Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• Yes it should be 16/19 mpg, same as the Tacoma/4Runner/Prado it's based on.

Yes, of course it comes without a roof rack. That's an option and that's why 90% of all the pictures don't have a roof rack.
    Run flat tires (any brand) are causing quite a few problems and are being recalled in huge numbers. Might wanna rethink that one.

Re the engine; no, I believe the fwd engine families (F-ZE series?)and the rwd engine families (UZ-FE series?) are distinctly separate.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The 4.0L V6 used in the Runner, FJ, and Taco is FROM THE SAME ENGINE family as the smaller 3.5L in the Avalon, Camry, RAV etc. As is the 3.0L in the GS and the 2.5L. Toyota introduced 4 displacements of the same base architecture V6. This is the first time that Toyota has used the same engine family for Rear and Front (along with Four and All) wheel drive powertrains.

~alpha
  • Same engine Family yes.

The V6's on the lexus have different tunning and a different head design w/ direct injection..the toyota versions only have direct ignition I think.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,726
    Ummm, Toyota is not alone in using IFS, even Jeep does it in the Grand Cherokee now and has for a while right?

The rear is still a live axle in the 4Runner and the upcoming FJ.

The Wrangler is a unique Jeep model, and there is little out there that matches it offroad in stock form. But it is also very unpleasant to use for any other duty besides offroading, which gives it a limited appeal. Most manufacturers try to straddle the line a little more between everyday and offroad use.

But I think if you price out a Wrangler Rubicon, and FJ and XTerra Offroads, they will come up similar in price and be roughly equal in ability in the mud or off the road. The thing is, the Nissan and Toyota will be much easier to use for everything else. And much faster up the freeway ramp and passing on the two-lane on the way to your favorite OHV spot.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    My friend had a Wrangler with the V6, manual, and so on. The took it out side by side against his 2005 4-Runner with the Sport/X-Reas suspension.

Side by side - the Wrangler couldn't keep up. The combination of more power, traction control, ABS, hill assist, and so on - the Wrangler was barely holding its own while the 4-Runner was going 30-40% faster up the same grades/roads. Seen it myself. Not even a close contest no matter if it was himself or his wife with a fraction of the off-roading experience.

The new genration 4-Runner is roughly equal to a Range Rover in off-road capability, actually - just a shocking amount of improvement. If the FJ is supposedly *better*(!?!), then Chrysler needs to do some serious re-designing.

It's exactly like my 67 Mercedes I have. Sweet car, but time is a vicious and unforgiving mistress. It is a great car, but a modern Civic could run circles around it and then some.(yeah I know, but it's a sweet car that nobody else has :) ) The Wrangler is fighting a loosing battle against modern designs and technologies. When the FJ comes out, they will pit it against a Wrangler Rubicon I bet. And other than rocks and crawling over stumps and the like, the Wrangler's incredibly old design isn;t liekly to look so great anymore.
  • donzi81donzi81 Posts: 59
    I think Toyota is going to be surprised by the demographics of buyers. It will not be young folks willing to fork over 3 bucks a gallon for gas. I say more middle age folks will like this truck. Nice reports I've read so far. I believe Toyota has a winner here.
  • I am 47 and have my name in the hat for a FJ. I have owned FJ40's years ago and can't wait to get the new one.
  • donzi81donzi81 Posts: 59
    You're probably the exact audience that will be thrilled to own one of these gems. Looks like the wrangler is going to have some serious competition. Let the games begin!!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Like almost all new vehicles, I'm sure the FJ will be hard to get initially.
    However, after the initial rush of excited buyers, I think others will be put off by 16MPG rating on premium fuel. Probably even lower MPG if you use regular.
    Dealers will want to add markups due to very limited production of the FJ, but adding a big markup that pushes the price into the next level vehicle category just makes the competition (Xterra) look more attractive.
    "2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4X4."

The FJ isn't just 4x4s. There are both 2 wheel and 4 weel drive models.
    I see it in photos of the preproduction cars, but not listed in the specifications.
    Is AUX supposed to be included in the base standard radio, or is it only included with the option packages?
  • If you go to toyota.com and click on FJ, you'll get an option of "build your FJ." No prices yet, but you can choose the drivetrain, option packages, and individual options, many of them with descriptions. Looks good so far
  • martyzmartyz Posts: 21
    "My friend had a Wrangler with the V6, manual, and so on. The took it out side by side against his 2005 4-Runner with the Sport/X-Reas suspension."

Wrong. There is no such thing as a "Wrangler with a V6". All Wranglers through model year 2006 still use the old Rambler-based I-6 engine.

"The Wrangler is fighting a loosing battle against modern designs and technologies"

First off, the 2007 Jeep Wrangler is a complete redesign - including options like 4-doors and an available diesel engine. I agree that the FJ will be a strong competitor, but don't count Jeep out yet. Jeep's main weakness is in the areas of reliability and the willingness of the manufacturer to stand behind their warranty - definitely not Daimler-Chrysler's strong point. That's where Toyota will do better.

More importantly, the fact that the Wrangler avoids "modern designs and technologies" helps it keep its place as a great off-road vehicle. Hopefully, the FJ will borrow some of that philosophy.
    Sorry. Inline 6. Big deal. It still got its butt whomped by a 4-Runner other than crawling over rocks and things that didn't qualify as normal off-roading. In other words, oversized things you purposely went over instead of avoiding, just to well, go over them, like rock-crawlers do.

