Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

General Motors discussions

Comments

• sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    Then it might actually be a decent car. I hope that the wagon version will be included. A six speed automatic would be nice, but Holden seems quite slow in getting this transmission.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Pontiac G8 BMW 3&5 killer

LS-2, 6 speed manuel and auto, over 400hp, cylinder deactivation, freshened GTO interior, 0-60 in under 5, is all I know so far.

Rocky
    If GM does it right with good "fit and finish" then GM just might have it's alternative BMW. I guess it being made in Australia is better than no car at all. The GTO still has 65% NA content :cry:

Rocky
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I'm really surprised to hear that the GTO has 65% N.A. content. It was in production in Australia long before anyone even considered bringing it over here, and shipping supplies from here to there doesn't sound like a smart idea. Now that I think about it, I don't believe that 65% number at all!

But I do like Australia. Who doesn't? (Funny that they've been building American-style cars long after we stopped doing so, to the point that RWD V8 is more Australian than American.)
  • igor2igor2 Member Posts: 148
    this sounds like awesome car.. but i soooooootrongly believe Chevy as the bread and butter brand really needs something new.. do you know what they have planned?

i.
    Hold on I'll prove it to you !!!! :P

Rocky
    yup.. in the Ford world,, we are all tryingto convince ford to bring over the Ford Falcon.. an excellent RWD platform, including a Ranchero type pickup... it doen;t look too hot, but that can be taken care off easily.. the underpinnigs are amazingly hot though...

Igor
    Damn. I can't find a website that has NA content. I even checked the window stickers on are local dealerships website. My only proff will be you taking a drive to your local pontiac dealership that has a GTO and you will see the sticker say 65% North American Content. It seriously suprised me too. The Mustang has the exact same amount which also suprised me. If anyone can help me out with this I'd appreciate it.
    (any in the closet GM car salesman) on here today. :P

Rocky
    According to Motor Trend Quote: "Expect the Camaro about the turn of the decade, along with a rear-drive, four-door Impala that makes the buisness case as the volume leader for the platform".

So they are saying the Next Generation Impala will be built on the Camaro platform. ;)

Rocky
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    One would expect that the Grand Prix and LaCrosse to either get dumped, or also become RWD sedans.

I have read the new LaCrosse will be on a larger Epsilon architecture.
    but Chevy needs mainstream cars.. the malibu is long forgotten. .the Cobalt is selling well but I realy wonder what percentage goes to fleets. The Aveo seem to be dying...

Chevy has worse image than Kia 10 years ago... producing ONE hot car (Impala) and then mammoths of trucks wil not change the image anytime soon.. the SUV market is on the fall, and their best attempt as midsize Crossover is hte new Buick ugliness.

The Equinox is the only good looking and well designed thing I have seen come out with a bowtie since .... Aveo.. (I like Aveo).. Chevy needs mainstream appeal which is sorely lacks...

I always wonder why doesn't Chevy have a version of the G6? That would look equally good, and have a Sedan and Coupe version? Chevy cannot be serious about continuing to try to compete with all the new midsized with the ugly and old Malibu..

Igor
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    My only proff will be you taking a drive to your local pontiac dealership that has a GTO and you will see the sticker say 65% North American Content.

That North American content is mostly the engine and tranny, because HSV doesn't do enough volume to make it worth Holden's while to build its own LS2s.
    I always wonder why doesn't Chevy have a version of the G6?

The Malibu IS Chevy's version of the G6 (well, other way around actually). GM really missed the boat by not upgrading the Malibu to the longer G6 wheelbase as part of the facelift. It still would have been an underwhelming fleet special, but at least it could have seated full-size adults in the back in some modest comfort.
    I'm glad they don't have a G6 chevy. They would get slammed for badge engineering !

Rocky
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    It still would have been an underwhelming fleet special, but at least it could have seated full-size adults in the back in some modest comfort.

I dunno about that, Bumpy. As it is, I don't find the G6 to be any roomier in the back seat than the Malibu, despite the extra 6" or whatever in wheelbase. If anything, I find it disappointing that something on a wheelbase this long would be as space-inefficient as it is!

