2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Engine Hesitation (All makes/models)

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think more to the point is that the Japanese in particular always had a reputation, when it came to new models or components, of "doing their homework". What that means is that by the time the consumer gets the product, it is de-bugged. I have no idea why this all wasn't picked up in pre-testing. It's not like the cylinder heads that lift after 4-5 years, etc.--this seems to occur pretty much right from the get-go.

Did they not notice? Did they think people wouldn't mind? I wonder....
  • Options
    scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    It could be that it has to do with needing to meet tougher EPA standards. If they were finishing up the design of a system they had been testing and honing for years and the standards changed as they are nearing completion, it may be that they just had to do something quickly. Just a guess. But you would think that by three years later they could have had the bugs worked out.
  • Options
    cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Regarding new TSB for 5sp Transmission hesitation, would it get fix permanently this time ? or it is just a band-aid only.

Here is the list that Lexus/Toyota provided, and none of them worked!
    Let's pray this time. :cry:

Bulletins for 2002 Lexus ES 300 V6-2995cc 3.0L DOHC MFI

TC004-03R AUG 03 A/T - Poor Shift Quality
    TC002-02 JUN 02 A/T - Harsh 2nd to 3rd Gear Shift at High Altitude
  • Options
    bkinblkbkinblk Member Posts: 198
    The thing is, the new fix is for the new model with the 3.3 engine and it may be the same as the old fix. I will know more tomorrow when I take my Camry to the Lexus dealer and talk to my "friend" in the service department. He's straight up. Meanwhile, Toyota should really step up and fast track the alleged fix. My car is my office, and I now hate going to my office. I've had 25-30 cars, and this thing drives like it's totally confused. It's something I never, ever expected from Toyota. Do you think any PR guy from Toyota reads this forum? Do they realize how out of hand their problem could get? We are now approaching 900 posts, and it's consistently among the most active posts on Edmunds.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    this whole problem started back as early as 2001, possibly earlier. My 2001 AWD RX300 definitely, DEFINITELY, does the upshifting when the throttle is closed, gas pedal released. I have little doubt that the upshifting sequence was programmed into the engine/transmission ECU in order to improve MPG ratings and reduce emissions.

But my RX300 ALWAYS responds, virtually instantly, with a downshift when I depress the throttle.

But I have NO QUESTION that something is wrong within my transmission. At 38k miles my transmission fluid began to look very dirty and smelled burnt. I changed out the fluid. Same thing at the next oil change so I changed out the fluid, 4 quarts, again. Within a week it looked dirty again. Change out the fluid, drop and clean the sump pan, also drain the ATF from the diff'l. 5 quarts this time.

A week later and the fluid is still looking okay.

Something is contaminating my transaxle fluid enough to prevent it from functioning properly as a simple hydraulic fluid.

Additionally there seems to be far too many reports of premature transaxle failures in the RX300 series such as mine.

So I think, my surmise, is that Toyota has "fixed" the premature failures in the RX300 series by eliminating the quick downshifts in the RX330 series.

Suppose, when my RX does a "quick" downshift, the previously commanded upshift is still in progress and now the newly commanded downshift results in the transaxle being in two gear ratios simultaneously for a few millseconds, say 80 to 100. No big deal in the short term but after 40k miles the fluid is so contaminated with the clutch frictional surface wear debris it cannot fully function as designed.

The fix...

Change the firmware programming on the RX330 series to prevent any downshifts until the previously commanded upshift is complete.

Importance to the EPA or CARB?

NONE!

Complaints of engine hesitation begin to be noticed.

Change the firmware back to the revision for the RX300 series?

Then who picks up the tab for all those failed, within warranty, transaxles?

Eliminate the upshift sequence altogether, or delay the upshift sequence?

No, NO, NO, says the EPA and CARB!

Toyota is in a TOUGH PLACE.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,202
    > of "doing their homework". What that means is that by the time the consumer >gets the product, it is de-bugged

I don't agree with that. It sounds like you're saying the American car companies didn't troubleshoot in advance of delivery...
    And I read the Pilot and Accord discussions here. The new model Accord had many problems that seemed to run through the model and the Pilot had (has) some problems that should have been found in advance of delivery.

I won't mention the sludge issue that runs through some Toyotas and Volkswagens.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Tighter regulations (mpg/emissions) seem to be at the root of some of these recent problems. It was discussed as a potential problem regarding sludge and it is being implicated here as well. This would not be a Toyota-only problem, but should be across the board, unless other manufacturers have found better ways to deal with the tighter regs.
  • Options
    "It sounds like you're saying the American car companies didn't troubleshoot in advance of delivery... "

Not quite what I'm saying.

I'm saying that American car companies, especially in the 1970s and 80s, didn't debug their products prior to releasing them on the market, so the customer got to do the R&D. Honda and Toyota on the other hand, released cars that were, for the most part, "good to go" and didn't not manifest catastophic failures of major components. So the Japanese got a reputation for reliability that was really based on excellent R&D. They "did their homework" whereas American automakers rushed product to market to "keep up".

It's not like that now, but my point was that with the intense competition and intense pressure to conform to regulations, maybe Toyota rushed something (think of US space program issues...)
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Was just reading an article in the current Motor Trend about the new redesigned VW Jetta...It seems that their test car exhibited what sounds to me like a hesitation from a stop, and also commented on its downshifting while braking...I don't know if this vehicle has DBW.

They has this to say:

"Our test car was sticky on throttle tip-in, causing pause-then jerk-away starts however velvelty the right foot probed..." Later thay said "...under braking background downshifts can sometimes be felt as a mild tug."
  • Options
    wwest- that's true. Today I read an article about the new Infiniti M. It has a 5 speed DBW transmission that upshifts and downshifts flawlessly. The technology is there, it's just that Toyota probably has determined it would be too expensive to fix correctly. The weird thing is if Toyota knew about the problem years ago, why didn't they fix it for my brand new Camry?
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    yeah shifty - i find it interesting that imidazol97 concluded that you had some meta-message about domestic manufacturers and rushing a design to market which wasn't fully tested.

proves even a well crafted post from an automotive person (not a reporter) can lead to mis-interpretation, or a questioning of motivation or communication prowness.

its interesting that two other posters here keep taking what is obvious to some, non-genuine shots at the postings of others or the reports of people experiencing and reporting the hesitation here.

i drive a non-DBW 5spd that does not hesitate (or gear hunt). if this hesitation affects everyone's 5spd transmissions to a more or lesser extent - i guess i'm either lucky or quite insensitive to the phenomenon then.

other people with the same DBW-5spd models, from one particular manufacturer - the same as other posters reporting an issue with hesitation, claim that they do not have a hesitation (or gear hunt) problem either. are they just lucky or insensitive also?

a number of people have reported the hesitation issue to an agency considering a further investigation of the issue.

a certain manufacturer steps up and admits to having an issue with hesitation and claims to be actively researching / working to mitigate the issue.
  • Options
    I think the answer to your question is simpler than that---I think it's just common that a "defect" or "glitch" in a mass produced product does not affect all the products, because of the variations in manufacturing, adaptations over time in design of the component, method of use by the owner, climate, location of the car, dealer service, etc.

If Car X has a "history of head gasket failure", that means maybe 5 out of 100 cars, not 100 out of 100. A company with 100% failure rate would be out of business (can you say "Yugo"?).

So it is the "norm" to experience completely opposed testimony from two owners of two identical cars.
  • Options
    true true. when manufacturing, one expects some distribution in the sample. N defects better be small, or that product is going nowhere pretty fast.

one would think then, if only a small fraction of vehicles exhibit the issue, then:
    a). dealers wouldn't tell people "they all do it"
    b). they'd fix the vehicles that exhibited the problem

either they don't understand the problem (which i highly doubt), or perhaps it is large N (which I have trouble believing), or they've made a calculated decision not to correct the out-lyers and to stick with a design that has a characteristic which now they can't completely mitigate with SW for whatever reason.

now i don't understand the solution space, because i don't know the problem space or how it may be mitigated, but i speculate there is a HW component that cannot be corrected by SW. SW is relatively cheap and easy. Its HW which can be time consuming, costly, and even perhaps risky to fix.

on the other hand, there's something attractive about the argument that they achieved some rating on emissions or fuel economy based on their design, and altering will cost them that rating.

in the end, if people really feel their safety is compromised, i think you should be more willing to see it as a safety issue. think stimulus-response and also increased mental load when automation doesn't work as expected. a momentary hesitation you aren't expecting can leave someone mentally reconciling and thus performance impared, regardless of the vehicle's ability to respond!

"system" = (human + vehicle), and input/output transfer process and performance is a complex function of both entities and their interaction.
  • Options
    pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    I'd appreciate knowing what it is you meant/who you were referring to when you said: "two other posters here keep taking what is obvious to some, non-genuine shots at the postings of others or the reports of people experiencing and reporting the hesitation here."
    I'd be particularly interested in knowing what a "non genuine shot" is.
    Thanks.

FYI, if what you meant is what I think you meant, I can assure you at least one of those two other posters will quietly go away and leave y'all to your ruminations.
  • Options
    Let's not go there, please.

Let's try to keep our comments directed toward ideas, components, cars, machinery, the industy, etc. and not toward other people in this forum. That's a good rule of thumb.
  • Options
    Dealers are, as most of us know, independent franchisees, and the service writers work for the dealer, not for Toyota. So when you hear "they all do that", that is not Toyota talking necessarily. That's important to keep in mind.
    If you heard it from a factory technician who is visiting the dealer, then that IS Toyota talking.

As for customer service responses, I used to train those people, and I can tell you that they don't often know what's going on in the big picture. They are front line troops thrown in to blunt attacks but don't always know the strategy of the generals. Their view is quite limited in scope but they can be helpful within the grasp of their own power to help you.
  • Options
    pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    "Let's not go there"--I wouldn't have asked if someone hadn't "gone there" in the first place.
    Message received--loud and clear.
    Time for "one of those two other posters" to leave.
    It's been nice.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,202
    Didn't the oil sludging have to do with hot spots in the motors deteriorating the oil so that over a period of time the oil has broken down. If it's not changed at more frequent intervals, the deteriorated oil becomes the majority and sludge has deposited along with wear problems due to detriorated lubricity?

Feel free to disagree or correct me. Others have...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    I never heard anything about the actual causative factor(s) other than Toyota's press release said they were making a "small" change to the engine design and therefore future vehicles would not be subect to the oil sludging problem.

Why this particular question?
  • Options
    dla2dla2 Member Posts: 87
    someone a few posts back mentioned trading vehicles between someone who has the hesitation and someone who does not. I think that would be a great idea. It may be that different styles of driving or habits could be a bigger factor than any difference in the cars. If I still had mine I would volunteer.
  • Options
    too bad you don't have the vehicle to loan to someone else like shifty so he can drive the thing. i mean, if he drives it, who's going to argue with a moderator/host?

if only we could hook up one of these obc-ii interfaces to a laptop, capture some data, and post it for us all to have a look. not only might we learn something, the extent of the delay period for that vehicle would be captured, and we'd also hopefully get a handle on what the transmission, throttle position etc were doing in the process of coast down and re-application of the gas.

we could eliminate the guessing and theorizing.

surely shifty can find someone in his region to loan him a car for a few hours, right? now if only edmunds would cough up the $120 dollars for the interface and SW (or maybe a good friend with the equipment).

you'd think someone on the edmunds staff would want to start their own sleuthing effort on this don't you?

wait a minute, don't manufacturers advertise here? maybe that isn't possible for shifty to do anything more for us than take the drive and report subjectively on what was experienced.

still, it would be instructional for us to "see" what is going on. objective data could reveal quite a bit for everyone if someone were willing to invest the time and effort and a few dollars.

shifty - i assume you asked around and there are no problems in the edmunds vehicles being used for long-term testing of the make and models which have generally been discussed right?
  • Options
    cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    It's quite simple to capture the response of the throttle. All we need is a portable 2 to 4-channel oscilloscope. One channel is connected to pedal sensing for triggering, the other can be hooked to throttle sensing.
    So there is no guessing of how much delay of DBY if the data is captured.
    More advance setup is to hook up to hydraulic relays for the transmission.
    Well, one day I will do it ...
  • Options
    I know sludge is not related to hesitation, but it was brought up because it is related to higher emission/mpg standards leading to problems. I remember reading in one of the old news articles about sludge that the problem stemmed from the engines operating at higher temperatures, the higher temperatures being used to improve efficiency. I think the theory was that standard dino oil could not stand up to this higher temp, but synthetic could. So earlier oil changes were needed with dino because the oil was getting stressed earlier than the oil changes recommended by Toyota. wwest is right, I don't think Toyota ever revealed what the problem realy was, just blamed it on lack of oil changes then said they made some design mods that alleviated the problem. I would have to dig up the article, but I think it was just one person's theory that seemed to make sense to me.
  • Options
    operating temperatures of automotive engines have changed for the past several decades, at least. Manufacturers started pressurizing the water jacket in order to raise the boiling point so far back I can't really remember when. Early sixties, maybe.

So i'd be surprised if Toyota tried to use that as an excuse for the engine sludge.
  • Options
    I could probably dig the article up if I searched hard enough, but I doubt the moderator would want us to go into a sludge discussion. There is an old sludge forum here on Edmunds where the temperature issue may be mentioned.
  • Options
    Wow- This forum seems like it is becoming a 4 way conversation discussing extremely technical pontifications that seem to stray from the main subject. Nevertheless, for what it's worth, I did visit a well respected Lexus dealer and spent some time with the shop foreman. He was willing to reprogram my Camry using the codes for Lexus. However, when he hooked up the scanner, the scan showed that my 2005 Camry had the most current Toyota code available. The Lexus code would not work on my car. The foreman showed me the computer screen that displayed at least 10 software upgrades for the ES-300 and ES-330. He said they were never under the title of a "transmission upgrade", but usually hidden under an "check engine" light signal. The foreman seemed to insinuate that this was to hide the fact that there is a problem with the DBW-5 speed. I asked him if he thought it was a hardware problem that would prohibit Toyota from a mass recall. He said that he didn't think so, and that if you went to Japan and drove one of these cars, you wouldn't find a problem. He suspects the EPA perameters in the U.S. prohibit this car to perform as it should. I believe our hope lies with the recent Toyota press release that promises some kind of remedy in the near future. As far as I'm concerned, the sooner the better, because I'm at the end of my rope. Anyone on this forum (who lives in the L.A. area) who doubts the severity of this problem is welcome to contact me and arrange a test drive. I have absolutely no doubt you will be convinced that this condition is unacceptable.
  • Options
    bkinblk...I personaly don't doubt that your drivability is unacceptable. I wish I was in the LA area (for this reason ONLY! LOL) so I could help out by driving your car, and you mine. (2005 Highlander 3.3V6 DBW). I truly believe there are issues. Some may not find it a problem, perhaps the severity is different on different vehicles, perhaps build date specific? We just don't know.

I think, for the benefit of the posters here, a meeting of "those with", and "those without," would be a major eye opener....perhaps for both.

I definately notice the trans in my 2005 HL shifts differently than my 2003 Highlander (3.0V6, 4 spd automatic, NON DBW), but it is not objectionable to me. If I had to find fault, it would be the VERY slight feeling that has been described here as "slongshot effect" on deceleration. To me, it is not an issue, but as I have 3 recent model Toyotas in the immediate family, I remain interested. (the 3rd is a 2003 Camry 4cyl 4 spd automatic DBW)

Have any of you have tried to specifically contact the Toyota PR person named in the newspaper article? Just a thought.
  • Options
    bkinblk, Thank you for your reports. It doesn't sound like anyone is going to be able to run out and get the *new* software upgrade soon and share the results with us. From your experience with this Lexus dealer, if there is a new upgrade, it doesn't appear to have reached the dealerships yet.
  • Options
    I don't have any contact with the Edmunds testing staff but you could use the link called "Forums Help" on the left of this page and possibly ask editorial about this. I haven't seen any mention in the road tests in the major mags, no
  • Options
    shifty - bkinblk is in LA. I'm geography challenged - you don't live close enough to him to give his vehicle a spin do you? I think a forum moderator / host will have more credibility among readers reporting his/her experience than just any other forum visitor/poster.

my thought though - you being in the biz, i figured maybe you call in a favor and could get a hold of a loaner reader to capture some data off a vehicle like his.

seems bkinblk might be receptive to having someone capture some info.

imagine how powerful some quantitative data which we could look at would be in helping everyone understand this issue.
  • Options
    Anytime
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Check you're Mapquest, folks. Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area are a full day's drive apart.

Also - Have a heart. Shifty's already got all the credibility he needs. He also appears to make his living in the car biz - how much longer could that go on if he started writing The Bad News About Toyota. He's a journalist, and I don't mean that in the Geraldo Rivera sort of way.

I propose he remain an the excellent impartial observer and moderator that he is, and not be put into a position to decide which of the two polarized groups here that he'd would side with.
  • Options
    legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    Transmission or Acceleration Hesitation in 2005 RX 330

It's happened to me three times already ... I am driving at slow speed, in an intersection, or manuevering in city traffic and when I step on the gas -- nothing -- the car pauses with NO acceleration for a moment and then WHAM, the torque converter or whatever it is in the powertrain turns and then slams power to the drive shafts and the car lurches forward.

I have recently learned that over the last few years Toyota and Lexus had a well documented problem that sounds remarkably similar to what I am experiencing. Needless to say this is disconcerting, and dangerous! I just bought the car less than 10 days ago. No notice was given to me by the dealer that such a problem was preexisting in this car line.

Anybody else having/had similar problems and if so what's been done about it? Has it been fixed? Apparently TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) addressing this problem were issued in 2003 and 2004 model years. Was the problem ever corrected? Any TSBs in 2005 Lexus cars?

Thanks in advance for your input.
  • Options
    Regarding a fix/TSB: The most recent article in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette states that a new software upgrade has been announced by Toyota and Lexus for all '02 - '05's with the V-6 5-speed auto transmissions, but we have had trouble verifying this. jbollt found an older TSB that had been revised for the ES330. Dealerships don't seem to be aware of it yet (see bkinblk's posts).

Have you reported this problem to your dealership? If so, what did they say? You may want show them a copy of the Post Gazette article and see if they know anything about it.
  • Options
    tinkerbell2tinkerbell2 Member Posts: 5
    I've had my 05 RX330 for six months now and everythying seems fine. There is no hesitation that I've noticed. I've driven a few others and they don't hesitate either.
    Why does it affect just a few and most don't seem to have it?
  • Options
    I called Mr. Wade Hoyt's office in NYC yesterday and talked at length with his very nice assistant. She asked me how I got the phone number and then asked the nature of my call. When I told her it had to do with the V6- 5-speed automatic issue, she put me on hold, then gave me his e-mail address. I send a rather lengthy E-mail to Mr. Hoyt. I believe it voiced my concerns in a very concise, logical and respectful manner. This morning, I got a response from Mr. Hoyt that stated that since he was PR for Toyota in the NE, he was in no position to assist me. He said my best bet was to check with my local dealer for a recent TSB (ugh) and if that was not effective, then to call Customer Service (who told me there is no recent TSB, Ugh). Oh, what a feeling! I E-mailed him back and let him know that I did both things he suggested, to no avail. I will let this forum know what his next response is.
  • Options
    I might be in LA in August but that's the only time I plan to be there. I'll let you know!

Nah, hosts have no access to loaner cars but I have dealer friends so maybe I can score something.

Of course, the car I drive is only a "database of one", so I'd rather drive a specific "problem car".

I wouldn't diss the car, just report what I felt when I drove it, without judgment.
  • Options
    2005 Highlander V6 3.3L 5 spd DBW. Just on a whim, I decided to try something. Was cruising along at 40mph and approaching a red light, very light traffic, level road. I decided to put the sifter in N, and slowly coast down, then brake to a gentle stop. The idle speed immediately went to just under 1000rpm, (perhaps 950?) and stayed there as I slowed. When I reached 25mph, the tach indicated an increase in engine speed of about 200 rpm, to about 1150. Then back down to 950rpm as I slowed to a stop. This was repeatable, and done without the A/C on, so it wasn't compressor related.

I have no idea what this means, but perhaps some of you more technically savy folks can comment on this, and any relation to the "funny"shift feeling some are reporting.
  • Options
    Driveability......I think is the term..

At "low" idle and low road speed the power stearing pump doesn't move enough fluid to provide full assist, especially if your intent was to slow for a sharp/hard turn. Bringing the idle rate up after you enter the turn would result in an initially hard stearing wheel turn pressure.

Obviously no harm in the system anticipating what your intent is.

Sometime while parked simply turn the stearing wheel and see if the idle rate doesn't also jump then.
  • Options
    if you are in neutral and repeatedly using the brake, it's possible that the vacuum booster could draw off some RPMs...since you are coasting you are not creating engine vacuum and the vacuum reservoir might be emptied somewhat (vacuum reservoirs are meant to provide brake booster vacuum if your engine stalls while you are moving).
  • Options
    This had more of a feeling that it was tied to a specific speed point, as I could repeat it at will, braking or coasting...no turning involved either... I dunno...Maybe others can try it and see what they sense...(Caution..do not try this at home....)
  • Options
    "speed sensitive" power stearing. As your roadspeed slows it takes more and more effort to turn the front wheels/tires. At some point the engine RPM must be raised in order to meet the demands of the flow volume of the power stearing pump.

Same, thing, slightly different effect, when the A/C compressor kicks in at idle. In that case the idle speed doesn't change much, just more fuel and air to provide the additional HP/torque.
  • Options
    tinkerbell2tinkerbell2 Member Posts: 5
    I asked a simple question and it was ignored. It got blown away.All you technoheads want to do is make like Einsteins. Is this hesitation a problem or not?
    Why don't I have it, and all my friends don't have it, but you make out like it's more important than Iraq. What's going on gentlemen, or is this another one of those Wendys finger-in-the-chili episodes?
  • Options
    Wow. I can see from your profile that you joined Edmunds today and this is just your second posting. What an intro! Chill. Try reading up on the forum. There are 859 posts here maybe you can find some answers, but I can tell you that right now we are all trying to figure this thing out.
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Hey, tinkerbell2 (and all tinkerbells out there) -

You really need the first 856 posts on this thread, and few dozen more on Toyota Highlander Problem and Solutions, to know if that is a "simple question". It isn't. Read and learn.
  • Options
    At ease, Tink, please.

We challenge ideas, we don't name-call. I know you are enthusiastic, but this topic is a touch sensitive for some people stuck with cars they are not happy with.

You've gotten a reasonable response. Read up on the forum, catch up to us, and if you still have a question, by all means ask it.

If you need some help with rules and regs, please e-mail me. In the meantime, join the party but please exhibit courtesy.

Shiftright the Host
  • Options
    Maybe not much.

Someone on another forum asked what Toyota did to cause the hesitation problem.

Its more actually what they DIDN"T DO!

My 2001 AWD RX300's transaxle always upshifts in certain circumstances. First, if I'm cruising along at highway speeds and fully release the gas pedal. Second, just before coming to a full stop. The latter event is often referred to as the feeling of being bumped from behind just short of coming to a full stop, and the first as the "slingshot effect".

Remember that the lower RPM the engine runs the lower will be the frictional and pumping losses, resulting in lower emissions from burned fuel and last but not least better overall MPG.

JQP: So far, so good. So what's the problem?

What if I suddenly change my mind about coming to a full stop (the point at which my RX would normally downshift into 1st) and decide to ZOOM forward? Or in the highway coastdown mode I simply reapply gas pedal pressure?

JQP: What could be wrong with that?

Well, nothing, unless I happen to instigate the change at about the same time, instant, the transaxle begins the initial upshift sequence.

JQP: So, why can't the upshift be cancelled or over-ridden so the transaxle can quickly respond to my new "command".

That's actually what my 2001 AWD RX300 seems to do. No hesitation, it just downshifts and goes ZOOM!

JQP: There has to be more to the story, so what's wrong with the Sienna?

Trust me, we'll get to that.

In the meantime here's a bit more of my RX300 story.

The transaxles in the RX300 series seem to be failing somewhat prematurely, some just inside the warranty period and some beyond.

My own RX300 has the trailer towing package, extra transaxle fluid cooler in front of the passenger side front wheelwell. I removed the trailer hitch the week I purchased the vehicle, new, directly from Bellevue Lexus. The vehicle has been out on the road during fairly severe winter weather, but has never carried more than 4 passengers. Basically has never seen anything close to what would be considered ROUGH service.

And my owners manual has no requirement for transaxle fluid flush, drain, or replenishment for the life of the vehicle. I spoke to the service manager at Lexus of Bellevue just last week who informed me that is still the factory's position. He said they recommend inspections of fluid condition at each 30,000 mile interval but no changeout unless the inspection indicates a need.

At 38,000 miles, mid-2004, my inspection of the ATF in my RX300 definitely indicated a need. So I drained and replenished the ATF.

At 45,000 miles, ~3 weeks ago, the ATF again looked dirty and smelled burned. Fiirst I just repeated the procedure of last year, 4 qts out, 4 qts in. Within a week my ATF looked as dirty as before. This time, via some advice from a post herein, I drained the diff'l and dropped and cleaned the sump pan. Used 5 qts this time for refill. So far so good, a week later and the new fluid is still looking clear.

JQP: So what, FACTUALLY, does the above tell us?

Something within the transaxle is degrading too rapidly, moreso that projected by the factory, and that is resulting in contamination of the ATF to such a high level that it cannot perform its core function as a simple hydraulic fluid.

JQP: What, pray tell?

I really don't know, don't have any idea. I initially guessed that the heat from the fluid within the VC, Viscous Clutch, in the nearby PTO, Power Take Off, was overheating the ATF.

But now I realize that doesn't account for the high level of contamination I'm seeing in the ATF. Additionally I have just recently learned that the PTO and VC run in 80 Wt gear oil, not in the ATF.

JQP: And this has what to do with the Sienna??

I only have a supposition, surmise.

In my RX300 when the previously commanded upshift is cancelled, or over-ridden with a downshift, a servere downshift at that, the transaxle somehow ends locked briefy in two gear ratios simultaneously, say for only a few tens of milliseconds. But over time, 40,000 miles, the additional wear of the clutch frictional surfaces unduly contaminates the ATF. So, the contamination of the ATF could accelerate the failure of these transaxles, and even if the ATF is changed out often enough to not be a factor in the early failures the additional clutch wear might be.

JQP: And how does the Sienna play into this??

The Toyota and Lexus engineers eventually came to realize the core causative factors of the RX300 series permature transaxle failures and then came up with the simpliest, less expensive, and overall most viable solution absent going to the EPA and CARB hat in hand.

Convert the vehicles to DBW so that the engine and transaxle ECU could PREVENT the engine from responding to the driver's "command" if it interfered with the shift sequencing of the transmission
  • Options
    Thanks for that explanation. A little hard to follow (what is JQP?), but even a non-"technohead" like me can get the gist.

What, in your opinion, is the reason some claim to feel no hesitation (tinkerbell2) and others find it severe enough to trade in and take a loss on their vehicle (dla2)? You have presented a scenario that would explain why you would not feel the hesitation every time you slowed then suddenly accelerated, but not the "why some and not all?" questions.
  • Options
    skiski Member Posts: 9
    All,

Have sent in arbitration paperwork for hesitation on my 05 Camry V6 LE.

BTW, I’ve been following these forums since buying the car and am aware of the history and all issues involved.

My specific complaint… lag in response to accelerator input, followed by abrupt acceleration, most noticeable under 10mph. I also notice less definable erratic shifting abnormalities at all speeds that just make driving the car un-enjoyable.

Noticed it shortly after buying the car in late Sep 04, but believed I would get used to it, or the car would “learn” my driving habits.

After 1700 miles I was getting frustrated and took it in. Told that’s normal, give it a few more months to learn you driving habits. Knew I was being fed a line.

Gave it a while longer, complained again at about 3500 miles, same official answer, but tech confided privately that he’d had many complaints, and believed Toyota was working on a fix.

Then I opened up a complaint with Toyota, was scheduled to drive the car with the local service manager. Same answer - that’s normal.

Called Toyota back, said I wasn’t happy with answer, next step was to schedule a drive with a regional rep. Before the drive was scheduled, was called back by local service manager, said that field engineer instructed him to change the transmission. No, I didn’t believe it either, and didn’t believe that it would fix the problem… but they’re the experts.

Invoice showed both a transmission change and reprogram of the ECU. That was in early March and over 5000 miles. Was able to replicate hesitation before leaving the premises.

Gave it a week to be fair, called local service manager back - said he’d confer with field engineer. Called back and said they had a brand new program that would fix it. So in late March and about 6000 miles, they reprogrammed ECU. Was able to replicate hesitation before leaving the premises.

Gave it a week to be fair, called local service manager back - said that’s just the way the Camry drives, sorry, can’t do anything else.

Called Toyota, was offered to start arbitration process, have sent in paperwork.

Now looking for advice on how to win this thing and not lose several thousand dollars by trading it in.

Thanks in advance,

Ski
  • Options
    Ski- I will be watching your process closely. I have a 2005 V6 XLE that has 1500 miles. I use it for my sales job in L.A., and I am also at the end of my rope. No transmission should do what this one does no matter what Toyota or anyone else says. It's all just a giant stonewall. Please keep us posted.
This discussion has been closed.