Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Another thought is possibly ball joints. Best to replace them both at the same time even if only one has gone south.
  • mrravenmrraven Member Posts: 1
    My son's wife managed to slide their 2000 GS supercharged 3.8 off a driveway and over boulder, resulting in a bent bracket below the radiator and a ruined leaky radiator. I've eyeballed the bracket and can straighten that out with no problem once the radiator is out.

They are barely making ends meet so I'm thinking of trying to help him replace the radiator. I'm a poor mechanic at best and would appreciate any and all help so we can figure how to remove the radiator correctly.
  • spanglerspangler Member Posts: 2
    When I accelerate from a stop, there is a dramatic loss of power (major hesitation for about (2- 4 seconds), then it takes off. This happens only when the engine is cold, then after a few minutes of operation the problem goes away.
  • shortyscrf450shortyscrf450 Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to supercharg or put a supercharged crate motor in an LS?
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    It may be possible but not practical. I don't think the LS' transmission can take the torque the supercharger would add (the tranny is different then the tranny of a GS).
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    In addition to heavy duty transmission, GS have different fuel pump, and other parts - do not remember exactly, but something with front axes / joints / balls. Even the battery is different.

Probably a used GS would cost less than the conversion.

By the way, did you consider to put the 5.3l V-8 from 2006 Impala in your LS? Looks not much different.
  • lokiizgodlokiizgod Member Posts: 1
    im too poor to buy a tuner car as well as mods for it so im tryin to find some body kits and upgrades for my 92 regal custom 4d w/ a 3800 in it can someone plz help me????
  • dcamp950dcamp950 Member Posts: 2
    Hi-
    I'm looking for the front engine torque strut mount (looks like a dog bone) with the gasket set for my fiancee's 92 Regal Limited 3.8. I've been able to find the "dog bone" metal piece but unable to find it with the gaskets and that is the part that has worn out on her car. Any suggestions of a good supplier? Thanks!
  • elgavilanelgavilan Member Posts: 3
    Have a new (to me) Abboud "Olympics" GS, and am having some difficulty very recently finding Premium (93 Octane) gas. There is plenty of 87 Octane.

What is the real skinny on what type is really necessary.

I have heard that you can run on Regular forever with absolutely no adverse effect on the engine because the computer adjust the timing, etc. for Regular. However, there will be a performance loss of as much as 10%. Is this a true statement?

My OM says 91 Octane. I remember reading somewhere that you can mix your own Octane Rating by combining the correct proportion of Regular and Premium, e.g., 5g of 87 + 5g of 93 = 10g of 90. Is this true?

What if you run several tanks of Regular and then switch back to Premium? Any harm in this? How long does the computer take to adjust to a new Octane Rating?

What does Buick really have to say about this?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
  • clipso1clipso1 Member Posts: 1
    I need help I have a 98 Regal GS and I went to turn the car off today and the key would not go all the way to the off position. It cliked back 2 spots but needs to go back one more to turn off completely and release the key. Also i tried switching the key on and off rapidly and now the car wont start either. Right now on the information display it shows the gears but no box around them so I disconnected the battrey so it wont go dead while I figure out how to get the key out, or the car started. I have a remote start system on the car so if i cant get the key back i would be fine to just be able to get the car to actually start again. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Jeremy
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Why not just try running Plus for a few tanks. See if the performance seems more consistent even though it's not Premius 92/93. I'll bet it will serve you well.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    How old is your battery? When my vehicle kept me from getting the key out it was because they battery had suddenly expired overnight. I did read information later in the owners manual as this having to do with something in the security system.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    It will take your PCM about an hour of driving to learn the new octane differences to reset the timing...I'm wondering where you live that they don't have premium...
  • kborghikborghi Member Posts: 2
    Two different mechanic shops and the dealer have been unable to figure this one out. Two weeks ago I went to start my 2000 Regal Ls, when I turned the key forward every single warning light in the dash started flashing and the car didn't start. I replaced the battery, alternator and belt on the recommendation of the first mechanic. It continued to do the same thing. Several times while driving down the road the car just shut off and the new battery eventually died. The dealer reflashed the computer because they said the car did not recognize itself. That fixed the warning light flashing problem and the charging problem. However, as I was driving it home from the dealer I flipped on the left turn signal indicator and the car shut off again. It restarted after I put the car in neutral first. The problem seems intermittent. Awhile ago I spilt coke all over the shifter, which has a small hole in the leather sleeve.
  • 99regalgs99regalgs Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody,

I just bought a 1999 Buick Regal GS as my first car and I'm very pleased with the car. However there are some things wrong with it and I need your help.

1 - Where do you get a decent repair manual for the 1999 Regal. Is there one that just covers this car or do you have to buy the ones that cover repairs on all of the GM cars? Are they any good?

2 - I have a rolling noise that I can hear as soon as I go about 30 mph or faster. It's not too bad but still a noise that should not be there. Could that be a wheel bearing or a tire or something? Has anybody ever had the same on his car?

3 - My right rear speaker is broken (monsoon). Is there a good place to get a new one for cheaper than 126.21 (that's what the Buick dealer wants for it)? How do you take it out?

4 - the cupholder in the center console is broken. The Buick dealer told me to buy a new console for 170.17 since they would not sell just the cupholder. There has to be a way to get the black plastic part out... I can see the screws but how can you get to them? Does anybody have an idea?

If anybody can help me on one or more of my questions I'd really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Mario
    http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=&Mfg=GMC&Make=BUI&Model=REGA&Year=1999&Catego- ry=&Keyword=&Module=&mscsid=K51X6P30R8PB8H50MXXNTXGA0K6E92Q8

$135 on paper. I have bought them for most of my new GM cars. Probably 3 volumes. Great reading. Specific for your car (and the Century 1999).

• dcamp950dcamp950 Member Posts: 2
    Got a reply from gmpartsdirect.com. Thanks. Also checked around for prices and gmpartsdirect.com has been the cheapest. But still not sure if its the right part without a picture. Anyone know where to find catalog illustrations? The part # is 22188849 and the catalog illustration # is 4W00-03.

Thanks,
    David
  • brybrybrybry Member Posts: 25
    I'm having the same problem and think it might be the starter as I have replaced the alternator and battery a year ago. Mechanics couldn't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.
  • kborghikborghi Member Posts: 2
    I had my computer reflashed, but the same symptoms started not more than twenty miles after leaving the dealer. All the warning lights flash, the car shuts off intermittenly while driving and it does not always start. I was told that the computer is bad and needs to be replaced not reflashed. Have you been driving yours for a year like that?
  • grssracgrssrac Member Posts: 9
    I had the exact same problem with my 98 GS a few months ago. The dashboard lit up like a pinball machine and every time I used the turn signal, the engine shut off. The solution: The dealer replaced the ignition switch, which had gone bad. Total cost parts/labor: $380.
  • stevieb2stevieb2 Member Posts: 13
    Today I noticed that my ac was working fine on the drivers side, but on the passenger side hot, and I mean HOT, air was blowing out. I double checked the controls (analog) and both were set for COOL. I played around with the controls but no matter what position I switched the controls to I ended up with the same problem. Anyone have a clue as to what's going on?
  • mrscotemrscote Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with 98 Regal. It has been stalling and sometimes takes up to 15 minutes to start. Sometimes the ABS light and airbag dash lights stay on and I can't take it out of park. This morning I got a full tank of gas and now it won't start at all. Would a bad ignition switch be worsened with a full tank of gas? Are the two somehow related? It seemed to be getting better before filling the tank....Anyone?
  • elgavilanelgavilan Member Posts: 3
    I have a Costco card and they have two grades: 87 and 92. I try to buy my gas there to make the membership pay for itself. I usually use 92 or a mix of the two. I understand the timing reset for octane. My real question is whether any harm could be done to the engine with 87 octane. What got me thinking is listening to Clark Howard when he said that any car would run on 87 octane unless you have a supercharger. Does he know something I don't about this?
    >that any car would run on 87 octane unless you have a supercharger.

I had a few years old GS as a loaner a few years back. I* didn't realize it was supercharged. Son's friend told us their's was supercharged when we went miniature golfing. When I put gas in it to get back to the dealer, I saw the premium fuel notice. It ran, but kind of doggish compared to my 3800 in a LeSabre about the same year. All the loaner people had been putting in regular to save money on refilling for return.

• grssracgrssrac Member Posts: 9
    No, they are not related. Yes, you almost certainly have a bad ignition switch.
  • meh_36meh_36 Member Posts: 1
    here's my problem: oil light comes on after i've driven about 10+ miles. comes on when i start slowing for a stop and sometimes stalls. could it be the oil pump? :confuse: thank u for your input.
  • targettarget Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone ever haqd a problem with the power steering/rack and pinion? The power steering isn't working when you turn the steering wheel to the left.
  • knz3knz3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everybody,

I just bought a 99 Regal. its digital temperature display was busted. I can control ther A/C without that in summers. However, I didn't fiugure out how to turn on the heater w/o the display. I am not going to replace the display. Would you tell me how to turn the heater on? thanks a lot!

Kurt
    If it's a digital readout that means it is automatic control. Just turn the temperature settings up. The temps are 60, 65, 66, 67,...83, 84, 85, 90. So you can guess where you are on the clicks as you move up or down. There should be a vent setting that disables the compressor. It will cut off at 40 or 45 anyhow.

• knz3knz3 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks a lot!
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    Hi everyone,

My 98 regal has apparently developed a problem with the in-car control module that allows your key fob to do its thing. The local dealers all want approx $300 for the part, with installation on top of that. No, having that kind of thing isn't a true necessity, but wondered if there is a cheaper outlet for the part (outside your local GM parts dealership) and if anyone HAD replaced it and knew how involved the job might be. I'm not a do-it-yourselfer, but wondered how tricky or involved it might be.

When determining the problem, both times I've run this by a dealer they really come off as not wanting to do the job so I don't get an answer to the direct question of how much labor the job would require. Just makes me more curious :)

If anyone can help, thanks a lot.
  • purrfectpurrfect Member Posts: 3
    I too have the same problem Stevie, and came here to Edmunds.com to see if there was a solution. I have also checked the analog as best as I could, as my climate control(visual part has been on the blink for awhile. ( Also going to check the forum for that problem.
    If you have solved the problem, please get back with me, as I am at a loss with this. Can't use my air now, thank goodness its fall.
    Any help? :cry:
    Fading heater control
    http://www.regalgs.org/climate.htm
    This link might help.

• jac5jac5 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 1999 Buick regal LS w/grand touring suspension. I am at a point where I need to replace michelinx-one tires.(I purchased the car used in 2004). I would like to know if anyone out there knows the correct OEM tire that came with this model on 225/60/16 tires. specifically, were the tires S<T<or H rated. AS I mentioned the car has the touring suspension package and I dont know if this means it should run on a all season passenger tire with a S rating for a quite,smooth ride or a performance tire with an H rating for handling. any assistance would be very much appreciative.thanks.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    Good Year Eagle's were the OEM tires. They are S rated although I think they can be purchased H rated. They have good dry weather grip but I found them noisey for every day driving. After 30K miles, I replaced them with Yokohama Avid Touring tires. Nice, quiet tires with a high treadwear rating...and only costs $58/each.

Realistically, you don't need H rated tires. The car has a governor limiting it to 108 MPH. And get real!! How much 'handling' can you demand from FWD? Straight line is one thing (of which an S rated tire will perform as well as an H rated). But unless you'll be on a slalom for hours at a time, S rated is fine.

Footnote: The Yokohamas I mentioned earlier are H rated (they didn't come S rated when I bought them).
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    People who own Regals have found these to be very good...and very affordable...

Falken Ziex ZE-512
    BF Goodrich Traction T/A
    Yokohama AVID Touring
  • brybrybrybry Member Posts: 25
    This problem started about two weeks ago. I've had the car fixed and it was the ignition switch. Luckily it happened at the mechanics shop and he got a code on his code reader. Apparently the previous owner had a security system in the car and the part they put in the ignition switch caused it to wear out. It's been working fine ever since. Thanks for the help.
    Can anyone out there please explain this suspension. I bought a used buick regal LS with this package and I do not know if it is to give the car a sport/perfomance set-up or a softer, more comfortable set-up. any input would be very much appreciated. thanks.
    Y56 is designed more for the sports enthusiast who wants less lean in the turns and a firmer ride. Without it the car handles more like a Buick Century; not bad, but not as secure in the corners if at speed.
    thanks, tsu. do you think the goodyear assurance tripletread would be a good fit for this type of suspension? for a regal . thx.

Sorry; I don't have experience with that tire. My '99 currently has Michelin X-One tires, and I'm quite pleased with them. I think the tread compound is a little harder than others (which might explain why they last so long), but they're very quiet and sure-footed. Someone else posted a while back that the siping on his X-One tires wore out and they didn't perform very well in snow thereafter. I've only got 30k miles on mine and so far they seem to be fine.
  • nels1nels1 Member Posts: 25
    A couple of months ago I put a set of Michelin Hydro Edge on my 03 GS. The best water tires I've found. Almost like driving on dry roads even in heavy rain and puddles at high speeds. I got them a Costco and they inflated them with nitrogen which is supposed to give better pressure stability among other things I guess. Don't know about snow yet but this thing is like a sled in snow anyway. Safest thing is to stay home.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Any good suggestions for replacement tires on 99 LS ? Around $80 per tire range.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • bennycheckbennycheck Member Posts: 43
    You could try Futura 2000 LTE's at Pepboys. They're made by Cooper tires and run around $70.00/tire before balancing. Replaced all 4 on my '00 Intrigue with around 40Kmi. It now has 110K and they still have tread on them. Will need replacing before winter though. The ride nice and are good in the snow (a must where I live). I liked them so much that I just replaced all 4 on my wife's '01 Regal LS. Much quieter than the OEM G.Y. Eagels. Hope this helps.
  • brokenbuickbrokenbuick Member Posts: 3
    Ok I have a 97 Regal LS 3.8 n/a
    before it stopped starting i would turn my key to start and it would crank, but no ignition. I checked it with a code reader and it sayed it was the crankshaft sensor.
    but after trying to start it for 2-4mins. it would start and not bother me for close to a month. then it would happen again.
    Finally while driving in town it just died. no power steering or nothing. I had it towed to the house. A mechanic friend of mine says it might be the ignition switch. please tell me this is easy to fix and common.
    any help would be appreciated.
    also its locked in park and won't unlock. :cry:
  • kharrison1kharrison1 Member Posts: 1
    I had a 1992 Buick Roadmaster several years ago with the remote module that took a static hit. I had purchased the shop manual ($90., & well worth it) and was able to troubleshoot the problem. On that car, the module is the size of a cigarette pack and is mounted under the rear shelf accessible by removing the rear seat
    upright cushion. I found one at a "get it yourself" salvage yard from the same model sedan. The clerk didn't know what it was and charged me $20. That was the solution. It may be similar to your car. Good luck.
    With the key in off, not lock, you should be able to move the shift lever. If it's not letting you move at other positions with the brake pedal down that says the basic things aren't getting power to release the pin that locks the shift lever.

Try it in "Off."

I tried that and it would not work.
    I've desimbled the sift cover and manually taken it out of lock, but once I put it back in parkit locks again.
    I feel it will unlock once the car starts, thats the main problem. Getting it started, If anyone knows how to take the ignition switch out of a regal please feel free to post it.
    yes, this is a major problem with the 97-04 regals
    it was a recall issue.
    it is caused by a power steering malfunction.
    if you call your local GM dealer and give them your VIN
    they should be able to tell you if this has been replaced or not on your car.

I found out the hardway losing all power steering in Austin texas
    I turned my wheel without it and broke most of my rack and pinion parts.
    it costed me close to 700 bucks.
    So get it fixed for free as a recall!!