The 2007 *better* be a vast improvement. Ooo - nobody cares about a diesel engine, btw. Well, it should be interesting. I suspect a repeat of 30 years ago. The old FJs were noticeably superior back then as well, if quite a bit more expensive.

Now, if Jeep put out a Wrangler for $15K, then it'd be a whole other game. No options other than AC - no anything. Basdic vehicle with the understanding that you need to spend $5K on it customizing it. As it is, you spend $18K plus a hardtop, and so on - and it's not even the i-6 model yet.
  • BTW, you are wrong. There are many people who care about a diesel. Do you know what one is?
  • saw one on the road today...not as good looking as i'd remembered from the autoshow. i'm a huge FJ fan and will always desire a fj55 but i'm just not sure the new FJ will quench it for me.

maybe after i drive one i'll be firther persuaded...
  • scrumscrum Posts: 12
    Yes. Aux is available even on the base radio.
    Eh? They're already available to the public?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    it's angles are much worse than a Wrangler. I've got a 2003 4Runner and it is a nice truck. But the long wheelbase, long overhangs, and relatively low ground clearance are such that you do not want to take it up Moab.

While I certainly would not want to commute in a Wrangler, it does have its strengths.
  • First off, the 4Runner competes with the Grand Cherokee more so than the Wrangler--that's why Toyota is building the FJ, to compete with the Wrangler Unlimited, XTerra, and to a lesser extent, Hummer H3.

I like the FJ, but I don't think I'll be in the market for an FJ anytime soon, as I have a 2002 4Runner with 4WD, TRAC, VSC, etc., and it has nearly the same wheelbase as the FJ, and I can add a Toyota rear locker if I want to take it rock crawling. The only drawbacks are the smaller V6, one less gear in the tranny, and slightly worse aproach and departure angles. I'm not sure the FJ is THAT much of an improvement over what i have for the money I'd spend.
    The 4-Runner is a nice truck. Pretty hard to beat other than rock-crawling and basically doing stuff to see what you can get away with(as opposed to normal driving on washed-out roads and in the desert and so on). That the FJ adds a bit more to this equation is a good thing. The new 4-Runner is great, but always felt a bit removed from its 4*4 roots.

My dream 4*4, though, is a Volvo 303. 16 inches of clearance and better off-road ability than a HumVee. Maybe a Unimog in second place. :) (though 8mpg kinda sucks - lol)
  • "A boulder-friendly approach angle of 44.3 degrees and breakover angle of 25.4 degrees, along with a 40.4 degree departure angle, once again make the 2007 Jeep Wrangler the most formidable off-roader."

44 degrees approach, and 40 departure!!! Whoa

No good to you, if it breaks in the middle of the mountain, though :)
  • fj07fj07 Posts: 89
    I finally got my chance to sit in it at the show and I thought that the FJ was out of the picture and my purchase was going to go to the Xterra. Well that all changed back to a toss up.
    The FJ is as tough to get into as my buddies Tundra Extra Cab with the suicide mini door. But once you are in it your knees are not up to your chest and pressed against the front seat. I was relatively comfortable with about 2" between my knees and the front seat set for me. By the way I am 5'-11". So for offroading with three buddies it would be cool but for a 6.5 hr drive up to Mammoth for snowboarding it would kinda suck. So I guess if I sell my truck before March then I will get the X and if I am in the market in March it will depend on if there is a dealer mark-up on the FJ.
  • Did you have a chance to see how much forward the front seats tumble? The FJ's front passenger seat doesn't tumble completely flat, like in Xterra, does it?
  • fj07fj07 Posts: 89
    I did not check that but I think that has already been determined that it does not fold forward flat.
    Maybe not now, but when it comes time to replace the old Runner (which will wear out someday, as slow as that will happen in a Runner), this will be your replacement if you want the new truck with the most similar mission to your old truck. Not the '03+ 4Runner.

I do agree that the FJ doesn't really compel one to trade in one's old 4Runner, unless it is the pre-'96. Perhaps for the extra power, but in some ways the old model is actually nicer. Less stand-out stylish on the outside, but nicer inside than the very bare interior of the rubber-floored, plastic-dashed FJ. However, the FJ has got some cojones under the hood that put the 3.4L 4Runner in the weeds. :-)

Not to mention the available Torsen and a 6-speed transmission.

• martyzmartyz Posts: 21
    "Ooo - nobody cares about a diesel engine, btw"

Diesel engines offer the advantage of high torque at low rpm, which is very useful in real off-road situations. I'd love to see a diesel option in the FJ, but Toyota hasn't done much with diesels lately, so that probably won't happen.
  • However, the FJ has got some cojones under the hood that put the 3.4L 4Runner in the weeds.

Not to mention the available Torsen and a 6-speed transmission.

I agree. There are some definite improvements with the FJ over my '02 Runner: 240hp V6 (nice trq too!), 6 spd tranny, available locking rear diff, slighly better angles, 32" BFG ATs, FJ heritage... enough so I will be curious and maybe take a test drive. I do have 4 doors, more cargo room, 18/23 gas mileage, the ability to sleep in the back, and best of all, it's nearly paid off. :P