Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    jgranatajgranata Member Posts: 70
    i'm not totally familiar with your a/c problem, but here are some things to consider about the first dealer you went to: if you went there due to a lack of a/c, and they discovered that there was a leak in the system, and you chose not to have it repaired at that time, i don't think they could refill the system legally, without repairing the leak. i could be wrong, but i believe they're not allowed to knowingly release the refrigerant to the atmosphere if there is a known leak. jackg
  • Options
    sugar300msugar300m Member Posts: 61
    Glad to see this board is still very active. I have not contributed in a while; 99 non php M has been great. One window failure & one tranny input speed sensor. Things do change, sorry to read Av, Ruski, Fuzzywuzzy (& others) have bailed on their M's...good luck with the Acura's. Hope the Dr is recovering from surgery. SDMike, Roger2k - hope your situations have been resolved or you're at least enjoying some time off. Glad Beach & fam were alright after their wreck & good luck with the truck. Was it Scotian who got sandwiched in a wreck also? Hope all is well with the rest of you long term M'ers & congrats & all the best to all who have purchased/leased an M or a SpecialM. I still love the car (even after Mrs. sugar300m bought a bmw 530i in March - great car).

I chime in because even as i write, my M is in the dealers service with a bad a/c. They charged & did the leak detection dye last week & of course, two day later its blowing 'cool' not cold( big difference when its 95 degrees out). I'm at 59,181 & extended warranty runs out at 60,000 so I'm hoping not to get ripped for this repair. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Sugar
  • Options
    psterpster Member Posts: 293
    Thanks for the support, advice and assistance folks. It really does help. Sugar....your problem sounds similar to mine. The a/c gradually started blowing "cool" but not "cold" air. After the first dealer did the dye check, they must have emptied the system because it blew hot air. The good news from a comfort viewpoint is that a cool front came through St. Louis last night - the weather's great now! But I am running the a/c to get the dye working. Fuzzy....rest assured, I am not bending over. I have a complaint file set up with Chrysler Customer Service. I am holding off pushing further until the second dealer confirms that it is the evaporator. I had a great thought last night.....if the evaporator is the problem, I may just get the system charged ($60) and then trade it in to a - you guessed it - another Chrysler dealership and buy a used car from them! Or...I may just buy another new 300M. Let me be clear, I LOVE the 300M to heaven WHEN IT"S WORKING! Fuzzy, I'm pretty sure that they use a recovery system on freon when it is extracted. They don't release it to the air intentionally. One thing I forgot to mention: the a/c went out after the car had been sitting for a week and a half in a very hot garage while I was on vacation. Could that have had any affect on the a/c?
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    OK, I'm an attorney, but the following are just theoretical musings, NOT legal advice to anyone:

If you have a car that can go 140mph, and you mount tires that are rated only up to 118, what is the risk of legal liability?

1. If you are driving. You should assume that you will be found negligent for any accident caused in the U.S. while you are driving the car over 118 mph, regardless of whether there is tire failure. Driving at that speed anywhere in the U.S is illegal, and it would undoubtedly be found to be a breach of the duty of reasonable care that every driver owes to passengers and others on the road. Whether a tire blows or someone pulls into your lane in front of you, most juries will probably find that YOU caused the accident, at least in part, by driving at that speed. Exceeding the speed rating of a tire may make an accident more likely (the tires are now in danger of blowing), but this can be avoided if you simply never exceed the speed rating while you drive.

