Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    damnedyankeedamnedyankee Member Posts: 10
    Auto Advantage of Hendersonville TN is advertising a FJ with 708 miles for $37,877. i called and told the guy I couldn't believe my eyes. He thought i was a buyer and told me it sold last night. questionable business practices?

another dealer, Peruzzi Toyota of Hatfield, PA, is advertising 2 ($38,000 and $39,000).

Private seller offering the truck at $39,900.

Alpha Leasing on the other hand is offering 2 ($23,500 and $25,000).

if demand is such that they are going for $10k over invoice, i got to get into the dealership business.

someone ate toyota corporate ought to put an end to this crap.
  • Options
    fjaddictfjaddict Member Posts: 2
    Toyota of Dallas was charging $5,000 over sticker for a 4x4 6-speed manual; 6 miles up the road Toyota of Plano was charging sticker for the same vehicle! I wrote a letter to Toyota corporate regarding some of their dealers' questionable practices in the area. No word yet from the bigwigs at Toyota. It will be interesting to see if they reply at all.
  • Options
    voodoofxvoodoofx Member Posts: 81
    M.S.R.P stands for Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price. Now if your ready to get some of this easy dealer money take about $10 million out of your piggy bank, buy 5 acres plus of prime commercial real estate, borrow a few more million for construction.........
  • Options
    you know I just might be able to undercut some of these dealers by working for less than their 25% margin over invoice. I think there are plenty of high class dealers out there, they make less than those who offer less respect for the consumer base on each sale but reputation and customer experience more than make up for foregone margin on a volume basis.

bottom line is production of 46,000 vehicles in 2007 is only bound by demand for the 4.0 liter powerplant which is shared throughout the toyota family. I believe toyota corp likes to make money so i expect they will stick to their demographic and pump out more product as long as the powerplants are available to meet 2007 demand based in analysis of inventory turn for all 2007 models based on the 4.0 liter. anyhow, 46,000 units is roughly 25 FJs per dealer in 2007. so i figure dealers who care less for their customer base are looking for an easy 1.75+ million over invoice from their 25 2007 FJs.

i think there's more money to to be made by working lean. I feed my supply chain (toyota corp) increased demand resulting from my competitive advantage. I build goodwill with; i. my supplier - which helps improve in the quality (color and option availability) and timeliness of my inventory, and ii. my customer base - via word of mouth reputation which can do one of 2 things; 1) hurt me or 2) stimulate cash sales as well as my financing business. (Like most financing operations, the stronger the originations the more attractive your cost structure becomes)

MSRP is suggested for a reason.
  • Options
    abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    Buyers be AWARE! :lemon: There are bottom feeders everywhere: there are always sellers who are looking for uninformed buyers. Furthermore, many dealerships train their sale force to convert new purchase buyers into an emotional/impulse purchasers. That is what "some" dealers hope to do by raising prices thousands above MSRP. Do not go for that sucker bid. Luckily, there are still enough reasonable folks. And there is stock: check autonation that claims to have 25 FJs in stock!

Let's face it, anyone smart enough to read an online forum (like this one) is also smart enough to figure out what the going prices are. Many dealerships that post prices online are already selling at or below MSRP. If you fail at that, try the new auto service at pricegrabber or simply spend $20 and do a reverse auction at mycar.

Unfortunately, most stealerships are still only getting models that MSRP in the upper 20's (plus) and at those (same) prices it just makes more sense to get a mid grade 4Runner... Given the FJ design/value short falls, it is only a matter of time before it will be selling at or below invoice. If you want one and you are not impulsive, just give it a few more months!
  • Options
    dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Toyota has a process in place already that rewards dealers that sell cars for msrp rather than holding on to them and asking for over msrp. Don't worry ,the dealars that are looking for profits over msrp will be hurt down the road when thier alloaction is cut because their turn ratio is in the can.

but abnormalbraindrainer also does not know what he is talking about as no dealer will be at invoice on the FJ this year. I already have my whole years supply sold at msrp and would love to get another 50,000 units to the us now. Don't listen to the haters every word but do be a smart buyer and look to a dealer that does not charge over msrp.
  • Options
    how about costco purchase program? they have negotiated price based in invoice not MSRP. toyota dealers going to honor this agreements on FJCs?

i see an awful lot of v8 4runners on lots. are they allocating more of the 4litres to the fj because of demand they are seeing? I expect that 46,000 number will be raised.
  • Options
    That is what we heard from the likes of you, Dreasdad, when '03 4Runners came out but within a year they were selling $2k under invoice. Honda dealers tried the same bull with the '03 Pilots but those were at invoice by the fall of that year.

Everyone knows that demand for foreign brands is much higher in the larger cities and those same vehicles are much harder to move in the middle states or smaller places. Driving 100 miles will save you thousands and spare you having to deal with.... enough said!

Dreasdad, were are you? We want to know where NOT to shop!
  • Options
    "$2k under invoice" dont you mean msrp? The dealer would lose money even with factory incentives. I paid $500 under invoice for my Tundra but I bought a new 04 in 05. It was about $7k under msrp. I paid msrp for the FJ.
  • Options
    toyota is going to have a race on their hands if the prices don't correct before the 2007 wrangler unlimited make it to the showrooms.

unless i find a toy dealer who wants to play lets make you a good deal I will go with the 2007 Wrangler Unlimited. The new convertible hard top is pretty cool - it also has solid axles.

The premium low class toy dealerships want for the FJ pays me $1250 per month to wait until fall to buy 2007 unlimited rubicon.
  • Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Check out the V8 equipped Lucerne CXS - basically a Caddilac DTS for 8-10K less.(totally different car as well, from the other Buicks - test this specific model) Also, look at Volvo and Saab. Also, the Audi A6. There are a few good semi-luxury brands out there that most people miss - though the Lucerne was a total out-of-left-field experience. Buicks suck after owning four out of my last nine cars. Just not this one. Drove like a mid-90s S Class, which is to say, way better than any Buick I've ever looked at.

I presonally like the Saab 9-5 best of all. Still feels "Swedish" enough. And the Volvo 80/90 series is superb as well - and all four don't have that cookie-cutter Lexus/Accura blandness to them.

Or she could just get a RX-8 and laugh like a little schoolgirl as she revs it up like a motorcycle and zooms around town. (car that impressed me the most for $25-30K)
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    We will give the Lucerne CXS a spin when I take the GMC in for an oil change. Thanks, she will not settle for anything but a 4 door sedan. It will have to be a step up from her LS400 or why change. I think if I had XM installed in the Lexus she would keep it another 10 years.
  • Options
    plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    If you can get one used, they depreciate like rocks. $35K turns into $20K in two years, which is great for you - just buy one used. Even a 6-8 month old one with 15K on it is $28K!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=201996898
    I just did a search within 50 miles of me for a Lucerne with a V8 in it. Let someone else eat the depreciation. :)

If you can wait for the 2007s in 4 months, it'll drop to 22-24K.

Oh - they make it with a bench seat option as well - I like it much better than the 5-person layout - feels more open up front and the traction control isn't a button on the dash. It's on the end of the transmission lever(it's on the collumn and not in the center stack).

Highlights:
    4 speed trans and the wide torque range finally FINALLY are a proper match. The magnetic ride is the real gem - it's a Caddy suspension. No more lurching, no more torque-steer, no more wabbling in turns - all electronically controlled. And it's astounding. If GM put this into every car they sell, it would revitalize them instantly.

It's huge - like an older Mercedes E420 LWB. But it's also as tight and poised as one. It drives a full size smaller.
  • Options
    rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 23
    No chip in the key.
  • Options
    rdevosrdevos Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: Findings after 2800 miles:
    I had no issues what I paid for mine, my vin ends in 4 digits so I received one under 2000 maybe they were nice to the first 2000.

FJ Pros over Jeep:
    Better ride on road
    Fun to drive
    Less noise
    Less rattles
    More power
    More storage with seats down
    Better towing then Jeep
    Ground clearance
    Lots of rock protection under the vehicle
    Off road in Az (Apache Junction area)very good

FJ Cons:
    High Test Fuel (why Toyota?)
    Roof Rack noise (excessive)
    Cross winds not stable
    Plastic all over
    Poor views (including front)
    Headlights do not auto turn off (or buzz)they just stay on
    No center console
    Cheap arm rests
    No leather
    Roof paint-chips very easy
    Very poor rear seating (this is a 3 person vehicle at best)
    Poor internal storage

Its as if they are trying to appeal to off roaders and folks that love big boom boxes. I think they have a good base 4X4 vehicle, but need to make a decision is it a FJ or a Fake Jeep to be used for cruising the BLVD.

The FJ is a nice to have 4x4 but I'm not selling my Jeep.
    They have a lot more work to do, look for the price to drop and add features ...soon.

This is no LC, 4Runner, Highlander, etc. It is not a family SUV, it is somewhat below an Xterra in over all performance and utility. I would rate it a C+
    Finally my teen age girls love it and love to drive it. What can I say? :-)

Jeep Sahara Pros:
    Better off road then FJ...yes better
    Reg. Fuel
    Leather
    Plenty of torque
    Stable off road
    Proven off road
    Better views every direction
    Parking

Jeep Sahara Cons:
    Too many squeaks for 56k miles
    Poor over all maint. record
    Performance is much less than FJ
    Stock tires ( I have BFG now)
    On road needs improvement

Summary: if it was just me going off road I would take the Jeep every time - With a friend take a FJ as you will need your friend to guide you while off roading due to poor viewing. Jeep is just a much better off road friendly vehicle (solid axles, roof off, better views, better turning ratio, now if they could just make it so it had Toyota quality!)
  • Options
    Rdevos, well said! It certainly seems that Toyota has taken a page from the domestics: go for exterior appeal and go cheap on everything to make more profit.

It is bad enough that many Toy vehicles require less practical options like sunroofs in order to get more desirable ones like side curtains. Frankly, this offering could be better thought out. If it was, it would have longer staying power. However, as is, it will not eclipse the Xterra & Jeep offerings.

Personally, I think that a vehicle equiped as the current FJ'07 should sell for at least $5k less than a 4Runner in order to entice some of us. Of course that would cannabalize 4Runner sales. At least it must sell under Xterra prices because it offers less content...

My $0.02.
  • Options
    I agree with a lot of what you write. If only Chrysler would sell the Jeep division to Toyota! I do think your a little nit picky in your criticism of the FJ. I've got no complaints from rear seat passengers but maybe thats because I'm only 5'9". The lights do turn off automatically, you must have the switch in the wrong position. I have not noticed that much noise from the rack. Straight axle versus i.f.s is open to debate. It depends on what your driving over. For me the towing capacity [3500 jeep 5000 FJ] is a big deal. I have not experienced high cross winds yet.
    I was going to sell my Tundra 4x4 but I cannot make up my mind. The Tundra has plenty of power, great visability, comfort, leather, nice stereo BUT it guzzles gas [12/14 mpg. I have to admit I prefer driving the Tundra and my wife the FJ. The mileage of the FJ is creeping up. I'm now getting almost 18mpg on regular.
  • Options
    i think i'm leaning toward the jeep unless toyota gives me a deal i cant refuse.

My wife and I want a good do anything go anywhere ute with manual tranny. we like the fj but the price issues with the dealerships and the fact that there is difficult for the kids to get to the bank window (the one that won't go down) is making the 2007 wrangler unlimited more and more attractive.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    someone ate toyota corporate ought to put an end to this crap

They can't. Toyota has nothing to do with local sales. It is an auto manufacturer only. It is not a retailer of auto's.

Ford tried local auto retailing as an experiment and it was a failure so they got out.

More importantly though... it's the American way of doing business. Wide screen plasma TV's, early PC's, Xboxes, etc, etc, etc. In the end the market will determine the correct price level.

If someone wants to pay $35,000+ for this vehicle why is that bad? True they are taking away the opportunity of you buying it just over invoice but that was that buyers choice. He could have passed. Lots of people do.
  • Options
    Aas I just noted. They can't and they won't change anything. The basic reason is that Toyota doesn't own the franchised stores. They have no say in how the pricing is done. The individual owner determines what he will do with his business.

Would you like it if some huge international conglomerate came to you and said 'Listen we know that you sell 150 units a month but look at Longo Toyota in CA. They succeed in selling at or near invoice and they do 2500 units a month. Now Mr Smalltown Toyota store. You must sell the same way Longo does.'

Your reply to the knee-breakers at Huge International Auto Maker is?

Here is another consideration you have to look at. What if that one store asking $5000 over sticker doesn't want to sell it? :surprise: Hmmmm. What if it's there to generate traffic and bring in the curious who might stumble on a Camry or a Taco or a RAV or all three. Now this one 'Not for Sale' FJ has generated 3 other sales.

The stores all know how many they will have for the rest of the year. Sell this one and it's gone until June or July lets say. Why sell it until the next one is in sight. That is unless someone demands to buy it and demands to pay the $5000 addendum. That's business.
  • Options
    i think there's more money to to be made by working lean. I feed my supply chain (toyota corp) increased demand resulting from my competitive advantage. I build goodwill with; i. my supplier - which helps improve in the quality (color and option availability) and timeliness of my inventory, and ii. my customer base - via word of mouth reputation which can do one of 2 things; 1) hurt me or 2) stimulate cash sales as well as my financing business. (Like most financing operations, the stronger the originations the more attractive your cost structure becomes)

MSRP is suggested for a reason.

Good in theory and it does work on volume vehicles; c.f. Longo in CA and Laurel CarMax in MD. However actual facts set in as I noted above. If you sell 'lean' on the FJ then you gain nothing. Sell it for invoice and you will wait 4 wekks for your next one. The guy across town sells it for $1500 over sticker and he also has to wait four weeks for his next one.

The benefit to you of selling the FJ 'lean' is????

Now consider this scenario.

YOu have one and do a nice person a favor and sell it at $100 above invoice. 3 more serious buyers come in to see it/test it and you say..."Sorry sold, come back another time". the next day a wealthy buyer with whom you've done lots of business over the years comes in and want's an FJ for his son's graduation ...NOW!! ..."Sorry sold, come back another time". Etc, etc, etc. The issue is more complicated than just what is the price.
  • Options
    Do you think that "sucker" is going to give you more business or will he/she soon declare bancrupcy? A more savvy buyer may be around for the next 50 years an buy a few more cars plus drop some coin on other work...

The benefit seems pretty clear: you are driving sales (volume) away and they end up in other brands... thus, reducing market share... decreasing economies of scale... etc. Does this sound like the GM story that did not deliver value to enough of its customer base. If you want to make more money/profit, you will have to work on q*p and focusing on p is not always the answer...

Sure, some will not see (m)any short term benefits from providing true value but over the longer term this type of bull will drive away every potential repeat buyer. It is a well know truism that it is much cheaper to satisfy the current customer than to earn a new one! Remember that some firms would like to stay in business for a long time instead of focusing on a single and final sale today.

Do you have the foresight to see those benefits? But as you point out, we are free to make choices. Welcome to America!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Toyota has nothing to do with local sales. It is an auto manufacturer only. It is not a retailer of auto's.

Ford tried local auto retailing as an experiment and it was a failure so they got out.

"In 40 states car manufacturers may not bypass the middleman to sell cars directly to the public....In Texas, for example, state regulators ruled that, because Ford's used-car Web site included price, Ford was illegally engaged in the direct sale of cars. The state threatened Texas dealerships that had participated in Ford's program with a $10,000-per-day fine."

This is from a 2000 report, and Ford lost their appeal in Texas (link).

Some say the American way would be to let consumers buy cars at Wal-Mart and Kmart. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Yes a typical young offroader who want to enjoy his youth prolly shouldn't be thinking about $35K for a toy. OTOH a well to do buyer who normally buys vehicles in the $50K range is hardly at risk of this putting him in BK.

There is no sales volume on this vehicle. It's one a month unless you happen to run/own a mega store and in these cases it's still just a pimple in sales volume.

Then there is a whole 'nother group of people looking over the shoulder of the GM or owner. His bankers and backers. If they see 'Crosstown' Toyota offering its one FJ at MSRP or with a $1500 addendum then they are going to be asking 'Why aren't you also?' 'Why should we be lending money to someone who wont try to make money?'

The biggest problem though as I noted before is if you sell it and it's gone it's impossible to generate any more sales. No one can see it or test it.
  • Options
    if the demand is there i fully expect toyota will up production rather than have a bunch of 4.0 liters sitting in slower moving vehicle inventory. I think they had better before Jeep starts rolling the new wrangler unlimited out of Toledo.
  • Options
    Their marketing dept doesnt miss much. As good as the vehicles are the Marketing of them might even be better. If demand remains strong then incremental changes in supply might occur. If demand falls then dropping it has no effect overall.
  • Options
    KDHSpyder, you make some good points! In fact, the short term perspective is a common flaw in many business who manage quarterly (or monthly) earnings instead of the big picture. Many other lines of business suffer from the same ailment. However, some dealers from other brands show much more discipline and keep to the MSRP in order not to "insult" the buyers or hurt the reputations of dealership and/or vehicle brand. Personal example: early in '03 model year I had a choice between 4Runner and Pilot but Toy dealers were playing games thus I bought a Pilot (out of state) for much less...

Toy marketing is not that hot: they play games with option bundling that often yield less than competitive pricing. Those procedures often drive more savvy buyers away too. Can we buy a stripped FJ at this time? Nope, because loading options loads profits: the dealers and the automaker are both trying squeeze more profits...

