Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Sienna Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mduartemduarte Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone....

I was wondering what everyone is paying for the sienna in the New England area...I am in massachusetts, but would be willing to travel for a good deal.

Thanks,

Michelle
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I have made several posts in past months about a Toyota LE with package 7 that I had ordered through Toyota of Louisville. After waiting just 3 weeks they said our van was in.When we ordered the van the out the door price was $28,200( $500 over invoice, though included a $600 TDA fee and a $489 doc. fee)...when they called saying the van was in, it was $30,200! The GM started listing the options I had ordered (i,e DVD system)When I told him I did not order this, he replied we could still buy it or he would try to find us another. So, he locates another and says it should be in a couple days later than the original van.Weeks go by the due date.After calling every 3rd day or so our salesperson rudely says don't call us..we'll call you when it comes in. Five weeks after our vans due date, I'm guessing that they sold our van for a higher price to someone else and are trying to find another for us, or are just hoping we'll go away.Fed up with the poor service and attitude, the wife and I purchased a compariably equipped Mazda MPV for $6,000 less. It seems like a big risk to put your trust in a dealer whose only interest is in making a larger profit. I have no problem with making as big a profit as possible. As long as it means not lieing, cheating and disrespecting those who put their trust in you.
    If you want a much more positive and cleaner buying experience...I would suggest buying what is available from the lot. Or, be prepared to wait
    and play these games that are advantagous for the dealership. Anyhow, it's been enjoyable reading these posts the past...ohhh four months.Good luck to all on your purchases & hope your buying experience is a positive one.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I wouldn't buy anything from a dealer that charges an outrageous $489 doc fee. That should have been your first warning sign that this dealer was a pig.

I'll pay up to $50 or so for this revenue enhancement technique--IF the deal on the vehicle is good enough in the first place. But I usually try to make the dealer waive it totally.
  • texasmomtexasmom Member Posts: 114
    If anybody has any information about buying Siennas in this area, please share your experience! I tried going to Toyota's website and typing my zipcode into the window and seeing what XLE option packages were available in my area. It looks like the options are bunched differently, depending on what zipcode I enter. It is kind of confusing. The option package I wanted (#12) isn't even listed in my zipcode area. Do people ever go out of state to get Toyotas that are equipped with the features they need/want? I haven't read any postings from people who bought Siennas in Texas, much less Austin. If you're out there, please help! Thanks!
    Heywood, Every dealer that I have talked to about the doc fee have told he the state requires this, and that it must be charged...I live in Ma... any advice?

Thanks,

michelle
  • steve8steve8 Member Posts: 4
    thanks for the input! Enjoy your sienna
    I suppose it could be state-mandated revenue enhancement-- Especially in 'Taxachusetts.' No such thing here in PA. Unless this fee is recouped by the state no matter where you buy, I'd go out of state to buy.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    I'm in Austin (daily commute takes me from Cedar Park to San Marcos) and my wife and I are interested in an XLE w/#12 ourselves. We probably won't be buying until November however.

Instead of going to the generic Toyota website and trying to build one, go to the website of a local dealer (I've used Classic, Maund, Champion, or San Marcos Toyota). From the dealer's website, you get either see what is available (either on their lot or in the Austin/San Antonio region) OR you can go to the 'Build Your Own' section from the dealer's website.

XLE Pkg #12 (leather, airbags, traction/VSC) is DEFINITELY available in the Austin area. I checked the San Marcos website and they list a Stratosphere Mica XLE w/#12 as 'available' meaning it is somewhere in the region, just not at San Marcos. And dealers routinely trade for vehicles outside of the immediate area so you may try the website for a Dallas or Houston area dealer as well to check inventories in these markets.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks so much! Do you plan to buy a 2004 or a 2005? If you make your purchase in November when do you expect you would be able to get the vehicle? Is this your first Sienna? I am actually still trying to decide between Sienna vs. Odyssey and between 2004 (if there is a discount) and 2005. Share some more thoughts?
  • cab3cab3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Michelle,

In southern MA I would highly recommend Copeland Toyota. We have been working with them to find a LE with the BW package for a few weeks. Looking for a particular color so we have had to wait about 2-3 weeks. The folks at Copeland have really impressed me with the way they have treated us. I felt like they we looking to create a win-win vs. a sale. We are paying about $500 under the Edmunds TMV price. Not sure if this is a good deal or not but they are treating us well and I would be willing to pay a little extra for that. I also felt they are giving me a very fair price on our trade-in.

