Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Lexus ES 350

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The engines that are in the family are as follows:

4.0L used in truck applications
    3.5L currently used in the Avalon, '06 Lexus IS, '07 Lexus GS
    3.0L currently used in '06 Lexus GS
    2.5L '06 Lexus IS

To the best of my knowledge, there's not a fifth variant of this engine displacing 3.3L, though anything is possible.

~alpha
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    There's going to be a 3.3L in the '07 Camry, I've heard. So I don't think it's impossible that it will be derived from the 3.5L.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    What would be the hp for a 3.5L engine? I have heard that the new Camry might be as high as 260 hp. I always thought that the Camry was under powered.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    Doesn't the Solara have a 3.3L engine? And the sportier Camry? Is that the engine that''s going to go into the '07 Camry?
  • Yes the Solara and Camry SE V6 both have the 3.3L engine. Edmunds has said it will be the more improved versions of the 3.3L engine. It should have more than its current 225 or 210 hp. Lets just hope it will have more. We will see it this January before it comes out.
    The 3.3L in the Camry SE and Solara V6 models is an iteration of the old, 3.0L that is on its way out and sees duty only in the Camry LE/XLE. I

f Toyota continues with the new engine family, and simultanesouly continues with a revised version of the current 3.3L, I think thats absolutely absurd- the new engine family is cleaner and VERY efficient while still quite powerful. (Right now, at the Kentucky plant, Toyota is producing 4 engines, which I cant fathom, when it could be fewer by at least one, possibly two *IF* both the 3.3L and 3.0L go the way of the ECHO).

FWIW, the Camry isnt underpowered, its just not a class leader in terms of power. The SE V6 can hit 60 in about 7 flat.... Nothing wrong with that...

Re: the ES, I think its most certain that it will feature some variant of the 3.5L engine, probably rated between the Avalon's 268 horses and the IS350's 304.

~alpha
  • ebbyebby Posts: 23
    Toyota/Lexus has been tuning their engines to different horsepower ratings using different headers/engine control/VVti on inlet and/or exhaust, etc. The current 3.3L V6 used in the RX330, Sienna, ES330 and Camry SE V6 are tuned to different horsepower/torque numbers (although the numbers are close) depending on the target use of the engine. Also note that the 3.5 V6 304 hp in the upcoming IS350 is the same engine block as the Avalon's 3.5 V6 (268 hp). Also note that the 4.7V8 used in the 2005 model year LX470,Landcruiser, 4Runner V8 and Sequoia has horsepower ratings from 235 hp to 282 hp depending on tuning.
  • ebbyebby Posts: 23
    I doubt if the 3.0L engine in the GS300 is a brand new engine (I am yet to check the bore/stroke dimensions). Chances are it is a retuned version of the old 3.0L engine in the Camrys and old Avalons. Spending some extra $$ on tuning an existing engine for more hp is common technology especially in a premium car that is selling for a higher price - I think the GS300 may be replaced with a GS350 in 2007 model year. Remember also that the new 3.5L engine is not entirely new. It is a "shorter stroke" version of the 4.0L V6 in the 4Runner that debuted in 2003. Same engine block with a smart design of piston length or stroke to achieve a displacement of 3.5L instead of 4.0L. In short, the 3.5L avalon engine shares the same engine block as the 4Runner V6 period with different pistons!.

See some smart cost control here ???
    You are wrong.

The 3.0L in the new GS300 is an iteration of the engine family that started off as the 4.0L in the 2003 4Runner which you indeed speak of. This family includes the new 3.5L in the IS350 and Avalon, as well as the 2.5L in the IS250.

The 3.0L in the GS is in ZERO ways related to the 190 horse 3.0L Camry engine that debuted first in the early 90s.