HOST is correct that franchise laws forbid the sale of vehicles directly to the public in the majority of the states. That is why many online models have failed to succeed: online sales have to typically (still) go through a dealer curbing significant degree of completion.

However, there is nothing stopping a buyer from buying a vehicle out of state... and sometimes out of country! Thousands saved is enough motivation to cover additional transaction cost and effort. Been there... Done that!
  • Options
    "toy marketing is not that hot"? Compared to what? Toyota will soon pass GM to become the US's and the Worlds best selling car and truck manufacturer. Of course they are trying to squeeze more profits, that is why they exist. Eventually supply will probably exceed demand for the FJ but while you wait I'll drive mine.
  • Options
    Worlds best selling car and truck manufacturer

I have to disagree. It will be a long time before they break into the truck market with significant sales. Toyota does OK with the Taco, the Tundra is not gaining any ground over GM & Ford. Tundra is about 5% of the full size truck sales so far this year. Until they offer a wider range of full size PU trucks they will be small time. Then to compete with Ford & GM they will have to sell to fleet operators. That is something even Dodge has had difficulty breaking into.

As far as the FJ Cruiser is concerned after seeing it up close, I dislike it even more than in the pictures. To each his own. Hope you enjoy it. Even if I liked it my wife would squelch the deal. She thinks it is hideous and would just as soon have our original FJ40 back. As I mentioned in an earlier post my wife does not like anything Toyota/Lexus has on the market right now except the LX470. She will keep the LS400 until Toyota/Lexus hires some good design people. Or she will switch back to Mercedes.
  • Options
    You're right, domestically, when it comes to trucks, but not worldwide. I visit Europe often and I dont think I've ever seen a full size Chevy or Ford there but Toyotas and Nissans are all over the place. The same is true in South America and Asia. My wife would also prefer the LX470, but they cost about the same [or more] as my Tundra and FJ combined.
    Tho I can see why someone would not like the FJ. It has some major design flaws. The spare should be mounted lower and the back glass bigger. There should be wrap-around glass in the rear corners. The rear seat should fold flat. The door mirrors......
    On the other hand it's nice to drive both on and off road and, compared to my Tundra, mpg is not too bad.
  • Options
    fjaddictfjaddict Member Posts: 2
    My 6-speed 4x4 FJ averaged 15 mpg in the city on its first tank. There was a lot of sitting in rush-hour traffic that adversely affected this number. Not stellar but slightly better than my V6 Touareg. It is certainly a lot more fun to drive than the Touareg.
  • Options
    Toy can beat GM on the quality of its products and design. GM marketing is pretty good because it is amazing that they are still in business: their products have sucked for over a decade!

Do you know any other maker that can produce 3, 4 or more models (based on the exact same specs) and pretend that they are in different segments? That economies of scale facet made GM no 1 but its inability to scale down is killing them now...
  • Options
    but not worldwide

Agreed, we are about the only country that drive full size PU trucks whether we need them or not. I think it is directly related to MPG. Gas powered small PU trucks are atrocious gas guzzlers for their size. I for one would trade my full size for a smaller diesel PU truck.

There should be wrap-around glass in the rear corners

That was my wife's first comment. How can you see out of that car. Funny though we were along side an orange Scion Xb. I told her maybe that would be a good runabout car. She said it looks like it has great visibility. So maybe we will go test drive the Scion box. You never know what a woman will like.
  • Options
    dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    but look at the turn ratio that Toyota Trucks have versus
    the industry at large
    Toyota trucks usually sell with in 30 days of arriving on the
    lot and ford and chevy are doulble that. Beacuse of tariffs Toyota is limited to what they can build here or now in Mexico. Once the san antonio plant is on like 100%
    you will see the the sweat on ford and chevy heads double
  • Options
    you will see the the sweat on ford and chevy heads double

That is possible. I would not consider a Toyota PU unless they build a midsize PU with a diesel engine. That would be worth the risk to me. I'm still hot about the POC 1994 Toyota PU truck I bought. The difference in lot times has been hashed over in the UAW discussion. I don't consider that a plus for Toyota just a minus for GM & Ford.
  • Options
    4X4 for 1000 over sticker

Is that supposed to be a good deal? How about $1000 under invoice then I will take the chance. I'm sure you will find a sucker, one born every 37 seconds in this country.
  • Options
    ron41ron41 Member Posts: 37
    It's strange why Toyota has a new T.V. commercial with four of its newest vehicles which includes the FJ Cruiser but they didn't say anything about the FJ, only showed it.
  • Options
    A couple of hours ago I stopped by the dealer that sold me my FJ and asked the sales manager if they were still trying to get $5k over msrp. He told me no because Toyota had told them to sell for msrp or below only. He also said they had none in stock and they have a waiting list. Interesting but true?
  • Options
    3rdiopen3rdiopen Member Posts: 6
    I wanted to chime in on this subject fellas. I'm sure some of you've seen the New Tundra (due out next year.) I'm not sure if any of you know what Toyota is planning to do with the new Tundra. The New Tundra will be available in a dualie, also cabin chassy, and a diesel engine due out by winter 07. They're upping the power by tons. By this time in '08. Chevy and Ford won't know what hit'm.I have the current "specs and plans." I will bring home the "insider info," tomorrow and post some of it!
  • Options
    I will bring home the "insider info," tomorrow and post some of it!

Please post away, but check your email and see the Rules of the Road link on the left. Promoting your dealership is frowned upon. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • Options
    oh, sorry guys. I wasn't aware. I won't do it again.
  • Options
    You may ask yourself. "Do salesman have any shame?" I'd have to so no. That isn't to say that, I , myself don't have any shame. I do! I probably could have used my understading for how these post work and not posted my contact info. I think I knew better! I would blush, but let's face it, it's the internet. LOL! I like the FJ Cruiser. I think we all know that nothing compares to it. Toyota is the best vehicle there is! Honda.......schmonda...Chevy...well...you know...ford...well you know...Has anyone else noticed that you see nothing but Toyota's in movies and on TV ads..in sports and other television events...even nascar if memory serves me...I'm glad I work for such a great company. The future is looking good for us and I love every minute of it. We appreciate all those who know what a great product Toyota really offers. If it's quality that you want. Then Toyota is really the only option....Have fun in your FJ..wish i had one!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    By this time in '08. Chevy and Ford won't know what hit'm

Unless Toyota learns to buckle under to the big fleet buyers they will not approach GM or Ford sales figures. IMO Dodge has the best diesel truck. They do not sell half of what Ford or GM sells. They are not fleet players. Those are the facts of life with full size truck sales. Some of these fleet buyers could buy Toyota out of their stamp drawer. We shall see how well they do. My understanding is the new plant in San Antonio will only produce 250k vehicles. Ford and GM sold that many by the end of April. Ford and GM have each sold more full size PU trucks than Toyota has sold Camry & Corollas combined. I can fully understand why Toyota wants into the full size truck market. Only time will tell if they got what it takes to make a dent. They will need to make some vast improvements from the current Tundra. Same goes for the Titan from Nissan.
  • Options
    IMO when ULSD is widespread you will see lots and lots of diesel trucks from both Toyota and Nissan, Imported from Thailand and produced here as well.

It's an easy transition for them.
  • Options
    It depends on your region... Toyota has a little more persuasive power in some regions than in others.
  • Options
    sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    Unless Toyota learns to buckle under to the big fleet buyers they will not approach GM or Ford sales figures.

I don't think that in Toyota's 5 year plan. But they will make the money Ford is making per F150. Remember the Grand Cheroke that makes over 10K per vehicle for Chrysler? Toyota SUV still no selling as many as Ford's, but much more profitable.

It is all about $$ dude!
  • Options
    Do both Ford and GM really sell more trucks than Toyota sells two of the worlds best selling cars, thats amazing! It's going to be interesting to see how the new Tundra does. A 5.7 v8, stronger bigger frame, longer, wider bed. I think that by 2011 Toyota will be dominant in the full-size market too. Unlike GM and Ford Toyota has great cash flow and smart flexible people in charge. I wish it was the other way round. Toyota already sells heavy trucks and buses in Asia plus a few diesels by their Hino subsidiary here.
    Toyota thinks it will sell 9,600,000 vehicles worldwide this year!
  • Options
    How about getting back to the Cruiser?

For more general talk, try GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda..:Who will sell you your next car? or one of the other discussions in Automotive News & Views.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Toyota thinks it will sell 9,600,000 vehicles worldwide this year!

That is a lot of vehicles. To stay on the FJ Cruiser. Are they sold anywhere except the US & Canada? Are they built here or Japan?
  • Options
    I read somewhere that in Japan there is a military/police version but otherwise only US and Canada. Who else would want such an impractical vehicle?