Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Welcome Toyota Tundra - V

Comments

• trucksrmetrucksrme Member Posts: 381
    They call this one blowin "factory" smoke, careful in dont be gettin in your eyes now. That tundra have what folks be knowin as that "open" pumpkin, it also be the same pumpkin that be found on them little tacomas now, so watch out! If ya lookin for real truck parts like that limited slip, move on up to a "full size" big3 one now, them the ones with the haul. Good luck on this one now!
  • dogsterdogster Member Posts: 94
    What do you want? A picture of the Class IV hitch on my Limited? You can put a hitch on the Limited as it's rated to tow in 4x4 trim, 7100 lbs. You just can't factory order one due to EPA rules. I couldn't order a Class IV on an F150 either. As far as limited slip, it's not an option currently. However, you can get one aftermarket, through Performance Products if you absolutely think you need one. Then of course, maybe it won't blow up at 75,000 miles like the limited slip in my Ford or at 80,000 miles as the posi-trac in my last Z28.
    Aint never said ya aint got no hitch on your limited one. Just be statin ya cant get No factory hitch on them limited ones. Suspect it got more to do with that haul than that EPA now. As for them ones lastin, ha! That pee-wee mini truck tacoma drivetrain be breakin on ya soon enough now, just do the haul with it some. Use your eyes on this one now! Good luck on this one now!
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I averaged 12 mpg while towing this past week pulling my camping trailer.

I noticed other Tundras while I was there. One had a bigger trailer than mine and the others towed fold-outs and tents. This was no different of a pattern that I saw from the other trucks that were there.

I have almost 17000 on my truck now and it is still amazing to meet people that has never seen one.
  • ferris47ferris47 Member Posts: 131
    Just thought I would let you know Automobile magazine has a very nice write up of the Silverado. They really like it. Just thought I would let you know.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I would like to see a Tundra towing a tent - Sure would save some time - wouldn't have to set it up when you got to the camp site.
    Something about posting stuff near bedtime. Towing a tent would be something to see. Lets change that to hauling a tent.
    Got too agree with ya on this one now. Them tundras be the best ones for "towin" them tents now. They got plenty of haul for that job now. Good luck on this one now!
    The best tent hauler would be one of those crew cab,longbed, duallys. That way you could take a real big tent with multiple rooms.

No wait! How about a Chevy 6500 moving truck. This way it could be intact and without any air hitting it before you get there.

No pun intended z71bill.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Better head for the border. Taco Bell has your order!
  • boyofsummerboyofsummer Member Posts: 2
    About to purchase the Tundra V8 Access Cab (outgrowing my '90 Ford Ranger) and I am torn between a couple of colors. Maybe you all can give me some things to think about.
    First of all, I don't like black, white, or red. I already have a green car. I'm thinking either Thunder Gray or the little seen Stellar Blue Metallic. I really think the blue would be sweet, but have not seen one in the flesh. A buddy of mine noticed that the blue has a pearlcoat, which may be difficult to match if (god forbid) I needed some body work some day. In fact, why are these blue trucks so rare? Has Toyota experienced trouble with this color?
  • boyofsummerboyofsummer Member Posts: 2
    About to purchase the Tundra V8 Access Cab (outgrowing my '90 Ford Ranger) and I am torn between a couple of colors. Maybe you all can give me some things to think about.
    First of all, I don't like black, white, or red. I already have a green car. I'm thinking either Thunder Gray or the little seen Stellar Blue Metallic. I really think the blue would be sweet, but have not seen one in the flesh. A buddy of mine noticed that the blue has a pearlcoat, which may be difficult to match if (god forbid) I needed some body work some day. In fact, why are these blue trucks so rare? Has Toyota experienced trouble with this color?
  • gportergporter Member Posts: 14
    I have a Stellar Blue Pearl SR5-V8-2WD. The only other Tundra in the parking lot of the large manufacturing plant that I work at, is also Stellar Blue. I ordered a A.R.E LSII Fiberglass lid around the 1st of the year, and the paint matched perfectly. I've heard that this is a rare color, but you see them in MN. The truck I test drove spring of 99 was also Stellar Blue. The truck has run flawless for the 6000 miles that I have had it. No paint chips, vibrations, nothing. The gas mileage has been down below 15 for most of the tanks that I've checked, but it came up to 17.75 on an trip I took last weekend. If I wouldn't have stomped on it so much to pass all of them slow farmers, I think I may have been in the 18 -19 range. GREAT TRUCK!!!
    One more time now, lets cover them truths that folks like ya be tryin too blow smoke over:

That tundra be sharin these here parts with them tacomas or t100 ones now: Pumpkin, trannie, transfer case, various trim like door handles and such...

Hitch: Cant get no factory hitch on them limited ones now, verfiy this from edmunds or cliffy (who be sellin em now). Some folk be claimin that EPA for this one, others be sayin it got to do with that limited haul on them ones.

These here simple truths be the fact on them ones, all ya yuppie logic on this and that aint goin change the fact. As for "workin" them trucks on that highway haul, that really be workin em hard now! Reckin folk be "workin" them Caddilacs and such on that haul too now, eh? Guessin ya aint never been on a farm for sure. Yuppies, they just dont be gettin it now. Good luck on this one now!
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Show me one person who has posted anything that indicates the Limited is not capable of towing. If anybody here can produce any credible evidence that the Limited does not come with a hitch due to "haul" concerns, I'll be happy to discuss it. Your ramblings on this are pointless unless you can come up with some backing to your statements.
    Got this off of Edmunds:

DH Towing Receiver Hitch (All Except Limited)

Now, ya be the one who be sellin em, so lets get the facts on this one now.

Question 1 - can I be gettin the hitch on them limited 4 by 4 ones or not? Be answerin this one Yes or No, leave that smoke at that factory if ya can now.

Question2 - Why? If ya be blamin that EPA, please be providin some credible evidence, not some smoke on it like ya normally be doin.

Well cliffy, what say on this one? Dont be expectin no real anwser now, be expectin smoke and quick now. Good luck on this one now!
    I asked if you had any evidence that the Tundra Limited could not tow to its rated 7100 pound capacity. Obviously, you don't.
    Gave ya that edmunds tell on not be able to get that hitch on them limited ones. Fact is the fact, dont hear no deniein of it now. As proof, I gave ya the fact that ya cant get no factory hitch on them limited ones now! No hitch, no haul, even the yuppie should be able too figure that much out now. What say cliffy, nothin but smoke from ya so far. Good luck on this one now!
  • market525market525 Member Posts: 27
    The only smoke on the hitch issue is with you, truckrme. The smoke that obviously fills your head. As I've said before, GET A LIFE!

And please, no more history lessons on free speech.
    Say what ya say, but be noticin that cliffy not be givin a tell on them 2 questions now. The reason? Cuz the truth is the truth, ya cant get no factory hitch on them limited ones, and that EPA be just smoke now. Fact is fact, still waitin on cliffy too be provin it otherwise now. Good luck on this one now!
  • egbakeregbaker Member Posts: 13
    Every once and a while I check on this board only to find that the bull is continuing.

Trucksr:Read my lips!!! The Tundra towing capability doesn't change with the trim package(SR5 vs Limited) its the SAME that is, the S.A.M.E truck.

Getting back to my original topic, I believe a quite a few of the recent contributors haven't found out that WWII is over and a large percentage of American name products are made partially or completely elsewhere.

However, its no surprise to me that the Tundra is a serious contender, if unbiased reliability data is your guide, read Consumer Reports issues on any recent Toyota. I did and bought the most reliable truck(which happened to be a Toyota) and have not regreted it for a second.

My T100 is a very reliable truck.
  • rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    I do not know who stated that you can't get a tow hitch with a Tundra limited, but I'm pretty sure you can. When at the Toyota dealer lately, every single Tundra on the lot had a tow hitch, including the Limiteds! Also, I checked on 2 different websites, and they both show that you can get one on a Limited.
    Got this off of Edmunds:

Cliffy be knowin the truth on them limited ones, just go on back through these here posts too find em speakin on it. Fact is the fact. Good luck on this one now!
    Do you believe everything the National Enquirer says also? Try those other web sites. Toyota was appealing the EPA ruling. Perhaps they won. As I said, I have the Class IV on my Limited and it tows just fine. Since I'm going to be towing on the I-15 next weekend, I'll count the big 3 trucks sitting by the side of the road for you. Also, when is a boat a "yuppie" toy? And while we're at it, I own a 100 acre farm in SC. You must not work much on your farm, if you really do. Because all you do is sit on Tundra boards and try to snow everyone.
  • crewcab2crewcab2 Member Posts: 2
    cliffy,

could toyota have plans to build a true 4 door,(crew cab) pickup using the seqouia platform?
    Lets just wait and see what that clifffy tells on this one. Hopin he gives the answer, blow that smoke outa ya eyes for ya. As for them boats bein for yuppies, figure that one out for ya self now. Good luck on this one now!
  • devil1devil1 Member Posts: 74
    This limited hitch thing you keep talking about over and over is so rediculous. The limited is the same thing as the regular Tundra but it has leather and painted fender flairs and a couple other bells and whistles. It's comparable to a Lariat for the F-150. It has NOTHING to do with towing.
    Got this off of Edmunds:

If there be no difference, then be explainin this one from that Edmunds site. Good luck on this one now!
    Still waitin on cliffy to be answerin them 2 questions now. Be noticin how he be quiet, not wantin too be explainin that truth on them limited ones and that hitch. So much for that truth now, eh cliffy? Good luck on this one now!
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Here is some numbers that may interest you: I got
    these numbers from www.carpoint.com:

My "mini-size" pickup will actually haul more
    than the Silverado: The Tundra Access cab V8 4WD
    hauls 1680 lbs. and the Silverado extended cab V8
    4WD short bed is only rated for 1603 lbs. Seems
    like so-called "full-size" will not haul as much.
    What does this make the Silverado - "micro-size"?

Those Silverados should be good for hauling a
    couple bags of groceries or in trucksrus' case a
    couple of cartons of cigarettes. It is too bad
    Chevy decided to make such a wimpy truck. Not much competition for Toyota. Better luck next time!
    Them Silverados 1/2 ones be rated at 1965 lbs now. Got this one at www.chevrolet.com which be the factual place to get them facts. Folks that work them trucks aint given no heed too them limited ones now, as they aint got no haul in em. Just use your eyes on this one, they be 1/3 the size of them big3 full size ones for sure. Get that factory smoke outa your eyes now, do that compare. Give them eyeball, see for yourself on this one now. Even the yuppie should be able too figure this one out now. Good luck on this one now!
  • kirbytkirbyt Member Posts: 39
    Today's article by Edmunds is a great forecast of this about what the Tundra's done to the market place. See their link:
    http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/editorial/features/japanesepu/japanesepu.html?id=nl
    I was fishing yesterday and towed my 4200 pound boat for 4 hours with my Limited and was not able to respond to your lunatic ramblings. I am actually trying right now to get our internal documents on this. When I do, what will you say about the Tundra? Will you promise to quit this foolishness? Will you admit that you are wrong. Will you go away?
    No body at Toyota could provide me with the actual EPA rulings on this matter but here is what I have.

On May 28, 1999, Toyota sent a Parts and Accessories Bulletin to the dealership (PANT 99-20, Accessories). The text is as follows:

"Receiver Hitch Towning Kit (class 4)- EPA restrictions.
    all tundra V8 models may have a PPO (Post production option) tow receiver hitch installed with the exception of the Tundra V8 Limited 4x4 (Model 7838). Due to EPA weight class certification limits, the factory will not equip, and dealers and PD's may not install, a tow hitch on the Tundra Limited 4x4 (Model 7838). Failure to comply with this restriction may affect the EPA certification of the vehicle. Please note that a DIO receiver hitch towing kit will not be available.

"The receiver towing kit, for all models except for the 7838, will initially be available at a 33% installation rate and then ramp up over time to meet all PPO orders.

"TMS will offer replacement Tundra tow hitches and wiring harnesses for warranty and collision repair only. an order control of one part per day for the hitch and wiring harness will be in effect, to discourage ordering for installation on Model 7838."

I also spoke to my district rep who call David Christ in distribution. The EPA has strict rules about emissions. By adding a hitch, you add weight and therefore reduce emissions. The Tundra was on the edge of the "Low Emission Vehicle" standard and if the hitch were available on all models, the Tundra would not rate "LEV". It was decided to keep the hitch off only the 7838s and that was enough to keep them in compliance. None of this prevents an owner from buying an aftermarket hitch and installing it

OK, now I provided the evidence for my argument. Trucksrme, you need to come up with a different song or provide evidence to support your theory that the Limited is incapable of towing up to its 7100 pound rating.
  • rushfan2112rushfan2112 Member Posts: 27
    I knew for a fact (as did many of us) that the Limited CAN have a factory hitch installed and the above post suggests that only the 4X4 Limited cannot have the hitch added. The interesting part is that the Limited is more of an "appearance" package (leather, wood grain, etc.). My SR5 4X4 came with the factory installed hitch and wiring harness. Good thing I didn't want leather and wood-grain!

A HUGE thank you to cliffy for actaully researching this for us. Ol' trucksrme should learn that you can't keep using the same vague quote from edmunds.com regarding towing with the Limited. Of course, that's just his style. He just goes with whatever "information" aligns with his biases regardless of the source. He says that the manufacturer (www.chevrolet.com in his case) is the "factual place for getting the facts". Of course, when Tundra owners cite Toyota's website/figures, he just accuses us of having that factory smoke in our eyes (or some such nonsense).

You may as well just give it up, trucksrme. We can all see right through you. You exhibit the same behavior pattern over and over and over with those worn-out responses. Nothing else besides intense jealousy could possibly be the motivation behind your actions. It's unstandable coming from a chevy owner. We won't hold it against you. Just don't hold our good fortune against us.
  • jingojingo Member Posts: 10
    Can't find any Tundras 4x4's with ABS in Florida and am told that Southeast Toyota feels customers do not want to pay for this option so they don't order it. What??!!! ABS is STANDARD on many vehicles today and it's ludicrous that I cannot find one in the entire state? Consumer Reports had trouble getting one in October 99 too so I'm wondering if this is a nationwide problem?
    I'll tell you what I was told by our distribution guys. let me first say that I disagree with them and told them as much. It is their opinion that this is a very price sensitive market and the cost of ABS would hurt sales. They believe (as does TMS) that the value of ABS is not so high. ABS has not shown to reduce the frequency nor severity of accidents and so why should they put costly equipment onto the trucks.

I personally like ABS although I have never had opportunity to need them. The Tundra does come with a load sensing proportion valve which reduces the chances of rear wheel lockup by keeping most the braking pressure on the front until the bed is loaded down.

Every region is responsible for ordering trucks for their area. In the Central Atlantic region, there are some SR5 and Limited models with ABS but the percentage is small.
    ABS as far as I'm concerned should be a mandatory safety feature on cars not something some distribution bean counter does a cost or profit analysis on. They put $300 chrome step bars on the tundra but not $600 ABS. My guess is that there is less profit for the distributors/dealers on ABS as compared to the other frivolous options so it is not included. I have a 99 F350 Ford with 4 wheel anti-lock discs, had a 93 Ford Ranger with rear wheel anti-lock and my wife's car a 1994 Eagle has 4 wheel anti-lock discs. To promote your company as building high quality, safe vehicles and then to not offer any vehicles with ABS to the public borders on being reckless and irresponsible. Shame on you Toyota or Southeast Toyota whichever is responsible for the lack of ABS availability on the Tundra!

Very dissapointed in Florida and looking elsewhere for a vehicle!
    Lets be recallin them questions first:

Question 1 - can I be gettin the hitch on them
    limited 4 by 4 ones or not?

Question2 - Why? If ya be blamin that EPA, please
    be providin some credible evidence.

Now lets clear the smoke on cliffys answers!

Question 1 - Yep, ya cant get no factory hitch on them limited ones now! This be what I be sayin all along, now got folks agreein too this fact at last!

Question 2 - Same old EPA smoke, no proof, just smoke blowin! This be what I expectin, still no answer as to why!

Conclusion:
    Ya cant get no factory hitch on them limited ones, and this be the fact. It still be the mystery as too why now. Some folk be blamin that EPA, some folk be blamin that haul. Still got us the mystery on this one now, but cleared up the fact that ya cant get no factory hitch on them limited ones for sure. Good luck on this one now!
    It seems to me that you are the only one blaming the haul. Let's also discuss what the issue is. You have implied that the factory wouldn't put a hitch on a Limited due to concerns about its ability to tow. This is crap and you know it. I have never disputed the fact that you can't get a hitch on a Limited 4x4 (but you can on a 4x2) but I dispute your implication that it has anything to do with towing ability.

I don't claim that the EPA rules make even a small amount of sense. They clearly don't and this isn't the first time they have caused problems for Toyota.

Now why are you so fixated on factory hitches anyway? What is so great about a hitch from the factory rather than an aftermarket one? My aftermarket one does just fine. The Tundra comes standard with a transmission oil cooler so all you need to add is the wiring harness and receiver. No big deal. Now post something intelligent or go away.
    send me an e-mail if you are serious about going outside of SET for a Tundra with ABS. sclifford@alexandriatoyota.com
    Good too see ya be admittin that ya cant get no factory hitch on them limited ones now. Believe Quadrunner500 and some other folks was banterin on bout the haul on them ones and that lack of that hitch. I aint the only one not buyin into that EPA smoke now. Fact is the fact on this one. Still waitin for some fact on that hitch mystery now. Blamin that EPA without now proof be meanin little too them that works them trucks now. Course them yuppies be buyin into that EPA one now quick, but this too be expected now. Good luck on this one now!
    Is that lack of that ABS got too do with that EPA now? Bet that EPA not be allowin that ABS for sure now. Seems some folks was blamin that EPA for this one too now! Good luck on this one now!
    1) Have a hitch on my Limited 4x4. 2) Putting ABS on a lot of vehicles when a region of consumers aren't willing to pay for it would be dumb marketing. By the way, TrucksRme, didn't your screen name used to be RuBlueeToo and until you got banned from Edmunds?
  • chrietzbergchrietzberg Member Posts: 7
    I use my Tundra for commuting and light hauling as well as an occasional haul of a 16' flatbed trailer. I am electrical contractor and haul light by the nature of my work. My comments regarding the best product are based on my experiences with a '99 Tahoe from an earlier posting on this page and Toyota's general reputation for longevity. The Tahoe was a disaster and GM did not handle it well. I also have a '91 Chevy S-10 with 185,000 miles on it with the original clutch and motor so I know what you are talking about. It is obvious that it is too early to evaluate the Tundra but the Toyota rep is what lured me to them. Time will tell. Each and every vehicle you buy is a crap shoot as is life. You can get good ones and you can get bad ones from any auto maker. My comment, "best product" was a general comment about following quality and not just blind loyalty. It could apply to many other auto makers besides Toyota.
    How come vehicles from every manufacturer you can imagine sell vehicles (lot's of vehicles) in Florida with ABS except for Toyota and the Tundras?

Should a marketing decision potentially cost people their lives?

The fact is I will not buy a Tundra without ABS and will look elsewhere. There are oodles of Fords, Chevys and most every other make you can imagine selling vehicles with ABS in Florida. Toyota should scrap some of their "eye candy" options on this vehicle and add one that can truly save lives: ABS

I do not want to wind up sliding toward the back end of a semi in one of Florida's notorious thunderstorms because some greedy jerk or group of jerks took it upon themselves to withhold anti-lock braking from my vehicle.

If this is a marketing decision it is asinine and I hope it gets some negative press and attention and embarrasses the parties responsible. I'll be sure to write Consumer's Reports and make them aware of this. Maybe they will withdraw their favorable rating of this vehicle until ABS is widely available.
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    Good point, there was ony one time when I absolutely needed my ABS but I'm glad I have ABS. And they say that ABS is used even when you dont realize its kicked in.

Anyway, good point: ABS should be standard. It is on my GM and by making it standard it also lowers the price of it. And from what I hear about the price of the tundra.........full size price for a mid size. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure this out.
  • crewcab2crewcab2 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard of any plans by toyota to build a conventional 4 door crew cab tundra now that they have the sequoia platform to work from?
    As I said, I have a Class IV and it tows just fine. Read the posts above. ABS is a marketing decision. Perhaps Toyota doesn't make it standard because not everyone wants to pay for ABS. Perhaps it's because Toyota owners actually USE THEIR TRUCKS OFF-ROAD instead of jacking them 6 feet off the ground and chroming everything underneath. It's a well known fact that ABS increases your stopping distance in snow, mud and loose dirt - many off-road enthusiast out here DON'T want ABS. By the way, when's the last time you took your hunk of junk off-road, besides a cow field? And while you're at it, you haven't responded to a lot of points that I've made in my posts. Perhaps because my points are valid and yours are pure b.s? OH YEAH, I FORGOT. There was a recent MASSIVE RECALL ON GM PRODUCTS WITH ANTILOCK BRAKES. Good luck on that one now - literally. JINGO - call the Toyota Customer Service 800 line and I'm sure you can get your Tundra with antilock brakes.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I am a local 103 electrician up here in Boston, great job with great people,Good luck on your choice of pickup.
This discussion has been closed.