Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Maintenance and Repair

jimg2jimg2 Member Posts: 3
Have 2004 1500 z71 w/off road packg.over even slight bumps it sounds like a broken shock nocking/thumping noise. I found when I push against the cross member that connects the torsion bars to the frame with my foot I get the noise . The dealer 2x says nothing wrong. It is obviously loud. rubber mounts don't look broken any others have the same problem out there ? thank you

Comments

• jimg2jimg2 Member Posts: 3
    Have a 2004 1500ls when it shifts to 2nd sometimes it bangs in and other times it's fine. when i accelerate a little heavier it seems to shift 2x in second gear.I feel it shift to 2nd then a hesitation(not a slip)then I feel it catch. It seems as if there is 2 sets of 2nd gear clutch packs, one goes in then the other. dealer says within specs. no problem found any others out there with same problem? jim
  • jboggzjboggz Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Z-71 recently started making a sound similar to an oil can popping. It almost sounds like it is coming from the gas tank. It makes the sound quite often even after the car is turned off. It's pretty loud too. Anyone had this problem before?
  • jboggzjboggz Member Posts: 2
    Another noise problem with my 2002 Tahoe Z-71 is the front end squeaks and is most noticeable at low speeds.
  • k71k71 Member Posts: 1
    Have a new '05 Z71 and have had difficulty with the memory seats. Neither the drivers side memory buttons (1 or 2) seem to maintain the saved setting, nor do the keys or remote. Wanted to see if anyone else is having a similar problem with the '05. Also wondering if I correct in assuming the the remote controls should be able to trigger the memory setting as well as the driver memory buttons - my understanding from the sales person.
  • mwkinneymwkinney Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Tahoe also with the same type of noise. Have you found the solution yet?
  • mwoldmwold Member Posts: 2
    I too just purchased an '05 Z71 Tahoe. I have been able to have the memory buttons remember my seating positions.

Whe I first looked at a Tahoe early last week, the salesman is the one who directly told me that the the remotes were labeled #1 and #2. And that when Driver #1 used Remote #1 that the Tahoe would use Driver Memory #1. And the same for the #2 drive/remote/memory. But I'll be damned if I can make it work or find any reference to it in the manual.

If you find any informaiton on this, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    M. Wold
    Elburn, IL
    mark.wold - at - gmail.com
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Memory Seat
    (buttons located on driver's door, round, marked 1 and 2)
    These buttons are used to program and recall memory settings for the driver's seat, throttle and brake pedals and both the driver's and passenger's outside mirrors. The settings for these features can be saved for up to two drivers.

To store the settings, do the following:

While the vehicle is in PARK (P), adjust the driver's seat, including the seatback recliner, lumbar, and side wing area, throttle and brake pedals and both of the outside mirrors to your preference.
    Press and hold the 1 or 2 button of the memory control for three seconds. A double chime will sound to let you know that the position has been stored.
    To repeat the procedure for a second driver, follow the preceding steps, but press the other numbered memory control button.

Each time button 1 or 2 is pressed and released while the vehicle is in PARK (P), a single chime will sound and the memory position will be recalled.

To stop recall movement of the memory seat feature at any time, press one of the memory buttons or power seat controls.

Easy Exit Seat
    The controls for this memory function are located on the driver's door.

(Easy Exit Seat):
    (oval button with picture of car and arrow)
    This button is used to program and recall the desired driver's seat position when exiting/entering the vehicle. The seat position can be saved for up to two drivers.

To store the seat exit position, do the following:

Press and release the 1 or 2 button. The seat will move to the stored memory position.
    Adjust the seat to the desired exit position.
    Press and hold the exit button of the memory control for three seconds. A double chime will sound to let you know that the position has been stored for the selected button (1 or 2).
    To repeat the procedure for a second driver, follow the preceding steps, but press the other numbered memory control button.

To use the seat exit position, press the exit button on the memory control.

I bugged the salesmen up front about the remotes. Newer Tahoes/Suburbans/Trailblazers do not have a connection between the remotes and seat memory. Now you have to push the button on the door to get the seat to move to your favorite position. They tell me it's been that way for a couple of years.
  • jimg2jimg2 Member Posts: 3
    With my truck, after the steering shaft was replaced something sqeaked at low speeds.dealer lubed the bushing where the shaft goes thru the firewall.It squeaked again a few days later, I found it to be the emergency brake cable where it goes into the firewall.sounds like front end. WD40 and no squeak.
  • jad27jad27 Member Posts: 12
    I just got an '05 Envoy and was told the same thing from the dealer. Found out later that starting with the '05 model year, you cannot recall the memory seats using the remote, you MUST push the 1 or 2 on the door. This is VERY inconvenient and a BIG step backwards.

Dealer also told me that enough people complained about this new "feature" on the escalade, and GM rewrote the software to include the recall from remote function. I have been complaining to GM for weeks now, hopefully they will fix it for my Envoy.
  • debri81debri81 Member Posts: 1
    GM says this is normal. It is your muffler. Mine did it for years.. I have a '01. Eventually it went away. A GM mechanic said he could replace the muffler but it would just be louder because the muffler was new. A design flaw. Nothing is wrong or dangerous. But I now what you mean. It is loud. I have two little ones and this made it annoying getting the sleeping beauties out of the car without waking up... ;-)
  • rumblefish73rumblefish73 Member Posts: 1
    The noise you are hearing is coming from the muffler expanding and contracting. Some do it worse than others. Problem heard on both a 2001 GMC Yukon and a 2001 Chevy Tahoe.
  • kbaileykbailey Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 1995 Tahoe, how do you fix it?
  • whalerz71whalerz71 Member Posts: 1
    I was wanting to install a set of lights on the rear end of my luggage rack on a 2002 tahoe z71. Can anyone tell me what kind of bulbs to use and if anyone has tried this before?
  • tsal54tsal54 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new Z71 and when I drive under 1500 rpm's pressing on the gas I feel scratchiness or something. I had a ford and at 76000 I have never felt that type of pressure. When we test drove tahoes the drive was ALWAYS smooth no heavy feeling when pressing the gas but this one feels totally different. Took it to the dealer service and they said as it aquires more miles and breaks itself in it will change. But he said he really didnt feel anything out of the ordinary. Im at over 500 miles and it still bothers me that I dont have a smooth quite ride.
  • 05z05z Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Z71 heated seats worked fine for the 1st 3 months of use. Now they turn off 30 seconds after they have been turned on. Anyone have a similar problem/solution?

C
  • yoppsteryoppster Member Posts: 1
    Just traded my '02 Bravada with the "old feature" for a '05. I agree that pushing a button on the door is inane when the capability of programming the seat recall funtion activated by the remote is available. Did your dealer respond? Is there a service bulletine number?
  • jad27jad27 Member Posts: 12
    TSB number: 04-08-128-002 Sept 2004
    "Changes to personalization features"

It just explains that they are trying to simplify the personalization and memory features starting in 2005. It goes on to say that this is an engineering change and no repairs should be attempted.

All they have to do is update the software. I have called GMC and complained a few times. Hopefully enough people will complain and they will do something.

The dealers response was that it was gone.... And also they told me that enough people already complained about the Escalade and they rewrote the software for it. Hopefully they do the same for us too.
  • aj76aj76 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Suburban with 40,000 mi. With the climate control on upon acceleration there is a rattling sound coming from the engine . It sounds like the fan hitting the shroud but I checked and there is full clearance. This does not happen with the a/c off. I suspect the compressor. The dealer has no clue and I am past warranty. Any ideas?
  • PS2PS2 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2004 z 71 in Nov 2003. To this date I have had it in to shop multiple times for a clicking/ticking/engine knock. Noise is especially noticeable in the mornings after starting tahoe and letting it run for 5 minutes. I am being told that it is "normal" engine noise and that engines were built "looser". Anyone else out there haveing this problem? The engine sounds like it has a piston or lifter tapping/knocking. I know I wouldn't buy another one if the engine sounded like this one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :confuse:
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Here ya go...it is common on these motors and you are not alone. The dealer is repeating what he has been told to say.

Engine - Knocking on Cold Start Explanation

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 01-06-01-028A

Date: March, 2003

INFORMATION
    Subject:
    Engine Knock on Cold Start

Models:
    1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup and Utility Models
    2002 Cadillac Escalade (2WD)
    with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINS V, T, Z, U - RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LQ4)

This bulletin is being revised to add an additional engine to the models section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-028 (Section 06-Engine).

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit an engine knock noise that begins in the first 19,000-24,000 km (12,000-15,000 mi) of use. The knock noise is most often noticed during initial start-up and typically disappears within the first 5-30 seconds (may last longer in extreme cold temperatures). The noise is usually more noticeable on the initial start-up when the temperature is below 10°C (50°F) and may be more pronounced on the first cold start following a long trip.

This noise may be caused by an interaction between carbon that has formed on the piston, the piston motion and the cylinder wall. GM Powertrain Engineering, and an analysis of engines with this condition, has confirmed that the noise is not detrimental to the performance, reliability or durability of the engine.

THIS NOISE DOES NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE LONGEVITY OF ANY OF THE ENGINE COMPONENTS.
    Important: At this time, attempts to repair this condition by replacing the engine assembly or pistons are not recommended.

Please share the information found in this bulletin with customers who inquire about this condition. In the event they have additional questions or concerns, please advise your Area Service Manager.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    I have a friend who owned a 1998 Silverado 1500 and it had this same ticking noise - not from new, but over the 5 years he had it the noise was there for the last three at least. He now has a 2003 Tahoe and it is quiet thus far.... Sorry I cannot help you diagnose it, but it did not seem to affect the vehicle's performance. The sound was VERY noticable though and normal or not, I would not prefer to have it. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • PS2PS2 Member Posts: 3
    I just had my 2004 Z 71 in for service and was told there was a software update that would take care of the heated seats problem. My seats had started coming on on their own. After they updated the software haven't had the problem since. Might give your dealership a call. This update also supposedly took care of the "service 4WD message" that displays for no reason on occasion. I believe they also told me it was supposed to take care of the memory seat problem as well. Will keep you posted on whether the "bugs" come back. Hope this helps. :sick:
  • chevhdz71chevhdz71 Member Posts: 1
    Everytime I drive off road my truck will die on me and after an hour or so it starts right up then dies untill i get back on normal road i guess whenever it gets shookin up it dies has this happened to anyone else i need help fixin this i hate goin out in a field with buddies and my tahoe dies on the way out there
    thanks
  • jkisnerjkisner Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Tahoe with 41,000 miles with the same problem and the A/C for the rear compartment stopped working. All this happened on a drive back from Arizona to Los Angeles.

I took it in and they said that a value was clogged and the noise is just the fuel injectors pulsating. Well, three days later, the A/C goes out and the noise is still there.

Come to find it, the compressor it going out. Had to get it replaced today. $1300 later, ($500 a week ago and $800 today)
  • 5omike5omike Member Posts: 1
    I have put 500 miles on my new Tahoe LT and I hear a whining sound which increases as I accelerate 1st to 2nd gear, and diminishing in cruise. At times it is louder and I am not sure if this is normal or a precursor to more serious issues . I don't recall hearing this sound when test driving. I'm also hearing a periodic swooshing sound when my A/C is on, does not affect it's function but the sound is annoying. Could it be the compressor failing? I appreciate all advice, thanks.
  • 1k91k9 Member Posts: 1
    Jimg2,

I am also having a squeak or rattle under the dash area of my 2003 Tahoe. Looked everywhere, can't find it. Exactly where did you lubricate the emergency brake cable? Is it under the carpet area? Thanks
  • jeff00jeff00 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2000 tahoe 7z1 with 54000 miles. I see on here that most problems start at 60,000. can someone tell me what I should look for. And what average gas mileage is everyone getting out there with the 5.7?

Thanks Jeff
  • kcarkcar Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for feedback on why a Tahoe with 136,000 miles rear end would break apart. Just put two new tires on the front end but not the back. Had new pinion seal and exhaust system replaced. A few days later the truck would not drive and the mechanic said the rear end had broken apart. Where is best place to buy replacement?
  • utdmanutdman Member Posts: 1
    99 Tahoe
    When I start for the first time in the morning it will start and them cough and die. Time seems to fix it till the next morning
  • iamnotageekiamnotageek Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if you can add the XM Radio service to a radio that did not come with it...I want it to be just like the radio in the vehicle, but have the XM service as well...do I just plug an antenna in to the back of the vehicle? I have a brand new 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71 4x4 with the off-road package.
  • possum2possum2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Tahoe with 28K. Recently the CARGO HATCH AJAR warning comes on as I'm driving down the road. With it comes the door unlock and the dome light. It goes off as soon as it came on. Does it esp. when I am tuurning right, and when I hit a bump going uphill. Doing it more and more frequently. Any ideas?
  • tahoe_swedentahoe_sweden Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I own a Tahoe Z71 2005. I live in Sweden, I can´t use the OnStar system in this country. But I can use the antenna!! Is there anyone how knows where the phonesystem is located in the car, so I can disconnect the antenna and use it for the Swedish system??
    Best regards
    Tahoe_Sweden
  • autocrimeautocrime Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2005 chevy suburban i have the problem with the memory seats it does not work with the remote 1 or 2 a chevy dealer told me they do not have the software yet. dose anyone know when the software will be out. or have any info
  • autocrimeautocrime Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2005 chevy suburban i have the problem with the memory seats it does not work with the remote 1 or 2 a chevy dealer told me they do not have the software yet. dose anyone know when the software will be out. or have any info
  • the_docthe_doc Member Posts: 1
    Hey My Friend,

I just bought an XM commander for my Tahoe Z 71. For about 85.00, it was install at circuit city. I bought it off e-bay for 70.00 (total). If you by the whole unit, new it will cost you 170.00 plus installation. My suggestion, is to get the XM commander unt, it looks factory when installed right, and the sound is awesome. Let me know how it goes!
  • redcat1833redcat1833 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone stuffed their Z71 into the side of a ditch? It appears that the Suburban front end is "tacoed". The gap on the top of the front doors is much smaller than the gap at the bottom of the front doors and the hood seems a bit higher. It drives fine. Is anyone else disappointed by the "off road" capabilities of their Z71? Can anyone guess how much this is going to cost? :cry:

Thanks.
  • lsufan6970lsufan6970 Member Posts: 10
    My 2003 Suburban Z71 does something really fancy. On occasions, when I enter the vehicle and stick the key in the ignition, the seat moves me ALL the way forward into the steering wheel. I guess the memory seats are screwed up or something. It only happens every now and then, so I'm waiting for something else to go wrong before I bring it in. On another note, I was wondering if anyone has boosted there performance beyond the air intake and power programmer stage. I've done both along with the thermostat and other minor improvements. I'm looking toward a turbo kit I found for around $5000. Has anyone put something like this on their vehicle? I want speed.
  • fwhitefwhite Member Posts: 2
    I have an ' 02 Tahoe with just over 20k. At low speeds when turning corners I'm getting a light clunking noise which I can feel through the wheel. Dealer told me it's normal on Tahoe's but I drove a couple different one's and they didn't do it. Is this normal and just cowl shake or could this be a major problem. Nothing seems loose but I am concerned as my wife drives this truck alot.
  • 02tahoez7102tahoez71 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2002 tahoe Z71, I am also worried because this is my wifes car and she drives our new baby in it. I have had the dealership and the tire shop both look for the problem and they can't find anything. It is driving me crazy. If you find the problem please email my wife @ heathersland@aol.com! Thank you :confuse:
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Do a search on steering clunks and you will find a long list of complaints. Its common. Most dealers are fixing it. It has to do with the intermediate steering shaft. From what I know it is NOT a safety issue and nothing will break or cause the truck not to go.... its just a noise that nobody likes.

We had it with our 03....

--jay
  • kagz71kagz71 Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone else had there stereo say "XM ERROR" even though you don't subscribe to XM, I told the dealer, they said no problem was found, this was also when I told them the Information center keeps telling me the liftgate is open and the power fold mirrors dont fold out, but nothing was found wrong there either.

Also, anyone had the torsion bars adjusted? I complained three times that the front end was too low, they finally put it on the machine and said "did you know the front end was 2 inches too low?"

Thanks for the input

-KAG
  • sprigmosprigmo Member Posts: 1
    Need clarification on the low/high side fittings locations to recharge my ac.
    Any help appreciated much.
  • taho02taho02 Member Posts: 3
    My 02 tahoe had the same problem It was the mid level steering shaft there is a TSB on this. This clunk started out very mild at 15k miles on mainly right hand turns but by 36k Miles it was very clunky on all turns. Dealer fixed on warranty no more clunk rides great.
  • radelradel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado that is making a popping noise all the time, driving it around town and when I shut it off too. I thought it was the fuel tank but it sounds like I might have the same problem. There is nothing that can be done about it? Is it dangerous?
  • captaincabcaptaincab Member Posts: 1
    Just had a break down the dealer said the ecm ground vibrated loose. does anyone know where its located. I have a 2005 Z71 tahoe.
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    I had the same problem with seat position recall in my '04 Tahoe. Because of this I didn't use the easy access function.

There is a fix for this problem now. It is a software update, which I had done to my truck 2 weeks ago. I have not seen any problem yet and I'm using the easy access function now. It used to malfunction about 25% of time. Not once yet in two weeks.

Below link takes to GM-tech page where this is explained amongst other issues

http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/issues/jul05/TLjul05e.html#story17

They should fix is for free even if your truck would be outside warranty I would think. In the GM-tech page it clearly says that they found it to be a software issue. This means that whoever has the memory seat with this problem never had it correctly working, which should mean they'll fix it for free.

--Arrie--
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    In my '04 Tahoe there are two grounding points, both are on the engine. One is on right side and the other on left side. Don't remember exact location but they both are on top part of engine close to back end of engine. One of them I think is behind the engine so you can not see it but can touch if you know where it is.

My dealer service printed a document that showed the locations. Reason for two grounding points is that there are two big connectors to computer and I guess they both have a ground.

--Arrie--
  • drhowelldrhowell Member Posts: 2
    We have a new Tahoe with vibration in front end that causes hood dash and steering wheel to chatter severely.
    Had it Road Force Balance and it made it worse?
    Dealer is looking at a problem called "beaming".
    Something to do with the frame and idler arm installations at the factory.
    Anyone have any information on Beaming or other cause for this symptom?
  • cwilsoncwilson Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 Tahoe Z71 with 56K miles. So far, I really like the vehicle, but the oil and voltage gauges concern me. Whenever I start the truck, the oil pressure gauge jumps up to about 60 (3/4 of the way up). The volts starts out normal. After the truck runs for a few minutes, the oil pressure gauge goes up when I accelerate and drops a little when I get into a higher gear. The oil gauge "floats" up and down depending on how hard the engine is working. The volts gauge creeps up over time to about 3/4 and hold there.

Is this normal? Is the oil gauge supposed to be up that high and floating or is my truck all jacked up? Is the volts gauge supposed to be reading at 3/4 as well?
  • bobs05denalibobs05denali Member Posts: 2
    I was under the impression the remotes would trigger the seat memory as well. Why would the remotes be labeled if that wasn't the intention. Unfortunately they don't on my '05 Denali.