Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    suydam said:
    I’m fine with negative reviews of vehicles people actually drove. It’s the opining on whole classes of vehicles that the poster has never even sat in that seems a waste of time to me.
    I call the “experts” who offer those worthless opinions “read testers.”

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited March 2019
    Well there are lots of people who review movies they've never seen, too. I think the habit comes from trying to be "predictive" ---if car company A has always produced cars that are boring to drive (and which the reviewer may have driven in some distant past) then it must hold true that the new car they haven't driven will also be boring to drive.

Same, too, if previous models have shown to be unreliable.

There is *some* logic to this habit, but you can only carry it so far.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited March 2019
    @stickguy ...I kind of like that 6-speed Fusion, too. Probably be a fun DD.

While I took notice of AMCs at the tail end of them being a company, I never understood the appeal. I don’t even think I know any of their models outside of the Gremlin, the Pacer and the AMX. The first two of those were considered disasters.

What is it they did that made them an ongoing concern when they were still making vehicles (save for Jeep)?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    manual 4-cyl Fusion = fun .... hmmm... I don't think so.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    That manual Fusion sounds great in theory, but it is probably a dog. I've driven the auto 4-cylinder fusion from that era and it was painful. I'm sure the manual makes it a bit more tolerable, but I don't think it would approach fun so much as livable.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096

Well there are lots of people who review movies they've never seen, too. I think the habit comes from trying to be "predictive" ---if car company A has always produced cars that are boring to drive (and which the reviewer may have driven in some distant past) then it must hold true that the new car they haven't driven will also be boring to drive.

Same, too, if previous models have shown to be unreliable.

There is *some* logic to this habit, but you can only carry it so far.

There is a lot of this even among the "professional" automotive press.

All Mazdas are driver's cars.

All Buicks are for old people.

All FCA vehicles are junk.

All Cadillacs cannot possibly be as good/better than the vehicles they compete with.

All Ford interiors are festooned with hard black plastic.

All French cars are quirky.

All Italian and British cars are unreliable.

All Hondas are near-perfect in reliability.

Same with Toyota, even the ancient Tacoma, which is the best compact pickup despite all its faults.

You get the picture.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    edited March 2019
    kyfdx said:

Not very many team drivers, any more. The 10 hour charging time wouldn't be as much of a problem, as getting enough spaces with chargers. Or course, driverless trucks solves a lot of those problems. ;)

Yes, no doubt! Honestly, if there were major arteries that ran the major city links, restricted to long-haul trucks only, it would be very easy to convert the entire long-haul system to driverless, and eliminate the biggest risk for trucks of any kind: Cars.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
     Nice and all of the above   Stick  guy! From CL
  • Options
     Good weed three above, should always strive for for me and opinion Type your comment
  • Options
    Yeah, there are a lot of vehicles I haven't driven... because they're not good enough for me to warrant driving. Stay away! :p
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Well, I think the French being quirky is a hard one to argue with!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Drove a Buick Encore at work yesterday and it was just fine. Accelerated just fine with the audio system being just a bit on the weaker side, probably needs an amp or just more power. Also drove a Chevy Trax and Buick does a better interior to be honest but, it was an "LT" and not a "Premier" edition. The "Premier" being their top of the line is probably fitted out nicer and does have the nicer alloy wheels. My kids new Chevy is really very nice so think eventually will look at a Trax Premier and see how it stacks up against whatever else gets on my short list. Right now, buying a new vehicle is the farthest thing from my mind!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Famous last words around here! 
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Drove a Buick Encore at work yesterday and it was just fine. Accelerated just fine with the audio system being just a bit on the weaker side, probably needs an amp or just more power. Also drove a Chevy Trax and Buick does a better interior to be honest but, it was an "LT" and not a "Premier" edition. The "Premier" being their top of the line is probably fitted out nicer and does have the nicer alloy wheels. My kids new Chevy is really very nice so think eventually will look at a Trax Premier and see how it stacks up against whatever else gets on my short list. Right now, buying a new vehicle is the farthest thing from my mind!

I doubt that the Trax, even in Premier trim, will be as nice as the mid level Buick trim. I say that because I have both. The Volt Premier is very very nice, but the Buick is that step up that really makes you feel like you’re driving a more luxe vehicle than it really is.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Also Buick has the longer warranty, 4/50 as compared to 3/36 with the Chevy. Just like the size really, it fits me like a glove. But not running out so fast to purchase as my Golf isn't at 52K yet. Close, but not quite there yet. Saw a pic of the 2020 Golf and it looks basically the same actually. No radical changes to speak of but would've liked a bit more if you know what I mean. It still screams VW Golf like it has for many years. A little bit more would've been better.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    edited March 2019
    Met surgeon today - really nice guy and he shares my warped sense of humor. I threw the resident under the bus and said that he was much nicer than the resident had said. 

Scheduled for April 22 at 0730 so need to leave home at 0400 to be there by 0530. 
    May spend the night at my buddy’s daughter (DO student) to avoid the early wake up. 

Three more things have gone wrong. Broke a crown and subwoofer that I ordered arrived damaged. 

