Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    good thing the car I really want if I can make it work at the end of the year (Mazda 3) comes with the button.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    The first time I saw / experienced the push button start, I felt certain it was the wave of the future. I have to agree with Jayrider, it should be on all cars by now.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    corvette said:

graphicguy,
    What year is your CTS? Looks nice.

roadburner,
    I bought a riding lawn mower this year and switched to Mobil 1 at the first oil change. Now that I've relocated, I'm trying to sell the house which necessitated the riding lawn mower, so I guess someone will get a good deal on a very lightly used John Deere. :D

Thanks...2014!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    One thing about push button start I've already discovered on the ATS - it's nice, but really only makes sense if combined with proximity sensor door unlocking. Otherwise you still have to fish the fob out of wherever it is to get in and use the push button.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    that is true. Are there actually cars set up that way now? I seem to recall prox opening for the doors, but still needing the key?

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    edited October 2014
    I love keyless go in a MB, and wouldn't want a new car without it now. So nice to keep the fob in pocket. The cars with power trunk are cool too, kick to close etc.

I had a BMW rental where it had pushbutton start, but you had to put the fob in the dash. A little goofy.

Congrats, graphicguy, CTS have a real presence on the road.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Speedometer goes to 260, woo hoo!

Oh... ;)
    ab348 said:

I've created a folder with a few pics of the new 2014 ATS. More to come once the weather improves around here.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5ur3BZejEHGTkg2b3JuNE9RaFU&usp=sharing

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    sandy, i'll add my voice to the chorus regarding the push button start.

The wife's CX-7 has the push button on the door handle to unlock the car. Inside, there is a faux ignition switch that you turn to start the car - the key still stays in your pocket.

Daughter's MINI has the more common push-to-start button. Key remains in pocket.

My E-GT requires a key to start it - seems old fashioned by comparison and it's a hassle when I deliver as the key comes in and out of my pocket 15 or 20 times a night. I know the uplevel Elantras have the keyless go and if I'm still delivering when I get a new car it will be a must have.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883
    ab348 said:

One thing about push button start I've already discovered on the ATS - it's nice, but really only makes sense if combined with proximity sensor door unlocking. Otherwise you still have to fish the fob out of wherever it is to get in and use the push button.

My Fusion has the push button start and the door unlocks when you touch the handle, and locks when you touch a certain part of the handle. Same as others I have had.

When I was washing it in my driveway a few days ago, every time I swiped across the handles it would lock and unlock. Even the hose would do it. Made me chuckle. It must have done it 50 times until I finally took the fob out of my pocket and put it in the garage.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    stickguy said:

that is true. Are there actually cars set up that way now? I seem to recall prox opening for the doors, but still needing the key?

My wife's 2011 X3 (first year model) has the push button start.. No proximity access for the door. I think that was a $500 option, at the time. You can leave it in your pocket to start the car, though... A little frustrating. Especially, after having the 2011 Infiniti, which is properly equipped. (was... turned that one back in, last week).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

My wife's 2011 X3 (first year model) has the push button start.. No proximity access for the door. I think that was a $500 option, at the time. You can leave it in your pocket to start the car, though... A little frustrating. Especially, after having the 2011 Infiniti, which is properly equipped. (was... turned that one back in, last week).
    kyfdx...I haven't kept up here as much as the other car buying/selling thread. Didn't know you turned in the G. What's next? Another Infiniti? Another BMW? Something else?
  • Options
    Gotta say, I considered the push button start to be a step in the wrong direction when they first started to incorporate it into new(er) cars. I never had any issues with pulling the key out of my pocket and putting it into the ignition switch.

Now, I don't use the key for anything on the last few cars I've owned. Some of the rental cars I've had, require a key in the ignition. Now, that process feels weird.

The first BMW I had was a combo of the key in a slot, then pushing a button to start it. To me, I thought, what's the point of that? I thought it was silly and stupid, until I realized that BMW was CHARGING to activate keeping your key in your pocket to use a button to start the car. That really irritated me. I think they still do that, too.

This was several years ago, but I actually went to the Detroit International Automotive international Trade Show. If you're a "car person", you owe it to yourself to at least go once (in the brutally cold Detroit Winter).

GM was just starting to incorporate keyless start into their Cadillacs. But, in the models that had it, there was still a familiar tumbler on the steering column that you had to turn, even though you didn't need a key in it.

