Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    eeyore7eeyore7 Member Posts: 1
    I went to Valley Honda in Naperville, IL. back in June and there was a 2+ month wait for an Odyssey but we didn't want to order and wait and didn't need it right away. Long story short - we needed one since our 130K Plymouth Voyager was biting the dust very recently. It is a new dealership so Honda gives them "Extra" Odysseys occasionally. I called on Thursday found they got in an extra EX and I picked it up Friday night. Did I get every extra option there was even though I didn't really want them? You betcha - but I haven't found an option I don't like. I would not have got the NAV option myself but now that I have had it for 2 days I wouldn't be without it! It is unbeleivable the amount of info in the database - even little local restaurants, rivers, parks, even railroad tracks. Did I pay alot more than I wanted to? Sure, but I got a great Van without waiting as I didn't have the time to wait. Do I feel like I got taken to the cleaners? Not really. I would not have ordered all the extras but I bet I will enjoy them and over time the money is not as critical as getting a great van.
  • Options
    rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    Considering my dealer sticker on the lx was 257xx, which I'll agree is ridiculously high over msrp and I ended up buying the 2000 for 23400 (msrp I believe) + $78 license including keyless remote and cargo net I'm satisfied. I could have bought a 2001 lx for 24700 including keyless remote and cargo net + $78 license but the differences between the 2000/2001 weren't worth $1300 to me. Hope that helps someone.
  • Options
    jlarson5jlarson5 Member Posts: 3
    A week or so ago, we were waiting for delivery of our long awaited van. This one was a 01 SS Ex. The dealer's driver had driven it more than 250 miles just to total it practically at our door step!. Well they worked with Honda to get an emergency replacement vehicle. This time they will get our preferred color - GG.

Since then the bank my husband works for was purchased and now job security is an issue. He asked me to cancel the van, which I did. Then my incredibly reliable 91 Honda Civic broke down. This was enough to convince him that we really did need a new vehicle! Whew! I was sweating that one. So, it looks like I get my new van sometime next week!
  • Options
    shaganastyshaganasty Member Posts: 23
    Well they say it comes in 3's...
    you had your 3, now it is going to
    be nothing but good luck... you'll get
    your (1) "brand new van" (2)"in your color",
    your (3)"husband will get a promotion and more loot"
  • Options
    perinaraperinara Member Posts: 9
    I put down the $500 deposit for my 2001 EX, GG, last night. I have to wait for 3 to 4 months. Now I am looking in to extended warranty, rust proofing and interior protection packages. Can any one tell me how much they paid for the extended warranty, and from whom they bought it? On rust proofing did you get it at Ziebart, or Honda. Which is better?

Thank you.
  • Options
    tsjewantsjewan Member Posts: 13
    I admit I have no personal experience with "post-factory" rust proofing, either from Ziebart or anyone else. However, I've always read in Consumer Reports as well as Edmunds and other car Web sites and magazines, "Don't get the rust proofing" (or at least don't pay for it, getting it thrown in free might be o.k.). Sometime in the past I'd heard that imperfectly applied rust proofing can actually cause a car to rust FASTER, because of trapped moisture or something-- not sure if this is a real possibility. I do know someone with a friend who owns a rust proofing business, and the guy I know says his friend laughs about all the fine print in the contract that makes it VERY difficult to ever collect on one of the rust proofing warranties. For one thing, you generally have to come in during some small window of time once per year to get them to check everything out-- miss that checkup and the warranty is voided. I live in an area (MN) with heavy winter road salt usage, and recent-model cars don't seem to have nearly the rust problems that cars from 20 years ago experienced. Just my opinion, but I'd save my money on the rust proofing.

