Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• hamm3rhamm3r Member Posts: 55
    Errr...
    When we took our test drive last night, my wife and I _did_ notice a lunging at a very low speed...we were still in the parking lot of the dealer.

It was a similar sensation to when you drive a manual transmission and you downshift prematurely from maybe 2nd to 1st gear.

We took the car out for maybe a 4 mile spin and did not notice any more lunging after that, and we did do a lot of stopping and starting and low speed driving. I did momentarily take the car to 70 and there was no lunging, but I did not sustain the speed. We still plan on buying the car when ours comes in.

I would imagine if a lunging problem does exist that it would be fixed in a recall. Or is that wishful thinking?

Regarding head room, I paid particular attention to it due to concerns posted in these forums. I am 6' tall and had ample headroom. I was more than happy. Legroom in both the front and back seats are more than enough, even with front seats in varying positions.

BTW, my test drive was in a fully loaded TCH (ie, had a moonroof)
  • bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    Time will tell regarding any lunging or anything of the type. I will pay special attention if I ever get a test drive!

The headroom issue seems a problem for thos in the 5'9-5'11" range. Taller drivers sit further back from the windshield, so they seem to be find. Shorter drivers, being, well, shorter, don't get that close to the ceiling anyway. I did find that if I pushed the seat back a bit farther than was comfortable, I felt more FORWARD head "space". I guess I just need to get some longer legs!
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I drove my TCH 285 local miles at 38+mpg with no problems. My wife yesterday drove on an interstate trip for 275 miles at 37+ mpg with no complaints.

Also I am 6'2" and 260 pounds and checked out the headroom and comfort since my TCH was to be a moonroof model. While it feels tight (I'm used to an Expedition and SUV's) I was quite comfortable. The telescopic function, 8 way power seats and long tavel on the seat allows a lot of comfortable arrangements.

For another poster, I don't consider the interior cheesy. It's in line with most 25-30K cars I've looked at. It is not the quality of my $50K Infinity that I traded, but I never expected it to be. I have not seen the inside of the ES350 up close yet and I would expect it at $7000 more to be of a better grade material. There is a lot you can do with that $7000 (real wood over plastic, sound deadening materials, etc) but I wanted the high milage hybrid which is not available in a topend model yet so the TCH suits me quite fine. I am very satisfied so far.
  • jlo_onejlo_one Member Posts: 12
    Well, I test drove a TCH and I noticed that the indicator said 25.6 mpg. I was surprised that it was so low. The demo had 600+ miles on it. I asked the salesman how to reset it so that I could see what we would get on the test drive, but he didn't know how to do it. When we got back from driving some 15 miles, the indicator read 25.7. I have asked the salesman to call me when he figures how to reset the indicator and I can be assured that the car will get over 35 mpg around town.

I noticed one post that said 38 and 37 mpg, that would be great!!

Does anyone know how to reset it?

thank you,
    jlo
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Hey how about a national speed limt of 55 mph and mark everyone's speedometer with a special desigantion at 55 mph.

Oh wait they did that and it didn't work.

Until there is a true mass transportation solution then we are just whistleing in the wind and the hybrids don't mean squat.

The US Car vendors and the governemtmnet are not really serious about solving the problem only to the extent that the current supposed gas price crisis will be glossed over and forgotten.

Wait until you get this year's energy bill, then maybe just maybe nulcear enenrgy will begin to make sense.

Yes , fuel costs are higher, but buying a hybrid to save money is still a JOKE.

If you want a true solution, then you need to identify the real problem,

Drive for fun and pleasure,

MidCow
    So, your solution is to do nothing until we have the national will to design and build a world-class mass transportation system? In other words, your solution is to do NOTHING. Well, it has worked so far.... :surprise:
  • willybillwillybill Member Posts: 83
    My dealer called me today to let me know that TCH #1 had arrived and I could see it in the showroom. It was a silver with cloth, moonroof, heated mirrors and 50 states emission.
    I am waiting for a fully loaded model to arrive. I did, however sit in the car and had ample headroom with the seat most of the way back. Not a ton of headroom but ample. I had the seat back most of the way, the steering wheel tilted slightly up and telescoped about halfway.
    I snapped some pictures of the TCH for your viewing pleasure. They are not the best because it is a camera phone.
    ">TCH Photos
    Hope they show up.
    :)
    It resets with the filling of the tank. I don't know if it's reset with an internal pressure switch or with a volume switch.

I'm guessing that the demo, if it had 600 miles on it probably has been filled up lately. Also, I assume that you don't have to fill up for the computer to reset (that is would a dealer constantly dumping $5 in a tank mess up the average).

Depending on the terrain around the dealer you might get a false impression of true milage. For example, when I fill up, I drive a lap around town on the battery and it shows 99.9mpg, then when I drive up the hill to my house I end up with about 43mpg. IF the dealer's lot was in an area where test drivers consistantly took short trips that required the engine on to pull out in front of traffic quickly or pull up a steep hill and then drive where you had very little opportunity to see high milage operation then a low mpg observation could be made. Other than that I'm not sure how this car could get so low of an average. When driving I see my gage anywhere from a 10 mpg level to 60+ mpg and have averaged about 38. It would be interesting to see what a regular 4c car would average with the same type of test drive.
    If it was a model with a navigational system, there is a (complicated) screen that shows current (last 30 minutes) information on fuel usage. I have not figured all this out yet as the nav instruction booklet is thick and this is my first experience with such a unit.
    I don't need a 55 limit. My TCH gets 37.5 at 70 mph. Besides when the limit was 55, no one drove 55. had they done so the program may have had some positive effects. However I for one thought it was stupid and refused to drive 55, still do.

True we need mass transportation. Unless we're willing to have an economy and taxes like France, I wouldn't expect to see an improvement on that. Then again France is like what, the size of Texas?

And true the government is not serious (because the people are not either) but how does buying a hybrid to save money relate to you as a joke.

I may not save the economy, but I'm sure doing my part for my personal economic status.

Here's the gloom and doom part. I expect to see long lines for gas as soon as we pull Iran's chain and the world lines up behind us or them. We might be able to win a war, but who has the oil?

My personal satisfaction with the hybrid (especially if we see $5gas) is that I can travel quite a distance (600+ miles)on trips without having to stop and fill up. My mom lives 125 miles away and I can make the trip to her house twice and still drive around some on one tank and do it at less than half the cost of what it cost me in my Infiniti.

I don't have any noble notion of saving the world, but your comment of Drive for Fun and Pleasure sounds a lot like Live for today and Hell will come when I die.

If you think Nuke's will solve the worlds problem let's see how it goes when Iran starts making it available to all their friends.
  • hardchemisthardchemist Member Posts: 61
    I like this part of the Road and Track article:
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0605_hybrids_data_panel.pdf
    Good point. It's a shame they don't have the Ford, power pedal system for short drivers.

Then again you could duct tape some wooden blocks on the pedals and back the seat up???? ;)
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Here's an eye-opener - going from 12 to 13 mpg is slightly better than going from 31 (!) to 38 mpg. That's why small improvements in low mpg vehicles have such major payoffs, and why getting 35 mpg instead of 40 mpg is not nearly as important as it first sounds.
    Amen! You're preaching to the choir.

Techies need not worry so much about the 1-2 mpg differences when they are already getting 35+mpg.

It's the 12mpg F150's and the 15 mpg SUV's mom's are driving that's eating up the bulk of the foreign oil we import.

However it is fun and challenging to see just how high you can go and to retain bragging rights. Especially if like me to get your TCH you gave up your 315hp FX and can no longer talk about the handling and the 20" wheels.
    bmgoodman,

You didn't read what I said "we need to define the problem".

Are you trying to save fuel?
    Is the fuel just the transportaion or total fuel consumption?

If the answer is total fuel, then nuclear power plant is the obvious answer.

If it is to save vehicle fuel then look at the gas wasters and unnecessary vehicles?

Impose an annual $3,000 extra tax on SUVs and I would be willing to bet their usage declines dramatically.

Get rid of all off-road only ATVs, recreation boats and other unneeded ICE machines.

Raise CAFE to 30 mpg; vehicles might not have all the weight or bells and whistles, but they wiould be fuel efficient. Include large trucks ( over gross weight 8,500) into CAFE requirments and natural evolution will weed out inefficiency.

Identify main fuel usage, such as commuting to work. Everyone now has Internet access, implement manadatory telecommuitng on 50% business employees.

The statement I make is that hybrids are not a solution at all, but merely the current token appeasement FAD and will have very little long term effect. Do you realize that it takes about 10 Priuses to offset the fuel inefficiency of just one Sequoia LOL.

Cheers,

MidCow

P.S.- ride a bicycle and mow your grass with a push mower.
  • hybridriverhybridriver Member Posts: 77
    Here's an eye-opener - going from 12 to 13 mpg is slightly better than going from 31 (!) to 38 mpg. That's why small improvements in low mpg vehicles have such major payoffs, and why getting 35 mpg instead of 40 mpg is not nearly as important as it first sounds.

May I suggest a remedial math course. The former represents an 8% improvement; the latter, 19%.
    The statement I make is that hybrids are not a solution at all, but merely the current token appeasement FAD and will have very little long term effect. Do you realize that it takes about 10 Priuses to offset the fuel inefficiency of just one Sequoia LOL.

I'm not sure why the debate has to be framed as "either/or". I'm for heavier taxes on gas guzzlers, higher CAFE, etc. BUT, to say that hybrids are an appeasement fad seems pretty silly. To me, they represent intelligent evolution and the quest for higher efficiency, and to purchase a hybrid is to vote YES with one's dollars on those concepts. Meanwhile, I'm also for continued research and development on any and all alternative engine technologies. It's inevitable that current fuel consumption levels are unsustainable. Too bad the American consumer usually waits until economic reality hits them in the head instead of being pro-active beforehand.

Donning my flame jacket now..... :)
    math speaks, apparently your new math is incorrect

12 to 13 mpg is 1/12 gain or 8.3 percent gain

31 to 38 mpg is 7/31 gain or 22.5 percent gain

35 to 40 mpg is 5/35 gain or 14.3 percent gain.

Loook at it a different way assume you drive 15,000 miles per year and gas costs $3.00 per gallon

15000/12 = 1,250 gallons = $3,750
    15000/13 = 1,153.8 gallons = $3,461.5
    ==========================\

15000/31 = 483.9 gallons = $1,451.6
    15000/38 = 394.7 gallons = $1,184.3
    =========================

15000/35 = 428.6 gallons = $1,285.7
    15000/40 = 375 gallons = $1,125
    ========================

You are not naively taking about total gallons are you ?

Oh my my my . Let's all change to the 13 mpg gallon trucks and save the world.

Why it makes an interesting confoundrum, it is looking at the wrong figures. It is like the story of the Hotel that charged 30$ per room per night.

Three men walk into a hotel looking for a room. The receptionist tells them that there is only one room, and that it cost $30. They pay $10 each, and head to their room for the night.
    Later, the receptionist realizes that he over charged them by $5, so he gives the money to the bellhop instructing him to return it to the 3 men.
    The bell hop, on his way to the room, realizes that there is no way to split the bill 3 ways, puts $2 in his pocket and doesn't tell the men about it, rationalizing that he is doing them a favor.

Now, here's the riddle. After getting their money back, each of the men has spent $9, totaling $27 spent for the room. The bellhop put $2 in his pocket to bring the total to $29. What happened to the last dollar?

This is the truck likecsaying the truck that goes for 12 to 13 mpg is better.

LOL

MidCow
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Your points are correct. In addition short trips kill FE for all vehicles. A series of 5 min demo trips are horrible for overall fuel economy.

The fuel consumption screen is very very useful. It's like a biofeedback device.
  • houtex1houtex1 Member Posts: 82
    Any idea when I can expect to see these in Texas. Has anyone in TX gotten their hands on one? I know the dealers seem to know what the first allotment is, but I'm not sure if that first allotment has made it to any dealers. Also, When is the 2nd allotment?

If you search the Toyota site inventory in the SE region of the US, there seems to be plenty of Hybrids available. These have been in there for a week or two.
    No such thing shows up searching Houston inventory.

Just wondering.

Now, here's the riddle. After getting their money back, each of the men has spent $9, totaling $27 spent for the room. The bellhop put $2 in his pocket to bring the total to $29. What happened to the last dollar?

I think my dad told me this when I was a kid. Fooled me for a while, until I realized that the $2 the bellhop pocketed was part of the $27 they spent. The $3 they got back adds up to $30. So, I guess they could all chip in and buy (almost) a gallon of gas (in CA)... :)
    Climbing on soapbox....:

Good points MidCow about truly looking at fuel economy as a matter of fuel usage. Rather than quote imprecise guesestimates of what MPG each of us attains. Let's just use a figure of what fuel we use for each vehicle. It's readily available for each of us.

We buy 'x' amount of gas at a pump. We have driven 'y' number of miles since the last refueling.

As R&T suggests in their recent hybrid comparo let's just use GPC ( Gallons per 100 miles driven ).

Pump 15 gallons after having driven 430 miles and your fuel consumption is 3.5 GPC or for every 100 mi you drive you use 3.5 gal. Concentrate on the fuel you use rather than the game of 'I can go farther than..... on a gallon of fuel'.

Examples:
    Our ICE 4WD Highlander uses 5.0 GPC
    Our MR2 uses 3.3 GPC
    Our Prius uses 2.0 GPC

My previous four 4c Camry's used about 3.1 GPC

With this method it's also easier to calculate the cost of driving a certain distance such as 15000 miles annually.
    15000 annual driving is 150 x [your] GPC
    20000 annual driving is 200 x [your] GPC

A 1000 mile vacation trip is 10 x [your] GPC.

What is [your} GPC now?

Exiting soapbox.....
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    MPG is fuel usage!!

It is no more imprecise than the GPC calculation.
    True the fractions are recipricals, it's just a different emphasis. In the latter case it clearly states how much you are using to get where you are going. The traditional method is imprecise in that regard.

All the discussions hereafter would be based on yours and my personal fuel usage. An owner would be more likely to take responsiibility for what is used on a daily, annual or vehicle lifespan basis.
    No, they are not recipricals(sp) or true reciprocals.

The traditional method is not imprecise in that regard.

One is multiplied by the miles/100 to get usage and with the other, the miles are divided by mpg to give the usage.
  • engineer3engineer3 Member Posts: 1
    "If you search the Toyota site inventory in the SE region of the US, there seems to be plenty of Hybrids available. These have been in there for a week or two. "

How are you seaching the Toyota site inventory?? I would love to be able to do that myself. I have asked some local dealers to do this for me but they haven't been very helpful.
    As usual you and I will agree on nothing but your comments are noted.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    True the fractions are recipricals, it's just a different emphasis. In the latter case it clearly states how much you are using to get where you are going.

That does not make any sense. Wonder if I am going 120 miles? I think the MPG that we have used for many years is favorable to the EU way of doing things. I doubt the EPA will change to Liters or gallons per 100 miles. It just adds to the confusion. We should demand they do it our way in the EU or ELSE!!!
  • stj4stj4 Member Posts: 27
    Hello,

Can anyone who got a camry hybrid or prius post how many keys you got? I got my TCH today, and got only 2 keys. The salesman said another set of key will be coming, but the manager said he did not think so. I am looking for any help in this regard.

I bought it from one of the car chainstores in kenosha, WI (owned by circuit city). Apparently this is their first TCH. Car arrived last saturday. Thesalesman called me and said the 'prep time" will be 3-4 days, and I can only pick up the car wednesday. Till tuesday I hear nothing more. I call the dealership tuesday evening to make sure things are on track for wednesday. At that time I was told they could not sell the car now because of some computer glitches associated with a new model car, and it may take a few days for their corporate office to work it out. I was to be called today morning, but no calls. Then I called, I was told tey will call me back. Finally around 1.00, the call came that the car is ready for pickup.

My salesman initially when I booked the car was not very prompt on returning my calls. after a few of these, I requested my salesman to be changed, and since then his communication skills suddenly improved. I do give him credit for being honest with me whenever we talked, and also getting me the first car the dealership got, even before a salesman in their store who wanted to buy the first TCH coming in. (he then had to settle for the 2nd car)

The funniest thing happened when I went to pick up the car. There were several salespeople standing around when I walked in. I told them I am here about the TCH. One of the salesman, who recognised me from the time I went to put the deposit, very politely informed that the first TCH will come to the dealers only in September. I loved the look on his face when I told him my TCH is there ready for pickup.

BTW.. Love the car. Feels heavy car to drive. Kind of like a cadillac. Kids love it. Averaged 42 MPG on the 45 mile trip back from the dealership. It is really cool that the engine shuts off.

Only 3 gripes: 1. Sound system is average to below average. On the 2001 camry with base radio, I had just changed 2 rear speakers, and got pretty accurate sound. This camry with their premium sound, is disappointing in sound quality. Feels like the sound is coming from a 75 dollar 3 CD changer shelf system.

2. The sun visor does not have a pull out extension (for those who know what I am talking about). My old camry had that feature which I found extremely useful when the sun hits my face between the door pillar.

3. The cloth like material which covers the sidepanelings, and the roof seem like it will wear out pretty fast on the driver side door where I put my left elbow when driving.

More to come if there is interest from the forum
  • zewszews Member Posts: 6
    If you don't mind, how much did you pay over/under MSRP?
  • zewszews Member Posts: 6
    Go to Toyota website, select Camry, build your own, and enter zip code. They'll show you models that match your choices for your area, which I'm inferring includes Texas in the Southeast. What you can't see is what dealer is getting what, and they don't seem to be trading with each other just yet, probably to be expected given it's their first deliveries.
  • stj4stj4 Member Posts: 27
    paid msrp.
    If it's like the Prius then there are only 2 'fobs'. I haven't yet read a manual but it's in there in the beginning of the book.
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    I did not get to test drive the hybrids in my area. Nobody has them. The 4 that were at the dealership, including the color/package I wanted, sold over the weekend. Some more are coming in next week and the weeks to come. I put my name on a list, and there were not that many on the list at that dealership.

The prices are MSRP. Some are charging more because they are putting in the wood dash and steering wheel, and other stuff.
  • hamm3rhamm3r Member Posts: 55
    "Go to Toyota website, select Camry, build your own, and enter zip code. They'll show you models that match your choices for your area"

I try this every time I see someone post that you can do it, and for the life of me, I have no idea what y'all are talking about.

I'm sure you are right, but I still have no idea what you are talking about :)

At exactly what point do I get to see this inventory? I have built a Camry Hybrid in several zip codes, and all I get to do at the end is "Request a Quote". I never see an inventory...not at the end...and not along the way.

Please set me straight!

1. http://www.toyota.com
    2. Point to "Cars"
    3. Select Camry
    4. Click on "Build and Price Your Camry"
    5. Enter Zip Code
    6. Get the step-by-step configurator
    a. Hybrid 4 Cylinder CVT (click "Next")
    b. Option Combination #A $0 (click "Next")
    c. Select exterior and interior colors (click "Next")
    d. Select accessories (click "Next)
    e. See a screen with pricing with the following options to choose from: (Request a Quote on this Model, Contact Your Local Dealer, Apply for Credit, Print this Page, Create eBrochure, Email eBrochure).

No inventories...so what's the secret?
    toyota.com
    Locate a dealer
    enter zip :33172
    Pick Express Toyota (1st on list)
    Click "Continue" in popup window
    Resize popup window if you need to
    Click on "New Toyotas"->Inventory search
    click camry
    click camry hybrid.
    It will show they have one allocated to them. To the right you will see there are 267 total. Click on 267
    Now 2 show up for Express Toyota. On top there are 265 more. Click on 265 and you are in business.
    Very interesting! Looks like the entire southeast region has 265 TCHs total through the end of May. Wow, that's not many. Did you notice they're ALL showing up as being available from Expressway Toyota? LOL.

Wonder how I can find similar info for mid-atlantic? I tried 2 dealers nearby but they don't even have drop-down boxes for TCH yet!
    I think available just means that it is in their region and therefore they can have access to it as long as whoever it is allocated to agrees. When it's actually on their lot they use a different terminology.
    Should have used a ;)

I really didn't think that ALL the units went to the one dealership!!
    I'm assumming this is just their first allocation, so 267 doesn't seem too bad. I'm not sure how many states/dealerships the SE covers though. From what I've heard most dealerships are just getting one car in the first shipment.
    The 'inventory' feature and the build/price your Toyota are all regional software packages. The Inventory feature especially is just for SET. AFAIK the other Toyota regions don't have this option.

Each region monitors its own software package and controls the input and options. Toyota the manufacturing company has nothing to do with any of this. It's all controlled on the local level by the individual regions
    CAT, SET, GST, etc.
    Actually, 267 for an entire MONTH for an entire REGION? Seems pretty low to me if they want to sell 40,000 this year. I hope the flood gates open soon!
    Here is how the numbers work out.

Until 4th Qtr all the hybrids will come from Japan at the rate of about 4000/mo.

The local regions/stores get new allocations every 15 days or so, thus about 2000 vehicles every 15 days.

There are about 1700 stores in the US. Each store should get about 1 every two weeks.

The mega stores like Longo and others will get the lions share as usual. Longo is 5-10 times larger than any average store.... Longo gets 10 every two weeks where most other stores get one. Some will get none.

2nd tier volume stores get vehicles according to their past sales... say 2-3 every 15 days but this also means that additional stores get none.

3rd tier volume stores may get one every 15 days.

4th tier or lower volume stores may get one every other month or one per quarter or none at all.

This is why when you might visit several stores you will get widely divergent answers to 'When will you have a hybrid Camry'. If it's one every other month it is the least important vehicle in their incoming inventory. It's going to sell itself so why put any effort into selling it.

Of course that's a vicious circle because if you put no effort into it then you don't earn any additional vehicles.
  • makievmakiev Member Posts: 7
    I live in So. Cali, went to 4 dealers none of them have TCH. And the sales people are telling me they've been marked 5 grand above msrp and people are still on waiting lists to buy them. Crazy man...My friend who is a sales person at Toyota is getting me a TCH fully loaded for about 31K out the door.
  • shuaipangzishuaipangzi Member Posts: 1
    I don't think that tax is included in that price. I work at a Toyota Dealership and the ones we have gotten sticker for $31,000. I think you are full of it.
  • makievmakiev Member Posts: 7
    Yeah I asked him again it's 33K with tax and registration. Sorry for the mistake.
    Can a consumer find out what tier a specific dealer is in?
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Cause we don't have that out here in CA. I can do a build price, bur no inventory. Those steps direct me to dealerships, which may/may not have their online inventory.

The ones coming to CA are priced at $30,589 (B Package) and $26,609 (Package A). So, assuming about a 10% add on for sales taxes (varies from county to county), registration, tire fee ($8.75), and $45 doc fee, you are looking at about $33,500 OTD. This assumes no added dealer mark-up. I have found only one dealer here in N. California adding a mark up out of five dealers. Your friend does not appear to be getting any discount, if at all.
  • lawguy661lawguy661 Member Posts: 17
    My TCH came with only two key fobs. I don't believe you will get anymore.
  • lawguy661lawguy661 Member Posts: 17
    So, I have had my TCH for about two weeks, and I have about 100 miles remaining on my first tank of gas. I thought it was time give a bit of a mileage update.

Now, as a disclosure, I am a rather "spirited driver." I don't necessarily floor it at every signal, but I usually accelerate quicker than the vehicle next to me. However, and I am surprised by this, the challenge of getting better FE has forced me to slowly change my driving habits (for the better). Also, so far I would say that 80% of my time behind the wheel of the TCH has been short commutes, of less than 10 miles.

So, taking the above into consideration, so far I am averaging just over 32 mpg. Now, some of you may be shocked by the low number, but please believe me when I say I am extremely happy with this FE. My previous vehicle, a 2003 Passat W8 (a known gas-guzzler that I bought because I thought the engine idea was interesting), averaged around 12 mpg in city condition (note - I only mention this for comparison sake given my personal driving style). A nearly three times increase in mpg is fine by me.
    Indicated mpg is not reality.