Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• buddhajonesmdbuddhajonesmd Member Posts: 1
    I've just recently got turned onto the Impreza's, especially the WRX's so I'm a bit new at all this. I'm going to be graduating from college and getting a job in mid March which happens to be the time when they are supposed to start showing up. I would just love to get one as my first car but obviously price is going to be a factor. I live in the Bay Area and would like to know if anyone out there knows of any dealers in this are that are willing to sell for under MSRP? Any information would be extremely helpful. THanks
  • ottosottos Member Posts: 80
    Well, I think that cranking the engine is the same as letting it start. If the oil pump is connected to the crankshaft, which is standard, the oil pump only works when the crank is turning anyway, so it doesn't matter if you're cranking it or the engine is turning itself. Neither way makes a big difference over the other, that is for sure. The only way to help your engine in a big way during startup is to have the oil pump run first, before the engine is turned. Like an external auxiliary pump would be a good idea.

As for breaking engines in. We here at Ford's dynamometer lab still break-in engines, so our modern engines still require it. But each engine might require a different amount of time. So just read your owner's manual, because the company that wrote the manual knows the most about the engine. Reading the manual is a very good idea, and the repair manual straight from the mfg'er is better.

As for warming up the engine. Idling for 60 seconds is probably neither harmful nor helpful. But you certainly don't need to do it that long. Idling actually warms the engine very slowly, when the goal is to warm it is as quickly as possible. Warming the engine completely is one of the best things you can do for it. And the best way to warm your engine is just driving off after you start the car. At Ford's dynamometer lab, we give the engine about 30%-40% throttle and hold a low RPM like 1000-1500. That's the same as you running in high gear and accelerating moderately.
  • scythescythe Member Posts: 4
    ahh thanks silver_bullet I didn't know you could get a brochure. My brother had gone to a Subaru dealership near here and they didn't have any.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    I doubt if the dealers have the brochure yet - as far as I know, you have to request one from Subaru directly, or get one at one of the larger car shows touring the country right now. When I placed my order on 1/13, my dealer said he didn't have any information on the car at all, not even pricing. I asked him if he had internet access, and he said yes. I then asked him if he knew how to use it... and he just said nothing official had come from Subaru yet - so I pulled out some pages I had printed from the SOA website and showed him the info, which included pricing (SOA announced WRX pricing on 1/9/01). When are car dealers going to learn that some of their customers have brains, and occasionally use them? It is sad, but I've come to view dealers as just another hurdle between me and what I want to buy, as opposed to a business partner who could actually add value to the buying and ownership experience.

Ottos, very good info on break-in and warm up. The "pre-oiler" feature you mention is available from racing supply companies like Canton-Mecca. It is a rather elaborate and expensive set up, but it might make sense for megabuck racing engines and the like. I just follow the manual, allow a brief period at startup to get all the fluids flowing, and drive gently until I have some oil temperature. I also run full synthetics like Mobil 1 and Redline, and change them religiously at 3K miles along with the filter.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    There is also merit to the argument that you shouldn't start using Synthetic oil too soon. There are repeated stories on the VW Vortex of people who switched right away and experienced oil weeping because the piston rings didn't seat properly. Apparently, Synthetic oil is too slippery for proper break in.(?) Of course, some high performance engines COME with Synthetic in the crankcase (Corvette, BMW-M-Cars, Porsches, etc) so who really knows? :-)

I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic in my Passat Turbo when I hit 23k miles. This was conveniently when my "free" VW services were finished. I experienced about a 2mpg increase in average MPG, noticably smoother running, and noticably easier cold starts with the switch. In the 10K+ miles since the switch, I have experienced NO leaking, weeping, or excess oil consumption.

It is also nice to be able to change the oil less frequently. VW recommends 5k oil change intervals with conventional dino, I go 7500 with Synthetic. Synthetic's better resistance to oil line coking is nice too.
    A question for those of you with turbo car experience (or even those, like me, who've never owned a turbocharged car): Why does one "need" a boost gauge? I note that many current turbocharged cars (like the 1.8T VW/Audi) don't provide a boost gauge. Since it is a given that you are going to be under boost while accelerating, and approaching maximum boost when you've got your foot in it, what's the point of the gauge... er, isn't it just telling you what you already know? Kind of like having a gauge to tell you it's daytime when the sun's out :) Oil temp and pressure gauges I can understand, but is the boost gauge just for "sex appeal"?
    silver_bullet,

I think that if you are modifying your car at all and pushing more boost than stock, then it would be useful.

