Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    the 2.0 is probably going to be a quick package but I don't think it will be close to 29.5K. IIRC the 2.0 sport is going to be loaded up, with the 1.5l being relatively skimpy equipment, like the current model.

I will look at the 1.5 sport as the stickshift option, though I doubt you will find many on the lot, ever, but if I decide stick with the AT, will likely go for the EX model instead.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• john4545john4545 Member Posts: 136
    My lease is up next May. I too if I could find a 17 Sport Manuel in Nov. will buy it . Probably would need red to pull trigger.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    john4545 said:

The 2018 Accord will be a top rated vehicle but I'm pretty sure the people over at Audi aren't to concerned

I'm pretty sure the Honda folks aren't too concerned about Audi. The Accord sells, what, around 30,000 a month and the Audi sedans together barely top 5000.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited September 2017
    The Audi A6 needs a facelift in the looks dept. Looks like something my Dad would drive . Still a excellent world class luxury vehicle with ride, handling, power and Tech features. Buyers shopping in that price range are not considering a Honda Accord. Audi 6 buyers might venture into the BMW 5, Lexus GS, MB E 400, Hyundai G80, Lincoln's MKZ . I'm sure I missed a few more . My Boss has the 17, Audi S6. . WHAT A CAR drove it several times OMG.. to bad I live in the land of the average man . I'm thinking a 2017 Honda Sport looks sharp and would be a great choice for my next ride .. Any suggestions on something comparable to the Accord Manuel Sport. Thinking the Bmw 3 might be out of my price range?
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    benjaminh said:

Since the 2018 Camry is getting mixed reviews, my guess is that once the 2018 Accord comes out (on Oct. 18th) it's probably going to be best-in-class for the next year or so. Perhaps the truly stand-out model is going to be the Sport 2.0 turbo with the all-new 10-speed automatic. This model is going to have an engine similar to the Type-R Civic, but it'll take regular gas, plus you won't need to shift it. For an msrp of probably about $29.5k, this car will likely perform almost as well as an Audi A6 2.0T, but for about 20k less

Well, let's wait and see. While I'm sure the automotive press will be breathless in its praise for the Accord upon introduction, Honda has had a bit of a spotty record of late with its new vehicles. The Ody van has been disappointing and any time Honda rolls out a new automatic transmission it is a situation that requires time in the hands of consumers to ensure it is durable. And of course every other manufacturer responds shortly thereafter. Time will tell.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    ab348 said:

benjaminh said:

Since the 2018 Camry is getting mixed reviews, my guess is that once the 2018 Accord comes out (on Oct. 18th) it's probably going to be best-in-class for the next year or so. Perhaps the truly stand-out model is going to be the Sport 2.0 turbo with the all-new 10-speed automatic. This model is going to have an engine similar to the Type-R Civic, but it'll take regular gas, plus you won't need to shift it. For an msrp of probably about $29.5k, this car will likely perform almost as well as an Audi A6 2.0T, but for about 20k less

Well, let's wait and see. While I'm sure the automotive press will be breathless in its praise for the Accord upon introduction, Honda has had a bit of a spotty record of late with its new vehicles. The Ody van has been disappointing and any time Honda rolls out a new automatic transmission it is a situation that requires time in the hands of consumers to ensure it is durable. And of course every other manufacturer responds shortly thereafter. Time will tell.
    If the Honda 2.0T is well-done, and the 10-speed Auto isn't too slushy, then Honda might just have a big winner on its hands! A car like that should probably be around 29-30K. I can't imagine it competing well in the $35K arena.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    That replaces the current V6, and the EXL version of that with sensing is around 33k

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited September 2017
    andres3 said:

ab348 said:

benjaminh said:

If the Honda 2.0T is well-done, and the 10-speed Auto isn't too slushy, then Honda might just have a big winner on its hands! A car like that should probably be around 29-30K. I can't imagine it competing well in the $35K arena.

I agree. At 35k Accord would lose buyers or pass on this vehicle , I'm sure Honda is well aware of where there ideal price range is on this vehicle . I'd say for under 30k this would be the ideal price range to nail down buyers looking for something with a little more enjoyment

If the V-6 model is being replaced ( which I haven't heard any talks of yet ) then Honda probably will raise pricing higher on the 2.0T models

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

The 2.0t replaces the V6 models basically.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    Isn't the current Accord Touring approaching $35K now? I can't see prices going down with the new model.

Of course, MSRP and average transaction price are two different things.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Really? I think I paid $26k for my '13 EX-L. That was the 4 cyl, which the vast majority of buyers choose.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited September 2017
    2017 Accord Touring Invoice's at $32,809. Most buyers across country and in the Accord forums are getting between 2k and 3k below invoice right now.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    brian125 said:

2017 Accord Touring Invoice's at $32,809. Most buyers across country and in the Accord forums are getting between 2k and 3k below invoice right now.

And, what is the MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited September 2017
    suydam said:

Really? I think I paid $26k for my '13 EX-L. That was the 4 cyl, which the vast majority of buyers choose.

My 2013 EXL V-6 stickered at $30,070. Invoice price at that time was $27,502

The Accord V-6 probably sells about 12% of the models line up . Haven't seen Accord Touring sales numbers this year . Accord LX to the EXL model are the big sellers

Top model touring hybrid must push 35k. EXL V6 with navi and sensing I think is at least 33k. Heck, a touring CRV is over 34k

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited September 2017
    Current Accord msrps for the 2017 model before destination are:
    LX: 22,455
    Sport: 24,515
    EX: 25,830
    EXL: 28,920
    EXL V-6: 30,995
    Touring: 34,930

The current LX price-leader comes with a manual transmission, and doesn't have HondaSensing. When you add the CVT and Honda Sensing, an LX has an msrp of $24,255. All 2018 Accords are going to have HondaSensing standard, which used to be a $1000 option on most models. My guesses for the msrps before destination for the 2018 Accord are...

2018 Accord LX CVT Sensing: c. $25k.
    2018 Sport 1.5 manual: c.27k
    2018 Sport 2.0 manual: c. 28.5k
    2018 Sport 2.0 10speed auto: c. 29.5k
    EX 1.5 CVT: c. 28.5K
    EXL 1.5: c. 31.5k
    EXL 2.0: c. 33.5k
    Touring 1.5: 33.5k
    Touring 2.0: 35.5 k

Just guesses, of course. We'll probably find out in the next week or so.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    Current Touring V-6 lists at $34930 before options. You can run up to $40K if you add optional wheels and some other toys.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I think you are low on 2.0 sport, since rumor was that it would come loaded so might price like an EXL. I hope you are right on the 1.5 EX.

Really need at least equipment levels released so I can figure out which ones fit my needs. Though pricing will certainly come in handy.

stickguy said:

I think you are low on 2.0 sport, since rumor was that it would come loaded so might price like an EXL. I hope you are right on the 1.5 EX.

Really need at least equipment levels released so I can figure out which ones fit my needs. Though pricing will certainly come in handy.

Equipment levels will probably be similar to what we've got now. I don't think any Sport is going to come loaded. But it should be a lot of car for the money. We'll soon see.
    edited September 2017
    stickguy said:

And, since you're as obsessed with seats as I am with visibility, I have to tell you that Honda's leather seats are better. It's not just that they are covered with different material, it's that they are more comfortable and more precisely contoured. So, because of your understandable focus on seats, I think you're going to need to try the EXL.

My wife's 2013 EXL Accord is more comfortable than my 2016 Accord EX. Don't get me wrong, the 2016 Accord EX is comfortable, with good seats covered in nice fabric, but the EXL is the next level.

Ditto, I'm afraid, with the sound systems. My 2016 Accord EX sound system is adequate, but....My wife's 2013 Accord EXL's sound system is actually nice. Easy for me to tell the difference. EX=sometimes slightly tinny and harsh EXL=richer and nicer sound, with much better bass.

The bottom line is that while an EX Accord is a good car for the money, and drives just as well, when it comes to seat comfort and sound, the Accord EXL is just better. But, obviously, you pay for that.

And, since you're as obsessed with seats as I am with visibility, I have to tell you that Honda's leather seats are better. It's not just that they are covered with different material, it's that they are more comfortable and more precisely contoured. So, because of your understandable focus on seats, I think you're going to need to try the EXL.

My wife's 2013 EXL Accord is more comfortable than my 2016 Accord EX. Don't get me wrong, the 2016 Accord EX is comfortable, with good seats covered in nice fabric, but the EXL is the next level.

Ditto, I'm afraid, with the sound systems. My 2016 Accord EX sound system is adequate, but....My wife's 2013 Accord EXL's sound system is actually nice. Easy for me to tell the difference. EX=sometimes slightly tinny and harsh EXL=richer and nicer sound, with much better bass.

The bottom line is that while an EX Accord is a good car for the money, and drives just as well, when it comes to seat comfort and sound, the Accord EXL is just better. But, obviously, you pay for that.
    benjaminh said:

Current Accord msrps for the 2017 model before destination are:
    LX: 22,455
    Sport: 24,515
    EX: 25,830
    EXL: 28,920
    EXL V-6: 30,995
    Touring: 34,930

The current LX price-leader comes with a manual transmission, and doesn't have HondaSensing. When you add the CVT and Honda Sensing, an LX has an msrp of $24,255. All 2018 Accords are going to have HondaSensing standard, which used to be a $1000 option on most models. My guesses for the msrps before destination for the 2018 Accord are...

2018 Accord LX CVT Sensing: c. $25k.
    2018 Sport 1.5 manual: c.27k
    2018 Sport 2.0 manual: c. 28.5k
    2018 Sport 2.0 10speed auto: c. 29.5k
    EX 1.5 CVT: c. 28.5K
    EXL 1.5: c. 31.5k
    EXL 2.0: c. 33.5k
    Touring 1.5: 33.5k
    Touring 2.0: 35.5 k

Just guesses, of course. We'll probably find out in the next week or so.

I the 2018 mazda6 will be in for trouble with the new arrival of the 2018 Accord Sport 2.0 manual: @28.5k

edited September 2017
    2018 BMW offers the 320i Manuel
    (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed) w/ sports app. and track handling a $5500 option for

Invoice
    $39,535

MSRP
    $41,695

Could Honda take sales from this model???/

edited September 2017

I the 2018 mazda6 will be in for trouble with the new arrival of the 2018 Accord Sport 2.0 manual: @28.5k

Yes, this model in particular is what I think of as the "Car and Driver Special." It's going to be made and sold in very small numbers, but it's a good bet that one of them is going to be sent to Car and Driver. The 2.0 with the type R Turbo with the 6-speed manual is their weapon to stay on the Ten Best List imho.

I think Honda will end up selling quite a lot of the 2.0 Sport with the all-new 10-speed auto, although who knows how that transmission is going to work out. Too many gears??

For the current generation, the "Sport" has very good tires, but aside from that it's an appearance package, and the power is not impressive from the current 2.4. That 2.4 NA gives good power for a family sedan, and I really like it, but....the 2.0 is going to be a whole different level. That 2.0 Accord "Sport" is probably going to earn that "Sport" name for the first time.

The new 1.5 turbo in the 2018 Accord is similar to the Si's turbo, and it will probably be a little faster than the 2.4, but not by much.
    Production began on Sept. 18th on the 2018 Accord....

"Sep 18, 2017 - MARYSVILLE, OH
    Associates at Honda of America Mfg., Inc. (HAM) today celebrated the start of mass production of the all-new 2018 Honda Accord...."

http://hondanews.com/releases/honda-to-add-300-new-jobs-invest-267-million-to-support-increased-auto-manufacturing-in-ohio

Mostly positive review by Edmunds of the 2018 Camry XLE....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJAfgPyeAU&t=362s
    edited September 2017
    The best review on any vehicle is your test drive. That's what really counts. Most Camry reviews talk about a firm ride with this model.

@benjaminh
    What is the HP on the 2018, 2.0T Accord
    john4545 said:

The best review on any vehicle is your test drive. That's what really counts. Most Camry reviews talk about a firm ride in this model.

@benjaminh
    What is the HP on the 2018, 2.0T Accord

252hp with 273 lb-ft of torque. From Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-honda-accord-officially-revealed-news

The 2.0-liter is derived from the 306-hp engine currently found under the hood of the 2017 Civic Type R, although with output reduced for duty in the Accord. Honda tells us this goes beyond “detuning,” as its innards have been considerably revised or replaced, including the turbocharger hardware. Rated at 252 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque, it gives up 26 horsepower to the V-6 it replaces but offers up 21 lb-ft more torque. Extracting maximum power from the new 2.0-liter requires 6500 rpm (versus 6200 for the V-6), but peak torque is available between 1500 and 4000 rpm. (The V-6 didn’t deliver max torque until 4900 rpm.) Honda says it will be able to run on regular-octane gasoline, although likely with reduced performance. Both engines employ variable valve timing and high-efficiency, low-inertia turbos for quicker spooling.

From Honda....

The Accord can also be equipped with a new 2.0-liter 16-valve DOHC direct-injected turbo with i-VTEC® valvetrain paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission or, in Sport trim, to the 10AT or an available 6MT. The new 2.0-liter turbo, sharing much of its design with the race-bred 2017 Civic Type R, produces 252 HP at 6,500 rpm and 273 lb.-ft. of torque from 1,500 to 4,000 rpm, compared to 278 HP at 6,200 rpm and 252 lb.-ft. at 4,900 rpm for the 3.5-liter V6 that it replaces.

Both turbocharged engines utilize a host of new technologies, including high-efficiency low-inertia turbos, variable valve timing, low-pressure-loss air intake and high-accuracy direct injection, to deliver immediate and powerful response along while still anticipated to receive top level fuel economy ratings. The two new automatic transmissions – the CVT for the 1.5-liter engine and new 10AT for the 2.0-liter engine – take greater advantage of available torque while maximizing quietness and efficiency during highway cruising. The redesigned CVT has an 11 percent lower ratio compared to the current version for more powerful launch performance, while the new 10AT is 22 lbs. lighter, has a 68 percent wider overall ratio range with a 43 percent lower first gear, and a 17 percent taller top gear compared to the current Accord's six-speed automatic.

http://hondanews.com/honda-automobiles/channels/accord-press-releases/releases/dramatic-design-of-reimagined-2018-honda-accord-signals-new-direction-for-america-s-retail-best-selling-midsize-sedan
    245 or so

This is a dangerous forum. I'm having 2nd thoughts about a 17 sport now lol... I may hold out for a 18 sport 6mt. At 28k I may be able to swing leasing one . Good stuff @ben tks
    That price is a guess but probably a good one for the 1.5.

edited September 2017
    What would someone's best guess on lease numbers 12 / 36 price look like on a 18 sport 6mt with me paying Taxes and MV fee's . Would $350 be in the ball park assuming a price of 28.5 or 29k
    Probably, but odds are initially, lease deals will be lousy on these. Maybe by Christmas they will get aggressive. I may be waiting them out!

john4545 said:

This is a dangerous forum. I'm having 2nd thoughts about a 17 sport now lol... I may hold out for a 18 sport 6mt. At 28k I may be able to swing leasing one . Good stuff @ben tks

You may already know this, but the 2.0 isn't going on sale until Nov. 20th. And even then we don't know if they are going to have manuals available. Manuals are almost always a challenge to find, because they sell in such small numbers that some dealers don't bother to stock them.

If you want one of the first ones, my guess for a 36 month lease on a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0 manual (if you can even find one) would be c. $350 a month, but that would be with c. $2500 due at signing.
    Ben I was having such a feel good day driving a 18 sport at 350 a month and probably my last $2500 remaining in savings. Do u work for the IRS by Chance :angry:
    edited September 2017
    I know they are different classes of car, but the 2018 Accord's 2.0 does have specs almost identical to the Audi A6's 2.0:

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-a6/trims-and-specs

2018 A6 FWD

Starting at $49,700

Horsepower (@ rpm)
    252 @ 5,000 - 6,000
    Torque (lb-ft @ rpm)
    273 @ 1,600 - 4,500
    Acceleration (0 – 60 mph)
    6.7 seconds

But the base model 2018 A6 weighs 3803 pounds, while the 2018 Accord 2.0 Sport is probably going to weigh about 3400 pounds. That 400 pound difference will likely mean that the Accord 2.0 will be a little bit faster than the Audi A6. Speed isn't everything, of course, but it can be kind of fun. And sometimes in passing situations it's nice to know it's there.
    edited September 2017
    A6 is a car my dad would drive . I see those older guys . Have plenty of $$, cant stand there wife's.. How great would that be passing by in my 18 Sport flipping them the bird...lol
    My boss has a 16 Audi S6 that I drove a few times . OMG What a piece of machinery. BMW who???
    I think that the 1.5l manual sport should be plenty fast. The Si is a hoot, and you are only talking about 10 HP less, and maybe 200#s more. Should be fine row your own!

edited September 2017
    stickguy said:

I think that the 1.5l manual sport should be plenty fast. The Si is a hoot, and you are only talking about 10 HP less, and maybe 200#s more. Should be fine row your own!

Agree.

Plus, if you put premium gas in it, you might get that 10 hp back....? Unlike the 2.0, which is related to but significantly different from the Type R 2.0, I think the 1.5 in the Accord is almost identical to the 1.5 in the Si. The main difference is that the Si recommends premium to get that extra power. My guess is if that you put premium in the Accord 1.5, the computer would sense that and give you a bit of an extra boost.

The key is weight reduction, which Honda has done significant work on for this generation....This is where Honda pulls a little bit away from the Ford Fusion or the VW Passat. The Fusion and Passat are both good cars, but they weigh a few hundred pounds more for comparable models—and that weight hurts mpg and acceleration.

"The 2018 Accord's new body structure is lighter and more rigid, utilizing 29 percent ultra-high-strength steel, the most extensive application of this weight-saving material in any current mass-produced Honda car. Overall, the new Accord employs 54.2 percent high strength steel (above 440 MPa). Key body features include the latest generation of Honda's Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure with crash stroke front frame, tailor-tempered rear frame members for improved crash-energy absorption, and the extensive use of structural adhesives for increased rigidity, cabin quietness and weight reduction. Total vehicle weight is down between approximately 110 to 176 pounds, depending on trim, while body torsional and bending rigidity are improved 32 and 24 percent, respectively, aiding ride quality, cabin quietness, and dynamic performance."

http://hondanews.com/honda-automobiles/channels/accord-press-releases/releases/dramatic-design-of-reimagined-2018-honda-accord-signals-new-direction-for-america-s-retail-best-selling-midsize-sedan
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

Agree.

Plus, if you put premium gas in it, you might get that 10 hp back....? Unlike the 2.0, which is related to but significantly different from the Type R 2.0, I think the 1.5 in the Accord is almost identical to the 1.5 in the Si. The main difference is that the Si recommends premium to get that extra power. My guess is if that you put premium in the Accord 1.5, the computer would sense that and give you a bit of an extra boost.

The key is weight reduction, which Honda has done significant work on for this generation....This is where Honda pulls a little bit away from the Ford Fusion or the VW Passat. The Fusion and Passat are both good cars, but they weigh a few hundred pounds more for comparable models—and that weight hurts mpg and acceleration.

"The 2018 Accord's new body structure is lighter and more rigid, utilizing 29 percent ultra-high-strength steel, the most extensive application of this weight-saving material in any current mass-produced Honda car. Overall, the new Accord employs 54.2 percent high strength steel (above 440 MPa). Key body features include the latest generation of Honda's Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure with crash stroke front frame, tailor-tempered rear frame members for improved crash-energy absorption, and the extensive use of structural adhesives for increased rigidity, cabin quietness and weight reduction. Total vehicle weight is down between approximately 110 to 176 pounds, depending on trim, while body torsional and bending rigidity are improved 32 and 24 percent, respectively, aiding ride quality, cabin quietness, and dynamic performance."

All great improvements. However, is an Accord somewhere between an A4 and A6 size wise? I would cross shop the A4 to the Accord, not the A6.

I'm curious to see if acceleration times are much different between the Honda and Audi A4.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

Agree.

All great improvements. However, is an Accord somewhere between an A4 and A6 size wise? I would cross shop the A4 to the Accord, not the A6.

I'm curious to see if acceleration times are much different between the Honda and Audi A4.
    The 2018 Accord is almost identical in exterior dimensions to the A6. In interior size, it not only is larger than the A4, but also, believe it or not, the A6. I think that's in part because the A6 is configured for four-wheel drive. Since the Accord doesn't bother with that, it gets a couple of more feet of interior space.
    A4 is alot smaller than Accord..

When I did the head to head on both 18 Audi6, and 17 Accord . The Accord beat the 6 in every size leg rm / head/ shoulder. Only rear head rm went to Audi by .3 of a inch.

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    A mid sized sedan with a 2.0L Turbo? I've had one since 2013.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    I feel like the Audi 6 series, for example, was designed as an S6, then they take stuff out until they get to an A6.
    That's a different level of engineering than the Accord and most other cars.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    should get something for the extra $20-25K price of admission.

The Audi A8 is due for a make over in 2019. A6 should be not to far behind.

edited September 2017
    Here are the first images of what some are guessing to be the new base model of the 2018 Accord, the LX. Up until the last couple of days we've only seen higher-end models, and mostly the top-of-the-line Touring. One of the questions that this little 1 minute video answers is whether all 2018 Accords would get the push-button transmission for the auto that we've seen so far. But this shows that the 1.5 turbo gets a traditional shifter. The pushbutton is reserved for the 2.0T with the 10-speed. The current LX has 16" tires, but it seems that the new LX gets 18" tires....The styling I guess is "bold," but it still also seems a little bit strange to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2XOUYNMEHQ