Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lost? Ask a Host for Help!

Comments

• Options
    rteaguerteague Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 chevy cheyenne 2500 350cu auto transmission 3 speed/overdrive.Having an issue with tranny shifting. when it doesn't shift into second I pull over shut it off for a minute or so and start it back up its ok then.Cold starts or warm ups no different when it happens.Had shift solenoids(2) change out. Still doing it.Not all the time. Some days 1-5 times then weeks of being ok.Had filter and fluid changed at the same time with solenoids.I would think this is electrical because it runs good otherwise.Can or has anyone had this type of problem help me with this? I'm retired and don't want to get shafted by a transmission shop saying I need a rebuild if its some sensor or something.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There's a new discussion in Chevy Suburban Transmission Problems where you could post your question and you should check out Chevy Suburban Maintenance and Repair.

tidester, host
  • Options
    jan15jan15 Member Posts: 1
    We recently took our 98 Subaru Outback (4 cyl.) to the dealer to repair 2 leaks--coolant and an oil leak at valve cover gaskets. After a few days, we were advised that the pulley that runs the timing belt was frozen and could not be removed, and, that our only option is to replace the engine with a rebuilt engine (which comes from Japan, has 50,000 miles on it and is simply put in without any sort of "rebuilding") because the car is not operable as is. We accept that the private mechanic who replaced the timing belt at 90,000 when the water pump needed to be replaced, didn't tighten it properly, leading to the current damage. The car was driving just fine when we took it in, just leaking fluids. We are faced with $4000 for this repair (the blue book value is about $5000 or so). We are really at a loss as to what to do. I am inclined to try to find a private Subaru mechanic and have it towed for another opinion. Any advice out there for me?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'd ask the Crew for advice in the Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons - Problems & Solutions discussion.
  • Options
    xdexde Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring with the model emblem on the left rear tailgate, other years have the emblem on the right, what determines which side It can't be odd /even years, a friend has a 1999 with emblem on right side. Honda engineers would never go for random positioning.
  • Options
    That sounds like a great trivia question for Honda Odyssey Owners-Meet the Members.
  • Options
    razincainrazincain Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1997 Catera. I have read many post in this forum of unhappy owners. I guess I have just been lucky. I love mine. I have about 45,000 miles on the car and have not had any mechanical problems. But that may be changing. My left side heater is not working. It is blowing cold air no matter if the thermostat is on 90. The right is working fine. Anybody have any idea of what might be wrong? Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The place you want to post this question would be in the Cadillac Catera: Maintenance & Repair discussion.
  • Options
    nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    Hello,
    Im about to go to my Hyundai dealer and discuss the possibility of trading in my 2005 Elantra for the new
    2007 Elantra.
    Should I negoiate the price of the new car first before
    I have them appraise my trade in??
    What is the correct way to do this?
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This article may be helpful for you. Check out #6.

10 Steps to Buying a New Car

And these Smart Shopper discussions:

Buying Tips: How do I get the best deal?
    Real World Trade-in Values
  • Options
    subdriver2subdriver2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Suburban with 54,000 miles on it. At 50k it lost drive and third gear while driving 35 mph with the whole family loaded in it. The dealership fixed it at a fraction of the normal cost. They agreed this shouldn't have happened at such low mileage. Since then coincidently I've been experiencing vibration coming from the steering wheel and gas pedal when the vehicle is in gear and the brake is on. It'll still vibrate when in park but not as much. The dealership checked it out and said nothings wrong with the trans, it could be my fuel injectors need cleaning . I first tried better grade of gas and gas additives. This has not worked. I'm afraid the dealership is going to keep working on it and it's going to end up costing me every time they come up with another suggestion. Can the trans be causing this problem or is it the injectors need cleaning?
  • Options
  • Options
    kerryskerrys Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Maxima, and went to the dealership to have the headlight changed because I was told they'd have to remove a tire and part of the bumper to change it. After they looked at it they told me there was a broken pin that kept the headlight assembly together and it was a $300 dollar part (the headlight which is not halogen is only $50). The complete estimate for labor and materials was over $700. Has anyone heard of this pin problem before?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi kerrys, welcome! Have a look at the Nissan Maxima group. There is a Maintenance and Repair discussion that might be a good place to ask. You may want to check out some of the other discussions as well.
  • Options
    patty12patty12 Member Posts: 1
    I have an Explorer Sport Trak Bed Extender (2001) to sell. First question: I have no idea what I should ask for it.
    Second question: Will this 2001 bed extender fit any Sport Trak regardless of year?
    Third question: Will it fit any truck?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    mmccluskeymmccluskey Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any experience with this issue? It seems like the starter is working, but the car will not start. I'd like some background before I go blindly to the dealer.
  • Options
  • Options
    There's a general Jaguar S-Type discussion but you may have more luck in the "No Start" Problems discussion.
  • Options
    kcookvtkcookvt Member Posts: 1
    I have an '82 chevy G20 conversion van that I inherited from my father, who recently passed away. It is in really good shape, and I want to hang onto it for sentimental reasons. Apparently, the engine blew recently--my mechanic thinks I "spun a bearing", whatever that means, due to low oil. The van has about 130,000 miles on it and I recently had the A/C converted to the new coolant system. I have basic mechanic skills--I do my own brakes, tune-ups, oil changes, etc., and I'm pretty good at figuring things out. Would rebuilding the engine or replacing it with a used one from a salvage yard be something I should attempt to tackle on my own? Thanks
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    That looks like a job for Got a Quick, Technical Question?
  • Options
    josh5mjosh5m Member Posts: 7
    Where can I get the key made FOR CHEAP! the dealerships want $150 FOR A KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What can I do please!!! :cry:
  • Options
    Try one of the discussions in the Focus group; someone may know of an eBay type alternative that you can program yourself.
  • Options
    vlhatchvlhatch Member Posts: 7
    Driving along at 70 or 25 mph, flat or uphill, any kind of weather, vehicle stops, all red panel lights come on. Sometimes it starts after two or three tries. Sometimes not. Have you had this experience? Did you discover the problem? Were you able to solve the problem? How? Any clues would be gratefullly appreciated.
  • Options
    I'd start in the 1970's & '80s Volvos discussion.
  • Options
    hdfurnmanhdfurnman Member Posts: 3
    We Live In NE WI and the weather is very cold as of late have a NEW O7 TAHOE The rear lift does not work below 6 degrees and now we are experencing really bad road noise to the piont were we can not even talk with out raising the volume in your voice and now we have a clunk jerk motion in the front have had it to the dealer 3 times last was yesterday told to use lift gate in maual mode when cold out and yes its loud ( road noise) but noy sure whats causing it Could be the roads My wife swears she feels the clunk on her foot when drivig any one else have these problems
  • Options
  • Options
    tkm13ustkm13us Member Posts: 1
    i started the van 4 different times today with no problem I went to get my daughter from school and it would turn over but not start. we are thinking it is the fuel pump. :( are we right?
  • Options
    sherlondasherlonda Member Posts: 1
    i have change the water pump on my 4cy madza and i think the timing belt marking isnt set correctly because when the car is cold i have to ride with brake and gas because it's about to cut off. what is the marking for the timing belt 1999 madza 626.
    because the car was running find before the water pump replacement.
  • Options
    r_kosmalr_kosmal Member Posts: 1
    I changed the battery in my 2003 Accord and I now need the radio code. I called the Honda Dealer and they said they have to pull the radio to get the code? Is this true?
  • Options
    Try asking in the Mazda 626 Engine Questions discussion.
  • Options
    In some cars the code is at the top front of the radio and you can pull off the fascia and read it. Check in one of the Honda Accord discussions to see if that's possible with your model. The Maintenance & Repair discussion for your year or the Audio one are probably the best bets.
  • Options
    thankdogthankdog Member Posts: 14
    I am looking for info from others on whether to trade in or sell outright my convertible and the best way to do this. I'm not sure where to post this. Any help is appreciated. Thx, Lynn
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    A couple of places to get some insight:
    * Purchasing Used Vehicles - even though you're selling, this will give you ideas on what buyers are looking for
    * Prepping Your Used Vehicle for Sale
    * Real World Trade-In Values - will give you an idea of what a dealer will pay for your car, and a baseline of what you can get as a private seller.
  • Options
    lmitchelllmitchell Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchase an '02 Trailblazer with 54K miles. Heard a soft knock while test driving, dealer mechanic said lose manifold bolt. They supposedly fixed it, still heard slight knock. After having vehicle for a few days, knock got worse, after 1 week in dealer shop, they diagnosed it as carbon build up. Recommended high test gas for a couple tanks, oil additive. I feel like I'm getting shoved off until my 60 day warranty expires. Any thoughts? Knock speeds up on exceleration, whether engine is hot or cold.
  • Options
    ux149ux149 Member Posts: 18
    I owned, and loved, a 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ with a 5.7 litre diesel engine. Yes, a diesel Grand Prix. I'm wondering if anyone else owned one or if any are still around. What's the best forum for my inquiry? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Try Chevrolet Trailblazer Maintenance and Repair. It helps to make sure the service writer puts your complaints in writing on your receipt for work too in case the problem continues after the factory warranty expires - see The Secret Warranty.
  • Options
    Don't happen to have any pics lying around you could scan and post on your CarSpace page do you?

Try the Pontiac Grand Prix: Meet the Owners discussion - it could use a good jolt to start it off!. And I'm sure the folks in the Is This the "Day of the Diesel?" discussion would love to hear your historical perspective and you'd probably enjoy Classic? Collectible? Special Interest? Just Old? too.
  • Options
    thankdogthankdog Member Posts: 14
    Thank you...very good info there. I learned a lot! :)
  • Options
    lisabellelisabelle Member Posts: 1
    Hello, Does anyone know of a convertible that has 5 seats? I really want to downsize from my YukonXL, but have 3 kids & a hubby. I am looking for a convertible with 3 seat belts in the back....anyone????
    Thanks!!!! ~Lisabelle
  • Options
    ron56ron56 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 grand jeep cherokee... speedometer needle bounces between speeds, back and forth but will eventually settle out... i replaced the sensor in the side of the transmission but did not resolve issue... any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    You can look through the topics for individual vehicles - or try What's the best vehicle for my needs?.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Check out Jeep Grand Cherokee to see whether anyone else has had to deal with that issue.

tidester, host
  • Options
    pez77pez77 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 sonata has a weird vibration and it is lauder than usual, I took it to Midas (on my way to work) and they said nothing was wrong, then it died that same day and pepboys installed a new crankshaft sensor (the problem, they said), so now it runs but still has the noise and vibration thing.
    I just moved back to a place where I already know a good mechanic, but some people have told me to take it to the dealer. Any opinions? My car is obviously out of warranty, so I don't know if the dealer is the way to go.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    where do you feel this vibration? Does the steering wheel vibrate or do you only feel it in the seat of your pants? Can you lightly touch a door panel or the floor of the car and feel it? Does your rear view mirror vibrate so that you can't see out of it?

How are your tires? Old? Ever rotated? Anyone taken a good look at them?
  • Options
    gismodergygismodergy Member Posts: 2
    haha this has to be a stupid question but how do i start a new thread!
  • Options
    carledcarled Member Posts: 1
    1997 Caviler 2.2 liter engine (no overhead cam) is making a loud banging noise. It does not sound the same as bad rod bearings. The noise has persisted for at least 100 to 150 miles. Could it be a stuck or collapsed valve lifter?

Can the valve lifters in this engine be replaced without removing the engine from the car?
  • Options
    mteigenmteigen Member Posts: 1
    i'm planning to make a cross country drive, and would like the use of a car for 3 months. my question is: would it be better to rent or lease?

i couldn't find a place to post this -- the "leasing" section is organized by models, and didnt seem to be the place to ask a general question like mine.
  • Options
    Within any discussion, go up one level using the available links in the "You are here:" line at the top of the page. Then click the "Add a Discussion" link and follow the directions there.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Check the Chevrolet Cavalier group for related topics. You may also want to check Got a Quick, Technical Question?.

tidester, host
  • Options
    I don't now whether you can get a lease for only three months but you can get some guidance in General Questions about Leasing Vehicles.

tidester, host