Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    kyfdx said:

Well as you know I am no big fan of BMW reliability history but I always thought their engines were pretty sweet regardless. I guess I'm just a sucker for the 'ol straight 6 of bygone years. It's my favorite config.

Whaddaya mean, "bygone". Straight six in all three BMWs at my house. ;)
    Lucky! Hold on to those gems!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    edited February 2016
    speaking of BMWs, my local guy is getting a 328 in a great looking color combo. No pictures yet. I thought 2013 was still the 6, but this shows as being the 4? In any case, loaded. Over $12,000 in packages. Must have just about every option imaginable. Good miles.

Dang. Why am I not in the market? Maybe Bradd should buy it!

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2013-bmw-3_series-328i_xdrive-used-14682646.html

They do have a prior gen 2013 coupe with the 6 that looks nice. If you want a coupe. And less money.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2013-bmw-3_series-328i_xdrive-used-14383932.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    @stickguy - 2013 was the 1st year of the F30 new body style for sedans.  I had one a few times as a loaner and was underwhelmed.  The 4cyl turbo mated to the 8speed automatic is definitely a winning combination.  If say the chassis is tuned for sharper and more dynamic handling when compared to my former E90 328xi.  The car just felt very soft & isolated to me.  @au1994 had a 2013 335i Sport Pkg car that he couldn't wait to get rid of either.  If I were to look at used BMWs, I'd say the car would have to have a "35" designation for me to even remotely consider it.

I'd seriously consider a CPO IS350 F-Sport.  I think performance wise it is more comparable with the 328.  A 335 would wipe the floor with it.  The adaptive suspension and buttery smooth 300 + hp V6 would draw me into the dealer & Lexus' unlimited mile CPO (6 years from in service) would get me to look at a CPO car out of my comfort zone.  I wouldn't be looking for the ultra low mileage cream puff with the galactic high sticker price.  I'd strongly consider a 2 year old 40K example as long as everything checks out.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I may stop at auto lenders (big chain near me) to drive a 2015 328. Just, why not? They just give you the keys and say have fun. Plus non-commissioned sales people, so not stealing any ups!

Keep in mind that I will be coming out of a Sonata. So entirely possible that an F30 would be a dynamic improvement! I also doubt I would ever go over the top for a 335. Really have no need for it, or the extra LT cost. But I have also never driven one, so might be underwhelmed.

I can't drive an IS. At least the last generation. The massive hump in front of the gas pedal is a deal breaker for me. Honestly, if I was getting a Lexus, it would be an ES. Love the seats and interior! Plus I am old, so might be right up my alley (this, from the guy that last summer came within inches of leasing a Civic Si!)

Entirely possible the Infiniti could be on the list too. Probably a 2016 by then. I think the Q50 is getting a refresh for 16?

Going to the car show Saturday. Gonna sit in them all, and see what feels good.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    nyccarguy said:

Lexus' unlimited mile CPO (6 years from in service) would get me to look at a CPO car out of my comfort zone.

It's a late model Toyota. Do you really need a CPO?
  • Options
    on a Lexus or Infiniti, for sure, I would buy at the local guy for thousands less, and skip the extended warranty.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    @stickguy An F30 needs the Adaptive M Suspension and Variable Sport Steering to even come close to prior 3 series cars in terms of a sporting feel.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    corvette said:
    Lexus' unlimited mile CPO (6 years from in service) would get me to look at a CPO car out of my comfort zone.
    It's a late model Toyota. Do you really need a CPO?
    I guess not.  I'd have to go and try to find a non-CPO (plain ole used).  

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    nyccarguy said:

oh boy!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    That's a happy Subaru.
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Nice picture @nyccarguy! Perfect weather for the Legacy. :)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    kyfdx said:

Well as you know I am no big fan of BMW reliability history but I always thought their engines were pretty sweet regardless. I guess I'm just a sucker for the 'ol straight 6 of bygone years. It's my favorite config.

Badly worded--I was being nostalgic for the M30, one of my favorite engines.
  • Options
    What's that white stuff all over your car? Volcanic ash?
  • Options
    Just sold the ZHP 'vert. Great car, but hardly saw any use.

Got a call from the buyer last night; based on the description he said he wanted it. Met this morning at my bank - he barely looked at the car and didn't even want to drive it. Went into the bank, he transferred the funds directly to my account (he banks at the same bank), and he was on his way.

I mean, I know it's a good car in great shape so my conscience is good, but he sure was trusting about it all.

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    WOW.
    That boarders on unbelievable -
    I believe you, if course, just amazing transaction !
    Good for you !
    - Ray
    WOW
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Apparently the breld brand is famous enough you don't need to check out the iron.

Though this is pretty much how eBay works.

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    Congrats on the flip breld. Guess that opens up space in the stable

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    stickguy said:

Apparently the breld brand is famous enough you don't need to check out the iron.

- I never even saw the ZHP. Guess having lunch once every 3 or 4 months means the entire fleet turns over between meals.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    au1994 said:
    Congrats on the flip breld. Guess that opens up space in the stable
    Oh yes!

• Options
    stickguy said:

It's a CBO !!

