Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• qpowerqpower Member Posts: 34
    By all means, see for yourself comments made independently of the company - go to:
    http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f47/aftermarket-f-r-rotors-pads-hardware-senso- rs-now-11903.html

Read the postings there and you will see plenty of positive opinions and not a single negative one!

Frankly, these are high performance brake systems that require certain levels of service intermittently, depending on a variety of driving conditions. While I seem to need brakes at 26K now, others have gone an incredible 50K plus miles before replacing brakes.

These are engineered to perform under the broadest range of circumstances, just like the rest of the vehicle. Frankly, you would need to buy a Ferrari to get the same performance character and components as on the Touareg! I understand that most folks only respond to the costs and numbers of the repair, but with a little empowerment, you can do a four wheel brake job, completely, for under a $1000, parts and labor.. I am certain of that. You can get the entire four wheel package for under $600 and have someone install it in under four hours for less than $400 labor.

Of course, you can allow the dealers to have their way with you as well, if you do not take matters into your own hands - I am speaking of a full and complete restoration of wearing parts too, not just a pad slap. When you get into it, there is one way only to do the brake work - the Right Way! - Complete replacement of rotors, pads, caliper hardware, pad wear sensors, and rotor retention bolts. These are the wearing parts to replace.

The brake system here is designed to wear out the rotor within the service life of the brake pad set. If the pads are worn out, so is the rotor, by design and materials. Replacing it is the only correct choice to maintain safety. Rotor retention bolts are necessary to replace throughout the rust belt states due to the effects of salt and winter snow on the materials. Pad wear sensors get chewed up in use over time and fail due to the pad wear and also the exposure to the heat in the brake system. Caliper hardware parts need to be replaced for much the same reason - as the pads wear out, the spring tension and resiliency in the metal components of these parts is depleted, so that the replacement of them at the same time as the pads is the only safe course. Thankfully, there is no additional labor involved in installing new hardware, it needs to be removed to do the basic brake work.

I feel the pain of so many of you as you rail about the expense of this VW, but frankly, I could rant about the 05 Chrysler Pacifica POS I bought for my wife that has a host of needling issues... My Touareg has been a champ and unsullied for the past 4 years now!

Don't tell me I am the lucky one - I'm saving that for the next big Powerball lottery!!

