Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Diesel Maintenance and Repair

faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
Some have had EGR problems and oil leaks.

Comments

• faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    THIS WAS A DUMB IDEA OF A "NEWBIE"! AS YOU CAN SEE THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE LIBERTY DIESEL!

Farout
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The Liberty CRD deserves a new start. It is now back in the diesel list where it belongs.
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    I am not so sure about that. There have been issues with the CRD, EGR valve, leaks, software, so this is not such a bad idea.
  • jrn3jrn3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this forum ... so be kind.

Bought a Jeep Liberty CRD Diesel in July 2005. The problem started in January 2006.

The malfunction indicator light continues to come on. Jeep CRD has been serviced twice in Feb for this problem.

Jeep has 9500 miles on it.

Light would come on solid for a few days and then go off. Repeat. Never blinked on and off.

Serviced Feb 14 - adjusted turbo. Light was off.

Two days later light back on - then off - then on.

Serviced Feb 24 - replaced air flow intake sensor part nbr 53013733AB.

Light off. 100 miles of city and country driving - back on.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Your comments will be appreciated.
  • patentguypatentguy Member Posts: 45
    Take a look at this.

MIL
    Hey this is a really good site! Thanks for the tip.

Farout
  • commonrailazcommonrailaz Member Posts: 8
    dunno if you'll read this == kinda old, but I had serious electrical problems of the kind you describe. I can look at my service receipts if still a concern . . . they had to replace a wiring box or something of the sort.
  • ramdoug2002ramdoug2002 Member Posts: 3
    I am buying a 2006 Liberty CRD. Discussed the exended warranties with the finance guy.
    Offer $1836.00 for extension to 7yr / 70,000 miles.
    I indicated I might have a problem with that as I bought a Buick Lesabre two years back and paid $1635.00 for extended 5 yr /100,000 mile warranty.
    Their selling point was the diesel extended warranties are higher and that this was a 4 wd vehicle.
    I tend to keep a car for a while but I sure don't want to be sucker punched for paying too much for the extended comprehensive warranty.
    Any body had an experiece getting prices on the Libert CRD extended warranty packages ?
    Thanks
  • bvcrdbvcrd Member Posts: 196
    If you have GEICO insurance, they have a mechanical break down policy that costs 10 bucks a month, and has a $250 deductible and it covers ALL systems. Might want to check it out. I have it. I figuer I won't miss the $10 a month, and I only have to pay the 250 IF I need it. No gouge up the ars that way. Extended warrantys are good if you need them, but the stealership rakes in the big bucks on them.
  • janey1janey1 Member Posts: 2
    Own a 2004 Jeep Liberty. Wheel fell off going 15 mph. After researching on internet I found this is a common problem and that 2002 and 2003's have been recalled.

Spoke to Chrysler about paying for this and they said no because warranty is up. This is a safety issue and many people are having this problem. Thank God I was not on the highway when this happened.

Chyrsler will no doubt make a recall on the 2004 and someone will be injured in the meantime.

I urge everyone to have this problem looked at and contact Chysler as well as the U.S. Dept. of Transportation/National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to read about this problem as well as register a complaint if you had a similar problem occur.
    The matter is under investigation by this board and no doubt a recall will occur.

