Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza WRX

1218219220221222224»

Comments

• Options
    jbinloomisjbinloomis Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody heard of or seen this problem?

MY sons 05 impreza was just diagnosed with having all of the coolant hoses in a state of needing replacement and the dealer will not replace them under the warranty:

History:
    Recently had the radiator replaced 2 weeks ago due to a rear ender. Car came back from the shop fine. a week later oine of the coolant hoses ruptured. Car is towed to dealership. Insurance company gets involved and rules out the body shop. they tested the coolant and it was fine. Dealer says that since my son had an aftermarket air intake and blow off valve, the warranty is not valid. they quote $1200 to replace all the hoses, as they are swollen and are cracking from the inside out. My son has not changed or added anything to the radiator since he purchased this car new in July 05.

I don't believe that the blow off valve or intake has anything to do with the condition of the coolant hoses. Subaru corporate customer service agrees with the dealer.

Thoughts?
    thanks.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Perhaps different types of coolants were mixed in at one point? Did you ever have Jiffy Lube "top off all fluids" when getting service?

They've been known to drain the gear oil out of Subies instead of the engine oil.

-juice
  • Options
    jbinloomisjbinloomis Member Posts: 2
    No, Jiffy Lube will never touch this car or any car I own. Nobody knows how this happened, but they are positive it isn't a manufacturing defect.
  • Options
    famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    You guys see the 2008 WRX pics today on the net? Around several places. Looks pretty good. Interesting to see that the glass in the doors are now framed as in the Tribeca. Also looks like LED taillights. Intesting....
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    framed? Looks like I'll need a wider garage. :(

-Dave
  • Options
    merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Does anyone care to predict what Subaru has in store for the new platform? If Subaru wants to have the same kind of impact with the new model as they did with the original US model, I think they will need to seriously up the ante. Mundane cars like the Honda Accord now have similar performance. I suspect the next STI will need at least 375 HP, and 400 would really give it crediabilty.
    The new model is rumored to be based on a shortened current Legacy. If that's true, might there also be a Legacy STI? I sure hope they offer an STI wagon, preferably a Legacy.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The new model is rumored to be based on a shortened current Legacy.

It's true—and not that much shorter either. I also expect it to be a lot more refined than the current model. Think Legacy, Jr.

Bob
  • Options
    aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    I honestly don't see the issue with the Haldex system. No one with a Speed6 complains about it not working when it should. No one complains about the Volvos that use the same system, either.

Vehicles equipped with the Haldex system do not have a center differential and function solely with sensors/hydraulic transfer clutches. It is similar to the cheaper (non-VTD) Subaru EAT AWD system, which too lacks a Center Diff and function with sensors/Hydraulic transfer clutches. These function like a front-wheel-drive most of the time. I think even VW used it in some of their cheaper 'Quattro' setups. Just an aside.

The Subaru manual AWD system (all except STi) has a Viscous Center diff that allows a 50/50 front/rear power distribution. The VTD equipped EAT Subarus (and stick-shift STi) have a Planetary Gear Center Diff and Transfer clutches that allow a 45/55 f/r power distribution (slightly different default distibution in the STi). So purely from an AWD perspective, I like the Subaru system (with Center diff) better. But I guess the Mazda has been tuned by its designers to handle extremely well, in-spite of its part-time AWD system.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Of the reactive systems, Haldex is one of the better ones. I got to drive a Volvo S60 FWD and AWD model back-to-back, and you could feel the difference even though I wasn't slipping around.

I still prefer that the rear axle get some power at all times, though.

-juice
  • Options
    mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    I have a 2002 WRX wagon with 50K miles. Great car; no problems, fun, lots of room for golf clubs and other stuff. Only drawbacks: turbo lag although only a minor annoyance, no leather seats, no sun roof, poor stereo, no climate control system, a little noisy. I went by new dealership today to get some oil filters. There on the floor was a 2007 wagon just the way I want one: red, beige leather, sunroof, climate control, 17 in wheels.

I DROVE IT AND I WANT IT.

I have not been investigating deals. Are there any out there for trade-ups or other incentives that are worth considering? I need something to rationalize buying something I don't need.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Mike
  • Options
    supercarfansupercarfan Member Posts: 1
    I have not yet found anything on the 2008 STi (except for the false photo of a hatch back coming to the US). Here is what I found about the FUTURE...

http://thetenthevolution.com

enjoy. i still love my 06
  • Options
    aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    The specs sound nice but that grille in the front looks ugly, even though I guess it is supposed to evoke a 'mean machine' look.
  • Options
    merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    There seems to be a lot of serious competition creeping up on Subaru's WRX and STI. Subaru has held things close to their vest in the past. Mitsubishi was rudely surprised by the STi very shortly after they proudly unveiled the first US Evo. I'm hoping Subaru has more up their sleeve. I'm hoping for BIG power increases, front LSD's across the board, better gear boxes, brakes and STI wagons both in Impreza and Legacy models.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Thursday, so that means Subaru Crew chat time! Stop in and chat about Subarus (or all the other stuff that comes up)

I'll also be picking your brains for dicsussion suggestions for the Subaru vehicle groups as we reorganize the forums. Your input and assistance is greatly appreciated!

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    mysagemysage Member Posts: 1
    I have planned on buying a WRX wagon for the last 4 years. Now that I am ready to do it, I have a delima. I recently inherited a 1800 lb pop up trailer (for camping) and I need a vehicle that will tow it. The WRX is rated for 2000 lbs, but has anyone every towed a trailer like this with a WRX? Any suggestions? :confuse:
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    it shouldn't be a problem, but I believe you will need trailer brakes on anything over 1,000 lbs.

You must be looking at the auto? Forester manual (same chassis) has 2,400 lb, but 2,000 w/auto.

John
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    As part of our forums reorganiazation, we're closing the general, everything in one pile discussions like this one and breaking out smaller discussions that deal with various aspects of the ownership and upkeep of the Impreza.

Here in the Subaru Impreza Group you will now find discussions such as:

New Subaru Impreza Owners - Give Us Your Report!
    Subaru Impreza Test Drive - What Did You Think?
    Subaru Impreza Real World MPG Numbers
    How Much Can My WRX Wagon Carry?
    Subaru Impreza Accesories & Modifications
    Changes You'd Like To See in the Subaru Impreza
    to mention a few.

You will also now notice the Subaru Impreza Maintenance & Repair Folder which you can find above the list of discussions on the main group page. In that folder you will find the "problems" discussions set up to cover the major areas where you may have a question or problem, such as:
    Subaru Impreza Engine Issues
    Subaru Impreza Brake Questions
    Subaru Impreza Tire/Wheel Questions

When you are ready to post, please check the discussion list for the appropriate place for your comment or question. If you have a question or issue that doesn't yet have a discussion set up for it, please use the Add A Discussion link to create a new one. This is especially true of comparison discussions. Rather than try to set up all the possible combinations of vehciles you may be shopping beforehand, these will come up as users create them for vehicles they are comparison shopping.

There will be a bit of dust until we get things moved around, but we're getting there.

Thanks for your help in making this group a great source of information on the Impreza.
This discussion has been closed.