:)
  • omotayoomotayo Member Posts: 1
    Has Anyone experienced a profound knocking noise from the rear of v8 touareg when accelerating up to 20mph and it stops once reached 40mph. VW have tried to diagnose the problem but could not. Another baffling point is that when the battery is weak and jump started the noise is not audible until the car is switched off and once turned on the noise starts again. This is a nightmare! my first vw car and probably the last. Please someone help!!!
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Doesn't the Touareg use an electronic locking rear differential (when equipped?) That might be the culprit, if applicable. Sure sounds like it.
  • kpowellkpowell Member Posts: 5
    Hello, Need some help please.
    Today I started the car and drove off and the "warning" message came up saying "Release Park brake" accompanied with a loud annoying siren noise !!!
    I can assure you that the Park brake had been released corectly, honest.
    When I stopped it would go off and then when I started moving again - yes you've guessed it - On it comes again.
    I stopped on more than one occasion and carried out some checks and can say that the brakes were not hot, the car was moving easily when put into drive. etc, etc
    It is some kind of electrical fault, I'm guessing - Any ideas ????
    How can I fix it.
    Cheers KP.
    Sounds like a bad sensor/sending unit for the parking brake.
  • xdid2kxdid2k Member Posts: 2
    Let me start out by saying, NEVER BUY A TOUAREG. I bought a 2004 Touareg at the end of June 2007(used, I know, and will never do that again) with 27K on it. I had problems the second I drove it off the lot. First, I bought it at night so I didn't run the A/C until the next day and when I did it didn't work. Took it in for service and they told me someone else worked on the A/C and they couldn't cover it under warranty ($1043). During that same trip for service I told them to look into the squeeking brakes. Found out those were bad($880). On my way home from the dealer after the first service I got a flat tire warning, pulled over, no flat tire. I've had it in 6 times to try and fix this problem and they still can't fix it. On the sixth time they did something to the computer system and now I can't even turn the system off so I get to listen to this beeping over and over again everywhere I go telling me I have a flat when I don't. About a week after I bought the car my exhaust mafunction light came on. They told me some valves were bad and they needed to replace them. Once that didn't work they found out I had a crack in my gas tank and had to replace that. The list goes on and on. About 2 months after I got my Reg it wouldn't start, needed a new fuel pump. Dome lights wouldn't come on when doors opened, had to replace a sensor. Gas cap loose warning keeps going off, had to replace a sensor. Rear temp controls stopped working, everyhting is delaminating, door handle broke on rear pass, door rattles very badly on front pass, "Rest" setting for when you turn the car off it keeps warming the inside for 30min is broken, and the brakes still squeek. VW doesn't keep any parts in stock so when they find something they have to replace they have to order it and I have to bring the car back. I have had the nav system replaced twice. When installing the nav sys the dumb asses scratched the hell out of my seat heater icons and they broke one of my vents. No one fessed up to it and they were going to make me pay until I went a little nuts on the service manager. Remember I have only had this car for 6 MONTHS. It has been in the shop as much as I've driven it. I find my self driving a different rental car almost twice a month for a week each time. Needless to say It is back on the market. It may be mean, but I feel sorry for what ever sucker buys this piece of [non-permissible content removed].
  • jselfridgejselfridge Member Posts: 1
    Whenever I shut off the engine, a fan or something keep running for about 10 minutes after. Is this normal? Doesn't seem so to me, but where I bought the car told me that this was nothing to worry about.
  • songbirdsongbird Member Posts: 2
    I have a V6 2004 Touareg, which I have to park outside(no garage). When the weather temperature drops to 50 degrees or below, my tail lights come on, usually in the middle of the night when I am sleeping. This has drained my battery several times. The technicians say they can not duplicate the problem. What could this be. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • gavindavidsongavindavidson Member Posts: 2
    I have just been told my Touareg in " unroadworthy" because the rear mounting for the prop shaft has suffered "component failure". It is not as a result of a knock or any damage and the garage has said that it's just one of those things. This is an expensive item and apparently VW have offered to discount the part by 30% but its stll going to cost £560 ($1000).
    Is this a common failure? Has anyone had a similar experience?
  • gsotiggsotig Member Posts: 8
    Same thing happened on my 2004 model at around 38,000 miles - I was lucky since it was under warranty. The vehicle was junk and I eventually turned it in 2 months before my lease was up because the warranty was about to expire.
  • gavindavidsongavindavidson Member Posts: 2
    Ouch! Maybe I should have done the same and sold it b4 warranty expired.
  • steveo10steveo10 Member Posts: 1
    When I turn the wheels, I get an ungodly thumping noise and a sharp "k-bang" shudder, repeatedly, at low speed. It sometimes continues when I driving straight at lower speeds, disappears above 40mph.

