Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Sienna Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tilimiltilimil Member Posts: 4
    Should I expect to pay the $575 delivery charge if I have them get a car from about 2 hours away? I didn't know if it was customary to pay delivery or if they were trying to tack things on.

How about a car off their lot? Should I expect to pay it then?
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    It is a charge for delivery from port to dealer and not from factory to dealer. No negotiation on this charge. We all have to pay.
  • charliecharlie Member Posts: 2
    I live in Austin, TX and looking Sienna XLE. I wouldn't mind driving up to Dallas or Houston if dealer offers a good deal. I'm considering Honda Odyssey also but I am leaning to Sienna.
    Can anyone tell me which dealer is giving a good deal? How much below or above invoice price?
    Thanks, Charlie
  • bkb2003bkb2003 Member Posts: 14
    I am about to buy the XLE limited with the HO package ( Navigation + DVD Entertainment ) + carpet floor mats. The price I got was $37200 + $599 + 20 + 6% Tax.

Is this a good price. I see that there are others in southern california who seem to have done better than this. But I live in Atlanta, GA and this is the best that I have been able to get so far. Is there anyone in the southeast who have gotten a better deal. Let me know ASAP as I have to decide tomorrow. The van just arrived at the dealership today.

Thanks,
  • andurilanduril Member Posts: 56
    bkb2003 writes (#2631):
    I am about to buy the XLE limited with the HO package ( Navigation + DVD Entertainment ) + carpet floor mats. The price I got was $37200 + $599 + 20 + 6% Tax.

Is this a good price.

My reply:

It's very high, IMO. Lets look at how I would structure an offer using Edmunds' pricing information:

MSRP
      $34,480 base price (XLE Limited)
        3,630 HO
          196 CF
          540 destination (to my area)
      $38,846 total

Edmunds'invoice
       $30,685 base price
         3,018 HO
           119 CF
           540 destination
       $34,362 total invoice

You need to substitute the destination charge for your ZIP code. Now,

3% x (Edmunds' invoice - $540) = $1015
       4% x (Edmunds' invoice - $540) = $1353

Max offer (your goal should be to buy at less than this price):

$34,362 + $1,353 = $35,715 (Edmund's invoice + 4%)

(Use 3% if you want - your decision.) Plus sales tax, license, and documentation fees for your locality.

Note that I work from invoice, NOT MSRP. Your salesman will, too, if you do.

Your don't say what the $599 the dealer wants is for, but note that I don't include it or any other fees in my max offer computation; 3-4% above Edmunds' is a reasonable offer, even on a vehicle that's selling well (my opinion) and should be high enough that your saleman doesn't try to work you over miscellaneous costs, like a regional advertising fee.

If your salesman (or his sales manager) won't budge, increase your offer slightly, say $100, but only once. It doesn't hurt to remind him - regardless of how far apart you really are - that you are so far apart in price it seems pointless to continue and you don't intend to waste his time or yours with offers and counteroffers.

If he says he could sell the vehicle for more than your offer (very probably true), remind him that you are making an offer now. "If you don't sell it to me today, will you be the salesman who sells it tomorrow?"

If he says "Let's split the difference", refuse. He will in all likelihood sell the vehicle to you at your price.

You should be treated well. If you aren't, I suggest you take your business elsewhere.

Buying a vehicle can be fun. The pressure is really on the salesman. Good luck and keep us informed how you do.
  • corpuscorpus Member Posts: 37
    Champion in Corpus Christi has 4 on the lot. One has leather, but I'm not sure if it's an XLE. All of them have Gulf States Toyota packages--lots of little things, like fabric protection and tire warranties, that add up to a lot of cost for nothing.

My recommendation: Take the Edmund's invoice price for the package you want, add $1,000, and make an offer at Red McCombs in San Antonio via their website. They gave me a good price with little hassle. They will match it to the regional allocation, and you can take delivery in a few weeks. I didn't finish the deal with them, because I'm buying from Champion in CC at about the same price.
    Thanks anduril. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide a detailed response.

Let me give you a brief background...

I started off by asking for 3% over invoice to the dealers in my area and rather than me walking out, the dealers pretty much walked out and stopped even calling me. I guess, the Toyota dealers have become arrogant because the sienna is selling so well now. Most of the dealers around Atlanta area are now quoting a maximum of $200~$700 less than MSRP for the XLE Limited.

