Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!

Jeep Liberty Diesel Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• winter2winter2 Posts: 1,801
    You are using the 0W-40 oil (big mistake). Use a synthetic 5W-40 or synthetic 15W-40 from anyone else but Mobil. Even Mobil does not recommend the 0W-40 for this engine on their website. Amsoil and Redline have really good oils. Shell Rotella synthetic is not to bad either.

Do you have the correct dipstick for the engine? I have read somewhere that the incorrect dipstick may have been put in some of the CRD engines.

Have a reliable diesel mechanic check the CCV system to make sure it is working properly.

Check for external leaks!

Find another dealer. They sound like losers.
  • Has anyone found a good CRD mechanic in Santa Fe, NM. Any experiece with the Litha? THe local dealer.
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    gswartz: Someone is telling you a ball faced lie! No way on the oil usage, I go 5,000 miles and only down a 1.2 qrt. I switched to Shell Rotella 5-40w Synthetic. I think the 0-40 is fine in the winter, if it gets below 18 F.
    Call the Customer service line at 1800-992-1997 and make a request for some help. But avoid what kind of jerk told you oil useage like that was ok...It just an't so..

Farout
    I just got this recall notice concerning torque converter replacement and detuning the engine. Has anyone else done this? How much performance loss is there? How much torque is lost in the detuning process? What about fuel economy? Is there any impact here?
  • siberiasiberia Posts: 520
    Gswartz, Winter2 and Farout are right on. Mine used 1 quart the first 1,300 miles then slowed dramatically. Oil consumption virtually stopped at around 16,000 miles. It's been 4,000 miles since my last oil change and oil level has moved less than 1/16 inch on the dipstick if it has moved at all. You could also have a bad seal on a turbo bearing.
  • siberiasiberia Posts: 520
    I share your concerns, Winter2. I have been trying to rationalize how this would be done and what would be the result? I'm sure you have thought of the following already:

One way could be to limit wide open throttle (fuel flow). But that does not make any sense since at wide open throttle engine rpm is high and torque is already low compared to maximum available. So that would not do much good. But, It would not hurt our mileage since we do not run at wide open throttle when getting good mileage.

Another way could be to back off on the timing. That would cut torque and horsepower over the entire range. And, I think that would affect our mileage and performance.

Another way could be to reduce the power temporarily during shifts. That might reduce performance and fuel economy in town but not affect fuel economy on the highway.

Still another way could be to reduce the maximum boost. That might reduce all out performance but not affect fuel economy during normal driving.

And finally, it could be a combination of all or any of these or something(s) I havn't thought of.

Whatever, it sucks the big one because we paid for 295 lb ft of torque and DC should not be able to take that away. How much do they want to take away? It would seem like it would take a 10 percent reduction to do much good and that's 30 lb ft. What makes no sense to me is that I have never been able (as far as I can tell) to use full torque anyway (maybe at 1800 rpm in low gear) because the tranny runs away from maximum torque, usually before WOT.

I'm going to seriously drag my feet on getting this done. However, I am afraid that DC will try to void my warrantee on the tranny if I wait too long to get the torque converter done and the tranny fails in the mean time. :mad: :confuse: :sick:
  • goodcrdgoodcrd Posts: 253
    Don't worry about the "Maximum Torque Issue". The engine has to be under load for this to happen. Even at WOT with the progression from one gear to the next max torque shouldn't be reached until 25% into that new gear range. The problem also seems to be at vehicle speeds above the 35 MPH range. So with the reprogramming you shouldn't feel any difference when pulling a load. Just unloaded. Don't feel bad check out the history of Nissan and Honda with torque converter problems. Be glad DCX is addressing the issue and not pulling a "Toyota". They just get rid of the model name and hope you forget about it.
    Siberia, Goodcrd:

Thanks for your input. I am going to make an appointment with the local dealer tomorrow to have this done. I will call Chrysler though to see what this really entails. As I get information, I will pass it on to all in this forum.

What I do suspect is that the RFE545 trans we have on our Jeeps is a junior version of the RFE545 they put on the Dodge Ram trucks with the hemi. DCX has been making junior and senior versions of transmissions for many years. The difference between the two versions is not only size but also the toughness of the internal parts. What I learned was that the issues of the senior transmissions are usually found in the junior sibling.

According to the recall notice, it should take the dealer 5.5hours to perform the service. If they find that there is more damage beyond the torque converter, then it will take them 6.5 hours. If the latter is the case, then I will ask them to put a Transgo shift correction kit that is available to fix some issues inherent to the RFE545.
    winter2: The transmission is just the same as trany other 545 RFE. Ours had to have the two filters changed when we first got it, and I asked the tec if there was any difference and said it is exactally the same as any other 545 RFE.

On the recall I wonder if they change out the TC can we say no to the re-flash? I am not a fan of DCX's re-flash ideas. I believe I am calling the Customer I D C number and finding out what the re-flash is going to do. (I D C is I don't Care) We do not deserve any better, because we were so trusting we bought a CRD, with no discount, to be part of a 11,000 member "Test Market". We trusted DCX that they would treat their customers better than the Yugo treated their customers. I think DCX used Yugo's how to rip consumers off, and make them pay extra to be a part of a "test Market". Recently DCX called the CRD an experiment Why were we not informed? I must have a had a sign on my forehead that said DUMMY. I like the CRD but DCX's tactics are less than ethical!!!!

Farout
    While running some errands this afternoon, including getting my Jeep washed, the engine check light came on without even a hiccough or a chime to announce it's presence. Once I got home, I did the on-off X 4 trick and the odometer coughed up these two codes in the following order:

P0299
    P0410
    done

I can only guess that these two codes or at least one of them is related to the dreaded EGR valve problem.

I will call the dealer in the morning to make arrangements to have this fixed along with having the PCM also replaced at the same time per Farout's experiences.

As to your comments, Farout, concerning the trans recall, I agree about the re-programming part. There is a company in Texas that does nothing but modify the RFE545. Their torque converters are made with brazed parts and they use carbon fiber and kevlar for the clutch material in the transmissions they modify. I would like to see if DCX will use their parts in my CRD.
    Spoke with DCX this morning. Got some clarification from them.

According to DCX, the dealer will inspect the trans and TC. If no damage is found then they may or may not detune the engine but will reprogram the TCM.

I spoke to this performance trans place in Texas about this issue and they thought DCX's approach to the problem was back asswards. Their updated TC is only $450. They have a shift correction kit available for $45 from Transgo that I will ask the dealer to install.
  • nescosmonescosmo Posts: 453
    Winter2.. The code P0299 is The Boost Pressure Sensor(Pos. Deviation). The Boost Pressure is at the passenger side it has an small filter that look like a gas filter; There is a switch that control the turbo charger.
    you have to check:
    air filter
    air restriction
    check air leaks
    check the boots control vacuum supply
    boot pressure actuator and
    check turbo charger.
    The P0410 don't know that one.

Nescosmo.
    winter2: I called the dealer and they did not want to look at it first, they ordered the Kit yesterday and the Kit came in today and tomorrow they are putting it in, I get a rental that DCX pays for under my Max Care Warranty while it's in the shop. I was in hopes that DCX would pay for the filters, but only for the oil they say. The Dodge dealer doing this does lots and lots of Diesels in Dodges. I was not pleased when the Tec that did our service work left the Jeep dealer I was going to. I felt the other diesel Tec has a attitude that gets me, and I don't need to put up with petty stuff. Not only that but they wanted two days to do the reca;; and I felt someone was milken the system.

Farout
  • arvmanarvman Posts: 95
    Hey farout,I checked and mine needs the tranny work too.Problem is the truck is working great.We got about 10 inches of snow last week and it drove great in part time and fulltime.I'm almost scared to touch it if it's not broken but better go with the recall,at least it's still under warranty for a while.Got the oil change done this week and the tec and service guy are adamant on the 0w40.Checed the turbo hoses and they are clean.On a funny note the tec changed my air filter which i was supposed to pay for apparently, but the service guy closed the work order out too quick,he seeemed mifffed because the dealer had to pay $15.00 for it.I laughed loudly and said they make lots off of my warranty work and recalls I'm owed at least a free filter fo the aggravations,I also offered to trade my truck for any car on the lot,he didn't bite,heh heh heh.Guess I'll try to get this work done while I'm on holidays,I'll have tons of time to hang around and ask a ton of questions at the shop,happy holidays to all CRD'ers...
    Nescosmo,

Thanks for the information. I will look at this on Thursday, my next day off from work.

I went to the local dealer yesterday and they could not find out what the P0410 code was about. Rather strange. As to the P0299 code, the tech did stated that the K&N air filter could potentially be problematic but did not explain how or why.
  • nescosmonescosmo Posts: 453
    Farout... As i told you month back that ever since they did all those re flashes my CRD was driving like a car well i think that my CRD is already detuned i never had any trans problem; The shifting is smooth but when i go in to the expressway 2k rpm is not enough to put me in traffic i have to go close to 3k rpm to blend in; So i think that the TC replacement will not do any difference to my CRD. Maybe all of those 06's are detuned and they do not know.

Nescosmo.
    The F37 recall applies to all 2005 and 2006 CRDs.
  • I have a 2006 CRD and called DaimlerChrysler to complain about detuning my CRD. I stated I purchased the vehicle because of the 295 foot pounds of torque and no longer wanted the vehicle if that was going to change. In a nut shell, they told me too bad, I would have to live with it. They wouldn't be having these problems (in my case) if they offered a standard trans in place of the automatic. I love my CRD but I don't want to loose any performance. Maybe if we all started to call and complain about it, they may go back to the drawing board and come back with a better fix for it. Their number is 1-800-853-1403. Thanks for allowing me to rant and rave on this forum.
    Dale
    nescosmo: I had the F37 recall done yesterday. There is much better shiftine, especially when it goes into 5 OD at 50 mph. At 50 it's doing a hair above 50 mph. I notice no loss of Hp or Torque. The shifts are solid and firm. I am pleased so far. Hope this helps.

Farout
    hmartini1: I am sure you are worring about something that is so small you can't detect even the slightest difference in torque or HP. IFyou have lost any HP or Torque, it would be so small I doubt you could tell.
    I think you are making to much out of very little. I suggest you have the F37 done and IFyou can feel any lose of HP or torque then take on.

Farout
  • Thanks Farout,

I appreciate the info. I get mine done Monday.
    hmartini1: What state do you live in? By now there has to be someone who can work on these CRD's. I wish you well.

Farout
  • Hi Farout, Great to hear no notice of Torque or HP loss! Did you learn any details of what the repair consists of please? Also, did yours need the front pump replaced and what was approximate duration for repairs?

Any advice - like did you have filters or anything else that would be good to have replaced while they were in there? Do they cover any of that? Thanks for helping us all be smarter before we do the F37!

1 more F37 related - Occasionally I pull 6x12 enclosed trailer with the kids trail motorcycles in it. I turn OD off. Can you tell me what rpm I may be running at 60 with OD off after the F37? Thanks - In Michigan w/ 2005 that I have put 30K on so far with no engine problems. Thanks!!!
  • I live in sunny Las Vegas NV.
  • I'm not gonna worry about it until I get a recall notice or have a real problem I have to take it in for.
    I am having the F37 recall done on my CRD this coming Monday. I am going to try and speak with the technician(s) who do this to see exactly what they do, software wise.

Kind of funny though, the original dealer I was going to take the CRD to do this is not even aware that this recall exists so I had to find another dealer.
    winter2: I had mine done at the Dodge dealer. My Jeep dealer had the Tec I trusted, quit. I have gone to the Dodge dealer for several years before I got the Jeep. One day I called and asked if they could do warranty work on a Jeep. He said they can do everything but sell jeeps. So......That's what I did. So it is true some dealers ate not in tune to the world around them, that's the dealer to stay away from.

Farout
    Took my CRD to the dealer today for the recall and for the engine check light problem (came back on again after being off for two days). Should have it back by Wednesday.

Got further info on the PCM (engine) programming from the adviser. According to him the torque will curve will be flattened and widened. He had no info about the TC. As to the programming of the TCM, it is whatever DCX decides to give us. The shift quality cannot be modified unfortunately. RATS!!!
  • I just finished an unproductive call to the DC help desk. They were either unable or unwilling to provide me with any information regarding how much torque would be lost. I refuse to believe that a DCX engineer or a team wasn't involved in the determination of how much power needs to be removed to allow their transmission to survive. I too think that they are going about this thing backwards. Rather than gut the engine they should resolve their/our transmission problems.

I have a love/hate relationship with this car. I like the performance, but I have had it in for two recalls and an engine soft plug leak. My dealer continues to be superb----but I wonder who at DCX was in charge of this project. I have not had problems with the emissions system yet but I'm waiting. After purchase, I immediately installed a K&N filter and I have not used any bio-diesel------in spite of my strong desires to do so, and I wonder if that has been the difference.

The bottom line is that this is my last DCX product. My other car is an Acura---great performance---no problems---superb dealer support. I want to by American, but I'm having trouble with the quality of the product.
  • I totally agree. But I just had the F37 recall completed on my CRD yesterday where they did replace the TQ and reprogrammed the computer. I was suprised to find it did not lose any performance if anything it might have improved it slightly. Anyway I am happy with the work my dealer performed on it.