WTF?
    Check to make sure all of your wheel lugs are tight.
  • jeffreyvjeffreyv Member Posts: 3
    Hi - I had the same issue and the dealer I bought the car from said it was the type of tires the car uses (yeah, right . . .) but then we moved to the West coast and I got it in for service where the dealer tech told me that there are small servo-motors that actually adjust the rear wheel speed depending on turn ratio. If you think about it logically, the fron of the car is turning left or right at a slow rate of speed, so the rear wheels need to adjust either the left or the right in order to catch up with the rest. Otherwise the tire edge literally drags itself along the pavement. Try it with a kids matchbox car: just try to get the car to turn left or right without moving it forward very far and you'll notice the rear tires scraping along the table/floor. Once they changed these motors (on warranty, thank god!) the car was fine. I get the idea that many of these VW dealers are pulling at straws.
    Anyone have to change their headlamps yet? We had one on warranty so no sweat, but the most recent one blew out and cost me $400 to replace! Christ, I used to change the halogen unit in my Bronco for under $20 bucks! It took me 30 minutes and I had plenty of beer money left over. Now baby wants a new pair of shoes and the headlamp took the priority. Anyone have this issue?
    Also, while I am ranting about my 2004 V8 'reg, has anyone experienced a problem with the underseat illumination pice poping out of it's bezel and hanging down?
    The dealer said someone keeps kicking it with their feet when they sit in the back - well have any of you tried to put anyone comfortable in the back?? Not happening.
  • xdid2kxdid2k Member Posts: 2
    Mine is still under warranty so I have not had to pay for them yet, but here is some advice for the rest of you who will be losing their warranty soon. I told the dealer both of my head lights would only come on sometimes and I didn't know why. Without question they replaced both head lights for me at no cost. I have had numerous problems with my reg so I make things up when it goes in for normal service to get them to look at everything before the warranty is up. This way you don't have to pay for them to inspect your reg and they almost always find something wrong, unless they are lying to me. Just tell them you "sometimes hear a wierd noise in the engine, not all the time, but sometimes." They will inspect the whole thing for you and look for anything wrong.
    ...the dealer tech told me that there are small servo-motors that actually adjust the rear wheel speed depending on turn ratio. If you think about it logically, the fron of the car is turning left or right at a slow rate of speed, so the rear wheels need to adjust either the left or the right in order to catch up with the rest. Otherwise the tire edge literally drags itself along the pavement. ...

Umm... That's exactly why cars are equipped with differentials. That tech sold you a bill of goods.
  • carolp1carolp1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 V8 fully loaded Touareg. It has 63,000. I replaced front brakes/rotors etc last April 15th for $900 @ dealer. I was just told today, April 3, that i will need to have both front and back done (light went on) and that the total cost is nearly $2000. The dealer tells me that the pads cannot be replaced but the entire break "unit" including rotors must be replaced that is why the cost.
    I have a 2006 V fully loaded T-reg. I get about 10 miles to the gallon.
    I have a 2006 Touareg and just had the pleasure of being told that not just the bulb neede replacement but the igniter is also bad--total cost over $600 for 1 headlight. Can anyone tell me it this sounds right?
    I have a 2006 V8 fully loaded Touareg. I bought it brand new at the end of 2006. I have had to have the drive shaft replaced 2 times(within 3 months of purchase 1st time, then 6 months 2nd) I have had the Navigation replaced once. My 1st set of "soft summer" tires 19" Continentals lasted 18,000. (I replaced them with Toyos, they lasted over 40,000 and still strong) Sensors will not turn off. After it rains they just continually beep and lights are all on. Front brakes done last year now I'm told front and back must be replaced again. Right headlight just went out and was told igniter must be replaced with headlight for over $600. I am afraid to get into the car as another alarm may alert me something is in need of repair. I contacted a lemon law attorney ut was told in my state of CA that an issue must occur 3 times in order to utilize this protection. :mad: :cry: :confuse: :lemon:
  • elmodawgelmodawg Member Posts: 2
    Love my 06 V6 'Reg (31k miles)....only very minor issues, and nothing like the nightmare stories on this board. It's been a great car -- comfortable, safe, good-looking.

But....we need a bigger vehicle since the arrival of an (unplanned!) second child.

Dealer will give me 22k for it. I am thinking that since the warranty in close to expiring, the tires have another 6 months, and that I have been lucky so far to have escaped the electrical and mechanical issues that seem so common, perhaps it's time to trade it in....

Anyone here have a good reason why I shouldn't?
  • pamperedbeckypamperedbecky Member Posts: 5
    I have an '07 Touareg AND two kids (3 and 6) and LOVE it. I had a minivan before and the Touareg was my dream car so I made the jump to that. I don't feel it's too small for two kids. One is in a booster seat with a back and the other is still in a car seat (Britax) and they both fit great in the back seat. There may even be room for another kid in between them (not with a car seat or booster seat thought) but we've never had to do that. There's still plenty of room in the way back for a stroller (or in my case a big rolling bag/showcase and huge totebag that I take to shows as a cooking consultant for a direct sales company).

