Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• tinyt8tinyt8 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 CRV AC went out at 48K miles, 2 yr and 3 months. After reading this site asked Honda to cover beyond warranty. Initially they said they could help. At dealer (not one purchased from since on vacation 1500 miles from home), dealer offer Honda to cover $1600 parts and me to cover $800 labor. I called Honda corporate back, noting dissatisfaction with offer. Almost immediately dealer rep offered to do with only $100 contribution, which was same as deductible if I had extended warranty. I accepted. Entire AC unit - compressor, clutch, and condenser, and expansion valve changed out. Work done same day.

Cools nicely but more noise when compressor on than with original AC. Also seems to cycle more frequently. Anyone else have these noise issues after repair?
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    My '02 CR-V lost its A/C when the weather hit 90 degrees in Ohio. I took to the dealer initially for diagnostic and was told "maybe a control problem." The A/C died completely on the way home. I made another appointment and was told the compressor had a leak. The funny thing is that the compressor did not explode - the clutch just quit engaging. They initially wanted $850 to fix but advised their service manager would contact Honda for advice. Honda has agreed to pay for the compressor but not for the labor. It will be $300 plus a rental out of my pocket. I am sort of pleased with the decision but am considering contacting Honda Corporate to cover labor also. Any advise? The car only has 33,000 miles on it. Thanks
    Update to previous post: I called American Honda and was told that the dealer's offer stands. Honda would still not cover the $300 labor. My only hope now is that the system is not contaminated when they tear down the compressor. I told Honda that I am aware of cases where they cover 100% and was told again that the dealer gave me the best offer. How does one get in to be the lucky few that get full reimbursement even at higher mileage?
  • whew63whew63 Member Posts: 19
    In response to your post-True, this is not a safety issue, although when my compressor blew it shot pieces of metal onto the highway. Honda is obviously building their CRV's with defective compressors and repairing them with, as some report, another defective compressor. I was out of warranty and was still covered 100%. Why is Honda covering some, but not all of these costly repairs? There must be some agency out there that protects consumers from defective products and everyone of us needs to report this problem to protect ourslves if/when our A/C's die again or for those out there who don't think to look for or find this website. I fear that my new system will fail and I will end up among the group of consumers who are refused a free repair the second or third time around. With that in mind, I will more than likely trade my repaired CRV in for a preowned Toyota and soon. In my case Honda did come through for me and for that I am grateful-yet it's only right they cover their defective parts. We purchased a Honda brand auto for it's reliability and name. This forum has convinced me that they are not doing the right thing for all CRV owners with identical A/C issues and for that I have lost faith in the company. As I mentioned in my post #147-I would have persued this with an attorney as now there are even more letters and more proof of an obvious defect.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    I will more than likely trade my repaired CRV (sic) in for a preowned Toyota and soon.

I hope you don't get a Toyota with a sludged engine or any other of their documented problems because of course Toyotas don't have any problems. Just be sure to buy a Toyota that you can spell. Expectations seem to be unrealistic in relation to a vehicle, IMHO of course.
  • gingerb1031gingerb1031 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Honda CRV, which has been wonderful EXCEPT for this very problem. In May 2005, I heard a loud bang and then no cool air out of the ac vent. Took it to the dealer and it was still under warranty and they replaced it, $1200.00 worth of repairs. On Saturday the 5th, I was driving back from Cooekville TN when I heard another loud bang and you guessed it, no AC again. Called Honda this morning and took it in. I got a call just a few minutes ago that the whole thing has to be replaced again. However, mine is still under warranty and it will only cost me the $50.00 deductable. So, this does seem to be a problem from what I can see from this web site. Good luck.
    Thanks, But I'm guessing I'll get a Corolla or Camry-Ones that I've already owned-And so because of that, lucky me, I can spell them too. Just thought I'd give Honda a try... Check it out!-poor gingerb #160 just lost her SECOND compressor- Thanks for your oh so very very valuable HO...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    How about we stick to compressor issues in here. Try the GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda...Who will sell you your next car? discussion for manufacturer comparisons.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    I understand your frustration I have owned a new Toyota, Honda, Lexus (Toyota) and Honda (3)since 1990 and all have been very good. But they all have had there issues at times like the early 2000s with auto transmission on Honda similar to the compressors on when they started going. Subaru had there issues with head gaskets in the late 1990s and early 2000 that they had to deal with Toyota had issues with sludge no auto maker is perfect but Honda and Toyota and Subaru are far better than many of the others. Type in sludge, transmission or gaskets on there forms and watch what pops up . Good luck no matter what make you choose to stay with ..... M :)
    I had my compressor cycle more frequently when I took to the dealer for the original diagnostic. This was after they recharged the system with the correct amount of refrigerant. They cited something in the control system was going bad. The next thing I knew, they said the compressor was leaking and needed to be replaced - it had vented extra pressure out the relief valve. I have an appointment to see what happens. Sounds like maybe the high pressure switch cutting out too soon? :confuse:
    Honda repaired your AC yet you have a problem with them. Your solution? Buy a used Toyota. As others said (maybe they are helpful!!) all manufacturers have problems. But not all help out their customers.