Otherwise, I don't see the point either. The money would be better spent on a turbo-timer.
  • outbackguruoutbackguru Member Posts: 25
    I realize some dealers are ignorant and some play games but don't throw us all into the sea. Many car sales profesionals truly love their product, enjoy working with people and try to honestly make a living. Subaru customers tend to be well educated which tends to drive down prices I think. in the case of the WRX MSRP pricing is quite fair, it's not whether the car is sold at invoice, list price or more, it is whether you are getting value for the cost of the car. the wrx is worth what it costs. SOA didn't tell the dealers ahead of time about the new WRX site, most found out officaily days or a week later. and for those of you who are going to shop all over creation for a 1000 off MSRP or something like that, keep this in mind. With typical 60 mos. financing a thousand dollars changes your paymetn about $20 a month. If you budget can't allow for $20 a month then you shouldn't buy a new car period. Now let's go put some WRX's on the road and show the US publice what a Subaru's can really do.
  • littleredwagonlittleredwagon Member Posts: 5
    I agree that with a non-turbo engine you might as well just start it up after an oil change. Here is why it matters on a turbo: the turbo DOESN'T SPIN if the engine is not firing. If you change the oil and start the engine, the turbo spins immediately, but the oil pressure doesn't come up for a few seconds. You are spinning the turbo with no oil pressure. If you disconnect the ignition (or fuel injection, a better idea, I hadn't thought of that), then you can get the oil into the oil pump and flowing without spinning the turbo. Then when you reconnect and start up the engine, you have oil pressure immediately, just like a normal start. If you think you'll own the car for 70K miles and then get rid of it, don't bother. If you're looking at 200K plus like I am, do everything you can to make it last.
  • rbladerrblader Member Posts: 28
    Sporin is correct. Another point that I want to add is even on some cars that have a boost gauge, the gauge isn't very accurate at all. So if you are doing some tweaking with boost level especially if using a cheap manual boost controller, an aftermaket boost gauge is recommended to ensure a more accurate reading of your boost. Too much boost can blow up your engine.
    Another useful gauge to have on modified turbo cars is an EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature ) gauge. This gauge is mostly used to ensure that the engine is getting enough fuel at wide open throttle/high load/boost/rpm conditions. Not enough fuel causes a dangerous lean condition which could cause detonation(excessive knocking) and extremely high temperatures which could melt or crack pistons, valves, head gaskets, etc.
    EGT gauges are often used in conjunction with larger injectors and an air flow computer such as an APEX Super AFC. It allows you to tweak the injector cycles to increase or decrease fuel flow into the combustion chamber at a given rpm and throttle position.
  • mjgplmmjgplm Member Posts: 4
    I do not think that the post in question was asserting that the WRX was not worth its asking price. Simply put, the asking price has a margin built in for the middle man(the dealer) who is, very often, a source of frustration(due to the ignorance of the product and people and things in general) for the end user who already knows what he wants, but must go through this agonizing processs. Where is the value in that? In my opinion, dealers should earn that margin I live in Los Angeles and I can tell you that the people selling Audi, BMW, Porsche and Lexus are the same idiots who were selling Acurac, Mazda, etc. just last month before they got fired. Examples: Porsche Boxster has a 4 cylinder; BMW M3 is fater and handles better in an automatic trans; Acura Integra is RWD, etc. It is not easy to buy a car here. And the only thing saleshacks seem to know relates to price: "we just don't have any room in these cars." If they hire these idiots to sell the cars, who are they hiring to service them; those guys don't even have to talk to the customer. Perhaps their social skills aren't quite as polished - YIKES!
    I certainly have nothing against people wanting to make a living - I'm fond of eating and paying my bills too :) I agree that the WRX is going to be a great car, and I have no quibble with the MSRP - but please don't try to justify "added dealer markup" and other scams. Greed by another name is still greed, and consumers resent getting treated this way - say, aren't you a consumer too? I'm not going to call a bunch of dealers and play games just to save $500 - it isn't worth my time. Keep in mind that your argument that "$1,000 financed over 60 months only costs you $20 a month" doesn't mean much to a cash buyer. IMHO, if you have to finance a car for 60 months, you can't afford the car...
  • bedabibedabi Member Posts: 149
    There's been a lot of talk in related forums of aftermarket parts that can increase the HP of the WRX in terms of increased turbo boost. Is this really a safe, reliable and legal option? I've never owned a turbo car myself, and outside of the warranty issue, I'm curious if this is a realistic modification. Will it pass emissions tests? They're pretty rigorous in NYC.

And I agree with silver_bullet. Whether you're quibbling over $500 or $1,5000 to get what you see as a good deal, the feeling that you got a good deal on a car will last as long as any 60 month loan.
    Moderate modifications is safe, reliable and legal if done correctly. Otherwise, it could literally blow up the engine and void the warranty. Again, if done correctly, modifications shouldn't affect emissions. I live in California and my moderately modified '92 Talon Turbo AWD has never failed it's bi-annual emissions test. But to minimize the hassle of being questioned "What's this? Is this part CARB-approved?(California Air Resources Board?) Let me see the certificate!", I do try to make the car "look" as stock as possible. Many turbo engines nowadays are slightly detuned from the factory as a safety/reliability cushion. These engines can really handle a little bit more boost without adverse effects. Turbo engines are designed to have stronger "bottom end" compared to normally aspirated engines. It means that valves, pistons, cylinder linings, etc are designed to be more stiff to handle the extra pressure and temperatures. If you're after even higher boost increases, a good rule of thumb to follow is "More boost needs more fuel" which means you will have to invest on fuel pump and bigger injector upgrades and you're going to need something such as an air-flow converter computer to control the the bigger injectors. Turbo engines also respond more favorably to higher capacity exhausts and intakes. So that's a good place to start without even messing with the boost. I would think that our version of the WRX will have a lot of common parts (for ease of manufacture) with the Japanese version of the WRX which makes about 250hp. The difference in horse power is probably due to the availability of higher quality/octane gas at the pump in Japan and AVCS which allows it to rev higher. The WRX STI even makes more power(280hp)due to it's higher boost and forged pistons, freer flowing intake and exhaust etc.
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    Apparently the WRX engine is semi closed deck. So it can handle some power without exploding. It used to be closed deck I believe. However the current Impreza engines are open decks.

I think with a good cold air induction kit and better exhaust, you can yield some pretty darn good power from the WRX. I would say 250hp is quite easily obtainable with a few hundred dollars.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    The boost gauge has as much purpose in normal driving, and for most drivers, as the omnipresent tachometer has on an automatic, or the rear spoiler on a car that can barely hit a hundred (and never will), or the fake hood scoops, etc.

Many American are happy to look like they could go fast, if .... And, with the way most of my fellow commuters drive, I'm glad they don't really try!

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • havochavoc Member Posts: 27
    If dealers don't treat the customers right...then they don't deserve the sale, IMHO. Treating the customer right does not mean gouging. SOA set an MSRP, but I really am going to try my hardest to get the best possible deal I can. Don't expect us to fall in like sheep and line up for MSRP only pricing.