We did deal with Boch, Ira, and Attleboro Toyota and had very bad experiences. None were willing to negotiate more then $1000 off MSRP and the experience was very much like the "used car salesperson" experience you hear about.
    I would imagine that there won't be any '04s left by the time My Significant Other and I are ready to buy. I don't expect more than a week or so between the time we decide to pull the trigger and the time we take delivery. We're somewhat flexible on color choices and my gut feeling tells me that demand for new Ody's will make for better availability of Sienna's. I also understand (tho I could be wrong) that the new Ody's will have curtain airbags as standard equipment, at least on the EX models and above. If this is the case, I would imagine availability of Siennas with curtain airbags would increase to keep pace with the Ody's.

We've never had a Sienna, or any other minivan, before. We are currently a 2 Toyota household (Celica and 4runner) so lean in that direction. But I've owned 3 Hondas in my past, all of which were terrific cars so I certainly have no qualms about giving the new Ody a look. Wife has driven both the new Sienna and an '04 Ody and vastly prefered the new Sienna. Personally, I hope the new Ody is a hit and Honda production is able to flood the market and Toyota/Honda get into a price war........and maybe I'll hit the lottery....8^)
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it's possible to negotiate a price when the vehicle is not even in..?

Michelle
    Rorr, you said that you don't expect there to be any more '04s left by the time you all are ready to buy. (Didn't you say that would be in November?) So, does that mean you expect to have to buy a 2005 Sienna ? If so, do you think you can get it within a week of pulling the trigger? What do others think of this expectation.
    Why do you think you can get a car delivered just one week after pulling the trigger, if it's the '05 you are talking about. Mightn't they still be "scarce" that early in the model year?
    How do you feel about having two model years of new van to choose from at the point you're ready to buy? It's driving me nuts. There is already too much to think about without having to deal with the model year change issue.
    At least with Sienna it's not supposed to be a big change. Still, it's weird that it's already August and nobody knows anything about the 2005 Sienna and only a little about the 2005 Honda.
    Since I've asked you so many questions, I thought I'd share something, for what it's worth. I had a problem with the idea of a minivan until I got my first one. I'm on my second minivan now and about to buy my third. My first was a 1993 Dodge Caravan that I drove to 130K over 7 years with very little problem until the end when the transmission needed to be replaced. Next was a Chrysler Town & Country Limited 2000 that I've driven to 122K so far with no problem except frequent brake pad replacement needed. It was very trouble-free (knock on wood) and I'd get another T & C but I like the safety rating of Toyota and Honda so much better. There has only been one time when we took a road trip to a place in winter that we thought would require a 4-wheel drive vehicle (which it turned out not to be necessary) but that time we rented an SUV in Austin and put the miles on the rental car, which wasn't that expensive for the week. Minivans just make sense for our family in so many ways for now.
    One last question--
    Did you say you had gotten prices on 2004 Siennas in the Central Texas area? Would you mind sharing them?
  • ross1ross1 Member Posts: 2
    Vanquest,
    I actually did have a deposit down for a minivan in Bloomington. Unfortunately, when we went to pick it up, the vehicle had paint spray damage from a neighboring facility which we did not particularly want on a brand new vehicle. We declined (much to my wife's disappointment) and are now still in the market. I am negotiating with a St.Charles dealer and KC Summers as you suggested now. Please let me know how your experience goes with picking up the vehicle as I might soon be in the same boat. I found your post from before. You paid $500 over invoice for an LE model, with no doc/admin fees, correct? If I can get a similar deal I'll probably go with them.
    Thanks for the info.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sometimes you can't avoid them. But you can focus on your out the door price and ignore them - just tell the dealer what your final price is and let them worry about filling out the line items on the forms to make it add up to your price.

Steve, Host
    A lot to respond to; hope I get everything:

Since there should be essentially no change for the '05 Sienna (aside from slight changes to equipment levels or the makeup of the various packages), I don't foresee any 'shortages' on the dealers lots late this fall. Once production catches up with demand (which they've essentially done with the '04 model), the only things which would affect availability of an '05 Sienna is a sudden upsurge of demand (which I don't see since the new Ody is coming out and the Sienna is a carryover model) or a decrease in production. I don't think I'll have ANY problem getting an '05 Sienna in November.

Toyota typically makes very little changes, if any, from year to year; particularly between the 1st and 2nd years of a particular generation. Don't worry about the differences between the '04 and '05 Sienna.

What I AM waiting for is the new Ody. If we had to buy right now, no question we would be getting a Sienna. Some terrific deals can be had right now on '04 Odys but my wife likes the Sienna better (drives and feels nicer to her) and some safety features (side curtain airbags and Skid/traction control) are simply not available on the Ody. However, the '05 Ody should offer these. If the new Ody has the features WE want, and if the SELLING price is competitive, we'll consider it too. So I'm much more hung up on deciding between an '05 Ody and '05 Sienna rather than a '04 vs '05 Sienna.

Good luck.
    Thanks for answering my questions to you so completely. It reassures me that you are confident in your ability to wait until November to make a purchase. I guess that by then you'll have an opportunity to at least SEE an '05 Honda so that you can decide between it and the '05 Sienna. I have just been worried because when I was shopping for a minivan in November of 1999 (looking for a 2000) I couldn't find a 2000 Honda anywhere in Austin. The dealers seemed rather arrogant and disinterested--saying that they themselves couldn't keep one on the lot. I really wanted to see one and found a friend of a friend who had bought one; but it was a stripped down model and I had a negative "emotional" reaction to it and decided against Odyssey at that point. Your comments make me feel that my 199/2000 experience with Honda won't be repeated and I can make an informed, test-drive-supported decision before the end of 2004. Thanks and please post if you get any idea of when the 2005's of either vehicle are available in the central Texas area. Thanks!
    I've been reading Prices Paid posts going all the way back to Sept. 2003 for both Siennas and Odysseys. It looks like people who live in Texas, especially Houston, and who want Hondas are in luck because this geographic area has the best prices in the country. On the other hand, if people in this same area want Toyotas they are out of luck because of weird, fairly useless packages that are added on to all the vehicles. Am I mistaken? Could it be that in my area of the country I have to pay at least $1,000 more for any new Sienna? And if this is true, is there a reasonably easy way to avoid getting gouged like that? Thanks for any info on this topic!!
    Do you have any relatives in the PA, OH, NY, WV area? Central Atlanta Toyota region doesn't load up vehicles with worthless crap like Gulf States and Southeast distributors. Shop via internet or fax for a Sienna in one of these states, get a cheap plane ticket, and have a fun road trip back to TX.
    Heywood1--I really haven't done any serious pricing yet, it's just an impression I picked up from the forums that prices are worse with Gulf States and Southeast distributors. You propose buying in the Central Atlanta Toyota region (if I decide to get a Sienna instead of a Honda), so are you saying that it's impossible to buy a Sienna here for prices like those in the Central Atlanta Toyota region? Thanks!
  • fdogs1fdogs1 Member Posts: 6
    is 30504 plus tax and registration a good deal on an XLE with pkg 12 here in Northern California?
  • fdogs1fdogs1 Member Posts: 6
    I would like the name of the salesman you dealt with, its sounds like a good deal.
  • dverespeydverespey Member Posts: 56
    As was mentioned earlier a first to second year model change will hardly be noticiable. I would guess there will be a color added and another removed along with a few minor int/ext trim mods.

Production will remain almost constant through the change over. Usually no factory tooling is affected and either no gap or a few vehicle carrier spaces between the models.
  • flgirlfiveflgirlfive Member Posts: 17
    I was reading that in the Atlanta Central Region you don't have to buy a lot of junk to get the few things you want. What are the perameters of the Atlanta Central Region. I live in FL, have family in Atlanta and Knoxville. Has anyone had a good experience buying an XLE in this area recently?
  • wildredwildred Member Posts: 43
    E-mail me I shall reply, since the board rule prohibiting posting names.
  • tccc3tccc3 Member Posts: 3
    Purchased new '04 XLE with pkg #5 & rear spoiler last week at western NC dealer in small town. Ordered from southeast region stock (Toyota's distribution point for southeast region is Commerce,GA).
    Paid considerably under MSRP with no "doc" fees.
    The savings on doc fees (about $500 in FL) alone would be worth the trip. Thanks for the info. When you say you bought under MSRP does that include backing out the holdbacks, etc from the MSRP?
  • sfuadsfuad Member Posts: 15
    I bought an xle with package 5 from sandy springs toyota in atlanta in march this year for 28100 plus tax (msrp was 31600), whereas the same vehicle was quoted by my local dealer in memphis at 30600 with a wait period of 6 weeks for delivery
  • jhaspeljhaspel Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying to sell my excellent 2004 Sienna XLE. It has most of the bells and whistles except DVD, NAV, or 6-CD changer. It has leather, a single CD changer, running boards, and power moonroof. I have about 4000 miles on it. The sticker for it was $34,185. I can't find any information on used 2004 models. NADA, KBB, and Edmunds only cover used to 2003. There are none in dealer lots in this area. I found a few searching dealer websites, but none of the descriptions were detailed enough to use for pricing. Does anyone have any idea of how much it might be worth?
  • vinsonavinsona Member Posts: 13
    Hello,
    It seeme like many others, we have narrowed our choices down to the 04 Sienna or the 04 Odyssey. We live in Southeastern, Pa and I am looking for some price references (Are the TMV prices realistic in my area?) on the Sienna to help ensure we are getiing the most for our $$$ …like everyone else :)

Looking to take delivery by the end of AUG.

04 Sienna (7 passanger FWD) LE: TMV $26,008
    BI LE Package #4
    RF Rear Spoiler
    ZL Preferred Premium Accessory Package
    Etc...

Or

04 EX Odyssey with DVD Entertainment System : TMV $25,305 (plus $500 incentive)
    AIR DEFLECTOR
    SPLASH GUARDS
    (no other option needed)

Any suggestion would be GREAT!

Thanks
    Has anyone seen a package 3 only available anywhere? Like many others, we want leather and DVD or just leather without all the other stuff that Toyota packages in. We saw that package 3 has just leather and manual windowshades. (We would then have a DVD installed by an outside vendor or by a portable DVD.) I am willing to compromise and pay for just shades, but can't find a van with package 3 to save my life. Or, does anyone have any negotiating tips to bring down the price on a van that has the extra junk that we don't want. We tried using the internet price for an Odyssey and that didn't work. They told us that if you tried to trade in the 04 Odyssey with 2,000 miles right now you would only get 16K because of the new body change. We haven't been able to very that. They act like they are doing us a favor by offering us sticker. Would it be better to hold out until the 05 Odysseys come out?

I really would like the Toyota quality, but it seems like a big scam here in the SE Region. Huge doc fees and packages with more stuff than I want or need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • philapaphilapa Member Posts: 25
    Fdogs1,

Costco provided me two dealers, one in Harrisburg, PA, and the second one in Newark, DE, thought I live in the suburb of Philadelphia, I was interest with the 04 XLE base. The dealer from Newark, DE told me I could get it for $1000 before MSRP, which I don't think it was bad.

I have signed contract to purchase a 04 Honda Ody EX-L with RES for $26,571 before tax with destination. I think it is a better value, and I know it will be a old model when the 05 comes out in October, but I almost got $4000 discount from the MSRP.

Good Luck.
    The invoice on the XLE with package #12 is $29,548 in Northern California.

$30,504 is a bit too high IMO. You should be able to get it for $30,000 even, or less. You will save at least $500!

Yeah, I know, the Edmunds' TMV says $31,234. When I bought my Limited with package #6 in March for $35,592, the TMV was $38,592, exactly $3,000 MORE!

BTW, I sent you the salesman's name and other related information. Best of luck! Keep me posted.
  • vanquestvanquest Member Posts: 14
    sorry but i just saw your post. we just received word today that it is in and plan to pick up late this week. as soon as we've gone thru this experience, i'll post whether it was a good one or not. at the moment, i've got no reason to believe it won't be.

and, yes we negotiated $500 over invoice for an LE with package 7 and we are told there are no doc fees.

stay tuned.
    How do taxes work if you buy in one state and register it in another. We live in Florida, but can't get a good deal on an XLE with package #3(which it seems can't be found) or #17 (which they are telling me can be found but in high demand). We are considering going to TX, GA, NC and OK to buy. However, we will be registering in TN. (We are military and will be registering the van in the state where we keep our residency.) I am now reduced to trying to buy through fleet so I am trying to give an out the door number. I wasn't sure for which state I should be calculating taxes.

Also, if anyone has bought one of the above packages in any of these states at good price, would you share your info? Thanks!
    tccc3 and sfuad. Both of you mentioned that you had great deals and you are both in the areas I am willing to travel to. Do you mind e-mailing me with your salesman's name and dealer name?
  • laguy1laguy1 Member Posts: 2
    Wildred,

That is a good deal. I am trying to get that exact van down here in So. Cal. but the dealers are quite arrogant and inflexible. Now I am thinking of driving to Nor. Cal. since I have heard there is more availability there.

Would you please email me the name(s) of the dealer/salesman?

Thanks.
  • timk1timk1 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I are interested in the Sienna, but all dealers in our area have said their "Best" Offer is sticker price. Interested in a XLE Limited or XLE w/ pkg. #18. The question then becomes: 1) do we wait for the 2005 Ody to come out in hopes that dealers will negotiate price or 2) buy from an out of state dealer. We are willing to travel out of state as we have family all around the country. Does anyone have suggestions on cheapest location or should we wait. Time is not critical, need it before January 2005.

Tim
  • vinsonavinsona Member Posts: 13
    It seems is my area (Phila Suburbs) the LE come with pkg#1 or #7 or #8 w/o special order.

Anyone have any "real rock bottom" prices on the LE w/#7?

Thanks!
    Sure, but your e-mail address is private. Why don't you send me one since mine is public. Thanks!
  • resque84resque84 Member Posts: 21
    Will be getting it delivered tommorow .8 seater LE with package number 7 and sill protectors and mats, 28135 including tax and tags , price was 26200 payment is $495 for 63 months with 3.99 % financing ,is this a good deal ??
  • sfuadsfuad Member Posts: 15
    your email is private. you can email me and then i would let you know the details
  • tccc3tccc3 Member Posts: 3
    to flgirlfive and timk1-
    You have lots of questions and I have one answer: Toyota of Boone in beautiful Boone, NC.
    Nice bunch of folks, easy to talk to, no doc fees.
    Ask for new car sales mgr.-- he can answer questions about sales tax for out-of-state buyers.
  • skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    "philapa", what dealership did you get the Ody at? The best I've done is $26,750 for the same model which I thought was great.
    We test drove the Sienna today and preferred it to the '04 Ody, but similarly equipped the Sienna would be about $7-$9 thousand higher so this makes the Ody the better buy...
  • philapaphilapa Member Posts: 25
    Skinnytony,

I got my XEL-RES from Sussman Honda at Roslyvn.

I bought an 2003 Accord from the same dealer and the GM of the dealer was trying to do me a favor.

I picked it last Saturday. They did not have the color I want, and they locate one from a different dealer at Lancaster, PA.

I got mud guard, pin stripe, and also wheel lock, plus cargo tray for free. The last two items were for the extra miles I got from the EXL-RES, since it has 230 miles when I took delivery.

Good Luck!
  • hxcaihxcai Member Posts: 1
    I think it is a pretty good deal. I went to "autoland" dealer in central NJ, they only offered me $27000 (before tax & tag) for the exact same thing.

resque84, can you please email me the sale guy's contact info? Thanks!
    Central 'Atlantic' region. Sorry, my typo.
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    I put a deposit today on a 2004 Sienna XLE Limited FWD w/ Package#5. I got a great deal over about $500 over invoice or $3690 below MSRP. I love the experience so far. Very courteous people.
  • david179david179 Member Posts: 6
    I got a quote for an XLE in St. Paul. Price for Package #16 plus preferred accessory package is $32,464 (plus tax and license) or $800 over invoice. Vehicle could be delivered in September.

Good deal?
  • vanquestvanquest Member Posts: 14
    We just picked up our LE with package 7 from KC Summers in Mattoon, IL, about 140 miles from our home in the St. Louis area. It was $500 over invoice, coming to $25,884, including factory mats, out the door. We cannot say enough about this dealership in terms of how easy and straightforward this tranaction was. There were no last minute add-ons, no document fees, no pressure to buy an extended warranty (even though their price was quite good - $500 for a 7yr/75K for example). The only added cost was a $10 drive-out tag. They even offered to deliver it to our home, but since we have been shopping for 18 months we decided to pick it up ourselves.

Now, if we can only get through the 500 page manual......