Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    You lease $30K car this month for 3 years, with an $18K residual. Next January, it is totaled in an accident. The insurance company puts a value of $24K on it.

1) If you put nothing down on it, your lease payment is 429.33 and after 6 months you have a total outlay of $2576 and the balance owed to the bank is $28K. The insurance company pays them the $24K, and the GAP insurance pays them the balance. Total cost: $2576

2) If you put $5K down on the lease, your payment is $280.44 and after six months your total of payments and down payment is $6682 and the balance owed to the bank is $23834. The insurance company pays $24K, which would be $166 over what is owed. Assuming you get the overage back, total cost: $6546

Under this scenario, your $5K downpayment cost you $3970. The amount saved in finance charges assuming you complete the lease is about $360 (assuming MF of .002).

For $10 month, I'd rather keep my money in the bank. You can change the numbers and the savings can be more or less.. this was just to illustrate the math behind the advice.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    kyfdx,

Thanks for the example. I would just argue that the insurance co. will value it much higher than that. A six month old car will actually come out close to the original purchase price. I guess it varies by insurance co. but in my real life experience, the retail + tax + registration, etc.. came up to $4K more than what I thought the car was worth. I was actually surprised (pleasantly of course). I also wonder if the GAP is even utilized much these days. But again, this just my own experience. Since one can't assume all insurance will do the same, I suppose the safe thing is to go with your example as the worst case scenario.
    Your insurance company may treat you differently, but in most cases, they negotiate with the bank who owns the car. The bank is covered either way.. What the insurance company doesn't cover, the GAP insurance will. They have no stake in helping you recover your downpayment. If the accident is your fault, and you are dealing with your own insurance company, you may have a little leverage with them, but if you are hit by someone else, and have no other loss than the car, you may be left out in the cold by their company.

I totaled a car in '02 and was also pleasantly surprised by the payoff, but it was MY car, not the bank's, and I'd been with the same company since '85 with over ten years accident-free.

It may not ever happen, but I think it is a good rule of thumb to pay as little up front as possible on a lease.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• pipopipo Member Posts: 36
    Another way to put it is that your down payment is at risk, and unless you are very comfortable with the notion that your insurance company will value your specific leased vehicle at a level high enough to eliminate or reduce your loss exposure, you shouldn't make a down payment (especially a big one). Since there are so many variables out of the lessee's control -- date of the accident/theft; general condition of the auto market at the time of loss; depreciation rate specifically applicable to your vehicle (e.g., Audi unintended acceleration debacle as an example of what you wouldn't want to happen to you) -- I agree that it is best to keep your money in your pocket (metaphorically, of course).
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Any overage does not go to the leasee but the one who owns the vehicle. So if it holds it value and is more than owed then the lease company profits not you. Your down payment is gone the moment you hand over the check.
    I don't think you're right about the overage going to the owner. Why should the owner get the overage? The owner is not the insured under the policy.

My belief is that the insurance company will pay any overage to the lessee; they treat the lease effectively the same way as they would treat a purchase transaction, and treat the lessee as they would the purchaser. Once the owner/lessor is paid off, any overage should go to the lessee. I'm not an expert on this; can anyone confirm?
    You are renting the car.. Even though you pay for the insurance, the bank owns the car, and they receive the proceeds from any payout. Many times, these are negotiated between the car owner and the insurance company. (When my own car was totaled, I had to negotiate to get the number I wanted for it). If the bank gets their payoff amount, they are satisfied. If they tell the insurance company they need $24K to pay off the loan, and the car is worth $25K, the insurance company is likely to say "fine, here is a check for $24K", then they are out of it. You have very little leverage, other than being a loyal customer. You definitely don't have any legal standing to recover any monies. It may be a possibility that the bank will receive more than the car is worth, and rebate the excess monies to you, but that would be a long shot as well.

