Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to learn more!
Options

The Stock Market and Investing

Comments

• Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    edited May 2010
    I had a feeling you would not like my decision.

Well... I do disagree, but it is very understandable. And, I certainly respect your market decisions, as they have been stellar, IMO. Certainly, there are other less risky investments you can make with that money. But, as long as I still see a 50% to 200%+ return within a few years, I don't want to let it go. If the day should come that I don't see that potential, I would dump the stock, but so far there are good reasons to hold it.

I am certainly not someone that has any investment credentials, but if I see any good reason to dump Citi, I will be among the first to do so, and I promise I will share that with everyone here. There are in fact many well-respected investors that also see Citi as a big winner down the road. And, to be fair, there are some that see it as a loser.

For the record, and for others here in the forum that might be concerned about this... the most current analyst ratings (Zacks) give Citi a much more positive than negative rating.

Analyst Ratings, Citigroup
    Recommendations...Current
    Strong Buy.................. 7
    Moderate Buy............ 0
    Hold............................ 9
    Moderate Sell........... 1
    Strong Sell................ 1

I personally think it is more likely that New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo is clever enough to see this as an opportunity to gain some political prowess and publicity for himself.

Politicians... what would we do without 'em? ;)

TM
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    That solution looks to be amazing. Best news I have seen today. Thanks for posting. I wonder if BP and the gov. will come up with some excuse not to use this method so their buddies can be paid millions to help clean this mess up !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    TM, you have my vote on this. I am holding boat loads of 2012 LEAPS Calls in C, BAC and USB. Each of them is up about 30% so far. Just to show how bullish I am with these banks, I've also sold naked LEAPS Puts on these company to help financing my Calls.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wow! I am really further encouraged to learn of your enthusiasm... that's awesome... just don't get yourself in any trouble or go too far out on a limb. You do seem like a guy that likes a lot of adrenaline running through your veins. ;)

I can't wait to learn about your IPO.

BTW, I believe you meant to type UBS, right? :)

TM
  • Options
    2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    USB = US Bankcorp

Also, the calls were not expensive even if they go to zero. The naked Puts were sold in very limited qty, but I do keep an eye on them all the time.
    I will post on the IPO as soon as I get concrete info on it.
  • Options
    Gotcha... I thought you might have been referring to UBS, which I believe has also been targeted in Cuomo's politically-motivated probe.

Sounds good...

TM
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Basically a crime gone horribly wrong by computer input mistakes maybe?. Yes - very possible. Think about it - no one has come forward to protest losses that were made in that period and yet we know all of them within 60% of the trade price before the glitch went through. Only the guilty would hide in such a situation. It's as if you were shot accidentally by your partner in a bank hold-up and the act was caught on camera. You can't go running for help.

Somehow I just knew you would see the possibilities of truth behind my theory. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I believe it could be true. When I told my theory to my wife, she thought it would make a good book, or movie script. She might be right.

If I was an investigative reporter, I'd be all over this one... as long as the criminals didn't kill me first. :surprise:

TM
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Hmmm, "You Dirty Rat!" Fast-Fingers Freddy did it again! If I ever getta hold'a the guy..... :mad:

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I know very little about most corporations in terms of investing but I promised myself I would stay away from financial plays for AT LEAST 5 years. Unless you like bloody drama, stay away...

Sort'a like staying away form buying a GM vehicle...it's a no-brainer to me...but what'a I know? :blush:

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    edited May 2010
    I know very little about most corporations in terms of investing but I promised myself I would stay away from financial plays for AT LEAST 5 years. Unless you like bloody drama, stay away...

Of course, if you are a buy and hold investor, the past 2 weeks in the market are just a fly on an elephant's butt in the scheme of things. :shades:
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Gentlemen:

Effective last night (and implemented first thing this morning), my investment priority at this point has shifted to preservation of capital.

Most recently, I have been hot and cold and back to hot and cold on this stock market that is obviously caught in a serious tug of war for many reasons... some more legitimate than others.

