Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sportage Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lmp4lmp4 Member Posts: 188
    ...in addition, if you mention the area you live in, I suspect other forum members in your vincinity would be glad to offer support to your claim...
  • ort102ort102 Member Posts: 23
    Hey i am back i was wondering if anyone knew how to get the factory radio out and put in a new one possibly some pictures or diagrams. Also will this affect anything by changing the radio .
    Thanks in advance
    First item is to pull the faceplace out.It is clipped in at several points. Gently pry out from the edges, a little at a time, may using a dull table knife, or your fingernails.
    I did it a few times for the heater controls...I did not touch the radio.
  • jtkapajtkapa Member Posts: 1
    was running fine stopped at a stop sing it stalled out, now it will not start just turns over and thats it. has good spark gas pump is fine but will not start anyone know what to look for. i need help
  • marika1marika1 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your help. I'm meeting with the shop on Monday. I'll let you know how I make out. I really appreciate all your assistance and will keep you posted!!!
    ...what is mileage on engine? if past 70,000 miles and original Timing belt, this would be the first suspect.
  • jasinskijasinski Member Posts: 9
    DOSE YOUR CLOCK@RADIO WORK. SAME THING HAPEND TO ME BUT CLOCK@RADIO ARE OUT ALSO. MINE HAS'NT RAN IN A YEAR!! ANY IDEAS. :sick:
    RAN GOOD ONE DAY WENT OUT THE NEXT MORNING TURNED THE KEY IT STARTED THEN STALLED WHEN I TRIED IT AGAIN THE RADIO@CLOCK WERE FLICKERING THE MOTOR TURNS OVER WINDOWS, LIGHTS, DASH LIGHTS, IT ALL WORKS. BUT NOT THE RADID@CLOCK AND IT WILL NOT START. :sick:
    THERE IS A TRANSFER CASE FOR $400 ON CRAIGS LIST U COULD TALK HIM DOWN!!
  • sue45sue45 Member Posts: 7
    Hi
    The problem that you were having with your kia sounds like alot like what I am experiencing, have changed alot of parts but still works the same, did you ever get to the root cause
    NO STILL WAITING. :sick:
  • nsilasnsilas Member Posts: 1
    I need to change my front wiper motor on a 98. Any pics or instructions on how to access it. Thanks.
    register at www.kiatechinfo.com (free)
    then "shop"
    choose your car model
    browse at will.
    here is what I got.
  • griffin7griffin7 Member Posts: 2
    Is it a simple procedure to change the speed sensor? The person I just bought my Sportage from recently busted it by going over a huge bump.

Thank you.
    lacking details like year, model,transmission, 4WD or 2WD, try this:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/avigex/speedsensor.jpg
    I NEED SOME WIRE DIAGRAMS READ #311. WHEN IT FIRST HAPPEND RADIO@CLOCK WERE FLICKERNG I WOULD MESS WITH THE WIRING ON THE COMP. AND I COULD GET IT TO WORK THEN IT WOULD START I WOULD PUT IT IN GEAR AND IT WOULD STALL AND IT WOULD START MESSING UP AGAIN PLAY SOME MORE AND IT WOULD DO IT AGAIN NOW ALL IT DOSE IS TURN OVER NO CHANCE WITH WIRING THE TRUCK WILL NOT START PLEASE HELP I FOUND THE WIRE DIAGRAMS LAST YEAR BUT I CANT FIND THEM ANY MORE PLEASE LEAVE LINK IF HAVE ANY INFO. I KNOW THIS IS A HUDGE DEAL KIA SHOPS ARE NO HELP I OWN A LOT OF CARS FORDS@CHEVYS IF YOU NEED HELP THERE MECHANICS THEY WILL HELP YOU TRY TO FIX IT KIA WONT HELP AT ALL IN FACT I DON'T THINK THEY EVEN KNOW WHAT THERE DOING YOU CALL ALL THEY SAY IS YOU'LL HAVE TO BRING IT IN I'M NOT PAYING FOR THERE GUESSES I'VE HAD A MISS SINCE DAY 1 I HAD IT IN AT LEAST 5 TIMES IT WAS EXCUSE AFTER EXCUSE I HAVE RE PLACED MY PLUGS@WIRES 3 TIMES (I CAN TEAR DOWN THE MOTOR FASTER THAN ANYONE AND THATS SLEEPING NO JOKE) IN SHORT I LIKED MY SPORTAGE BUT IF YOU WANT GOOD SERVICE BUY A FORD OR CHEVY NOT FOREIGN POS! NO BODY KNOWS HOW TO FIX THEM NOT EVEN KIA I KNOW I'M RITE BECOUSE I'V READ 3 DIFRENT FORUMS AND EVERY BODY SEEMS TO HAVE TROUBLE GETTING REPAIRS OR ANSWERS THERE HAS TO BE A REASON THEY WONT SELL REPAIR MANUALS I THINK THATS CRAP!!!!!! WHAT ARE THEY HIDING OR IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY NOT CUST. SERVICE NO MATTER WHAT U DO YOU CANT GET ANY ANSWERS.I HOPE SOME ONE CAN HELP ME. :mad:
    register at www.kiatechinfo.com
    however remote start/keyless entry/immobilizer are not detailed.
    and please release the caps lock: very hard to read.
    the truck don't have remote start or keyless entry. i'm not having ant luck with that site but i will try again. i'm kinda thinking i'ts a ground. i thought it could be the key but the windows would not work i should tell ya i replaced the comp. twice no change. sorry about caps lock i wanted it bold. can you help me with a link? thanks for your fast responce! :)
    thanks for making me try kiatech it again i got in i found what i was looking for these wire diagrams are way better than the other ones. now i got work to do SWEET!!! :)
  • romadoorromadoor Member Posts: 3
    Hello
    I have a 2002 Kia Sportage that a new battery will go dead in 24 hours. If I remove the FUEL PUMP RELAY or take the INJ FUSE out, then the battery will stay up to normal power. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe
    The fuel pump relay normal operation needs 2 conditions:
    it takes +12V from the Main relay....so this relay would have to be ON in the first place. Then the f.p. relay coil takes it ground side from the computer...so it would mean something weird on that side too....both at same time a very low probability.
    circuit
    The INJ fuse in fact cuts 12V to a lot of things, including the feed to the fuel pump relay power contact, which is then HOT at all times.
    My guess is the fuel pump relay is stuck..power contacts are welded.
    YOu could test that by removing the relay and testing the relay with an ohm meter or with a continuity tester between contacts 1 and 5. They are probably shorted.
    Change the f.p. relay. (a frequent culprit).
  • griffin7griffin7 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for your reply! I am very grateful for the pictures and they are very helpful. I will be trying to change it on a 2000 Sportage 2wd, automatic.

Thank you again, and be well...
    The computer, Fuel pump relay and MAP sensor have all been replaced, still does it. There is a ground output to the relay from computer with key off. Some one or the factory put a jumper across the relay output to the coil which makes the relay latch on, is this factory or someones bandaid? I remove it and the car will not start.
    Thanks, Joe
    ... There is a ground output to the relay from computer with key off.
    YOu mean the ground side of the fuel pump relay coil is grounded permanently ?

Some one or the factory put a jumper across the relay output to the coil I remove IT and the car will not start.
    WHich relay? We are still talking the F.P. relay? " IT" means the jumper of the relay?
    THis is not clear....don't understand.

Anyway, this looks like patchwork....
    Check action of the MAIN relay first when you turn KEY ON.
    Follow the diagram for testing where and when +12V and ground are applied to relay coils.
    When you describe your tests, mention relay name, diagram pin numbers and wire color to report your findings.
  • sheri664sheri664 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where the fuel filter is located on a 2002 KIA Sportage 4x4? I can't seem to find a diagram anywhere, and it isn't listed in my book. Any help you can provide is GREATLY appreciated. I see you can purchase a fuel filter, I just need to know where to put it!

Thanks,
    Sheri
    Here
    This is in engine compartment, bolted on right hand frame low below battery (if you have battery on right hand side, of course; right hand drive models have battery on the left) I have checked mine for a better idea.. Honest.....I did not remember seing it....went to www.kiatechinfo.com (you can register for free for a lot of first hand info). then had a look at mine..had to peek for several seconds before finding it ...I think I would remove battery to get better access, of may be from the wheel well after removing tire.....
    Is this simply preventive maintenance or is there a problem you think might be linked to filter ? mine is a 2000 with 62000 miles and no problem there (but I do not know of previous maintenance as I bought it at 42k miles) and will wait until necessary, I dont like the location :(
    ...ahhh..and I just found my fuel tank was leaking again.... :mad:
    I've been checking closer, the output from the computer, output # 27, will not give a negative signal to the coil of the main relay, someone wrapped a jumper wire around the relay terminals which kept the engine control system powered up all the time which ran the battery down. I'm not sure why the compter will not give a negative output signal to main relay when the key is on? If I can not find what the reason is, then I will use another add on relay to power with a negative signal to the main relay from the ign switch. Do you know any reason why the computer will not give signal to main relay? Thanks for the wire diagrams, they are a big help! Thanks, Joe
  • tcolburntcolburn Member Posts: 1
    My daughter's '02 Sportage has been experiencing intermittent problems with the power window system lately. Specifically, the left rear window will lower when the switch on the driver's door is depressed, but then won't come back up when either the driver's door switch or left rear door switch is pulled up. Repeatedly activating the switch may or may not eventually get the window to close.

Am I looking at a switch problem, a regulator (motor) problem, or a relay problem? And where are the relays, anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Tim Colburn
    Park Forest, IL
    :) I found the short under the fender i pulled the boot and found 2 harnesses i found IGS (icky green stuff) i jumped the wires and VROOM it's still not smooth but it runs :) . thanks for the help imp4! :shades:
    Do you know any reason why the computer will not give signal to main relay?
    The computer uses its logic to turn ON a "driver" transistor that makes the ground connection. This transistor can be shot, or the logic has failed. some ECM's can be opened to replace discrete transistor, I do not know a bout ths one. Anyway, your "bypass" relay is a good option
    ..switch issue, most probably main driver switch..or one conductor to the door . check diagram
    Pull passenger witch, disconnect wire bundle, check for solid ground contact at 3 and 6 of wire bundle. If one fails, problem is with driver switch.
  • jhl1jhl1 Member Posts: 10
    The injectors have no signal. The garage put a new fuel pump in it,no change. They put a different computer in it,no change. Checked fuses and relays, all seem ok. Any help email me jluce74@hotmail.com Thanks,Jason
  • ort102ort102 Member Posts: 23
    Hi all i had wrote a post sometime ago about how my headlights,dashlights (also the lights around the gas and temp guage work whentey want) and domelight all flicker when i drive my car. I was just wonderinig if anyone has had the same problem and if so how did you correct it? Any help would be great.
    i had a lot of stuff messin up on mine to (read blog jasinski)there are 2 wire harnesses under pass. side dash way up there. I took my fender off and pulled boot from the body pull out wires and check the harnesses for IGS i had 3 bad wires cut in new wires every thing works great. fenders are easy to remove napa has clips if any break. :)
    Just this diagram to show what is involved....including cam sensor....
    Check cam sensor connector, ground, +12V with key ON on all injectors green wire.
    We checked the power and we have +12v with the key on and off. The injectors wont open to start. The mechanic would like to talk to you if possible on the phone.
    we have +12v with the key on and off
    ??? you mean on the green wire of the injectors?...THis should be dead with key off....

At this time, I have personnally had no problem of that type,. so this info is strictly based on the diagrams. Some measurements can lead to confusion as measuring voltage on a disconnected socket without any load can measure a stray voltage, specially with electronics, that would collapse as soon as a load is connected. So I suggest you make a connection on one of the green wires, and use it to feed a test lamp, the other side of the lamp to ground, then try key ON and OFF. YOu can use a spare parking bulb as a test light, not a stop lamp as their current is much larger and the injector drivers are designed for just 1 amp.
    When the relay is plugged in the green wire is 12v with the key off & the black wire with white stripe is the same way. The mechanic changed the relay and no difference.
    Which relay?
    UNplug the MAIN relay for a test or pull out MAIN fuse out; and check those diagrams...specific to 2001 (the former one was 2000, most similar except BK/W wire .....

Black/white is feed to idle air control motor and should also be OFF with key off.

+12V to injectors and dile control comes from the main relay, not the F.P. relay. But if MAIN relay is frozen ON, then the F.P. relay will also be ON all the time. Since you have another relay available, replace the MAIN relay for a test.
    Someone had a quite similar problem recently on this or another forum, However this condition as such would not stop the car from starting....but it would drain the battery if car was left alone for some time.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/avigex/relays2001.gif
    http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/avigex/injectors2001.gif

CHeck under the seat for traces of water to the computer. The MAIN relay always has 12V on one side of its coil, and the other side of coil is grounded at KEY ON by the computer (located lower right side trim panel below the instrument panel, on the passenger side of the vehicle).
    We have 12v to all the injectors now but no ground signal when cranking the motor over. ?????????
    ...the grounding by the computer happens by very short impulses, except at KEY ON where "primer" is 1-2 sec.
    Cam sensor is part of the injection circuit, and has been suggested several times in similar cases, but I can't remember if one came with a definite solution saying that "the cam sensor was the culprit"....
    It is not clearly documented with this engine, but in my other car, a faulty cam sensor will just cause "random" injection and the car will run anyway, but then , it could give a "running rough" feeling....
    But this would pop a code, anyway....
    Check al connectors....and another forum member had found broken/shorted wires at the firewall near the computer .
    The mechanic checked all wires including the wheel well area and all were good. He still has no ground signal to the injectors. I'll email you some info.
  • cwoodardcwoodard Member Posts: 6
    I have had the prolem at various times with my 98 kia.... What seemed to cause the problem is the wiring coming out the side of the door was getting grimped or bunched up somehow? I could straighten out the wiring and the window would work fine. Its been just a few times it has happened and I have not had to fix anything. Hopefully the same will work for your daughter.
  • trace2001kiatrace2001kia Member Posts: 1
    I was driving home and it decided to just quit. my husband is trouble shooting to find out whats wrong. we cant get a repair manual. does anyone know where we can get a good repair manual or help trouble shooting our problem. my husband has repaired all of our vehicles over the years but this is different.

if you can truly help please email me. tracieeo@bellsouth.net :sick:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This may help: Online Repair Manuals

if you can truly help please email me...

That would deprive others of valuable information - let's keep the discussion here! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Good luck. My mechanic who is a 30 year master tech can't figure out the one we got. We have changed several items, checked wires, changed the computer and it still won't run. We found a seller on ebay who is from Canada that sells CD rom disc for Kia Sportages and my mechanic says it is a good disc.
    Register to www.kiatechinfo.com and you will have most of what you need, diagrams, codes, repair man uals.
    Abot you engine "quitting", what is mileage? above 65,000 miles, the timing belt is an almost mandatory maintenance item, and when the belt quits, that's just it: car stays there, and this is a very common occurrence.
    If you meet or exceed above conditions, pull front timing belt cover and check belt.
    Ok we are ready to give up. We just changed the cam sensor and no help. We still have no signal to the injectors from the computer. Anyone that has any ideas my mechanic would like to talk to you. He has Verizon Wireless for his cellphone carrier (free call verizon to verizon) or his home/shop phone. Let me know if you can talk to him. We are stuck.
  • sheri664sheri664 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,

I know how frustrating working on KIA's can be. They are rather difficult to work on. Just in case you haven't tried already, have you contacted KIA directly for help? I know the dealerships want to charge and arm and a leg, so you might want to try KIA directly. Also, craigslist has been informative for me. I don't know how much luck you will have with your situation, but it might be worth the effort.
    They make these cars almost impossible for one to work on. I have a 2002 KIA Sportage, and I regret the day I purchased it. It's been nothing but one big headache, and you can't even do simple repairs, like for example, give a tune up because you need a special "tool". I've always had to take it in, even for this simple repair.

I wish you luck, and I am sorry this has happened to you.

P.S. You may get more takers, if you post on craiglist. It doesn't seem like this website gets as much activity as you would think it would.
    repeat: What is mileage? Have you checked the timing belt?