• Options
    As soon as the A3 gets moved, will be room for another new car in the fleet.

• Options
    "Slow down, you're goin' too fast...got to make the morning last..."

Here's one recent purchase that didn't work out too well for the buyer....poor guy...it *was* a beautiful car a few weeks ago...

BEFORE

AFTER

• Options
    I'm no mechanic, but I think the alignment might be out just a tad.

Beautiful car before. Very sad ending. At least engine is OK!

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Turbo right? One can guess what happened.
  • Options
    Yeah, but it is a 996 engine with over 100K on it, so not going to be an easy sell. Might get $7500 for it, might have to settle for $6000. But they could actually run it, so that will help. Insurance company will own the car, and auction it to a wrecking yard I'm sure. It was in beautiful condition for the mileage though. Obviously a loved automobile. Amazing, the doors open and close. These are strong cars.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    breld said:

i mean, I know it's a good car in great shape so my conscience is good, but he sure was trusting about it all.

Perhaps unusual, but, not your problem either way! :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Find a Porsche that got rear ended, a saws all and a case of beer, and good to go.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I've actually seen that done, but not front to back, rather side-to-side--older Porsche. I don't know if it's feasible on a newer one.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266

stickguy said:

It's a CBO !!

I like that..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

kyfdx said:

Badly worded--I was being nostalgic for the M30, one of my favorite engines.
    I had two- one in the Bavaria and the other in my E28 535is. Wonderful engine. Alpina actually built some E30 M3s with a hotted-up M30 replacing the S14; while you'd lose a bit of nimbleness I'd bet it was consderably quicker and cheaper to maintain...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    breld said:

Just sold the ZHP 'vert. Great car, but hardly saw any use.

Got a call from the buyer last night; based on the description he said he wanted it. Met this morning at my bank - he barely looked at the car and didn't even want to drive it. Went into the bank, he transferred the funds directly to my account (he banks at the same bank), and he was on his way.

I mean, I know it's a good car in great shape so my conscience is good, but he sure was trusting about it all.

That's about what happened with my M6; the buyer asked me to drive it, wrote me a check for 20% of the asking price and said he'd be back the next day with the rest. Easiest sale I ever had.

• Options
    From 2addicts- one less M235i:

oops.jpg 130.2K

• Options
    Not yours I hope!

• Options
    Tire pressure was probably half a pound low, I hear that impacts M cars :)
  • Options
    Not an easy car to flip.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Lemme guess: the story starts with "so I was playing around with traction control turned off..."

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Nah. Today's day and age, the kid was probably trying to take a selfie while taking the corner. You have got to try hard to flip a car like that.

• Options
    If he ran up that embankment, that could do it. Also being T-boned could do it.
  • Options
    If the kid is the driver, I will wager an awful lot of money that it was a single vehicle accident. Also that his daddy is some kind of moron, and there won't be much accountability. Probably has a new one now.

I'll go with underinflated tire ( It's an old joke ) combined with a selfie.
  • Options
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

- I never even saw the ZHP. Guess having lunch once every 3 or 4 months means the entire fleet turns over between meals.
    Well, gotta have lunch more often. ;)

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you blow the pic up 1,000% you can see a honeybee resting on the right headlamp....
  • Options
    stickguy said:

As soon as the A3 gets moved, will be room for another new car in the fleet.

Well, we'll see. Plan is to take the proceeds from these two sales and pay down some existing car debt. All this indulging hasn't come without loans.

Here's the funny thing on this ZHP sale. On the phone last night, the buyer offered about a grand less than my bottom line, and I asked if he was specifically targeting a ZHP. His response? "Uh, what's a ZHP?"

So I gave him a brief description of the package, and then respectfully said that he could find a non-ZHP convertible for his price all day long.

Well, he came up to my bottom line, paying $3,000 more than "excellent" KBB private party value. I expected that premium from a "ZHP buyer" but I find it curious that this guy, who didn't even know what the ZHP package was until last night, was willing to pay that premium.

• Options
    breld said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Agreed, but my work load has increased the last few months, making it harder to break away for a meet up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    Michaell said:

breld said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Agreed, but my work load has increased the last few months, making it harder to break away for a meet up.
    No worries - hopefully we can line up the schedules for the auto show.

• Options
    Well, an old guy(older than me anyway) in a new Taurus Limited-complete with a bright yellow UAW sticker-tried to race me at a light today. Suffice it to say that it did not end well for him.

• Options
    Some people, when they want a car, they just buy the car:

Will That Be Cash or Charge Or....ahem....Bitcoin?
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Maybe the buyer of the ZHP knows the drug dealer who was the original owner and has hopes he will find something tucked away inside the doors. ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
     My car clicked over 39,000 miles today on my way to my delivery job. I have seven months left in my lease, and only 6000 miles left before I go over. I think it will be close… 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Michaell said:

My car clicked over 39,000 miles today on my way to my delivery job. I have seven months left in my lease, and only 6000 miles left before I go over. I think it will be close… 

Sounds like a good candidate for early turn-in.

Of course, I guess that would require another Hyundai.