The longer wheelbase might give it a better ride, though.
  • kodenamekodename Member Posts: 141
    To the poster who feels the Cobalt is a step above the Cavalier, I have to say that both vehicles are cheapo rides that satisfy the low end-low quality-low expectations portion of the consumer market. Slapping a "SS" badge on one don't change its DNA either. The smart thing to do would be to put that same amount of money into a used Honda.Better built,better resale. The Cobalt is a clump of dirt, low quality dirt, same as the Cavalier.
    Yeah, yeah, lets hear it for the mighty Soltice! If that's your GM savior, then they'll need to sell about 350K of the little devils each year ....ain't going to happen! The Soltice is still basking in the glow of the auto press write-ups that were fed by the GM press division. I'd say , with GM's track record it would be wise to wait 5 years and see just how good/not good the Soltice really is. I parked next to an all white G6/V6 yesterday, ...what a uninspiring body style! IT looked like a set of Taurus tail lamps stuck to a slab-sided kit car from the late 70's. This is going bring me into the showroom and get me to sign up for a 4 to 6 year loan?? Bill C.
    What is so aspiring about the elcheapo Civic ???? Whoopy it has a Navigation. It takes you forever to rev it to get to the power and it goes 0-60 in 7.0 seconds. The Colbalt will smoke the Civic in a road course and has a much better interior. The G6 has alot more inspirational styling than the bland camcords. Not to mention the G6 will out perform both and costs alot less.

Rocky
    The Malibu cabin is notably more upright than the swoopy thing on the G6, thus you could sit up straight and not have to scrunch up on the front of the seat to keep from cracking your head on the rear window. Of course, you would probably need to rent some Hyundai engineers to design a roomy rear seat to actually utilize that extra space.
    The point about cobalt is that it might have a great engine, but the engine is in a crappy car..

I like the Astra, but I will not buy a Cobalt.. The Civic interior might not APPEAL to everyone, because of its design, but rest assured it is VERY WELL DESIGNED AND BUILT.. people are willing to squint at a quirky design, if they believe it is well built. I will not get fold by OK looking interior in the Cobalt.. it was still built like crap.

I agree with the engine comment, but the truth it, I would rather have the 1.8Vtec and the 2.2 or 2.4 ecotec..I jsut do not trust in the GM Euro adaptions especially at a car that was designed in europe to sell at equivalent of 15k base and is selling for 11k...I wonder where were the costs cut...

Like the current Focus, the Cobalt is a sorely outdated car.. the saddest thing is that Ford saved money by not redesining the focus fully.. GM instead spent all the R&D money to produce an all new Cobalt just to find out it barely matched the 5 year old Focus... (BTW the Focus is up for a MAJOR redesign next year and complete overhaul in 2010/11)

Igor
    My Stepfather is my height 6'0 and has no problem getting in the back seat of my moms G6 coupe.

Rocky
    With Kirk Kerkorian now apparently able to push some of his will on GM management(still denined by Waggoner) The actions we will all read about prior to this spring will tell the tail of wheather or not this once industrial leader will be able to hang around as a serious builder of a wide range of vehicles ,or if it will slip into some kind of a niche market player,which it is close to becoming already. Kerkorians plan, what ever his intentions
    (break up,bankrupcy,or return to glory)GM had better show some real,solid improvement. I don't see Kerkorian willing to wait 10 years,5, or even 3. Bill C.
    I agree the Cobalt isn't the perfect Civic slayer. I however think it's a nice enough alternative to be a player. I like the Recaro Leather seats and the way the dash is laid out. The rear has corvette inspirational design cues. The hood could use a ram-air induction to add some flavor to the overall good design. ;)

Rocky
    Rockylee, your 0 to 60 spec's are not enough to put me into a Cobalt. There's always something faster,there's always something that stops better, or goes thru the salom faster. If you buy a vehicle strickly on spec's you'll go crazy, and you'll never own the best cars. The Vanilla G6 I saw yesterday was bland-bland-bland. Since your "spec's" are so important, I'd assume there are lots of better cars spec-wise than a G6? That leaves styling as a important feature. The G6 for a new style,new name Pontiac it's pretty much a also ran with deep rental car DNA visable from every angle. When I see one I just assume it's a salesmans car/company car/rental car,or a GM employee purchase. Why buy one? Bill C.
    "The rear has corvette inspirational design cues".

SAY WHAT!

Ahhhh, Somebody needs to see an optologist!
    Rocky, buy the ricaro seats and put them in a old AMC Pacer :P Bill C.
    The rear has corvette inspirational design cues.

There's a lot more Skyline than Corvette in those tails, but I'll save that for another time.

The hood could use a ram-air induction to add some flavor to the overall good design.

How do you propose implementing ram-air induction on a transverse-mounted supercharged 4-banger?
    Bill,

I can see why some folks dislike the G6. I just hope there isn't many folks like you that don't. I personally won't buy one, but yes I do think they are nice cars.

Rocky
    I'm not a engineer or a aftermarket guy. Perhaps it could be done, perhaps not ?

Rocky
    Hey Bill, :shades: even Stevie Wonder can see the Corvette design cues. Don't you remember GM talking about them in the commercial where the Cobalt and the Corvette were bouncing the ball back n' forth ????

Rocky

P.S. I don't even know what a AMC Pacer is. Is that a car Reggie Miller drove ? :surprise:
    yeah and tehe 2005 American Focus has beautiful clues from Ford Fivehundred... it didn't do it any good did it?
    Neither does the "look it should lok like Corvette" on the Cobalt..

especially the 2door looks butt ugly because Chevy failed to make it look better than the Cavalier... I do not blame Chevy. it is hard to come up from SUCH a huge lag.. but I think we should stop pretending that that Cobalt is an amazing little car that no on appreciates..

its styling is cheesy at best,
    its wheelgap rivals that of the corolla,
    its interior is mediocre at best
    its engines are OK,
    fuel economy OK
    suspension OK
    outomatic transmission 5 year behind.
    reliability perception none
    reliability record OK
    marketing support laughable...

not everything is the car's fault, but it is simply not a great car.. Like the Focus or Spectra it isa good car for the price iont of $11k.. but if you sell a compact car at $11k you know you are in trouble and your car is not good enough.

Chevy failed to even match up the market average. Right now mazda3 and the Civic are several year ahead of everyone else. The Corolla is laughable car that people buy, just because it is a Toyota... except for a little better build quality and reputation, that car should be down below with Cobalt, Spectra and Focus...

really to me the saddest thing is that THIS IS A BRAND NEW CAR... Corolla can claim that it is due for a redesign.. Kia is Kia, still learning..Ford, well right now is no better than GM, but it IS 5 years old car....
    GM had an very respectable car in europe and they butchered it. That is all..

Igor
    Hey Rocky-
    You Don't know what a AMC Pacer is?? Rocky, are you shaving yet? :)
    I like the Stevie Wonder reference. touche' :blush:
    I take it you ACTUALLY believe what is said in TV commercials? Word up--the baldness cures never work, and the pay-day loans are a bad idea too.Bill C.
  • martianmartian Member Posts: 220
    From the back, anyway. It poits out what is wrong with GM-they make something "almost right", but not all the way..why is this? They make great concept cars-why don't they put them into production? :mad:
    The perfect Pontiac Grand Prix would be a exact carbon copy of the Acura TL w/ Navi and Voice Recognition and 6 speed manuel. ;)

Rocky
    The G8 could become the best mid size sport/lux sedan the world has ever known if done right.

The Perfect G8 by your very own-Rocky

-LS-2 V-8 with cylinder deactivation needs a bump from 400 to 450-500 horsepower to out gun anything in it path. Perhaps a Turbo or 2 would do the trick. No supercharging !!!!!

-6 speed manuel and AT F-1 paddle shifter manumatic

-Voice Recognition that operates the Navigation, Audio, Climate, among other functions.

-Heated and Air Conditioned(Ventilated Sport Seats) with 14 way control and w/ pwr lumbar, massage, and memory of course.

-14+ speaker DVD 7.1 surround sound system with a 10-12 inch sub. "ear drum shattering"

-latest stability and safety equip with swivel headlamps. the stability/traction control can be defeated via switch.

-Trim would be aluminum and chrome with real wood as a option.

-18-20 inch chrome rims and ZR tires.

-Exterior chrome door handles, window sill trim, grill.

-PWR moonroof

I'd take the gadgets from the Acura TL and Lexus IS 350 and GS and massage them into the G8. The BMW handling benchmark would be surpassed, because that's the main target were after.

* It's ok to clap now* :P

Rocky
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    Leather seats can be very grippy in a sporty car. My VW GTI has leather sport seats that do a very fine job in keeping me in place when I go through the twisties.

It's all a matter of how the seats are designed.
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    Slapping a "SS" badge on one don't change its DNA either.

Amen brother.

I FINALLY saw a G6 coupe yesterday, black To me, from a side profile, the vehicle doesn't look well proportioned. It reminds me too much of a Solara, particularly the convert (from pictures). Will have to take a closer look now that the coupes have hit the streets here. But as it stands, I really am not a big fan of the car, coupe or sedan. Also I read that GM is slowing down production on the car as the inventory is getting a little too high for comfort - not a good sign.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    Nice specs...

...but if it looks like a warmed over Cavalier (hint - hint - GTO), it won't sell - even with the amazing specs.

Same goes if the interior looks like it was designed and built by retarded pre-schoolers (i.e. - stereotypical GM interior design)
    270 hp. GXP version should help speed things up again this fall. The hardtop convertible doesn't come with a stick either. I was dissapointed in finding that fact a few months ago.

Rocky
    That's interesting. From my views of a coupe yesterday it looked like anyone over the age of 12 or over 5'-5" would put up a little fight back there. Will definitely have to get inside one.

Rocky,

Did your stepdad spend a lot of time in that back seat, and if so, did he have to visit a chiropractor afterwards?
    I'm not sure what exactly it's going to look like. The G8 photo I saw some months back had a GTO front end. However since the GTO is dead perhaps it will change some ????

-Regardless I'm excited about the potential of this car. I just hope GM does it right and in top level trim offers Acura/Lexus comfort gadgets this Gen. X-er wants. Otherwise it will be a disappointment in my eyes. ;)

Rocky
    He went up to the store with my mom. It wasn't exactly Buick Lucerne roomy but he said it was ok for short trips around town if he ever gets back there again.

Step day is kinda skinny so the squeeze wouldn't be a tight for him as it would be for me. The Coupe GTP that my mom has isn't a 4 adult car. It's more for 2 kids in the back and 2 adults in the front.

Rocky
    Sorry Rock, have to agree with BillC and bumpy, I don't see the Corvette in the Cobalt. If you're going by the taillights, that's stretching it a bit. And if that's the case, then the Cobalt takes after the Bel Air, Biscayne and the like of the 61 - 65 era, as they had two taillights on each side. I think more Cavalier than anything else in terms of the taillights, but agree the car seems to be a step-up from the Cav.

And if you're talking that commercial where the Cobalt is bumping the Corvette in the rear, then the Corvette does a great 180-degree burn-out, and revs it's engine at the 'balt:

1. That commercial was a joke
    2. A very loooooooooong stretch indeed
    3. I've only seen it twice, first during a GM promo and second on Speed the next day
    4. You're kidding right? :confuse:

Saw a commercial where there are Cobalts of different flavors bouncing a ball throughout the streets. But a Cobalt and Corvette bouncing a ball back and forth, haven't seen that one.
    OK,

Again, will have to get in one to really see/check the fit. How's the fit/finish, panel gaps, plastic in there? Seem like it will hold up over the long haul?
    The G8 has a nice fit and finish and is light years ahead of the Grand-Am which it replaced. The plastics are of much higher quality than Grand-Am and the panel gaps are significantly tighter and yes I believe the car will go 250K+ if well maintained. Hell most cars made today will make the quarter million mark if they are taken care of.
    The 3.9 H.O. so far has been fuel efficient for my mom and trouble free so far. She got it in September and had the only Blue GTP coupe in Grand Rapids for a long time.

Rocky
    jae5, BillC, we can agree to disagree. Ya'll make your points and I can see why. I guess I can see more vette styling cues than you both. regardless you both don't like the car and that's fine. GM isn't going to make the best car for everyone.

Rocky
    http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow/articles/101518/page014.html

The Twin Turbo "High Feature" 3.6 V-6 has been certified to get as much as 450 hp. in a Grand National GNX expierment. ;)

Rocky

P.S. My opinion it's the best designed car GM has ever engineered. :blush:
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Yeah, I think it'd be great if the built it.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Rocky, Pontiac touted the G6 was going to have 300hp out of the gate and optional AWD mated to a six speeder. Coupe/Vert and sedan right out of the gate as well.

We got a 200hp sedan ONLY bodystyle with an outdated 4-spd Auto ONLY for 2005 a coupe in the winter of 2005 and a convertible for 2006. All of them 4-spd ONLY unless you want to pay through the nose for a 27k GTP Sedan/Coupe with all the toys to get the sloppy 6-speeder... . The G6 is THE single-most disappointing disaster in the 2005 GM lineup. The interior is nothing but typical GM, cheap, chintzy, and can be taken apart by a 2 year old IMO. They overpriced it by a mile right out of the gate, and now you see the drastic markdowns and red flag sales to move the metal at a less retarded asking price. 05' G6's go for about 12 grand on the lots around here. Hate to be the guy who got shafted paying 25k when they first came out...

At the moment it signifies that GM is still living in la-la-land as far as designing a decent midsize goes. Wanna see why GM is still struggling, why they are losing market share in the midsize sedan arena?

Look at a G6. Period. :mad:
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    Right now mazda3 and the Civic are several year ahead of everyone else. The Corolla is laughable car that people buy, just because it is a Toyota...
    Name the only non-hybrid that gets over 40mpg?
    clue: it is not the re-designed Civic; Mazda3 is lightyears behind when it comes to fuel economy.
    Some people are laughable just because of their sheer ingnorance :P
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    BTW, my point was don't believe everything you read. We'll see if this Velite delivers...

I'll put money on it that the base Velite will have a 3.9. Optional upgrade will probably be a N/A 3.6.

Twin Turbo's? doubt it.
    Rocky, Pontiac touted the G6 was going to have 300hp out of the gate and optional AWD mated to a six speeder. Coupe/Vert and sedan right out of the gate as well.

I'll take your word for it. I never seen those type of numbers and I followed the car all the way into production.

Yes the 4 speed is ill and needs a 6 speed auto ASAP.

The car is doing pretty well and has won a few awards. I personally like the car and the interior isn't quite as bad as you make it out to be. Perhaps not as nice as the Camcords but still competitive.

Rocky
This discussion has been closed.