The only reason, I am able to get ~$1600 less than MSRP is because I am buying it thru a wholesale program relationship that my employer has with Toyota. There is only one Toyota dealer in the Atlanta area who is part of this program and their wholesale sales person was able to give me the $1600 less than MSRP price.

Before I was aware of this special program that my employer has with Toyota, I had gone to the same dealership and spoken to a sales guy and they were willing to give only $500 less than MSRP. I even tried to go thru a Auto Broker and he was also able to get only $300 less than MSRP.

Lastly, the destination charge of $575 is already included in the $37200 -- price. The additional $599 is the documentation/admin fees that this dealership charges ( pretty common for all toyota dealers that I have dealt with in Atlanta area -- some may charge a little less but generally in the same ballpark ) and I was told that that is standard and non-negotiable.

Thanks..
  • oem1oem1 Member Posts: 4
    We took delivery of our 8-pass LE last week. We originally ordered an 8 pass LE w/one of the DVD packages, but after waiting 6 mos, we decided Toyota's just not making enough of them. So we settled on an 8 pass w/the safety pack (airbags, 4whl discs, trac. We found one in stock at a dealer. But we told them we wouldn't take it w/out a dvd system.

Motorworld of Wilkes-Barre did an awesome job of installing a 7" Eigervision monitor where the rear-audio sits. And they put a BOSS dvd player in the flip-down box below the dash. The install, I must say, looks as if was done at the factory. They even installed a port for the kids GameCube.

The Eigervision screen has a TV receiver and infrared port, so our three kids could watch their dvds -- with their headphones on while we listen to Albert King up front. The Eigervision monitor has a 3-yr warranty, and the quality is really good. It's a TFT LCD monitor, allowing excellent picture anywhere you sit. The Toyota installed monitor, I'm told, is not TFT.

I would highly recommend a good aftermarket install if you can't get a Sienna with a factory installed DVD system. It's one of the nicest things about our neat new van.
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    I'm reading stories of offers for the Limited AWD and package HO going for $35,700. Can anyone tell me if they were offered the limited FWD /w HF package for $35,500 would they take it? Is this a reasonable offer? Sounds very high to me by about 2k? Any comments?
  • chiawchiaw Member Posts: 92
    $1600 of MSRP is not bad. Although I was able to get $1800 off on mine in N.Cal. So far, they can only get about 1 limited per week. So supply is much lower than other sienna, which you can get a much better deal.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Anduril, in a perfect world your example would work fine. However, this particular vehicle (XLE Limited with the HO package is very rare to find) In my region only 10 a month are allocated to dealers in 5 states. You either have to be very lucky or be at the right time at the right place. We sold one last night at $1000.00 off MSRP as I offered all Siennas in stock for that discount to my internet customers. This vehicle had been reserved for another customer who got tired of waiting and decided to go a different way. Some happy Air Force Sergeant is driving it today.
                        : )
                        Mackabee
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    Davenow, we paid 35,000 for XLE Ltd with FWD, HV package, preferred package inc. mats, cargo net, and 2 extra earphones. That was 2300 off of msrp, and considering we had to wait only 10 days for the va, I think we did well. Marlene
    in #2634 bkb2003 writes:

I started off by asking for 3% over invoice to the dealers in my area and rather than me walking out, the dealers pretty much walked out and stopped even calling me. I guess, the Toyota dealers have become arrogant because the sienna is selling so well now. Most of the dealers around Atlanta area are now quoting a maximum of $200~$700 less than MSRP for the XLE Limited.

My response: Sorry to hear it. If it were my purchase, I'd wait until there were more dealer inventory to buy.

The transaction strategy I outlined in #2632 works. Since 1982 I've used it and Edmunds' pricing to buy four new vehicles from different dealers in the San Francisco/San Jose/Sacramento areas - two Volvos, each of which were selling well at the time of my purchase, a Jeep Cherokee (factory order), and now my wife's new LE 7 (see #2623).

I didn't run from one dealer to another and never tried to play one against another in any transaction. Most, but not all, of the dealers I contacted would take such deals and all treated me well.
  • morimori Member Posts: 1
    Hi tdm/68,
    I'm looking for a good deal in SoCal. Could you please pass on the Fleet Manager's name and location? Thanks
    in #2638 mackabee writes:
    Anduril, in a perfect world your example would work fine. However, this particular vehicle (XLE Limited with the HO package is very rare to find) In my region only 10 a month are allocated to dealers in 5 states. You either have to be very lucky or be at the right time at the right place. We sold one last night at $1000.00 off MSRP as I offered all Siennas in stock for that discount to my internet customers. This vehicle had been reserved for another customer who got tired of waiting and decided to go a different way. Some happy Air Force Sergeant is driving it today.

My response:

And he overpaid. If a vehicle is in that much demand, I'd wait to buy (until the manufacturer's production matched demand better).

The transaction strategy I outlined in #2632 has worked well for me. I've used it in four different vehicle purchases since 1982, including the purchase last weekend of an LE 7 at 2% over dealer invoice (see #2623) - nearly $2100 below MSRP (far better than the $1000 standard discount you offer your internet customers).

That "deal" was not an aberration. That same day I offered it first to another dealer - the one closest to where I live - with a similarly equipped LE. The sales staff tried to work me with offers and counteroffers and TO'd me twice to different sales managers. I walked when I was already strong in my offer at $600 over his invoice price, we were $95 apart, and the second sales manager entered the "negotiations".

That dealer also tried to work me with the four-square system, which I consider unethical.

Within two hours my wife - at home with our two small children - got a phone call from one of the sales managers, who told her I could purchase the vehicle at my final offer if I came back that day. He also asked her for my cell phone number. She refused to give to him and I didn't return his call. I took my business elsewhere.
  • bosco9bosco9 Member Posts: 16
    I need some help in knowing where to buy a Sienna XLE. I am willing to pay 4% over invoice for an AWD with Package #1 and #4. I live in Grand Junction.Has anyone found a Dealer in Colorado willing to do this? If so....please tell me. Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some people have a car on its last legs and can´t walk, so to speak. But if you can wait, walking is often the best thing to do. There´ll be another car in the showroom in a day or so.

Steve, Host
    How did he overpay? Apparently you missed the part in my post about only 10 units per month for 5 states in this configuration. He was happy with the deal and didn't play the "games" that apparently you did to get your van.
          Mackabee
    in #2644 steve_ HOST writes:
    Some people have a car on its last legs and can´t walk, so to speak. But if you can wait, walking is often the best thing to do. There´ll be another car in the showroom in a day or so.

My response: Right and thanks!

I've used Edmund's price guides in every new car purchase I've ever made, going back over 20 years. I've generally had an easy time with each - perhaps because I live in a major metropolitan area (San Francisco/San Jose) where competition is keen - even when the vehicles I wanted to buy were selling well and inventory on dealers' lots seemed tight. Clean and simple transactions, no rounds of back-and-forth offers and counteroffers.

Kudos also to your "Confessions of a Car Salesman" on the Tips & Advice page at this Web site. Informative and fun reading.
    I am told that since in the southeast ( AL,GA,NC, SC, FL) all local toyota dealers get their vehicles from one distributor ( southeast toyota ), the invoice price quoted in Edmunds is not valid.

If so, what is the correct invoice price? I am specifically interested in the Toyota XLE Limited.

One dealer also told me that the invoice price is typically $600 to $1000 more in the southeast based on the vehicles. For eg: on the Toyota Camry's the invoice price may be $600 more than edmunds price and on the popular Sienna's the invoice price would be closer to $800-$1000 more than the edmunds invoice price. Is that true?
  • mjtaysdadmjtaysdad Member Posts: 9
    I got a fantastic deal from Dry Ridge Toyota (in Northern Kentucky -- about 25 minutes south of downtown Cincinnati) on a FWD XLE with Package #14, mats and sill protectors, AND a 7" Rosen Clearvue II DVD all-in-one system with an input plate for RCA connection plus a 115V outlet. The sale price was $32,600. Additionally, they gave me $350 more for my trade than any other dealer around. In fact, Toyota of Cincinnati was the next closest price and they were a total of $2100 more than the deal I got. I did the standard "fax attack" and faxed what I wanted (along with a description of my trade-in) to over 22 dealers across three states. I gave them an account of my best deal to date and asked them to submit bids to beat my deal. About 6 dealers responded, most did not. Dry Ridge Toyota crushed all their deals! I picked up the car the day before Thanksgiving. It is exactly what we wanted.....Salsa Red with Fawn interior. It took about 3.5 weeks -- they just changed the color on an incoming van they already had on allocation. Then, I got an excellent deal from their finance guy to boot...3.15% for 60 months or 4.05% for 72! I have bought many cars in the past, but this was by far my best experience. If anyone is interested, drop me an e-mail and I will give you my salesman's name and number. By the way, on Wednesday when I picked up the vehicle, they had about six Sienna's in stock and ready for delivery -- a few of each trim model if I remember right -- I would be someone could get a incredible deal on one of those vans.
    in #2649 mjtaysdad writes:

I got a fantastic deal from Dry Ridge Toyota (in Northern Kentucky -- about 25 minutes south of downtown Cincinnati) on a FWD XLE with Package #14, mats and sill protectors, AND a 7" Rosen Clearvue II DVD all-in-one system with an input plate for RCA connection plus a 115V outlet. The sale price was $32,600....It is exactly what we wanted.....took about 3.5 weeks....I have bought many cars in the past, but this was by far my best experience....By the way, on Wednesday when I picked up the vehicle, they had about six Sienna's in stock and ready for delivery -- a few of each trim model if I remember right -- I would be someone could get a incredible deal on one of those vans.

My response:

I bet someone could, too, and congratulations!! Edmund's invoice on a comparably-equipped XLE with factory-installed DVD (pkg #16) to my area (San Francisco/Sacramento) is $31,083. Using that as a comparison, I estimate you paid about 5% over Edmund's invoice.

Not bad, not bad at all, and about $2600 below MSRP for an XLE with pkg #16.

Yes, you really can get a good deal on a vehicle that's selling well (exactly my point in #2623 and #2632).
  • gao_meigao_mei Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

Signed a thanksgiving deal for this vehical - XLE Limited AWD with HO (DVD+NAV) for $36924 that also includes $540 destination charge. My total price is

$36924 + $125 (doc) = $37049

alomost $4000 below MSRP.

Got a deal from a dealer in NH who was holding a 4 hr thanksgiving sale and selling Siennas at invoice prices.

I noticed their invoice for XLE lmt AWD is almost $700 more than Edmundss price, which he told me it was because it has extras included such as 2 wireless headphone, wheel locks, etc.

Is this true? But I think I got a good deal and my friend bought a LE for almost $2500 below MSRP.

I now have to wait for 10 weeks, and I have some concerns over delivery date. Is this deal too good to be true?
    in #2651 gao_mei writes:

Signed a thanksgiving deal for this vehical - XLE Limited AWD with HO (DVD+NAV) for $36924 that also includes $540 destination charge. My total price is

$36924 + $125 (doc) = $37049

alomost $4000 below MSRP.

...I noticed their invoice for XLE lmt AWD is almost $700 more than Edmundss price....

...I think I got a good deal and my friend bought a LE for almost $2500 below MSRP.

...Is this deal too good to be true?

My response:

I also compute the selling price as $700 (less than 2%) over Edmunds' invoice. That's excellent!! And no NH sales tax?? Wow!! Why do I live in CA!

Your friend probably did very well, too (a few percent over invoice).

In any event, perhaps enough of us in different parts of the US have gotten sufficiently good concessions on Sienna prices that Edmunds should revise its TMV prices on these vehicles. TMV = MSRP is VERY misleading.

How about it, steve_HOST?
  • fbattlefbattle Member Posts: 40
    Has anyone been able to negotiate a deal on a Sienna in Austin that is LESS THAN MSRP?
  • mcpguymcpguy Member Posts: 2
    We just picked up our LE8 with pckg #1 (AM), mats, and mudguards. We paid $24,750 (excluding sales tag and state tag fee) which is $1275 under EDMUNDS MSRP. I was told by several dealers when quoting people in FL having recently gotten $1500 to $1800 off MSRP on LE's that those prices were more discounted due to them getting more options and high pckgs such as DVD, 10spr stereo, alloys, leather etc. Multiple dealers told me, here is my price for the LE (around $1000 off MSRP routinely (all dealer fees included)) and that I could have all the option packages I wanted for Invoice pricing. Therefore, if I had "loaded her up" I could have gotten more off MSRP. We did not need the options other than what we got. I also only had one dealer tell me I had to get the Toyogaurd from him which I was also unwilling to pay for.

Here is what I was offered:
    For an LE8 with pckg #1 and floormats (mudguards thrown in at one dealer as already prepped that way)

PRICES INCLUDED ALL FEES EXCEPT TAX and TAG

Stewart Toyota (North Palm Beach) - $24775 - Awesome Internet Sales - Bought here and would again. Agreed to price via email, p-up and pay in 1 hr, and no surprises. Bought my Sienna here from LW as it was in stock.

Gettel Toyota (Bradenton) - $25,092 - Clear communication via the web; price included delivery to my door (200 miles away); could have picked up and saved $100. Order needed; not in stock. Others in this forum have bought here with positive reports.

Maroone Toyota (W. Ft. Lauderdale)- $24,745 - Best response time and very straight forward and best Internet pricing. Would have bought from JR here but only had model in stock w/ more options than I wanted. Would have had to order and wait 2 weeks. Would have included lojack (tracks stolen cars) for $150 which retails for $600.

Toyota of Orlando - $24,900 - Big dealership; volume; recommended once on this forum. They had my model/color in stock (Internet sales group), but only had it with Toyogaurd. Quoted $24,400 until I asked if that was all fees. Then they said, must add $500 fee for I don't know or even care what for a total of $24,900. I would have driven 2 1/2hrs to get it from them if they could have come down to compensate for the unnecessary Toyogaurd, but that was their best price.

These were the four dealerships who were the most competitive and/or respectable in Toyota car sales in our SE Florida region that I found. Every one of these dealerships came down in price between $100 and $500 in price from their first quote. I followed up the first quote to my assigned Internet sales person with details call or email of recent pricing of members of this forum with similar outfitted models to get the further reductions.

Oh yeah...WE LOVE THE VAN !!!
    I would have waited the two weeks, saved $5.00 bucks and gotten the Lo-jack for $150.00. As hot as these vans are and living in South Florida, one of the highest areas for stolen vehicles other than California, that L0-Jack is going to come in handy!
                 ; )
                 Mackabee
    Can anyone provide feedback on what is the correct invoice price for the XLE Limited FWD in the Atlanta area? My dealer tells me that the edmunds invoice price is not valid as all dealers in the southeast get their vehicles from one distributor who gets it from Toyota. The distributor adds his own markup.

Thanks in advance..
  • southchickiesouthchickie Member Posts: 1
    We're currently in a Four Runner, but with two munchkins under three, looking longingly at the Sienna. Here's the deal I've currently cooked with our local (central NC) dealer - '04 XLE Limited AWD in Arctic Frost with tow package for $34,500, plus $360 tax, $45 plate transfer and $269 recording...for a total of $35,174.

The van doesn't have the DVD we want, but we will put that in after we close this deal (at cost, out of pocket).

I was feeling good about it, but after reading some of the deals here...I'm having serious doubts.

BTW - what's up with the $220 charge for the "special" arctic frost paint?? I asked at three dealerships and no one gave me a good answer.

Thanks in advance.
  • ycwpaycwpa Member Posts: 4
    What's the lowest price anyone has negotiated on a 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD with the HO Package? Dealership name, city, and state? Thanks. I look forward to your responses.
  • want_siennawant_sienna Member Posts: 3
    I got my LE8 with option7 last week. I love it :)
    The Sienna or any other Toyota with White pearl paint are the only vehicles that have an added charge from the manufacturer for the special paint.
                    Mackabee
    What's the lowest price anyone has negotiated on a 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD with the HO Package? Dealership name, city, and state? Thanks. I look forward to your responses.
    What's the lowest price anyone has negotiated on a 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD with the HO Package? Dealership name, city, and state? What would be considered a good deal on a XLE Limited AWD with the HO Package? Thanks. I look forward to your responses.
  • ilanabbilanabb Member Posts: 2
    Alas, I found out that our car will need major repairs. We have decided to go for it and buy hopefully a Sienna. Reading all the posts the past few months I have found the availability in NY/Nj to be sparse. I know Fitzmall has LE7's for 24,745 and LE 8's for 25,777 (plus taxes and tags). Are these reasonable prices?
  • farmer64farmer64 Member Posts: 5
    ilanabb -- we need to know what option package you are talking about in order to give you an idea of what is reasonable (some packages add as much as $3-4k to the MSRP).

I assume they are probably quoting you the price for an LE7 with the AM package (package 1) and floormats -- this seems to be the lowest priced LE that is commonly available. MSRP for this model/package (including the destination charge) is $25,806. Note that the AM package is relatively low frills (trip computer/homelink/rear seat audio).

So, if this the model we are talking about, your quote is about $1,000 under MSRP. Not bad, but not the lowest folks have quoted on this board. I was able to buy that model for $1,500+ under MSRP here in the Boston area.

-Chris
  • rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    Hi,

Looking to see what current wait list is for a Sienna LE. Are certain models/options more readily available than others?

I have a lease that ends in March, so want to potentially plan for placing an order if wait list is long.

Thanks

Rick
    in #2665 ilanabb writes:
    ...We have decided to go for it and buy hopefully a Sienna. Reading all the posts the past few months I have found the availability in NY/Nj to be sparse. I know Fitzmall has LE7's for 24,745 and LE 8's for 25,777 (plus taxes and tags). Are these reasonable prices?

My response:

Please reread my post #2632 on how to structure an offer for a new vehicle. You should be able to buy what you want - even something with limited dealer inventory and selling well - for only a few percent above Edmund's invoice (not including sales tax, license, and documentation fees). I was able to (post #2623).

When you work from invoice (as you always should, rather than MSRP), you may need to reconcile some charges on the dealer's invoice that Edmunds' pricing does not account for, like an advertising fee. Here's what Edmunds says about these charges (in Step 8 of "10 Steps to Buying a New Car" on the Tips and Advice page at this Web site):

"In some areas of the country, dealers have costs that don't show up on Edmunds.com invoice prices. This means the Edmunds.com invoice price of the car you are researching might not exactly match the dealer's invoice. Don't panic — and don't begin making accusations. Edmunds.com can't track all regional fees, such as advertising costs. So, as a rule of thumb, consider the charges on the dealer's invoice to be nonnegotiable. However, if extra fees are written into the contract (such as "D&H" or "Administrative Costs") which seem bogus or redundant, ask to have them removed, or say you will take your business to another dealership."
  • lando622lando622 Member Posts: 51
    Thank you everyone for the great info and points of contact in the northern VA/metro DC area. I just ordered my Sienna from Miller Toyota in Manassas, VA, and wanted to share my purchase info.

I ordered the XLE in Arctic Frost Pearl/Fawn Leather with option package 16, wheel locks, floor mats and auto-dimming mirror. MSRP for this configuration is $36,019 (including special color $220, mats $196, wheel locks $59, auto-dimming mirror $199), and my purchase price was $33,086. Total price will add in VA tax (3%; $998.22), Dealer’s business License Tax (.017% or $56.25), tag fee ($54.50), and the dealer processing fee of $188.

I normally negotiate the dealer processing fee out, but got the dealer to add in the auto-dimming mirror with installation and let the proc fee stand. This was a fair compromise for me, especially since this dealer’s previous offer was $1900 above our final agreed amount, and I am getting the exact vehicle I (and my wife) wanted with no compromises.

Invoice on this set-up is approximately $31,400 (figuring ~ $30 for the wheel locks). Adding the purchase price and doc fee together, I figure that I paid 6% over invoice ($1874), and $2745 below MSRP.

I wasn’t looking to fight down to the last dime, but was firm on a couple points in arriving at a deal that the dealer and I could both walk away from satisfied. I lost the opportunity to get the same vehicle in Blue Mirage (our second choice color) a few days before from another dealer when we couldn’t iron out the auto-dimming mirror add-in, and I thought I’d missed an opportunity over a “lousy” $200. It all worked out in the end as we ended up with the vehicle we wanted at a price we felt comfortable with. I haven’t worked that much over invoice in the past, but I’ve never tried to get such an in-demand vehicle.

Our Sienna is scheduled to be built next week and delivered either Christmas week or the week after. A little schedule slide would be acceptable now that the major hassle is over.

One extra benefit is that the dealer that came through with this deal is 2 miles from our home, so we can take advantage of the “Dealer Appreciation Plan” which includes:
    “Six-Lube, Oil and Filter Change services for $8.95 each, $15 Parts Center Gift Certificate, Two-Free VA State Inspections to use anytime, Four-Overnight Rental cars for $9.95 each to use anytime, Two-Free Rental Cars for major services, Two-"$50 Off" coupons for your 30,000 and 60,000 mile services, Plus, on your next vehicle purchase, make your very best deal and after the paper work is completed, present the Vehicle Discount Coupon and receive $200, Plus, on your next vehicle purchase, make your very best deal and after the paper work is completed, present the Trade-In Coupon and receive $200 more for your trade, Plus, on your next vehicle purchase, receive a $200 Discount on any Vehicle Service Agreement, and Five Coupons for 15% off any Over-The-Counter-Parts purchase.”
  • kinctkinct Member Posts: 59
    In central CT (Hartford/Manchester area), there are plenty of Siennas available - yes, sitting in the lots... I have seen more of the expensive ones (XLE, XLE Ltd) and fewer of the inexpensive models (CE, LE) though.

Lynch Toyota in Manchester was pretty arrogant on pricing in July (pre-recall) when I spoke with them. Basically MSRP, _maybe_ we can get you a few hundred off MSRP....

Hartford Toyota I didn't deal with much on pricing, but they seemed more willing to deal. Just as I was getting ready to start working on them, another dealer (Toyota of Norwich) accepted my offer (850 over invoice). Don't know the availability there.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you are very particular (colors, packages), you probably will be better off ordering ahead. Just negotiate with every dealer in a reasonable radius (fax/email your offer). Don't expect anything radical, they're not desperate... But you can certainly pay less than MSRP (though I don't doubt that some will try to convince you to pay MSRP). Also look across state borders. Some Mass. dealers were also VERY willing to deal, I just dropped the conversations relatively early.
  • bosco9bosco9 Member Posts: 16
    I purchased an artic frost AWD XLE with Package $17, plus dual port towing package,carpet mats, auto dimming mirror, wireless headphones yesterday. The MSRP was $35,987.00, and I traded in a 2001 Tahoe with an actual wholesale value of $24,500.I paid a difference of $8500.00, including all dealer fees.In western Colorado the XLEs are few to none...I have only seen one other XLE here.This one just happened to be my first color choice, which of course is a $220.00 add on.The van actually changes color during the day, depending on whether the sun is shining, etc. Anyhow, I got a great deal if you calculate the figures. It was not an easy process, but the dealer and I finally negotiated a price. I had done my homework, and knew the invoices, etc.Tahoes are plentiful here, and dealers are just about giving away left over 2003s, so that did affect the value of mine. You have to consider that when you have a trade that is not in great demand. BTW, I would reccomend the dealer and salesman to anyone....just email me privately.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I can share my shopping experience (price paid, sales reps info, etc)if you like to take a road trip to MA. I got a good deal here in MA after months of research and shopping. Dealers are still asking for MSRP or no more than $1000 off here. They still think they are selling gold. My LE-7 with pk #7 is coming this weekend. You can have everything done by internet and email. We agreed the price after few emails. And I went to the dealer to sign papers.
  • gordy6gordy6 Member Posts: 14
    In central CT, I have noticed there are many Sienna's sitting on dealers lots, most of them the CE and LE (7 passenger). There seems to be a shortage of XLE's. The following is the research I have done on area dealers (and some in other states):

Hartford Toyota - have many Sienna's in stock, mostly LE's. Willing to negotiate under MSRP, just not sure how much. Their website's inventory is kept up to date.

Middletown Toyota - have many Sienna's in stock, mostly CE & LE. Still asking MSRP, however, many of the CE's & LE's have been on their lot a while so may be able to negotiate.

Stephen's Toyota (Bristol, CT) - have limited Sienna's in stock. Will give you their low internet price which is about 600 - 750 below MSRP.

Lynch Toyota (Manchester, CT) - seem to have LE's and CE's in stock. Still firm on MSRP.

Gale Toyota (Enfield, CT) - not many in stock. Won't deal on the in stock vehicles, but were willing to negotiate on ordered vehicles with a wait of 6 - 8 weeks. Never found out how much they would discount as I wasn't willing to wait 6 - 8 weeks.

Toyota of Wallingford - not many in stock. Firm on MSRP and above (I would stay clear of this dealer...dealer said I was luck they would only charge me MSRP and not the market premium)

Toyota of Colchester - not many in stock. Willing to negotiate on ordered vehicles, but not sure how much. Again, I didn't want to wait 6 - 8 weeks.

Toyota North (Mt. Kisco, NY) - not many Sienna's in stock...Tell you over the phone to come in and they will deal, however, when you get there, it is strictly MSRP.

Motorworld (Wilkes-Barre, PA) - not many Sienna's in stock because of the business sent to them via this message board. Were offering $1,500 off MSRP, but may be less now. Very nice people at this dealership, just too far away for me.

Hope this information is helpful.
  • ilanabbilanabb Member Posts: 2
    I know that Toyota of the Bronx has a bunch of LEs in stock and are planning to get in more. Don't know about pricing.
  • bellastellanjbellastellanj Member Posts: 1
    Purchased (in the state of Louisiana)a 2004 Sienna XLE including the extras of:

All-in-One DVD System with Inverter
    Nightvision Mirror Upgrade
    Running Boards
    Rear Mudguards
    Carpet Mat Set w/Door Still Protectors.

Paid $29,300.00 total (does not include tax, title, registration) the price we paid is $1,600.00 over the *dealers* invoice amount.

What are your thoughts?
  • boricualatinaboricualatina Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered my sienna - Green 5336 with BW. expected a 3 or so month wait but it is supposed to arrive the end of this month. I think they have a few that expected to arrive that are still available. If anyone is looking for a sienna I had a great experience at Wellesley Toyota thru the Internet Manager. SHe was great, straight forward, no games and got a great deal. I believe they have other models that are available.
  • rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    Thanks for all of the info! Need to start test driving and working the dealers. Will let the board know as I get closer to negotiations and purchase.

Rick
  • digital7digital7 Member Posts: 2
    I have recieve a quote for an XLE Package #1(CP) for $26,900. Other Dealers are saying this deal is to good to be true and are warning of a bait and switch game or unexpected add on fees when it comes time to make the deal.
      The Dealership with the $26,900 quote is Sport City Toyota in Dallas. Other Dealers will not go under $28,000 for this vehicle.

Has anyone had a dealer treat them like the other dealers are warning of?
    Should I be worried about this possibility or are the other dealers trying to use scare tactics to win my business?

Your input would be appreciated
    What's the lowest price anyone has negotiated on an XLE Limited AWD with the HO Package? Dealership name, city, and state? Joseph Toyota in Cincinnati, OH is offering to sell me one for $38,500. What's considered a good deal? Thanks I'm looking forward to your responses.
    in #2680 digital7 writes:
    "I have recieve a quote for an XLE Package #1(CP) for $26,900. Other Dealers are saying this deal is to good to be true and are warning of a bait and switch game or unexpected add on fees when it comes time to make the deal.
      The Dealership with the $26,900 quote is Sport City Toyota in Dallas. Other Dealers will not go under $28,000 for this vehicle.

Has anyone had a dealer treat them like the other dealers are warning of?
    Should I be worried about this possibility or are the other dealers trying to use scare tactics to win my business?

Your input would be appreciated "

My response:

I compute Edmunds' invoice price, including a $540 destination charge, as $26,390 (XLE7, FWD, pkg#1), so the dealer's offer to sell the vehicle to you at $510, or approx. 1.9% above that price, is excellent (for you), in my opinion...and certainly not out of the question.

I paid $500 over dealer's invoice (which included some non-negotiable charges above Edmunds' invoice pricing) on an LE a week and a half ago in Sacramento. See my post #2623 for details. Yes, you should be wary of additional charges the dealership might attempt to add into the transaction once you are back in the showroom. Some, like an advertising fee, might be and your salesman might not budge on them. In fact, he may not be able to. I'm not certain what I'd do in that case, although I'd definitely be very annoyed.

Also, be certain that the vehicle is truly brand new (i.e., is not a rollback or demo), and has no damage.

And be wary of add-on charges put into the contract AFTER you have an agreed-on price. See my post #2668.

Re bait and switch, you can always walk - and probably should - if your salesman tries it.

Good luck and let us know how you do...could be a fantastic deal if it's the vehicle you want!!

P.S. I would consider a selling price of $28,000 to be excessive. That's more than 6% over Edmund's invoice. Ugh. Generally I expect to pay less, and perhaps much less, than 4% over invoice for a new vehicle, even one selling well and in limited supply. Some dealerships will not take such deals, but a surprising number will when you make a firm offer and stand your ground on price. If you need to, simply say you believe your offer is fair and reasonable, it leaves no money on the table, and you have no intention of going back and forth with offers and counteroffers. Doing so makes the transaction a simple one for you and your salesman.