Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jeffb1jeffb1 Member Posts: 42
    Guys,

I'm in the St. Louis area. I have an internet offer on a '09 mazda6s GT with the spoiler as the only option. $29,330 sticker -- their offer is $23,981 ($5349 off sticker). I told them I was an existing mazda6 owner, and I followed up to see if the owner loyalty rebate is included in that price and it is. Is this a good price or should I try for a better deal? Thx in advance.

Jeff B.
  • lewisindelewisinde Member Posts: 6
    I think that $5000+ under sticker price is a very good. I bought a 6 GTi for more than $3000 under MSRP in January and thought that was very good.
  • ambrosiaambrosia Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for your replies. I ended up buying a 2009 Mazda6 i Grand Touring from a private seller.

I searched craigslist and discovered that there are a number of people selling because of the economy and/or loss of jobs. This isn't exclusive to Mazda. I saw deals on BMWs and other vehicles as well. I paid $19,500 total for the vehicle and won't have to pay sales tax since I didn't buy it from a business. The only additional expense should be an $18 or $25 fee to transfer my plate and tags from my previous vehicle.

The car had less than 2300 miles when I picked it up and it has a spoiler. I'll add the ipod kit soon and eventually may get the 18" wheels but I'm very pleased so far. I traveled out of state to pick it up and had an 8 hour drive to really evaluate the ride and handling. My last car was a BMW and, while that is truly the ultimate driving machine, I'd say the Mazda is a close second. You can tell they tried to mimic that experience. I'll say it again, its not the same as the BMW but its really good and for the money paid I am very pleased.

I'd encourage anyone looking for a new car to try to find a private seller first. Whatever their situation, they realize they are probably going to take a loss on the car. They've likely already been to the dealer and have been told that they can't get rid of the vehicle without coming out of pocket several thousand dollars first. Furthermore, they are taking the hit on the depreciation that occurs as soon as you drive the car off the lot. My car retails around $27,000 - $28,000 and would be close to $30,000 after taxes and other fees. Of course, there is cash for financing through Mazda and you can negotiate for a better deal but none of the dealers I spoke with could get me out the door at $19,500 without my trade and that was for a base model car with two options added.

To protect myself, I got a carfax report and took the vehicle to a local Mazda dealer where they inspected it for about $80. Given the mileage, I wasn't concerned about mechanical issues since everything is still under warranty. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't an accident that wasn't showing up on the carfax report. Everything checked out.

Good luck to anyone buying right now.

Zoom Zoom!!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I paid $19,500 total for the vehicle and won't have to pay sales tax since I didn't buy it from a business.

You are fortunate you live in a state where they don't charge sales tax on private-party car sales. Not the case in every state--such as mine. :cry:
    Completed the purchase on my new '09 6S GT w/spoiler Friday evening. $29330 MSRP, bought for $23931 like the internet sales guy said, no tricks, and I got him to throw in all weather floor mats. Couldn't be happier with the purchase so far. Question: does mazda offer door guards for it? Those doors bulge out and are a door dent waiting to happen! Thx. Jeff.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    ...or he just thinks he does not have to pay sales tax and will find out that he does when he registers the car. If not technically called "sales tax" it will amount to the same thing.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_you_have_to_pay_sales_tax_when_purchasing_a_used_ca- r_from_a_private_party_seller_in_California

I'd be surprised to learn that there is any state that has a sales tax but does not collect it, or the equivalent, on private party sales.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    What dealer did you buy from and did your deal include the "current Mazda owner" rebate of $1000?
    Bommarito Mazda in Ellisville, mo -- and the deal did include the owner loyalty rebate. I had to have my existing mazda6's registration and proof of insurance for the form that they filled out.

I finally got a chance to take a long ride in the car this afternoon. I then jumped in my old car (2003 6S). Quite different, but both are fun to drive in their own way. the new 6 is definitely more powerful and refined, but there's a certain edgy quality on the old one that still puts a smile on my face in the corners.

BTW, the old one has 112k miles on it; only issue I had was bad cooling fan sensor that mazda covered for free.

Both are great cars, and the deals on the new one are incredible for the amount of vehicle you get. great value.

Thx.
    Jeff
  • drums1954drums1954 Member Posts: 20
    Check Out www.sportwing.com
    They sell Color Body Side Mouldings etc. for all cars.
    I bought the 09 Mazda Mouldings in Black Cherry and they look great.
    I am actually picking up a 09 6-GT on Tuesday.
    Hope this helps
    it does help -- thx! Was it difficult to put them on? how did you get them to be straight?

Thx.
    Jeff
  • drums1954drums1954 Member Posts: 20
    Jeff...

The Dealer put them on..Charged me $125 Bucks..
    I am sure your Dealer can do it..
    Sportwing, also has Installation people around the country.
    You can call them.
  • caraddict2caraddict2 Member Posts: 24
    Hey guys got a question on 2009 Mazda 6 GT, loaded. Sticker price MSRP 31000, with 5,500 miles being offered at $24,750. What do you guys think? Wondering how good of a deal it is? It was a mazda demo vehicle. Thanks Jerry
    I just paid $23,900 for a brand new one but less loaded (only $29,330 msrp). Yours sounds like just as good a deal -actually better imo.

You won't regret the purchase. I'm really impressed with mine so far, and I had an '03 6S (that I still have) with 112k miles on it that has had zero problems in the 6 years I've owned it. (my $.02)

Jeff
  • anniemaomdanniemaomd Member Posts: 1
    Great deal, is $23931 did not included the tax&tag ?
    I don't know how this works in other states but sales tax is not required in Georgia for "casual sales." This is defined as a person to person transaction as opposed to purchasing from a dealer. I confirmed this with the DMV prior to purchasing the vehicle as this allowed me to spend more on the vehicle going through a private seller than going to dealer and having to factor in the sale tax.
    23931 didn't include tax and tag. bought in missouri, will have to license and pay sales tax in illinois.

Thx.
    Jeff
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Georgia does not tax private party auto sales. Any person selling more than five vehicles in a calendar year is considered a "dealer" and must collect sales tax on all vehicles sold.

Georgia DOES tax all new car sales, regardless of where it is purchased. For instance, I bought my '06 Mazda3 new at a dealership located in Knoxville, TN. Prior to registering the vehicle at my county tag office, I had to pay sales tax to the Georgia DOR.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • newworldnewworld Member Posts: 1
    What is the lowest any of you have gotten an M6i Touring for or Grand Touring recently?

I need to buy one within the next week or so and I've been researching like crazy, and I wanted to see if getting the i Touring w/ Moon & Bose system / Auto Tranny for $20,000 is doable?
  • manny25manny25 Member Posts: 3
    An i Grand Touring with Moonroof and Bose for 20k is not doable IMO. I paid about 23,700. Go to carsdirect.com and price it out in your area. You may have some wiggle room on their price depending on the dealer.
  • mirasolamirasola Member Posts: 7
    I bought an iTouring w/ convenience package 3 weeks ago for $23,360 OTD (including a new plate). I asked a dealer closer to me (the one I bought it from is almost an hour away) if they could just match the price, and they wouldn't budge from their price of about $300 more. I think you would have a hard time finding it for $20,000, unless you also had a loyalty rebate.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    I am thinking of a Mazda6 (2009) in an automatic, but the base version (i), now that I have a four month old with my wife (our first).

I have had my RX-8 since it was new in October of 2005 and have had no problems and great dealership service, but it's not practical, even with the quad doors, because it's a manual, and space is tight given everything that I have to pack in my car when I have 'baby duty.'

I love Mazda because their cars have so much more personality and sporty flavor than camcords.

The new 6 is much more spacious, and I think the interior looks fantastic compared to the last gen. The fuel economy is pretty good on the 4 banger, especially given the weight of the vehicle, and the fender flares kind of grow on you, especially if you are coming from a car like the RX-8.

I was wondering if anyone has seen pricing near the 16k mark for the base i automatic, not including TTL?

I don't really need leather, nav, auto climate control, and the base i is actually pretty well loaded. I'm not prepared to pay up for a lot of extras given the state of the economy and given that the 6 has never had quite the resale value of the Camry or Accord.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    I qualify for S-Plan, Tier 1 Supplier Discount, plus Mazda loyalty.

I was hoping to get an automatic value edition i for around 16k that has an MSRP of $18,465.

I am tempted to upgrade the cloth seats with aftermarket leather through a fantastic local shop I know, as the Mazda leather has not exactly received rave reviews.

Does anyone know if or when they're planning on releasing a Speed6 version?
    I don't know what state you are in but there is a Georgia dealership that had a base model i (manual transmission though) for $15,988. I just checked the website and its no longer posted but I'd call and mention the "door buster" that was previously online. It was black with a manual transmission and no upgrades but the price was right. I considered buying that vehicle myself before finding a private seller.

Like I said, I don't know where you are located or if you are willing to travel but the dealership is Rick Case Mazda in Duluth, Georgia and it was an internet special back when I was looking at vehicles last month. Larry Russell is the contact person for internet sales. You should be able to find the necessary contact info online.

You mentioned concerns about Mazda leather. This is my first experience with Mazda. I'd love to hear more about the problems people have had with it. Please elaborate.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Does anyone know if or when they're planning on releasing a Speed6 version?

Don't hold your breath. Since the MS6 sales were abysmal with the last-gen, I doubt you'll see another MS6 on these shores again, especially with the current economy.
    mz6greyghost & ambrosia:

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I'm willing to travel, especially if I can work a purchase into a vacation or business trip.

I've seen some dealers in Maryland and Texas with the base i automatic for an eyelash over 16k, and like I said, Mazda packed even the base 6 with so many features standard, the base car really is a value proposition in its class.

I happened to notice that Toyota is aggressively discounting the Camry lately, and I'll bet Honda will follow suit soon if they haven't already with the Accord.

A competitive sector seemed to get a lot more competitive with the arrival of the new Mazda 6, the Altima, the Sonata and the Chevy Malibu an Ford Fusion.

I think the Fusion and the Mazda6 are by far the sportiest of the bunch.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    on't hold your breath. Since the MS6 sales were abysmal with the last-gen, I doubt you'll see another MS6 on these shores again, especially with the current economy.

Sad but true. I think the "Speed6" is actually now the "Fusion Sport." The Fusion sport has a 3.5 vs the slightly smaller V6 in the Mazda and regular Fusion. I think it also has goofy paddle shifters and a slushbox.

From an earlier comment...why does transmission type play into available space? The Mazda6 is one of a handful of mid-size sedans available with a manual.
    why does transmission type play into available space?

Don't think that was meant. Believe the poster was just listing the different (unrelated) reasons for a trade to more "family friendly" vehicle. You can still row with a family but it does free up a hand for other duties. Also, isn't the V-6 in the 09 Mazda6 3.7L vs. the 3.5L in the Fusion Sport?
    m6user, you are correct in your response to lilengineerboy about the transmission issue.

lilengineerboy - the manual isn't as family friendly to me, because when we have the little one with us, I'm more likely to be multi-tasking, which is not a good idea but nearly impossible to avoid when you have a baby in the car, and driving a manual makes this even more risky.

I'm as safe a driver as humanly possible, but anyone with a baby knows that when you're driving with the baby in the car, a manual transmission makes any headache that occurs 10x worse.

I'm just learning how to pack and organize everything for even a short trip with a four month old. It's amazing how much gear they need. Good thing my wife is organized. LOL.
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    I can just say from experience it doesn't matter if you have a stick-shift or not. Babies and toddlers are in the back seat, either in their carrier or car seat, and you're in the front seat. My wife and I both have stick-shift vehicles, and we have a 2 yr old and a 7 month old. Having automatics wouldn't make driving any easier or harder. There's not a whole lot you can do from the driver's seat. If there's an issue we pull over and handle it, or just ignore the noise until we can stop safely.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Also, isn't the V-6 in the 09 Mazda6 3.7L vs. the 3.5L in the Fusion Sport?

Yes. Not only is the V6 larger in size, it also beats it in HP and torque figures as well.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I used to multi-task by eating while driving on long trips, when we had young children. But this was generally only after getting back on the freeway and up to cruising speed, so even when we had a manual it was no big deal as I would just be cruising in 5th.

However, unlike 20 years ago, these days manuals offer little or no practical advantages.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I can just say from experience it doesn't matter if you have a stick-shift or not. Babies and toddlers are in the back seat, either in their carrier or car seat, and you're in the front seat. My wife and I both have stick-shift vehicles, and we have a 2 yr old and a 7 month old.

We are in a similar situation, we have a 2 yr old and 2 manual trans vehicles. If someone told me I had to give up a stick to have a kid, I would've thought more carefully about it :P I second the comments that the kid is strapped in, facing the wrong way, in the back seat. There isn't a lot you are going to be able to do from the front seat anyway.

Our child seats are rated for 25 or 30 lbs rear facing, which were told is safer, so it will still be some time before he flips around. He seems to enjoy the manual transmission as well, making "vroom" and "whee" sounds.

If you like a manual, I would get a manual again. You aren't suddenly more or less responsible based on your transmission choice, and after about 2 years of driving a manual in north America, it becomes "automatic" enough to the driver that it doesn't count as multi-tasking. If you don't like a manual and are tired of it, then by all means get the slushbox, but you don't have to do it "for the kid."
  • kenshinluokenshinluo Member Posts: 1
    got a price quote for 20,475 for i touring AT (doesnt include any other fees)
    is it a good deal? it's about 3k under MSRP
  • tmikebtmikeb Member Posts: 18
    I have been reading many of posts regarding how to value a car.
    I am looking at the Nissan Maxima SV with the premium and technology packages. MSRP on the V6s I like are $39575.00. I can't purchase until the end of May but will then have 45 days or so to make a deal. I am replacing my company vehicle. Company will only pay 26862,00. They pay through a corporate leasing company by cashiers check at delivery. Leasing company handles TTL.

IYHO, can I get there?

Also, how do you calculate the invoice price of options? KBB states the following on 09 Maxima SV:
    MSRP**Definitions $33,580.00
    Invoice* $30,817.00
    New Car Blue Book Value*
    What consumers are really paying for this vehicle
    $32,237.00

I did receive an internet quote for 33399 for one with an MSRP of 39575.
  • oceana143oceana143 Member Posts: 38
    Anyone test both of them yet? Which would you think is the better handling vehicle?
  • mirasolamirasola Member Posts: 7
    I think you can go lower assuming that's just the price of the car before tax/title/fees. I got quoted a price of $19,761 for an iTouring AT right off the bat from one dealer. I ended up buying from him, but got one with the convenience package instead (which was well worth the extra money!).
  • oakwiltoakwilt Member Posts: 12
    What price should I be looking for on a 2009 Mazda 6 i Sport automatic?
    Don't know if you are anywhere near Florida but I saw one on craigslist for $13,500. Check the Fort Myers SW Florida Craigslist. It has under 6k miles. This is a good price. A local dealership here in Atlanta had one advertised around $16k but that one has sold and I don't know if they will offer that "doorbuster" again as the car sat on the lot for months. While it was a good price, there isn't much demand for base model vehicles. The craigslist post states that the car is fully loaded but based on the pictures it looks like it may be a base model with a few upgrades.

Good luck with the purchase. I bought my Mazda6 on Craigslist and traveled out of state to pick it up so I can offer some suggestions if needed.
    I am seeing a $1000 rebate plus another stacked $1,500 rebate if you're a current Mazda owner for the 2009 Mazda6.

This could be good for me because I think 15k or maybe even less is now possible on a manual i if this $2,500 in rebates is true.

I have not yet test driven the 09, so I need to check out the NVH levels and the firmness of the ride quality that I've heard some reviewers complain about as we have bad roads here, and I don't want a real firm ride for that reason.
    It's my understanding that there is a $1,500 rebate from Mazda on the Mazda6 now, PLUS another $1,000 rebate from Mazda if you currently own a Mazda (customer loyalty rebate).

These are factory rebates, and not dealership (stealership) rebates.

The offer ends 05/31.

Can anyone confirm this?

If so, I see a $15,400 Mazda6i in my future - if I don't wait for the cash for clunkers bill to pass, if it ever does, depending on what it's going to allow for.

Thanks!
    Look on Edmunds or Cars.com or several other websites including the Mazda USA website. They should all list the available rebates and I checked just recently and it was as you stated, $1500 rebate if financed through their preferred lender and $1000 loyalty rebate for a current Mazda owner.

Good luck finding a stripped down manual I4.
    Look on Edmunds or Cars.com or several other websites including the Mazda USA website. They should all list the available rebates and I checked just recently and it was as you stated, $1500 rebate if financed through their preferred lender and $1000 loyalty rebate for a current Mazda owner.

Good luck finding a stripped down manual I4.

Thanks for confirming. Two sets of eyes are better than one.

The only issue I see is that there is some language that says one of the rebates can't be used with any other offer. Obviously, if that's the Loyalty rebate, that wouldn't make any sense, as it would negate the whole purpose of the rebate.

I will contact some dealers on Monday and try to find a straight shooter salesperson.

I do see some base manual i's around at a few dealers.
    I think you'll find that those two rebates can be used together with no problem and it's a legit $2500 off if you fit the bill. Other offers are usually things like special financing and such.
    Well, I see a $15,400 manual 6i in my future then, because I've located a car at a specific dealer.

I will see whether I can close the deal with them tomorrow.

If not, no big deal, I don't need a new car, which puts me in a great negotiating position.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    See lots of ads for Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan for the 15000-16000s. (approx 22000msrp) Pontiac G6 for 13-14000's. Chev Malibu for 15000-16000s (no lease rebate).

15000's should be a useful target to shoot for the 22k msrp auto m6. Get 10 dealers in the mix via email last week or so of the month and see what you can hash out.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • bama34bama34 Member Posts: 1
    getting quotes of invoice-20596- for MSRP 22020.Rebates are 2000 or 1000 w/2.9 financing, 1000 loyalty,500 Memorial Day and 500 Preferred Buyer card.
    $16596 + tax and title. Sound good?
  • pencho5pencho5 Member Posts: 5
    Bama34,
    Very, very nice price! So far my best offer for the same car is $17,400 but it looks like they try to put more on the taxes then they should so I requested itemized taxes, fees, license. If I take the 0.0% / 36 months with $4,000 down they ask for about $442 a month. Where are you located? I'm in LA.
    I don't have the preferred buyer card. I logged in in at mazdausa.com but it didn't gave it to me. I'll be calling tomorrow for it, but I suspect it will not be here before Monday. How did you get yours?
    I can buy auto Sport AT for $16,188 plus TTL. Price includes documentation fee and all other B.S. fees.

OTD is $17,159.

Different dealership has manual Sport i SV for $15,400 plus TTL.

This INCLUDES $1,000 loyalty rebate - I currently have an '05 Mazda.
    Mikemartin, where is that? Some how it looks too low to me. Will you be using the $500 coupon from mazda? If yes I doubt that the dealer will give you lower price unless you're paying cash or have good friend at the dealership. Here around LA I got only up to $17,200 price before tax and fees. Unfortunately I wasn't being able to get the preferred buyer card.
    Hopefully this will help somebody to get better price on the car he wants. I got my mazda6 i Sport and the price is as following: MSRP $22,120 ( includes $670 delivery and $100 CA emissions). My internet price was 19,800. On that price I get $2,500 discount ($1000 + 0,0% for 36 months current mazda6 discount, $1000 loyalty, $500 Mazda preferred buyer coupon- got it in the last minute). On top of that is about $1,800 tax + $330 registration + $60 docprep + $30 electronic filling. This is the best I could get in about a week of exchanging ~70 emails with the different dealers around here.
    I got some better offers with lower initial prices but when I did ask for the final monthly payment it turned out that the dealer had put more fees in taxes and this was easily visible since I was doing the 36/0.0% financing and the math was very simple