Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Problems

Comments

• dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    It's really hard to tell what the expected repair rate is from reading these forums. You're looking at three people who have wanted a new vehicle or a full refund. In reading the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna threads, I am sure I've seen at least that many very serious complaints for those -- and those are brands with much better reputations for quality. I'm also guessing that, as relatively low as the sales volume is for GMC, it probably still exceeds that of those two minivans.

I can tell you that I was perusing the reliability ratings for all of these vehicles in the new Consumer Report Buying Guide that arrived just yesterday. The Yukon XL/Denali/Suburban and the Yukon/Tahoe/Denali product lines rated within one-half rating on one item (I forget which one) of the best Honda has to offer (Accord). The aging results did not fall off as badly as you might expect either.

In fact, as I skimmed through the ratings of all the vehicles listed in the CRBG, I was surprised that there were few, if any, obvious "losers" in the reliability race. Some were better, of course, but all were surprisingly good. All the vehicles we are talking about were well above average.

I think that the dealer where you go for service will have more to do with the relative pleasentness/horridness of your buying experience.

If you're in the North Dallas area, I think I'd recommend Ewing Buick Pontiac GMC in Plano. They are still family owned and seem like they may actually care about their clients (they have to, I think, because the average age of their customers falls safely within the AARP range and the expectation of service is consequently high).

You might still get a lemon, but a dealership with a long view that extends back into the Service Department will go a long way to soften that blow as well.

Good luck and happy motoring.
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    A decent dealer would have shaken those problems out of a new rig before letting anyone drive it. I'd question the competence of their people that prep the vehicles after delivery. I can't speak to the newest years but my 2001 D (first year for this new model) has run over 40k with nary a nit to pick. I have friends and neighbors that have had many more problems with their Expeditions, Navigators and Sequoias.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    Is absolutely key to a good ownership experience. If the dealer is not making the commitment to the infrastructure (diagnostic computers, excellence in service technician competence, management support, etc.) necessary for servicing the vehicles they sell, you will have a nightmare if your vehicle requires service. I would almost advocate spending more time determining how the dealer's service department fares than attempting to get the absolute lowest price possible.
  • thehamtheham Member Posts: 20
    yes i agree. To some point you should be able to expect a new car off the assembly line to only have minor problems that can be easily fixed. However from what I am reading the transmission clunking on the denali is definetely a recognized problem by GMC with a TSB on it but they are trying to explain it as normal. That is where this really sucks. I took the car into today and am driving a 4 year old toyota coralla that is just nasty, dirty and smells really bad. But at least the coralla's transmission does not clunk into gear. LOL. What are my impending options if they wont fix the clunk. I see them as:

1) Arbitration: you know this will be a pain but probably the best way to start.
    2) Washington State Lemon Law relief. However if they refuse to fix the problem the lemon law say they have 4 attempts to fix a problem or in the shop for i think 30 days or more. So if they refuse to fix how can i take it back to allow them to fix it 4 times.
    3) Just deal with a crappy car until I can sell it. and never buy a GMC again and advise everyone everywhere not to buy a GM or go to the dealer I went to.

None of those look promising. I gues I have to wait and see what happens.

I drove to Idaho to get a good deal on the car too. So not much help will come from my dealer. They should not have let this car off the lot. But in the auto industry someone has to take the hit adn its always the consumer.
    For the case of a problem that is known and reproducable. For example a transmission clunk like mine. Where anyone who drives the car and feels the clunk and thinks they just ran over something or got hit from behind. It is extremely obvious to all that there is no way a car manufacturer sat down with a team of engineers and said lets design a clunk into our transmissions. Therefore the problem must be abnormal. However GM knows of the problem and has no fix for it so they tell service shops its normal through a TSB explanation. Then the service shops tell the consumer its normal and refuse to work on the vehicle. What actions can you take? If they refuse work then you will never satisfy the lemon law. Then its a game of defining normalcy in a vehicle between you and the manufacturer. Are there certain laws that force a manufacturer to try to fix a consumer problem even though they wont recognize the problem. Anyone have any experience with this.

thanks
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    I have an 01 Denali XL and am pleased with the vehicle (I have 45K on it). The panel fit is definitely not what it should be.
    Please understand that I am in NO way attempting to give legal advice; I am merely exchanging information. Any questions should be referred to an attorney that is qualified to practice law in your state of residence.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, there appears to be a larger problem with Lemon Law coverage if you bought the truck from a dealer that is located out of your state of residence. As a general rule, Lemon Law coverage applies in the state in which you purchased the vehicle.