Also wife was in Naples and MB needed serviced. Screen showed B and C service due so of course they do service A (we have 3 prepaid maintenance plan).  At least they owned it and ate that service so it doesn’t  even show up online as ever being done.  We just got B and C done in Indianapolis. 
  • Options

Also Buick has the longer warranty, 4/50 as compared to 3/36 with the Chevy. Just like the size really, it fits me like a glove. But not running out so fast to purchase as my Golf isn't at 52K yet. Close, but not quite there yet. Saw a pic of the 2020 Golf and it looks basically the same actually. No radical changes to speak of but would've liked a bit more if you know what I mean. It still screams VW Golf like it has for many years. A little bit more would've been better.

Golf design is always evolutionary, so you won't see anything radical, but there are notable differences, and I suspect you will feel it driving. But no, not a huge change. Always nice to get something different. I could never get the same car twice in a row!

I checked the RDX this evening, and at 6.5 years old exactly, we are at 52,250 miles. Rolling up a little quicker now that the wife is commuting 27 miles/day.

• Options

I saw a new Golf in my complex tonight. Looks like a very nice vehicle. I can see why you stick with it!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Went to an event in town. Coming back I see a couple walking around my Volt. My first thought, since the Encore is still in the shop, is Oh no, Somebody sideswiped my vehicle. I can’t stand it if ANOTHER vehicle goes down. As I get closer I find they are just admiring the car. They live in Northern California and just managed to snag one of the last Volts in LA this week. They liked the interior colors on mine (cognac leather trimmed in black). I’m getting the sense I will have to buy this vehicle when the lease is up. Really stupid of GM to cancel this car in my opinion, but they don’t consult me.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Mine is blue over an ivory interior, when I first saw it without tinted windows, it just blew me away. Decided right then and there, before a test drive, that this was going to be my next vehicle. Mind you, I had just purchased a Hyundai Tucson just a year ago and just wanted to see what VW had, since the wife had just bought her Audi A3. Remember the test drive went really well but the alloy wheels were a turn off for me, so any purchase would have to include swapping the wheels off a TDI model, I've got a TSI which has a regular turbo gas powered engine. The sales guy said sure but since I had no idea what my Tucson was worth, I thanked him and left.
    Within a week, I was back for another test drive. This time though, Car Max had given me a quote for my vehicle. We started to go back and forth. Again, the different alloys were part of the bargain. We were basically $1K off and I bring out the CarMax offer which was $1K more. He took that paper, shook my hand and said he'd match CarMax. We had a deal!! I was in shock as I never thought they'd go for it. And I'd never ever bought one vehicle and sold it a year later. But, I did and the next day, drove my new VW Golf home. And five years later, I still love it and have no plans to cut it from the herd yet. Next year...well, who knows!!

• Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    stickguy said:

I checked the RDX this evening, and at 6.5 years old exactly, we are at 52,250 miles. Rolling up a little quicker now that the wife is commuting 27 miles/day.

That's not a lot tho... the Jetta ended up going a year on its most recent service interval with only 9K miles... overall we're just past the 5.5 year mark and soon to hit 70K. Miles will continue to go on slowly now that the RDX is our main "weekend" car.

As for the RDX, I'm finally feeling more of a bond with it even though the wife gives me crap for still not having named it yet. Miles are at 46,8 now, got it with 39,5 at the end of September. At the current rate it will probably overtake the Jetta in mileage 3 years from now.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    stickguy said:

went out for coal fired pizza tonight and a few beers with the wife. Floated my idea to trade in the RDX on a loaner X3 for her. Did not get much traction on that. I think it might require a few more beers first. But, the seed is planted!

The meal sounds great!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    mjfloyd1 said:

Met surgeon today - really nice guy and he shares my warped sense of humor. I threw the resident under the bus and said that he was much nicer than the resident had said. 

Scheduled for April 22 at 0730 so need to leave home at 0400 to be there by 0530. 
    May spend the night at my buddy’s daughter (DO student) to avoid the early wake up. 

Three more things have gone wrong. Broke a crown and subwoofer that I ordered arrived damaged. 

Also wife was in Naples and MB needed serviced. Screen showed B and C service due so of course they do service A (we have 3 prepaid maintenance plan).  At least they owned it and ate that service so it doesn’t  even show up online as ever being done.  We just got B and C done in Indianapolis. 

Geez.. bummer about that subwoofer. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Zwest. Lol lol!
  • Options
    awd350  agreed  with your posting on the prayer page. Drive the car then talk. Local always based on the past. aType your comment
  • Options
    suydam said:

Went to an event in town. Coming back I see a couple walking around my Volt. My first thought, since the Encore is still in the shop, is Oh no, Somebody sideswiped my vehicle. I can’t stand it if ANOTHER vehicle goes down. As I get closer I find they are just admiring the car. They live in Northern California and just managed to snag one of the last Volts in LA this week. They liked the interior colors on mine (cognac leather trimmed in black). I’m getting the sense I will have to buy this vehicle when the lease is up. Really stupid of GM to cancel this car in my opinion, but they don’t consult me.

I agree with you about the Volt. This concept is actually the most realistic and real world view of how the future will mix fossil fuels, nuclear and renewables, and that no one will dominate.
  • Options
    from everything I read about them, it actually profiled as a perfect option for me. But, when I was looking, there was a very small supply local, and the leasing numbers were not very good. Plus IIRC they were all lower options cars. Probably should have gone to drive one anyway.

• Options
    Agreed.   With the above.
  • Options
    I would definitely consider buying one used, as the "commute" car, and keep the truck for dirty work and the C30 for fun.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    The first gens seemed to be really cheap on the used market. Not sure whether the second gen holds its value better. 
  • Options
    In CA, I'm seein' 2016 Volts in the $15K--$17K asking range. As you say, 1st gen are pretty cheap. You could probably pick a decent one up under $7500, like a 2010 or some such.
  • Options
    Volt didn’t come out until 2014 or 2015, right?
  • Options
    "General Motors held a ceremony at its Detroit Hamtramck Assembly Plant on November 30, 2010, to introduce the first Chevrolet Volt off the assembly line" ( wiki)
  • Options
    I stand corrected...where does the time go...
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Wasn't intending to correct you...I didn't know that myself. Yes, there is that little voice in our heads: "WHEEE! There goes your life....." Pretty soon Teslas will be bearing antique license plates.

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    That $173K 1994 Supra from the RM auction last weekend can wear historic license plates this year!
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    I'd really enjoy having a 330e M Sport for my commuter car; great fuel economy and almost fast.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    edited March 2019

Wasn't intending to correct you...I didn't know that myself. Yes, there is that little voice in our heads: "WHEEE! There goes your life....." Pretty soon Teslas will be bearing antique license plates.

Tell me about it. When I scanned those slides of the cars my family owned in the '70s that I posted last week, I also came across slides from the graduation of my MBA class in 1978. I still keep in touch with a buddy from back then, so I sent him a link to them today. It was a bit startling when I was composing the email to him when I realized I was about to tell him these pics were 40 years old. Cripes!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    This is a 20 year old car now:

This month is also my 24th anniversary with the fintail. Time flies indeed.
  • Options
    I picked up my ti in November of 1995 and my Wrangler in May of 2002. Everything else has come or gone in the past four years.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    After our blizzard last week (I got stuck out of town and ultimately traveled from Charlotte through Newark, then New Orleans, before returning to Denver a day late), some promising Spring weather this past Saturday made it virtually irresistible to go car browsing. :)

@michaell met me at the MINI store and I drove a couple vehicles - a 2016 Countryman S All4 "Park Lane" edition and a 2017 Clubman S All4 - both with manual trannies. Both were CPO with about 30k miles, and priced about the same. With the Clubman being the "updated" current gen of MINIs, it certainly felt more refined, both in interior quality and drivetrain.

Q - what would auction values be on a 2017 Clubman S All4 with 30k miles - manual trannie, and no added options to speak of?

We also browsed the BMW store - I REALLY liked the blue m-sport 330i in the showroom. In particular, I think the taillights on the new model are very sharp. And the wheels on the m-sport were beautiful.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    Oh yeah - the new m850i next to the 330i was sharp too. :)

• Options
    you get the new house with bigger garage yet? and is the Mini looking to replace the Miata, or just because 3 cars isn't enough?

• Options
    We are still waiting on our current house to sell, so we haven't moved yet.

The MINI is just another candidate to replace the Miata as a somewhat more practical second fun car. But with Spring just about here, my inclination is to keep the Miata for a while longer. But with the nice weather Saturday, my wife kindly suggested if I wanted to get out and look at any cars I should, so why not!

• Options
    Can someone explain the logic to me have not having optional parking sensors at every tier of mid-size 7 passenger SUV? It boggles my mind that on the likes of Highlander, Pilot, etc. you cannot get rear park assist without springing for the top tier models.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    breld said:

We are still waiting on our current house to sell, so we haven't moved yet.

The MINI is just another candidate to replace the Miata as a somewhat more practical second fun car. But with Spring just about here, my inclination is to keep the Miata for a while longer. But with the nice weather Saturday, my wife kindly suggested if I wanted to get out and look at any cars I should, so why not!

Wow, @breld, your wife is a dream.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928

Can someone explain the logic to me have not having optional parking sensors at every tier of mid-size 7 passenger SUV? It boggles my mind that on the likes of Highlander, Pilot, etc. you cannot get rear park assist without springing for the top tier models.

Yeah, that is pretty stupid. It should almost be standard these days. FWIW they do make kits to add them, but by the time you pay for the part and install probably better to just step up a trim level, especially on a lease.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    They have a BU camera. What do you need obnoxious sensors yapping at you too for? Front I can see a use for.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Maybe they want to allow people the blessed silence of no sensors, as well as not blaring at them for every false-positive that can be found.

During the winter months, I cannot reverse or drive at slow speed (after reversing) without having my car chirping at me like a flock of canaries. Most useless nanny ever.