But at what cost?
  • libertybellelibertybelle Member Posts: 2
    (I am also new to forums.) Did you ever get this problem fixed? I am currently experiencing an almost identical problem. Jeep has been in dealer's shop 3+ weeks. 2005 Liberty Diesel purchased July 2005, problem started Feb 2006, 6000 miles.
  • bvcrdbvcrd Member Posts: 196
    At least yours is under warranty. What exactly are they telling you?
  • corndogcorndog Member Posts: 8
    Am still having problems with our 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel
    has less than 8,000 miles on it the shudder problem I spoke of before. Where when you are driving between 55 to 65 mph it shudders or cuts out like the transmission is trying to shift plus blower motor burned up. Also the tires are bad the ply must be really thin we have had two tires hit rocks and they have puntured the tire and are unrepairable because it has separated the ply inside. These are goodyears. We already need to replace them. Jeep the heap as we now call it is presently in the shop for the 7th time within 5 months time. :P
  • libertybellelibertybelle Member Posts: 2
    After replacing the same sensor (sorry, don't know what one) twice, they now say it needs a power-train control module. We're still waiting for it to come in. Time will tell if it fixes the problem...
  • italiawolfitaliawolf Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2005 Diesel Liberty. Last year the malf. indicator light came on constantly and the car killed on me several times, and it was always difficult to start up after it killed. I later found out that it was the EGR valve and it got stuck in the open position and it was like their was a huge vacuum leak, thus the shudder, engine kill, and difficulty starting. The local dealership changed it out and it helped for a little while. Now I'm having similiar problems - it kills more often now, but the malf. indicator light DOES NOT come on. I brought it to the Service Department the other day and they said it needed a software upgrade. They did that, but it did not solve the problem. Has anyone had an EGR valve need to be replaced twice. It seems like this is a common problem with the diesels. I'm wondering if this problem will continue as long as I own it.
    corndog: I saw you have not had a response yet, so I will try if it is not too late.
    The tires are a passenger car tire, and a very light duty tire at best. With 300 miles I traded my Wrangler ST on the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 245 70 16 T tires. These are very excellent tires, They are a solid stable ride with little if any road noise. We live on a rough gravel road and a big hill. We use full time 4x4 every day in and out. We now have 15,150 miles on our CRD. The tires show almost no wear. The exact tire size is an odd one to buy. So you can step up to this tire size and be only off on your speedometer by less than 1mph.
    The shudder is something some people have had and other don't get. I had my cruse control coming out even in a small incline. Also my mpg was always 22 mpg. After at least 5 times to the dealer doing re-flashes and other stuff the dealer replaced the PCM and now we have gotten in the 24 mpg range. We have not gone on a trip so we don't know what the mpg would be on a trip yet.
    You might not know but there will not be a CRD for the Liberty in 2007. We have been a "test market" for Jeep. This is either going to make our CRD values high or drop like a rock in a lake. Hope this might help.
    If you did not get a Chrysler Service Contract I would suggest it might just be a bargain! The 2006 warranty is only 3 years or 36,000 miles, not very good at all.

Farout
    italiawolf: May I suggest you look in the Liberty Diesel forum, as ther is more talk about problems there than here. Yes, this is common, infact some have had 3 Egr's replaced.
    I had so many upgrades that my PCM was replaced because it was so messed up. This new PCM increased the MPG from 22 to 24.5 in and arround town. I have 15.150 miles on the CRD. Don't expect STAR to be of much help, your dealers tec will have to be creative in solving some of these issues.

Farout
  • sabina528sabina528 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all!

I just recently bought a 2005 Liberty CRD in February. It was brand new with 3 miles. I now have just at 6,000 miles on it and the "Engine" light keeps coming on over and over again. I really don't like the service department where I bought the dealership and have always liked the service department where I bought my husbands 2006 Rubicon so I took it there.

On the first attempt to fix the problem, the dealership replaced the EGR valve and something else. I took it home and later that night the light came back on. The next day my husband took it back. They cleared the code and flashed the computer supposedly but two days after that the light came back on.

I took my Libby back to the dealership on Saturday. I got the run around from the service advisor and told I had to bring the car back during the week because he had no diesel mechanics. It seems unfair that anyone with a gasoline engine can get their car fixed on Saturday, but those of us that have a diesel have to wait for a weekday to get our car fixed!

We took the car back on Monday and talked to the service manager. In the past he had always been extremely nice to me with my husband’s Jeep, but this time it was very stand-offish and didn’t have any empathy for our problems. We sat in their waiting room for three hours. Finally we went back to the manager to get some news. He went to the tech and came back to use explaining that it would be a “long time” before he was able to get the problem fixed. I was upset and reluctantly he agreed to put us in a rental.