Best of luck.

"Toyota Motor Corp., which is challenging General Motors Co. to become the world's largest automaker, saw its number of recalled vehicles in the United States double in 2005, according to government records."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10286388/
    "Honda is obviously building their CRV's with defective compressors and repairing them with, as some report, another defective compressor. I was out of warranty and was still covered 100%. Why is Honda covering some, but not all of these costly repairs? There must be some agency out there that protects consumers from defective products and everyone of us needs to report this problem to protect ourslves if/when our A/C's die again or for those out there who don't think to look for or find this website. I fear that my new system will fail and I will end up among the group of consumers who are refused a free repair the second or third time around."

Everyone can go out on a tangent here about my Toyota comment like they did about the comment regarding baby's head blowing up because of the heat. Just want to back it up to the real point of my post before it gets away...It seems that Honda is putting in and replacing the faulty system with the same, and unless there is a safety issue involved to force a recall, consumers will continue to be inconvenienced and perhaps have to pay part or all of the cost to replace an obviously defective product-That was the point really. I said Toyota because I've owned them before and I personally had never had a problem with any-Sorry, I did not mean to offend any of you who may have gotten sludged or otherwise. Because of your replies though, I will research any vehicle I consider using this website in part to help me make my next purchase decision. Now, If anyone out there knows of an agency we can all contact to protect ourselves from future problems and expense regarding CRV AC compressor issues, that information would be greatly appreciated...
  • graphicdavidgraphicdavid Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 Honda CR-V. Love the vehicle, but at 37,000 miles the air conditioning quit. The dealer got it covered under the original warranty, and replaced it at no cost to us. Two weeks ago at 56,000 miles, the A/C began to make a noise and stopped functioning. It's the compressor. We purchased the extended warranty, so the repair will be covered - again. (It's still at the dealer - day two.) Seriously doubt I'll purchase another Honda product. We live in central California, and two weeks ago it was 112 degrees - A/C is vital here.
  • ralcatralcat Member Posts: 2
    I was so surprised to see this forum, but happy I found it. My 2003 CRV (VIN begins with J) blew out the compressor a few days ago - sounds like very similar circumstances to others. Driving along and then a terrible loud noise and then the AC stops working.

I am new to the Houston area (where it would be pretty unpleasant to live without AC), and brought my car directly to the dealer. They quoted me $3,000 for parts & labor with the same explanation about replacing the entire system due to shards of metal going everywhere. They were very nice and encouraged me to call Honda America. The service rep I have been dealing with told me he's seen it happen before and that it has nothing to do with the way you drive, etc. - it's just a bad part.

So, I have a case # and am waiting to hear back from Honda America - I am really hoping to have full coverage like others here have. The car only has 49k miles on it - we bought it in September from a private party, but are lifelong Honda owners. The woman I spoke with at American Honda who wrote up the case was also extremely nice and made a note of that in my case.