2. If someone else drives the car while you own it. That driver would likely be found negligent for any accident caused while driving over 118 mph (see above). However, most states allow juries to apportion percentages of fault among multiple parties who are found to have been partially at fault in causing an accident, and liability for damages is allocated based on those percentages. If this accident occurred when a tire blew at speeds higher than 118 mph, would you be found negligent? Under negligence law generally, one only has to exercise reasonable care to prevent injuries to others which are reasonably foreseeable. I think the owner could argue, if he loans his car to another person, that it was not in the least foreseeable that that person would drive the car more than 45 mph faster than the highest speed limit in this country. However, if the owner is in the car while this happens, or if the owner loans the car to someone who says he intends to drive at >118 mph, I think the possibility of a blowout would be foreseeable. What is the owner's duty if he loans the car to someone else? Arguably it would only be to warn the borrower that the car's tires are limited to 118 mph and forbid exceeding that speed. If you don't get it in writing, that person could always deny it, though. An injured third party could also argue that it is foreseeable that the borrower would ignore your warning, and that you breached your duty of care by putting "inadequate" tires on the car and then loaning it to someone else.

3. If you sell the car. I would get a written acknowledgment signed by the buyer that the car has tires limited to 118 mph. The buyer should then be responsible for how the car is used.

Bottom line: Is there some potential of legal liability if an owner puts lower-rated tires on the car? Yes. How high is that risk? Probably pretty low if the owner will never exceed the tires' lower speed rating and is quite careful about who else will drive the car. Personally, I plan to keep V-rated tires on my PHG M, but that's not because of legal liability issues. ;-)
  • Options
    when the dealer or any shop for that matter, puts the dye into the system to facilitate finding a leak, the system is purged of refrigerant and the
    dye and refrig are added back into the system. the
    eq that the svc dept uses recovers the refrigerant
    so that it doesn't escape into the atmosphere.

having a/c work done on a car is kinda like being between a rock and hard place...if they detect a leak, it must be fixed or the system cannot be recharged, legally. this has been my experience...they must be careful...they could lose their license and incur a nasty fine. jackg
  • Options
    Den: the web site you referred to in your previous post is intriguing. Actually, $1450 doesn't seem too bad for a contract on my car with 45,000 miles. However, it says it starts at the time of purchase? So, a 3 year/100,000 mile contract is already expired? I am assuming that a 45,000 mile 300M is not eligible for a service contract now. Am I correct in this?

Also, if I buy a new Chrysler 300M, is this Des Moines dealer legit? Do they underwrite the risk themselves or re-insure? Is it the same contract all Chrysler dealers sell? Sorry for all the questions, but if I get a new car I'm getting the contract. Thanks, Phil
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    If the system is low or empty, the first step is to take a refriferant "sniffer" and check for escaping refrigerant. If no leak is found, the normal and usual procedure would be to either top off or evacuate and recharge the system while adding a bottle of fluorescent dye. If the leak is immediately obvious and you choose not to fix it, the refrigerant must be recovered to eliminate the refrigerant leak into the atmosphere. However; if no leak is detected, the car must be driven until enough refrigerant leaks out to leave a dye trail from the point of origin. Usually the customer brings the car back when the A/C loses it's "cool". The one caveat is when the evaporator core has a slow leak, as that unit is completely enclosed and cannot be inspected for leaks with an ultraviolet light without partial disassemble. That's no fun.
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    I'm not positive, but here is my understanding:

1. DC dealers can discount the price of DC extended warranty contracts as they wish; it just cuts into their profit on the sale of the contract. This dealer offers a significant discount, as does at least one other (see the FAQ page of the Club's web site, www.300mclub.org). I think some owners have gotten their local dealer to match the price that these guys charge for the contract (makes sense, why would your dealer choose not to sell it and make a small profit, if they know you will buy it from another dealer otherwise). My understanding is it is the official DC extended warranty, the same as if you bought it at your dealer.

2. Yes, I think all of these start from the date your car is put into service. If your car has been in service for three years and has 45K miles, buying a three year, 100K warranty would do you no good.