I know I'd be sad if I had to give up my 'reg, so I just wanted to add my two cents as a mom with two kids. :)

ETA: Oh and congrats on the surprise! I know lots of parents with surprises! :)
  • elmodawgelmodawg Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the reply. we have the booster and a britax in the back seat as well, and I would never say there's plenty of room, though it is adequate...we do lot's of gear-intensive things and thus we are often packed to the gills. but space issues aside, i think it might be a good time (i.e., before the warranty is up) to capitalize on the equity in the car and trade it prior to experiencing any problems.

mathematically, that may just make the most sense.

thanks for the reply
    The differentials do no good at slow manuevers and parking turns and so forth. Without these integral pieces you have a shuddering effect when making deliberate turns at speeds below 15 mph. No line of goods here, it was done under warranty and the problem went away. I researched it when it was diagnosed and this seemed to be logical as an explanation.
    The ca turns smoothly now at any speed and it cost me nothing but two days without my car. Thanks for your concern, tayl0rd. :D
  • efilipekefilipek Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post here. I know there have been many posts about the braking system of the Touareg. I just had my fronts/rears replaced on my 2006 V8 with 23K miles. Total cost of $2K. For that mileage its just crazy. After complaining to the service manager because of the seemingly early wear and the cost (but that is dealer prices for a car that requires new rotors as well - a whole different topic) - he took me aside and said that there are an increasing number of these trucks needing new brakes at very low miles. When I spoke with the owner of the dealership he was shocked. The problem is that the service departments love this.

So i filed a formal complaint with VW. They are very nice and responsive but the resolution was just normal wear and tear.

Anyway if it is in fact true that many of these newer year and model Touareg's require a $2K maintenance job for just brakes before $25K miles I would be surprised if anyone would purchase them. I certainly wouldn't have.

The other interesting point is that the reason these brakes wear so fast is that for certain model years and styles they are apparently the same brakes used on the Aston Martin DB9, two Ferrari models and a Lamborghini.

I have two little kids and appreciate quality brakes which i assume the Touareg has but that level of cost this early is far too excessive. I traded in my Jeep GC Limited for the VW and that had 50K miles and the original brakes.
  • paddybpaddyb Member Posts: 1
    Wow! After reading through all these problems, I've been very fortunate.

I've had a 2005 Toureg for over 3 years, and 95,000 miles. Great car, on my third set of tires, brakes done once completely ($2,100.00) No mechancal problems, until now.

At slow speeds, like turning into a parking spot, the front end makes kind of a clicking noise, and the front tires seem to skip, like they're out of sych.

Anyone else experienced this, and if so, what did it turn out to be? Can't seem to get through to a VW tech.
    Your scrubbing problem is related to the stepper motor which helps the vehicle turn in all-wheel drive modes thru radii in motion, especially in slow maneuvers like you describe. It is affixed to the transfer case.

These were such a known issue that VW had conducted a refit campaign for all trucks made between certain VIN's and were mostly affecting 2004 MY. I own just one, but have not had troubles. I do not believe they will replace now unless under warranty.

You do want to get this addressed right off as this will damage your tires within relatively short mileage - you are tearing the tire material against the road.

Good luck!
    There is a lot of data on this at ClubTouareg.com or by search at VWVortex.com.

Please review the posts here at ClubTouareg.com: This is a long thread all about the brakes. There is no real justification for spending all that money. Take the initiative to spend your money wisely!

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f47/aftermarket-f-r-rotors-pads-hardware-and-s- ensors-now-11903.html

:shades:
  • arhouarhou Member Posts: 8
    I've had my 2008 T2 for about a month and love the vehicle except that the steering is pulling to the right. VW shop in Bryan, TX stated that there is a bulletin on this concern and realigned the frontend. It's better but not 100%. Has anyone had this problem and is there a known fix?

thanks
  • ninepoundninepound Member Posts: 2
    I experience this same problem with my 2004 tuorage, with no explanation or concerns from the local dealership. After intensely searching for answers, I removed each roof mount and amazingly no more noise. What's interesting, I learned this while researching the Porsche site.
  • ninepoundninepound Member Posts: 2
    I also found market price for rotors and brakes to be overwhelming, while having my 2004 Touareg's annual State inspection. After some research, it’s simply the price you pay when driving a high performance vehicle. When I purchased my Touareg it only had 5000 miles. The front rotors lasted 92,000 miles and rear rotors 122,000 miles. It all depends on your driving style.
  • skibum8skibum8 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 VW Touareg with about 6k miles on it. I was driving on dry pavement, about 3-5 miles per hour, when I heard/felt a thump then an extremely loud screeching noise from the front left tire area. It sounded like a train stopping on the tracks, like metal on metal. The car was barely drive-able, and luckily I was a block from home and inched my way to the driveway. I had the car towed to a VW dealer and they said there was a rock lodged in my rotor. The rock was the size of a pea. They said this is not uncommon. I think it is unsafe to have a design that allows rocks to enter the braking system and render the car not drive-able. Has anyone else experienced this?
    The car was barely drive-able...

How so?
  • skibum8skibum8 Member Posts: 2
    The screaching was so incredibly loud, it was unreal. As well, there was clunk with each full tire rotation. Not knowing what it was, I decided I didn't want to make whatever it was worse by driving it, and as well, VW told me not to drive it when I called. I had to get it towed to a dealership, where they pulled the tires off and found this rock in the rotor. It was so lodged in, they couldn't knock it out with a screwdriver or anything, so it took about 1.5 hrs to get it all taken apart, out and put back together again. Just seems like poor design. I have had this car 5 months.
    Thanks for the clarification.
  • bryanwhittneybryanwhittney Member Posts: 1
    that sux dude, you had to bring it back for that. that shocked me when i heard that rocks are able to get inbetween the brakes.
    speaking of brakes and rotors. any one know of any good places to buy stock rotors? also im looking to change out the factory muffler and put in some kind of customs exhaust. if anyone knows anything let me know?
  • kristenbkristenb Member Posts: 1
    I recently had my touareg serviced at an independent volkswagen repair shop. My vechile was in the shop for 5 days due to volkswagens slow shipping problems. The reason my vechile was in the shop was to replace two connecters into the transmission module. I picked my car up friday and drove about 40 miles ( I drive to families houses for my job) in a 4 hour period. Towards the end of those visits I started to hear a noise coming from the passenger front side. My car also was not a smooth ride and was alittle shakey. I drove my car home that night and the noise got louder! It sound like I large thumping noise coming from the front wheel. I am dreading having to go back to the shop for more repairs and money. Any suggestions of the problem. :confuse: :sick:
  • emmabemmab Member Posts: 43
    Well, just read the thing about the brakes and that was only part of the problem with the 06 we just bought with 55000 miles on it.
    We loved the look of the vehicle, but from the first day we had it, it was so laden with problems.
    First the dealer that sold it to us (not VW), sold it with totally worn out brakes.
    We got that fixed but they always required two taps to make the vehicle stop.
    Very odd.
    Then the other day we found out one of the lamps was bad (quoted 300 or so), seat belt part broken (another huge price tag).
    And finally, when the vehicle was started up in the morning, it was very slugglish.
    Found out that was some kind of sensor, another nearly $200.
    We had bought an extended warranty, but at $100 per copay, how much did we really want to spend on this?
    So, my husband found a lovely, new 08 Volvo SUV and got it for a very good price.
    They paid off the VW which we only had two months, and we think we probably did the right thing.
    We lost the GPS, gained an in-dash CD changer and Blue Tooth, lost those parking sensors. Simplified things down a bit, but we gained a four year, 52,000 mile warranty. The Volvo was only used as a demo.
    Oh well....
  • kasrhpkasrhp Member Posts: 11
    Currently, I have an 04 F-150 Lariat that I love. Its been a great truck and have not had any problems with it. I am currently in the market to get an suv as we have a baby on the way. Looking for more safety features and a more "usable" vehicle. I am looking at the Touareg and really like what I see. However, I have heard some rumors off the reliability issues with it. Also, I have heard that the repair prices are through the roof too. I found this on consumerguide.com