Two hours after leaving, my husband received a phone call from the manager and he stated that the computer was “flashed” again but they refused to test drive the car because his mechanic found “fleas” in the vehicle. Now, this is completely impossible since I haven’t had my two dogs in the Jeep in over two months. Also, I am very obsessive about my vehicle and I have it detailed weekly by the same shop. Angry as I could ever be at that point I went back to the dealership, returned the rental and left. The manager wanted me to test drive the car for 20 miles but I told him I’d never be back.

Now the “engine” light is back on again. I took it to the dealership I bought it at, explained the story to them and they were surprised to hear about the “flea” story. They agreed that the previous dealership wanted nothing more to do with us. Needless to say, they found no fleas. They did however keep my car for three days and only began to work on it when my husband sat in the waiting area pestering the service advisor to fix the problem. They again found the faulty code along with a different one that belonged to the speed sensor. They supposedly fixed the problem and test drove it for 40 miles. No light at that time. We were hopeful that it was fixed.

The day after we got the car home, guess what? The light came back on. It is now back at the dealership again and I’m waiting for a response. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help? The service manager at the second dealership said this is a problem with the Italian diesel and that the new programming should have worked but Jeep is having problems with it. I am at my wits end here and I’m almost ready to drive it through the dealership walls. Please, someone help!
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Hi Sabrina,
    It's a cheap excuse from your second dealership to blame VM for everything. VM makes the engine, and it's known to be an excellent piece of equipment.
    All the electronics and the injection system are purchased from Bosch. I would try to find a Bosch diesel shop instead because it's their stuff that produces the warning lights. At least they can tell you if the wiring harness or DC software is doubtful.
    Concerning the fleas, it could very well be the person who found them that had fleas ;)
    I also have a dog that waits for us in the driver's seat. This never produced any malfunction or incident to report and is much safer to leaving an asceptized (just out of the bathtub) child alone in the driver's seat.

It seems your warning light comes on after leaving the truck cool down overnight after a "fix". Is this correct?
    Which codes can you see on the display?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    the dealership replaced the EGR valve and something else.

Welcome to the Forum and happy 4th of July.

It looks to me like bad fuel. Where do you get your diesel? That engine is a solid diesel engine. It is all the crap that Jeep had to put on it that is causing the problems. It is not just the Liberty CRD. We have all Ford Powerstroke diesels at work. A week does not go by that one or more of them is taken back for engine lights. You never know what the problem is. They reset the computer or replace some stupid sensor and a couple weeks later it is on again. Where our trucks are it is VERY cold in the winter and Ford has known emission related problems in cold weather.

If you cannot find a source of ULSD fuel, which should be available at BP or ARCO stations, you may continue to have problems. I agree with Caribou that it is not the VM engine causing the problem.
    The recurring "engine malfunction light" symptom is now a pandemy affecting all modern low emission diesel systems. I think we cannot compare your CRDs to those built even only 3 years ago. Seen from over here, this is an announced death of small diesel engines if emission standards don't change. This is also a good way to discourage people so they have no regrets when the peak oil production is announced :cry:

Happy Independance day.
    (maybe next year the word 'oil' will be inserted)
  • goodcrdgoodcrd Member Posts: 253
    I have a suggestion which may sound stupid to some. Take a shop air nozzle with a two foot extension on it, stick it up your tail pipe so it just reaches your cat converter and blow it out to unclog it or clear the soot restriction that has built up in it. Then start it up and run it hard down the expressway to blow everything you loosened up out of your cat. If it clears your problem or the CRD runs better you know your cat is clogging up due to soot buildup in your cat. This is very common in diesels with Cat converters and particle traps. This is a good reason to be going to ULSD this year. It is a major problem with the newer emission equipment of diesel engines. Your egr and emissions related problems should disappear by Oct to Dec of this year.
    goodcrd: Now just how do we get past the muffler to get the air hose to the CAT.? Sounds sorta like a enema rather than a CAT clean out. Now I heard a guy took off his CAT and exhaust pipe up to the engine. Then he put on a PeterBillt tail pipe, and ran it streight out the side. He got 45 mpg when he used 20 gal of PS cetane booster and had a 60 mph wind behind him. Now that's real fuel mileage improvement!

Farout
  • jeepergrljeepergrl Member Posts: 2
    Hey all! I am new to this so I will try not to be to long winded. I saw the blog and thought some of you might be interested to hear my story. I just got a new 2006 Jeep Liberty after 4 long (to me) months of dealing w/ 2 dealerships and finally Chrysler themselves. I bought a 2005 Liberty Limited, had it for 11 months put 20,000 miles on it and BAM! it went down like a rock in water. After EGR valves, torque converters, a new transmission and 4 months of my car sitting in an empty lot Chrysler decided I had a :lemon: I had some very interesting experiences with all the offers that were brought to the table (by Chrysler) and trying to find me a new car, cause we all know you can't just go down to the nearest lot and find a CRD. Well, now I finally have my new CRD and lets just say I am keeping my fingers, toes and any other thing I can crossed hoping I don't have to go through this experience ever again! I feel for all of you who have issues w/ your CRD's :cry: I don't know much about cars but if I can answer any questions just give me a holler, I will be checking the blog regular. All in all it's just a good thing I love the Liberty Limited CRD and the mileage it gets! Much luck to all my fellow Liberty Lovers :P
  • mich2226mich2226 Member Posts: 6
    I'm having the same problem. I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty my ball joint popped off on the highway luckly I did not hit no one and no one hit me but I did slam into the medium. I never reported the accident I had my mechanic fix the problem. A couple of weeks ago I had a weird nose in my car everytime I reversed took it to the mechanic my bottom ball joint is loose now. Went to the dealer where I bought the car they were not helpful at all. My lease is up in November I want to get out of this lease but they want to charge me for the over mileage which I know I have to pay but geesh can they just lower the rate for me from .20 to .10. No compensation whats so ever. I'm very stressed out over this and last night on Channel 2 news they recalled all 2002-2006 Jeep Liberty's again because of the accidents and complaints. Any suggestions....Thanks
  • goodcrdgoodcrd Member Posts: 253
    My mistake. I'm thinking this cat is part of the "muffler". Some Muffler/cats/soot filters are all in one units for larger diesels. You would have to remove the muffler on this to access the cat. "Farout" fits you just about right.
  • janey1janey1 Member Posts: 2
    I would file an official complaint online with the Ohio Department of Transporation. They log incidents and investigate. You may also want to contact the Chrlysler headquarters but I got nowhere with them. I'm sure they know there's a problem and are just dragging their feet.

A friend told me there's been a recall on Jeep Liberty's in the last few days because of a steering issue. I like the car but I no longer feel safe.

I leased also and am over my mileage so I'm screwed too.

Let me know if you make any progress.
    I did contact the Chrysler headquarters but they were no help. I just want to get out of this car ASAP. I will keep you posted. I like the car but just remember when you start hearing a funny noise its a pretty loud one most likely is your balljoint coming loose. It's exactly what happen to me not once but twice. It's a problem you will have forever. You can keep fixing it but eventually they will get worn down and become loose again its exactly what my mechanic explained to me. Thanks for you help.
    Michelle
  • crdfancrdfan Member Posts: 10
    I am going thru the same thing with Jeep. I have had 4 egr valves and countless other problems. I would like to know what they tried to offer you. I am at the point now I will have to park the CRD and get another car while I am trying to reach a settlement. Its sad since I am a loyal Chrysler customer with 6 purchases of their vehicles over the last 10 years.
  • maxoratamaxorata Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I've had my Jeep Liberty Sport CRD for over a year now, and ever since I bought it I've heard the whistle of the turbo --I even took it to the dealer once thinking this was a malfunction, lol. Now, after 7000 miles I can't hear that sound anymore, though it seems the turbo is working because the performance of the vehicle seems to be the same as it was when I bought it, but I'm concerned about this issue, because the turbo may not be functioning properly, and this is a very expensive part, so before the warranty expires I'd like to make sure there is no problem with the turbo. I just wanted to ask you Jeep CRD owners,and before I take the car to the dealer, if you've had a similar experience with your vehicle. Does the turbo whistle quiet down as the mileage on your vehicle increases or is it me going deaf?
    I'm happy to report that my only problem with the SUV so far has been a valve that needed to be replaced. I'm very satisfied with my Jeep. Some folks say it is noisy, but to me,the sound of the engine is like mechanical music. Please excuse my English; it is not my mother language.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    :confuse:
    maxorata, I normally hear the whistle of the turbo when I give a bit more throttle than needed. Typically when the engine is cold and the transmission doesn't shift rapidly I can hear it mainly in the 1st and 2nd gears. Otherwise with the engine warm going down a long hill the truck can do "free wheeling" for a while and maintain it's speed; accelerating slightly then produces the whistle.
    Thanks Caribou1,
    The problem is that now I can't hear the whistle at all. Never.
    This is a variable geometry turbo, right? Is it possible that it could be working as a fixed geometry one, if this is at all possible? The easiest way for me to find out would be taking the car to the dealer for a diagnostic test, but I did that once, and to tell the truth I don't want to look like an idiot that does not know how the car works.
    I really love this vehicle. I'm from Europe, we are used to diesel vehicles there and we love them. When I came to this country I was a little bit disappointed by the fact that there were not many diesel vehicles available here, so when the new Jeep CRD came out, I rushed to the dealer and bought one. I haven't regretted it a bit.
    Thanks for your reply.
    maxorata, there is one thing to look for:
    - behind the air filter box you have a solenoid valve that allows the turbo variable vanes to change position. There is a small filter element there to make sure particles don't penetrate into the vacuum line.
    Remove it for a short period of time to make a test: if this filter is clogged the turbo will take a long time to respond. If you hear the whistle again this would mean your filter was obstructed. If it doesn't make any difference you will have to try something else...
    In all cases put it back on after the test.
    They offered me a new Jeep with a higher note not even a lower note because they want to add the extra mileage and whatever else that car has worn down. I'm going this weekend again to another Chrysler Jeep dealership if this one can help me then I'm guess I'm stuck financing the car or going to another dealership and having them take it off my hands and start fresh with a Honda or something more reliable.
  • jeepergrljeepergrl Member Posts: 2
    crdfan, they offered a buy out. Mine was w/ a greater than or equal to value. You know as well as me there was not going to be an equal to. That was fine w/ me as I wanted more options, satellite radio, sunroof, heated seats etc. I went from $29 to $31,000. It was a sub of collateral so there was no financing or re financing involved in my case. I guess I am one of the lucky ones who they make this offer to. Maybe suggest to your dealer calling Chrysler or maybe even call your bank whom your car is financed through and talk w/ them. When you bought your crd you should have been given a lemon law handbook. I found the name of a firm online that will handle your claim and if they can't get the results you want for you then you pay them nothing. If you are interested I can give you their number. I talked w/ them and even told Chrysler that if they did not work w/ me and replace my vehicle I would proceed w/ the lemon law attorney. They don't like that because then you get out of the car for nothing. As it stands I had to pay mileage as I was at 23,000 on 11 month old car. If I did not love this car to no end I would have had them buy me out right which is also another option you can express you want, which means they give you MSRP subtract usage fees. Either way they get you. They got me as I'm sure they get everyone. Oh well, guess thats the world we live in and the price we pay for freedom? Let me know how it turns out w/ the other dealership! GOOD LUCK :P

P.S. I have had my new CRD for about 3 weeks, took it to Key West last weekend and it did great! Still trying to figure out all the new buttons though :)
    crdfan: Bet they did not change the PCM did they? The PCM controls the EGR and if the EGR goes bad the PCM is is most often the reason. After 4 EGR's you would think they would have wondered what was the root of the problem. Have them change both this time.

Farout
    Thanks for the tip caribou1. I'll do that this Friday. I hope the filter is causing the problem, it would be easy to fix.
    Regards
  • samf36samf36 Member Posts: 2
    I am sorry this is long and somewhat rambling. Just wondering if anyone had any issues like I am having.

I have a Jeep Liberty CRD 2005 with 8500 miles on it. I got it in May with 7000 miles on it. Was told previous owner had heath issues and could no longer drive. I drove it happliy for 6 whole weeks till it blew a fuse. Engine control fuse. Luckly I was turning on to a side street at the time . It was dead in the water. Took it in right away to dealership. It was a sat so they could do nothing. They replaced fuse and we went home. Blew again that evening. Had dealership pick up. They had it for a week doing who knows what but declaired it fixed. 3 weeks later fuses started popping again. This time in a busy intersection. Got it to the edge of the road and replaced fuse , blew 2 more times before I got it home. Once agin dealership picked it up and I told them I would not endanger myself or others again by driving it till they found out what was wrong. They drove it around a week before the fuse blew for them so the put inline fuses in the wiring harness thinking that if one of thoes fuse blew they could figure it out. Now 3 weeks later and after dh dicided to have a little talk with them out buying the thing back they decided to replace the wiring harness.
    So after all that anyone else have a fuse issue?
    sam36: Hey rambling is what we all do, glad you feel at home to do so! I have noticed there have been a small number of posts that have had to have wiring needing to be replaced. Some problems present one problem, that covers up the actual cause. I honestly believe the wire issues might be related to fast handling, or wires getting pinched. When you consider how many people that have touched this engine and wires from the factory in Italy, to the factory in Toledo, Ohio to then be installed, that's a lot of hands that have been placed on this engine and wires. It only takes one little mistake to cause such a problem as yoursJ
    We have 18,500 on our Sport CRD and no real problems except a PCM which was replaced last June at 14,500 miles.
    These engines are not only tested before they leave the factory, they are broke in as well, and oil drained and cleaned out. So you have a good engine. This engine is not new, but well proven and Chrysler has bought over 500,000 diesel engines from V M Motori.
    Where owners go wrong in my observation is; using oil higher than 5-40w synthetic oil, and using bio fuel above B-5. I change my oil every 7,500 miles. I drive it just as I would any other gas Liberty. That's all it takes.
    I think you might give serious thought to finding a better 5 star Jeep CRD certified dealer, as this one seems rather inexperienced. They should have found your problem long time ago. Hope you get to enjoy your CRD.

Farout
    Thanks for help. I still haven't visited the dealership. I was away on vacation. I just received a letter in the mail from Chrysler Headquarters in Texas to please contact them regarding my lease which is up in November. They want to discuss my finance and lease options. Should I tell them truth about the car issues I have and the over mileage? Or should I just listen to my options.
  • john72r5john72r5 Member Posts: 1
    I have been studying the posts, finding the forum informative. I am trying to assist my parents with their Liberty Diesel and the infamous CHECK ENGINE LIGHT/EGR problem. This is the third visit to the dealer with the promise that when the EGR is replaced everything will be okay.

My question: Has this problem with the Liberty diesel really been solved? My impression is that the dealership is pacifying my parents. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  • crdfancrdfan Member Posts: 10
    The problem wont be solved by putting the same part back on it. DC does not want to admit there are problems with the engine, I have been fighting with them for almost a year now with mine, after 4 EGR valves replaced and other problems they still refuse to buyback the Jeep saying they have fixed it. Good luck.
    JOHN72R5: This is such an issue that has a pretty easy solution, but the Tecs don't read all the readouts that come out on these V M Motori engines. Makes me real burned up. If the PCM was not replaced at the same time it may well happen again. I am sure you have read of some having the EGR replaced 4 times! There is just no excuse for these repetive replacement of EGR's.
    The EGR is controlled by the PCM, and if the EGR goes bad it's primary cause is the PCM.
    Should ANYONE doubt this call YARK Jeep in Toledo Ohio, the main CRD tec is DAN, speak to him. Yark sold more CRD's than anyone, and they even were helping the factory when there was a problem. Dan is one very sharp, kind, and willing to talk to you. I can not post the phone number by the rules of the Forum. Go to Jeep.cpm and go to dealer search. This advice is free, and hope it helps not only your parents but others who are having EGR problems, or those who don't really know what to do.