Earn the sale by offering negotiation. If car dealers don't clean up their image and reputation then pretty soon you guys are going to get bypassed when people start buying cars direct from the manufacturer.
    I can't wait until US publications publish fifthwheel-measured acceleration numbers. The UK version of the WRX which apparently has 12 less horsepower (215) than ours (227) has been tested as fast as 5.7sec in 0-60 (5.5 using "extreme methods") while ours is supposedly capable of "only" 6.1sec. Must be weight differences?
    I love the location of that intercooler. Although it somewhat limits the size of the intercooler as far as potentional upgrades go, it's proximity to the windshield washer lines begs for a home-made water sprayer system. The washer fluid reservoir is pretty good sized too. The one on my current car probably holds as much fluid as my coffee mug. :)
    Turbo charged cars in general like high octane fuel due to the artificially high combustion chamber pressures and temperatures while at boost. High octane gas minimizes detonation/knocking, prevents too much timing retardation(less power) and helps your engine run relatively cooler. So use the cleanest and highest octane gas available at the pump in your area. However, try to avoid(or minimize) use of octane boosters in a bottle. While some of these things may provide temporary and short term benefits, prolonged or long term use could cause build-up of harmful deposits in the combustion chamber. Some of these (especially alcohol-based) may even decrease the efficiency or even damage the oxygen sensor, fuel system and the catalytic converter. Also, when it's time to replace your spark plugs, avoid platinum ones. Platinum plugs are good for longevity. But it runs hotter and could contribute to knocking. Choose colder range spark plugs and replace them more often.
  • epicuruxepicurux Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the good advice, Rblader. Regarding to the point you made on the platinum plugs, the WRX is actually factory equipped w/ platinum plugs assuming the brochure is accurate. Any thought on that? By the way, do you know the detail on Subaru's AVCS? Is it more like Honda's VTEC, BMW's VANOS, or Toyota's VVTi-L?
    actually if you go to grassrootmotorsports.com, there is a review of the US WRX and they manage to do 5.7seconds to 60 quite easily and with some hard launching....5.5 to 60mph.

If you look at the intercooler of the WRX, you can see that it's slightly off to the leftside (driver side). It leaves some space for the hood scoop to draw air to cool the turbo itself! Pretty neat desig if you ask me.
  • ottosottos Member Posts: 80
    waaah, definitely don't disconnect the spark plugs. It's just wasting gas, if you are starting cold. And guess what happens if the engine (and catalytic converter) is hot! Yes, the catalyst goes up in flames. Well, not really, but don't be surprised if you see red-hot catalyst material dripping from the catalyst shell, hehe. The best way to crank your engine after an oil change is disconnecting the fuel injector wires. Littleredwagon knows.

Just a side note. Don't be afraid to run your engine hard sometimes. The wear to the engine is not much more than ordinary driving. I'm just saying this so you can enjoy your cars the most. It's not hurting it, but it is even helping it. When the engine is first started, soot forms and some fuel leaks into the oil in the oilpan. There could be some condensation in there too. With high-load operation, your engine runs hotter and you burn off the deposits. Also your oil gets hot, evaporating the fuel and water.

So take your engine to the gym and work it out. unless it's sick.
  • traetrae Member Posts: 8
    I am interested in the new WRX, but I want a sunroof and I can not find any info about this option, if it is a option!!!!!
  • viet2viet2 Member Posts: 66
    I think the best way to prevent oil starvation during start up for both the engine and the turbo is to buy a preluber. There are two kinds; One is a electric oil pump which draw the oil from the oil pan and pressurize/circulate the oil before start up and after shut down. The other kind stores the engine oil pressure and release the oil back to the engine when oil pressure is low. A solenoid valve is used to hold the oil and release the oil after shut down. The problem is to find a quality build pumb and valve.
    You're absolutely right Epicurux. The WRX will come with platinum plugs from the factory. Subaru probably just prefers the longevity of platinum plugs. Platinums are really okay for regular daily driving where you don't get on the boost too much and at extended periods of time. But if you're an aggressive driver or for spirited driving such as in autocrossing or drag racing where you need to stand on the throttle for extended periods of time, definitely use colder range plugs. They retain less heat than platinums. They definitely won't last as long as long as platinums. But your engine will make more power during extended wide open throttle conditions and last longer. It's a trade off. You're sacrificing plug longevity for power and engine longevity.
    Speaking of longevity, another thing that you can do, especially during the hot summer months, is maximize the efficiency of your engine coolant by raising it's boiling point. Coolant fluid temperatures in turbo motors relatively get much higher especially if you have a water(coolant)-cooled turbo. During heavy throttle use, you can minimize localized boiling and overheating of coolant passing through the turbo by using coolant additives like Redline Water Wetter. Boiling coolant (steam) is less efficient than coolant in it's normal liquid form because there is less contact and heat transfer between the metal and the coolant. Maximizing the cooling properties of your coolant will make your turbo last longer and your engine as a whole. And just like what a previous post says, use synthetic oil and change it regularly. Always, always, always warm up the engine before driving and let it cool down before shutting it off. Believe me, you will remember to do all of this after the first time you pop the hood at night and see that the exhaust manifold and the turbine housing are glowing red.
  • rally1rally1 Member Posts: 6
    If you want to know how healthy your car is, you need gauges. If you trust the dealer every 20,000 miles so be it.