MSRP issue: I won't comment directly on the seemingly-departed "anafe" and his MSRP-phobia, since he's been officially reprimanded already. But here's my take on it: I've recently been shopping the Twin Cities seriously for Siennas and Odysseys. I've read lots of Internet material, bought Consumer Union's customized price report on the Sienna, have 2 friends who have recently bought both vehicles ( that is, one bought Sienna last month, and one bought Ody last year), etc. After coming close to equalizing equipment on Sienna vs. Odyssey LX, the price is darn-near identical, AFTER I cut what looks to be my best-possible "deal" on the Sienna in this market-- $350 over invoice. When I say "equalizing equipment" I mean adding traction control (not even available yet according to local Toyota dealers, but $440 invoice when it becomes avail.)to Sienna LE trim line (middle of their 3 trim lines). Sienna LE comes with single-CD and keyless entry; but Ody LX comes with body-color bumpers and the magic seat. I'd give the edge there to Honda. The dull-gray bumper covers on Sienna LE look chintzy to me in a car stickered at over $26K; whereas I can add a great CD later for pretty cheap, and I can also add keyless remote for $160 if I want to tackle the job myself (looks fairly involved though). 3rd seats in Sienna come out easily and you can remove only one unlike Ody-- but like most people, I'll still prefer "magic" seat. Bottom line including destination comes to $24,340 for Ody LX and almost to the dollar the same for Sienna LE. Given that, I'll take Honda for slightly better crash ratings and all seating positions having headrests and 3-point seatbelts, the EBD enhancement to ABS, the nice "well" for grocery bags with 3rd seat up, and between-front-seats retractable table. While making the decision, we purposely ignored considerable extra space in Ody, because my wife and I decided Sienna would be "big enough" for our family-- yet I'll say that AFTER deciding on Ody, with equal price and gas mileage, "I'll take the extra space".

Anyway, we'd have paid MORE for Windstar, Silloutte, or new 2001 Grand Caravan in similar trim line to Ody (as someone noted, it takes a scientific study to figure out what trim line makes sense with Dodge-- a plot IMO to confuse and thus screw buyers)-- after cutting our "best deal" on any of those. Given this, paying MSRP for Honda becomes a non-complaint, and I say that while admitting that when I first looked at Ody, I was put off by the prospect of MSRP. If Honda chooses to price their vehicle so as to let their dealers make MORE money while Honda Corp. makes LESS, what difference does it really make to me? Either that or Honda's factories and such are just so much better and more efficient that they can put out a better product for less money. Again, no diff. to me. Buy Windstar, Dodge GC, or Sillouette instead and have the dealer make little but Ford, DC, or GM make a ton-- how is that better? In some ways, one could argue, "it's nice to keep more of the cash in the local community".

I don't know if it's the "best minivan" out there, that depends on how much you value some of the plushness and bells-and-whistles features of some other vans vs. Ody's space, technological innovation, expected reliability, and resale value. AND--sorry "anafe"- Ody's moderate price for what you get, even at MSRP, compared to other vans. I feel the Ody is "fair stickered", basically, kind of like Saturns.

An LX in our first color choice (mesa beige) is supposed to arrive for us in late Oct/early Nov. for $24,340 with no dealer add-ons. I'm kind of holding a "believe it when I see it" attitude; but if it happens, it was fairly easy for us-- only visited 2 area Honda dealers after first pricing out Sienna. First one puts a MINIMUM of $900 (plus tax) of dealer fat on ALL LX's they get in, but they seemed like the best bet since they could guarantee December production which others I called would not/could not. Then I called a leasing service through my employer, he contacted a dealer I hadn't talked to yet, who called back 2 hours later to say he would have the no-options beige LX for regular sticker. (We are buying, not leasing; but this lease outfit performs a "finder" service for employees where I work.) I made a deposit (refundable) right away. We go out for a test drive in an EX this week, I'm sure I'll like the ride and handling but that way I can compare the one we're getting to at least one other Ody before accepting delivery, instead of having "our's" be the first one I've ever driven.

Sorry for length of this post-- felt I had to get some opinions out, since I've been reading here for so long! Thanks to all other posters for their experiences and advice, all of which has helped me in various ways.
  • Options
    I enjoyed your post. You phrased the argument between Sienna and Odyssey very well. For me it was also either the Sienna or Ody, and all things being more or less equal between them, the magic seat is what did it for me. I knew I'd have that seat in the hidden position more than not and I don't care how easy it is to remove a third seat, you still have to remove it and store it somewhere.
    I also agree the reliability of either the Toyota or Siena make it a better choice than all the bells and whistles on the others. I personally will look to see how many posts there will be on the DC new power tailgate....
  • Options
    jlarson5jlarson5 Member Posts: 3
    Boy, I sure hope you are right about all good luck from here. A promo would be great, but it would probably also mean a move to Minnesota which we have staved off several times. If we do have to move, at least our Ex will have traction control for those snowy roads!!
  • Options
    Don't know what state you're in, but here in Calif. you sign something, they better had given you a copy... tis the law!
  • Options
    agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    I think you answer your own question in your post. If it quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck....if it seems like you're being taken for a ride, you probably are...

I would have been loathe to provide them a deposit without written documentation as to its refundability. As if they weren't in the driver's seat enough, being the holders of the anointed Odyssey's, now they have 1,000 of your hard-earned dollars!

A little less emotion and a lot more common sense would probably help anyone who is looking for an Odyssey....just my .02
  • Options
    gcintendergcintender Member Posts: 36
    ...so essentially, they ordered you to drive an hour, robbed you of $500.00, blew smoke about the delivery date, and refused to give you proof of the transaction.

Don't be surprised whern your Odyssey finally arrives in 2001 you'll find yourself buying a "protection package", an extended warranty, and any other high-profit item the dealer can think of. You've already proven that you can't stand up to them.
  • Options
    timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    I'm not as convinced that they will rip you off. I think they will come through. Of course, if they actually sent in the credit card transaction (as opposed to simply getting it approved -- what "swiping the card" accomplishes), then they will be using your money for a while. But, the legendary Mark Roberts $300 over invoice deal (now defunct on the Odyssey) was accompanied by almost equally odd insistence on a NON-refundable deposit. Why, when they had lists of people to fall back on (over a year's backlog when they cut off new entries on the list)?!? I put it off to force of habit; being a car salesman simply must warp out your thinking after a while! Hang in there and don't despair. I'll bet you actually get your Odyssey close to the promised data, despite the shenanigans. Still, as you undoubtedly know already, it is always wise to steel yourself for the surprise add-ons later.... :-)
  • Options
    shopnomoreshopnomore Member Posts: 3
    Just test drove the ody 2001 ex last week. We took the brochure home. Called the salesman the next day for a quote. All said and done, price is $200 below MSRP and our 2001 EX MBM will be in before the end of Oct. Gave the salesman our CC# for a $100 deposit. Asked how they wanted the remainder when the ody comes in. Personal check is fine! Go figure. This was the simplest purchase I have ever made and the salesman didn't even try and sell anything xtra and even told us that "you really don't need the Honda care warranty" but quoted it at $885 less tax. Still not a bad price. Just thought I would pass this along. Never even went back to the dealer to haggle price or give the down payment. All done by phone/fax. Too simple.
  • Options
    Come on now, gives us a hint of where and what the dealer name is....tia
  • Options
    needitneedit Member Posts: 4
    Gosh, you guys can be brutal! I was just looking for some feedback...not a critique of my negotiating skills! :)

I've just finished watching the presidential debates, so I'm in the mood for a rebuttal.

I appreciate the comments and feedback from agt cooper, gcintender, and timothyadavis...and, in particular, the faith t.a.davis has in the dealer. I, too, think the dealer will come through on this. No, I don't think there will be any hidden costs down the road...the bottom line was filled in and the price was right. Nor do I think anyone is getting over-emotional here. And yes, I do think I've shown that I can stand up to them. After all I did walk away with the price I wanted -- and no options or add ons (even if I don't have the van yet). I don't even mind the $1000 vs. $500...since I've read so much about deposits that seem to hover in that range. I neglected to mention that my going there was not just done to satisfy their demands...but also to get a trade in appraisal...something that couldn't have been as easily accomplished on the phone. So...I do hope I'll hear from more of you, but in the meantime, it sounds like I need to make a follow up call to the GM of the dealership just to get a few things clarified...and maybe get his/her personal attention. I'm with shagnasty, though...
    Shopnomore, you MUST tell us what gives.
  • Options
    needit,

I'll let them beat up on me for a while.

I have $250 deposit with CarDirect
    I have $500 deposit with Gardena Honda
    I have $500 deposit with Honda of Pasadena
    I have $1000 deposit with Miller Honda
    I have $100 deposit with Barber Honda
    and last but not least $0.00 with Metro Honda

Facts;
    yes, I am loosing interest on the above funds.
    yes, I care, but the wife wants the van (and who else wears the pants in any family)

Have been contacted a couple of times by the dealers just letting me know they have the EX, but in another color, we are holding out for White, yep the color that some posts says gets dirty quick... we don't think so, we have two white trucks now and (our) white doesn't show how dirty the car is... had black cars and "would never get another dark color", (ok, I lied on that, if I ever get the dream car '49 or '50 lead sled, it will be black with flames)

okeydokey...just a couple of pennies here
  • Options
    captevanscaptevans Member Posts: 14
    When I walk in to buy the van they recently told me is due soon will they take a credit card or personal check? I am not financing. Thanks.
  • Options
    finallydiditfinallydidit Member Posts: 4
    I have been watching this board for 2 months and would like to thank everyone for their comments. I just picked up an '01 GG EX and it is quite impressive. I paid about $ over sticker plus fair option price but got it in a WEEK and was tired of waiting, as well as having someone hot to buy our used Camry. Even $28300 is a great deal for a great vehicle. If you want a car quickly and dont mind a small premium I can let you know where I purchased (Chicago area)- they dont sell any by list and wait until they have the VIN # to negotiate. Enticing, huh?

1.I put in reverse and heard no clunk.
    2.I hit the gas at a stoplight and the wheel did spin toward the right but there is no noticable pull when driving. To think of it, my 91 civic seemed to always pull a little but it never bothered me and worked great.
    3.I had the stereo much too loud to notice any noise from the bottom.

My question...
    I asked about warranty (they surprisingly did NOT bring it or protection UP at all on their own)...
    They offered me a 7 yr (4 additional), 75,000 mile warranty from Automotive Warranty services, "platinum" plan, covers all except routine maintenance, for a $50 deductible
    PLUS
    the "Protector" rustcoating, fabric protection, paint protector, with a GUARANTEE on the paint finish and fabric for 5 yrs and rust for 10yrs for a total of $1015. It seems pretty good to me but have NEVER bought any warranties before. My concern is all these new electronic pieces such as the power door motors that would cost high $ to replace. Since my wife only drives about 10000 miles per year it would probably cover the 7 year period closely.
    Any thoughts? I have a couple of weeks to decide.
  • Options
    finallydiditfinallydidit Member Posts: 4
    sorry, i left out a number above...
    $600 is the amount I paid over what I would have considered as my IDEAL price.
  • Options
    redondaheadredondahead Member Posts: 4
    How long was the term on that $885 Hondacare Warranty? 6 or 7 years, and how many miles? Just curious to know how it stacks up with the one I bought for our new Ody.
  • Options
    gcintendergcintender Member Posts: 36
    Well, of course I didn't know about your trade-in so in that case the dealer is a bit less demanding than I originally perceived. I'd still be wary when the time comes to pay for the car - it still seems to me they're priming you for some high-pressure tactics!

Good luck!
  • Options
    I had assumed that the price I negotiated for my '00 would apply to the '01 -- (seems like bait and switch otherwise). Am I wrong about this? Anyone in a similar situation able to offer his or her experience?
  • Options
    tsjewantsjewan Member Posts: 13
    jlarson5: Don't know if the promo will work out for you guys, but as for MN-- we live the "good life" here in the Twin Cities, so don't let a little snow scare you off! (actually, the last 3 winters have been very "easy" here.) But yeah, traction control is a smart thing to have here in general.

shaganasty: Agree with you that white is generally a pretty EASY color to keep clean. My '87 Integra (fun car) that I drove for 10 years was white and I thought it quite easy to keep looking at least "o.k." (I'm not super picky about car cleanliness). Especially in an area with winter salt and slop-- that kind of dirt shows up much easier on DARK colors than light ones. Might be a different story down South or out West, I don't know. (Our due-in-November Ody LX is the MB color, but white was probably my second choice.)

finallydidit: My opinion would be, if you're leaning towards an extended warranty, go with the $0 deductible Honda warranty for $900 or less (most people seem to be able to get that price if not from their own purchase dealer then some other dealer) and maybe bypass the paint protection etc. or buy separately whichever of those extras you feel you need. While probably not completely "worthless", I highly question the value of paint sealant and fabric protection and (as I already beat to death in an earlier post) rust proofing. Without fabric protection and WITH 2 very sloppy young daughters eating chocolate etc. in the back seat, I've never found the seat fabric or carpeting in my soon-to-be-sold Subaru very difficult at all to scrub clean, usually just with a rag and plain water. If you've got VERY light-colored interior fabrics, it might be more worthwhile to have fabric protection. As for the warranty, I'm still deciding whether to get it or not, but if I do, I'd feel more comfortable with one from Honda and $0 ded. than a 3rd-party warranty. Keep in mind, the Honda warranty can be purchased any time before the expiration of the 3-year factory warranty, so both of us have some time to think about it. I believe you might get roadside assistance by buying it upfront, at least I read that in another post-- but I don't expect to be needing roadside assistance very often with a Honda! I'm not sure if I "need" the extra warranty at ALL for that matter, which is why I'm still thinking about it and probably WON'T buy it when we pick up the car... if I have only very minor problems (or no problems) the first year or two, I probably will decide not to buy the warranty.
  • Options
    Hi Needit,