There were plenty of Cadillac engineers in their booth, so I took advantage of asking them why they just didn't use the button for keyless start. One of them laughed and said half kiddingly, and half seriously, ".....this is GM. You know how many steering columns they have in their warehouses of this same design?"

He went on to say that once they do a design for something like a steering column, testing it's robustness, it's fit into the vehicles it was designed for, etc. GM buys millions of them to get the best price. As such, they have a year or two of stock of parts like that. It was easier and cheaper to just make new ignition switches with no tumblers and install those in the steering columns.

He went onto say that if the competition hadn't already started adapting push bottom start, GM never would have done it because that would take a redesign of the dashboard and the electronics, too.

This was all "pre bankruptcy", so I'm assuming they are more responsive to the marketplace now.

But, sounds like Mazda was faced with the same dilema with their CXs not so long ago.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Honda Accord has push button start and just grab the handle to unlock. You are never fumbling for a key in cold or rainy weather. And as a side note, after I broke my wrist it was the car I could drive first after the cast came off. Something you would never think of until it happens.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Yeah, my current 535i starts with key in pocket, but does not have the "Comfort Access" option, so the fob has to be used to lock and unlock the doors. As many have pointed out, BMWs are annoying that way with that option. Not even sure if it's standard on the newer ones yet.

And yes, like everyone else, after having it on several previous vehicles, I do miss it on my current one.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    BTW, I took my 535i for routine service, which they said would take about an hour. When I dropped it off, they cited some recall that had to be done and said they could put me in a loaner.

That was Monday.

From what they're telling me, it's all about a software update that the car is not "accepting" so they are taking extra time with it. Cracks me up, but can't say I mind, since I have a loaner to put my high daily miles on.

Speaking of the loaner - they gave me an X1. Style-wise, it does strike me as a bit odd, and the interior seems a dated these days for a current model. But I'm finding myself enjoying the drive quite a bit - as pointed out by most reviews as well as us folks here, it certainly harkens back to "BMWs of old."

The seating position height is nice if you like to sit up a bit, but not "climb" into a car. The interior room is a bit tight if you're comparing it to a "real" SUV, but it's on par with something like my wife's GTI. It drives like a small car - agile handling and wonderful steering feel.

I wouldn't necessarily give up the comfort of my 5 for it, but it does make me think I may move toward something a bit smaller like a 3-series GT or 4-series GC next.

Anyway - for anyone in the market for a compact hatchback should definitely consider the X1, particularly if AWD is important.

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I echo what everyone here has said about push button start and unlocking/locking the doors with the touch of a hand. Once you have it you'll never want another car without it.
  • Options
    breld said:

BTW, I took my 535i for routine service, which they said would take about an hour. When I dropped it off, they cited some recall that had to be done and said they could put me in a loaner.

That was Monday.

From what they're telling me, it's all about a software update that the car is not "accepting" so they are taking extra time with it. Cracks me up, but can't say I mind, since I have a loaner to put my high daily miles on.

Speaking of the loaner - they gave me an X1. Style-wise, it does strike me as a bit odd, and the interior seems a dated these days for a current model. But I'm finding myself enjoying the drive quite a bit - as pointed out by most reviews as well as us folks here, it certainly harkens back to "BMWs of old."

The seating position height is nice if you like to sit up a bit, but not "climb" into a car. The interior room is a bit tight if you're comparing it to a "real" SUV, but it's on par with something like my wife's GTI. It drives like a small car - agile handling and wonderful steering feel.

I wouldn't necessarily give up the comfort of my 5 for it, but it does make me think I may move toward something a bit smaller like a 3-series GT or 4-series GC next.

Anyway - for anyone in the market for a compact hatchback should definitely consider the X1, particularly if AWD is important.

breed....at one point, the X1 was pretty high on my shopping list. For someone who doesn't need all the room of an SUV, and rarely shuffles more than a couple of people around, I thought they were pretty nice vehicles.

I looked at them about 3 years ago and thought they were getting long in the tooth. If they haven't changed, then they really must be aging, now.

IIRC, a totally loaded X1 35i was all loaded up for right around $45K, which didn't seem like a bad deal at the time. Not sure what they go for now.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Wow...I haven't been here in awhile and SO MANY posts to read!

Reading about expensive repair costs is almost enough to not want to own a car that isn't under warranty. On an older car one expensive problem will usually exceed the value of the car.

A few years ago, a close friend had scheduled an oil leak repair on his Cadillac with the Northstar engine. This is the repair that requires the engine to be pulled and taken completely apart. Very common on those and a nasty 5000.00 job. I had advised him to dump the car but it didn't have a lot of miles on it and he really loved it.

A couple of days before the shop was to do the work, he got t-boned by a delivery van and the car was totaled. I think he got 4500.00.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    I enjoy the keyless go in my car. Part of the entertainment factor is that my start button lights up and pulses like a heartbeat. One thing, make sure you have consistent pressure on the brake pedal, or you may get a misfire! Or, maybe that's just my car...

I did have a Lucas moment last week: Infotainment screen went dead. I still had functionality with redundant buttons, but anything strictly screen controlled (e.g. heated seats/steering wheel and which of 3 FM station groups to choose) was MIA. Rebooted the car, no issue since. Will mention it to dealer at first (free) service in December.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    edited October 2014
    breld said:

That was Monday.

The X1 is the only BMW my wife still likes, she -like me- thinks most new Bimmers are oversized and overweight. Other than that, she likes the Mini Cooper- but the local dealer soured her on purchasing one. Reliability concerns aside, she loves the Fiat 500 1957 Edition, and with the deep discounts she may flip her 328i for one sooner than later(she's the only one that drives it- given the choice I'll take almost anything else in the garage).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    edited October 2014
    I didn't report the purchase it last month, but I got a new 2014 Ford C-Max Energi, in Ice Storm Metallic color. I love the car. Replaced a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. I used to get cars about every year or two, so I know the attraction of that new set of wheels!

I mention it now because one of the things I really like is the push-button start, keyless entry, and the ability to open the hatch by swiping my foot under the bumper. These are must haves for any new cars I get!

EDIT: Except for the hatch opening capability if I get a sedan!
  • Options

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

kyfdx...I haven't kept up here as much as the other car buying/selling thread. Didn't know you turned in the G. What's next? Another Infiniti? Another BMW? Something else?

Bought my son a car, this summer, so we were up to 4.. Now that the G has gone back, three cars for three drivers.. That does seem like we are a couple short, right? So.. nothing for now.. Always on the lookout. Wife drives the X3 (bought used, about 18 months ago), I still have the '06 330 coupe.. Son drives a '95 M3 with just 207K on the clock..

I only have 85K miles on mine... So, another 18 months or more, before I trade (or, next week.. who knows?)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    She's pleased no one has had any issues and says thanks. All this keyless and push button stuff suits her just fine, she's always got stuff in her hands and this would free things up a bit. Add to that all the safety features, not sure she really can or wants to do without them. I've pulled myself away from the situation now and said I'd gladly take her to the Miami International Car Show if she wants to go but with her new accounting gigs, she just might not have the time. And she did let me know last night that her a/c is d o a so should prove interesting when we go to make a deal. This is the exact reason why I pushed for it to be put out to pasture last year while it was still working! Oh well, her choice, her money!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Sounds like she would love the feature sandy. This is the most obvious choice I gave seen in a long time. Just Do it and be done.

Maybe they won't ask about the AC. If they do, just shrug and say you have no idea what is wrong. It is the truth!

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798

The wife wants me to ask in here...has anyone ever had an issue with push button start systems? She's seriously considering the Mazda but it's got the push button start and she's just not sure. I drive many at work but don't have to live with one on a daily basis. So any stories, good or bad, please let me know.

So, I am, as always, way behind the times in terms of responding here.

My Fiesta has the push-button start, which I thought was rather gimmicky. Also, I had the worry of, "okay, so how does the system respond if the car *doesn't* start?" Well, I am pretty happy with it. If anything, it is annoying (in a good way) because when I drive the Forester, I'm always forgetting to get the key out of my pocket before I sit down in the car! I don't remember the last time I only entered the car once to drive away. Most of the time it is: 1. sit in the car, 2. realize I forgot to get my key out, 3. either contort myself to fish out the key or step out of car, access key, sit in the car again, 4. start the car.

I even had a single instance where the Fiesta flooded when it was extremely cold outside (I had not plugged in the car, and flooding can happen easily during extreme cold). I had to clear the car to start it, and it behaved exactly as I would if I were turning the key by hand.

Final verdict? Happy with it! It will not be a "deal breaker" feature on future cars, but, if it is there, I'll take it!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2014
    I'd be missing the keypad deadbolt our rental condo had but we enter the new place through the garage door and don't keep the door between the house and the garage locked.

