Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra 2000

mike45mike45 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Anybody bought one yet?

Comments

• neckneck Member Posts: 1
    I drove one. 4x4 sr5 V8 the only complaints I have are rear seat comfort and styling. The handling, ride and acceleration were excellent.
    I think toyotas quality makes up for any of the complaints I have. If only it looked like a dodge
  • warrendwarrend Member Posts: 1
    Drove a 4x2 SR5, had to spread my legs a little in the back but man was it quiet up front. Almost unreal to have the radio clearly audible, down low, and be able to carry on a conversation at the same time. I want a 4x4, anybody know how available Tundra's are going to be? The dealer I talked to gave me some rigamarole about only being allowed to have one and then priced the SR5 4x4 at $28.5K, about a grand higher than Toyota's MSRP for the Limited.
  • tsinghtsingh Member Posts: 1
    Will someone PLEASE tell me when the V6 Tundra 4
    doors are coming out. I'm tired of having to move
    over for my kids to get in the back of my T-100.
  • RichRich Member Posts: 128
    warrend,
    A little patience! The Toyota factory in Indiana has optimistic over capacity. Deep discounts and rebates should abound in 6-9 months.
    Rich
  • pjohnsonpjohnson Member Posts: 2
    Rich,
    Where do you get your information re: optimistic about production. The only dealers in my area that have Tundra on their lot are asking MSRP. I spoke to one yesterday who said he was discounting 1,500 to 2,000 off MSRP, has sold 5 and has NONE on his lot with 5 more presold. I hope your right because I'm not about to pay MSRP.
  • batadbatad Member Posts: 8
    Anyone know why the 1 mpg difference in the V8 -vs- V6? I figure there would be a significant difference! Also, can anyone put into perspective and in layman's terms the significance between Toyota's horsepower in the V6 -vs- the V8 ie. how much more can one pull or carry over the other?
  • flemerflemer Member Posts: 1
    Is their any such thing as a Toyota fleetdealer? If so how do I contact them.
  • mfinntnmfinntn Member Posts: 4
    I ordered an SR5 V8 four weeks ago. I want anti-lock brakes (an option!) and none of the ones shipped to the dealers in my area have them. At the time I ordered (no discount off MSRP) they said 6-7 weeks. This week they called me to tell me that there will be no anti-lock brake Tundras built til mid July; I'll have to wait to late July for mine.
  • greksagreksa Member Posts: 1
    I have a T-100 and I test drove a Tundra.

Toyota Blew it by not really increasing the size of the cab. The V-8 is nice, but this truck is offered at a steep price for what you get.

Try a Chevy Silverado for more interior space and options for less.
  • mikemurphy1mikemurphy1 Member Posts: 2
    I drove a Tundra today and was very impressed. Rear seat room is limited to kids. Power, ride, and handling were very good. I'm in the market for an extended cab truck to replace my '91 Chevy extended cab. I've driven the Chevy, GMC, Dodge, and Ford, and was leaning toward the Ford until I drove the Tundra. Tundra was 27K MSRP and the dealer offered no discount. About 2-4K more than the other I looked at, but probably worth the $
  • dogsleddogsled Member Posts: 1
    to me the GMC is a better buy and with the 255hp engine has more power and is quoted at 15-20 miles per gallon. Even with the short bed there is more room in the cabin. What do you think?
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    the tundra 2wd xcab limited I saw on a dealers lot was priced a ridiculous $29,500 + ! That included a few thousand dollars in typical toyota dealer add ons, some worthless, mostly wheels and tire upgrade.

I saw the first Tundra on the street this week. A Black 4x4....looked pretty good, but not $30,000 plus good. Quality and resale matter, but no way is it worth the nearly $10,000 premium. Especially for a smaller truck.
  • stevostevo Member Posts: 37
    Was waiting for the Tundra to come out after I saw the pre-production photos of the 4x4. The production model does not look quite as nice. I like Toyotas (have a '98 Sienna van) but the price of the Tundra on my dealer's lot was higher than the equivalent full size Ford/Chevy/Dodge and the truck is smaller. I'm sure that it drives nice and is quiet but I'm still a little disappointed.
  • hall2hall2 Member Posts: 40
    I requested a quote using the Autobytel.
    A dealer called me and told me that the base price for the Tundra SR5 V8 4WD Access Cab is not available in this region. It is available with Option:AL, CK, DZ, and LF for the price of MRSP approx. $28K. I need to find a base Tundra SR5 V8 4WD Access Cab up to $25K, can any direct me to one?
  • kirilnkiriln Member Posts: 5
    Does somebody know anything about the Off Road Package offered in the specs? The dealers I talked to said not to expect it in the near future. The guys from Toyota customer service said it is available at the present moment.
    Any ideas?
  • tbaiertbaier Member Posts: 2
    I saw 2 with ABS locally yesterday. I also undersand that there will be virtually no V6's or longbeds built. Toyota expects 90-95% of Tundras to be V8 access cabs.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    The fact that you can easily fit the tundra in the garage and the sierra would be a tight squeeze is proof of the fact that the tundra is in fact more a mid size truck than a full size truck. This truck compares more favorably with the dakota.
  • joestapletonjoestapleton Member Posts: 15
    I totally agree with your statements on the Tundra. The interior seems smaller then my T-100 x cab. the truck does seem like a quality vehicle though and I think the milage will be close to my t-100. Mixed highway/city 19.5. joe s
  • goldgold Member Posts: 2
    I have seen the new toyota tundra and i love.I was wondering if this is the first year for there motors.And if anyone one knows how reliable they are.And is cusomer service anygood.
  • jcm1jcm1 Member Posts: 48
    Has anyone seen any limited access cabs out there?
    I need one bad...before my wife changes her mind
  • cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    I purchased my Tundra SR5 V8 4x4 on June 3. It is a great truck. I know that the size is more in line with the Dakota, but since my other choice was the Dakota and I did not want a larger truck such as the F150 that was fine with me.

The gas mileage is getting better with each tankful. The first tank was 15 mpg the second was 17.75 mpg. That is combination of city and highway driving with probably 70% city.

The engine/transmission is incredible. It has excellent pickup and you cannot even feel the transmission shift. I really enjoy driving it.

I was able to negotiate the price off of MSRP. Although most dealers in my area, Wash DC metro area (and I went to many throughout Maryland) did not want to even discuss discount. I got about $1500 off list. I also got a very nice price for my trade, better than I expected. So combined discount/trade-in price, I was pleased.
  • fanggfangg Member Posts: 11
    I tested drove the Tundra V8 (again) last weekend and I think I'm gonna get one sometime soon. Really excellent machine. Talked with the dealer for about 15 minutes on ordering a Limited 4*2 and the best they can do is $800 under MSRP. Since they were the first dealer I ever talked number with on a Tundra, I left with hope that I could find some better deal later with the same or another dealer.

One thing I forgot to do both time test driving was starting the truck. Both times the salesmen started it and backed it up for me. I heard from other discussion forums that some people are complaining about that one has to crank some usually long time (about 5 secs) before the engine will start. The proud owners of the new Tundra trucks, did you ever have the same problem?
    Hey JS

The Tundra is made in America!!!! Hey I owned a American car once..and I still see parts of it on the roadside. I don't feel to bad buying a truck which is made in America and helps support a large number of American Families.
  • cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    I, too, once had the same idea to buy only American, even though the vehicle was made in the US by American workers. But I have come to realize that I will buy the best product I can afford, even if the profits go outside of the US. I am sure that some of you do not purchase, computers or other electronics that are strickly made in the US, probably because most are made elsewhere.

As far as my Tundra, I love it. I do have to let the starter crank alittle longer than I was used to on my other vehicles. But I am getting used to it now.
    Anybody have experience with child seats in the back of the Tundra or any extended cab truck??? I have a two and a half year old almost in a booster seat. I Want to buy a Tundra but have to feel safe about the seat. Is the vertical position of the back a problem?? Thanks for any input.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    The Tundra is assembled in the USA, but the parts are made elsewhere. Not saying this is bad...

I think it looks better in person than in the pictures, but doesn't look "full-size" though.

Now if they would just put on some 4 wheel ABS disc brakes, a slip sensing automatic 4WD system, a locking rear axle, a tow/haul transmission mode, a bigger back seat, and improve the EPA fuel mileage ratings, it would be as good as my '99 Silverado!
  • 1greg1greg Member Posts: 40
    The Tundra is available with 4 wheel ABS, slip sensing 4wd is not necessary, I don't beleive from what I have read that you have a locking rear differential, but a limited slip, and if you have a good transmission and engine, you don't need the tow/haul mode.

The guy that writes for the Rocky Mtn news car stuff said they got 18mpg in a 4wd v-8 access cab in "mixed Driving". I do beleive the Tundra v-8 will get higher than the posted markings, but since this engine hasn't been in a truck before they aren't sure.

Now I do agree with you on the back seat, but if I have the Chevy Xcab, it doesn't fit in my garage very well. Decision decisions...

Greg Hoppes
  • tbaiertbaier Member Posts: 2
    I'm a little perplexed by the folks who claim superiority for domestic makes because of the plethora of choices offered.

The only configuration I care about is the one that fits my needs and lifestyles. If I don't need/want extended towing capability, then offering that feature to me does not enhance the product.

Toyota continues to do a good job anticipating my needs, and apparently those of many other American drivers. I don't need multiple engine choices if the one offered is satisfactory.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I think before you buy a toyota you should shop and see what else you can get for your money they are way overpriced.In my area you can get a f150 5.4 triton 4door supercab 4 wheel drive shortbed flareside offroad package loaded for $23000.I think in the long run the ford is a better value and has a better resale.ford and chevy have been making trucks for years in the usa, you don't see to many old toyotas on the road and if you do the're all rusted.I just invested 30000 in a ford lightning and I know from doing research it will hold its value and because you cant get them anymore up here in Boston I could sell it tomorrow for a profit how many vehicles can you do that with.
    Greg, I agree with you actually. My point however, is that before you lay claim to superiority, you have to substantiate it.

I'm remiss for not pointing out that 4 wheel ABS is an option on Tundra. However, I'm right to point out the Tundra drivetrain is not superior, for the obvious reasons they don't offer advanced technologies like a tow/haul mode, slip sensing 4WD system, limited slip differential, nor do they match the Silverado tow rating, or get the Silverado EPA mileage for city/highway even in a lighter truck.

You are entitled to your perception that the Tundra can better those EPA mileage ratings, but one has to ask then, what problem does the truck have on the treadmill that would create the error, since it's good enough to zero its emissions? Don't the other competitors have to run the same test?

As Chris Berman says, "That's why they play the game!"
    Very interesting Reading! I have owned Ford's, Chevy's and finally Toyota's. Some comments from experience: My Toyota's consistantly beat the EPA mileage figures by approx. 2MPG while I notice the "American" vehicles usually are 2MPG BELOW the EPA ratings. I am not talking Best mileage but Average gas mileage. When I bought my T-100 X Cab in 1995 my friends bought a 1995 Ford 150 and a Jeep Cherokee 4 liter. The ford had a the dash board crack and he put a Made in America sticker over it. The Jeep with 55K miles in it needed a Full paint job because the paint wore thin. Yes Toyota recalled my T-100 for a new Head gasket several months ago and gave me a rental car for a day.MY engine was running fine. I tow a 5000lb Wellcraft boat and do not baby the truck. With 66k for miles and NO problems and fuel milage approx 20 mpg mixed- 70% hwy and 30% city not towing and 13.5 mpg when towing over the mountains to Seattle at 66 miles per hour I am very pleased with this truck. EPA says 18 hwy and 16 city. Tundra here I come but I will not pay list.
    The most important thing for me that the Chevy is missing is the 4th door on the XCAB. Now I know you have a regular cab long bed, but the GM engineers must have had their heads in the sand the day they decided not to add the 4th door. I think the EPA estimates are just that, an estimate. I will be surprised if that by the 2001 model years that the mileage numbers aren't updated and increased. But you can harang me in a year if I am wrong. I think the epa estimate is based on the Landcruiser which is substantially heavier.

barlitz-What do you do when it snows? I don't think that lightning can even get out of the door when you have 6 inches of snow on the ground. It would be like trying to drive a rear wheel drive sports car in the winter. I am not sold on the triton engines. I think the new Chevy and Toyota engines are a better choice. I think they need to advance their technology and increase HP, torque and mileage.

Greg Hoppes
    Because supposedly, that's what Ford and Jeep, Toyota and others have done by using the more complex overhead camshafts, multi-valves arrangement.

I think what GM has proved is that a good flowing, efficient head design combined with simpler pushrod technology reduces the parts count, lowers the engine height, and gives equally good results.

And although I don't know how the EPA conducts its fuel mileage tests, I suspect they are sophisticated enough in their methods to do better than using a Landcruiser as a substitute for a Tundra. Maybe Al Gore knows the answer. Afterall, he invented the internet.
  • larrymalarryma Member Posts: 1
    I'm a painting contractor that hauls fairly heavy loads in the bed also on occasion 4x8 sheets of dry wall, does anybody know if the tundra can take full sheets with the gate closed? I would also like a bed liner and top, are they avalible?
    I think that since Chevy has been using that engine design for such a long time, they did a great job of making it better. I think since Toyota has used overhead cam engines for so long that they do that best. I do agree they are a more complicated engine, but I think they understand that and know what to do to make it solid. (except that headgasket problem). I think Dodge/Jeep and Ford are still deciding which way to go but they understand the need to improve and the new smog ratings and cafe requirements are making them look at their engines. I definitely think Dodge has fallen behind in the engine race with the 5.2l and 5.9l. That doesn't mean they are bad, just not as efficient as they could be. I think the public is demanding more efficient engines since so many people are driving trucks as personal use vehicles.

Greg Hoppes
    Greg

I also have a 96 ranger supercab 4X4 which is excellent in the snow.The reason I bought the lightning is for the performance and the value compare any other sports car out there and match it to what the lightning has to offer and I got a steal plus I can tow a boat or jet skis no sports car can do that.take a look at last months popular mechanics the lightning is the 13 fastest production vehicle made including lotus, porsche vette,camaro and it outweighs all those vehicles by at least 1200lbs.I'm not saying the lightning is the best thing in the world and in 2 or 5 years they'll always be something else out there,but there's something about a mean pickup that draws attention.check out edmunds most wanted list and see whats at the top,anyways good luck.
    one more thing when I purchase vehicles or anything for that matter I always do my research check out consumer reports Toyota is always at the bottom and ford is always at the top as far as ratings and customer satisfaction and if they are so good why are always changing things
  • framehogframehog Member Posts: 8
    As an employee of the Tundra plant in Indiana, I am decidedly biased. However, I can assure you that the Tundra Has a majority if American made parts. The sheet metal is stamped here. The frame is made by Dana of Owensboro, Ky. The Steel is provided by AK Steel of Rockport, IN. We do import the engines from Japan, but expect them to be made in West Virginia in the future.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    On the EPa mileage issue:

I read a publication by the at a dealership one day that was dedicated to comparing mileages of all makes and models. They have a set procedure they use for all vehicles: trucks, cars, anything they put they're stamp on.

Its been a couple of years, so I can't remember the specifics, but for the highway mileage, they drive them at 60 mph for 70 or so miles, and stop once or twice during that run. For the city mileage number, they run at 35 mph for some amount of miles and stop several more times.

Can't remember the exact procedure, but I assure you every vehicle gets the same test.
  • nativenative Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 4x4 V8 access cab. Will have it in possession on Friday 6/24. As I read thru all these comments they can really make you think either way. What I know, is that in Jan. of 96, I bought a brand new 96 Tacoma 4x4 xtra cab, I was driving 120 miles round trip to work, a year later a changed jobs and was diving 170 miles round trip to work, and the truck has been fantastic. It did blow the head gasket at 57000, but when I drove it into the service department they asked front right or back left (unbelievable) to not argue and just get it taken care of. They gave me a new T100 to drive while they fixed the problem.My brother bought a brand new ford the same year and has had it in and out of the shop numerous times over the same things and they cannot find the problems Or cannot fix them. I actually feel sorry for him. Maybe his case is just an exception. I was thinking about getting a T100 thinking it would be bigger for my family but was suprized to here they quit making them. When they came out with the access cab I was pretty excited. I took the family down to a dealership and had all the boys(4) climb in the back. I had read all the specs. ie; hieght and width and leg room and was expecting it to be a little snug but was amazed at how big it actually was. Just so I don't mislead you, my oldest is 7 and youngest is 2. The drive was also very good and was pleased with the way it handled. I have always loved 5 speeds but with wanting the bench seat in front it wasn't an option but figured a small price versus loosing the extra seating. I stand at 6'2 and felt a little snug in the back seat, but if you could get the guy in front to compromise some leg room it may not be that bad! Didn't think to try it at the time at the dealership. For me it was an easy sell (hopefully not to easy), price seemed the same across the board when comparing to all else that was out there with same features. I cringe at the price but believe it has been a good investment. Will keep you posted.
    Respectfully, pat
    I think when you say one of the "fastest", you mean to say one of the "quickest."

I haven't read the Popular Mechanics test, but in the past they always seem to have optimistic numbers for 1/4 mile ET.

In any case, I believe the top speed of the Lightning is around 140 mph. Fast, to be sure, but not anywhere near the fastest 13. Camaros/Firebirds are around 160, Vette around 175, Viper up there too.

Bottom line, it's a fun vehicle no doubt. It may or may not have a good resale value. This depends on the condition. Many see far too much abuse, and die prematurely. The GMC Scyclone and Buick Grand National had good resale at first, then suddenly they're scrap. Blown engines don't usually survive in the real world jungle.
    you're right I did mean quickest it does the 1/4 mile in 13.62.it also does 0 to 100 and back to 0 in 22 seconds.I didn't buy my lightning as a primary vehicle I was in the market for a performance vehicle and have always been a pickup man.I've had my lightning for about 6 weeks and I've put 700 miles on it,I don't beat it I have a cover that it sleeps under and I drive it on weekends it has a girlfriend that I call 9volt shes a 4wheel drive subaru that I get around in.I heard svt is coming out with a V10 supercharged monster next year and its supposed to hold no prisoners just like the cobra r 2 seater next year
    ,anyways its a fun truck to drive it comes loaded if you price any 2 wheel drive pickup with the options the lightning has and a decent size engine it's gonna cost in the 20000's anyways,so why not have a little fun you only live once.
    Enjoy your truck!
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    geez, v10 in a small pickup. for the sake of all of us prudent drivers who have to share the road, I hope they don't make that...

of course, it was rumored for a long time that SVT would put a 400 hp DOHC 5.4 in the GT, and they never did.
    One more thing on EPA milages. Did you realize that all vehicles are NOT tested by the EPA. They test select vehicles and then use the data to estimate mileage figures from calculations of weight, horsepower, class of vehicle, etc. It is not the true tested gas mileage and that is why they say they are only approximations and your milage will vary.
  • baseball3baseball3 Member Posts: 1
    Please give me 3 good reasons to purchase a Tundra 2000 instead of F150, Sierra or any other full size pick-up. I've just started looking and the Tundra sure looks the best-but I need input from Tundra owners or at least others who have driven one. Thanks.
    Uh huh.

They probably use the same imprecise method in arriving at "zero emissions" certification for the Tundra.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    If you get the regular cab, you can carry 4x8s flat on the floor, and with the tailgate closed.

Bob
  • mfinntnmfinntn Member Posts: 4
    I'm buying my first Toyota )or Japanese car for that matter), a Tundra.
    I have always stuck with the US makers even though the UAW behaves like jerks (going on strike when they already make more than most of the guys who drive their vehicles).
    The clincher for me was the way Toyota stood behind the 1990 pickup my son had. He bought it in 1992 and got it at a good price because had been wrecked. No problems except that the head gasket went about 3 years ago. When he bought a new Solera recently he mentioned this to the salesman. Salesman said send in receipt and Toyota may pay because they recnized it as a flaw. He did and the letter he got from Toyota apologized for causing him the problem and sent him reimbursement plus interest from the date of the repair.
    My loyalty to Ford and GM has not been rewarded similarly, so I'm going to try the Tundra.
    I am interested in hearing from anyone who has purchased a Tundra Access Cab. Are there many out there with Anti-Lock brakes? How well does that Foot emergency brake pedal work and is it inconvenient to use? How is your fuel milage after break in (approx 3000 mi.)? And finally what discounts if any did you get off MSRP? I am planning on purchasing one with Anti-Lock brakes in the future if the price and trade in is right for my 1995 T-100. Thanks, Joe.
This discussion has been closed.