If you purchased the truck from a dealer that is located in your state of residence, then the fact that there were four refusals to acknowledge a problem may require an independent assessment of the problem, such as through a binding arbitration. You could take the truck to four separate dealers and ask each one to repair the clunking. You will have the initial paperwork that proves you attempted to get the truck repaired and the dealer refused to repair the truck. Depending on the lemon law of your state, that should provide the ability to trigger a lemon law proceeding. The fact that a TSB exists to explain away the clunking may not cut it with the Judge/Arbitrator - clunking is not normal behavior.
    "clunking is not normal behavior."

Except in "clunkers" which is not what GMC purports to sell! ;-)
    I love the disclaimer. I appreciate your advice though and realize you are not giving legal advice.

I did some research and I am not covered under Washington State lemon law which states that the vehicle must be purchased and registered in washington. However I am covered under Idaho state lemon law which states the vehicle is purchased OR registered in Idaho. It justs mean if arbitration would fail and I had to go to court for lemon law, then I would have to drive to Idaho. Which I would gladly do If need be.

I got a call from the service shop last night. They said they are doing the 8oz weight thing for the vibration which is caused by the muffler. Hopefully that fixes the vibration and doesn't look bad. I am not sure where they hang the weight but it should not change the appearance of the vehicle. The transmission though I could tell he was avoiding and hesitant on describing. Basically said they are still seeing what they can do. It's not looking good. Although I am enjoying they aromatic smells coming from the seats in the loaner toyota. Nothing smells better than a loaner car thats a few years old.
    I thought this is interesting. If GM considers the clunking normal then by the nature of a clunk it is not a smooth ride. How can GM consider a clunking transmission normal and at the same time market the yukon/denali/escalade to consumers as a smooth riding and agile vehicle(which it states in every GMC brochure). Also here is a link to the transmission used in the denali.

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/hydra/app- s/4l60.htm

Click the about link:

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/hydra/abo- ut/index.htm

And you will see this quote:

"Hydra-Matic transmissions have a long history of providing smooth shifting, reliable, and fun to drive automatic transmissions.

If you're driving a GM vehicle, chances are you're driving with with a Hydra-Matic transmission! Hydra-Matic transmissions are expertly integrated into each vehicle application for low maintenance and care-free driving. Hydra-Matic provides leading Shift Smoothness for all types of vehicles and driving needs. "

Once again highlighting smoothness. Isn't this false advertising. If GM wants to propose a smooth riding marketing pitch to attract consumers than dictate that clunks are normal, I propose this should fall under a false advertising lawsuit. Anyone else with these 3 vehicle variants should speak up there is power in numbers. Make GM actually live up to their claims or eat their words.
    theham, you have a better shot at resolution from a lemon law perspective than pursuing a false advertising claim. I think that you should press the dealer on the transmission clunking - if they refuse to work on it, you are that much closer to being able to file a lemon law action. Just be sure to keep everything in writing. If a telephone call occurs, follow-up the call with a letter (keep a copy for your files) or e-mail to the caller that specifies what you understand the call was about and re-iterate your position that they have to fix a clunking transmission.
    I got a call from the service shop last night and they are keeping the car until tuesday at least. I figured it was for fixing the transmissino but no mention of that yet still. Instead they ordered a new seat heater module and put it in and the seat heaters still dont work. Turns out I have some mess of a wiring problem that the tech doenst know how to fix and is on the phone with GM to try to figure it out.

I think it would be hilarious if a TSB comes out that says its normal for heated seats not to work.

FYI: Oh and here's a really good site someone put up for lemon law info and the process to follow.

http://agmlemon.freeservers.com/

At this point I have now driven a toyota coralla longer than my denali.

I can laugh about it but it sucks
    Well I am driving my denali but still need to take it back to the shop for engine vibration. However you wouldn't believe the problems I had with where I bought it. I purchased the vehicle from Dave Smith Motors in kellogg idaho after someone recommended them to me. However it is a huge mistake to ever go to this dealer for a couple reasons. First off in most states you loose your state lemon law protection if not bought in your state. You can get the same deal at any car dealership if you are informed of invoice prices and walk out if they wont deal. Remember there are always other dealers. Also they are a huge volume dealer so once you buy a car from them they don't care about you at all. I have talked with them on the phone about my problem which you will read next and they basically say its not our problem.