The proximity thing would be great, but I'd probably use the fob all the time to lower the windows and I often use the fob approaching the van to open one of the sliding doors to dump groceries in. A foot operated hatch would suffice there. B)
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Bought my son a car, this summer, so we were up to 4.. Now that the G has gone back, three cars for three drivers.. That does seem like we are a couple short, right? So.. nothing for now.. Always on the lookout. Wife drives the X3 (bought used, about 18 months ago), I still have the '06 330 coupe.. Son drives a '95 M3 with just 207K on the clock..

I only have 85K miles on mine... So, another 18 months or more, before I trade (or, next week.. who knows?)
    Somehow I missed the X3. I thought your wife was driving the G, and your son the recent M3, with you in the 330.

Thing move quickly around here.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    breld said:

Yeah, my current 535i starts with key in pocket, but does not have the "Comfort Access" option, so the fob has to be used to lock and unlock the doors. As many have pointed out, BMWs are annoying that way with that option. Not even sure if it's standard on the newer ones yet.

And yes, like everyone else, after having it on several previous vehicles, I do miss it on my current one.

I did some research and on the 2014 ATS proximity unlocking is included in an option package. So pushbutton start is standard in all but the rest of it is extra. Mine doesn't have it and I'm not sure it's even available on what they call the "Standard Collection" (base model) ATS. Apparently you have to spend $4K more to move up to the Luxury Collection for that.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    of all odd things to wander across while browsing the Net, and actually like, was this. Of course, that is based on stuff like colors/equipment, and might not survive a test drive. Though would be a fine option for sending off to college with a kid. Just like having a rental car!

http://www.drivedavid.com/used/Chrysler/2012-Chrysler-200-179b87d50a0a000216893e9efe0fa644.htm

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    stickguy said:

of all odd things to wander across while browsing the Net, and actually like, was this. Of course, that is based on stuff like colors/equipment, and might not survive a test drive. Though would be a fine option for sending off to college with a kid. Just like having a rental car!

http://www.drivedavid.com/used/Chrysler/2012-Chrysler-200-179b87d50a0a000216893e9efe0fa644.htm

I don't see any miles quoted ... but, looks fully loaded for the price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    11,000 miles. nice and low. includes navi and sun and sound package.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    fintail said:

I had a BMW rental where it had pushbutton start, but you had to put the fob in the dash. A little goofy.

BMW did that for several years--had the fob but no buttons on the door and you had to insert the fob into the dash. Keyless ignition/passive entry ("comfort access" in their option list) was about $500 extra. In fact, when I ordered my early-build 2006 E90, I seem to recall comfort access wasn't even available, but was available towards the end of the model year. Not many people bought the option back then. It may still be optional for all I know.
  • Options
    venture said:

When I was washing it in my driveway a few days ago, every time I swiped across the handles it would lock and unlock. Even the hose would do it. Made me chuckle. It must have done it 50 times until I finally took the fob out of my pocket and put it in the garage.

I had this problem on the GLI, too. A consequence of not having a "hard" pushbutton like Nissan and some others. On the GLI, it messed up the keyless for several hours, and I kept getting a message on the dash "keyless defective." Once the car dried off and everything got resynchronized, it was fine. Not really a defect, just something that happens if you spray the thing with a hose with your key in your pocket. It behaves itself if you leave the key inside the car, which is what I usually do when I'm washing it by hand.

Agree with others that it's a great feature.

Was going to give it a hand wash the other day and realized I left my bucket at my old house. Something to bring back on the next trip, but will probably be too cold for a hand wash by then! B)
  • Options
    corvette said:

venture said:

I had this problem on the GLI, too. A consequence of not having a "hard" pushbutton like Nissan and some others. On the GLI, it messed up the keyless for several hours, and I kept getting a message on the dash "keyless defective." Once the car dried off and everything got resynchronized, it was fine. Not really a defect, just something that happens if you spray the thing with a hose with your key in your pocket. It behaves itself if you leave the key inside the car, which is what I usually do when I'm washing it by hand.

Agree with others that it's a great feature.

Was going to give it a hand wash the other day and realized I left my bucket at my old house. Something to bring back on the next trip, but will probably be too cold for a hand wash by then! B)
    You really should use two buckets if you care about your paint. Use one for the suds and another to rinse off the wash mitt before dipping it in the suds bucket. You will be amazed how much dirt and grit is in the rinse bucket when you are finished - grit that you would probably have dragged across your paint. There is also a "grit guard" you can buy that sits in the bottom of the rinse bucket that sits up a few inches from the bottom of the bucket so the mitt doesn't go into the muck when rinsing.

