Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    gcjlownergcjlowner Member Posts: 1
    I've noticed that my rear liftgate on my 1996 JGC Limited hasn't been closing completely. It wasn't a problem until today. Now it definitely does not close and all of the interior lights remain on signifying that a door is ajar.
    Any thoughts on what is preventing it from closing completely?
  • Options
    jamaajamaa Member Posts: 2
    I had a 1995 that did the same thing. Turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor.
  • Options
    jamaajamaa Member Posts: 2
    It's not leaking from the cover, but from where the axel housing connects. I've already replaced it once with one I bought from the junkyard. It began to leak from also. Has anyone else seen this problem? Where is a good place to buy a new/used one?
  • Options
    emcoalsemcoals Member Posts: 4
    I'm now in the "too firm" camp after almost a year. Any after market solutions for front seats. Hear the SRT seats are great. Maybe I should trade up. But I do like the one I have now a lot. Thanks.
  • Options
    crookstercrookster Member Posts: 40
    I own a 2004 wj with a 4.7 power tech. After every 1500 since having my oil change the color of the oil is almost black. This has happened 2 times now. The wj has 28000 miles on it. Also when I put it into drive the car jerks forward. What could these problems be? Thanks
  • Options
    enedzienedzi Member Posts: 3
    Hi fellow Jeep owners,
    I would like to remove my factory cross rails on my 2006 Grand Cherokee luggage rack. I want to install Yakima cross pieces so that I can use my old mountain bike trays. Any ideas?

There is a large knob that can be removed. Once you do this a bottom flat latch falls loose but is still held by a clip on the outer part of the rail. I can’t figure out how to release the outer part of the clip. It would be best if I could remove them and then put them back on if I ever sell the jeep.

Ideas are welcome. Happy trails.
    Eric
  • Options
    81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    A rented one this past week while in Colorado. I got it because I was planning to visit the national forest and thought I might need high clearance and four wheel drive.
    While it had the clearance, shifting into four wheel drive required consulting the owner's manual. I reviewed it quickly and planned to avoid trying to use it. After driving Toyotas and Nissans off-road for 25 years, the jeep shifting system is the most confusing I've seen. I looked underneath for the skid plates. Might have been one under the oil pan but not on the transfer case or the gas tank. I didn't bother looking under the front, but doubt the bottom of the radiator was protected either. I started on a bumpy dirt road and found its handling to be very unsure. I slowed down my pace to avoid control problems. No mud flaps so there were a couple rock chips in the side. My Nissan Frontier Nismo runs circles around this vehicle. I'd rather take our 1998 Toyota 4Runner with 120K miles off-road than this b.s. "trail rated" Jeep. Even our 04 Nissan Armada is more off-road ready (I added all optional skid plates), although a bit large for many places.
    Thanks but no thanks to the Jeep. - 81 Trekker
  • Options
    bleachlbleachl Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for your help. I turns out it was the crankshaft sensor. :)
  • Options
    jczarjczar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it seems the fan motor is bad. How do you get the fan shroud out? I can get to three of the four bolts but not the one behind the front wheel gearbox. :confuse:

Thanks
    John
  • Options
    gex555gex555 Member Posts: 2
    SAME Problem HERE ...99 JGC car wont start and when the battery is connected i get a ticking from the gauge area and they all spin like crazy. REDH894 Please help me by telling me what it is that you found out ....i have had the jeep only one month. dead cell? over charge? or perhaps a short in the electrical system? anyone else with advice much appreciated
  • Options
    I have reason to believe that the P0320 code is a faulty crankshaft sensor. I tried to change it myself but was unsuccessful. I couldn't get my hand in there nor could I get a socket in there. I can't even see where the electrical connection is. Has anyone had the experience of changing one who can give me any pointers. All help would be appreciated. If it can't be done at home, how much will a shop charge (rough estimate). Thanks... :confuse: :sick: :(
  • Options
    Did you change it yourself or did a shop do it. If a shop did it, about how much will it cost? :)
  • Options
    I have a 199 Jeep GC Limited, 2WD, 4.0L and I have a faulty crankshaft sensor. I tried to change it myself but was unsuccessful. Do you have any pointers for me before I go crazy. Does it have to be done at a shop if it's a '99. Help..... Thanks in advance... :cry: :confuse:
  • Options
    beezzerrbeezzerr Member Posts: 1
    I have a Jeep Cherokee 4.0L, 175,000 miles, and last week it had a major hesitation taking off from a stoplight, had to pull over, then it ran fine. Now everytime I shut if off, (even if its only been on for 30 seconds from cold), it makes this clicking/poping sound coming from the motor. Sounds like cooling metal. Its never made this sound before, what could it be? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    havasuskaterbohavasuskaterbo Member Posts: 2
    96 Jeep GC, Pulled to a stop and the engine died. Car didn't want to start, so I gave it gas and it started. Let off the gas and it dies again. I then balanced the gas/brake and was able to get into a parking spot. Ok, now the trouble... the battery is dead, it'll jump start with depressing the gas, but once I let off the gas it'll die. Any idea?
  • Options
    jgeislerjgeisler Member Posts: 2
    This can be caused by a weak battery. Have the battery checked first and replaced second if needed. Make sure you have tried to charge the battery before having it checked. Alternatively, your alternator may be bad. Most parts stores can check this while on your car.
  • Options
    havasuskaterbohavasuskaterbo Member Posts: 2
    Ok, with it connected to a good battery of another car I am now getting nothing. The lights won't even turn on. I've checked all the fuses, all good. Still believe it's the battery? or something else?
  • Options
    shilohkidshilohkid Member Posts: 1
    I too am having the same problem. What did you discover??
    Please help.
  • Options
    gex555gex555 Member Posts: 2
    I havnt found anything new ...except i charged the battery and got it checked and it is a good battery after hooking it back up everything acts normal except the car wont start. It will turn over and make the starting sound but just wont start not even a hint of it starting ...but as i said lights and all work.
  • Options
    taffy3taffy3 Member Posts: 26
    I'm considering removing the cat on my 98 GCLtd. Don't need them where I live.
    Anyone done this and seen any adverse/positive effects?
  • Options
    kmbard221kmbard221 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Since February of 2005, I changed a crankshaft position sensor within 5 months of each other, then a cam sensor 4 months later and now 6 months later the crankshaft position sensor. I have also changed the input speed sensor. Does anyone have any explanation why these sensors keep going bad?

Any suggestions appreciated
  • Options
    87proof87proof Member Posts: 1
    I also have this same problem! I've taken it to Jeep three times, all resulting in nothing. First time, they changed fluids and replaced filters. Second time, they reprogrammed transmission. Third time, they say nothing is wrong. Please let me know when anyone has this problem resolved. I will do the same. I wish all of you luck in your "attempts" to fix the problem(s).
  • Options
    blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    It's highly unlikely that any of your many trucks will "run circles" around a Quadra-Drive- equipped JGC. The approach/departure angles are some of the best in the class. And rememeber: Jeep is still the only truck in it's class to be able to power out of a hole with only 1 wheel turning. Oh and yeah, you can get a HEMI also to blow the doors off of that the bloated Armada, flaccid old 4-Runner, and flimsy old-tech Nissan Backtier.
  • Options
    bananaboybananaboy Member Posts: 2
    Check out the following website: http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm
    It refers to the WJ-series Grand Cherokee but the fault codes remain the same.
  • Options
    dixiecrawlerdixiecrawler Member Posts: 89
    You won't experience any adverse affects, only positive. You will get a little more power out of your engine and possibly slightly better gas mileage. You will also have louder exhaust, even with just a stock type muffler. You'll have to remove them yourself more than likely, though, because exhaust shops can get in trouble if they're caught removing them. There are no inspections where I live, so you can legally run without them, but still, not very many shops will do this for you. -dixiecrawler
  • Options
    ponygirl1ponygirl1 Member Posts: 7
    I am having similar problems myself. Is your Jeep dying while in motion? Like it just loses all power? I have checked the battery, changed the coil, but still it does the same. I am clueless on what it could be, gonna keep looking for only vehicle have. Will keep others informed on what to do.
  • Options
    taffy3taffy3 Member Posts: 26
    Loss of power or even complete cut-out sounds like fuel shortage. Have you checked in line filters? One xperience I had was down to a pice of waxed paccking paper in the tank (car was new) which drifted over the outlet pipe occasionally. Took a long time to find that one.
  • Options
    mrideoutmrideout Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: My left directional does not work. The bulbs are good and the right directional works fine. I was able to get ot to work by banging the steerig wheel. That method nolonger works. Is there a relay or breaker?
  • Options
    andrewsp45andrewsp45 Member Posts: 7
    I found that the starter relay was bad in my Jeep, it is in the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment, check your manual for the correct one, no need to go buy a new one until you find out if it is the culprit, there are a couple of relays in there you can swap out to test. just look at the pics on top of the relay itself to see which is the same type. Good luck
  • Options
    andrewsp45andrewsp45 Member Posts: 7
    Sounds like there is a short in the steering column, why else would it clear if you hit the wheel.
  • Options
    Is your service engine light on? If it is, check your code.. ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON and see if Code "P0320" shows up. If it does, it's the crankshaft sensor.
  • Options
    I considered that as a problem, but when I spoke to a mechanic they said that if it does not sputter as if out of gas then that could not be. My jeep starts when cooled down after a while. Its not that I don't have power at all, just that the engine doesn't want to start. I am still searching and will let everyone know when I find out. Thanks for the info.......
  • Options
    That's what is funny, none of my lights come on to let me know I have a problem. It just totally cuts off without any warning.
  • Options
    sam330sam330 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 jeep, over the past 2 years i had to replace every drive train part on my car costing approx $8000.00 I spoke to a jeep rep and asked them if i got a lemon of a car or did i get ripped off by the dealership?the rep said too bad i didn,t buy next years model everything would be covered under warranty since the car has less then 70000 miles. my jeep still makes noise because every thing was replaced except the 2 casing which holds gears together,the dealer says it won,t effect anything,does anybody have a name or address in michigan i can talk too, casimir330
  • Options
    bob_grahambob_graham Member Posts: 63
    Quick question. Did you replace the starter yourself? If so how in the world did you get it out? Ours is doing the same thing, first it acted weird for a few weeks then all of sudden went to start and just got a click. Battery is fully charged and tested. Swapped the relay, its OK. I have a 4.7 V-8. Does anyone know how to get the starter out once it is un-bolted?????
  • Options
    jepenn23jepenn23 Member Posts: 2
    What is a brake upgrade?
  • Options
    jepenn23jepenn23 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 model with the same problem. Did you get it fixed or did you find the Problem?
  • Options
    robertm7robertm7 Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to locate the O2 censors on my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4. Can someone tell me how many there are and where they are located?
  • Options
    aroth23aroth23 Member Posts: 6
    The speedometer on my '95 Grand Cherokee used to work sporadically in cold weather and fine in warm weather. Now it no longer works period. The dealership said that they would have to replace the "instrument cluster" and it would cost around $700. Does that sound right? Or is there a possible cheaper solution?
  • Options
    marinamamamarinamama Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if I could get some input on fixing the ignition lock on a 1993 Eagle Talon? We need to fix it soon, someone tried to steal it with a screw driver and broke it. Any ideas? I'd apprecaite it.

Marina
  • Options
    juandjuand Member Posts: 1
    1998 GC Limited with 164K miles. After the Jeep has been running for a while (gets to normal operating temperature), sometimes the transmission produces a harsh downshift from 4-3. There are other times when the overdrive does not kick in. I had an engine code P0783:
    3-4 shift malfunction. The mechanic has not been able to pinpoint what's causing the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    jenm1jenm1 Member Posts: 3
    I have read a few messages on this topic. I was wondering if anyone had found a soultion to the stalling problem. My 2005 JGC Limited has 13k miles and stalls for no apparent reason, at any given time, i.e., temperature not an issue. It has stalled backing out of the driveway and approching a red traffic light.

The dealership naturally, is "unable to duplicate my complaint" therefore they cannot fix it. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    I have the same exact problem, stalling while backing up from driveways and red lights. Mine also stalls just while driving. I don't know if you read my replys but I have changed the coil and now it will start to stall but for some unknown reasons it brings itself back up and goes again without me having to shut it off and starting again. So therefore I think that it had some part in the act but yet there is something thats still missing to the puzzle. I'm still researching and if I find that something then I will post it.
  • Options
    cdplayercdplayer Member Posts: 18
    My Limited has the stock Infinity sound system with steering wheel controls. Not long ago the FM radio station I was listening to just faded away. As it turned out all FM functions are gone. Just static. Like the antenna had been disconnected. The AM band works fine. And the in dash CD player works too. I checked the antenna lead from the fender to the passenger side kick board for a possible disconnected antenna. No luck. The steering wheel controls seem to work fine too. Just no FM reception. Only static. Any one else ever have this problem? Thanks in advance..
  • Options
    easytecheasytech Member Posts: 1
    I have had similar problems and this problem can have many causes including the main engine computer or a bad or weak connection in a electrical connector god knows where. The best and most economical way to fix this problem is to install a new Hayden electric fan and temperature controller. Goto haydenauto.com or a local Auto Parts store(in Mich. Murrays Autoparts handles Hayden products) for eveything you need. They are very easy to install in the existing fan shroud and hookup two wires to your battery and you are done. Fan will come on only when needed.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe this is why?

"Imagine this: You are driving 75 miles per hour down the highway in your new 2006-model listening to Steve Miller’s Greatest Hits —suddenly the engine management system or the stability control fails. Not only could you be in a serious or possibly fatal accident, but the car manufacturer’s reputation could be in jeopardy if you aren’t the only one in a similar situation.

Neutron-induced errors have significant implications for mission-critical automotive applications that utilize an SRAM-based FPGA. Existing detection techniques, reliant on reading back FPGA configuration at regular intervals, do nothing to prevent the error within the system."

Cosmic rays damage automotive electronics

Maybe Tides can translate and explain the gist of the article to us. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Gee, thanks, Steve! ;)

Basically, it means that all ICs (integrated circuits) are susceptible to damage by radiation and neutrons pass through most materials fairly easily. Among other things, cosmic rays crashing into the atmosphere generate neutrons. More prevalent and larger ICs translates to greater vulnerability to neutron damage.

The article is taking the "fault tolerant" approach meaning they are trying to find a way to correct the damaged bits - after the fact. However, it overlooks the obvious solution of embedding the chips in paraffin or polyethylene, materials that are rich in hydrogen which stops neutrons efficiently.

tidester, host
  • Options
    wtkidzwtkidz Member Posts: 1
    Help Needed On Fix For Error Code, 432 The catalyst seems inefficient (#2).

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado
    4.0 6

Got this error code but cannot seem to find on the web how to fix the problem.:mad: Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thank you so much
  • Options
    tcrocketttcrockett Member Posts: 6
    I have the same issue. Took it to the dealer. Since they cannot replicate it, they can't fix it.
  • Options
    sando1sando1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Jeep Cherokee (right hand drive) has a RR tailight that is not working. However the brake light which uses the same bulb does. When I take the bulb from the left which works fine, move it to the right, no tailight. Move it back, it works fine on the left side. My point is that I've eliminated the bulb as a problem. Any ideas??