now the real reason never to buy from dave smith motors. I got my denali back from the shop here in seattle and they fixed the seat heaters. However they said that Dave Smith Motors already tried to fix it but never did. Instead they broke a bunch of panels left parts panels and screws out of the vehicle and left everything unplugged. Bottom line they broke the vehicle and threw it back together so noone would notice then sold out the door. I have heard of people getting screwed on price by the dealer or getting a lemon because of manufacturing defects but never a new expensive vehicle being purposely proken by the dealer service shop then concealed and sold. Holy crap it doesnt get more fraudulent than this. The service shop in seattle called dave smith motors and they admitted to the problem and said they would pay the 50 bucks for extra missing parts that were not covered under GM warranty but said they would not pay the labor costs to the service shop. The seattle service shop showed me the clocked hours of the tech which just trying to figure out how to fix the wiring mess dave smith motors left and everything else to fix the seats was 8 hours. At anywhere from 50 to 90 an hour you can see that adds up to alot of money. In truth the seattle service shop could have tried to charge me because it was not warranty work but it was purposefull destruction of the vehicle that happened outside of manufacturing. But luckily they didnt and were really nice. So I will give a good grade Bob Bridge Pontiac GMC in Renton, WA.

To sum up if you go to dave smith motors and get screwed after reading this then it is your own fault.

Also they had to order a bunch of the exterior panels around the base of the seat because dave smith motors service shop scratched and cracked almost all of them. I didnt notice it until I got the vehicle back from the shop but it is bad. I am in shock that a dealer could have ever let this happen.
    I hope that you have filed a complaint with the regional GM reps... Even GM keeps a close watch on their dealers as they can't afford such ill publicity. I once filled out one of GM's surveys on a new vehicle I bought. A few minor complaints and GM had the factory QA manager send me a letter and gave me a call.
    You got above and beyond the call service from Bob Bridge Pontiac GMC. Anytime a service shop eats $400 to $560 on another dealer's screw-up, you have a conscientous shop. I would stick with them (Bob Bridge) like glue.
  • bigbadninbigbadnin Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2003 Yukon Denali 1 month ago and the exhaust makes a horrible popping noise once the motor heats up. You can hear the noise when driving, at stop lights, and for up to 30 minutes after turning the engine off. This vehicle is used for business purposes and my customers give me funny looks and ask about it. The truck had 900 miles on it when I 1st took it in for service and they claim it's "operating as designed". I have been back twice since then for other needed repairs and they refuse to work on or even look at the exhaust issue. The truck now has 1400 miles on it and has needed a grocery list of things fixed but the exhaust is still the most troubling and what I notice EVERY time I drive it. They referred me to GMC Customer Service which was a joke and then to the BBB Autoline which I am waiting to hear back from. You kind of expect a little more when spending 50K on a truck. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like a fuel mixture problem to me. Has the vehicle been sniffed after it warms up? Did it throw any codes from a scan?
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Might be this:

Exhaust/Muffler Heat Shield Rattle, Popping Noise Under Vehicle (Install Heat Shield Retaining Straps On Muffler) #02-06-05-005B - (04/16/2003)
    Exhaust/Muffler Heat Shield Rattle, Popping Noise Under Vehicle (Install Heat Shield Retaining Straps On Muffler)

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2000-2003 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

2000-2003 GMC Denali, Denali XL, Sierra, Yukon XL

2003 HUMMER H2

with 5.3L or 6.0L Gas Engine (VINs T, N, U -- RPOs LM7, LQ9, LQ4)

Except 1500 Series Models

This bulletin is being revised to add RPO LQ4 to the Models information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin 02-06-05-005A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a rattle/popping noise from under the vehicle.

Cause
    The separation of the muffler heat shield from the muffler may cause a rattle under the vehicle.

Correction
    Install two heat shield retaining straps, P/N 15164621, to the muffler and muffler heat shield. Follow the service procedure below to correct this concern.

Raise and support the vehicle.
    Install a retaining strap, P/N 15164621, around the front of the muffler and muffler heat shield as shown above.
    Pull the retaining strap tight with one hand and tighten the Allen head screw with the other hand.
    Tighten the Allen head screw on the retaining strap to 13.5 N·m (119 lb in).
    Repeat steps 2 and 3 on the rear of the muffler.
    Lower the vehicle.