3. I think you have to buy a DC extended warranty while your car is still under warranty, but I may well be wrong on this point.
  • Options
    All "new car" warranties start from 0 miles and day one of delivery of the vehicle. These offer the best coverage for the lowest price. Usually there is a surcharge for cars above x miles/moths since purchase, which may increase with time/mileage. Also, there is usually a minimum amount of warranty life remaining (possibly one month AND one thousand miles remaining on the original factory warranty). Different manufacturers have different policies.
    Used car warranties can be purchased on cars beyond the warranty period. They ususally are not as inclusive and cost more. Also, some manufacturers may only allow them to be sold on used cars at the time of purchase. Others may allow purchase at any time, but may require a that a dealer inspect the car for pre-existing failures.
    If you call around, you may find a dealer willing to sell the extended warranties for $100.00 over cost just to sell one more. There may be contests going on or dealer bonuses at certain levels, that aren't public knowledge. It can't hurt to try.
  • Options
    mrl859: you sound knowledgeable - that is precisely what the first dealer's service dept. did. They told me they traced the leak to the evaporator with a sniffer. I did not tell this to the second dealer's service people because I wanted an unbiased opinion - although I suspect the first diagnosis was probably correct. I am scared to death of rattles and squeaks resulting from a dash r/r. am I being overly paranoid, or should expect problems resulting from the dash removal (other than the high labor cost)?

Denverm: I think you correct on all accounts. I will look into using the discounted warranty prices to negotiate when I buy one. RUSSKLASS told me as I recall that he was able to get almost 50% cut off the price of his from the dealer. The way I figure it, it really doesn't have much if any value for the first three years, so discounting it by at least $200-300 for the time value of money is a given.
  • Options
    kenvankenvan Member Posts: 19
    Hi
    Since our son was born, I haven't been in here for a while, but I have a problem on my 2001 300M. I remember maybe a year ago, there were several people (including beach15) who had problems with their interior lights intermittently going on and off, regardless of how the switch in the dash was set. Does anyone remember what they did to fix it?
    Also, my cruise control turned it self off in the middle of a trip (including the indicator light) and didn't come back on until I had stopped and re-started the car. Anyone else experience this? Thanks.
  • Options
    kenvankenvan Member Posts: 19
    Also, I tried to use the search form on the left of this page to search for the answer before posting, but it doesn't seem to work...is there a way to search the forum?
  • Options
    I have used the search feature only once or tiwce, but when I did it worked quite nicely.

Phil
  • Options
    splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    DenverM - 118 is only 43mph faster than the highest speed limit in the US, and up until fairly recelty, was a 'legal' limit :D Montana has a daytime limit now of 75mph on some roads (65 in the evening) and up until recently was unlimited on some highways(ok, I'm being picky - can't help it, just for fun :) . So I believe that nixed that due to some 'issues' with cars going 65 (not a bad speed) and cars going 125 - you get that hitting a wall at 60 thing going and it hurts... That's why I say 'legal' since I believe they stated it as 'driving within the limits of the road' or such. But otherwise, I do agree with the rest - anyone travelling those speeds would be liable, regardless of the tires.

As for warranties - a 3/100k would depend on what kind of warranty. If it's a chrysler warranty, they specifically state that the years AND miles start from 0/0. However, many aftermarket warranties state that the years start from date of purchase, but the miles from 0 - therefore a 3/100k purchased on a 2 year old car would run till 5yr/100k.
  • Options
    Pster:I am fairly knowledgeable of car repairs. I've worked in dealership service departments for the last 25 years. Yes, there is the possibility of dash rattles. Hopefully not. But what is your choice? I presume you are unable to do it yourself or we wouldn't even be discussing this. Like I tell all of my customers, you have to trust the people who work on your car or find someone to work on your car that you do trust. A good technician should be able to do whatever repairs are necessary without creating any new problems.
    Kenvan:It is most likely the headlight switch.
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    My 5* replaced the Body Control Module for a different problem, but I was also hoping my very intermittant "light show" would be cured too. It has occurred once since replacement, so the problem is probably the light switch or rheostat (or whatever electronic equivalent of a rheostat they use these days.) Good luck!

Silver Bullet
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    lol! Love that picture of the muffler installed upside down. Think your installer would have noticed that he had to make two different sized pipes to the back! Still love those tips. Once mine rust out that's what I'm gonna get. :)
  • Options
    My brother and his family are visiting, and they're getting Big Red while I drive my family around in the mini-van. It's very, very strange to see Big Red in my rear view mirror. Nice looking car though. LOL!

Oh, some news here too. I start a new job on Monday. Thanks everyone for you good wishes. :)
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    sdmike2-

CONGRATULATIONS on the new job. Hope all goes well. Have you checked your e-mail? ;-))

fastdriver
  • Options
    Yeah! Thanks! I bet that convertible WOULD look nice in Inferno Red. :))
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    sdmike2-

You bet! Inferno Red with white leather! ;-)))

fastdriver
  • Options
    I have 3 kids and 2 dogs!!! Nothing white stays white. lol! Time for me to give up my computer room / guest room to the guests again. Goodnight all.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    congrats on the new job--guess you'll have to cut back on golfing now---as far as the dogs go, if you dont want to dirty the nice leather in the M, as I previously suggested, you could build a cage and adapt it to that nice black trailer hitch ---keeps them outside the car and they get a nice breeze as a bonus--dogs love wind flowing through their fur..
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Congrats on the new job, now you can start saving for the next Carlsbad meet ;) Do they have an opening for Doc, too? We have to get him out of NJ.
  • Options
    Go to the www.300Mclub site and on the boards go to General discussions. Click on the Route 2002 and sign up for the Chrysler Test Drive. Maybe we can all get together and have a meet there. If we have enough members so up, maybe they will let us drive our M's on the course to test them aginst the Special they will have. The dates are December 5-8 2002 I hope to go Saturday, or Friday (6 or 7th) We could show them what Chrysler should have done to the cars.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear they are not having one up in the north west, they probably figure it is too cold up there in December.
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    I'm driving to NYC for a week at the end of the month. I don't want to put the wear on the Acura so I went to dollar to rent a 300M for that week. Unlimted mileage, 300M for 1 week was $598! My jaw dropped. Last time I rented 1 it was only $298 for the week. Maybe because it's labor day week? But a $300 jump is crazy. They had a special of $250 for a week, with an Intrepid. I took that deal. Maybe when I pick it up, I'll see how much they would charge me to upgrade to the 300M. Hey maybe they won't have any Intrepids left :)
  • Options
    i don't think they will need to take your dash out for the evap...it's done from the engine compartment...the evap is hard to sectionalize for a leak since you can't really see it without
    removing it...it's not so much internal; the leak
    is from the coils, generally, and only when it's
    removed, can you see the leak.

the costs of checking the system can put a new perspective on extended warrantys. especially with
    a/c problems. the systems are very complex and if there is a problem with the compressor and the problem is not diagnosed soon after the fault occurs, the entire system can be contaminated with metal shavings and now you are talking about
    thousands of dollars (no kidding). this kind of problem is much more apparent because generally you can hear the compressor starting to go. sometimes, it's just the clutch and that's not too
    bad, cost wise...couple hundred...but if it's the compressor and it self destructs; standby for some serious repair bills...jackg
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Had the M in for a routine service at the 5* prior to the Dream Cruise-Brampton trip, and about 3K miles worth of vacation miles I'll put on it visiting in MA, and back to KY. Low and behold, on the lot was an 02 Special in silver. First one the dealership has had on the lot for sale since they came out. I was amazed to see it just sitting there. Why, you say? Because I told one of the sales reps about 9 months ago that if they ever got a Special in I would like a call and a test drive. Guy saw my 99M, got all excited and said "yes sir, yes sir, 3 bags full," and then took down all my vital info with a promise to get back to me if they ever got one in. Well, never heard a thing. Don't nobody want to sell these here cars? Anyway, now since they are in production I want to look at an 03 in Graphite before I get serious about buying again. Oh yeah, the sticker was $34K and it had two things I didn't want anyway, a sunroof and a cold weather package. Must have been missent to KY. I continue to see new 02s advertised at $27K in
    L-ville.
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    jgranata - if the dealer needs to change the evaporator, they sure do need to remove the dash.its behind the passenger side airbag area.

sdmike2- congas on the job, but you gave the M to your brother to use. I love my bro , BUT !!!

bigmike5, we have not built an 03 Specials yet, but I promise you will love the Graphite. Also we have started painting the new black for 03 , man is this nice in the sun. Lots of metal flake, I really liked it.

Was in Indy over the weekend , got to see Awesome Bill win the Brickyard 400. Great race.
  • Options
    Four questions:
    1)In case you haven't read my ravings, I just got an '02 Special. I found the speaker wires crossed on the front speakers. The car has a build date of 6-02. Hadn't they already corrected the problem by then?
    2)Has the thin rubber "mat" in the console been eliminated for 2002?
    3)Is there any way you can assist me in obtaining the "infinity" emblems for the front door tweeter grilles? Apparently that has also been taken off the '02s. My dealer says the only way to get them is to order the grile assembly which includes the speakers!
    4)If I get you the VIN, can you give any great stories about the production of the car:date it began production, date it completed, did you work on it, did someone accidentally put in an experimental 400 HP engine, fun things like that?
  • Options
    jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    Congratulations, thought we might have to start a "Save Big Red Fund". Now, stay off the web @ work :>). We want you to keep Big Red and your job in that order.

How can you pass your girl friend for others to use and abuse ??? 8>(. She will remember AKA: Christine
  • Options
    drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Forgive me, fellow 300m people for I have sinned...it has been 838 messages since I last checked this forum--boy do I miss 'talking' to youse guys. Here's an update:
    to sdmike2: congrats on the new job--now I'M UNEMPLOYED after 28 years at the Fed. I've been downsized along with 4 other top-graded, top-salaried folks. Figures, right?..they never, EVER cut management folk....much too importante I guess even if the management folks are a bunch of scroo-ups...
    Am actively surfinng the web looking for job as web designer, graphics guy either in NJ or NY. Of course, after 9/11/01, I'd rather it be in NJ--more opportunity to drive eMily....have a couple of headhunters scoping some stuff out, but I have read the average time to get new yob is 7-8 months. GOT 1 year salary, paid for 10 weeks UN-USED vacation, $$$ for school plus (yuchh I hate this expression...) outplacement services for 3 months, and get to keep all medical benefits except for dental which I'll have for 6 months at lower rate, then can re-up for additioanl 12 months at full rate
    When it rains, it pours Department:.
    My schweetie is facing THREE more surgeries--one on the same shoulder/rotator cuff tear (seems they missed the second tear..), then one on other shoulder and one on knee. W
    300m question:838 messages since I last checked this forum, and whats at the top of the last page (to me, anyway?..) a light show question. Here's MY question to ALL who have had this problem. I've had eMily to dealer today about same thing. Those of you who know me also know I've had TWO BCM's replaced. Some here have had 'light switch' (I know theres another name for it...) replaced. This problem has reared its ugly head again with dashboard lights flicking on and off with associated clicking/relay noise from driver side under dash. They of course "could not duplicate problem".
    I told Service rep about club and how several (my guess now is about a dozen?...) members/posters here have had same/similar problem.
    continued...next message
    drpixel
  • Options
    continued.....drpixel:
    What I need is for any of you who have had this problem to please email me to home email address ASAP as I am returning to dealer next Tuesday (8/13) to have this taken care of. I need to know if there is an OFFICIAL TSB on this problem, whether or not your 5* DC dealer fixed problem OR went to Dodge 5* dealer to get fixed. I told them that several had gone to DC dealer, who was unable to solve problem.They seem to think (after speaking with DC..) that this problem could be related to a #300 ground wire (located UNDER driver seat.....hmmmm) which can cause the following: light show, seat moving forward on its own, dash lights flickering/flashing, door locks going up/down, gas gauge reading empty, head lights flashing, etc.
    continued...
  • Options
    The dash light thing ocurred about a month after SECOND BCM replaced. Dealer is 'reluctant' to replace BCM again.

continued.....
    home email is GBeye@att.net include member number in message subject so I can tell your message from spam/etc. okay? Good to see you all and be back posting. Job search is terrifying as its been 28 years since I wrote a resume.......
    Take care,
    unemployed drpixel/Glenn
  • Options
    this happen?...sheesh......
    Doc
  • Options
    jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    The Des Moines Dealer is legit. I bought a 7 yr 100k for my 01LHS from him. I put it on a credit card just to be safe. Chrysler wanted $3250.00 direct from Chrysler web site. He sold it to me for $1850.00. {plus no sales tax saving you even more} I called and talked to him before ordering to get a feeling of the legit of it.
    He said he would mail my credit card receipt that day and that I would get policy direct from Chrysler in 2 to 3 weeks.
    Got the receipt in two days and papers from Chrysler in about a week.
    He explained that he only gives this price to out of state buyers on the net who he could not hope to make a sale to at regular prices. He said Chrysler could car less what he sells them for just like the don't car what he sells a car for. He said if he sells a dozen contracts a week at $200.00 profit on the net that's $2400.00 extra profit per week for the business.

By the way he offers the contracts for cars up to 48 months old.
  • Options
    Nor have I ever had that problem. I wonder if it is because I have added so many new grounds to my car, with all the added electronics. Hope you get your answer soon.
  • Options
    jr, I think auto is correct on this. The evaporator is located behind the passenger dashboard. I have seen small "boxes" in the engine compartment on some cars where the low and high pressure a/c hoses enter the car through the firewall, but that is not where the evaporator is. I was hoping Chrysler's engineers had maybe managed to have the evaporator accessible from below, but why would they do that with the battery where it is. Oh well. A/C with dye is cooling nicely now with no apparent loss of "cold air" in a day and half of driving it. I am more and more concerned that it is a very slow leak in the evaporator coils, but we'll see. Question, if it's still cooling in a week, should I just not worry about it until it blows warm again? Seems like freon recharges 2-3 times a year might be better than a $1200 repair bill. I'll just have to find an environmentally indifferent repair shop to do it for me. I'm sure they vent the stuff in Mexico City......
  • Options
    It sounds like it pays to get the contracts early. $3200 for a warranty is way too expensive. That is 3.5 times what I spent for the same thing (counting that it covers just about everything and is $0 deductable) just before my car turned a year old.
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Glad your back. Sorry to hear about the job. What about "bumping?" Can't you bump to another job within the organization? Sorry to hear about the wife's surgery. Man, what a run of bad luck.

Any chance you will be coming to Detroit now that you have some leisure? If you need help to get around I found a place on Yahoo and I recommended it to Roger that will rent one of those scooters that older folks use to zip around. The shop was close to Detroit Metro and had a good rate for the rental. Its fairly portable and it will run all day on the battery. Should save the knees for those who have trouble. Let me know if you need the address and phone. Would love to meet you in person at the Cruise.

Otto-- Any chance that their will be any Graphite Ms on the lot up there when we come thru? Need to see that color live before pushing the frau to let me buy. Given the fact the dealer here just got in their first 02 Special the chances of seeing an 03 Graphite here are practically nil. There is one big dealer in L-ville who might could get one, but I doubt I'd drive up there just to see one. They screwed me around when I was trying to buy the 99.
  • Options
    take otto's word over mine, i was basing my statement on my caddy...should have known better than opening my mouth and inserting my foot...as far as the leak in the evap, i geuss you could just let it go. unfortunately, just when you need the a/c the most that's invariably when she will fail...personally, i gotta have my ac...don't like driving around in a metal box in the sun with
    no chiller...if you did bring the car back and they don't see a leak, then they could recharge it and as long as the leak isn't present at that time, you should be good to go...it may go a couple of years before the refrig is depleted to the point where she won't blow cold, or it might be a month, i don't think there's any way to know.
    jackg
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I also have the light show--its very occasional--but dealer ordered me a BCM which i have patiently waited for 2 months to arrive---getting upset with this negative 2* dealer--hope it solves the problem--some others here have said it is the switch for the lights or the dimmer switch -- let you know how it turns out for my M.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    That's great. Our 00' M was a complete rattle box and sounded ragged despite being babied, and after 3 months was already having issues. Our Avalanche is STILL perfect and flawless since March, rides better than the 300M (yes, really, with the Z66 suspension), is tremendously quieter, has a lot more power, and is built much more solidly and does not have a single odd squeak or rattle still. But, it is a truck and it does have a big honking V8, so those two points really differentiate it from the M.

Aztek or Rendezvous? Yeah, a little odd looking, but very high quality. GM in 2002 is nowhere near the level it was in the 60's to mid 90's, btu still isn't perfect. Then again, neither is Chrysler as it becomes more and more German by the day, losing more and more money as sales have yet to go up. Ford is just a whole other story in and of itself.

You had bad luck, and we've had nothing bt excellent luck. That just happens sometimes.

• Options
    actually i did think of something that you might consider; there is lubricating oil in the refrigerant for the bearings in the compressor. if
    the refrig is depleted there will be a point were the compressor is running w/o lubrication...this is what leads to the catatrosphic type failure, where the compressor continuess to run and self destruct. i don't know if the 300m has the diagnostic circuitry for monitoring itself and shutting the compressor down when the refrif gets too low. that's what the caddy will do, you'll get a msg on the dic telling you the refrig is low and eventually, it will shut itself off and create a msg on the dic to that effect. jackg
  • Options
    Yes Otto is corect & I'll be the guinea pig on this one. The leak is in the evaporator & it's been ordered. Hopefully the fix goes in early next week & everything gets put back together the way it is now. As I said, it still blows cool but not cold. I hope yours stays cold or else...

Dr.P: don't get too bummed out. It happend to Mrs Sugar in 1998; took her about 11 months to find another (without looking too hard). She'll tell you those were the best 11 months she ever had! & all the best to Mrs. Dr P.

SD: congrats & good luck. Sorry you didn't win the lottery & just retire.

Sugar
  • Options
    year is your m?...it's going to be very interesting to see how the car's repair record develops as the car ages. generally speaking, a/c problems seems to last 2-3 years and then come back...it's good that your having the dealer do the work and using dc parts. one reason some of the a/c repairs don't last is due to non factory
    replacement parts that are not made to the specs of the auto manufacturer, especially the compressor, but the i've seen evaps go south after a couple of years and they were off the shelf stuff.

some people have their cars for years and never touch the a/c system...seems to be luck of the draw..hopefully this won't be a problem area for the 300m...a/c systems can rival the transmission for expensive repairs. jackg
  • Options
    don't scare me man!! It's the gamble year, 1999 non-php w/ 59,200 miles. I have an extended warranty to 60,000 which i believe covers it. It's been a great car so far. I think mrl859 said it; I'm putting my trust in my no star (literally) dealer to do the job right.

Sugar
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I did know that there was lube in the freon, so I don't run the a/c at all if I feel it "losing its cool" - pun intended.

Sugar, you have a leak too? Yikes, sorry man! Let me know how it goes....pleeeeeeeese. And..I love the description as the "gamble year" 1999! That's what I have too, although I have the PHP. I have actually thought about buying another one, but with a warranty contract this time, but then my wife nudges me and I wake up. I chaulk it up to being raised to forgive, but not forget. Phil
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    on the new job! What will you be doing?
    Can you convince the new company to send you to Draam Cruise as a signing bonus?