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2003-to-2007-volkswagen-touareg-2.htm-

I was wondering if these prices are remotely accurate, because they dont even look credible.
    Its a tough spot. I really like the looks of the Touareg, the all around capability(on and off road), the safety is top notch. But, the last thing that I want to do is go from a great truck with no problems, to a nice, expensive to repair, and repair constantly suv. (the certifieds do have a 2 year warranty, and thats what I would more than likely do). So I was just wanting some real world feedback from all of you guys. Thanks a lot for your help.
  • gsotiggsotig Member Posts: 8
    We leased the 04 model based on the same conditions; looked great, very safe, good off road capability and the vehicle was a nightmare. We had lots of minor problems to a major problem where it left us stranded. Hopefully the the newer models are better since they could not get any worse. Concerning the repair cost; we were quoted ~$900 for front brakes and rotors at 30K and tires lasted less than 25K with rotation. I have other friends that owned Touaregs, some did not have the problems we did, but another had a mojor transmission problem that cost them several thousands to repair. Buyer beware when it comes to this vehicle.
  • jlcjrjlcjr Member Posts: 4
    Don't get one. I went through brakes every 13,000 miles and it was between $800 and $1,400 to repair depending on if I only needed front brakes or front and rear brakes. The front windshield wipers are over $100. I had the car leased for 4 years and I went through 3 sets of tires in 61,000 miles. I had a headlight go out twice and each time it was $300. Your warranty will not cover the brakes, windshield wipers, or headlights. Drove like a dream, but it is too expensive to own. Especially when you go for service and they don't give you a loaner car. Get a Mercedes, Lexus, or BMW for safety. Get the Lexus GX for safety and reliability. Doesn't handle as well, but you avoid the headaches.
    after only two months.
    We bought it with 55000 miles on it, didnt have a clue how bad it was.
    I am so glad we found a great deal on an 08 Volvo, and I am so glad we decided to trade this in after only two months ownership.
    Today my husband went to the dealer where we bought the Volvo.
    They said the VW 2006 Touareg was so bad, so many things totally wrong, they couldnt even afford to sell it as a trade in.
    They had to dump it at the auction.
    We know about the headlight being expensive, and so was a seat belt part.
    The brakes we already had to fix but made the dealer who declared the vehicle to be in excellent shape, fix it. They said it was a $900 job.
    The other problem was about a $200 job and apparently there were another whole set of problems besides those.
    Whew, I am glad we are out of that.
    I dont know if Volvo is that pricey to fix, but at least we got one with no former owner, just a demo.
  • kasrhpkasrhp Member Posts: 11
    Well thanks a lot for the replies. Im glad I heard about how bad it is. I talked to my dealer about them also, and he said stay far away. So I did. Im looking at the Explorer limited's now or the Nissan Pathfinder LE. Those seem a lot better. Too bad such a nice suv like the Touareg is really just a pile of dung.
  • arhouarhou Member Posts: 8
    FYI, I own an 06 and 08 Touareg and have had no problems with either other than routine maintenance. My neighbor has an 06 with the same results. The used Treg with 55K miles may have been abused by a prior owner. New brakes and routine maintenance at 55K is no surprise. It would not be out of reason for a dealer to tell the 06 owner they couldn't sell the car so that they can offer a less than fair trade.

I'd give the Touareg a hard look. I've owned multiple BMW, Lexus and Mercedes products and rank the Touareg with any of these.

In Houston the Treg is a sought after vehicle.
    Actually, what happened was the Volvo dealer paid off in full the loan on the Touareg which we had only owned for two months. ($19,800) They paid in fact more than I would ever have expected them too. We knew about some problems, apparently they found a whole bunch more and said the repairs were over $3000. By then it was too late, they had bought themselves a Touareg and we had us a new Volvo with only 5000 miles instead of 55000. I agree the former owner may have not taken care of the vehicle, but the Volvo dealer really made us a wonderful deal and I think they may now regret it! The car is not on the lot, and they did not sell it. They would have had no reason to make any of this up.
  • cwalshecwalshe Member Posts: 1
    first the entire drive shaft needed to be replaced at 50k ok under warranty no problem 60k later it needs to replaced again bc of the same bearing issue no warranty $1200 out of pocket dont know what to do because its just gonna break again if i do fix it. plus i buy 60k guaranteed goodyear tires i wear those out in 20k (i do rotate my tires for guarantee) sensors are constantly breaking so annoying and expensive did i mention the paint on all of the buttons bubbles off if you touch them. to sum it all up the most expensive piece of junk i have ever bought in my life what ever happened to that new car lemon law GERMAN ENGINEERING AKA UNRELIABLE ENGINEERING ps. i could i have bought three new cheaper cars for the same price with less than half the problems of the touareg
    Two weeks ago it seemed that my a/c wasn't blowing cold enough air. Took it in to VW and they did whatever computerized tests they do and supposedly tested the temp, but said nothing was wrong. Figured it was my imagination. It definitely wasn't working though as I found out. It got steamier and more humid here in Chicagoland, so I took it in again a week ago to get it checked out for a 2nd time. I needed an oil change anyway. NOW they did find something wrong with the a/c after they delved into the issue a little more than just hooking it up to a computerized thing. They said it needed some valve. That didn't solve it. Then they talked with VW to get more input and decided it needed a new compressor (sorry...I'm not familiar with all of this car stuff). That didn't fix it. Now they are waiting to hear from one of their regoinal engineers to figure it out.

Has anyone else had any a/c issues with an '07? I love this car and have been very happy with it---other than replacing the brakes at 20K miles. It's still under warranty for the a/c so at least I don't have to worry about that. What if they can't figure it out? Luckily the dealership has been great and always gets me a loaner (although this time it's a rental they are footing the bill for because they were out of loaners). They keep me posted and don't seem to be blowing smoke. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Ok, so now it's July 15th and my dealership has had my Touareg for FOUR WEEKS! This is getting completely ridiculous. I've been patient as it seems they've been replacing EVERY single component to the A/C system. Still didn't work. They're good at keeping me up to date, but I'm completely fed up. Most people would have flipped out on them a long time ago. The latest reason it's STILL not working is they've determined that the compressor that VW sent them was faulty. Supposedly a new one was overnighted to arrive this morning. It's nearly 1 pm my time and I haven't heard a thing.

I've got an open case with VW of America and have talked with them periodically too. I have no payments on this car, so there is no way for them to cover a car payment as compensation for this ridiculous mess and inconvenience. I requested the new Ipod adapter and that has supposedly been installed and works "great" (how wonderful since it does me no good since I don't have my car). VOA told me last Monday (the 6th) that this was approved to be installed as a token of appreciation for my patience and the inconvenience this has caused. The service guy said they'd detail my car and replace my wiper blades. That's all nice, but I'm feeling I should be compensated more in some way. FOUR WEEKS without my T-reg. This was my dream car and it has been quite a let-down. Am I out of line to feel I should be compenstated more? I have one other wish list item that I can think of that my car doesn't already have (other than a new car!!!) and that is roof rails since mine didn't come with any. Anyone know how much those run? I don't need fancy ones. Is this reasonable to ask for? I'm a nice person and I hate confrontation, but my patience has worn out. If they call today and say it STILL doesn't work, I need to be prepared to really go off, which won't be hard. Any thoughts please???
    You know, I'll be honest w/ you. With a screen name of "pamperedbecky," I was prepared to jump to a snap judgment about you, but your situation is beyond reasonable and you DEFINITELY deserve to be compensated. Ask 'em, no, DEMAND that roof rack you have your eye on; or even better, demand at least a 4 week extension of your factory warranty, not just some crappy 3rd party or dealer warranty.

I'd be livid. At this amount of time, I believe every state in the Union would allow you to file a lemon law claim. If the dealership refuses to compensate you commensurately for your time and troubles, threaten them with that. If they still don't budge, file the claim.

I LOVE the Touareg, too. I don't own one, and the thought of owning one is terrifying based on all the troubles they seem to have. :cry: