Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• It's a ugly Hummer for broke people.

Kind of anti-climactic, with Hummer sales on the down slope.

DrFill
  • andyman73andyman73 Posts: 368
    Just for clarification, are you refering to the H2, or the H1, which has been around for over 20 years, in military use? I saw my first one in Dec 85, in Augsburg, Germany. All the MILSPEC HMMVs are diesel powered. And, in their basic body styles look deceivingly smaller than the H2, mainly because of the high box style of H2.

The H2 is another civilianized idea of Military first technology.....cell phones, microwave ovens...and other stuff.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,726
    still failing to see the Hummer connection, sorry. Nissan completely changed the Pathfinder around from the last gen to compete head to head with the 4Runner, so Toyota is returning the favor by bringing out the FJ to go head to head with the XTerra, which so far has had little direct competition (Liberty being about the closest thing to a vehicle with the same mission and specs, but not frame-based in the Jeep's case of course).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• You are correct sir... There is really nothing like the fj but the closest would be half xtera half wrangler i suppose. Boy the new Nissan line up is awesome. I love the 05 xterra and pathfinder but am waiting to see the FJ. If the FJ is like the concept one I saw 2 years ago i will be a buyer if the price is right. Add a diesel and i would put my money down ASAP. Going head to head with Xterra? Maybe, but the xterra is not that different as any other suv or 4wd car when you think of it. If the new FJ is like the concept on it will be a revolutionary 4x4 imo.
    (1) body on frame

(2) real 4WD with low range, and

(3) has short overhangs for excellent approach and departure angles, as well as a good breakover, for more offroad ability.

These are all excellent credentials, and the characteristics that set the XTerra apart from everything else in the market, to my mind.

Now, of course, for '05 the XTerra is also

(1) equipped with a single new engine with a total excess of power so that you can race it, apparently, which has

(2) caused it to have fairly shabby fuel economy (not that big a deal in a truck) and

(3) caused the base price to jump to almost $25K (a much bigger problem in an entry-level truck)

The FJ has the potential to be just as good in every qualitative respect, but to go a little easier on the gas, and most importantly to be at least $3K less in price. And to look better, as far as I am concerned - I mean, XTerra, Frontier, Pathfinder, and Armada all have identical front ends now, which is kinda boring.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• (3) caused the base price to jump to almost $25K?

How do you know this? Has 05 pricing come out? The Pathfinder starts at $24K! I like the new pathfinder and the xterra, but I dont see how nissan would make both at the same price.
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    You're right that we should hope for better mpg than the Xterra (not to single it out.)

I would hope that the combined mpg would be above 20 mpg, even though the supercharger isn't going to help. And if it uses 91-octane that's going to make people consider the operating cost.

If Toyota is targeting the younger-buyer, hopefully they'll provide a vehicle to get you to your destination reasonably (payments+gas), and still have money for the activity.

I'm hoping that what's introduced based on its size, is lighter, and low-tech, compared to the other SUV's out there which just seem to cram more and more content in them. I hope it's more Jeep Wrangler than VW Tourareg.
  • A diesel is the way to go. Why almost EVERY suv is not offered in a diesel is rediculous. The same set up xterra with a diesel would get you almost 30 mpg on the hwy... Personally i would be disgusted if it is anything like a wrangler OR a tourareg. Good price, room for 4 or 5, and the ability for 2 6 foot plus people to sleep in the back is all i ask for.
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    I agree. The Jeep Liberty diesel seems like a nice vehicle. Give me the torque, and I can probably do without the hp in a small SUV.

But what are the chances of a diesel? I thought there's only the 1 engine; the super-3.4L?

I was simply talking content level and weight. I'd rather see the content and weight more like the Wrangler, then the Tourareg. I'm not referring to the fit/finish/ride/dynamics, etc.

Hopefully the FX will come with pw/pm/pl/ac but skip all the NAV/leather/air suspension/headlight washer/memory packages and all that stuff.

If I had to summarize what I hope is introduced it would be - "a comfortable, economical dune buggy".
    the $25K remark is based on R&T and C&D articles on the '05 XTerra this month - one of them states that this is the projected starting price.

