Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• vwbus1979vwbus1979 Member Posts: 42
    Heya...OK...Merry Christmas and all that politically incorrect
    stuff...Anyhow...Might I suggest HP for your scanner and LexMark
    for your printer.

HP makes the 4P scanner that is 11"x17". It's the only one I know
    that is GOOD and has QUALITY scans. The only problem is that it's
    not called the 4p anymore, so you will have to research it. I own
    it, but it's not the newest model. My colleague here bought a new
    HP and loves that it is 11"x17". I love mine because it is a
    QUALITY piece of hardware.

Lexmark makes an EXCELLENT line of printers. I have the Z52 Lexmark.
    What makes it unique is that you can purchase a special color ink
    cartridge that "reprograms" the printer so it prints PERFECT photos
    and the highest quality prints I've ever seen. The color cartridge
    that comes with it is "OK", but you need to get the high quality
    cartridge for the best prints. You really have to see it to understand

(The printer itself is a two cartridge printer. 1 color. 1 black)

(And it is inexpensive!)
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    When you get the chance, post the link to your Aurora pae again. I bought a new computer and i need to get everything back again. For some reason all of the bookmarks in my browser did not transfer over.

VWBUS -- I tried to find the scanner you talked about, but no one had it, or knew what new model would have taken its place. I have decided to compromise on the HP G85 because it does everything I need, except for the legal sized scanner. I am just going to wait for the price to come down. This printer has a color fax in it that I do NOT NEED and don't want to pay for. They want $799.99 for the thing. I am sure by January- February, it will be cheaper. The XEROX is not a bad second choice for me. It's just that the machine itself looks flimsy (the Xerox is no 'Roara when it comes to consrtuction).

EVERYBODY -- I was told that the 4.0 northstar was in the seville SLS is this true???
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    The 4.0 liter V8 is unique to the Aurora only. The Seville SLS has a 275hp version of the 4.6 liter Northstar V8.
    OK...Seems as if no one but Henry, Zinc and
    myself are writing to this group. Oh well...

I'll go off topic slightly and recommend to all
    of you Netscape/IE5.0+ users that you should
    save your bookmark/address book files often.
    You can do this by opening your bookmarks and
    choosing "Edit Bookmarks". A new window appears.
    In that window, click on "save as.." which is a
    submenu of "File". The same is similiar to address
    books as well.

Once you have saved your bookmarks and address
    books as actual FILES, they are now "copied".
    Save them to floppies or CD's. (Or on the web)

If you ever have a meltdown, you at least have
    these very important files backed up. I store my
    bookmarks and such on the web. If you ever need
    them, it's easy to download them! No more having
    to restore your bookmarks...

Nuff Said...
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Its just not the same. There is really no new blood in the intrigue thread either. Its kind of sad in a way and it is hard for me to be excited about olds products any more, when you now there will be no new products and no new options.
    I am beginning to wonder if there will even be any 2002 Oldsmobiles produced (bravada excluded).
    I am still checking in almost daily. Lets keep it going.
    I think the new format is putting up a lot of barriers and i think that we will see more interest after the holidays.
    The aurora so far has proven to be far less troublesome than the intrigue, which has multiple problems that do not appear to be solvable. Not major problems, just annoying.
    I for one always have troble finding the conference from the list of topics. I liked it better when they had numbers. I do not feel I should have to "go on the ritual hunt" [you Trekers know where that is from] every time I want to check the board. B-O-R-I-N-G!

VWBus -- thanks again for the computer info.