So, we'll see what happens. I will come back to post and let you all know.
    I think that the system is designed to cut out at certain times, including acceleration to improve gas mileage and allow more power to the wheels. I know it doesn't help in hot weather. The VTECH 4 engines are great but I guess there is some sacrifice vs. a 6 cylinder engine. Any chance Honda will offer a bigger engine as an option? I guess it's called a Pilot...
  • kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    I own CRV EX 03, mileage 62K, and I bought it new.
    So far... (knock on wood) this car was bulletproof, thanks God (and Honda)!
    So far I did not have any repairs - only maintenance, which I performed myself @ severe maintenance schedule' i.e. I changed oil/filter and made 5-tire rotations every 5k.
    I also changed air and a/c filters regually. I changed oil in AWD system once.
    My original Bridgestone Dueler Tires (which all of us love to hate) look VERY good for 62k and brakes pads looks like new too.
    Looks like I (and majority of CRV owners) made a Good Choice, or didn't we?.
    Thats why these numerous reports of CRV a/c failures concern me a lot.
    For me, reliability is THE MOST IMPORTANT QUALITY of the car.
    I would sacrifice all fancy 'bells and whistles', speed, power, appearance, prestige, etc. for reliability.
    I believe, most car owners feel the same way.
    I only surprised that major car companies in their highly competitive environment missed that completely! Check The Consumer Reports!
    Just give me a RELIAAAAABLE Car!!!! AHH!!
    I also own Volvo S-70 GLT 2000, which I bought new, and now
    have only 50k @ the odometer. I bought that car exactly because reported durability. Man, I was wrong!
    Last week after service (including a/c recharge) and numerous repairs (about $1600), my a/c quit working!
    Estimation: another $1,600.00 (work) to replace evaporator.
    There is NO such thing like a 'Good Will' warranty at Volvo.
    Needles to say that I and all may numerous friends, relatives, co-workers, etc. would avoid Volvo like plague now!
    By the same token, Honda behaves very WISELY taking care of the customers, who was unfortunate to have defective a/c.
    Of course, it would be even MORE WISELY not to have any defective parts at all! But who cares about it! :-)
  • byuntsbyunts Member Posts: 1
    I'm so glad I found this forum! Last week, my wife's '03 CR-V with 58k miles blew its a/c compressor. I was rather disturbed because we've owned 2 other Hondas before and they never gave us any issues like this. I was nervous of how much it would cost to repair. I was considering even doing the job myself, but the price of the parts were pretty expensive too.

I had called Honda NA first. The representative advised me to get my car diagnosed at a dealer first before anything. When I took my car in I had asked that they look into whether Honda NA will entertain the thought of covering the repair in full. The service advisor called me back later that day and told me that the repairs would cost $2200. They would cover everything but a $500 deductible. I hestitate to accept the offer, generous as it was. He seemed a little pushy as if he were trying to sell me the deal. I told him I would call him back.

I immediatley called Honda NA and explained the whole conversation I had. I expressed my wish for
    Honda to cover the full cost of repair especially in the light of other similar cases and the uncharacteritic nature of a such a part failure from a dependable brand like Honda. I was given a expectation of a reply within 1 - 2 business days with no promise of a favorable answer.

I recieved a call from a Honda NA rep where I had a chance to state my case. On top of the points that I made earlier, my wife was the original owner, we have records of performed services (not much as I perform all the routine maintenance), we are loyal Honda customers as this is our 3rd Honda vehicle, etc.

A few hours after that call, I recieved a final call from my service advisore letting me know that the repair would be covered in full.

Thank you Honda and thank you guys/gals on this thread. I had referenced this forum to the Honda NA rep, who seemed otherwise unaware of the numerous complaints. Hopefully more exposure to this problem will lead Honda to be more proactive about addressing this issue.
  • tjminomatjminoma Member Posts: 8
    You're lucky. I finally was able to contact my case worker today who told me that the dealer I took my Honda to - O'daniel Honda in Omaha - is an independent business and doesn't have to do anything to help. She added that once my Honda hit 36,001 miles, Honda didn't have to do anything either. After considerable browbeating on her part, she said she would refund the 85 dollar inspection fee that O'Daniel charged me. I had already paid an independent shop 40 to diagnose the problem (the A/C quit on a Saturday out-of-town and the local Honda dealer's service dept was closed). I am disappointed with Honda and will not be back.
  • ralcatralcat Member Posts: 2
    Wanted to let everyone know that I got a call from Honda America last night - it was the case manager. She asked me a few questions and mentioned the 'goodwill warranty' - she asked about my service and where I had it performed. I explained we had purchased the CRV in September from a private party, had one oil change since then at a mechanic, and had one other service done since we moved to Houston, at the dealer. That was about it.

This morning, the dealer called to say the repairs would be covered 100%!!! Needless to say, I am thrilled. One thing that I did is e-mail the service manager the cases from this web site where it noted customers were covered in full. The rep I spoke with said he thought that made a difference, as it gave his manager some information to go on.

Good luck to others in this circumstance. I know Honda has reaffirmed my loyalty to the brand.
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are Honda CRV owners who have had air conditioning issues. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, August 18, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

You'll have to fix the @ sign if you cut and paste Chintan's email address since it won't copy correctly.
    All Honda dealers are independent businesses (i.e. not owned by the corporation). You must have done something wrong (were you honey or vinegar?).

Let us know what brand you settle on now that you are leaving Honda.
  • rlemosrlemos Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 crv with 75k miles and a 1998 crv with 102k miles. Both I bought new and they have been great cars. Yesterday the 2001 AC compressor froze, burning the belt. Took it to the dealer today and informed that unit self destroyed and $1500 parts and $650 labor. Did a google search and came upon web sight. Contacted Honda 800 # and within 2 hours they agreed to cover parts. Just got the car back and I am satisfied with $650. bill and a new AC unit. I am concerned about my 1998, but after reading thru all of the E-mails I didn't see one 1998 that had went out. Hope to keep my 1998 for my kids and buy a new Honda Truck, but I don't want a $2100. AC repair bill down the road. I will keep an eye on this sight.
    Randy.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are Honda CRV owners who have had air conditioning issues. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, August 18, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.
  • madrivermadriver Member Posts: 8
    I wish I had seen this last year, when the AC compressor in my 2000 CRV blew up. Luckily, the pieces that flew out didn't hit anything (or my husband who was checking it out at the time). I probably won't get anywhere, but I have a receipt for the repair that I'll send off to Honda. Thanks for the info!

(BTW, I found this site when looking up reasons why my brake light stayed on this morning. I found a couple of suggestions which I'll try today. My 2000 EX manual transmission CRV has been pretty trouble free so far, so I guess I can't complain too much. Good site! ) :shades:
  • spimbyspimby Member Posts: 14
    I've read that the CR-V and the Element share the same engine, but I haven't heard anyone in that group complaining of the same compressor problem. Does anyone know if the compressor is the same on these two vehicles?
  • sgpsgp Member Posts: 13
    The AC on my 2002 CR-V with 61,000 miles went out on Saturday and yesterday the dealer gave me an estimate of $2,265. Fortunately I found this forum and didn't authorize the repair. I called American Honda and they said they will get back to me in 2-3 days. I sure hope they come through for me.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO DO THIS!!! Maybe it'll help for replacement should the new Compressors,etc installed in your repaired CRV's stop working or force Honda to find a better system. It's a start anyway...I sent in my info yesterday.