Parts Information
    Part Number * Description * Qty

15164621 * Strap Asm-Exhaust Muffler Heat Shield * 2

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
  • bigbadninbigbadnin Member Posts: 5
    The only problem is that GM and the dealer are standing behind the idea that it is a normal sound. The heat shield has been blamed for the problem as you wrote but with no one taking reponsibilty to fix it I have no other recourse. They will even admit that some do it more than others and most don't do it at all but this Yukon's noises are really bad! They are also claiming that GM has been working on a fix since 1999 and still don't have one. They can have it back for all I care. This is just one of too many problems for this truck and I don't have the energy to fight for them to work on it all the time. Time is money and this is already costing me a fortune.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Try approaching another dealer with the TSB #. The cost of installing the straps, both parts and labor, is peanuts.
  • bobbio56bobbio56 Member Posts: 37
    it always amazes me that the us auto makers advertise what they never have... a good, safe, reliable vehicle...thank to all...the denali has come off my list of SUV's to buy, lincoln came off last week....thanks again....
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Bobbio56, OK what else are you now looking at?

Maybe the Toyota Land Cruiser with an impeccable reputation? The TLC is probably the best but the opening bid is 60K and replacing the starter (see a post on the Land Cruiser board) can cost 1K for just a rebuilt unit. (I think Pep Boys would have a GM starter for $39; alternators are less.)

Please let us know.
    valid point...i am looking at them all and frankly a LC @ 60k does less for me as you get toyota service at a lexus price...if i look at denali, lx, armada/qx56, I was thinking last night...for @ 15k to 20k diff. (i get a big discount at GMC) i can do alot with that money, even if it means renting loaners if the denali is in the shop....so as strange as this sounds to me, i am getting down to denali or lx...about 20k diff. for me...and that's something to think on...i love the way the denali looks and rides...it is not close to the lux of lx, however it isn't that far off....let me know your thoughts...thanks!
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Bobbio56, at your price of 40K the Denali despite its shortcomings looks good. But at 46K, the price most folks buy them for, maybe not. At 46K you are now 9K over a loaded Armada and closing in fast on a TLC. For some reason, 45-46K seems to be a lot more serious money than 40K. Maybe it is even a life style threshold. At 45-46K the German sedans come on the horizon like an E Class 4matic or a well equipped 5 Series. Or maybe you take a pass on spending 46K and scale back to a Tahoe LT for 34K. Then you can rent a house on Nantucket or Block Island for July with the 12K you saved.

Incidentally, I agree with you that paying Lexus-like money for a TLC and then putting up with the Japanese version of Chevrolet service is not a pleasant prospect.
    thank again for the input...i am going to further frustrate myself this weekend and read more about all of them and gfo into a few dealers...within 10 miles of my house we have literally every dealer there is...as for BI or tucket...sorry been doing the Hamptons since I was born....I will report back.....
  • alan214alan214 Member Posts: 2
    In response to " Yukon Denali Exhaust Noise by bigbadnin", I have an '03 Escalade that does the same thing. It started after about 500 miles and has gotten steadily worse. It's very embarassing as well as irritating as I, like you, spent over 50K for a vehicle that I am becoming very unhappy with. It appears there's no quick fix. I plan to ask my service advisor about the TSB 02-06-05-005B and see if that applies and if so, whether it resolves the issue.
    This was resolved in my Denali for about 25K miles by replacing the muffler. Now there is a new procedure they are going to try (the noise came back).
    If you are talking about the pops, snaps, clinks, etc. that you hear coming from under the vehicle after you stop, then they are most likely from the catalytic converter as the metal cools down and contracts. Catalytic converters run very, very hot (that's how they burn up those nasty exhaust emissions) and the metal in and around them (there will be heat shields to protect nearby components and to help prevent starting fires under the vehicle) expands with the heat as physics dictates. When cooling, that expansion turns to contraction in a not-entirely-even manner, resulting in the noises.

It is nothing to be concerned about, is difficult (if not impossible) to avoid, and is probably simply more noticeable on this vehicle because it sits up so high that the sounds escape from underneath with far more clarity than from lower-slung vehicles.
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    Maybe so, but at least on my '03 YXL it doesn't explain why for the first 8 months or so the muffler and/or cat hardly ever popped but now has popped with regularity over the last 4 months--sometimes the popping noise will go on for five minutes or more before subsiding. I'll agree that it's probably nothing to be overly concerned about, but it shouldn't have to occur nevertheless--otherwise we'd hear about it for just about every full-sized SUV, if not every single vehicle. Heck, I owned a '99 Tahoe and the exhaust system never popped like my YXL did/does.
  • alvesalves Member Posts: 1
    I bought a brand new Denali on 01, and it has 99k miles on it now. All through the last few years I have had a lot of problems with it, some of them rack & pinion/steering column bent, front differential failure, rear brake grinding noise (numerious times), (they actually blamed me saying that I did not know how to use the brakes) head rests and other trim coming apart, etc and had to fight tooth & nail to get the dealer to get the issues fixed. However, I have GMC major gaurd gaurantee till 100K. Couple of weeks ago I noticed a grinding sound when the steering is turned either to the extreme left or extreme right, and in motion (like driving in circles). The happens only when the engine is warm and the vehicle is driven more that 22 miles or so. The dealer ship couldn't diagnose the problem. All they could suggest is change the transfer box oil, the front differrntial oil, some other oils etc. I have already spent about $640 of my own money and they have not found the problem.
    Although I am supposed to be covered by the GM Major Gaurd, with a $100 detuctable I am expected to spend $1000 before they find a problem. What is the point of having warranty till 100k? They say that grinding noise could be wear and tear and will not be covered if that is the case. If any body know about this please respond.
    Thanks

Remember, buyer beware. As for me this is the last time I would buy any GM product. I think it is not worth the trouble & aggravation.
  • waitingonyukonwaitingonyukon Member Posts: 28
    Although we didn't notice any noise, last week the power steering went out on my 2001 Denali with around 55k miles on it. I opened the hood and there was fluid sprayed all over. Turns out the line froze and the pump kept pumping causing the line to fly off. Used Onstar and they came and got it. The tow and repairs were covered under some "good will warranty". I don't know if this is their way of saying this is a known issue, but I wasn't complaining. They replaced the line and put in a cold climate power steering fluid.
    Alves, if your service department is telling you that wear and tear is not covered, they should be directed to the Wear and Tear Exclusion section of your policy. The wear and tear exclusion applies only to specific items - if the item that has worn out is NOT on the excluded list, then it is covered. If your service department can not understand that language, then you might want to consider another dealer that is not language-challenged.

Regarding your attempts to identify the grinding noise, depending on your state's warranty laws, you may have an extension of coverage as long as the problem was first identified while the vehicel was in warranty coverage. Keep copies of the service department work orders that show the truck was brought in for the condition prior to the warranty period expiration.
  • yukonkingyukonking Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 yukon i have put three fuel pump in 8 month i never let it get under a 1/4 tank and it is usaley after i put gas in it it just goes out with no warning and also the day time runing lights wont come on any help would be great thanks
  • palaltpalalt Member Posts: 25
    Reading all these comments, I see some pretty serious problems resulting in arbitration, BBB involvement, etc. I would expect these types of message boards to be primarily unhappy owners, but my topic of interest is not really present after reading 5 pages of conversation.