ZINC -- Have you noticed any change in the number of hits to your site since the olds annoucement was made?? ALSO, great work on the site, it just keeps getting better! I like the little car going across the top.
    Hmm, without new aROARas coming out, this may well become the maintenance board for the car. Looks like the joke made back on "Aurora 2" may come to be reality.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I think bz4 means the 2001 has had less problems off the start than the 98 Intrigue when it was launched. The 99+ Intrigues have been very good.
    Yep, I meant the new Auroras.
    Saw a 2001 Aurora 4.0 in silver with chrome wheels yesterday. It was drizzling but the sun was still out, it was really a dazzling looking car the way the sun was hitting it. Too little to late i guess.
  • mantagmantag Member Posts: 47
    what a shame. i really was "considering" a 2001 4.0. i have looked at/drove the acura tl(nice, but boring), the infiniti I30( a nice pkg, but a few quality issues), the lincoln LS (no storage, cheap looking interior, and yes a 99 caddy sts.

in the wash post, i saw the "pitty" warranty 5yrs/60k
  • john151john151 Member Posts: 14
    2001 Aurora Owners - Please tell me how you like your cars - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Any problems? Would you do it again? Does the no-more-Olds news affect your decision to "do it again"?

Thanks, John
  • dman98dman98 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I've read through "AURORA 1,2,&3, but its like walking into the middle of a long conversation. Can anyone tell me if I shuold buy a 98' aurora i'm looking at on a car lot. It has the V-8 and the other few options. Seems like a great looking car but have yet to drive it, don't want to look to star struck. Any tips as to what I should be looking for, would be greatly appreciated.
    I think it was Robnis or someone who was considering an Aurora, but didn't like the shorter warranty on the 2001s. For now(I don't know how long they will be doing it) Oldsmobile is giving you 5 years and 60,000 miles. That better than Cadillac's warranty. I don't know if they are offering it yet, but I'd say soon you will be able to get a 2001 with 0.9% financing. If anyone is conseidering a new Aurora right now, I'd say go for it. Sure, the Olds brand will be gone soon, but any Cadillac dealer will be able to service the Aurora with no problem and parts will always be available.
  • john151john151 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know the particulars of this promotion? The Olds website does not provide any details.

Thanks, John
    I don't get it, I made a detailed posting of things to look for and it is not here now. Oh well, I guess i am left with just agreeing with Zinc.

I ain't gonna post it again.

H - N - Y.

Sorry
    Could someone please explain to me why the location of this topic keeps moving????
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    The Sedans topics and the other groups are sorted by "last posted to".. so the most recently posted to topics appear at the tops of the lists. I think you can change this in your preferences.
  • googsdadgoogsdad Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 97 Aurora with approx. 45K miles and have started having a couple of problems. First, when I put the car in reverse, it makes a loud grinding sound when I start backing up. It doesn't happen every time -usually only when I'm driving clients to lunch...

Secondly, the brakes pulsate very noticeably when I apply pressure to them. The pulsating is usually worse when the car has not fully warmed up but never fully goes away. I recently had the brakes checked and they are wearing well and nothing out of the ordinary was reported.

Am I uniquely lucky with these problems or are there other sufferers out there?

Thanks - Paul
  • redskin024redskin024 Member Posts: 110
    Grinding noise.... possibly the load leveling shocks.

Pulsating brakes.... my dad had this problem on his 97. check the rotors. they may be warped or need to turned. if you see anything but a clean silverish surface on the rotor, they are no good/need turning. to see if they are warped, take them to a mechanic.
    Re: Grinding noise with clients in the car. This is probably the rear load leveling suspension system. It will "air" up the rear shocks after you start the car and with clients in the car, there is more weight in the car so it may run longer. If your like most people and you start the car then immediately put it in reverse to back up, this is probably what you are hearing. The pump is somewhere beneath or just behind the rear seat and can be heard a little in the passenger compartment.
  • googsdadgoogsdad Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help. I had a hard enough time convincing the wife to let me buy an American car but this sounds like little fries and no big deal to fix.
  • rketelborketelbo Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about purchasing a '98 Aurora with 31,000 (asking $16,400) and was wondering if anyone would like to praise or complain about this car. As far as I have seen is doesn't seem like a reliable vehicle. I love the styling and performance of the car, but I don't want the car breaking down on me all the damn time. I currently own a 1993 Olds Cutlass Supreme SL and have only have the battery,alternator and rear struts go bad on me (not bad!!). I have also considered purchasing a '98 Grand Prix GTP. Would anyone like to help me out????
    I've had my '97, and to this day, I have had nothing but VERY MINOR issues with car. It is
    possible for you to own a classic Aurora without it breaking down on you. No two are alike.
    My baby just turned 50k miles and it's still running like a top. Do not be put off by it's
    lackluster history. You have to be smart and look in to whether or not it was abused. (lemon?)
    My biggest advice to ANY person considering purchasing a used Aurora: GET AN EXTENDED WRNTY!!

Now...As for the brakes. I had the exact problem. I had the rotors replaced (warranty) and now I
    have smooth stopping. The grinding in the back when you reverse IS the load levl system. It is
    just a coincidence that you are backing up when you have clients in the car. No worries.

The '98 Aurora is a much better deal than the '98 Grand Prix. Get in the car and find out! It should
    be rather obvious to you once you see for yourself

Next Topic--->
    This message board SUCKS. SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS.

There...I said it...Henry...Bookmark this page once you have logged in. I have never had trouble
    with my bookmark. Just with it remembering my login status...Grrrrr...
    Also...I am lazy. What would I pay for a brand new Aurora 2k1 4.0 (loaded?)
    The new system does SUCK. THIS is NOT progress. The old way was better. No bouncing topics, no lost postings, no deleted postings, type you could read without the BIG SQUINT. And the list goes on . . . . . . . .

I have logged in almost everytime I come here. Autologin-me is more like it, if you know what I mean (G rated message board).

2K1 - I don't know what you would pay for one loaded, but I take it you are thinking of a lease rather than buying it. I have to believe the depreciation on the car would be VERY VERY STEEP. Afterall, the 2K1 is a "Classic" already by way of Olds dimise.

P.S. Zinc - I visited the site that is trying to save Olds through a letter writing campaign (used the link on your page). Sounds a bit like an old coke and "Cagney and Lacey" strategy. However, I don't think people feel passionately about a car company.

NOw to go against what I just said. I was watching an old episode of Deep Space Nine on one of my many video cassettes of the show that I tape off the air.

Much to my surprise there was a commercial for the Aurora Classic on the tape. It was the one that shows the two door version of the car and finishes with the 4 door sedan blowing dust behind it as it SPEEDS down the road. Judging from the high rate of speed it was probably ZINC behind the wheel. DAM IT WAS GOOD!

Much better then the commercial they were running for the 2K1.
    It's not GM's style to blow away their own products! Maybe the 2dr was some sort of psuedo
    japanse representation of a 2dr luxury car. I've never seen a 2dr Aurora. Too expensive for them
    to design TWO body types. Especially for a dead division.

I am not thinking about a lease. I was thinking about taking advantage of that 0dwn 0paymt 0 intr
    for a whole year...Might as well get it fully loaded...We'll see...I have to pass this act
    thru congress first....*sigh*
    The 2 door Classic was not a production car but the car Oldsmobile ran at Lemans. Matchbox (the toy company) has a replica of the two door car that you can buy. You can check eBay (or you local toy store) if you want to see what one looks like.

VWBUS - We'll see...I have to pass this act
    thru congress first....*sigh* <<--- very Funny, I hope you have better luck than what Bush will face.
    I do not know how to post a vdeo on the web. given the time and the information, I have to believe it would be a long download.

On another note, I came into the original launch materials for the Classic. If anybody wants a copy you can email me. There is no charge but you must send me a postage paid self addressed envelope. I only have 4 or 5 books to send. Zinc posted some pictutes from it on his website. Please note that the book is very large (not thick) so it requires a very large envelope.

I used the large mesh fedex envlope to send it to Zinc. However, the post office would not let me use it with the federal express logo showing on the envelope, so best to turn it inside out.

Henry
  • twenty20twenty20 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings!

Anyone with experience in resetting the oil life indicator on an Olds Aurora, please let me know or post it on the Old Board. I purchased a 1995 Aurora last August and it's down to 50% per
    indicator. I like to change my own oil & filter and need to reset the indicator without bringing it to the Olds Dealership. Thanks in advance for any assistant. Twenty20Visions@Netscape. net
    I would like one. Just email me with the info and I will send you
    the envelope and maybe some Disney stuff if you gimme the
    best one! Ha ha ha...

??
    I may not know how to do it right now, but I know it is in the manual
    for the car. It's something you can do and it involves holding down
    the eng key or something.

Zinc...Henry...Do you guys remember this one? Olds always does it
    for me...I get free changes because I squawk...
    I would pay invoice or a little less. The saleesman gets a spiff of $400 anf the general manager gets $100. So you should be able to get it for less than invoice.
    I don't think there was ever a 2 door aurora. You are refering to the IMSA car that looked like a 2
    door(like the nascar taurus) but the doors were inoperable(there weren't any doors at all). It was a showcase for the aurora engine and the car was unsuccessful because of it size and lack of development.
    It was really neat looking though.
    Just hold down the reset button on the driver info control panel. You need to hold it down for 15 to 20 seconds. Just keep holding it down while it is setto read out the oil life and you should be okay.

I had to deal with this one myself.

Henry
    Yes it was the IMSA car. You seem to know more about the car than I do. The commercial called it a 2 door Aurora. I was just going by the advertising.
    I have two commercials actually. One for the Aurora itself and the Amoco commercial that features the Classic as the car the guy leaves in the airport parking lot (Both cars are the color of mine - Champaign -beige to everyone but GM). The only thing is, I do not know where the Amoco commercial is in my tape library. I do have two VCR's but the copy will probably not come out that well. Is there a way to hook the VCR to the computer and put the commercial on a CD with my CD-R? I believe the VCR format is already digital. (VWBUS are you out there?)

To answer your question, I can send you the commercial. I must admit I yelled out "GO AURORA" by the end of the commercial. I always pictured myself with a cloud of dust behind me (Clayton Moore eat your heart out).

Zinc, not everybody is fortunate enough like you are to be able to have 130mph drives in their aROARa.
  • joeoldsjoeolds Member Posts: 39
    Just bought a 98 with 19k miles. Am planning to buy extended svc contract. Currently looking at one from American Guardian sold by warrantybytel, and one the dealership sells from universal warranty corp. Both plans are the "bumper to bumper". Just wondering of any experiences good or bad with any of these plans, or suggestions of other plans to look at. The one the dealer sells costs about 3-400 more, but they will waive the deductible at their shop. Also I feel they would be more likely to go to bat for me in a dispute over a covered repair since they sell that companies product. Any insight would be appreciated. Also does anybody know where a person can get a good deal on the 12 disc delco changer that goes in the trunk?
    I've been an Olds enthusiast since my 1st car(a 67 442 that was 10 years old). I currently own 2 442's (both 71s) a 71 vista cruiser with a big block and ram air, a 73 cutlass supreme, and a 70 cutlass that Im putting together for my daughter to drive to school in a few years. We just traded my wifes 95 LSS for the 98 Aurora mentioned in the previous post. When Olds announced they were hanging it up we decided it would be a good time to update her driver with a more current Olds. Initially went to look at Intrigues, but felt it would be a step down from the LSS. That is when we discovered how affordable the 98 & 99 Auroaras had become. Once I drove one I was hooked. This car would give my 442s and ram air wagon a race, and might even win. There is nothing like the feeling of driving a high performance luxury car while jammin' to Ted Nugent. Anybody out there know what kind of quarter mile ETs these cars turn.
    Nugent rocks!! Congratulations on the Aurora, does it have the Bose audio system?
    No Bose system. However the standard system in this car is one of the best factory radios I've ever heard. I set the tone equalizer on the jazz setting. I think there may be quite a bit of variability between individual radios. A 99 we test drove with the standard radio sounded like crap. Only option our car has is the white diamond paint job. As I mentioned in a previous post would like to add the "correct" cd changer and corresponding trunk panel to this car. Any ideas on where to get a "deal" on these pieces.
    Anyone out there know what will become of the IRL (Indy Racing League) Aurora engines as Oldsmobile is phased out? Oldsmobile has quietly (thanks to the lack of advertising) won the past 3 Indy 500 races. Will GM kill this off also?
  • docjohndocjohn Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2001 Aurora 4.0 with 5500 miles on it. (The previous owner "just had to" trade it on a Ford F150 "Lightning" SVT super-truck). I've only had the car for about 2 weeks now and the cruise control has already quit working. At first, it would cut-out every time I hit a bump on the highway, and now it will not work at all (no indicator light or anything). It is scheduled to go into the shop for repairs on Thurs.
    Has anyone out there had similar problems with their cruise control? I have heard that the Aurora has a history of electrical problems and I hope that this is not a sign of more problems yet to come with my first GM car.
    Speedvision said olds is commited for at least another year to IRL. The engine may be rebadged later.
    Docjohn, havwen't heard of too many problems with the new aurora. Probably just a typicla GM cruise problem.
    Actually I was watching Speedvision news last night and my questions were answered. The Aurora name is indeed good for one more year and the engine program has a long term commitment with a new name. I wish GM had stuck with the CART program rather than going with the lower profile IRL. Only good thing is, GM is notching lots of Indy 500 wins.
    Yeah, but who is watching. Until Ganassi fielded a car this year interest in indy was at a all time low. I don't like this split between the two. It has hurt CART and the indy 500. Cart has had four ultracompetiive years with lots of competition and passing but who cares? Its ratings are at an all time low also. I think that CART will move to a normally aspirated engine for cost reasons and the Olds engine would be a good bet. If they go the stock block route which may not happen.
    The CART cars are just too fast and expensive.
    I went to the inaugural Miami race in march 1995, it was at the bicentennial park which is near where the cruise ships dock and the causeway that takes you to South Beach.
    I was standing on one of the people mover platforms above the roadway when Michael Andretti came by at 140 mph and shifted into fifth gear!!
    It felt like the earth had stopped rotating and a nuclear bomb had gone off. He then proceeded to prod everyone one his cars' 900 horsepower for the next 100 yards where he jumped on the brakes at the last second for a hairpin turn to the right.
    I have always had dreams of being a race car driver but I don't even think about it anymore. Those guys are insane and talented all at the same time.
    If you have never seen an open wheel race in person do it, it will put the fear of god into you.
    Television seriously dulls what these gladiators do on a weekley basis.
    On a side note for those of you who have not been to South Beach, everything that you have heard and seen is true, there really are girls who roller skate in their bikinis, everyone is beautiful, and i felt really old.
    VWBUS --- The Dimensions of the book are 13 1/2 by 11 1/2. Please make sure envelope is big enough.

2nd --- I have made the decision that I would like to put the Caddie North Star engine in my 95 Aurora Classic. I had first thought to just bore out the engine block back to the original Caddie liter size. However, I was told that it would be better to get the Caddie block itself and drop it in the car since the former approach require too much precision drilling (that I am unlikely to find).

QUESTION -- Can the Caddie Engine block be put into the Aurora?

I am assuming that if I get an engine from a 95 Seville STS, I should be fine (after all that is where my performance chip came from).

Any thoughts on how easy/difficult it would be easy to do?
    I agree on the Aurora's base system(at least on the previous version) it is one of the best factory brand systems. My father's 95 does not have the Bose, but the system still sounds pretty good. I found that the best sound is to put the tone control on manual and increase the bass and treble controls. The Jazz setting is probably the only one that is close to what I like. The other settings are worthless. On my father's Aurora, I turn the treble all the way up and the bass about 1/2 way between the 1/2 indention and the maximum setting, increasing it at times.
    After attending at least one CART event every year for the past 10, I can honestly say I would still drive on if offered. While the speeds seem insane, one gets used to it after lots of practice and over time. I am a big CART fan and hope that ratings do go back up. Ratings in countries like Mexico, Brazil, Canada and Britain are rising. I think the addition of some more American drivers would help ratings in the US. The split has indeed hurt but I think CART can survive, it will just be a more international series.

As for the IRL, the Indy 500 is the only thing going for it. Perhaps over time, things will get better. I doubt it though.