Turbo gauge, you want to see the max boost, and just as important the vacuum at idle. Oh yeh you want to know if you are running over boost:

http://www.best.com/~talonts/mods/piston.html

I dont think everyone needs a gauge pack, but for those used to it (Talon/Eclipse owners), and those who are talking about increasing HP, it's a no brainer. Most T/E owners have two, the inaccurate stock one, and the one they added themself.

also- why does a car forum not know "turbo" is a word in its spell check :)

• viet2viet2 Member Posts: 66
    Rally1, I got an ideal about lowering the coolant temp.. Not sure it will work with the Impreza but it works with my SVT Contour. I will just switch the thermostat for a lower temp. stat and "fool" the computer by altering the Engine temp. sensor resistance value. That way the engine will run cooler with out the change in air/fuel ratio set by the manufacturer.
    The Impreza is going to be a exciting vehicle to drive and modify, Can't wait.
  • bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    Well, it is Hyundai Accent WRC model.

It has 300hp turbo intercooler engine and 6-speed manual transmission. 0-60MPH? within 4.5sec.

In WRC(World Rally Championship), it is a real dark horse.

Reliability? I have no idea but.. maybe Hyudai's 10/100,000 warranty will be applied.

Price? should be cheaper than its competiors.

http://bbs1.adwars.com/read.php?table=mildbreeze&no=26

http://myhome.naver.com/mildbreeze/menu3.html

Have a safe driving!

• kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    No sun roof. There is a structural bar in the roof of the car that increases body stiffness and blocks the location of the Sunroof.
    I am one of a small minority of people who can't stand sunroofs and trunk mounted wings. Hooray for Subaru! No mandatory sunroof, and the wing is optional. Why anyone would want to put a hole in the roof and add the weight and complexity of a sunroof is beyond me - just my opinion. Although gadgets can be fun, I'd gladly forego the fancy stereo, remote keyless entry, and probably the power windows and locks if I could have the brake setup fitted to the European WRX. I've owned cars with and without all the toys, and I've discovered I rarely miss them when I don't have them. When the driving turns serious, I shut off the stereo anyway to minimize distractions.
    I'm with you on that silver_bullet. :-)

If I get a Rex, it will be a blue or black sedan, no wing, and I'll keep the stock 16" wheels. I *might* lower it an inch on stiffer shocks and springs when the first set of shocks wear out though.