Thanks Karen(#178) and Steve(#175) :)
  • kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    I am not aware of how often CRV a/c failures occur.
    Maybe only Honda knows... . If the news of frequent CRV a/c
    problems would transpire to the press, I believe, Honda should consider a recall. Otherwise sales may drop.
    I was approached many times by strangers and by co-workers about my Honda CRV experience (especially after oil prices jumped). I gave raving references, of course, because so far I did NOT have any troubles.
    Times are changing. Information is spreading like wildfire. People today are increasingly savvy and most have Internet access. It's not easy now to attract them with marketing tricks like "howcarlooks" or how many cap-holders car has and other gimmicks. People are interested in the bottom line: price and features and quality for that price. Am I buying a "ticking trouble"?
    American BIG Three are in BIG trouble now. Only thing they can do for the Comeback is to improve reliability (reputation) of their products instead of wasting millions on advertising. It easy said than done, of course.
    I always skip TV car commercials because I know they are THE BIG DECEPTION. Are TV-advertisers think that consumers are all "drooling idiots"? I believe, most people would agree with me. But I do trust friends, relatives, co-workers, CR ,and Internet Forums like Edmunds.
  • lambchoplambchop Member Posts: 24
    My AC went out on my 2002 CR-V with 45K. We called Honda America & got a case # & then took the car to dealer for diagnosis. Honda approved it for full repairs (compressor, condensor & hoses) at no cost to us. We had the work done at Rusty Wallace Honda in the Dallas, TX area. It was the first time to use their service area & I was very impressed with them. My Honda loyalty is even stronger now.
  • tblaze806tblaze806 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 cr-v. it has 40k miles on it. so about 3 weeks ago my car starts making this horrible noise when i turned it on. thought it was the belt or one of the pul lies. took it to a mechanic and they said it was the ac compressor. and it would cost about 2000 dollars to fix it. so i started looking online and came across this site. i called american honda and they told me to take it to a dealership. the closest to me is a hour drive. so i did. when i get to it this guy gives me an attitude and says we did you call american honda for this problem. so i told him about this site and he said he never saw this problem before. yeah whatever. so then he says they have to have the car for 2 days to fix it. but he has no rental cars for me to use. so he said come back monday and he will have one. i found out i did get an extended warranty from honda but they sold me a third party one. and this honda place said they only accept honda warranties. so i been calling around and i found a place by me that will do it. honda said also that since i have the extended warranty they wont cover it. which would be fine except that this seems to be a common problem and i think they need to do something about it. also my airbag light stays i just found out my car had a recall on it. so i told honda that too and they said we will see if thats the problem. and my engine light came on and its my o2 sensor which i told them is cover under an emissions warranty. so i was just wondering does anyone know what exactly happened to there compressor? the guy that looked at mine said it was wobbly. i dont know how that can happen. i dont even know what it looks like.
    How did you get a case? The rep I spoke with at American Honda blew me off and said the dealer's offer to pay parts only stands. Their "goodwill" coverage is on a case-by-case basis. I have an '02 with only 33,000 miles. I ended up forking over $300 in labor for a new compressor. :confuse:
  • chazzumchazzum Member Posts: 13
    You indicate no 1998's with AC issues. How about a 1997? My 97 CR-V with 97K miles AC imploded on August 2nd...hottest day of the year here in Philly. I say imploded because that's what it sounded like when it blew. Progression to total failure was this: nearing the end of my 21 mile commute on I95 going about 65mph I notice air blowing out of vents is only slightly cool. I turn recirculate off then back on again and notice cold air again but that only lasted a few seconds. Try recirculate off back on trick again and gets cool for a few more seconds. Air coming out of vents is less and less cool. I get off at my exit and hear loud thunkety thunk as if I ran over debris on road...I pull over and check underneath V and also pop hood to check engine and belts. Cannot see anything out of sorts. Get back in my V to finsh ride and no AC ...air is now hot out of vents. No AC.

After reading this forum I decide it's not worth fixing since the cost seems to run between $1900 and $3500. Add to that I need 4 new tires and am overdue on timing belt (supposed to change at 90k...I was going to get both of those in September) and I'm up to more than the vehicle is realistically worth in trade.

On 8/9 I purchased a new 2006 SE V and got $3500 in trade for no AC '97. Should my AC have blown? I don't think so; however, I still feel like it was a great vehicle. It never, ever broke down on me and all it ever needed was regular maintenance (tires at 38k, two front brake pad jobs at 40k and 80k, battery at year 6, regular oil change which I did myself and always used Mobil One Synthetic). Rather than shell out $3500 for the AC, timing belt and tires I put that towards my new V. To make myself feel safe I got a 8yr/120k HondaCare warranty (online for only $1040).
  • marigmarig Member Posts: 2
    Please let me know how you made out - my just blew and I will be calling American Honda tomorrow. Thanks!
    Just wanted to note a change in my AC performance after compressor replacement. I had mine replaced for pressure and leak failures - not for the explosion usually posted to the forum. Fortunately there were no metal shavings in the system. The system blows colder now but blows vent air during moderate to hard acceleration. It seems that Honda may have redesigned the compressor to cut out to avoid damaging pressure build up? :confuse:
  • sanlucarsanlucar Member Posts: 4
    Hi Ralcat:

Glad to hear Honda took care of you.

I also live in Houston and already got a case # from Honda US, which Honda dealer did you take your car at? I will be taking it Goodson dealer, there will be a $85 diagnose charge, which it will reinbursed if Honda approves the charge.I have a 2001 Honda CRV with 90,000 miles. The compresor is making noise and cold air still comes out. Will post results later.
  • susanarobinsonsusanarobinson Member Posts: 10
    Our a/co compressor on our 2001 CRV EX blow up yesterday. Any advice as to how to proceed to try to get it repaired and have the expense covered by Honda?
  • lcarlinlcarlin Member Posts: 4
    i had my car diagnosed at our local Honda of Panama City (FL) about a week and a half ago and sure enough it was my compressor. I had already contacted Honda America and had a case # and manager. I let them know that when i took my car in. My advisor got in touch with them while I was out of town and talked numbers and such. $2100.00 to replace everything. I have 41K miles on it and never a problem.
    Honda is replacing everything under warranty. I was very impressed with Honda of Panama City and Honda America on working so quickly and efficiently. I would not have known to call and get a case # if not for this forum. Good Luck to everyone. Honda America 1-800-999-1009. ext 5
  • lcarlinlcarlin Member Posts: 4
    I believe the compressor on your CRV is good for 36,000 miles. you should still be under the warranty since you only have 33,000 miles. I would call Honda America back.
    everything should be covered. Have you been to a Honda dealer and had it diagnosed and gotten an advisor?
    The standard warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles, so the warranty on an '02 would be outside the time limit. Doesn't cost anything to ask for coverage though!
  • mikael79mikael79 Member Posts: 1
    That's interesting, my '02 CR-V AC just quit @ 75K miles on me halfway from Vegas to San Diego, ugh :-(

At time of purchase we added the 6 year extended warranty, I wonder if this will be covered by Honda or not?

this has been an incredible car, love it, this is the only real problem that I've had with it beyond normal wear and tear.
  • myklopezmyklopez Member Posts: 1
    2004 CRV, 45K miles, owned 2.5 years. Estimate to repair here in Durham, NC was $3300! Initially, dealer offered to pay labor (~$800) and I cover parts. I refused, and found this forum. I then called American Honda with the 'good will warranty' knowledge, they then offered to pay for parts, and I cover labor. I told my case manager about the 3 Hondas in my driveway, the other two I owned previously and the reason I am loyal to Honda in the first place is to avoid catastrophic repair bills while I am still paying for the vehicle!

I got a call the next day from the dealer service department, American Honda decided to cover the entire repair. Here's the funny thing now - one of the parts (evaporator) is now on a national back order, with no estimated date of availability. The service rep at the dealer admitted to this being a problem now, I guess it's happening more & more.

Anyway, thanks to the info you guys shared here I was able to effectively negotiate the coverage. I appreciate it!
    I just talked to American Honda and they are only offering to pay for parts on my repair so I will be stuck with the labor charge of about $680. I guess that is better than the entire estimate of $2,265.

I guess I should be glad they have offered to pay for anything since my 02 CR-V has 61,000 miles, but on the other hand they know they have a defective product and I think they should pay the entire repair cost.
  • marigmarig Member Posts: 2
    Hey - my car is at the dealer (where I purchased it 3 yrs. ago) My car needs the whole works - over $2,000. worth of repair. They told it is DAMAGED. American Honda will be covering it all. If you had the Honda Care warranty you which covers the car for 7 yrs. or 100,000 miles; they should pay the whole thing. It is in the Honda Care manual. I think you should nicely fight it. ;)
    Well - thanks to the information on this site, we contacted American Honda two days ago re: the a/c compressor problem (2001 Honda CRV - 86K -- no warranty - we purchased from an individual about 3 years ago) and were told to visit our local Honda dealer for a diagnostic assessment. We did - and got back with our case manager at American Honda -- and received word this morning they will pay for the entire cost of replacing the system -- (will be nearly $1700) -- and we have to pay only the $81 diagnostic charge. Don't give up if you call first and they tell you they can't do anything - that is what happened to us -- I asked for the fax number and sent a short note re: the problem and our excellent experience with Honda to-date. I included a mention of the "good will warranty" -- and then promptly received a call from the person assigned as our case manager. The mixture of the information from the site -- as well as a little persistence (you get more with honey than with vinegar)-- paid off. We have an appointment to have our repair service next Monday. Good luck! Hope you have success as well.
    Honda must obviously be aware by now that they have a huge problem with these air compressors. Why can't they step up and take responsibility for this instead of making people pledge their loyalty to Honda before they will cover the repair?

There are probably thousands of people who didn't find this site and have paid for the entire repair and I would imagine they aren't very happy with Honda.
    I agree wholeheartedly! Additionally, rather than accepting responsibility with the first contact, we were told that our vehicle was not covered with the "good will" warranty. We then sent a separate communication via fax -(not mentioning the first contact) and were telephoned promptly with an offer to pay the entire repair within 72 hours (after diagnostic assessment by Honda dealer). So, in addition to the persons not accessing this site - there are also those who accept the initial declination - which minimizes Honda's liability. There was mention on this site of a local (New York?) paper doing an article about the problem?
    They gave us the same answer -- we then got the fax number and faxed a brief - nice - letter -- heard back within 24 hours -- we were assigned a Case Manager -- and told to take to the dealership for diagnostic -- My suggestion would be for you to fax a letter - do NOT mention you have aleady called -- Good Luck! Worked for us - we have appointment to have it serviced in the morning -- only had to pay the diagnostic assessment.
    You must be persistent. We have a 2001 CRV - 86K miles - bought it from an individual (who was going to IRAQ) about 4 years ago) -- anyhow, after viewing this site - I called Honda -- told about the "good will warranty" -- the rep didn't give me the time of day - said it was not covered. So, I wrote a very nice, brief letter sent via fax within an hour of talking with the person by phone. The letter was to the point about it being an extensive problem/defect - and knew they would step forward and cover the expense - and added that we are loyal customers. We had a call within 24 hours from our Case Manager -- we were instructed to take it to a designated dealer -- then called her back with the diagnosis -- and they are covering the total expense under the "good will warranty." The appointment is in the morning! Good luck!
  • sanlucarsanlucar Member Posts: 4
    Can someone please post the fax number where to send the letter stating the case for them to repair the compressor?

In addition, I sent the e-mail to the add saying that it needed to be sent by August 18th, well, I sent it last week, twice, nobody has responded at all, has anybody else sent the e-mail and got contacted?

The honda dealer in Houston told us the repair would be $1,300, minus $300 that will be covered by Honda America, we declined and called our case manager, he said, nobody has approved that charge yet, so this means the Honda dealer was trying to rip us off.

We are still waiting to hear from our case manager for final decission.
    When I made the initial call I asked for the fax number - and the number was not correct - went to the wrong department. On the American Honda website this is what they provide:
    By Phone
    At our toll-free number: (800) 999-1009
    By Fax
    (310) 783-3023 (24 Hours)
    By Mail
    American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    Honda Automobile Customer Service
    1919 Torrance Boulevard
    Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7D
    Torrance, CA 90501-2746

Hope it helps. I also sent the e-mail message (deadline was 8/18) and have not heard anything back. We are pleased at this point as American Honda is paying for our entire repair bill (nearly $1700).