My advice still stands.. Don't make any cap cost reduction at lease inception. Then, you won't have to worry about it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

There IS a difference between financing and a lease. If you finance the car, you own it, and the bank just has a financial interest. The only requirement is that their lien is paid off. They have no say in what value you get for the car if totaled, etc... If you lease it, they own it. You really have no financial interest in the car. Just an obligation to complete the terms of your contract.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• hullabaloohullabaloo Member Posts: 3
    I'm in process of surveying best deal from local dealers and wanted to report the offers thus far: one dealer came in with $500 over invoice-- the second came back with invoice. Nothing as yet on getting 1.9% financing offered by BMW (though when I was visiting the lot, the sales guy said they're trying to get 2.9% from folks). Anyone had luck conducting the whole transaction via email? I'm wondering when to introduce the notion of a trade in...
  • lips3lips3 Member Posts: 1
    Requesting thoughts from the Forum...

MSRP: $41,345.00
    Price to Pay: $38,565.00

Price difference: $2,780.00

X3 2.5i - Black Sapphire Metallic/Black Leather
              Cold Wx Package
              Premium Package
              Auto Transmission
              Xenon headlights
              Navigation System
              Mats included
              No processing fee
    I stopped by the local dealer yesterday to see what typically equipped (or at least equipped to my preference) X3 2.5 would be. I then did a little research here as to MFs, residuals, etc.. and came up with a sample lease payment.

Assumptions: 3yr/45K, cap cost of $1000 over invoice plus acquisition fee rolled into cap cost. 6% tax. Only upfront costs are: 1st payment, security deposit, registration fees.

MSRP: $40,045
    Pymt: $502/mo. tax included.

Hope this info is useful.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I ordered an X3 2.5 6-speed in June, and it just arrived at the dealer. At the time I ordered, I was given a discount of $1740 off MSRP, a reasonable deal in the market at that time.

Now I see that my dealer is advertising a 3.0 with an MSRP $3000 higher than my X3 at a monthly lease price $10 per month less (works out to $3500 off MSRP).

It seems that there are better deals available on the 3.0 than the 2.5, and that generally, selling prices are down substantially since June. Should I renegotiate the price on my ordered vehicle? Tell them I want a 3.0 at the better price, even though I custom ordered the 2.5? I don't want to be unfair to the dealer, but I do feel I should get "market" pricing. Am I right?
    The lease deals for July are better than June. Your dealer should be willing to use the July numbers to figure your lease, even if you pay the same price for the car. That should lower your lease payment. I think the money factor for the 2.5 is .0011 and the 15K residual is 58% for 36 months.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks, kyfdx, you're right about the money factor, which applies to 36 and 39 month leases. I'm also getting a 62% residual for 39 months (10000 miles annually). At this point, I'm inclined to stay with the originally negotiated cap cost. Any additional thoughts?
    What is your MSRP? $1800 off doesn't sound that far out of range.. I don't know about the 3.0 leases, but I do know that there is an incentive on the 3.0 that pretty much gives you the steptronic for free. Since you desire the manual transmission, that wouldn't help you anyway.

I think your best bet would be to get them to use the new MF/residual numbers for July and see how that helps your payment. A small change could net you $25/month. Equivalent to negotiating a $900 lower price on the car. Using the July numbers costs them nothing, but lowering the price of the car comes right off their bottom line. I would think the former would be easier to accomplish.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• qascentqascent Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to finalize the details for leasing a BMW x3 with premium, auto, privacy glss, leather, and heated seats. The MSRP is 38845. The selling price is 36845. The sales tax is 6%. This is what the dealer gave me. No money down, 39months, 15k/year, $1700 due at signing (first month payment, security dep, licsand reg, and aquisition fee). The monthly payment with tax work out to be $435. Is this a good deal. I need to let the guy know asap and since this is my first time leasing I have not idea if all the numbers make sense. All inputs appreciated.
    Right off the top of my head, that looks like a good lease. $2K off MSRP and no cap cost reduction. If you wanted, they could roll the acquistion fee into the cap cost also, reducing your upfronts by $525, with a corresponding increase in payment (about $15/mo.) The nice thing about 39mo/15K leases is you stay in warranty the whole time, as long as you don't exceed your mileage allowance.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'm not sure of the exact residual on the 39 month lease, but are you sure that payment includes tax? Most of the numbers I get would make more sense if it was $435 plus tax. So, if that is your deal, you better grab it. Also, make sure your total mileage allowed is 48,750.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is hoping to talk with a recent BMW buyer who traded in a VW, Toyota, Honda, Ford or Chevy when buying the BMW.
    Please respond with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience to jfallon@edmunds.com asap no later than Tuesday, August 3, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tl33tl33 Member Posts: 2
    Philadelphia/South Jersey area

X3 2.5i with automatic transmission, power roof, privacy glass, silver metallic

Cap cost: $34,445
    Amount due at inception: $1,148.17 (1st mo, reg, bank fee, doc fee - no down pymt)
    39 months; 10,000 miles/year
    Monthly payment: $425

Seems a bit high.
    What is the MSRP?

And does the price include tax?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tl33tl33 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for your quick reply. The MSRP is approximately $36,980 and the total monthly payment of $425 includes tax. The dealer is telling me this is a phenomenal deal b/c BMW wants to get more X3s on the road.

The reason it seems high to me is that the BMW website provides the info for the X3 2.5i lease - MSRP $32,270 (with automatic), monthly pymt of $298, total lease pymts of $11,622, $3,098 due at signing includes $298 first month pymt, $1,975 down pymt, $800 acq fee, $298 sec deposit. Excludes tax, title, license and registration.

I would never put a down pymt on a lease, so backing the $1,975 suggested down pymt and $800 acquisition fee into the total lease pymts of $11,622, would raise the total lease pymts to $14,397. Over 39 months that is $369/mo plus 7% tax is about $395/mo. At signing, I would just pay the 1st month, sec deposit and title/registration nominal fees. Am I missing something here?
    Well..your MSRP is 14.5% higher, so you have to figure that difference in first. That adds another $43/month to the payment ($298 X 14.5%). This is a generalization, but I think that puts you close.. $298 + $43 + $71 = $412 + tax. That comes to about $441. I think you are getting a decent deal.

regards,
    kyfdx

EDIT: Also, add about $5/mo for more interest on a higher cap cost and residual. It looks like you are getting the car for about $800 less than the advertised deal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• pet3pet3 Member Posts: 2
    I'm getting serious about purchasing an X3. How much of a discount from MSRP should I expect? Also, what type of lease #'s (Money factor and residual) should I push for? Tell me about the deals others have been receiving. My probable lease will be 3 years @ 15k per year with a minimum amount of $$$ down. I reside in Massachusetts. Thanks in advance
    pet3: See my msg #62 in this thread.

MF is .0011

3yr/45K residual is 59%

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lhalha Member Posts: 3
    Here is a quote I got today on BMW x3
    not specific as to vehicle!

2004 X3 2.5
    Sale Price= 40,500
    residual= 62% (25,866)
    term= 39 month
    rate= .00135 (about3.25%)
    payment= 484.38+tax(44.08)= total=528.46

Will you comment for me on how to proceed. According to what I read on this forum, I would be getting soaking on the price and the money factor. Plus he did not state the features on the car. How much should I ask for off of the MSRP? I do not want to put anything down except 1st payment license etc. The BMW sales guy said even if you credit rating is 775 we still require security dep. is this true? He said all BMW dealers require it.
    thanks!
    If that residual number is correct, I put the MSRP at about $41,750. They can waive the security deposit, but it adds .00015 to the base MF. I prefer to go ahead and make the deposit. It looks like he is rolling in the acquisition fee of $525 (though he could be marking it up a couple hundred also). And, the base MF is .0011, so that looks marked up about .00025

If they used the base MF, that would knock about $17/month off the lease. From looking through previous posts, it looks like you could maybe knock about $750 more off the sale price, also, but that depends on the dealer.

If the MSRP is indeed $41,750 (or close), then this is the deal I would want:

MSRP $41,750
    Selling price $39,750
    Cap cost (including Acq.fee of $525) $40,275
    Residual 62% (10K per year, right?)
    39 month payment $444 plus tax

If you want 12K miles per year, it decreases the residual by 1%, which will raise the payment about $10/mo. pre-tax.

All of this would be with only 1st payment, security deposit, and title/registration upfront. So, with tax, figure $1000-$1200 depending on title fees in your state.

Can you get that deal? I'm not sure.. depends on your dealer. For the first offer, they aren't that far off, though.. $40/month difference.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

That would be a really loaded X3 2.5

The heavily optioned ones at my local dealer sticker for about $39K. Strippers for about $33.5K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Here is a quote I got today on BMW x3
    not specific as to vehicle!

2004 X3 2.5
    Sale Price= 40,500
    residual= 62% (25,866)
    term= 39 month
    rate= .00135 (about3.25%)
    payment= 484.38+tax(44.08)= total=528.46

Will you comment for me on how to proceed. According to what I read on this forum, I would be getting soaking on the price and the money factor. Plus he did not state the features on the car. How much should I ask for off of the MSRP? I do not want to put anything down except 1st payment license etc. The BMW sales guy said even if you credit rating is 775 we still require security dep. is this true? He said all BMW dealers require it.
    thanks!
    your quick reply is appreciated!

I have always bought my cars never leased. What do you recommend? (They told me 2.9* rate but I think the going BMW rate is 1.9%)
    It all depends on your needs and your ability to forecast how many miles you might drive. I'm not sure about the 1.9% on X3, but I wouldn't doubt it. I know they have that rate on 3-series. I prefer leasing (though I'm not currently), but it requires you to fulfill the terms of the contract for it to make good financial sense. If you aren't certain of your future needs or you get a wild hair and have to trade, then leasing wouldn't be for you.

The current lease deals on the X3 are attractive, though.. A price of under $500 month including tax is a great deal on a $40K+ car.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 88hodori88hodori Member Posts: 11
    Looking to lease a BMW X3 2.5i, Jet Black with automatic transmission, panoramic moonroof, power front seats.

Here's the quote I got today from an area dealer:

X3 2.5i base price = 30,300.00
    Automatic Transmission = 1275.00
    Panoramic Moonroof = 1350.00
    Power Front Seats = 995.00
    Destination Charge = 695.00

Suggested Sale Price = 33,000.00

Residual Value = 61% [12,000 miles per year]
    Money Factor = 0.0013

Initial out-of-pocket payment: 1130.00
    Lease payment per month = $414.00
    Lease period = 36 months.

I'm in Massachusetts where sales tax is 5%. Do these numbers look decent?

Incidentally, if I want the target monthly payment to come down to $398 AND increase the annual allowance to 15,000 miles, what numbers to need to change>?
    Using your figures, I get that payment using the residual of 59% for the 39mo/15K lease. Tax included.

MSRP $35,400
    Cap cost $33,525 (sale price plus $525 acquisition fee)
    MF .0013 (I think this is bumped up from .0011)
    59% residual
    Payment $394.81 + $19.74tax = $414.55/mo.

When I figure 61% residual, I get $396.46 for the total payment.

Maybe your dealer is adding something else into the cap cost that he isn't telling you about (doc fees, etc.?). That said, that would be a very aggressive sale price.

If you use the base MF of .0011 and the 59% residual for 15K, and the above MSRP and cap cost, the payment actually comes out to $403/mo. tax included. I'm assuming that MA taxes the lease payment each month... If the tax is figured differently from that, it could change the figures.

You aren't too far off from a great deal.. That sale price is really low.. even at the place you are now, you are only $30/mo off a rock bottom deal. I'd ask them to verify all the figures, residuals, etc.. and push them to use the base MF (.0011) for the lease. Or, if you want to simplify matters, just make your offer like this:

Initial payment of $1130
    39 month/15K yearly mileage
    Payment of $400/month tax included.

I'm sure they'll counter offer, if that isn't good enough, and you can always come up $5-$15/month... It looks like you are in the same ballpark.. Good luck.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kohinahikohinahi Member Posts: 112
    Hi! I tried getting the X3 about 3 months ago - but the dealers would not budge below retail. Since I was on an extended vacation, I thought I'd wait till after I got back to buy my car/truck. I was shocked when my sales person offered me the EXACT same X3 for invoice + $200 (MACO). Just thought I'd ask you all if that is a good deal or is there even more money to be saved via dealer hold backs, etc...the cherry on top is the 2.9% financing!!!!

HELP PLEASE!!

Looking at:
    X3 2.5i
    Steptronic Transmission
    Premium
    Cold Weather (Could not get only heated seats!)
    kyfdx, any suggestions on what the price should be for a 2004 X3 2.5, Auto, Premium, Heated seats?
    MSRP = 36,570
    Invoice = 33,555

The dealer wants $500 over invoice in addition to his huge processing fee of $400.

The earlier deal posted on #86 (Truck for invoice + MACO + $225 processing + TT) was for just one SAV - a Black on Black leatherette automatic with heated seats and cruise control. The dealer mentioned that he had 'punched' it as a 'Demo' - and that was the reason he could offer it at invoice. The car only had 12 miles on it.

Are there any deals to be made as it is nearing the year end?

HELP!! Thanks!

kyfdx, this is what happens when you talk people out of buying SAABs...they keep hitting you for more advice!! ;o)
    $900 over invoice isn't a bad deal, if you can get them to give you the 1.9% base rate financing.. I'd push for the lower rate, or ask them to drop the processing fee.. But, if they aren't budging, it doesn't seem like a bad deal..

If you are open to leasing, they have pretty good rates for that also... For instance, using your proposed deal above, and if the dealer uses the base rates, you could lease it for 39mo/15K for about $435/mo with 7%tax included, with only 1st payment and security deposit upfront.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks a ton! Actually, I should have mentioned...I did get them to give me the 1.9%......saves me close to a grand.

I've heard people complain about the whistling sun-roof and some other stuff. Do you have any personal opinion on the truck? I do respect your knowledge and selfless, unbiased opinions.....I did manage to convince my wife to 'reconsider' the SAAB 9-3 Arc. I don't want to come in between her new choice...unless there are some glaring issues!!

Thanks a TON!!
    I've never driven an X3.. You might go over to the X3 board and read through a couple hundred messages.. I've stopped on a Sunday to take a look at them and check out prices.. I'd rather have an X3 than a Highlander, RX330 or an FX35. I think its a great choice, unless you need more interior room, then I would look more for a Highlander or a Pilot.

But, I like most BMWs and am biased towards them a little.

regards,
    kyfdx

Compared to a Saab 9-3, I doubt you'll find many issues... Compared to a Honda Civic, it may be a PITA.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks a ton! Actually, I should have mentioned...I did get them to give me the 1.9%......saves me close to a grand.

I've heard people complain about the whistling sun-roof and some other stuff. Do you have any personal opinion on the truck? I do respect your knowledge and selfless, unbiased opinions.....I did manage to convince my wife to 'reconsider' the SAAB 9-3 Arc. I don't want to come in between her new choice...unless there are some glaring issues!!

Thanks a TON!!
  • catenincatenin Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I recently went to a BMW dealer and most X3 2.5i models left only had auto transmission, power moon roof, metallic paint and heated front seats. I checked on edmunds, the invoice is $31,755. The dealer said my number is wrong, according to him, it's $31,955. He offered me $32,855, which is $31,955 plus $400 preparation fee (what is this?) plus $500 profit for him. I don't know why his number is different to edmunds'. I also asked about programming the car to flash when locking, he told me that it is part of the alarm system and cost $405.

So is this a good deal? From their online inventory I can see that they still have a dozen cars with this configuration and color. Should I wait or this deal is good enough?

Thanks a lot!
  • tdonotdono Member Posts: 24
    Don't lease. Bad Idea. You just end up with a residual...$$$$.... You never own it! BMW Bank does. Just buy one. Just get as little options as possible. Save money. Finance Lowest rate you can get. If you have to lease maybe you cannot afford it. Oh, plus your mileage is limited. If you go over they will charge you. Your SAV could be sitting more than you drive it!! Because you don't want to go over mileage $$$.

BAD IDEAR!!!
    Thanks kyfdx! I think the X3 is the perfect size for my wife...she is short. As far as interior room it's more than enough. She tried the RX330, VW Touareg, MDX and FX35. She prefered the sporty drive of the X3. Her next preference was the 325i. So, she does not really like trucks...just this one!

We did purchase the X3 yesterday:
    2.5 litre engine
    Steptronic
    Premium
    Heated Seats
    Privacy Glass
    Satellite prep
    Blue Water Mettalic paint
    Mats
    1.9% financing

Invoice - $34,375 (+ cost of Mats)
    Paid - $34,855 + TTT.

Essentially paid $480 over invoice...which included MACO + Dealer processing + Dealer profit....didn't bother with specifics, just negotiated the bottom dollar.

Thanks a ton kyfdx!!! Appreciate all your help over the past few months.

A BIG THANKS to all of you out there sharing your thoughts and experiences!!! It would have been impossible to get such a great deal with out your posts and help!!

THANKS!!!!
    Nice job.. That Bluewater color is really nice.. Enjoy your new car.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 1stbeemer1stbeemer Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone confirm a $1,200 BMW dealer rebate on the X3 3.0 with automatic transmission? Offered $900 above Edmunds invoice, but at the time did not know about the rebate.
    1stbeeemer,
    The $1,200 cash-to-dealer is only for the 3-series cars. While shopping for the X3 I asked 3 dealers about the cash - they all came back with the same answer. IF there is something special for the 3.0 vs. the 2.5 - I have no knowledge of these specials?!

What APR are they offering you? You can push for 1.9%. A 1% difference on a $40,000 truck will save you $1,050.

Best of luck!
  • 1stbeemer1stbeemer Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for getting back! They did offer 1.9% financing, but, i wonder if I'm better off trying to negotiate for an'05 X3 when depreciation is considered. The '04 year end deal has around $1,500 in options I don't want.
    At one time earlier this year, there was a "free" auto transmission on the X3 3.0

I haven't heard if that is still in place, but it may be. If you think you'll trade in 3 years and depreciation is an issue, then I would suggest leasing an '04. They have great deals on 39 month leases right now.

If leasing doesn't work for you, I'd suggest waiting till between Xmas and New years to make a deal on an '05. If you plan on ordering, to make sure you don't pay for extra options, then it is a little tougher to make a strong deal and you may end up paying more than what you save in depreciation on an '05. And, I'm certain you won't see 1.9% financing on the '05s.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bmwlookerbmwlooker Member Posts: 9
    I am pending a few final decisions on which dealership sign with on a BMW X3, 2.5 lease.
    - Premium and cold package, upgrade paint scheme.

Details:
    Sell Price= 35,115
    MSRP - $37,295
    $500 over invoice. But I was told about some $150 training fee (???) by BMW and of course the $250 MACO, additional. $650 acquisition fee.
    Term 39 months, 15k miles, with .20 over.
    Residual: 22,004.05, 59%
    Rate is .0013 from .0015 offered by them despite bringing up base level of .0011 that is their hold point.

I have another dealer that is proposing $500 over invoice at a .0011 rate factor, but does not have the vehicle in stock that I am interested in and not sure of timeline. Could I get the same vehicle easily through another dealer or could this get messy.

One, seems like a good deal at this point despite the difference of $12/month in payment.

Thoughts?
    The training fee is included in the invoice price you see here on Edmunds or on KBB. It just happens to be broken out on the dealer's actual invoice.. MACO obviously varies from dealer to dealer, but it should be the same at all dealers in a metro area. Your deal looks good, if you can live with the extra $12/month.

I come up with $424.58 + tax for your deal using the .0013 MF. That assumes no cap cost reduction, acquisition fee added into cap cost and only 1st payment and security deposit upfront. Actually, $11.53.mo. less using .0011

I stopped by the dealer today... They had about 20 X3s in stock... I love the BlueWater metallic.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bmwxbmwx Member Posts: 2
    I got on Friday my new X3 2.5 (leased). I am a price sensitive consumer as you will see below.
    In reference to price, I believe I got a decent deal at Invoice+$500. I got a 2.5 with manual transmition, heated leather seats and panorama sunroof. I paid around $1,500 down and $370/month in NY. Difficult to find an SUV with similar characteristics at this price range and to those of you suggesting that leasing is not a good option I strongly disagree given the residual values provided by BMW.

I compared with Toyota (Highlander, 4Runner), Honda Pilot, Acura MDX, Lexus 330, Nissan Murano and Jeep Cherokee.

About the car:
    - Driving experience. If you like a manual shift, it provides an incredible drive. If you don't ... It is time to learn. I test drive the automatic one ... the stick version provides so much power and control.
    - Creaking noise. The car is far from an 'hermetic '. It makes more sounds than a pick-up. Definetly an area of improvement for BMW.
    - Fuel efficiency. After +300 miles, it seams to be fuel efficient enough for an SUV.
    - Interior Space. Great.
    Hope this helps.