Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Acura TSX

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I know, it was just a bummer to see the car, that was so beautiful all marked up with swirls all over it! Seriously, I almost thought about going up to the guy, and asking what happened to your car? He would probably ask, what are you talking about..lol.

Anyway, not my car, but I think I could manage a black car. Carefully waxing it. You have to on a black car more so. I have seen people that have a new black car, and when they don't wax it, it looks more gray or looks as though there is a film on it. Its not as glossy. Silver or White is probably the best car to not show the swirl marks. I love silver, its everywhere, but I wouldn't be opposed to silver or white, I really like white.
  • iwantoneiwantone Member Posts: 52
    Can you tell me if the tsx is ok for a middle aged person? I don't really care for the new accord styling and I can't afford the acura tl. I don't have any young children to drive around and I don't have a big family. My youngest is 13 . The accord seems a little more mature and larger than I like. I have driven the accord and I am not inlove with it. To me if you are going to pay for something, then you should at least be pleased with your purchase. Besides the accord is on every road in my town.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I think the TSX is perfect for someone in your position. However, a couple of things to be mindful of before you purchase. First, there may be a V6 or a diesel option available in the next couple of years, in case you find those appealing. Secondly, the plastic screen covering the Nav screen gives off horrible reflection, to the point where it renders the nav un-readable. That, to me, is a deal-breaker.
    Just looking for the base level. I am thinking about a portable GPS. I plan on making a purchase the first part of the year and getting rid of my old accord ex. Thought about a V6 and the added power but I am just not feeling the accord. I think the tsx will be my choice. The tsx will have more pep than I am used to anyway.
  • laptevlaptev Member Posts: 18
    I have a Garmin 265WT that I absolutely love... but it is a hassle to hook up and disconnect every time I get in and out and out of the car. My wife has a nav built in to her Jeep and it is great to have it available all of the time.

On the other hand $3,100 seems like a big jump for the built in nav... is it worth it? I'm kind of getting tortured by this decision...

Also, I'm not worried about the v6 any time soon as I think gas will be over $4/gal in 1-2 years. Although the diesel would be very compelling... how much more does this usually add to the cost?
    "The tsx will have more pep than I am used to anyway.'

From my brief test drive, the 4 cyl should be adequate power for most folks, unless you climb big hills with a full load on a regular basis, or you're a real speed freak.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    "Can you tell me if the tsx is ok for a middle aged person?"

Unlike you, I'm not middle aged -- I seriously doubt that I'll live to see 120.

Either way, I've driven performance-oriented cars all my life & bought an '08 TSX back in March. I didn't want the nav (I'm very happy with my portables that I've used for years) & had to search hard to get one with a manual, but I was successful.

It's been a fine car so far, and I expect it to last a long time. I get ~27 mpg (a big jump up from my previous vehicle), and it has a number of useful features. I would have preferred a RWD car, and can tell the difference when I push it, but overall it's been a car I'm quite happy with.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    The nav system also comes with the backup camera, which, to me, may be more useful/desireable then the nav
  • jpdisarrojpdisarro Member Posts: 33
    The nav package (technology package) also includes the upgraded sound system. It seems that Acura is bundling more options with the technology package to entice more customers to upgrade.
    Has anyone purchased the acura care? Is it worth the extra dollars.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I am the proud owner of a 06 Milano red/ebony tsx w/nav 6MT tsx, bought new 11/17/06. It now has 67,000+problem free miles. I highly recommend it. My mom owns a 08 Honda accord v-6. I drove my tsx to my mom's house in NJ for Thanksgiving. I drove my mom back to NC in her accord. It is a nice car-see a lot of them on the roads. I prefer my tsx. I am above middle age.
    lol! Ya, it is perfect. I saw an older senior Citizen driving one, they had a Handicap sticker. She apparently thought it looked good.

Good for her, she didn't go and get some Buick, she got something to treat herself nice for the life she has lived. lol

I am 23, and I love the Accord, and I love the TSX. I would drive both. I am leaning towards the TSX because the base model lease is basically the same lease as an Accord these days.

Drive what you want, If you like it, if it works with your situation, then do it. Just because your older does not mean you go and get some car that is the size a street block. lol no offense. :) Treat yourself. I have leased 2 cars now, I don't need to, don't have to, but I do. I really don't treat myself to anything at the mall, or shop alot, mostly I'm busy, but when I get in my car, I then remember I treat myself to this.

We all should consider ourselves lucky.
  • ChunsterChunster Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

Just got the Acura TSX 09, and now I am regretting that I did not purchase the all weather mats and the mud gaurds. I tried to look for these but found a lot of sites do not have the custom fit for this model yet.

Has anyone found custom accessories that won't be dealer cost?

Thanks
    You might be able to contact someone at Handa.com and see if they have any in stock, even though they are not on their website yet. I called them awhile back, they were quite nice.
  • ChunsterChunster Member Posts: 2
    Ended up ordering from acurapartssuperstore and ordered the all weather mats, trunk tray and the splash gaurds from them. I'll let you know how the order processed when I receive the goods. So far the cheapest and it looks like oem parts.
  • MaryGoldberg55MaryGoldberg55 Member Posts: 1
    I BOUGHT A 2009 ACURA TSX FROM SPRINGFIELD ACURA I GOT A GREAT DEAL $-600 UNDER INVOICE "IT WAS EASY THE BEST PART IS ABOUT THE LOANER SERVICE THEY HAVE ... :)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    . . .THE BEST PART IS ABOUT THE LOANER SERVICE THEY HAVE. . .

I beg to differ. The best part is that you'll probably never need the loaner service they have.

I bought a TSX back in March, and all it's needed so far (~14,000 miles) is a couple of oil changes, which I did myself.

Enjoy your new car! Oh, and ALL CAPS isn't the best approach on the internet. It's interpreted as shouting, and most of us can hear just fine.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • ggs2ggs2 Member Posts: 18
    I am about to purchase a new tsx and would like some ideas regarding the safest cleaning products to use when washing this car.The color of the car is crystal black pearl. Some ideas about leather and wheel cleaners would also be appreciated.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    can't address the wheel & exterior products; but you can;t go wrong with Lexol cleaner & conditioner for the leather. It's been around for years, does a great job & is inexpensive. I buy mine in bulk at a local Tractor Supply Store.
    When washing a car, and especially a black car you will want to use minimal contact with the actual paint, as this increases your chances of swirls marks. I have never washed my cars by hand for that reason. I know some only do it this way. But, it takes time and care to not mark up the finish. Any little debri on the rag and you have a big swirl mark maker. I have always went to a high end touchless car wash, they are known around here for really good washes. They are very good. I get a wash, tire shine all in one run. I don't have any swirls either. The wheels really don't need any harsh chemicals if they are washed often. It also would not be bad to put a good coat of wax on them. It really repels the dirt, and washes off better.

I also use Lexol, it works so good! I can see why others like it. It really makes the leather feel new and plush. Its not all shiny and slick. It dries all soft. Put a couple coats on the seats, and you'll be good to go.
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    A tad bit off-topic but I've noticed that the rims scratch easily - if you just touch a curb, you get scratches. Can these be buffed out?
    I get all my service done by the acura dealer. I have also had use of their loaner cars which I was able to keep overnight. (not that it was necesary) I now have 67,000+ miles on my two year old 06 tsx. The dealer I take my car to for service also sells honda's and hyundai's and provides loaner cars for them also.
    Any rim out there is going to scratch when put against concrete or hard surface. Your car weighs thousands of pounds, put that to your rim, pushing into a rough surface and it will scratch. Its too bad. You can touch these up with a paint to make them less noticeable. It will not look so bad then.
  • yy394yy394 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a new TSX recently. The dealer said Acura cars only require oil/filter change every 5,000 miles. However, I also heard that I should bring my car for the 1st oil/filter change sooner. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    you should follow the maintenance minder. It lets you know the % of oil life left. When it get down to 15% it will show service due soon and a code of what service is due. When it gets to 5% it will show service due now. After it goes to 0% it will start showing miles past due. I had my first oil change at almost 7,000 miles. I now have almost 68,000 problem free miles.
    I never go by what the sticker says on my window, which states when to go in for an oil change. In fact I am already 1k over. I will wait awhile.
    the dealer I take my tsx to for service does not use those stickers. They said to follow the maintenance minder. I average between 600-650 miles for each 10% of oil life.
  • yy394yy394 Member Posts: 3
    I'd like to thank you all for giving me advice about how often to do oil/filter change.
    Very helpful...THANKS!
  • ihammerihammer Member Posts: 75
    I love driving my '09TSX, the seats are very comfortable and it's great to have the bluetooth feature. My car has about 2000 miles on it and I do have a few issues.
    1. I noticed shortly after I got the car is that the driver door unlock/lock device squeaks intermittently when being used both by key fob and door unlock button. I don't particularly want the door torn apart because I don't want to take the chance of damage, but I worry about the squeak turning into a non-functioning locking device.
    2. The cupholder cover is cockeyed - I closed it once and could not get it open by pushing on the release area. I finally got it open by carefully pushing on the back of it, but really it's non-functional. I am also worried that a tech might damage or scratch something in the console if they try to replace or fix it like they scratched the console in my '07 TSX while trying to install a cassette player.

3. The brakes have started to squeak intermittantly, this morning on exiting the garage and yesterday while making a gradual stop while going about 40mph.

4. The steering wheel makes a rubbing/grinding sound when being turned at slow speeds usually while trying to park or when leaving a parking space when many turns of the wheel are necessary.

Has anyone else had any of these problems with their 2009 TSX? Thanks for any input.
  • pras1pras1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2009 TSX w/ Tech Package in Dec 08 and did not face any of the above issue. Today morning my camera did not work on reversing the car but by afternoon it started working back.

Can anyone tell if automated car wash is suitable for black TSX 2009 or I shld only go for hand wash. I am not sure if the automated wash will leave blemishes on the car exterior?
    A good touchless car wash may be even better than a hand wash, for a black exterior finish. The problems with an automated car wash is it doesn't clean the wheels adequately; and if you don't wash regularly, one wash won't clean completely.
    Does anyone know when the new 2010 tsx will be on the lots? Also would I get a better deal on the 2009 tsx this summer?
    The 2010 wouldn't be out until September. You may get a better deal on the 2009 TSX, or any car for that matter, later in the year if the economy and the car industry continue to crash and burn.
    I know, that will help me out too, because I am wanting to either get the TSX or the Accord. But, I am stuck with an 08 GM car. It will be 1 year this spring on my lease, so perhaps I will see some light and be able to deal on getting out. Yes, I know the drill of leasing...lol. I always trade early, but a GM car, well that is a whole other animal. They may want my business enough to work a deal out. Worst comes to worse, I'll wait longer into the lease. I am growing to like the car, but really I am a Honda guy.
    "Yes, I know the drill of leasing...lol. I always trade early..."

You mean you go into every lease with the prior intention of getting out early? :surprise: The only model that I can think of where that might not cost you an arm and a leg is the MINI.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I did it with my 2004 TSX. Dealer gave me $2200 cash to turn it in 1 year early (3 year lease).
    Hmm...that's almost unheard of. I didn't think the TSX was ever in short supply. Maybe you had a particular color and/or configuration for which they had a waiting buyer? Anything unusual about the lease? Super-low residual? Or was it part of a deal to sell you another car, so they had some accounting leeway as to which side of the transaction to stick the $2200?
    When I lease a car, I usually don't go into it knowing that I'll be getting out before the term. But, with this GM car, I didn't want it, I had to choose a GM car last spring though. So I have an 08 Pontiac G6. I have grown to like it. Though, I want my Accord back. When I can get out without minimal problems, then I will do it. If it comes down to the last year of the lease to be able to do it, then so be it. Or, I do have a few that would be interested in taking it over. Although, the more garbage I hear about GM, I want out even more, why support them, when they are not willing to change.

When the economy was in better shape, and if I had kept my mileage lower on my 06 Accord, I would have gotten some cash to roll into the new lease deal. Doing that now would not be as possible. After 1yr or so, I was able to walk away from my accord without owing anything.

It just makes me a little irritated that I am not able to get my Honda back now, because the deals are quite attractive.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Just like normal financing, it all boils down to how much the car is worth vs. how much was still owed on the lease. The TSX held it's value very well and after 2 years, it was still worth around $22,000 (MSRP was $27,000).

I did not buy another car from them either. I just drove in cold and asked them if they wanted to buy my car. I bought it from them new and it was serviced by them exclusively, so they knew the car.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    That was then and this now - more specifically there's virtually no car today with which you could do that. And this is even more so for any domestic product.

But back to the TSX - in the DC area you can regularly see 08 TSXs w/10k miles from a dealer at $21K - the wholesale on those is like 16-17K. Honda/Acura will be very lucky to get the current 60% residual on today's leases.
    Is there really a danger in buying a first year redesign model? I just figured there's no perfect car so it really wouldn't matter. What are some of the pitfall for buying a first year redesign? Have 09 tsx buyers had consistent complaints? I know I hear a lot of people complaining about the 08 honda accord vcm , are they a lot of complaints like that for the 09 tsx?
    If there were any car that I would feel more confident about buying within its first year, it would be a Honda product. The engine is the same as before, but slightly revised. Different body, and there will be a few issues with a few cars that will need to be recalled and fixed. The TSX has been out for awhile though. I believe they came out last spring. I have thought the same thing, we all think this way. But, I would have no problem buying a honda on its first design. Though, they have had issues with the Accord VCM, however, it does not mean it is the "norm" of the Accord. Apparently they have worked to getting that resolved for the 09. Now, if it is a Chrysler or a GM product on its first year, well, I would be a little hesitant to do that.

There is no perfect car, try looking at the forums here about the new TSX. Read about what others have experienced, this will make you feel better. If there are issues, they certainly will post it. Just do your research, drive it. If you are like me, I take forever making decisions, its bad...lol. Everyone is like... just make a decision already..lol

I think you picking a Honda product is a step in the right direction. You will love it!
    I loved my Accord!! Unfortunately forced into a GM product now. I would love to get an Accord or TSX.
    Well, one known issue with the TSX is the design of the plastic pane that covers the nav screen. Under sunlight, it reflects the pattern of the surrounding dash, making the nav display all but illegible. Most people would probably not consider this a major defect, but it is a flaw nonetheless, and it is an example of a 1st-year issue that would likely be rectified later in the model cycle.
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    I bought a TSX in its first model year. I was satisfied with the car. I sold it after moving to DC because the service departments up here (Radley and Acura of Chevy Chase) were AWFUL.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the car in a "redesign" year.
    I know what you mean about lousy service departments. Luckily for me I do not have to deal with the local acura dealer (only for the annual state inspection.) I still get my 06 tsx serviced at Lehigh Valley Acura in Pa even tho I now live in NC. I get it done when I am in the area visiting family and friends.
    That would be the case with me, If I had a TSX, I would not take to my dealer here, their bad, I would drive an hour to get anything done.
  • wxman291wxman291 Member Posts: 4
    Greetings All,

I will be in the market for a new vehicle in the next year or so, and have focused on the new TSX or the Accord Coupe. I took the TSX for a test drive, and was very pleased with the 6 spd manual (after driving my uncomfortable '99 Legacy for the last 10 years). However I am from a northern climate, and frequently drive through unplowed snow. I am a little worried about that flimsy looking egg-crate grill in the lower portion of the front end on the TSX getting damaged when I have to drive through higher snow, snow drifts, or drifts created by snowplows. I realize the updated version has been out only a short time, but anyone have any experience with this potential problem?

My wife has an MDX, and we frequently use the local Acura dealer. They are great (Acura of Brookfield, WI).
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    There will be a v6 TSX for 2010. Production will start in August. 2009 TSX production will end this month.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    ...and you know this how?
    I have read it on the other acura sites-the source is anonymous so to me just a rumor at this time. I will wait until Acura confirms what they are planning.
This discussion has been closed.