I own a 99 Silverado Ext Cab 4X4 with 99K miles which has been an awesome truck. I'm thinking of trading to an 03 Denali Ext Cab 4X4, used with 20K. I'm concerned with the Quadrasteer option and the fact that the Denali is Full Time AWD. I know with the 6.0 Litre engine, requiring Premium Gas, it's an added operation expense but my main concern is learning of problems with what would obviously be an expensive Quadrasteer repair, once the truck is off Warranty. This 03 Denali is priced well under $30K so I'm pretty excited about the deal. I usually puy 1 year old trucks to let someone else take the initial depreciation hit, which in this case sounds like at least $10K. Anyone have any history of the Quadrasteer reliability???
    palalt, how do you get to the conclusion that the 6.0 liter engine in the Denali requires premium gas? The owners manual specifies 87 octane unleaded. I personally use 89 octane mid-grade for the higher detergent content. I have never had any problems with pinging in either my 2001 or my current 2003 Denalis.
    Denalis use regular gas. I have had no trouble with the full time all wheel drive on my 2001 Denali XL. I do not have quadrasteer (wish I did). It should improve the handling of the truck. I have not heard of any reliability problems with quadrasteer.
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    Has this vehicle been wrecked/flooded/salvaged title? That price is extremely low. I would run a carfax report, have a reputable body shop look at it and if it comes clean - buy it!! With the money saved, get a 100k mile GM extended warranty to cover longer-term quadrasteer issues and enjoy.
  • palaltpalalt Member Posts: 25
    Thanks to you all for such quick input to my question. I guess it was my error and assumption that the 6.0Litre would require premium. Personal friends work at this Pontiac/GMC dealer and can vouch for this 03 Denali Pickup. I guess the original owner traded for an 04 Denali XL for the interior space. I appreciate the extended warranty suggestion. The truck is $27K so adding approximately $1K for an extended warranty sounds like a good investment. Then I can put to rest my AWD & Quadrasteer concerns. Thanks Guys!!
  • gmanzx3gmanzx3 Member Posts: 37
    I say buy the Denali. That way your son can drive it to Indy next week!
  • freduarfreduar Member Posts: 7
    My Denali's suspension or shocks seem very soft and the vehicle seems quite unstable in corners and at speeds higher than 65 MPH. I drive from No Cal to So Cal on I-5 where speeds sometimes get up to 75-80 MPH and where the road dips or has bumps the Denali feels uncontrollable and dangerous. The same is true at lower speeds on winding roads up in the Sierras. Has anyone else had my experience? I've taken my car into service now 4 times and the only remedy the service people have is to inflate then uninflate my tires. I've about had it with GMC and the Denali.
    I suspect that there is something wrong with the autoride as I had the opposite experience in my 2001 Denali. It was very stable at high speeds(75+ mph) and on windy roads I preferred it over my wife's Volvo XC70.
    Try a different dealer. (they all have to honor the warranty)
    I initially took it into Dealer who with a grinding sound in the steering at low speeds found the ride "soft" and rotated the tires. The grinding sound remained and the 2nd dealer's technician found the ride soft, didn't hear any grinding sound in the steering wheel. I was resigned to a poor ride when a friend drove it and insisted there was a serious problem and I not give up on the car or GM. So I took it back and played the phone message to the dealer who said he contacted GM but there was nothing to be done with the computer assisted steering, suspension, or shocks; that the tires were over inflated (although the tires rated between 34-44 psi); and grinding was normal. Took it back to the 1st dealer who's tech contacted GM with the same response that the ride was normal for the Denali. Everyone who drives or rides in this vehicle except for GM dealers and technicians agree there is something seriously amiss with the handling of the vehicle. No technician has indicated any testing (other than a short road ride) of the computer, the shocks, or the suspension has been/can be done. They say I have a normal vehicle. If this is the case, then I wouldn't want or recommend a Denali. Like I said, I've just about had it. If I do any after-market attempt at a fix I know they will deny the warranty. I guess I'll just dump it and try a foreign car because they seem to have a better reputation these days.
    Have you tried test driving another Denali from stock and comparing it?
    I have not. However, a friend of mine has a Denali like mine, (same year, model, and even color) and I've explained my experience to him, and he indicated his ride was firm and firmed up in corners, etc. If mine is typical of the Denali ride, I would think there must be a lot of problematical vehicles on the road. That being said, I think I will take your suggestion and ask if he will switch vehicles with me for comparison (he rides in mine and I ride in his).
    If the difference in the ride is so pronounced, you may probably do well in a Lemon Law action. If you purchased your Denali in California, you have probably got a better than 50-50 chance of prevailing on a Lemon Law action. As I have stated in previous posts regarding Lemon Laws, I am NOT giving legal advice; only exchanging information.

If you do go the Lemon Law route, find a stretch of highway near where the hearing will be held that causes the instability. Take the referee/examiner/whatever they call themselves along for a ride so they can experience the instability first-hand. First-hand experience usually gets a visceral response from the examiner. (Especially if there is another Denali that can be driven as a reference vehicle....)
    Thank you guys who responded to my concerns. It appears that the local dealer (good guy) found that my suspension was "out of geometry". Thankfully GMC appears to be stepping up to the plate and will replace the vehicle. Any advice regarding what GMC should do to remedy my problem? I've lived with this problem for approximately a year.
    What more are you looking for if they replace the vehicle? Best case, in a Lemon Law action, they buy the car/truck back at a depreciated value. If you are getting a new truck in exchange with the same options, it would seem that GM has already stepped well up to the plate. (If not over the plate, to continue the analogy.)
    It seems GMC now remembers that in fact there are problems with the Denali and that they knew that there were cars out there with bad welds rendering them "out of geometry". No solution as yet - in the place of my rock and roll ride - I'm getting the shuck and jive from GMC. More later.
  • siennac70siennac70 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I presently own a volvo c70 (coupe), but I've been contemplating getting a used 2001 or 2002 denali xl, mainly for it's space, one with around 60K for miles. My main concern is how frequently do they give problems? and What should I look out for before actually purchasing one? thanks
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    Just follow any other standard procedure for purchasing a used vehicle: pay to have a competant mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection and run a title search. Denalis make excellent cars. I bought an '01 over a year ago and have had excellent service now with over 61k.