I like "sleepers." :-)
  • bedabibedabi Member Posts: 149
    I'm also with silver_bullet on that. Cars should not have wings! I would've liked a moonroof (I'm a long torsoed 6'2"), but structural rigidity and safety are a good reason as any to forgo one. In fact, the WRX's ugliness appeals to me more than any other car on the market. Just the thought of this warthog speeding away from a slick BMW 3 series makes me grin! On both dry asphalt and especially the snow!
  • jacamaniajacamania Member Posts: 1
    Anyone has any ideas on what kinda insurance premium we are looking at? I was told that turbo-charged cars often get the highest rates...
    I've been dreading the call to my insurance company to see what the projected premium will be on the WRX. I'm 44, with a completely clean driving record, but I'm not confident I'm going to like what I hear. Insurance companies hopefully have enough experience with turbo cars to know that "turbo" doesn't necessarily spell "trouble" - there are cars like the low-pressure turbo Saabs and Volvos that are pretty sedate. I think the rates are largely based on claims frequency, and power-to-weight (uh oh) ratios, so the news may not be pretty :(
    the wagon looks more sleeper that anything. It is sedate looking. No one owuld suspect it to pack such dynamite performance.
  • FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    The question about the dealer was interesting.(To recap even though SOA announced WRX pricing he didn't know that it was available). Does SOA actually inform it's dealer network before it releases a press release with pricing information (I can't imagine that it doesn't even if it is only a short time before the press release..). However there is always some people that "Don't get the word". Perhaps the person that gets the SOA announcements is on vacation, or backed up, or even the salesperson that you are talking to was off the day that the SOA announcement was made. Still I would think that it would be in the salespersons best interest to be as well informed as possible.. (Of course there is alot of turnover in that profession and you may have dealt with a Subaru novice... And we have all run into non-enthusist salespeople.)
    FrankMc, point taken, except I bypassed the salesmen and went right to the dealership's general manager - he's the guy who took my deposit, and told me SOA had not announced pricing. Maybe the guy doesn't really get into his job, who knows. Personally, I think it is just part of the typical "shell and pea" game that car dealers play - they deny reality, and try to discredit any information the consumer has acquired from outside sources. ATTENTION CAR SALES PROFESSIONALS: I respect your right to earn a living, and understand your time is valuable. Please remember I'm a busy guy too, and I'm not going to walk into the second most expensive financial transaction I'm likely to make (after a home purchase) uninformed. Don't be surprised when I bad-mouth you and your store, roast you on the SOA survey, and go elsewhere for my next new car after you rake me over the coals on my new WRX. Have a great day.
  • anulieanulie Member Posts: 4
    I plunked my $500 down for right of first refusal with Lou Fusz Subaru in St. Louis. They were knowledgeable, courteous, and ironically relying on the same Subaru homepage the rest of us have been using to determine pricing (at $23.9k for sedan 5spd); they too were aghast at rumors that 17" BBS wheels may turn out to be a $3000 option.

Heres a suggestion: BBS lookalikes: Do the Impreza RS test at www.discounttiredirect.com and check out the "Wheels" page "Interactive Wheel System (requires shockwave)", Go to: "Subaru/Impreza/Sedan" (You get to see somebody else's wheels on your car before you steal them).
    Look at the following models starting at $949 including performance tires: MAS Callisto 17" KONIG Rush 17" ENKEI TBS11 or ENKEI RMR (I believe the ENKEI's are ringers for the BBS's).

Hard news: There are 175 vehicles scheduled to deliver to Midwestern stores and 161 have been sold. The dealers apparently don't get the car delivered without a buyer commitment. Best Regards.
  • FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    The General Manager of a Subaru place should know if pricing is available or not. If I were the GM and had that conversation with you I would have been embarassed and wanted to make sure that I had the info so that it wouldn't happen again... (On the other hand maybe that's why I'm not a GM)

Frank
  • wrc555stiwrc555sti Member Posts: 12
    Most of the Subaru dealerships in my area are part-timers (they have Honda, Audi, and subarus). When I go to a Subaru dealership. I always ask to see a "Subaru Specialist." That way, I don't waste time talking to someone who doesn't have a clue how AWD and LSD work together...
  • duvernoisduvernois Member Posts: 6
    My State Farm rep didn't have any info on the WRX. When I had both a turbo and non-turbo Volvo at the same time, their rates were essentially identical---though these were 13 and 14 year old cars respectively... My guess would be rates would look like the Celica All-Trac Turbo rates when they were introduced (i.e., death-traps for young drivers).

Lest we forget, the Subaru doesn't exist in a vacuum, even in the States we did get that Toyota, as well as 911 Turbos, the Saab 9000 Aero, the Volvo T5s, T5Rs, and Rs, the old Omni GLHs and Mazda 323GTXs in the past. Let's just hope that VR-4s, Evos, and Skyline GT-Rs follow the WRX.
  • jawsiejawsie Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks!
    I have an Impreza RS 2.5 and was wondering if I can add a turbo to it and atleast bring it upto par with the WRX .....
    any suggestions?
    have a nice day,
    jawahar
    no a turbo RS is not a WRX. It is a turbo RS. Having said that, head over to www.impreza-rs.com.
    There you can find many Impreza fans and some do turbo their cars. With moderate boost levels, you can be in WRX power levels and I know a few who gone further and is pumping out 250-280hp with their normally aspirated Imprezas.
  • wrxanswerswrxanswers Member Posts: 21
    I don't have all the answers but I have a few. Most of it you probably already know if you try to stay well informed. And most of you do. A little tidbit, I heard from a very reliable source that there will be 500 yellow ones. 250 sedans, (half auto, half manual) and 250 wagons the same way. I also know for a fact that there are no exact prices yet. I have seen a brochure though. I expect exact prices soon. I can tell you this, the chances of test driving one at a dealership is not real good. Some of you in certain areas will be able to, but most of you won't. For those of you who want the WRX for the power but have never driven a Subaru, go now to your local dealer and drive one. Then just imagine it really fast. In April I will get to drive one on a race track. I will keep you informed.
    wrxanswers, I don't mean to sound ungrateful or suspicious, but you sound like my dealer! SOA HAS announced pricing on the cars and the options (not the BBS wheel prices, though I may have missed that), although changes to pricing and specifications can occur at any time. This is not a secret - SOA released the info via a press release on January 9th. Most enthusiast publications that don't have long lead times (like AutoWeek) have dutifully printed what SOA gave them. As far as driving one on a track in April, SOA has stated that cars will be arriving at dealerships in mid to late March, so maybe I'll be driving to the track to watch you in my own WRX :)
    As you said prices are subject to change. No 100% definite prices have been set yet. As we all know the suspected price is $23,995 for a 5 speed. I read yesterday that the suspected price for a wagon will be 500 cheaper. As you stated the WRX will be on lots by mid March. I also read yesterday that the price on the wheels will be about $3000. I, like you, have a hard time believing that to be true. And yes I am a Subaru dealer. But unlike what you have come to believe, not all dealerships are created equal, and neither are the sales consultants. I am sorry that your dealership is full of ignorant [non-permissible content removed]. Maybe it is time to go to a new dealership. Like I said, and you chose to ignore, I don't have all the answers. I am on the internet everyday, and on the phone with my Subaru Rep, every few days, trying to learn more info. Unlike you, I feel that I can learn more by talking to people on the net, and not pretending I know everything. If you really read my statement you saw that it said no exact prices were set yet. Then your answer was that SOA said what suspected prices were but were subject to change. I also said that most of you who stay well informed will already know what I have to say, yet you still feel the need to bash me. Once again I am sorry you have such a sorry dealership, but don't take it out on the rest of us who are just as eager to learn all we can about the WRX, and share that knowledge with other enthusiast. For the rest of you out there, if you learn anything new, I would appreciate the info, I will in turn do the same.
  • outbackguruoutbackguru Member Posts: 25
    It seems many of you have run into some uninformed dealers and cams too. If your dealer doesn't know anything about the WRX try another one. IF you go to a multii line Subaru dealer ask for the sales manager or a Subaru specialist they should have one if not both working there. Maybe I'm biased (I sell Subaru) but most customers and salesman are fair minded. In the case of the WRX, MSRP is a fair price, no need for ADM or tricks. On other models I appreciate the fact that people want a good deal, I like to tell my customers "I won't ask for list and you don't ask for cost and we'll be fine" Buying a car should be FUN, it should really be fun when you buy this car (WRX) if it isn't try another dealer!
  • dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    Can the WRX seat 5? My next car will probably be a 4 door sedan. It has to be able to seat 5. If the WRX can it will probably be my next car (Even if I don't really like how it looks! You cannot ignore this cars performance!)
    Yes it will seat 5. The size of the car will be along the same size as a Honda Civic. So you will not be blessed with tons of room but you will have the capability to seat 5. I don't have my brochure in front of me so I can't give you exact dimensions. You should be able to get a brochure from your local dealer or check one of the many Subaru sights for exact dimensions.
    I am also a Subaru sales consultant. I am glad that you have a desire to make the buying proccess fun, because it should be. I had the same advice, if you don't like your dealer, go to another one. There are plenty of dealers out there who will treat you right and be happy to have you as a Subaru customer. I work in IN. Where do you work. Have you had many orders for the WRX?
This discussion has been closed.