Fundamentals are mixed and the global picture is even more mixed. The market has become unstable and therefore brings with it the potential for wild swings in either direction. There are numerous significant reasons for serious concern.

I might miss some upside, but I would rather do that than be caught in a terrible downward spiral.

As I look at the overall picture, I am very pleased with my investment results, but if I stay in this market I could end up throwing it all away. I simply will not let this volatile market chip away at my gains... and there is certainly no reason to become greedy. Greed can overcome clarity of thinking, and I will not let that happen. I have enough gains to satisfy myself. It was terrific to participate in the incredible gains during the past year. Those types of gains cannot last forever, particularly in the midst of this very complicated and dangerous current global situation... global financial crisis, part 2? I will never forget how Charlie got out before part 1.

The global picture is one that I can not ignore, and I will not become complacent. I do not trust many of the world's governments, the militant terrorists, the white-collar terrorists, many of the corporations, nor many of the so-called financial experts, not even some of the world's scientists, and certainly no politicians. In fact, I no longer totally trust the stock market itself.

So, after careful thought and also after prayer, my decision and current direction and priority is so very clear to me...

Current objective: Preservation of capital.

I am completely and totally out of this stock market for a while, as I am taking a breather... a nice vacation from the market. And, my God, I feel great about it already. :shades:

TM
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Now you can go buy that GT2 Porsche. :shades: Cruise up and down the CA Coast and enjoy the wonderful weather.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Len,

I would have to imagine that you are paying close attention to the price of oil lately. The steep price drop is what you expected last year, but now finally seems to be underway. Do you think this is due to energy fundamentals, or more due to the currency crisis? And, what's your perspective on oil prices, moving forward?

TM
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Fully understandable. I'm very worried too.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    I am completely and totally out of this stock market for a while

Didn't you just get back in a day or so ago?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yes... it was a waste of my time and energy, as I had already posted that I was not comfortable with this market, and it really didn't change anything much. And given today's market action so far, I am glad to have nothing to do with it.

I have done very well with stocks. I made a couple of bad calls along the way, but I also made some highly-profitable stellar calls, and overall I have done extraordinarily well. I have no complaints.

But, I am crystal clear that this is now the time for me to go to the cashier's window, and take a nice relaxed break.

This comes to mind... the Kenny Rogers song, "The Gambler"...

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
    There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

:shades:

TM

edit: Don't forget... I have had the bulk of my investment assets in fixed instruments for many years... and I have done nothing to change that. But, with regards to equities... time for me to sit back and enjoy the fireworks. ;)
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,512
    is everything.

Most of us lack the skill to bob & weave to the extent displayed here -- no drop is unforseen, no rise unanticipated. We mere mortals live only to touch the hem of the garments of such folks, but lacking that opportunity, trudge on.

I own mutual funds -- can't you tell?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ha... I really should make it clear that this is not a full "timing" move. I am not timing the market in the ways I have done so in the past. The big difference here is that I have timed getting out of the market, but I have absolutely no intention of getting back in for a while... even if/when the market goes up!

Previously, I'd be waiting for the next perfect moment to get back in the market. This time I am not going to do so. I am taking a break no matter what happens. Perhaps some posters here don't believe that I'm done with the equities market for now, but I really am done for a while. There will be plenty of opportunities again in the future, and I will be happy to jump back in one day when I am ready. I still intend to work on my strategy to turn about $50 - $100K into $1Mil sometime next year or shortly thereafter.

In the meantime, I have not decided where I am going to invest all the money... probably fixed instruments, not sure... but no equities.

TM
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    edited May 2010
    I think it's the fact that the fundamentals can no longer be overlooked and glossed over with false hope that never delivers. Fundamentals have been lousy for a real long time but speculation has run rampant for reasons that are completely mystifying to me. I mean who the heck didn't know the Euro was going to take a big fall so how anyone bought into the currency argument is hard to understand. Re demand we must have built reserves 90-95% of the weeks in the past year. How the heck does oil rise when the glut gets bigger and bigger? Saudi's ramped up to near full last week when oil got high enough and that was the clear signal that oil had peaked and was headed down.

BTW good story on last weeks high frequency trades that cause the big 20 minute drop here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/business/14norris.html?ref=business
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    BTW good story on last weeks high frequency trades that cause the big 20 minute drop here.

Check THIS out!...

Here's the link... link title ...but I've copied the content.

Big seller in market drop ID'ed as Waddell & Reed
    By DAVID PITT (AP) – 4 hours ago

DES MOINES, Iowa — Shares of money manager Waddell & Reed Financial Inc. fell Friday as it was identified as the stock trader that sold off a large number of index futures contracts during last Thursday's market collapse.

The company's stock fell $1.81, or 5 percent, to $32.25, on a day when broader markets fell nearly 2 percent.

Waddell's sale of 75,000 e-mini futures contracts in a 20-minute span on May 6 drew the attention of regulators, Thomson Reuters reported.

E-minis are tied to the value of the S&P 500 index. They're traded electronically on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange.

Overland Park, Kan.-based Waddell & Reed, which provides mutual funds and asset management services, said its trading of e-mini contracts was part of its normal operation to protect fund investors from market risk.

"The portfolio managers in those flexible portfolio funds often make hedging trades to attempt to protect shareholders from downside risk. And that's what was happening in that case," spokesman Roger Hoadley said.

Waddell & Reed said it was one of more than 250 companies that traded e-mini securities as the stock market plunged. The Dow Jones industrials lost nearly 1,000 points, nearly a tenth of their value in less than half an hour. It was the biggest drop ever in a trading day. The Dow recovered two-thirds of the loss before the closing bell, but the free fall prompted close scrutiny of that day's trading as regulators try to figure out what caused the sell-off.

SEC Chairman Mary Schapiro said Tuesday in testimony before the House Financial Services subcommittee on capital markets that her agency has yet to pinpoint the reason for the sell-off.

Six major U.S. securities exchanges on Monday agreed in principle to a uniform system of "circuit breakers," which could slow trading during sharp market swings. Most of the 50 U.S. exchanges regulate themselves and design their own tools for slowing or halting trading.

Schapiro and her fellow SEC commissioners will review the recommendations submitted by the exchanges for a marketwide system of circuit breakers, SEC spokesman John Nester said after the hearing.

Once the market started falling, automated computer trading intensified the downturn. The selling only led to more selling as prices plummeted and traders tried to limit their losses.

Waddell & Reed said it, like many other traders, was affected negatively by the market activity of May 6.

The CME and regulators at the Commodity Futures Trading Commission declined to comment on Friday.

In congressional testimony this week Schapiro and Gary Gensler, head of the CFTC, said e-mini contract trading was believed to have lead to steep stock price declines.

Gensler testified that one trader took a large short position in the e-mini, selling "on the way down and (continuing) to do so even as the price level recovered." He didn't name the trader.

Waddell's spokesman said the company has not been contacted by regulators or the CME about the May 6 trading.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Incredible, eh?

TM
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    To take a rest from markets, here is a link to a video on the Iceland volcano currently in eruption:
    Eyjafjallajökull
    Appealing enough, the eruption does not come from a previous cone but below the glacier.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    Jose,
    Nice pics. Did you get much of the ash falling where you are located? I know it can be hard on the paint of your car.
  • Options
    Depending on the dominant wind direction, Europe airports open and close here and there. Spanish airports were closed most days of this week, but ashes were and are high in the air and not falling down to the ground.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,289
    edited May 2010
    I have to wonder how much of the air traffic woes are because of legitimate safety vs legal liability worries. IIRC a few weeks ago during the high drama closing time, airlines took some planes up into the "ash" with no ill effects. IIRC also, this isn't the same as flying a plane through a dense ash cloud like what happened in Alaska in 1989.

It has me rethinking my plan to fly Icelandair on my next trip to save a few bucks (which I will then blow on a nice rental car :shades: )
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hola Jose

I missed the entire decline and recovery and then another decline, all in a week due to being on the farm without a computer or t v...Got a tv and got the pbs station, and one other, and just in passing heard the market had decline a thousand points before recovery.......I thought to myself---`where there is smoke there is fire`....When I got back to town, I saw where c had declined below four......I did get the feeling last week that this felt alot like the turn of the century, with rampant
    speculation---particularly Bideau (sp)......