~alpha
  • http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied/112_2007fvf/index6.html

The next ES will have a 245 Hp engine. I personally think it will be higher than that considering the Avalon has 268 Hp. Although for its intended purpose, 245 HP is probably more than the average ES owner needs anyway.
  • How would motortrend know, they are pretty accurate but they are just assuming. i believe toyota will give the es a 3.5 engine with its more conservative styling. Toyota is now on the move to attract younger buyers with more powerful engines and better styling.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    the ES350 will get somewhere in the area of 270-275 horsepower.

Afterall, it can't be overshadowed by the less expensive Avalon, Camry V6, and RAV4.

The Avalon isn't a problem, but the Camry V6 could be. An ES has to be putting out more power than a Camry so people can justify paying more for the Lexus edition :blush:
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    I'm sure it will have more HP than a Camry V6 as usual. The question is whether it will be significantly more or a trivial amount just to be able to say it has more power.
  • cammer2cammer2 Posts: 38
    Any thoughts about the transmission choice?

Every new Lexus has debuted using the new 6-speed. Wouldn't that also be a way to differentiate it from the Camry V-6 ?
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    Both the new Camry ( V6 versions ) and the ES will most likely get 6 speed automatic transmission. However, I have read in more than one article that the new Camry will get a 3.3L engine whereas the ES will most likely get the 3.5L. The new 3.3L engine is not based on the bore and stroked version of the old 3.0L engine that has been around since the early 90s but a de stroked version of the new 3.5L engine
  • et01et01 Posts: 5
    Will the 2007 ES be a 'real' Lexus in that it will not share the same platform with the 2007 Camry? Will there there enough difference between the 07 ES and 07 Camry so people can no longer say it is just another dressed up Camry?
    will be the last Lexus car or something to share parts with a Toyota.

That didn't mean that Lexus TRUCKS won't still share parts with Toyotas.

Which means a Highlander based next generation RX is very, very possible.
  • Any info on when there will be a styling change to the ES?

I'm about to buy a 2006 and would not be happy to have Lexus into a new style in 2007.

Thanks
    There will be a new ES around summer 2006, more than likely. Completely redesigned, with the 3.5L V6 268 horse engine more than likely the powerplant. 2006 is a lame-duck year.

~alpha
    If you pay cheaply enough or get a really good lease deal it will be worth getting a 2005 or 2006 since they won't have discounting on the new model for some time since there is always heavy interest and pent up demand from people waiting for the new model to come out.
    You could get a lease a 2006 for 3 years then at the lease end go into a 2008-2009 ES at a heavy discount and save on both cars rather than paying the premium to get a 2007 while it is the new, hot model.
    The Black Diamond Edition looks nice, and since they're only making 3,000ish copies of it, that'd be the one to buy if you're going to get a 2006 on closeout.

Have you thought about leasing a ES330 on a 3 year lease, and then buy a 2008-2009 model at invoice? You'll be driving the latest design still for 3-4 years.
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Posts: 202
    The ES release will be somewhere closer to March than summer time.
    Even better!

~alpha
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Posts: 202
    Sorry to debunk Edmunds but here's a REAL spy shot of the new ES... Thanks to Vince.

http://img433.imageshack.us/img433/589/newescovered4pn.jpg

What's up on the Future section of Edmunds is a Camry listed as a Lexus ES.
  • Is this the real deal? I hope so! :-)

2007 Lexus ES?
    Of course not. It's a computer rendering, not a photo.
  • Ya, but is it a computer rendering of the actual model?
  • It looks like a hack-job created by a 4 year old with a crayon! Who in their right mind would even try to pass that off as a real possibility?
  • and therefore no show in Tokyo.
    The only show they will release the ES and Camry will be Detroit show. And they are still the same car. 268Hp Avalon engine, also on Rav 4, Camry, ES, RX, and later on Sienna and highlander.

Camry I-4 Hybrid should be earlier than summer, since it should be made in Japan first and imported.
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    I don't think that is true anymore. Toyota is introducing the LEXUS brand in Japan starting this year. I am sure the WINDOM will be renamed the Lexus ES.
This discussion has been closed.