I talked to a Ziebart franchise owner. He told me he can install the generic splash guards for $59 + taxes. He told me the generic splash guards work fine. I did not ask about pin-striping. I would guess a Ziebart pin-striping should be less than $100. Ziebart does not install cross bars.

If you want genuine Honda Splash guards, go to the Honda parts URL (posted here about 100 posts ago), and buy it on line. Splash guards are $59+ shipping. Cross bars are $78 + shipping. You can install them using the enclosed instructions.

From the Ziebart, prices for the rust proofing and other items are:

Rust proofing = $310
    Under coat (sound dampening) = 60 (with rust proofing)
    Fabric protection = 89 (with rust proofing)

With out rust proofing the under coat (sound proofing) is $175, and fabric protection is $149

You have to take it back to a Ziebart dealer every year for rust proofing inspection, Cost approx $40.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    cfufucfufu Member Posts: 1
    I am some assistance in purchasing the 2001 EX. I am being quoted $33,000 out the door ($26,000 for the car, $2,500 for leather seats and $995 for 6 CD changer plus tax and license). I think the price of the car is fair, but I think they are asking too much for the leather seats and the CD changer. Please give me some feedback. Thx.
  • Options
    Hi Cfufu,

I refused to pay more than MSRP, and did not take any upgrade on the '01 EX, but I have to wait for 3 months for my van. It all depends on if you can wait, and if you want these options. If you want the van now and were interested in the leather, and CD changer, and if the can deliver the van now, try bargaining on the leather seats (approx cost $1700 - $1800), CD changer ($400 - $700).

If you can wait, and do not need these options, start to shop around.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    mommyof4mommyof4 Member Posts: 46
    Cfufu...

If you can keep negotiating on the options, you are better off. Check www.honda-accessories.com for pricing on CD player. I paid a lot more than I should for the under-the-seat CD Changer; but the price I paid on the leather is marginally okay. Expect to pay about $1400 - $1600 for the leather, and about $500 for under-the-seat changer.
  • Options
    mommyof4mommyof4 Member Posts: 46
    I picked up my TW EX about 2 weeks ago and have been calling around for the Honda Care. You don't have to buy the warranty from your dealer; you can buy it from ANY Honda dealer that sells them. Keep negotiating. One dealer told me the cost to them is $795. So, Anything under $900 is okay, considering they DO want to make some $$$.
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    $2500 for seats thats bull. I just got 01 EX odyssey and have the Classic leather seats which are about the best ones out there and it cost me $1300 (dealer cost). Thats all 3 rows leather, headrests and all door panels.
  • Options
    shopnomoreshopnomore Member Posts: 3
    The Honda dealer that gave us $200 below MSRP on our EX is "Honda of Mentor" in Mentor, OH. The Honda Care Warranty of $885.00 less tax was for the 7yr/100K/0 deduct. I'll let you guys know if they live up to their delivery of Oct. 20.
  • Options
    1sttimebuyer11sttimebuyer1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting ready to buy my first new car and am looking at the Odyssey LX since my family is quickly expanding. The dealer has quoted me a price of $25,000 ($660 over MSRP of $24340) plus $267 for license and registration fees (no sales tax in Oregon). The vehicle is in stock (just arrived today)and in the color we want (white). We don't want to wait 3-4 months just to save a few hundred dollars, but aren't sure if we're paying way too much. Any feedback??
  • Options
    abombinskiabombinski Member Posts: 1
    I own a dark gray 2000 EX that is loaded (6-disk changer under seat, power sun roof, in dash cassette tape, floor mats, cargo cover, cargo area rubber mat, extra large cargo net, floor mats, wheel locks). I found a dealer in the Chicago market who had them in stock: walked in on Friday morning and left with the vehicle that day (and boy did I pay a premium for that). FYI: AVOID CRYSTAL LAKE HONDA.

I love the Odyssey, but cannot justify the high price. I plan to replace the Odyssey with a CRV. Since I have a complete distrust of Honda Dealers, I would like to sell the Odyssey outright. If anyone needs immediate possession, send me a note at mailto:abombinski@yahoo.com. I'm considering all reasonable offers.
  • Options
    Whenever I see this statement -- no offense -- but it just says circularly that an unreasonable offer is defined as one you won't consider. In other words, we know no more than before the statement was written.

Similarly, I think most "lifetime" warranties are useless because whenever the product breaks is considered the end of its lifetime (and I think very seldom do they mean my lifetime!).

Just a little curmudgeonly musing on the meaninglessness of much of what we say....
  • Options
    wakbeigelwakbeigel Member Posts: 9
    We just picked up our White Ody LX a few hours ago. Waited only 2 weeks. Our price through AutoBytel was $24,800, including roof rack, Keyless entry, and CD player. Totally pleased with the transaction. We live in Dayton, OH, but Performance Honda (North of Cincinnati) beat the Dayton area's internet affiliate price. I would tell you how much I like it, but I haven't been allowed to drive it, yet.
  • Options
    garyh13garyh13 Member Posts: 4
    This past weekend my wife and I looked at minivans. Though we will pay more for the Honda Odyssey LX, we think it's the best choice for us. This will be our first time purchasing a new vehicle. The local dealer (Rick Hendrick - Charleston, SC) quoted us MSRP - $24,340 for an LX + tax and tags, $308. He also said that the floormats were not included in the price - an additional $199. After looking on the net, and the 2001 Odyssey catalog, it seems that the mats are included. Even if they aren't included, honda-accessories.com listed them for $115. To be put on "the list" for arriving Odysseys, we have to put down a $500 refundable deposit. Since most of you have been through this before, can you tell me if this is a fair deal? It seems that most people are paying MSRP for this vehicle. We aren't in a big hurry and can wait a few months for delivery. Are there any sources on the net I should check out for better deals? I'm willing to deal with a dealer as far away as 100 miles if they can offer any better. Thank you!!
  • Options
    EFPATEFPAT Member Posts: 3
    After months of run arounds in northern NJ, ie, 500 to 4000 over list and some with very long waits, I just put down a $500 refundable deposit at Middletown NY Honda. The silver EX was MSRP with a 10 doc fee and 15 dollars for a 10 day out of state tag - no transportation fee. I will owe registration and NJ tax when I register the car in NJ. Due date - January. I'm in no rush, so its worth the wait. They even offered to deliver it but I will go up to inspect. It is less than 1 hour away from my home in Randolph NJ. Anyone who lives near Route 287 (or the Garden State for that matter), should check it out. The NJ dealers can go, well, you know where.
  • Options
    wormserwormser Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know a dealer in Orlando, Fl area who is selling the 2001 EX at MSRP w/o extra fees?

Jimmy Bryan and Holler Honda want over $400 in fees over MSRP.
  • Options
    sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    ShopnoMore: You got $200 off MSRP at Mentor, did you price any other dealerships in the area? Did Heights give you a number?

Leather from a dealer in Pittsburgh was $1450

What do people think of the navigation system? Worth it?
  • Options
    ohiomom2ohiomom2 Member Posts: 3
    Finally ordered my 2001 lx GG odyssey. I actually did not want the car until late December. Wanted to wait until after Christmas to have to make my first payment. Haven't had a car payment for over two years on either of our cars. But to get the color I wanted needed to get the November delivery. They had SS available for December delivery but I was not sold on that color.

Well let's get to the deal. From what I can see the market in Ohio must be softening a bit because I live in Columbus which is full of young people with lots of money willing to spare no expense and here is my deal. My deal is 500 under MSRP plus 268 for keyless remote for a total of $24,108 before tax. I asked about any other unexpected cost. They do have a documentation fee of $50.00 but that seems minimal compared to other dealerships I have seen on the Town Hall. My delivery date is to be the end of November. I have completed this whole deal so far over e-mails and the phone. They are going to send me my purchase order today in the mail. So far everything seems on the up and up. I did have a $500 'refundable' deposit.

I will let everyone know if it goes through as scheduled. By the way I am working with Justin Hinderer at Hinderer Honda in Heath Ohio.
  • Options
    con66con66 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had any experiences with Clinton Honda or Phillipsburg Honda in NJ. Both claim they will sell 2001 EX at MSRP with no required options. Both require $1,000 deposit. January/February delivery promised.
  • Options
    amburan1amburan1 Member Posts: 1
    I got my 2001 Odyssey SS last week. It was a pleasant surprise. Nelson Honda called me and said they have one SS and if I am willing I can pick it up. I and my wife drove straight and took a test ride and was all happy. All of a sudden I just wanted to check whether my Insurance will cover me to drive the vehicle home. Unfortunately due a computer prob, my insurance was cancelled. Had to wait until next morning (was praying that no one should take the vehicle and the saleman promised me). got the glitch rectified and took delivery of the car.

The salesman asked me to pay extra because it was alloted to someone. Mine is supposed to come by another three weeks later. If I have to take a rental car for three weeks I would have end up paying $500 as rent. Instead spent around $100 as the extra money to him. The car is very fine and am very happy.

Need to buy accessories.....
  • Options
    What's the best price anyone's gotten on the '01? I'm at $700 under msrp.
  • Options
    So, basically you paid a bribe to the salesman to get him to screw over some other customer? My guess is that other customer had probably passed on the minivan for some reason and the salesman just got you for the extra dough. Don't you think a guy who would tell you he's screwing another customer just might be screwing you?!? Remember, there is no honor among thieves....
  • Options
    wormserwormser Member Posts: 2
    When people are saying they paid MSRP (i.e.-$26840 for the 01' EX), are they paying any additional dealer fees? (i.e.- doc fees, prep fees, etc).

Orlando dealers are letting them go for MSRP, but all want about $400 more in dealer markup fees. I think this is being greedy. Is this the norm? Comments please.
  • Options
    What's happened? Did you get your van?

thanks
  • Options
    sbpceapsbpceap Member Posts: 67
    Well said in #267! An often overlooked point when we want something real bad. As it is said, "The truth will set you free... but first it will piss you off! (please pardon the bad language; "urinate you off" doesn't have the same impact.
  • Options
    baccus1baccus1 Member Posts: 5
    We are still waiting on our '01 SS EX which was promised to be delivered to us by the end of October. Well, got a call today and the dealership told us it won't be until mid November until it comes in. Do any of you think they are "icing" us? The Dealership is in Hagerstown, MD. and was spoken very highly of in this town hall. Any comments??????
  • Options
    katmicalekatmicale Member Posts: 6
    I live in NY and today went to Fair Honda in Danbury, CT...they had a GG LX (which is what I was looking for) coming in "any day"...they want $2000 over MSRP.

Came home and made calls to 5 other dealers. One said they charge no premium...but it's a three-month wait. Another charged no premium...however, you had to buy a bunch of options...no choice. Three others charged $1000 over MSRP...one had the GG LX I wanted coming in within a few weeks.

I can't find a dealer who is charging MSRP (nevermind under MSRP) without a really long wait or those bogus extras. It kills me to pay MORE than sticker price...why have a sticker price then!?!? I didn't necessarily need the van within a week or two...but was hoping within 6-8 weeks or so. Can anyone help? I'm in Putnam County, NY...which is just north of Westchester.
  • Options
    gennygenny Member Posts: 1
    looking for 2001 in Arlington, VA area and have been told 27539 which includes floor mats, wheel locks, mud guards and roof rack cross bars. What happened to msrp of 26400? thought roof rack and floor mats were standard equipment and have no interest in mud guard or wheel lock. new to this site. any feedback on this? that price does not include tax, processing fee (148) or tags (how much for tags?) Thank you all.
  • Options
    mjp12mjp12 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to embark on the purchase of a 2001 Honda Odyssey EX. Can anyone give me suggestions on some of the accessories. I am considering adding fog lights, crossbars for the roof rack, and the tow hitch. How much can I expect to pay for those options? Are the fog lights pre-wired? Perhaps these options (or some) can be installed by someone handy. If anyone has tried this and can offer information, it would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has purchased these options from the dealers, please let me know what you paid.
    Thank you!!!