As for the FJ's engines, the S/C 3.4 is what they had for a powerful truck engine back when the concept first came out. Now the NA 4L in the Tacoma surpasses it for power, and is being produced in volume, whereas they have stopped building the 3.4s. To me, it seems like that makes it more likely they will use the Tacoma's V-6 for the FJ.

But like others here have said, I hope they keep this truck as basic and as light as it can be, given that it is a fairly small BOF truck. I am sure they could get under 4000 pounds. And if they can do that, I am kinda hoping they will make the Tacoma 4-cyl the FJ's base engine as well. I imagine a 4-cyl 4WD FJ starting at around $20K, with the equipment basics (A/C, CD, maybe PL and PW?) for that price. Of course, that might be a bit hopeful in the context of the existing pricing of the RAV4!

Hey, it's only one week until the Chicago show! Many of these questions will be answered in just a few days.

• sortersorter Posts: 146
    come to think of it, wouldn't this be a perfect SUV for Scion instead of Toyota?
  • Good answer. It's so weird and unnecessary for 'Yota, but perfect for the punk kid to take on.

DrFill
  • OMG i was just about to say that. Toyota has been saying that Scion is a brand for young people, and they drag out the FJ just for Toyota?? It would be a nice complement to Scion, and it would probably sell better, if only because it isn't in the same showroom with a Camry and Corolla.

Although I do personally kind of like the FJ, they could just turn it into fJ (like xA, xB, and tC) and sell it as a Scion.... it might grind shoulders with the 'Runner if it was a 'Yota. Yes, I know the Runner isn't nearly the Utility it used to be, but it's still a better than any Explorer, Grand Cherokee, or Pathfinder. I like Scion, and badging it as a Scion would probably make it cheaper, as well. Because if you consider....

Scion tC

160 hp I-4

Tons of extra stuff (love the panoramic roof)

versatility without looking like a Geo Metro

Price: 16,500

Toyota Corolla

130 hp I-4

Extra stuff on LE only, really.... or XRS

Have to shell out 17 grand for rather silly looking XRS with not-so-torquey engine.

No panoramic roof or knee airbags

Price (LE, comparably equipped): Over 17 grand.

And they are about the same size on the inside....

and arguing that the Corolla is aimed at a different market is a moot point because Toyota keeps the price higher for the older folk (look at the Celica compared to the tC) The Scion is definitely a better value. Also, it looks classy. Trust me, a Scion fJ would sell for less than a Toyota FJ just because Scion isn't as established.

Oh, and I love the FJ because it's funky! It has little overhang and a spunky kind of style. Atypical for Toyota.
  • Where this idea that the 4Runner has lost something, or is not as good as past 4Runners. Can someone explain this to me? Please!!

DrFill
  • Itt's all on a basis of comperison. The first 4 Runners were clunky trucks with a top over the end. Some people think that it becoming a capable SUV that can seat 7 people and have a DVD player is a really bad thing. I would take a new one over an old one any day.
  • my wish is that the FJ comes in an anti-whimp trim level with the Hilux's 4-cyl diesel, no power anything (except steering and brakes, huh?), hose-off floor and seats, a decent off road pkg (ltd slip diff, skid plates, etc), abs, a/c, and a roof rack. for $23,500.

i say this cause i love the old FJ40's and ache for something as low-key and capable for reasonable $.

:-)
    "Some people think that it becoming a capable SUV that can seat 7 people and have a DVD player is a really bad thing"

What 4Runner became for '03 was a really capable PEOPLE-MOVER. All of 4Runner's trucky talents of the 20 years preceding it got diluted if not wiped out for this primary mission.

scooter: absolutely, in fact I wish that the FJ came with a basic offroad-ready package without any of the other stuff except A/C. Wind-down windows and pull-up locks would be fine, but it should have locking rear diff, skid plates, and TRD suspension with all-terrain tires, for about $20K in the 4-cyl 4WD, $22K in the V-6. 6-speed manual. They could have a "street package" with ABS, extra airbags, tinted windows, power accessories, cruise, all that junk. In fact, just call that model the "fJ street". And make automatic available for an extra $1K, 5-speed. I think Toyota could handle that.

What others have said here makes good sense - why not make it Scion's first truck? I mean, some have called the xB an "SUV", but is it really? Not on your life. It is a big four-seat wagon. Everything about the guts is Toyota Echo.

• oops- i'd want side airbags too. i guess i'd want a combo of off-road ability, simplicity, and safety .

regardless i suspect toyota will straddle the off road stuff and the honda element girly gen-y stuff.

ps- you're right: a locking diff, not a ltd slip diff.

pps- if toyota listened to nippon and i they'd obviously have a real cult vehicle in the making.
  • 7art7art Posts: 11
    I was within 24 hours of dropping a check on a 4Runner - the dealer just had to locate one with my options package and color ... I called him last night and put it on hold once I saw the FJ.

That thing is butt ugly. I love it! As long as it has even moderate towing capacity, I'm sold. The 4Runner was going to replace my 15 year old Wrangler, which I love, but I'd like something that is not a rag top (indeed the Jeep top is so difficult to put up and down, it almost doesn't qualify as a convertible).

Instead of taking a $ 5,000 depreciation in the first year on the Runner, I'll put $ 4,000 in the bank, and $ 1,000 into keeping the Jeep running 'till the FJ gets to the showroom floor in enough quantities that I don't have to pay MSRP (or more) to get one.

This is the first SUV I've seen which I am excited about. I am a firm believer that a car is a machine, not a movable living room.

I wonder if it will come with a manual tranny?

Art
  • I watched the unveiling. Toyota said "yes" - a manual transmission will be offered.

Specs:

-245 hp 4.0 liter DOHC 24 VVT-I engine

- VSC

- locking differnential

- modiifed 4-runner chassis; 11 inches shorter and 4" narrower than 4-runner

- industrial interior with black rubber-like floor

About a year away from launch. Coming as a 2007 model.
  • I'm a little disappointed they got rid of the integrated winch. That was a big selling point for me, and a reason to purchase it instead of a wrangler. Even though you must bolt on the winch on the wrangler, it is proven and the equipment is readily avalable to the consumer through many sources.

I hope that Toyota offers an integrated winch as eith a package or accessory.
  • You can download a PDF file from the Toyota web site with the prelim specs. Very promising.

At the unveiling, Toyota offered to price yet - but promised it would be "surprising". My guess is $25 for a base model.
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Posts: 158
    I missed the live feed and waiting on the replay. Any interior photos yet? How about pricing?
  • The picture on the PDF file shows a winch mount on the front. I would be surpised if they don't offer it as an option.
  • They flashed a couple if interior photos at the unveiling. Industrial feel - not for everyone (which Toyota emphasized.) No carpeting. I like it!
  • Good call on waiting! This is the ONLY vehicle i have been excited about in decades and may be my first new car. I will go to the auto show and check it out. Should take me all of 10min for 99% of the cars are BORING. Now i just hope they keep that cool interior in the concept. Half my decision in buy a car is the interior feel and function. Also i hope they dont go with the passe column shifter and waste that area for storage room.
  • Correction: 11 inches shorter and 4" narrower than 4-runner

What he said was length is 11" shorter but wheelbase only 4" shorter. It is probably the same or wider than the 4 runner.
  • They flashed an interior photo but he said it was not finalized yet. Nothing like the concept unfortunatly.... Pricing: "priced for first time entry suv buyers" In other words it will be expensive unless you are a ceo. It also looked like they are changing the tail gate to a swing out with a tire on it. That stinks too. Hey Toyota, An outdoors person NEEDS a tailgate that folds DOWN so you can sit on it or transport long stuff! IE honda element.
  • stragerstrager Posts: 308
    Because the FJ looks so "different", I think it's going to be a sensation when it arrives next year. Hummer H3 will probably be toast, I'm sure the FJ will give better gas mileage and will be $10K less expensive.

But then I've heard other people say that the FJ is another Element and sales will start tanking after a year or two. Does anyone here feel that it has the same appeal as the Element?
  • chidorochidoro Posts: 125
    To me it seems more of a Element/Wrangler hybrid. Rugged but w/ utility.