Of course, it goes without saying (but I will anyway) don't use dish soap.

• Options
    never thought of the 2 bucket plan. Might have to try that. I do make sure to only take from the top, so if any dirt got into the bucket, I hope it would sink out of the way.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    I drive 200's all the time and they really aren't all that bad, especially the loaded up one's with the larger 18" wheels. that rig looks to have it all and truthfully, though not cool, it would be the perfect college parking lot vehicle! All the goodies like navi and XM plus the all important roof, what's there not to like! It's just not "cool" and suspect even the Volvo would rank a bit higher on the cool scale. If I were looking for a dependable good car for my kid, I'd give this one a serious look. Do prefer the 6 over the 4 but the mileage is better in the 4.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options

@kydfx said:

Make sure to check with me before you go selling that ZHP of yours! At the rate I'm going, I'll still be in the market for one when you're ready. :)

• Options
    venture said:

You really should use two buckets if you care about your paint. Use one for the suds and another to rinse off the wash mitt before dipping it in the suds bucket. You will be amazed how much dirt and grit is in the rinse bucket when you are finished - grit that you would probably have dragged across your paint. There is also a "grit guard" you can buy that sits in the bottom of the rinse bucket that sits up a few inches from the bottom of the bucket so the mitt doesn't go into the muck when rinsing.

I'm on the one bucket plan, but I rinse off the mitt with the nozzle every now and then. I also don't clean the bottom part of the car (dirtiest) until I'm done with everything else, then hit the wheels/tires. I use Dawn to wash the car before applying Zaino sealant, per their instructions. Any other time, I generally use Zaino's wash.
  • Options
    corvette said:

venture said:

I'm on the one bucket plan, but I rinse off the mitt with the nozzle every now and then. I also don't clean the bottom part of the car (dirtiest) until I'm done with everything else, then hit the wheels/tires. I use Dawn to wash the car before applying Zaino sealant, per their instructions. Any other time, I generally use Zaino's wash.
    10-4 on the Dawn. I used it before starting the pre-winter protection plan. After doing the Bug and Tar remover, Iron X, clay bar, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant, Pinnacle Souveran, and Pinnacle Crystal Mist there will be no more Dawn until starting over which, I hope, is a long time from now. (when are the emotorcons going to be fixed?)

• Options
    corvette said:

venture said:

I use Rainbow Car Wash... it's at the corner of Madison Road and the Red Bank Expwy.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    kyfdx said:

corvette said:

venture said:

I use Rainbow Car Wash... it's at the corner of Madison Road and the Red Bank Expwy.
    BLASPHEMY!!!

:D
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    People still wash cars?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Looking through my manual, I ran across this little blurb.

"Application of after market sealants/waxes is not recommended".

It went on to say that if the paint gets damaged to take it to your dealer.

Interesting!
  • Options
    meaning they want you to buy your wax at the dealer, or just not wax it?

• Options
    kyfdx said:

corvette said:

venture said:

Is that place still open?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Looking through my manual, I ran across this little blurb.

"Application of after market sealants/waxes is not recommended".

It went on to say that if the paint gets damaged to take it to your dealer.

Interesting!

That is interesting. My manual only says: "Use a quality wax that does not contain
    abrasives."

A paint sealant is a synthetic wax. After applying they should sit undisturbed for around 12 hours to cure. They reduce the surface tension so they shed water and grime better. They protect better from UV rays, acid rain, etc. They will last around 6 months +- while a good carnauba wax may last a month or two.

I follow the sealant with a good carnauba just for the shine.

Or you can just take it to the corner car wash a few times a month. (smiley face)

• Options
    Not that I want to get involved (or, do I?) with an older, high mileage Benz, but I find this particular one to be gorgeous. Love this style, and the color combo.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4742159208.html

• Options

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

venture said:

Is that place still open?

Open and thriving

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    stickguy said:

Not that I want to get involved (or, do I?) with an older, high mileage Benz, but I find this particular one to be gorgeous. Love this style, and the color combo.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4742159208.html

That is a great looking car, but the potential maintenance costs would scare me off. But hey, you only live once ;)
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    @stickguy‌

I still think you are nuts to be looking at 10 year old MBs. While really nice, you can lease something so cheap this month or next month that it is absurd. Go cheap for under $200 per month & something decent for under $250 per month.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD