Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• coyboycoyboy Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    When looking into a policy for extended warranty, don't overlook a company found on the net known as Autowarranty.com. I did a lot of research and found that this company offered the most coverage for the least price around. I got an 'exclusionary' policy (means that they have a very short list of things not covered like brake rotors and pads, struts, i.e. normal wear items plus things that don't normally break down like body panels, trim, etc. but everything else not on the list is covered). I'm covered for 6 years/ 60K and it cost around $1150. For an extra $75, you can buy $0 deductible. I figured that would help me sleep better especially after reading on this forum about transmission modules and whatnot.

So far, I've had my 95 for 6 months and 5K miles and haven't bought anything but gas and oil. Oh, and new floor mats!
  • redskin024redskin024 Member Posts: 110
    etharnon>>>> it is too bad we got that info AFTER the engine blew. the car is nice to drive but before my dad invested over $8000 in it i suggested a used Aurora with a extended warranty. He was mad that i was right about that car, and mechanics have confirmed it: that year and engine and car spell trouble. two days after the engine change something broke in the ignition and had to be fixed. but now the way i see it is if he gets the interior and vinyl top redone, throws on a coat of paint and takes care of it, it could last him a while. but anyways....

vwbus>>> the were "Vogue" wheels/rims, whitewalls close to the rim with a gold stripe.
    the Aurora was also featured in Motor Trend's 21 car, Car of the Year test. It wasnt the car of the year though, it lost out to the glorified Neon, the PT Cruiser. The Aurora was also a competitor in Car and Driver's 10Best competition, although again, it didnt make the list. It would be worthwhile to note that no Mercedes or Lexus made the list either, though.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    To me, MT's COY has become a joke and C&D's 10 best is not what it used to be. I still haven't received my January issue. One question, is the Dodge Intrepid or Chrysler 300M still on the list? Those two always baffled me as their is absolutely nothing spectacular about them.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Do you guys remember the Car of the Year scandal from a few years back? A former Motor Trend editor was interviewed and he said that the editor's voting tallies were always changed to a winner that would provide the magazine with the most potential advertising.
    Something I always wondered about.
    They say that they don't do that anymore, but how do we know.
    However I do think that the PT is worthy of COTY status because it is a segment buster and a original. GM doesn't have the guts to do this kind of vehicle.
  • jim0011jim0011 Member Posts: 7
    I just leased a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI ; it is one month old with 600 miles on it (I think 19 miles when I picked it up).

Friday night (12/08) I was at the movies with a friend of mine. Moments after starting the car to leave it was determined that my car is on fire! It burnt most of the upper rear portion of the engine block area; the rear half of the intake manifold (or engine) shroud burnt away also. I’m afraid a great deal of that plastic/chemical smell is now entrenched in my interior. One of the firemen had told me, with a qualification he was not trying to be bias in any way, “they” will try to tell me anything but two things would be for sure. He said the car in all probability would never be the same electrically (something about heat traveling along wires) and the smell would always be there.

The reason I’m on here with this story is that I’m looking for someone that has had a similar incidence as mine and could give me some feedback as to the details of their experience.

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. I’m am posting this in a number of sedan areas to try and get as much response/help with this as I can, I apologize for any inconvenience it may cause.
  • touringsedantouringsedan Member Posts: 8
    Jim,
    I had a 1963 SS Impala that caught fire, and the fireman is right. It always smelled bad and had little problems all the time. After a year of repairs and things it caught fire again. This time no one could save it.
    Just my 0.02 worth.
    Good Luck
    The PT Cruiser is unique and I guess could be a segment buster, but an award like car of the year should reward engineering and excellence. I just don't see the PT as being a car of the year. It's unique, but doesn't really impress me. I guess I'm more about substance and less about style.
    jim>>>> if the car caught fire at 600 miles, id be taking it to the dealer to find out WHY, and then asking for a new one if it was determined to be faulty worksmanship. You may be covered under lemon laws too if faulty worksmanship is found.

etharnon>>>> neither car was on the list, but i believe they were competitors for te 10Best. Neither was in the Car of the Year test. b4z may have a point. winning the car of the year and being on the 10Best list is gonna give the Cruiser some advertising power, by beating out some very high-end cars.
  • adpdougadpdoug Member Posts: 1
    Hi all - I'm a virgin to the board but have read with much interest. Considering a late production 2K1 Aurora but have noticed a disturbing design "feature". Dash seems designed to resist any efforts at modification - specifically installing a neat little phone mounting device called the ProFit. Anyone here know if there is one made for the new Aurora and if it actually fits? Thanks in advance.
  • dcchristopherdcchristopher Member Posts: 9
    I was thinking of a few things ...
    a) trunk lid spoiler; saw one in the dealership and it makes the car look really sharp! Too bad though they wanted $1800 for it ... are they insane? The spoiler option for the 98 intrigue cost me less than $100!!! Spoilers4Less sells one for under 80 but unpainted. Sportwing sells a custom-made one painted (colormatched) for around 250. Check it out.
    b) K&N air filter; it's just that I'm not sure if the Aurora's filter is worth replacing. A car so "peppy" should have a pretty decent filter right? In any case, they're only around $40.
    c) fuel ionizer (via magnetic fields); you've probably seen them, they are sold under a bunch of names one being Super Fuel Max. It costs around $100 but if anyone's interested we can get 12 of them for $250 (for potential distributors!). They claim it aligns the fuel's molecules to enhance combustion. This would work great with the K&N filter.

So, any thoughts on the above items? Has anyone altered their cars? Any other ideas for add-ons?

DCC
  • vwbus1979vwbus1979 Member Posts: 42
    Re: Fire! Help!...Jim...I took my '97 Malibu
    back to GM and told them where to put it...
    They said they wouldn't take it back, but once
    I filed for arbitration, they immediatly took
    the car back.

Now your situation is a little different, although
    I am certain that the fire was caused by poor
    manufacturing...I hope you realize that you cannot
    have this car anymore. You don't WANT this car
    anymore. It stinks and it's been damaged at an
    early age. (Oh...AND it's a GM) So with that,
    march back to the dealer and politely ask them
    to return the car (exchange it) for another
    one. If (when) they balk, simply call the
    GM 800 customer care number. If (when) they
    balk, simply file arbitration in your state.

YOU ARE COVERED BY YOUR LEMON LAW...A Fire at
    this early stage is NOT your fault (unless you
    parked it on a pile of dry leaves!)

NAIL THEM...I MEAN IT...
    Ditto! The longer you wait the more likely GM will take advantage of you. You are the one making payments and you have the right to drive a new car. If the give you problems go to arbitration and call NHTSA. I have procrastinated on getting GM to buy back my intrigue and i will be the loser because of it.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I wouldn't jump to conclusions. The press is always quick to do that, but GM officials deny any such plan. I also doubt they would kill a division as they are introducing new models (Bravada in 2 months).
    A fond farewell to a great marque.
    If GM does indeed dump the Olds line, does this
    mean our Auroras are even MORE valuable (down
    the road, of course) ??

Well...I'm a proud owner of an olds, but thats
    because I have their top of the line car. If
    I wanted any other type of car, it wouldn't be
    an Oldsobile. I don't really find any of their
    cars appealing...

:(
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    VWBUS, you not only have a top of the line Olds, you have an entry level Cadillac. Us Aurora owners should not be too disadvantaged by the change since Caddie can service the car. It will be the body parts that will be hard to find. Start buying those parts now. Thw center console will be my first purchase. A $700 "investment" for the future, but not a big expense considering the car.
    The part about ending Olds that I do not understand --- everywhere I look there is an Alero looking back at me. The cars are selling, so what is the problem?? The article said Olds has a reputation for lackluster design.

Well the Classic certainly changed that, but the car is NOT branded as an Oldsmobile. My 95 does not have the Olds nameplate anywhere on it (except the radio).

However, "the kids" must agree that the 2K1 can be looked at as lackluster compared to the Classic. I still say the 2K1 looks too much like a Taurus.

As far as the Auroras being more valuable.

Surely you jest!

(The only thing falling faster than the value of my car is my investment in Priceline.com.))
    In case anyone is interested, I decided to buy a Gateway computer with the Anthon processor. Thanks for the input. By the way, just landed my first NEW client, guess I can afford the YUGO I always wanted.

((So much for cars no longer being made being valuable.))
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Pontiac next? Nah! In your dreams....I think Buick needs to watch out, they could well be next. In the end the only divisions remaining will be Chevrolet, Pontiac, Saturn, Cadillac.
    I ran to this thread as soon as I heard but I guess everyone knows. First I thought about the "rare" model hype and then came to mind the worries of servicing. I wonder which will prevail if any. All I know is I want to "zing" zinc1: "Who wants an ugly car that breaks down?": well, take a look at this thread and all the "Classic" owners! OUCH! I can't tell you how sorry I am to say this but really, how can you attack the 2K1 and fall in love with the 95+? I am so tired of people referring to them as bloated Saturns or Taurus's. The car looks great. It doesn't share any features "exactly" with any other car so let's not insult it. Let's all stick together and calm each other's fears (especially 2K1 owners like yours truly) now that our cars' resale values just dropped by half! Now I know how Apple stockholders felt a month or so ago. Take care folks.
    Tom Brokaw's announcement of a 5 year phase out seems to be awfully long and drawn out. At least we will see the new Bravada.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I can't see people wanting this car knowing the brand is outta here, when they could just buy a Trailblazer or Jimmy. Will it be different enough as an Intrigue is to an Impala or Grand Prix? An Alero to Grand Am?
    Bravada looks very good, and is very different inside and out from it's GMC and Chevy cousins. I know it would have done well, but with this news today sales may suffer. Hopefully people will see how good Bravada is and buy it!
    What do people here think will happen to Aurora? My guess is it will become a Buick or just die. If it dies, GM will loose the only hope it has of competing with cars like the 3.2TL. I pray they have the sense to keep this car going cause it really is a gem in the GM line up.
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    I think the Aurora is doomed. It's the slowest selling of all the models based on the G-body. It certainly doesn't fit into the Buick or Pontiac lineup. Some people have suggested that it looks like a Saturn (at least in the front), but people interested in $30,000+ cars aren't shopping at Saturn dealerships.
    headlights look like the aurora's from what ive seen.
    making this list were the '95 Aurora and '98 Intrigue. check it out at the last link that Zinc posted.
  • dobie110dobie110 Member Posts: 19
    play the violins, olds is done. after the slowest year in sales in decades, and with an unrecognizable marketing approach, and a new aurora that does'nt know what it wants to be, olds. has to bow. they needed some spark over there that they never got, and certainly a new designer or 2. I'm not a chrysler fan, and would not buy one, but, they sure have 1 up in their design studio. they needed one of those guys in on the new aurora. where did they ever come up with that design, is it a small car trying to look large, or a large car trying to look small. It looks like an eclectic mess to me, and for 30K? and the "it's not my fathers olsmobile" slogan cofused people more about the divisions image. oh well, maybe something better will be around the corner, and I think as zink said, buick better be on their toes, I think the ax is still swinging.
    This is a sad day for car enthusiasts and Olds fans indeed. I was a bit surprised, I thought Olds would have tried a different marketing approach. Heck, I have a lowly Political Science degree and I could probably market Oldsmobiles better than they have been the past 2 years. The Aurora should go to Buick to replace the aging Park Avenue(and come only in 4.0 version). I still think this is a bad move. And I'll agree, the next division to go will be Buick if things don't turn around there soon.
    DCC are you a little sensitive about the appearance of your 2K1?

Want to "zing" someone?

Who was it that said:

#565 of 636: b4z: speaker hissing noises ... (dcchristopher) Sun 12 Nov'00 (01:16 PM)

. . .[Henry] I am flattered that you have been looking out to get me but please, I am only here to exchange info on the Auroras.
    My intent in quoting you in the above post was not to "zing" you. People on this thread like their Auroras, that is, depending on whose garage its parked in (i.e. yours or the dealer's).

Zinc was not calling any Aurora ugly, but was making a reference to the other cars in Olds recent line up. Did you really think a Cutlass, or Delta 88 looked sharp?? Maybe the Cutlass did in 1984 (the last year it changed its look) but not for the 90's.

The Aurora can't go anywhere except back to Caddie, the place it came from in the first place. But I doubt Cadillac would take it.

Finally, the 2K1 does look like a Taurus and the Classic looks like a Saturn on steriods.

That's Life!
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    I would venture to say that Buick and Pontiac buyers do not have as high a standards for their 'machinery' as did the newest Olds buyers.

Pontiac fans are more turned on by body cladding and multi colored tail-lights than "true performance". Its an easy sell to push average cars on these buyers. Just make the cars look more like a Batmobile and make the exhaust louder. Throw a couple hood scoops on it while you're at it.

Buick fans are more interested in a comfortable cushy cruiser than in a vehicle that can match the world's best for vehicle dynamics or assembly quality. As long as they get a solid feeling car with a pushrod engine that makes no noise on its low rolling resistance tires...as long as the seats are as soft as the living room sofa.

In fairness to Buick, their vehicles are pretty solid and reliable.

Which is why Olds was unfortunate. Forced to seek new markets Olds had to court buyers used to higher standards. And they had to try to play at that higher level. GM just is not set up to do that and hence, Olds fell. But the Aler, Intrigue, and especially Aurora made their mark for being perhaps GM's best.

I don't think Buick or Pontiac will move to embrace any of Old's customers, because GM is

too stupid (they don't care if they lose that many vehicle sales)

and

they don't want to play on the higher ground with the Germans and Japanese.

In the meantime, the Aurora is perhaps GM's best. Albeit in 2k1 form not as distinctive as in the past but of a better quality and a bit too high pricetag.

I can't believe the Bonneville lives on.
    zinc: Wow, nice car. Perhaps it will be a Chevy or a Pontiac some day.

You know, if Pontiac would cool off on the cladding I might be a little more interested in their cars. The only one I like is the Grand Prix which somehow escaped the "clad".

As for the Aurora, Buick is most likely to get it, followed by Cadillac. I think it will be one of the last Oldsmobiles to die (if not the last). Perhaps if I'm lucky I can get one before they disappear.
    What is up with all the gray same sized buttons all over the interiors of Pontiacs?
    Nice picture Rex!

Now that would have been a nice looking car!

So Olds can make a car that loks good, they just don't do it that often.
    I doubt cadillac or buick would want to pick up the aurora, that is a big part of olsmobiles demise, so I don't think they would have any desire to pick up a nameplate with negative baggage attached to it. the new model was not received well, and to keep it alive it would at least need some attractive desireable traits to have another division want it. the original aurora had something going for it, it was sexy and attactive in an unusual kind of way, but, they really blew it with the new one, it's just down right bad!!
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    da da da da da da da da
    da da da da da da da da
    da da da da da da da da

batman!
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Is that a streched Sunfire?
    dobie110: I solidly disagree with your statement
    about the "negative baggage" with the Aurora. The
    Aurora has quite the following. They sold many
    units of the 2k1 and Buick will gladly take the
    engineering diagrams and incorporate them into
    the buick line...When I look at the NEW Olds
    logo, it reminds me of quality and the solid feel
    I get when I drive my car. They made a good change
    to the line, but it was just too late. Competition
    got to stiff and Olds got the axe. The Aurora may
    die off, but the "idea" behind it will never die.
    GM has a good thing. They know it and they will
    use the "technique" in another GM car someday.
    Making concept a reality is a big thing these
    days. That's what works for Chrysler
  • myfunsunmyfunsun Member Posts: 15
    Why didn't gm get rid of buick first!! This line is nothing but a dying one with all the old folks that drive them!! They could have taken the new Rendevous and slapped on some Olds badges!! This would have increased the sales!! Why go through all of the trouble to make great reliable cars and then give them the ax? Oh well the bean counters have spoke!!
    that's scary. It did take me more than 2 sec. to decipher which car was which. I am not bashing GM I have a '00 gm product just to let you know, but why can't they build some more exciting looking cars. I would never buy a chrysler, but, man, they have some great looking cars. aside of the corvette, and eldorado (and that design is old), gm has all mundane looking cars. ford is going through the same thing as GM, good cars, but they need a winner in the style dept. too.
  • robnisrobnis Member Posts: 78
    Maybe since Olds is going belly up, they can offer some big rebates of the Aurora at at least put back the orignial 4/50 warranty. I think I could be persuaded to buy one then!
    Man, I can't take a day off from reading this thread without Henry acting up. First of all, to zinc1: I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way, I was just taking advantage of the set-up! Plus, I was merely trying to balance out the comments on the two cars' aesthetics. Most of the time you hear bad things about the 2K1's so my innocent joke had no one person in mind, definitely not zinc1 who sounds like a nice person. Second, Henry .... tsk-tsk-tsk ... did you not get enough hugs when you were little? Perhaps too many? Do me a favor and lay off, would you? As originally stated I'm only here to exchange info on Aurora's not Aurorians! You started it, I didn't and "Oldsmobile Aurora 2" is still around to prove it. You made assumptions and bad jokes, then didn't get it when _I_ made a joke. Let's just make this the last one-on-one since I doubt anyone is interested in this kind of activity. If you have something personal send it over to my personal address, it's listed.
    Zinc1: who's Stratos? is there another demetri here? take care.
    I believe you responded to my first post without reading the second.

Such is life.

ZINC - I was wondering why so many new people were posting to this thread.

ANYBODY - Is there a way to make the type on this NEW AND IMPROVED board larger??
  • rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
    You can adjust the font size from your browser. In Internet Explorer 5, just select "Text Size" from the View Menu. I'm pretty sure Netscape would have a similar feature. This works for almost all web sites too, not just Edmunds.
    Has anyone ever had this happen?

I take my Classic in to the dealer and when he takes a code from the car, the code conditions always have me going faster than I actually was going. The computer has said I was driving as fast as 137 mph when the error code was registered. Now aside from Zinc1, I do not think of any us drive that fast. Certainly I was NOT doing 137 mph but the car thicks I was. Does this type of false speed indications have an effect on the car?

Please note, that these false speed readings predated my Caddie performace chip installation.

Henry

P.S. Thanks for the font advice.
    Anyone have their struts/suspension worked on?

My '97 feels bouncy on the road, so I had the dealer
    check out the suspension. They said that the struts
    (all 4) were worn and needed replacement. They
    quoted me over $1k to replace them.

Is this common? Is this because of the auto-level?
    This new system of messaging is weak. It's obtrusive and
    very annoying. It makes me "log" in so I can post a message,
    yet when I click on the log-in link, it says I am already
    logged in. *DUH* It's called a cookie and the old message
    board used them. Tell your message client to work out the
    kinks BEFORE they release the software to us users. Thanks...

*sigh*
    I replaced all four shocks/struts on my 95 Classic. However, I replaced the front struts with KYB structs for better performance in the curves (helped to minimize the body roll). I then replaced both load leveling shocks in the back. The car drives so much better now. I remember the rear GM shocks were over a hundred a piece. I cannot give you an exact price for the suspension job because both of my cars were done around the same time and I do not remember which numbers went with which car. I would just suggest that you try the KYB's in the front. I used the GM shocks in the back because every mechanic/store I went to said to stay with the factory shochs for the load leveling system. You can get regular shocks in the back and defeat the load leveling system. I chose not to do this since the load leveling was a featurte of the car that I paid good money to have.

Any word on what the new values on our Auroras are after the annoucement of the end of GM (I mean Oldsmobile)??

COMPUTER TIME AGAIN -- Now for another trip off topic -- Any suggestions on scanners/printers. My problem is that I need a scanner that will take legal size paper as a scanning source. All the "flatbed" scanners I have seen take only letter size paper. the only exception is XEROX. However, the Xerox scanner/printer does NOT scan in color. The best I have seen is the HP scanner/printer/copier that does great color, but not legal paper. The "fax style" scanners are not good since I may need to scan in pages from books. Any suggestions???