It was interesting to get your perspective on Spain, and although I don`t really know much about it, it was nice to get your input. and a ray of sunshine that things wern`t as bad as reported to be.....

Everyone wanted a correction in the market, to be able to purchase favorite securities at more reasonable prices.......Some on this board have done so, while others pulled back.....As I said I personally was going to hold through this time of decline, and I believe for me this will prove out to be successful......I don`t average down, but instead look in the mirror, and say `you made a mistake`.....:) Tony
  • Options
    have to wonder how much of the air traffic woes are because of legitimate safety vs legal liability worries. IIRC a few weeks ago during the high drama closing time, airlines took some planes up into the "ash" with no ill effects. IIRC also, this isn't the same as flying a plane through a dense ash cloud like what happened in Alaska in 1989.

I think it sorta goes like this:

1 - there's a lot of ash in the air
    2 - there have been many cases of multi-engine jets flaming out with ash in the air
    3 - we don't know how the ash levels from Iceland will affect the engines of the jets
    4 - until we do, let's take the conservative approach and not have a bunch of planes gliding down from the sky

:shades:
  • Options
    I think it's more like various federal "authorities" trying to look busy. I can't see why the airlines would risk flying in the supposed hazard...but they ran test flights with no ill effects. If anything, a lot of research needs to be done, and now, as that volcano could smolder and burp for decades.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Tony,

Welcome back from the farm. Do you think you make an investment mistake? Did you buy that John Deere tractor?

TM
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hola Tony, nice to read from you again! Did you buy the tractor?

Funny I learnt yesterday Lamborghini was first of all a very well Italian established tractor factory whose founder (after WWII) and owner was Mr Ferruccio Lamborghini, the son of viticulturists and an mechanic himself.

Late in the Fifties Mr Lamborghini bought a Ferrari—he had owned already a series of Alfa Romeos, Lancias, Maseratis, MBs, and other Ferraris—of which the clutch gave a lot of problems. Mr Lamborghini then asked the mechanics of his own tractor factory to made a clutch for the car; they did, the clutch was fitted into the Ferrari and served there very well. Then in a party or elsewhere Mr Lamborghini told Mr Ferrari that he could give him good advice about how to improve Ferrari's clutches. Mr Ferrari slapped back that Mr Lamborghini should gave advice on tractors but not in high-end sport cars. Reportedly Mr Lamborghini went then into a long-dreamed venture: to build a high-end sport/touring car which could compete with Ferrari. And Lamborghini were from there on! The car factory was build on 1963 and the first big success came with the Miuras in 1966!

I heard this story from a current engineer of the Lamborghini factory at Sant'Agata Bolognese. (I was watching an interesting TV documentary on the production of Lamborghini Murciélago SV at Sant'Agata Bolognese, which was previous to the broadcasting of the qualifications for F1 Monaco GP.)

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Today are the English and Scottish airports which are closed because of the ashes.

I'd rather interpret Murphy's Law "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong" in the sense that in any circumstance every known problem has to be addressed to avoid trouble. And volcano ashes and aircrafts are a well-documented problematic circumstance.

There are many instances of damage to jet aircraft as a result of an ash encounter. After the Galunggung, Indonesia volcanic event in 1982, a British Airways Flight 9 flew through an ash cloud; all four engines cut out. The plane descended from 36,000 feet (11,000 m) to 12,000 feet (3,700 m), where the engines could be restarted. On December 15, 1989 a KLM Boeing 747-400 (Flight 867) flying from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport to Anchorage International Airport encountered similar problems near Mount Redoubt (Alaska). The damage was 80 million US$; there was 80 kg ash in each turbine; it took 3 months work to repair the plane.
    In April 2010, airspace all over Europe was closed—which was unprecedented—due to the presence of volcanic ash in the upper atmosphere from the eruption of the Icelandic volcano Eyjafjallajökull. On 15 April 2010 the Finnish Air Force halted training flights when damage was found from volcanic dust ingestion by the engines of one of its Boeing F-18 Hornet fighters. On 22 April 2010 UK RAF Typhoon training flights were also temporarily suspended after deposits of volcanic ash were found in a jet's engines.
    From Wikipedia

Of course Airlines are pulling the other end of the rope trying not to loose money. Understandable to a point, but someone has to regulate here too, and this is a role to be played by 'bureaucrat' technicians under political control IMO. ;)

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I was surprised that some countries expected the airlines to foot the bill on food & housing for those stuck due to canceled flights. How is a volcano eruption the fault of the airline? When people travel, they should expect the unexpected. It is not the government or the airlines responsibility when it is not any fault of theirs. For me it is the whole entitlement mentality that seems to have gone crazy. I have been stuck in villages in Alaska due to bad weather so many times I cannot count them. I never once blamed it on our company or the government.

PS
    It would be like me blaming someone on this thread for a loss on "C" over the last week. :shades:
  • Options
    Hi Tag

No I don`t think I made an investment mistake, just a timing mistake, and over a longer period of time, a minor one...probably....C has alot of foreign exposure, so they are there when things pick up abroad, and slowly they are addressing their past errors.....I do think the overhang of government stock will be in the picture, and no matter what the pros say, in this day and time nothing is discounted...When they sell, down she goes...

As for the farm, I purchased a Kabots--just like you :)---man it was a marathon bargaining , like two weeks, with the hydraulic transmission and a front end loader---a 4240- cost twenty six thousand..four wheel drive.....I wanted it small enough for my daughter and wife to be able to use easily (mowing) and that was a big success.....Although the barn is huge--a leftover from my farming days, I am going to buy a twenty foot container to keep in the barn under` lock and key` as robbery has been a problem in the past.....all the small tools etc will also be in that container, and the cost for that is a thousand dollars...I would suggest anyone might find that of interest.

I am partial to John Deere, but the dealership is a long way from Charleston,as the farming industry is dying.....The farmer just doesn`t get enough for the crop to justify the huge investment and time and trouble--not to mention the input costs....Either a multi thousand acre operation or none IMO...This will happen slowly over a long period of time, but mark my words, another great American industry going abroad.....

Next week i will put the down payment on a Polaris side by side 6X6...for future delivery....then I will rest :) Tony
  • Options
    "It is not the government or the airlines responsibility when it is not any fault of theirs."

Agreed. These days the business is for buses fleeted by passengers stopped at the airports. If any, IMO, the government or the airlines should be helpful and ready in order to clear traffic/airports but not at government or airlines expenses. Last Christmas Spanish Gov. helped passengers in organizing the fleeting of charters to clear Madrid airport when a cheap airline went into bankruptcy and left thousands of passengers without their flies to America and Europe.

On the other hand, I am very grateful to the airline clerk who found an alternative connection for me to fly from London to Bilbao two winters ago when Madrid airport (my booked connection) was closed for two days because of a heavy snow storm. She found a connection through Paris, whilst the clerk next to her was angrily denying the same to other flyer. I herd them discussing the issue, made a sign to the flyer to pass to my queue with me, and the clerk that was helping me helped her as well. That convinced me again that life can be as a "chocolate box" no matter how well you deal with the unexpected. (BTW, who was who said that? ;) ) And, that there are people and other people.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    As for the farm, I purchased a Kubota--just like you

Awesome tractor. I love mine... had it for many years, with almost no issues. I haven't used it in the last two years, though... as I haven't worked on the property in quite a while. My brother-in-law uses it, however, and it's been a lifesaver for everyone back there.

I have equipped it with a frontloader attachment, a rear cutter, and a powerful backhoe attachment.

I think this is your model with a front loader. Did you get a canopy or enclosed cab?

On a seperate note, you seem to have a sensible perspective on the Citi stock. Sure, it would have been nice to get it at its exact low, but that is usually not possible to be so precise. As long as you have it at a depressed price, which you clearly have accomplished, then you have a good chance of doing well down the line. Many experts believe it will be worth $7.50 - $10.00 (or much more) per share in just a few years or less. Who knows, I might end up getting back in the market before it starts to climb again... but I am definitely taking a break for a while.

Good luck with the Kubota! :)

TM
  • Options
    I have to wonder how close those recent examples flew to the ash cloud...all ash clouds are not the same. Tests should be performed at varying distances and altitudes to find a way around the mess, rather than blindly shutting everything down, which serves little purpose other than to make the public sector look like it is actually doing something valuable.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have owned my BX22 Kubota for years. Here I am teaching my grandson the fine art of digging a ditch the easy way. A great back saving investment.

• Options
    I (we) got just a sun shield top, as no one will be working that many hours, such as a farmer.....I found the enclosed cab a life saver when I or others worked all day.Just not nearly as fatiguing ....although the backhoe would be great for small ditch repair, what is needed down there is a` long reach`...and that I have to contract out..

That was an attractive picture, and the background looked very interesting....

I would suggest that when the stock market gets frustrating , to walk the couple of blocks and get near the breakers on the beach.....All the different opinions are meaningless, and your own thoughts have been right on the mark....just stand back a little and give yourself a chance...Tony
  • Options
    cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    I have to say that this market is ticking me off with its behavior lately. You are likely doing the right thing by taking a long siesta from the market. I'll have to see how things got the next day or two. I might join you.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have to say that this market is ticking me off with its behavior lately. You are likely doing the right thing by taking a long siesta from the market. I'll have to see how things got the next day or two. I might join you.

Well, if you do Charlie... it will probably go up 500 pts. the very next day... ;)

Seriously... with the global situation like it is, and with this psychotic, irrational, and corrupt market... I am going to be watching one hell of a show. No matter what direction the market goes, it is truly nice to be a spectator at a time like this. :shades:

TM
  • Options
    Well, if you do Charlie... it will probably go up 500 pts. the very next day...

I cannot possibly argue with this statement.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    A story like this is really scary. I didn't realize high frequency trading wa this out of hand. When a stock is held on average for 11 seconds, and the position of a high number of firms causing the huge share volume on Wall street each day is net zero at the end of each day, you can almost argue that you no longer even have a market. Too many of these firms alll trading in the same direction is what had to have caused the drop of a thousand points and the false prices of a penny and $36 on ACN and P&G. This isn't investing, it's a cause of great volatility in which the normal investor is put at a huge disadvantage. This has to be curbed because it's taking transparancy out of the market and it will get worse and worse in volatility and abrupt variances up and down in stock market values. Just read the story. The people at these firms d'ont even know what they are buying and selling.

Here's a quote from the story:

Showing a computer chart to a visitor, Mr. Narang zeroes in on one stock that had recently been a winner for the firm. Which stock? Mr. Narang clicks on the chart to bring up the ticker symbol: NETL. What’s that? Mr. Narang clicks a few more times and answers slowly: “NetLogic Microsystems.” He shrugs. “Never heard of it,” he says.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/business/17trade.html?hpw
  • Options
    Yep, forget about day trading school...it's time to be a software programmer so you can write yourself a routine that plays on the computer trading at an advantage. Doesn't matter what the stock is, fundamentally, what-so-ever!! Now it's about who has the most powerful systems.

Talk about pushing a button to end the world! :sick:

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Talk about pushing a button to end the world!

Exactly what I was thinking. If all of these firms traded the same way the Dow could fall to a few points. This is the financial equivalent of the movie Terminator.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Len,

Would you put your money in a bank if the bank manager came to you and told you that the bank's collective accounts were being robbed and manipulated on a regular basis? He'd have to be a very good salesman to convince people to put their money in his bank, wouldn't he?

But, what if that bank was actually the stock market, and those same robbers/manipulators were still at work? Oh, and no investment insurance, of course.

So, should we give 'em our money?

TM
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Holy "skata" as we Greeks say :cry: . They better come up with some strict regulations very soon or the stock market is doomed.

Len, assuming that there will be regulation to avoid another fiasco in the very near future where do we go from here in the market? I am still quite optimistic about the overall U.S. economy.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Charlie, I am also but as I said last week the qualifiers are a terrorist attack or the Greek situation getting out of hand. The problem is that it is now high freqyency trades that may be the biggest cause for the Greek situation getting out of hand moreso than the fundamental of that situation. This is where I worry more than ever. The situation gets worse because of computer trading rather than human thinking and realization. The panic we all read about is not investor panic, it's computer panic and investors (or gamblers for that matter) d'ont even know what the computers are doing. when they are doing it.

Tag - the problem is nothing is long-term anymore. Fundamentally short-term traders will be overwhelmed by positive LT events in the long run. Look at Apple at 84 vs 250-270 in 16 months. But now you get where you are bound to get through a series of sharp roller coaster ridges rather than a slow but steady rising graph with just minor deviations from the line. These volume trades love volatility so they are progrramed to accentuate it and the more and more high frequency traders join the club the more out of hand and severe the valleys and tops will get. So the bottom line is you need good LT stocks that you believe in and if you get out you need to get back in before the tide rises again and as we saw a week ago at this time that can happen swiftly - for all wrong reasons. If you have a now to then future vision for a stock (as I think many of us do for citi) then you sit through the quakes. If not you jump in and out trying to time the guesses of the volume traders you need to be lucky, and undoubtedly some of these decisions of high frequency traders are dictated by the latest guest on CNBC. If these traders are in and out in 11 seconds they've traded 20 million shares (none of which they ever owned probably) in the 5 minutes the person is interviewed.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Charlie, I am also but as I said last week the qualifiers are a terrorist attack or the Greek situation getting out of hand. The problem is that it is now high freqyency trades that may be the biggest cause for the Greek situation getting out of hand moreso than the fundamental of that situation. This is where I worry more than ever. The situation gets worse because of computer trading rather than human thinking and realization. The panic we all read about is not investor panic, it's computer panic and investors (or gamblers for that matter) d'ont even know what the computers are doing. when they are doing it.

The only reason I am still in the market is because my investment is not a huge amount. Thus, I am taking the chance that common sense will win out.

Btw, can you believe the gas prices at the pump these days? It is mind boggling. The futures have plummeted to $2.05. In our area, the gas prices at the pump are typically 30-40 cents above the futures. Instead, as of early this morning, they were a whopping 64 cents above the futures.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Btw, can you believe the gas prices at the pump these days? It is mind boggling. The futures have plummeted to $2.05. In our area, the gas prices at the pump are typically 30-40 cents above the futures. Instead, as of early this morning, they were a whopping 64 cents above the futures

The fall has happened so swiftly that I d'ont think it's caught up yet. Meant to tell you that I am taking the new LS460L with Teleios wheels. The car looks very stylish with them especially in a dark color. Also AWD comes automatically with the air suspension.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, that's exactly part of the problem... the computer traders are playing the swings, quickly and repeatedly. The bigger the swings, the better for them.

But, there's more to it. Some of the instruments they are trading are suspicious and questionable, IMO.

I do agree, however, that a good stock that is poised for growth should overcome most of the baloney out there, on a LT basis, but I also think that ANY stock can get sucked into a human/computer generated vortex... in fact, I think we've all seen that the entire market can become highly compromised.

Consider that fixed instruments can deliver a reasonable return up to as much as 8%, and that stocks historically average maybe around 11%. (although the S&P hasn't really done anything for over a decade .) The idea of risking so much just to get 3% seems out of whack.

Only those stocks that are poised to make 50% - 200% would be worth it to me. Down the road, I'll be on the lookout for a few of those, otherwise I have no interest in the market in its current condition. Perhaps financial reform will help the market, but I really expect no more than a band-aid from our politicians... if even that.

TM
  • Options
    I love the Teleios wheels. I have them on my car, but unfortunately, for only about 8-9 months of the year since I have to put the snow tires on during the winter season. As I indicated to you in the past, I will never again buy a RWD vehicle.