Farout
    crdfan: Your dealer is typical. Replace just what's broke! The reason you are having to replace the EGR 4 times is they never replaced the PCM ! That's what controls the EGR. See my post just above this to john72r5. That will explain it all. I am positive this will take care of the EGR issue. Have the dealer pay for your wasted time and mileage with a couple of oil changes.

Farout
  • samf36samf36 Member Posts: 2
    I am still waiting on the wiring harness install. They told me today I am on the list!! This is a 5 star dealer. I will not let them touch it next time I will have it taken some place else. They tick me off . We told them in July the 1 st time we took it in it was wiring.
    We always use synthetic in our diesels and recommend it's use in the engines we service ( we own and operate a semi diesel repair shop). I would love to have bio diesel but it is only available for ag use where I am at.
  • dkb1330dkb1330 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my new 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport diesel almost 14 months ago. I have approx. 42,146 miles now. The two problems I have had with it was at 8600 miles, my EGR valve was replaced after the engine light came on and at 39,000 miles a senor was replaced after the anti-lock light came on. I an very pleased with the mpg. It is because of it that when it is time to replace it, I am looking at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel only because it is larger.
  • zygnatzzygnatz Member Posts: 1
    2006 CRD with 7200 KM

I recently got a recall mailer to reprogram the TCM (Transmission Control Module) the mailer said this should take about 1 hour. I scheduled this for Tuesday, Sept 5th. They called after a few hours and said the module failed and they had no spare. The replacement that took several days to come was the wrong one. I'm still waiting for another hopefully correct module to arrive.

Anyone else had this experience?
  • l7crdl7crd Member Posts: 1
    Howdy folks,

I have an 05 Liberty diesel with 26k miles on it. I bought it used with 24k.

It ran fine initially and I love this little Jeep. I am averaging 24-26 mpg.

Last month the check engine light came on and I took it into a dealer in Nv. as I was in the area. The vehicle was there for a week and then they called and stated that they had replaced the #4 glow plug but could not get the code to clear (check engine light still on).

I took it to a local dealer and they "flashed" the computer and declared it fixed. I left the dealer (Fri at 5pm) and within five miles the check light was back on. I spoke with the service manager on the following Mon and he stated that they were not sure what the problem was and that if they couldn't find it on my next visit I would have to take it to a dealer with a trained tech (Ca. did not sell the Liberty diesel and therefore supposedly does not have trained techs).

Does anyone have any insight as to why the code would reflect an issue with the glow plug and yet they replaced it so it should be ok?

Also, I have noticed two other issues...

1. The temp gauge surges to almost red intermittently. (The dealer claimed there was a TSB for this and re-flashed the ECM to resolve it, yet it still does this).

2. Occasionally I notice the Liberty feels like it is surging or bucking. Is this an engine issue or a tranny issue? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks for any replies.

L7
    17crd: This could indicate many issues. Most of us on this CRD forum can only guess what your problem might be. You really need a trained tec who knows their stuff. Some of the CRD tecs know only to R&R parts, and hope they find the problem. It might be well to call the selling dealer, and other dealers to find a 5 Star dealer who knows their rear end from a wheel. Lets us know how you come out.

Farout
    I am weary from hardly ever getting to stop while driving. I use 3 of PS Cetane booster quarts per 20 gallons of diesel. We are getting 34mpg in town and 46mpg on the road. We stop every three hours and it only takes about 4.5 gallons and that's hardly worth stopping for. That is not the worst part. We wait our turn in line at the Flying J truck stop, and when we fill it with $11.88 the truckers get rather upset because we are in their way. But the fuel is 5 cents less a gallon. We have a special attachment which allows for the bigger nozzel truckers use. But it's sure hard to fill without spilling some.
    Do you believe this story? Of course it's not true, but neither is some of the stories you may read sometime in these forums.

PS. We really get 22 in town and 26.4 open road.

Farout