2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Toyota Fearing Hyundai?

Comments

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,202
    I sat this morning watching cars at my favorite coffee/cappuccino quick mart. One guy goes in every day and has a Sonata a couple of years old. I keep looking at it and I realized today that it just looks "nice" from the side. It has the pleasing shape that toyota Camry lost when they went to the slab sides and Wurlitzer taillights before the current BMW rear end they have now. The Sonata has tasteful design that camry of the mid and late 90s had.

I haven't asked this driver how he likes his car like I've done with some others. But I predict his answer will be that he loves it and has had no problems with it to make him regret having bought it.

re Toyota new engines: I hope they can engineer them better than the current problematic engine/software/transmission they currently are getting notariety from in their Camrys. I wonder if the line of problem through the car, ES/Avalon/Camry, propelled them to a redesign?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    >While all you busy bashers of Toy, Hyundai, or any of the others are so happily focused doing your oneupmanship thing

So much for the middle of the road status oldguy claimed to have... :mad:

Sorry, but I had to point that out. I had said I was done with the previous dialogue. ;):blush:

As for the China cars being shipped here, some would say that's inevitable just as clothing, shoes, TVs, and everything else has been imported by American companies to profit as they ruin our own industries. Some would say it's deserved by the auto industries; actually many DO SAY that in their posts.

I think we need to take a middle of the road approach and watch to see what happens. :blush: :sick: :shades:

• Options
    oldguy70oldguy70 Member Posts: 97
    Your comments remind me of the story about Nero playing his violin while Rome burned!
    If the situation I've revealed in post 1173 comes to pass, it isn't going to matter much what car you think looks better.
    Furthermore your well known and oft repeated dislike for Toyota won't really matter much either.
    Neither will being cynical about my middle of the road positions.
    The China situation is a real threat, and I'll make no middle road statements on that account.
    It's happening as we speak, friend.
    Neither should you berate others about it if you hope to see a sustainable manufacturing sector in our future!
    Something to think about?
    Or is this not your thing?
  • Options
    >Furthermore your well known and oft repeated dislike for Toyota won't really matter to much either.

Your responses keep sounding familiar like someone else's postings on edmunds. do you have an alter ego that you post under? This account opening on May 11; why would you say my "well-known and oft-repeated dislike"? That would be something a long term member might have an opinion (their opinion) about but not a newby.

Like I said if your first post were middle-of-the-road, then I'm proHoToy... Actually I'm middle of the road. You'll find I'm very open to different brands when shopping. I don't tolerable bad salesrooms and dealerships with their selling attitudes that are ripoffs of uninformed buyers. I have shopped all reasonable alternatives when I was ready for my last 3 purchases including HOToy and couldn't find a reason then to purchase a smaller, under-powered vehicle to get equivalent fuel mileage to the V6s that I chose for ME and my driving. I have posted frequently about the attitudes of salespeople and stores selling them that _I_ experienced. I found again there was no reason to buy them.

I sat in a neighbor's brother's Toyota Camry. He wanted me to see how great the leather seats, white, were. I was under impressed. The plastic interior looked cheap and parts didn't fit well. The design on that model was cheapo. The car was a bright red (a plus for me) and the interior was white. Not nice because the light colors showed off the imperfections in fit and design.

I thought about my leSabres and their interiors and the Sonata and Azera I had checked out at the Hyundai deal about 3 miles away a few months ago. I couldn't see the big deal of the Camry. Now a Toyot Lexus, a real Lexus not the Camry addons, might be assembled better. I'll stop by that deal later in the month when I have some time to shop.

As for the Chinese import challenge I actually agree that it's a major concept that's possible. I've said that as soon as they've eliminated US brand companies, the foreign companies will start moving their production to other countries and bring the cars back. Your clip is saying we can look forward to Toyota of China importing the Camry of the future because it will be much cheaper than building part of their cars in Kentucky and even Indiana at the plant there...

Looks like we just disagree on other things, oldguy70. Have a good day. :);) :shades:

• Options
    oldguy70oldguy70 Member Posts: 97
    Your position is quite clear, and understood--completely.
    As is your oft professed dislike for all things Toyota. (All I did was look up your profile with the last dozen or so posts all with the same message, BTW)
    I guess some folks prefer playing violins and hanging out at coffee/cappuchino shops, doing the armchair quarterback thing.
    OK by me!
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    How is this different from BMW's Valvetronic?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Now that's something to be afraid of!!!!!!!!!

You and I agree on that issue. Where will that leave Toyota? Toyota has not done well with its operations in China. There is real apprehension on the part of the Chinese to accept the Japanese manufacturers. That is why GM and VW are one and two in China.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    If that scenario takes place, it won't really matter whether you drive a GM, Toyota, Honda, etc. They'll all be Chinese-made junk like every brand of toaster you see for display at Target or Wal-Mart.

"Gee, honey, should I buy a Rival, Procter-Silex, or GE toaster?" Does it really matter? They're all junk just like all cars would be in that situation.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A lot of people think cars are appliances today anyway.
  • Options
    >Chinese-made junk like every brand of toaster

And they'll all be the same toaster with a different outer layer. Magazines will continue to argue over which toaster does the best 0-60 time and handles better on a slalom course when in reality they're the same toaster.

Look at the refrigerators and dishwashers sold today. They are the same layout inside in many brands because they're from the same manufacturer.

• Options
    Look at the refrigerators and dishwashers sold today.

I have and most are made in South Korea. We like the refrigerators built by LG the best. Most of the GE brands are made in Mexico.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    This is exactly the kind of thing Toyota needs to do to maintain or even extend its position. As long as they keep innovating like that, it will make it harder for the likes of Hyundai to catch up. Toyota has deeper research pockets than Hyundai, so they need to use that advantage as they have done on engine technology. It took Hyundai a few years to catch up with Toyota on the VVT technology, so we'll see how they respond to this challenge. One way would be to send more turbodiesels to the U.S.--Hyundai has a lot of experience to draw on there.
  • Options
    prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    The most reliable brand overall is Whirlpool. Maytag is below avg in reliability. The Chinese will not be able to build autos immediately like the top companies. Everyone knows it takes 5 years or more to get things worked out.
  • Options
    Maybe they should now show the Maytag repairman all exhausted, five days worth of beard stubble, on the verge of a nervous breakdown, chain-smoking, and guzzling Jack Daniels as he's sitting in an office with the phone ringing off the hook. A mob of people are standing outside banging on the door looking for blood. His uniform is all dishevelled and grease-stained. His wife has just divorced him and taken the kids. He contemplates ending it all as he looks with vacant eyes at the .38 pistol in the top right-hand desk drawer.

The TV announcer says, "The Maytag Repairman sure is busting his butt these days!"
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    The most reliable brand overall is Whirlpool. Maytag is below avg in reliability.

The sad thing there is both companies are owned by the same corporation!

Whirlpool and Maytag ;)
  • Options
    bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    It won't require a German maintenance bill? :P

Conceptually it is the same thing, though I imagine the implementation will be different. Nissan also went for direct valve control on the VQ37HR, presumably without the high-rpm difficulties that BMW had.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And even if the washer companies were different, they'd still be outsourcing a lot of the same parts from the same suppliers.

Look at the pet food recall - high end and low end stuff was all being made in the same factory - mostly you were paying for the "name."

Parts is parts. :shades:
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Parts is parts

One of my favorite sayings. :)

If you look carefully, you can tell which parts are made in the same factory. Lawn tractors, ag tractors, tools, appliances, and on and on. I really laugh at salesmen that claim their clothes dryer is better than brand X, when I know they came from the same factory.

Yes, Toyota and the rest should fear China, but that's a few years off yet. However, it's not something the consumer should fear. Just as (I guess) Hundai had a slight effect on Toyota's pricing, the Chinese cars will force the leaders to rein in their prices.
  • Options
    prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    Lexus is selling over 100,000 annually and is making huge profits...the whole point a luxury brand. Non-luxury marques are more prone to the Chinese barrage, initially, because the Chinese will enter the non-luxury market and won't be able to forge into that market for at least a decade or more. Hyundai knows they need to offer vehicles like the Genesis, Veracruz and even upper end Sonata's and Santa Fe's because the Chinese products will intially be purchased on price and not perception of quality. So quality products like Santa Fe's, Camry's, Rav-4's, Azeras, Avalons are less likely to close down their plants than Accents, Yaris, Elantra and Corolla plants. The Chinese are going to make in-roads and hurt everyone, but the economy Pontiacs, Cobalts, Chryslers, Fords. IMO Nissans, Hyundai's, Honda's and Toyo's will be prepared. But who really knows. From here, it looks like the Chinese have more of an uphill battle than people realize. We are talking about major safety, hybrid tech issues that they are not addressing and not meeting the projected targets to enter the market. They are still 5 years away from impacting our market.
    Eventually, if an automaker is not producing cars in China for China, in India for India, etc. then they are going to be in trouble. I don't think Hyundai or Toyota is going to disappear anytime soon. Hyundai has to get the strikes in Korea (another looming next week) as well as their workers pay (Korean autoworkers last year made more than UAW workers) or they'll continue to lose billions. They lost $1.8 billion last year over strikes and their sales were flat only because of this. Toyota is simply not as susceptible whether anyone likes it or not.
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    http://www.intellichoice.com/press/2007-best-overall-car-value

I thought value was Hyundai's game? :blush:

DrFill
  • Options
    harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    Kia Best Bets / 2007 models, by Jack Gillis. 8 models picked.

http://www.watchmojo.com/cars/blog/?p=260
  • Options
    ykangykang Member Posts: 88
    I didn't know intellichoice was owned by Toyota. :sick:
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,364
    Your comments remind me of the story about Nero playing his violin while Rome burned!

Unless Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus had a time machine that never happened.

That out of the way I agree on taking a middle of the road approach. China might be a big threat or it may be the next Yugo. With that in mind I would watch them and make contingency plans just in case but other than that watch them.

Who knows in ten years all the Yugo jokes will be Chery jokes.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    It is.

“The Azera and Sonata are both excellent examples of Hyundai’s commitment to outstanding quality, standard life-saving safety technologies and unbeatable value,” said John Krafcik, vice president of Strategic Planning and Product Development, Hyundai Motor America. “It’s rewarding that Kiplinger’s recognized both sedans for their segment leadership.”

"Unbeatable value" as in, Sonata is the best value in its class (better than Camry), and Azera is the best value in its class (better than Avalon), according to Kiplinger's:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/abouthyundai/news/2007_03_05/2007_03_05.aspx

Or how about cars.com calling the Accent the best value compared to the Yaris and Fit?

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/buyingGuides/Story.jsp?section=Passenger&story=cc_subCompacts&subject=stories&year=New

Just some examples to show that "value" is subjective, and not universally defined.
  • Options
    Sorry you are Hyundai bashing. Want to keep it real then I'll say that Toyota is rather dull, uninspiring and slightly over priced. Hyundai on the other hand is on the move and will likely get my business again.

Didn't know Hyundai was such an inspiration! My sales chart must be inverted!

This 10% increase next to Toyota must surely belong to Hyundai, because you is my inspiration.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, since you have the business accumen among us, but if Toyota goes up 10% every year, might they be underpriced?

That flatline noise I hear everytime Hyundai sends a sales press release must be a computer malfunction? (Whack!) :lemon:

Hyundai couldn't really be overpriced, could they? Since they are such a super value, and since there is some excuses.....I mean.....misfortune that has caused 18 months of stagnation in market share.

Maybe the way to get this ship moving is to......target BMW and Lexus! I have complete confidence in their abilities to threaten Nissan, Honda, or Toyota.

Instead of going to the GM School of Marketing, why not come up with a campaign GM hasn't already failed with, like a new slogan!

How about "Driving Excitement!". What....it's....oh

I trust Hyundai will think of something....

Warranties (Strike One). Lower Prices (Strike Two).

They're innocent I tell you. Innocent!

You know, it's funny. Is inspiration standard equipment at Hyundai? It makes for strange, and troubled, bedfellows (Chrysler).

