Sales Flops of 2005

191011121315»

Comments

• bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,435
    I haven't seen a Solstice yet, but I don't think that counts as a flop. The Pontiac dealer is twice as close as the Mazda dealer, but I've already seen 2 or 3 NCs.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's more of an issue of lack of supply. Aren't they sold out through the end of summer?

-juice
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganMember Posts: 13,994
    They are all gone including the Sky. ;)

Rocky
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    #1 Big Tuna Flop is probably the Pontiac Torrent. I haven't even seen one yet !!!!!

Pontiac Torrent???? What is that? :confuse: LOL
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    that the name on this thread can change?

Seeing 2005 on the top of the heap of visited threads whenever I visit the townhall is disconcerting.
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaMember Posts: 31,450
    It is an entry level CUV I would say. It sold 4000 in March. About 11k through March of this year. I have not seen one, nor have I looked for one. Too many look alike vehicles anymore.

http://www.pontiac.com/torrent/index.jsp?seo=goo_torrent
    It's too early to say. It just came out. And Chevy has more dealers, so Equinox will outsell it.

It replaces the Aztek, so it's a definite improvement.

-juice
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    Thanks, but I was being sarcastic ;) I haven't seen one either. I have seen a couple of Vibes, but a lot more Matrixs. IMO the Vibe and Torreent look close in size, too close.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 24,705
    is at auto shows. I kinda like it though. I actually prefer it to the Equinox, but then I always did have a preference for Ponchos. For example, I would take a Catalina over an Impala, a LeMans over a Chevelle, or even an Astre over a Vega! :P

One of my friends is going to be getting a new SUV soon, and he had narrowed it down to an Equinox or an Xterra. I tried to sway him towards the Torrent, but he didn't like it! But he's getting an Xterra anyway, so I guess it's a moot point. Hey GM, I tried. :shades:
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaMember Posts: 12,726
    didn't do a good enough job on the rebadge with the Equinox/Torrent twins - they look so similar that the one will kill the other, methinks. And the Equinox got here first, so it has momentum the Pontiac doesn't have.

Neither is very popular though, right? Gas prices are probably hurting it a bit too - the 3.4 is the only engine, I think.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAMember Posts: 9,400
    Once we get the archives back, this one will move there and we'll wind up with a 2006 topic.

That's so 500 years from now, when archaeologists are digging for clues here, they won't have to wade through a 10,000 post topic that contains the sales flops from all those years ;)
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "I haven't seen a Solstice yet, but I don't think that counts as a flop. The Pontiac dealer is twice as close as the Mazda dealer, but I've already seen 2 or 3 NCs."

What are NC's?
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,435
    Third-gen Miata/MX-5. NA (89-97) was the original with flip-up headlights, NB (98-05) was the second-gen with fixed headlights, and NC (06+) is the new one.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Is that the deal? The archives are going to come back?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAMember Posts: 9,400
    Oh yea... the archives are just in temporary cold storage! ;)
    Minor correction - there was no 98 model in the USA, so the first NB was really a 99 model.

Torrent does look too much like the Equinox, and why do both get the old 3.4l made in China when GM has a much better 3500 engine on the shelf? Maybe they used the old molds and shipped them to China?

Any how, Suzuki won out, because they get the stretch version of that platform with 3 rows of seats, plus a superior engine with 250hp.

That should have been the Pontiac.

-juice
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    Sales Flop = Pontiac Aztek
    Heres another car that I don't see much of.... The Malibu Maxx SS - or for that matter a Malibu Maxx. I see a few Malibu, but I see more 06 Impala's than I do total Malibu's (04-06) and I rarely see a Maxx. I even test drove a Maxx in 04 before buying my Imapal and liked it, but decided on the Impala even though it was on it's way out because I was able to purchase a bigger car for less money.
    Here is another flop I see looming... How about the Dodge Magnum? While much heralded when it first debuted, I don't see many of them on the road. Now I don't hate the car and was actually trying to convince my wife that we should buy one instead of the Impala a year ago, but since we have an Impala in the driveway, you can see who won that argument. (Unless I decide to get a Colorado, I am going to win the we are getting an Avalanch argument though... :))

Anyway, it's great vehicle with great utility and even with out the Hemi motor, it is competive in the mainstream family market, I just don't see many of them. It could be that the looks are a little too agressive - the main reason my wife didn't want one, or is the "wagon" stigma? I'm a family man and it would've offered far more utility than my Impala... or is it that once the Charge came out, people said "Why buy a WAGON, when I can get a sedan that looks like a coupe with real performance?" ...
    The same thing is happening with GM and their 07 Tahoe... I was on the the Chevy lot a few weeks ago just after they started recieving 07 Tahoes and still had 06's on the lot... I made a comment like "now's a good time to buy a Tahoe" and the saleman said something like the rebates and what they were offering you could get an 06 loaded Tahoe for under 30K.... Too bad I wasn't in the market for one, I would have jumped all over an 06 Tahoe old design or not, its a awsome people mover.
    I thought the Baja was a pretty cool little car... A sedan with a bed and AWD. Kinda takes the El Camino package to the next level. I considered a Baja as a replacement for my S-10, but now I have decided I would run the truck into the ground first.... Plus my wife hated the way it looked.
    I actually like the HHR. I have never really like the PT Cruiser. And the fact that is was built on a Neon platform never did much for me either since I am not a fan of that car. But Bob Lutz who was responsible for the Cruiser had a huge hand in the HHR and this time around I think the design was done right. Had Lutz still been at Chrysler, I think the HHR would be wearing a Chrysler badge right now. Time will tell if the HHR is a flop. I see quite a few of them around so it looks to be selling well. It is a good car with good looks and a tasteful interior that is useful. So we shall see...
This discussion has been closed.