Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    I have had 8 sightings of the mazda6 on 7 cars. One was a repeat sighting (in a parking garage). I was thinking that this was all somehow significant until on my last trip into the DC Zone of Urban Blight I spotted two ferrari 360 Modenas, one blue, one yellow.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    When I was there last. A red 355 I think. My God that engine sounds nice.

Interference is the correct term for engines where the valves can hit the pistons. They do suffer more if the timing belt/chain breaks but the design is more efficient. When it works.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    That's a good question. Most Mazda engines are non-interference (if your timing belt or chain breaks, no other damage to engine from parts smashing into each other), but what are the new MZR (2.0, 2.3L) engines, and the 3.0 V6?
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Of couse it competes with the Altima and the Passat as well. The 6 competes with the Altima and Passat while the Camry and Accord fight it out in the family sedan market. As for room the Altima is roomier than the 6 but than again the 03 6 has a bigger backseat than the 1998 Mazda 626 that i used to have doesn't it? The 98 626 was a good small family car but the backseat was just roomy enough for me. The 98 626 had the back seat room as this 97-98 Nissan 200SX I sat in once. For a compact the 200SX had good room in the backseat. In conclusion: If the 03 6 has a roomier backseat than a 98 626 backseat room shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure there are family's that will buy the 6. There were family's that bought the 626 right so I don't see it as a problem for the 6 to sell to a 35 year old couple who have a couple kids. If you have more than 2 kids there's always the SUV or Minivan route to go.
  • ruefusruefus Member Posts: 254
    Gee - you are SO right.

Ferraris engines are musical instruments. Music by internal combustion.

They don't rumble or bark or scream in the normal sense. They purr.
  • alcjewalcjew Member Posts: 173
    There are two small humps in the rear seats, but I noticed yesterday with my son (almost 6') sitting in the back that he looked kind of short back there. If anyone has ever sat in the back seat it's set either lower or the back portion is higher than most. I'm about 5'-10" and the top of the back portion, not the hump, was about 2" higher than the top of my shoulder. When I tried to tilt my head back the hump and the back portin prevented me from doing so. This setup allows for better rear visibility for the driver. In the front seat the top of my shoulders are about 2" above the top of the back portion.

skyray: Thanks for the info. I didn't have time to check Rev It Up last night on the 6 types their using. What is your group # and start time?
  • buddy_2_buddy_2_ Member Posts: 30
    Hey thanks alot for the info on the where abouts of the cars. They did have the one that i was looking for at webber motores here in edmonton. But the [non-permissible content removed] thing is, is that i already put a deposit on one at the jarman dealership, they told me that there was no other ones like that in alberta that wernt already sold. And that the one that they had comeing in would be here before anyone elses. So i gave them the deposit. And now i went down to that webber motores and they had one. I was not to happy. SO i talked to the people that i was dealing with already to see if they could mabey trade something to get the one at webber motors. And thet couldnt. So i asked them if i could have my deposit back so i could go and get the other one, and they said that they wouldnt give it back to me. And if i was not going to deal with them they were going to keep my money. Which is BS!!!!! So i will have to wait untill June for the car.

I guess in the long run it will save me a bit of extra cash cause webber was asking like $36000 plus tax for theres, and Jarman was asking $33500 plus tax. They sad that the reson why the other one was more expencive was because they had tinted the window but gees, ive never herd of tint costing like $2000.

How much did you guys pay for your cars????? mazda6 GT V6 with GFX package, and sport package.

Thanks again protege_fan and talking_head for the info.....
  • skyrayskyray Member Posts: 156
    Hey, anyone here opt for the Alarm Shock Sensor upgraede? I'm going to have my 6 in for some installation stuff in a week or two, and I was considering getting this since it's cheap.

But one dealer told me they're too sensitive and will go off if a cat looks at your car wrong. :-)

Plus I'm in Vermont, which is relatively low crime. (But I'd like my car protected if I go visit friends in DC...)

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing others' experiences with this upgrade. If it's not overly sensitive, it see it as cheap additional insurance that some goober won't mess with the car...
  • talking_headtalking_head Member Posts: 9
    The price break down was $34,060 (auto,gfx) + freight $1095+ PDI (whatever that is)+block heater+ dealer prep+ A/c TAX + metallic paint $105= $35,360 +$ 2475 GST
    for a walk away price of $37,850
    which is far north of the GT's MSRP starting at $31 900. Plus then they try to get you with the $975 ming protection pkg and $450 for a car starter.
    I was on 495 at the time. The guy was driving like an idiot at high RPM. But listening to that engine I could totally understand why.
  • jeffb1jeffb1 Member Posts: 42
    Well, this past Saturday I pulled the trigger on a Black 6S w/sports pkg, comfort, moonroof, leather, AT, bose, side curtain. It was right off the truck; not even cleaned up; plastic still on the seats. The negotiations took so long on Saturday evening that I had to drive back to the dealer yesterday to do the paperwork. On the way there, with a paltry 30 miles on my odometer, I met a dump truck. Yep, you guessed it -- the dump truck hit a bump and some debris fell off, and now I'm the proud owner of a 1 inch scratch/very slight dent on the front of my hood. I am still in shock over it.

Jeff
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    our prayers are with you....May God give you the strenght to get over this !
  • jndesmarjndesmar Member Posts: 13
    guys... the MSRP for a GT starts at 31995.00. However if you add a 5 speed sports mode AT for $1300.00, + GFX at $765.00 + block heater at $55.00 and Freight of $925.00 you get a MSRP of $35040.00. On top of that you need to add AC excise tax of 100.00, Alberta Tire Levy of 20.00, documentation fees of 195.00 and at some dealers an Anti Theft protection of 295.00.
    Make a long story short I was able to deal a little at a dealer in town who was also very generous with my trade in, a leased 2000 MPV. IN the end I had a paint protection and all fees thrown in and with the good trade in value the bottom line price for a loaded GT-V6 with GFX was close to $36.000.00 GST included.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Hmm...On Mazda's website, Freight+PDI should only be $925.00. Oh well.
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    So what does $36000 CDN convert to in US dollars?

I'm glad I had the S-Plan - don't have the pay the Documentation Fee 'cuz I had that.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2003

36,000 Canadian Dollar = 24,373.7 US Dollar
    36,000 US Dollar (USD) = 53,172.0 Canadian Dollar (CAD)

Median price = 0.67659 / 0.67705 (bid/ask)
    Minimum price = 0.66899 / 0.66934
    Maximum price = 0.67833 / 0.67861

This'll help with conversions in the future:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    ARGGGG.. That's so nasty. Our hearts are with you...
    hehehehe.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Sorry to hear that man. I hope you got the # off the truck. At least you can get them to pay for the damage to your car. I lost a windshield in my Protege to a truck throwing rocks, and I called the company right on the cell phone as I was driving with the truck and they paid for my glass.

Good luck, and sorry to hear it.
    skyray: I have the shock sensor upgrade and don't have any problems with the sensitivity. I believe it is adjustable, but have not investigated it yet. Plus I received a 35% discount off my ins.

jeffb1: Daaang! Did you get the license plate or the name of the dump truck company? I think some states, such as here in the NE, you can get compensated for damages caused by deep potholes or for any other road anamolies. But I believe it must be reported to law enforcement within a week. Don't know if the same goes for a privately owned dump truck that hit a bump and caused a 2nd party damage. Can you tap the bump out from inside the hood? I have a tip (courtesy of The Family Handyman mag, a very good mag for DIY'ers I might add)that I will post/share (Care & Maintenance section)later to repair paint chips/nicks before rust buildup may also apply to scratches. Well, let it be a lesson, don't follow too close to any large commercial trucks or dump trucks as the case may be or get to another lane or stay clear of these beasts anyway possible!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    About $15 US, right PF?
    I can sympathize. I have 8k on my 6 but I noticed Sunday night that some fool with a 2" receiver backed into my front bumper. It punctured my bumper and left a perfect die-cut looking square in the part that it didn't go through. I think it happened when I was at my friend's Sat night. Now I gotta find that Suburban that was parked in front of me....grrrrrr.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    ok it's allocation time again...here are the mixes....if you want a car for june production and july delivery then your order must be in and accepted by mazda before 4/16/03.

I....65%
    S....35%
    bose...40%
    leather/cold pkg...45%
    moonroof 60%
    Side bags/curtains...40%
    16'' alloy (total prod) 65%
    manual trans 10% (total prod)

***** important *****

July production will be the last allocation month for the 2003 MZ6...which means if you want a 2003 MZ6 you must have an order in than has been accepted by the factory by mid may!!! This does not mean the 2004's will be out right after, it means that the production schedule for the remainder of the model year is almost filled.

MZ6 sales for march were UP 22% over Feb and Feb was up 20% from Jan...
    Sure feels like that :(
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Still not enough in production from what I am seeing according to demand on these boards. I do wonder if the number of 6's being made with manual trans is slightly up from 2 months ago though.
    Remember...there is a big difference between enthusiest talking about the manual trans and people actually buying a manual trans...
    We are selling apx 25 mz6's per month and there is only mild interest in the manual trans...the actual buyers are in the 10% range.
    The bread & butter of the 6 buyers will be people trying to get from point A to point B. A not so nice way to put it is "Appliance Operators". They are not the kind of people who will spend time on messageboards discussing the various aspects of the appliance they have out in the garage.

Enthusiasts will - and most of those want manuals. If you went by the boards, you'd get the impression that MT was outselling the AT by a wide margin - it isn't and won't. Not because of availability, but becuase most don't want it. I consider myself a semi-enthusiast for cars (two wheels is really my thing) and I bought an AT because it made more sense for how & why I drive.
  • boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    audia8q--I notice 40% with side airbags/curtains. I think earlier you said only about 10% are willing to pay extra for that. Are these all cars that are "loaded" so buyers aren't really choosing the safety items, or is demand going up? What's your experience?
    We still are not seeing a alot of people who are asking for safety items, why I don't know, I'm a safety believer. They have saved my life twice...but we are seeing people who like Bose and moonroofs, etc..so they are getting some safety stuff by default....I stock cars with alot of options.
    Man, did I put this 6 to work in the NE 4" slushy & icy roads today. This 6 hugs those sharp curves like (I hate cliches, but...) a "hot knife through butter!" Left a newer Dodge Shadow(2dr) or whatever they call them these days, spinning his wheels next to me at the light.
  • jeffb1jeffb1 Member Posts: 42
    Unfortunately, I met the dump truck head on (I was heading West and he was heading East on a 2 lane road), so there was not enough time (after recovering from my initial shock) to look in the rear view and see the plates, or to even find a spot to turn around and chase him.

It happened because I'm obsessed with keeping my cars meticulous. Pure and simple, it was a pre-ordained event. Hey, life could be a lot worse; that much I know. I still have my health! :-)

Thx for the sympathy, everyone! (even with the hood scratch, the car STILL looks awesome).

Jeff
    That's why I think I've quit driving new cars. My 95 already has a few scratches. So I'm not as anxious.
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Jeff, is the scratch near enough to the front to cover it with a mask?

I got the M6s sports mask for a birhtday present. It just came yesterday and the directions make it sound like an ALL DAY job. But once the weather is nicer and I can wash, dry and play around with it I'll put it on.
  • clemulusclemulus Member Posts: 27
    Anyone have the link for the Mazda Rev it up on July 12/13th? I live in Western Mass and would like to go. Waiting for my engine break in - have 850 miles on my 6s steel grey baby.
    The MP3 player is available, by the way. My dealer got mine in. Not getting it in till next week, though, due to scheduling issues.
    Alcjew,

I'm in group 19 on Sunday, 7/13. Check in time at 11, track session 1 at 2:20.

Clemulus,

The link is www.mazdarevitup.com. I'll be there that Sunday. (See earlier in this message. :-) And I have a steel gray 6s with 780 miles myself!
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    Can't wait. College roommates from Freshman and Sophomore year coming, too... expect some serious go-kart action that morning before the classes start.
  • mike1770mike1770 Member Posts: 20
    at the event here in Houston. I'm really looking forward to it -- hoping some other 6 owners show up, too.
  • tchootchoo Member Posts: 93
    Alcjew

I signed up for Saturday 7/12. I register at 12.20pm. Group 23 I believe.
  • cwrigh01cwrigh01 Member Posts: 23
    Houston, Sunday group 9 (get out there before the heat hits!). I have a few friends who are going as well.

We need a Rev It Up message board! :)

--soon to be 6s owner.
    This weekend...woo hoo!
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    don't forget to bring a digital camera!
    I'm in group 13, hopefully that's not going to be an indication of how my day will be, reg time @ 9:40. Wanted to get in early (8:00 is too early) and finish (1:40) before it gets too hot being mid-July/summer. tchoo: I'll see you there Sat. I'll see skyray on Sun.

cookie01: Hate to spoil your birthday present, but those mask/bras entrap dirt, road grime and moisture that can damage your finish as it flaps at high speed/wind even though they claim to fit snuggly. I saw something about it on one of the auto (Motorweek?) TV. They recommend using acrylic/Lexan hood protectors such as Lund or the adhesive-back clear Mylar film. That's why you rarely see masks being used even though they still sell them. Other than that it still makes your car standout.
    I know of no one who's used a front mask that hasn't had it muck things up. Mis-match paint fade, gotta rip it off if it rains since water causes dirt to get anywhere. And I mean ANYWHERE. Then you have to clean it. Even the slightest amount of flapping will wear through to bare metal quicker than you can imagine. To me, it causes as many problems as it solves.

Use at you're own risk.
    Hey all, we're approaching 10K posts. Who will be that lucky person? Anyone having any problems lately? That board has been stuck on 105 posts for quite awhile, which is a good thing! Anyone else going to give Rev It Up a try? After this post there should be about 287 left. We should hit 10K during the weekend!
  • miata10aemiata10ae Member Posts: 90
    Finally, I took delivery of a Steel Grey M6s MT fully loaded last night. The car had only 2 miles on the odometer when I picked it up. For those of you who are still waiting on this car there is only one word to describe it for you. AWESOME!!!. Initial impressions of this car are anything but more than excellent. At idle this car is so quiet that at one time I cranked the engine while it was still running. Aouch. Maybe I was still geting over my excitement. This car exceeded my expectations. There are absolutely no rattles. I didn't experience any wind noise entering the cabin, like someone reported here, and I was travelling at about 85mph. Only some tire noise is noticeable at that speed but is by no means intrusive. It is really really hard to keep it at legal speeds but since I am going through the break in period I would have to pay more attention to my speedometer. The MT is slick. I didn't experience any notchiness in shifting gears that some other people were also reporting here. It is absolutely an amazing car. On top of that I only paid $400 over invoice including the $500 graduate discount from Mazda, and $100 discount coupon that I had from that dealership. I will keep you posted as I put more miles on it. Zoom Zoom.
    miata10ae: Congrats and welcome to the club! When you have time not salivating over your new 6 please post pics of your new baby! My first choice was I steel gray, but settled on a black beauty instead in the dealers showroom.
  • whiteatenzawhiteatenza Member Posts: 11
    Hey guys, whats up? Well, i picked up my Mazda 6s AT 2 saturdays ago down in Huntington Beach, CA. Its performance white with the sport package, bose package, comfort package, leather, side/side curtain airbags, compass/autodim/homelink mirror, chrome package, and the the satin fuel filler door. Its so SHWEET!!! The sportshift is really fun. I hope the car becomes even more faster after the break in is over. I just like to thank my parents for the great early graduation gift. The only thing that bugs me about the car is the fuel economy; at this point it doesn't really seem that good, any ideas about this?
  • tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    I went to sign up for the Rev it up event here in Chicago only to discover that the cost will be $39. I can get 6 runs at the autocross in my own car for $25. I guess I'll pass on this opportunity.

This really is surprising. Ford charged nothing for the No Boundaries experience, and Mercedes charged nothing for its E-Motion event at the Chicago Motor Speedway. I can't believe Mazda actually wants you to pay for their marketing while Ford sets up an off-road course and lets you loose with their SUVs while Mercedes gives you access to $80,000 AMG models to drive around, all for free. Surely each of those events is more expensive than this Rev it up event. And what's with the Chicago location...