Wait a minute! I feel.....suddenly....all inspired!

So inspired that.....I need to drive a Hyundai Tiburon, to the mall, right now!

Get that &%$@ 'Vette away from me!! I Gotta go! :shades:

Vroom!

DrFill
  • Options
    I can tell by the sarcasm that I hit a nerve. Face it Toyota sells cars that are somewhat bland and boring not to mention slightly over priced. You know it and I know it, once the greater population realizes that what does Toyota have?

Face the music, I can get more car for less money in Hyundai than I can with a Toyota. Heck for the same price as a base Camry V6 I can get a fully loaded Sonata V^ which includes stuff the Camry doesn't have like standard stability control and traction control, not to mention the warranty. Heck for the price of a top of the line Camry I can get a fully loaded Azera. Why should I get a Toyota over a Hyundai then?

• Options
    First Ting: To simply answer a cookie of a question, because you can fool some of the people some of the time. Hyundai's sales struggles vs. Toyota's Bob Beamon leaps tell all you need to know about where the smart money lies.

And my #2: For a Hyundai person to pick on Toyota for being dull is quite an astute observation.

Like a pot calling a pot a pot! ;)

DrFill
  • Options
    Kind of interesting. Hyundai is no threat to Toyota, yet Toyota's "incentives are higher than they need to be." Why is that? If Toyotas are such great cars, why aren't they selling for MSRP or even more, which is the way it was at one time? Perhaps its because of pricing pressure from... Hyundai, for one? Or maybe Toyota offers the rebates out of the goodness of their executives' hearts, as a friendly gesture to the American people?

I am wondering what would happen to Toyota's sales if their prices went up, say, 10-20%. Do you suppose that would cause any drag on sales? That is basically what has happened at Hyundai over the past year or so; prices are going up significantly as they roll out new designs and reduce incentives. Increasing profit per car at the expense of flattened sales volume in the near term. Some would see this as a sign of weakness. Others would see it as a calculated sales strategy to move the brand up-market and prosper in the long run; something that Hyundai had to do as it works to raise its brand image.
  • Options
    All sales are struggling but sales isn't an true indicator of which is a better product. If it was McDonalds would be the best food around.

You haven't answered my question, why should I buy a camry when I can get a Sonata with more to it for less? Why won't you answer it?

Tell me why would "smart money" pay more to get less?

As for your claim to tell where the smart money lies, as an accountant and financial advisor I can tell you that "smart money" lies at the feet of very few people.

• Options
    Would Hyundai be Jack in The Box, or Arby's? :confuse:

DrFill
  • Options
    You like to avoid the issue, so why don't you answer my question?

Seeing that I can get a fully equipped top of the line Sonata V6 for the same price that a base Camry V6 runs why would I get a Camry over the Sonata? You mentioned smart money which car would smart money buy? The one with much more equipment for the same price or the one with a lot less?

I think we all know the answer to this one don't we? ;)

• Options
    I think Hyundai is more like a Chili's. Where you get a decent car for a decent price with the longest warranty, from an automaker that is not afraid their cars will fall apart.
    Hyundai is for discriminating buyers I would say.

Toyota has done a good job with their 100s of millions in advertising. They even have some people believing they are a Green car maker. Toyota has proven the power of advertising can overcome a mediocre product line. Toyota is to the automobile what McDonald's is to the hamburger. Billions sold.
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Why is everything sales, sales, sales? You sound just like a... never mind. :blush:

McDonalds does NOT make the best burger, they just sell more because of their numerous stores and their ubiquitous advertising. Smart consmers go a little off the beaten path and get a better burger for about the same price. Indecisive herd followers that are too lazy to look around settle for McDonalds.

If you make a list of the top 10 reasons to buy a car, "Sales" should never be on the list. Buying something because it sells big is nothing more than blind herd following, which is the WORST reason to buy anything.
  • Options
    poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I agree, most Toyota's are dull. There are many dull cars on the market today, but Toyota holds that title and lives off a reputation from the past.
  • Options
    The best burger is probably made in some Mom & Pop diner which could be compared to a small manufacturer like Porsche or Ferrari. For large fast-food chains, Burger King makes a better burger but McDonald's fries are better.

Per Hyundai, you're probably getting 7/8 Camry for 2/3 price. How are Hyundai sales personnel? Toyota sales personnel are like sharks in a pool with a wounded seal.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I remember reading a review about a Toyota some years ago in one of the car mags and even then their take on Toyotas were that they were (to the best of my recollections):

1. Solid and reliable
    2. Competent
    3. Dull and boring
    4. Lack soul or passion
    5. More of an isolation chamber than a driver's car

For an enthusiast, there was not much to recommend at that time, or now for that matter. But for the general buying public, Toyota made the car that was the "appliance" they were looking for and rode that philosophy to the top. Not unlike the road Hyundai and a few others are attempting to follow right now. ;)
  • Options
    Hyundai has a RWD sport coupe on the way in a year or three, but where is the Supra?
  • Options
    driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    McDonalds?!!! Actually, I much prefer Burger King. I think that Mcanything is just too bland and certainly not worth what one has to pay. Extremely popular though.
  • Options
    Bang for your buck? Forget the popular! Stay ahead of the game. Save your money! Be the smart shopper.
  • Options
    Now you're talkin'! I just do not like front wheel drive.
    The Supra was the only Toy that ever turned my crank! Would Toyota ever sell enough of them to justify their return?
  • Options
    tiburonboi25tiburonboi25 Member Posts: 8
    Hmmmm.. I think Hyundai would be Subway, you see them all over the place, but there are still a lot of people who don't like them.
  • Options
    But GM would be McDonalds, as they are still easily #1 in America, and Toyota would be more like Wendy's.

New Triple Cheese Burger for $1.99! Sweet! :D

Since I answered Weasel's question in a earlier post, to answer the next inquiry, why is it sales, sales, sales, well.....that's how we keep score.

Toyota has become the Tiger Woods of automaking. Whether you like it, or don't like it, learn to love it. :shades:

Hyundai can be Sergio Garcia. Lot of talent, but +7 on the front nine at The Open.

He's comin' right back, doh! ;)

DrFill
  • Options
    I think Subway is a brand that once you try it you will like it. Maybe that is a good slogan for Hyundai.

"Try it you WILL like it".
  • Options
    New Triple Cheese Burger for $1.99! Sweet!

Isn't that what killed Dave Thomas the man who started Wendy's. Too much fat not enough of the good stuff. Good analogy for Toyota.
  • Options
    I believe he was diabetic. He probably handled his diet very carefully. I believe there's a day in his honor related to a charity where money will be donated to a cause for each of a certain item bought on that day... I'll have to read the sign in the store again. I know he pushed for adoption.

• Options
    I think he died waiting for some equity on his paid-off Hyundai. ;)

DrFill
  • Options
    maybe Hyundai should get a loaded LX Sonata, and get the (4 cylinder?) Accord and Camry to test drive, like Saturn is doing?
    Or maybe put the base model Azera(24K?), up against maybe lower-mid-range Accord/Camry of similar prices?

I am also cuious about this All Suzuki Built Verona coming out next year(no GM-DAT involved).
  • Options
    lol... got 2 admit it...that is funny, and for us, true, on our 04 Sonata.
    I did look it up... I will have to wait to 4 years paid off to get around even, or make a few dollars, on trade-in.
    Makes me wait, but that may be a good thing?
    Look 4ward to seeing the new: Corolla, tC,SX4 sedan this fall,maybe Astra 3 door in Nov,and possibly the next gen, all Suzuki built(as mentioned above in my last post)Verona(if it is built as well as the in-laws 8 month old SX4 CUV...may buy one!) or maybe a Versa( spouse not liking this car, plus our 97 200sx was bad... at65K, needed a rebuilt starter,ignition coil issues, timing chain gear, etc, and the dealership was horrible...they are out of business now, new owners, and moved across town. They seem decent, the people I met there 2 weeks ago).
    But, until then, I wait
  • Options
    I think you can get a loaded LX with the 4-banger now. They were thinking about it, at least.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Yes. I4s and V6s are now available with all trims.
This discussion has been closed.