Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Titan

Comments

• Options
    bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    The Nissan web site has the Titan Prices interactive menu with options. Nissan is being smart! They are undercutting the competition, even with the discounts that are being offered by the Domestics. By the way, does everyone realize that the Titan is the ONLY truck built entirely in the USA with entirely USA parts, NO outsourcing to other countries like the Domestics, interesting, isn't it!

It looks like the best deal is the SE Crew package, even fully loaded it is $4,000 to $5000 less then the LE package, don't add the DVD player and you can save another grand.  DVD players can be added anytime after market, and the prices will continue to come down.  I like the idea of having a Navigation system, but wow, it adds a lot to the cost of the Truck, since you have to go with the LE and you have to add the DVD Player and sunroof as well.  I bet aftermarket Navigation systems will be coming down as well, and most likely could be added to the Titan. I know people have really customized their F150's including Nav systems, so I guess it would be possible to customize a Titan too!

If you really wanted to save some money you can get a loaded XE Crew for about $32,000 MSRP. It does not have the bells and whistles of the SE, but it would still make one great truck. And,what a price!

I like the SE, because you can more bells whistles. And, you get it loaded withought DVD player for about $35,000 MSRP. I say add DVD later if you need it, prices will keep coming down on after market systems. I for one, don't care to have it at all. I prefer rock and roll music and coversation on trips.

Back to the packages, again, the SE seems to be the best deal. $6,000 is a lot to pay to go to the LE package for Nav and DVD, when they might be able to added after market anyway for far less. Any comments?
  • Options
    jake696jake696 Member Posts: 111
    Keanec knows all...and is happy to share!
  • Options
    keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    Sometimes they hurt, sometimes not. Jake, i'm touched you care. I guess it gets under your skin that we have one-payer universal health up here, eh?

That said, how do you like your 2004 Sienna? I am in the market for one in the spring and I like to here comments about them - good or bad.
  • Options
    Lets get back to talking about the Titan instead of each other. I will repeat my post from above: Nissan is being smart! They are undercutting the competition, even with the discounts that are being offered by the Domestics. By the way, does everyone realize that the Titan is the ONLY truck built entirely in the USA with entirely USA parts, NO outsourcing to other countries like the Domestics, interesting, isn't it!

It looks like the best deal is the SE Crew package, even fully loaded it is $4,000 to $5000 less then the LE package, don't add the DVD player and you can save another grand.  DVD players can be added anytime after market, and the prices will continue to come down.  I like the idea of having a Navigation system, but wow, it adds a lot to the cost of the Truck, since you have to go with the LE and you have to add the DVD Player and sunroof as well.  I bet aftermarket Navigation systems will be coming down as well, and most likely could be added to the Titan. I know people have really customized their F150's including Nav systems, so I guess it would be possible to customize a Titan too!

If you really wanted to save some money you can get a loaded XE Crew for about $32,000 MSRP. It does not have the bells and whistles of the SE, but it would still make one great truck. And,what a price!

I like the SE, because you can more bells whistles. And, you get it loaded withought DVD player for about $35,000 MSRP. I say add DVD later if you need it, prices will keep coming down on after market systems. I for one, don't care to have it at all. I prefer rock and roll music and coversation on trips.

Back to the packages, again, the SE seems to be the best deal. $6,000 is a lot to pay to go to the LE package for Nav and DVD, when they might be able to added after market anyway for far less. And, the XE loaded, is around around $32,000 MSRP. Any comments?
  • Options
    You really want to go there here Keanec? OK...NO NOT the Canadien system, it's the health care system everyone points at and says: see, it doesn't work there! We don't want it...

My wife loves her 2004 XLE Limited AWD Sienna, it was worth the wait and we got it well under MSRP. Thanks for asking.
  • Options
    triattriat Member Posts: 121
    jake696 - Thanks for the support! I really like differing opinions, that's what this internet stuff should be all about.

keanec - Oops,Yes my bad, I am sorry! Thanks for straightening me out! B.C. is a huge area. Very beautiful. I always look forward to visiting again!

bmwdoug - I think I have seen you on other threads? Your opinion is always appreciated! At the auto show I was still thinking Tundra DC. I went back & forth sitting in both vehicles a lot of times(F150 also). I felt the Titan rear seat was more comfortable. More thigh support,more room,nice seat back,easier to fold.BTW,from the driver seat, amazingly, Titan easiest to see rearward over the tailgate for backing. SE is what I'm looking at. I believe trans only major item from Japan.

PREMIUM FUEL: Titan brochure says yes; but Armada same engine-reg unleaded, & dealer not sure-but expected reg unleaded,website at the time did not specify. Weds early a.m. I called Nissan customer service. Per tech, "Premium is recommended". I asked why Titan different than Armada?, & that this would affect my purchase choice. "Reg Unleaded will work ok, but Premium recommended". Honda made similiar mistake few years ago. MDX at first required premium,while Odyssey with same motor used reg unleaded.
    I agree with keanec, if anyone gets a chance to see the owner's manual, let us know! I don't recall seeing any "Premium Fuel Only" labels on the dash, nor on the gas cap of the LE I test drove, so I would think the Titan uses reg unleaded.

AIRBAGS: Pick Airbags on website, & it says must order tow/off-road & if I remember,Utility Bed packages in order to get Airbags. Brochure vaguely seems to indicate only need one of those packages to get airbags? Anyone know about more about this? thanks
  • Options
    kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    bmwdoug says "...the Titan is the ONLY truck built entirely in the USA with entirely USA parts..."

And trait: "I believe trans only item from Japan"

I wonder how much of this truck really is domestic?
  • Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    i will apologize for assuming you did not have a bruchure, but i will not for saying you drove a pre-production prototype. the prototype that was in our dealership in august had a shiny dash...but the ones we drove last week at the ride-and-drive had textured dash boards.

now...if its a prototype, then its illegal (federal laws) to have a non-manufacturer drive on open roads. if its a production model, and you didnt look at the dash right(?), then they violated nissan's franchise agreement. if you are not a salesman, and you got to drive it, then more power to you...but heads are gonna roll over it.
  • Options
    jwilli420jwilli420 Member Posts: 22
    i believe if triat is driving a titan it has to be a prototype, because no titans are listed on the internet as being delivered yet. And on the certification test for a titan the correct awnser for the recommended gas is regular unleaded. So somebody at nissan doesn't think it is premium.
  • Options
    crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    We attended the auto show here in Phoenix AZ. This is basically a local dealer show with a few concept vehicles in the mix.

Nissan had " 1 " Titan there. An extra cab on a platform with rails around it. Of course there was the skinny female giving a presentation.

you would think if Nissan has a big release date of Dec 1 for the truck there would have been a few more trucks there to crawl over. I cannot report on the angle of the rear seat of the crew cab Titan since there was not one there.

As I recall the crewcab Titan is to be released in early 2004?

We did look at the Armada to check out the interiors. IF as folks here have posted the interiors are very similar , the Titan will be a good contender against the other " big 3 " trucks out there.
  • Options
    I am still waiting for both of your apologies for calling me a liar.

Both of you also please re-read my post. I sat in a prototype(there were 3 of them)at the our Austin autoshow weeks ago. I said nothing about the LE CC I saw at the dealer Sun, & later test drove Tues. That LE CC was their 1st Titan. They designated it as their demo. They will offer for sale after it reaches 3-5K miles.

bowke28: The 4 Titan dashes I have seen are textured(same as Armada). However they are shiny, & the glare reflects in windshield. The production Titan exactly same as pre-production. Due to rake of windshields, Nissan should have made dash out of non relective flat black/grey material like Volkswagon/BMW & others.
  • Options
    I am looking forward to everyone's reviews of their test drives soon! I wonder if others will have positive similiar impressions as I have.

My only nitpick is the windshield glare(correctable with a dash mat?) & airbag availability information.

I can't believe I'm excited about a truck! But it drives,rides,looks so nice & well built. I am looking forward to owning one soon.
  • Options
    renonevadarenonevada Member Posts: 69
    Why are y'all getting so excited about a new truck? Does it fly? Can it tread water like a Simca? (Oops, I'm showing my age.) Is it faster than a speeding bullet? More powerful than a locomotive?

Seriously, consumers are playing right into Nissan's marketing ploy: to get truckers SALIVATING to get this truck. There probably is not a better truck for the money, but GEEZ! It's only a truck. Y'all throw around figures of $30-35K like money grows on trees. In 1997, I told myself that I would not pay $20K for a new pickup. Six years later, I told myself I would not pay $30K for a new pickup. Have y'all noticed the trend? The trucks' base prices increase only a few hundred bucks, but the options to complete a facade that say "Hey world, look at my individuality" are escalating faster than the inflation rate during the early Reagan (God bless his soul) years (carryover from Jimma Carta years).

I believe that the Nissan will be a great success. I might even break down and get one. But one thing is for sure: if the public swoops these trucks up like you purport on this thread, the price will be $40,000 within three years.

Y'all are scaring me...
  • Options
    Before someone says, "Whatsa matta, you can't afford to buy a new truck?" O contrare, si' senor. It's just that I am from the tail end of the Baby Boomers who look at major purchases as an investment: not a GenX or GenY who is used to blowing large sums of money impulsively. Everybody should be happy with their purchase. Who am I to criticize? Only throwing my $.02 in the pot.
  • Options
    Point well made renonevada, I must agree.

Here's a plan: if one want's to spend that much (most likely finance...) on a truck, or anything...wait 6 months, think long and hard about it and then see if you still want to do it. (This works well for marriage too...)

If you still gotta-gotta have it, then go get that new truck! Bowke will be happy with his little commisson and you get that long awaited new truck-probably for less by now as the frenzy has subsided and the dealer will sell it to you below MSRP.
  • Options
    rivestrivest Member Posts: 10
    Is it true? No climate control, even on the LE?
  • Options
    you said: "I am from the tail end of the Baby Boomers who look at major purchases as an investment"

im saddened that, with all the information available to you, you still consider a vehicle purchase an investment.

well, O contrare, si' senor, does a vehicle post a positive return over ANY amount of time? you would do better for yourself in your vehicle decisions to consider it a transportation cost...no different than people in NYC budget for the subway every month.
  • Options
    keep holding your breath for that apology.
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    >>Seriously, consumers are playing right into Nissan's marketing ploy: to get truckers SALIVATING to get this truck.<<

Actually, I don't think any of this dialogue is or has been sanctioned by Nissan. It has been spawned by humans because of a tribalistic tendency of some Americans. This reminds me of Chevy owners -- a lot, and that wasn't meant to be a compliment.

If Nissan has a good and solid product they won't need hype or phony bravado. They won't need point people to cut down the competition, where it is just as likely to turn people off (a concept that's proven to have negative consequences with a more intelligent customer base). This is the talk of salepeople. Nissan typically doesn't raise their sales representatives to be egotistically proclaiming, and in the past that's been a good part of their success.

Reno, I enjoyed hearing your sane comments. I think it's time to let the children play all by themselves, don't you?

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    im a nissan salesperson, and im hoping the titan does well. however, noone on this board is likely to be my client, so why would i waste my time talking about it?

im a car nut, and like to talk about new models. i happen to have an insight into the titan that noone else does for now, and i enjoy being able to answer questions about it and provide opinions. i have no other motivation for being on here.

if you think otherwise, then you also probably believe that sony wants to control the world through their playstation. ;-)
  • Options
    akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    Practice makes permanent. In a posting environment, you have time to think through what to say to prompt a response or guide the conversation.
    Practice practice practice.
  • Options
    This board has turned out to be more fun than actually shopping for a new truck!!!

I'm not necessarily defending Reno, but I think there's a point there regarding the "investment".

Of course, (almost) no vehicle is an investment like stocks or real estate; however, there are different types of buyers and approaches.

I see folks who trade every few years and always seem to have finance (or lease) payments to make on a vehicle. (Bowke loves these folks!)

Some of us treat it more like a long-term investment, especially the research that goes into the purchase. I keep vehicles 8-10 yrs. or more and don't really care about things like resale. I do care about long-term reliability and long term costs and I have taken up to 2 years to make my purchase decision.

There are differences in thinking if you do this as opposed to buying a new vehicle every 2-3 yrs. allowing the dealer to have their hand in your pocket the whole time and responding to the latest trends.
  • Options
    keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    Sometimes people buy new every two to three years because they LIKE new vehicles and for other reasons. For example, why do people buy a $50000 vehicle when you can get a $20000 vehicle of the same size? Some because of vanity, some because they love vehicles and quality.

I have bought many vehicles lately for two reasons; 1. changing life circumstances, and 2. I love vehicles. Some people spend their money on bigger homes, some on eating out, others on plays and booze. I spend some of my cash on new vehicles.

The first reason is the biggest one though. Had a sports car; got married and had kids; bye bye sports car - hello CR-V. Bought a travel trailer, bye bye CR-V, hello small truck, and Sentra. Got a dog (big), bye bye Sentra & hello new CR-V. Kids start playing hockey, by by frontier hello Titan!
  • Options
    is that people who consider an automobile an investment are the ones who lose the most money on them. whether you pay cash, finance, or lease, i get paid the same...the only difference is that if you lease, i get 1 more shot at a repeat sale.
  • Options
    rivestrivest Member Posts: 10
    Bowke,

Do you know if climate control is an option? Website makes a generic mention when talking of NAV system.

Does NAV system only cover mapping for major cities, or all cities in US?

Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    i cant figure it out...the climate control, i mean.

the nav system covers the entire lower 48.
  • Options
    You mean you don't make more money on the guy that trades every 2-3 years...that is of course, if he likes you well enough to come back to you? I'm starting to wonder if you live in same universe?

"...people who consider an automobile an investment are the ones who lose the most money on them." Not sure what this means Bowke. If you take care of your "investment", keep it in good shape, it lasts longer and still has residual value after 11 yrs. - your statement is bunk.
  • Options
    an investment, by definition, does not go down in value. therefore, a car IS NOT an investment. something that goes down in value is 'lost revenue'. by taking care of a car, and making it last longer, does it not take more money? the longer a car lasts, the less your yearly/monthly/weekly/daily loss is, but its the same amount of a loss no matter how you add it up.

my point is that the people who lose the LEAST on a car purchase are the ones who never buy it in the 1st place.
  • Options
    jwilli420jwilli420 Member Posts: 22
    Getting a 30000 vehicle plus add the 2000 you pay in taxes and the interest on your payments, that 1000 dollar residual at the end of 11 yrs doesn't look like much. You then get to start the whole process over again and save an enormous amount of 1000 dollars. That is not an investment that is, what bowke said, transportation cost. The only diffence is you don't take a city bus in for repairs. Thats why a lease is the best way to go
  • Options
    crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    I own a 1948 Simca. It does not look like it will float .

Excited about a new truck? Appearantly you are not up on the situation here.

Nissan taking on the big boys at their game. I t should be interesting on how things change in say 5 years.
  • Options
    You call me a liar(I'm not the only poster on this thread you've called a liar this month). Then you don't even have the guts to admit your mistake and apologize?

In your opinion this must be acceptable and normal behavior and practices for a Nissan salesperson??
  • Options
    i apologized for saying you lied about the brochure. but unless you either work directly for nissan or you are a salesperson, i do not, and WILL NOT beleive that you have driven a titan.

and please dont tell me what my opinion is.
  • Options
    I have no professional affiliation with Nissan. Nevertheless I along with other customers have driven the Titan.

Just keep your head in the sand, and keep disbelieving customers, and maybe you will sell more vehicles??

Bowke, you spend much effort convincing others to believe the information you shovel out. However, an average Joe sharing his experience behind the wheel of the Titan you attempt to discredit.

If you can't handle the truth, you have no business here, nor in your present career dealing with people. You are doing yourself and your employer a disservice.
  • Options
    Now I remember why I dislike dealing with car salesman!

Almost ALL my investments went down (by the way) a few years back. Guess mutual funds and stocks don't fit YOUR definition of investment...
    Glad they are coming back! I suppose yours kept on gaining through all that.

Lease? Not a chance...Unless you have one that accomodates 60-80K miles a year? The heck...how about 20-40K a yr. Lot of space up here on the prairie and we tend to drive a bit.

We buy all vehicles outright, both personally and for courier use in the business.

And for jwilli420...the last truck I had 11 yrs. I purchased for 7700 with cash and got 3000 for it when I sold it. I probably should've never sold it as it ran fine for years after that.

Anyway, our sales tax in this state for a new vehicle = 3% gotta love it! No income tax either!

Do your math however you want to. You can justify anything by playing that game. Car dealers do it all the time with your trade-in.

Fact is: If you buy and sell a vehicle every 2-3 years and never pay one off...even at the lower interest rates of the last decade or so, you are still paying more than buying and holding one RELIABLE vehicle for many years. The insurance alone is big $$$.
  • Options
    You folks that like to trade all the time and support the economy, keep it up! I benefit from that - via my investments.

Unfortunately, some are living way beyond their means. Over mortgaged, with 2 cars and a boat financed is OK...until you go bankrupt and we all pay!
  • Options
    Some one who thinks buying consumer goods can, in any way, be an investment?

The car salesman is right.You make investments with the intention that they will GAIN VALUE.

When you buy a car, or anything that gets "used up" You are SPENDING money. Not investing it. (as bowke said)You can minimize your expenditure on transportation a number of ways but the money is SPENT not invested.Typically investments never reach $0 value, including stocks and mutual funds, and most actually GAIN value in the long run.

As was said earlier.You can save a lot of your transportation expense by driving the car more years,not buying fully loaded or luxury models, or not buying new, but with all these options you still eventually reach $0 every time.

With a lease, you're always paying for the depriciation (plus interest) on a new vehicle-not cheap.

So, by all means, save money any way you can. If some one spends more than you on transportation then they'll have less to invest. Unless you're spending more than you can afford something else.

kg
  • Options
    Investment

noun (1615): the outlay of money usually for income or profit : capital outlay; also : the sum invested or the property purchased.
     ------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------Webster's 9th Collegiate Dictionary

The term "investment" has more than one meaning.

Dusty
  • Options
    tonortonor Member Posts: 3
    All this 'investment talk' is informative, but I'm more interested in the truck. Has anyone sat in the backseat of the crewcab model? How does the backseat legroom compare to the F250
  • Options
    is a little wider, but leg and head room are comparable...also, the back seat is at more of a recline than any of the ford crew cabs.
  • Options
    piopremierpiopremier Member Posts: 10
    bowke, why is it so hard to believe that people have driven this truck? It's out there man. I know by the time most people read this it will be Dec. 1st and a moot point but it has been funny listening to you insist it was an only dealer rep. thing when i got my first drive in mid november.
  • Options
    A church pew is more comfortable. I prefer Fords but I own a GMC 2500 HD becuase I can't get my teenagers to ride on that F250 seat.

I believe people have been test driving Titan here in Fresno,CA

kip
  • Options
    Kip, you are right about the back seat of the F150 and F250 Crew Cabs, they are stiff as a board. There is no rear set back angle. The back seat is worthless for anyone riding in the back for more then 20 minutes. Hey, you are in Fresno, so am I. But, I am trying to leave, the air quality here is terrible and getting worse, and the core of Fresno is becoming like the movies, Escape from New York and Escape from LA . Not a good situation. But, back to the Titan, I have not seen one in Fresno, hopefully they are out and about. I would love to see one.
  • Options
    Lithia was showing them off on the weekend the new F150 came out and I'm pretty sure they were allowing test drives. They'll be selling them tomorrow.

I love Fresno (except the air) I've lived in the Tower dist since before it was the cool part of town. It's not as scarey downtown as it was in the '80s.

kip
  • Options
    thats been my point. dealers got a 'visit' from the titan and armada when the f150 came out...we had one too...but its a federal offense to drive a prototype vehicle on open roads. people dont seem to understand that. if somehow, someone got to drive one, great!!! im happy for them! but with as many people as there are on here that just like attention, im sure you all can understand my skepticism.
  • Options
    jross37jross37 Member Posts: 7
    I would hardly consider the Titan a prototype. I've seen ads to "Come in and drive the new Titan" in 3 different cities.
  • Options
    ours says *after 12/1/03
  • Options
    jross37jross37 Member Posts: 7
    "Come in today and test drive the new Titan"

Are you the person that deals directly with Nissan? Could it be possible that you or whoever deals with Nissan is wrong? Misread something? Got bad info?

Anyway---I'm excited to hear what types of deals Nissan dealers are doing on this truck. I've currently got a 350Z and looking for something a little more practical. Love the car practical it is not! If anyone has any insight on this I'd love to hear it.
  • Options
    saying its impossible that people have driven the titan. but a couple things make me doubt it:

1) we are one of the largest nissan dealers in the indianapolis zone, and STILL dont have any titans.

2) people were saying they drove a titan even before the job 1 date.

3) people on this board REGULARLY fib about these things to get attention.

there are other reasons that i doubt the validity of people driving titans before today, but the list is too long.

IF someone other than a nissan salesperson or manufacturer has driven the titan, then at best, it violates the franchise agreement, and at worst, it could be a federal offense.
  • Options
    I appreciate all of your comments about investment in its vernacular - spending an amount of money to make a positive return, such as what we all know from Investing 101, however, I did not clearly state my intent: what I meant was using investment in abstract terms. Jake696 understands completely my intent - which is, after the initial purchase of a truck, how long may we expect to keep it before the truck becomes uneconomical to retain? If we're not SAVING money in maintenance costs (just taking care of the fixed costs, i.e., oil changes, tires, batteries, etc.), then we must be SPENDING money to maintain it (variable costs, i.e., transmission repair, water pump, fuel pump, or other non-routine maintenance items). This is an investment in ownership.

I applaud those of you who upgrade your truck purchases on a short-term (3-7 year) plan. You know what suits your tastes. Some in my circle of friends change new vehicles in the same patterns because there is a level of "comfort" in knowing that they have a new, reliable vehicle at all times. But there are many of us who feel that when we buy a vehicle (especially of this price range), we are in it for the long haul. We are not so quickly awe-inspired by the latest gimmickry. The Titan is not a gimmick; it's "the real deal". I just hope that Nissan has the chutzpah to CONTROL the Titan pricing and not let it get out of hand.

Thanks, Bowke28, for sharing your insight on the Titan. As you said, you don't make a single penny off of sharing your information - because you are an enthusiast (isn't that why we all are here?). Hopefully, with the information (that you are privy to) that you share with those of us who are not in the auto business, we may be in a good position to make a good deal and buy a tremendous product. Would you please keep us informed as to what types of discounts your dealership is giving to purchasers of this truck?

Thanks to all that participate. We learn from each other. And have a good time.
  • Options
    Actually, Reno, I think you're apologizing needlessly.

When you purchase any durable goods you are making an investment. Not the type that will bring you profits when you sell, but the type that will render the most amount of value.

A .99 cent screwdriver has value, but maybe it's useable life is 200 events. A $7.00 screwdriver costs more, but may continue to give you better than adequate service for the rest of your life.

Like you, my vehicles stay with me for a long time. I just figured that in 40 years I've had five vehicles, the last two going a full ten years. My Sentra went eleven, actually.

Best regards,
    Dusty