Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Are gas prices fueling your pain?

altestaltest Member Posts: 79
Will you switch to a hybrid? Will you dump your SUV/ truck for a car/ crossover? Will you drive less? Will you switch to Asian makes? Will you add accessories that help you save gas? Will you drive in a more conservative manner... the so-called light-foot?

Have you already taken steps such as those mentioned above? If yes, please tell us what you did and whether it helped. If not, tell us what you think you are going to do.

Also, if you were driving in 70s when oil rose to all time high, what did you do? And, did that help?

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    keep doing what I've been doing, except maybe drive a bit more gently. I'm usually not a leadfoot anyway. I won't buy a new vehicle simply to get better fuel economy, but when the ones I'm driving wear out, they'll get replaced by something more economical.

When my 2000 Intrepid finally retires, I've thought about getting a 4-cyl Altima, but I've been thinking about that anyway. $4.00 gas wouldn't change that.

I'd probably cut the grass less often. And let parts of the yard return to forest.

As for the 70's, I was a kid back then and don't remember the first gas crisis. I do remember the second one, though. My Mom traded a 1975 LeMans coupe with a 350-2bbl for a 1980 Malibu coupe with a 229-2bbl. The LeMans rarely broke 15-16 mpg, while the Malibu regularly got lower 20's. That LeMans was getting pretty ratty though, so Mom was probably going to trade, anyway. However, had their been no fuel crunch, she might've gone for a V-8 in the Malibu instead of the V-6.

In 1979 we moved to Southern Maryland, about 40 miles from my grandparents. We had been living with them. Mom ended up getting homesick, so every other weekend we drove up to see them. So needless to say, even though Mom bought a more fuel-efficient car, we didn't do our part to conserve. :blush:
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Keep doing what I do...

2004 Nissan Armada about 10mpg towing the two toys below.
    1998 Baja 33ft Cigarette Boat w/Twin 502s getting about 3mpg and a 185gal tank
    1994 Subaru Legacy Race car about 4-6mpg on the track
    Looking at a 2008 Subaru Legacy SpecB as my "economy" car

-mike
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    I'll do the same thing I'm doing now: drive my 35 mpg Accent until a subcompact diesel hatchback shows up in this country.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Insulated myself against the pain of $4 by buying a Camry Hybrid (after owning a Civic Hybrid) and that price does not scare me much.

Go Go Hybrids !!! :D:D
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I wasn't driving in the 70's, so I can't answer that part.

But if gas does go to $4+ a gallon, I'll probably keep the Civic and add a Hybrid or another Civic to the garage. I do a lot of highway driving, and the difference between the gas and Hybrid Civic in both fuel economy and cost don't tip things in favor of the Hybrid model...
    Thanks Larsb, you are making up for my gas sucking hobbies! :)

-mike
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    "I'll do the same thing I'm doing now: drive my 35 mpg Accent until a subcompact diesel hatchback shows up in this country."

Thank you, yes, I will echo that sentiment, except that my car is a 40 mpg Echo (and my other car is a 35 mpg Matrix). Saw this gas price spike coming a while back, and made the trade then. I really hope they do bring some ultra-frugal diesel-powered small cars to the U.S. - that would be a hoot! :-)

Now I do a lot of driving, so even for me gas prices will have an impact if they get much above $4/gallon. I already employ some gas-saving habits in the way I drive. If gas gets to $4.50 or $5 I will definitely be reducing the amount that I drive, at least among the discretionary miles.

Which, by the way, is something everyone could probably do a lot of (reduction in miles driven) using simple tricks like combining errands, walking the errands of a mile or less from the house, carpooling for work, etc. You don't have to immediately trade in the old car for a new gas-sipper, which can be a major expense even if you calculate that it will save you money after year 2 or year 4 or whatever.

OTOH, trading out of a full-size V-8 pick-up into a Camry hybrid can save you several thousand dollars a year right off the bat, if you drive more than the average.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    ROTFLMAO....Mike, I don't know you but I do like your humor ! :D

Rocky
    :) From what I've read you are a big GM fan Rocky, how do you like those twin 502 Big Block Chevy's? 415hp each! If I push the Cig. Boat to it's limit of 75mph the fuel economy drops down to about .75mpg-1mpg!

The economy car for me the specB I think gets 19/25mpg!

Currently however I live in manhattan and take the train to work, so I guess that's a good trade off since I don't burn anything M-F :)

haaaaa

The way I look at things is that I work 3 blocks from Ground Zero, saw the 2nd plane hit with my own 2 eyes and had to walk home 12+ miles on 9/11 Do I really care how much money I spend in gas? Not really, I'm just glad I am here to be able to spend the money on the gas!

:)

-mike
    I have a cousin that lives in NYC, and was their in person on 9/11. WOW, you were really close to it all.

I'm just glad I am here to be able to spend the money on the gas!

Well I'm glad you are also...... ;) You put it into that perspective I suppose we should all feel lucky to be able to spend money on gas.

So you have twin 502's on your cig boat ? Where do you take it to run one of those at ? Lake Ontario ???? Two 415 hp engine's :surprise: Holy Smokes !!!

I also would say a lot of us wished we could take the train to work with these current prices !
    Rocky
    I take it out in NY Harbor, Hudson River, Jersey Shore, Lake George, and a few other lakes upstate NY in the Adirondacks.

Yep, I take the #1 train down to wall street, not a bad commute.

I replaced my 22ft boat that had a single 454 carburated that got 2.5mpg and if I drive somewhat sanely at 45-50mph I get about 3-4mpg with the bigger 33 with twin 502s since they are fuel injected and sip the gas better.

To put this back on track, yup, after that experience, I could care less where gas prices go, and won't drive a hybrid, just to drive a hybrid, life is way way too short to get caught up in driving or doing something you don't want to do.

-mike
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...what I already do, but cut down on unneccessary travel. I'd probably would quit my part-time gig as it requires a lot of travel. I'd have to get a sizable raise to compensate for the higher fuel prices or else it would no longer be cost-effective.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    digging my new '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. On a recent trip 40 miles north to Safford, AZ, my wife and I averaged 37.2 mpg with our CVT in 'D' for drive.

Sunroof open, of course! On weeks that I'm working I probably only put about 10 miles on the car, so that certainly helps with our energy costs!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    is that I'll continue to do what I've been doing, since fuel shot up to +$2.00 a few years ago:

Drive only to work and back home - wish I could stop that but unfortunately there isn't a bus / train line I could take
    Drive at the speed limit (only takes a few minutes longer to get to work)
    Cancel all trips
    Combine trips/errands, i.e. get fuel on way to work/home, go shopping on way home, take alternate route to accomplish this)
    Reduce spending, i.e. no dining out, shopping sprees, maintain the basics
    Get rid of all luxury items - my only luxuries are DirecTV and my celly, and unless traveling for work picks up again the celly go bye-bye
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    ....might be more interesting if the question was $6 or $8/gallon.

At 1000 miles a month, gas going from $3 to $4 does this:

@10mpg, your monthly bill goes up $100 (300-400)
    @30mpg, your monthly bill goes up $33 (100-133)

Not too bad.

But from $3 - $6, it looks like this:

@10mpg, your monthly bill goes up $300 (300-600)
    @30mpg, your monthly bill goes up $100 (100-200)

And from $3 - $8, it looks like this:

@10mpg, your monthly bill goes up $500 (300-800)
    @30mpg, your monthly bill goes up $167 (100-267)

A 30 mpg vehicle looks like effective gas price insurance :)
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Well I wanted to move anyway so I moved from 30 miles to work, to < 4 miles to work. All other driving is optional as I can run errands at the stores between home and work.

If things get really bad - like $8/gal gas, I'll make the wife get a 3rd job. :D
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I have already linked my errands,reduced pleasure drives,and spend the night more often at my bass fishing lake so I fish 2 days instead of 1 thereby reducing the number of fishing trip miles. Waiting for a Honda diesel as my next car.
    Wow, you guys are really impacting your life! Life is short don't short change yourself due to money! :(

-mike
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Someone has got to compensate for your toys! :)
  • altestaltest Member Posts: 79
    Diesel hatchback... does Volkswagen not make one? Bye the way, any downside to using diesel?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Thirteen years ago it was 1.22/gal and if it goes to $4 that would only be 3.27 times what it was 13 years ago.

If you haven't improved your income by at least 3.27 times since 1994, the problem is NOT the price of gas. ;)
    Sounds like I need to target 30 Mpg to avoid surprises... My Accord gives 30+ Mpg on highway. But on local roads, it's a lot less. Jetta diesel, Camry hybrid will probably do better... Any Escape hybrid owner in this forum? I am curious to know actual mpg of Escape hybrid.
    Good point... my salary increased, but not enough to cover for growing family, rising healthcare, rising rents (still don't own a home). Only bright spot in the world of rising prices --- Walmart!
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    I suspect the average income in the US or anywhere for that matter hasn't nearly tripled since 1994. In fact, I'd bet every penny I own on it.

Not many people can triple their income every decade. Talk about an unreasonable expectation.
    Volkswagen does (and so does just about everyone else), but they don't sell the Polo here. Rabbit is too large and heavy for me.

Some people complain about the smell and oiliness of diesel fuel, but that doesn't bother me. It typically runs about 0-15 cents more per gallon than premium gas around here, but the improved fuel economy more than makes up for higher pump price and it's available at practically every gas station I know of.
  • bayouguybayouguy Member Posts: 12
    Sell my House and live in my SUV! ;)
    LOL, so you going the way of that Bentley, owner that took the cash from his divorce and baught a Bentley to live in instead of a house or condo ? :P

Rocky
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    I suspect the average income in the US or anywhere for that matter hasn't nearly tripled since 1994. In fact, I'd bet every penny I own on it.

Not many people can triple their income every decade. Talk about an unreasonable expectation.

I agree fully. I'd imagine that most people would be willing to dance naked with the mailman if they saw their pay go up by 3x since 1994. Heck, I just double checked, and mine went up by about 2.4x over that period. But back in 1994 I had just gotten hired full-time, and was only 24. Now I'm 37, had a couple promotions, countless raises, etc. And after taxes, my take-home pay hasn't even doubled since 1994, although part of that is because I contribute to my 401k these days. Back in 1994 contributing to something like a retirement plan seemed like something only old people do. :)

But, to put it in another perspective, even if my income had gone up 3x since 1994, which would in theory make $4.00 gas no more of a burden to me than $1.22 gas was back in 1994, that basically means that in the past 13 years, all my work, promotions, raises, etc, has done nothing to get me ahead. And think of the 24 year old today who's just entering the workforce. Chances are he or she isn't making much more than I did back in 1994, let alone what I am now, after 13 years in the workfarce.
  • fordenvyfordenvy Member Posts: 72
    It was a mistake to start the war by the corrupt republicans, but now the damage is done and we need to finish it or we'll be looking at $10 a gallon. Democrats better not defund this war or I'll leave the party. $10 What would that mean? Well an increase in you gasoline bill to be higher than your mortgage. Over $1,000/month, compared to the $300 I do now. We the people gotten rid of a lot of the corruption in congress at vote day, but we still have more work to do. Do not vote for Hillary she is the Bush of the democrats. I've yet to find a candidate that dosen't support the war, but isn't planning on immediate withdrawl which would lead to a bigger, stronger Iran and more unstable oil prices. Do you think this is a problem we might have to face?
    This topic will end quickly if politics gets injected, so I'll say something quick...Iran needs oil money too desperately to see its revenues drop from instability. Us leaving would probably lead to more stabilty anyway, compared to today. So I disagree.

In any case, one thing $4 (or $6 or $8) gas will certainly not do is make me a republican :=)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Downsides?

Well, aside from the stench and hassle of finding a station that carries diesel, they don't get THAT much better mileage. Diesel fuel SHOULD be MUCH cheaper than gasoline but the oil companies took care of that!
    Oh, come on...what's it going to take! :P
    Cheney driving a Prius? I think I'm safe :=)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    Yeah, same here. I started work at my current employer in 2001, and I make more than double now. Of course, gas and housing has more or less doubled for me in the same time...so it all works out.

And being on topic...I'm paying about $3.20 right now...so $4 isn't going to change me at all. I combined trips and all of that back when gas was $1.50...so I will just eat the increase.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I just bought diesel for my Kubota tractor. Paid $2.91 for ULSD. Regular was $3.22 at he same station. Gas prices fluctuate more up and down than diesel. I don't think $4 gas would make any difference to us. We don't drive a whole lot. Wife's 1990 LS400 just turned 88k miles. My 2005 GMC PU is almost 2 years old with under 9000 miles. We would like a luxury SUV with a diesel engine. The only option for us today is the GL320 CDI.
    Will you have the same story next year when Honda brings that fine diesel to this country? ULSD is not as toxic smelling as our CA gas is.
    a good friend of mine back in the 80's drove diesel VW Rabbits. He thought they were the best thing since heated-up apple fritters. I thought those V-Dubs were smelly and made weird engine sounds...my friend was a mechanic and did his own work...he said those cars were sound as a pound, friends.

Still, ooh-oohh that smell, can't ya smell that smell?

And that nasty sound..they sound like they're not being oiled properly. Yuk! :sick:

Yes the high sulfur diesel was smelly. And the VW diesels in the late 1970s and early 80s were noisy. But they got great mileage and longevity. And when I tried buying one in 1978 there was a one year waiting list for the diesel dasher wagon that I wanted. I ended up buying an absolute piece of crap 1978 Honda Accord hatchback. If I remember correctly gas and diesel were over $1.50 a gallon. I know oil was over $30 per barrel. Interest on a new home was 15%. It was tough then and could get tough again.
    Sounds like a chicken-egg problem. Till we start buying diesel vehicles in large numbers, many gas stations won't start selling diesel. And, till they start selling diesel, we won't buy diesel vehicles in large numbers. Any solutions?

Couple of more questions: do diesel vehicles last as long as gasoline ones do? Is starting diesel vehicles in cold weather very difficult?
    15% interest rate?????????? Fortunately, I was in my diapers then. I'm paying 4.9% for my Accord now. And, I paid 2.9% for my previous vehicle (which happened to be a Chevy).
  • punkr77punkr77 Member Posts: 183
    Based on my current miles per year, and love of fast cars, I don't see changing much of anything if gas were to go to $4 tomorrow. I drive less than 7000 miles a year, so no biggie. Yes, I still grumble at the pump. But as soon as I turn the key, that V-8 grumble pushes it out of my mind (until the next fill up). Heck for every dollar per gallon increase, I'm only out $350 (figuring 20mpg). Each year of ownership probably runs me more in insurance, interest, tires, or repairs.

However, that's a choice each one of us must make. We can gripe about gas prices and how Big Oil is ripping us off, but there's not much we can do about it. Our government could, but that would mean making the current CAFE standards look like sheer gluttony which would kill SUV and truck sales and put the final nail in Detroit's coffin.
    Generally diesel engines are built heavier to take that higher compression. So they should and in most cases last longer than a gas engine. In So California there are plenty of stations with diesel. I drove my Mercedes Sprinter conversion van to Texas and back last Spring with no trouble finding diesel. It is at every truck stop you know.

I worked the last 25 years in the Arctic and diesel engines are all that was used. Gas engines would not hold up to the idling for long periods of time. Diesel engines started fine. They have to be plugged in when the temp does not get above 40 below for weeks on end.

The 15% was the interest on buying a home. It was hard to get better than 18% on a new car. Money is too easy to get now. It will be the cause of our next recession. $4 gas will just help it along.
    not ever falling below $2.00/gal for 87 no-lead again?

Just watching the numbers the last few years gradually moving upwards and barely moving downwards at all and thinking about foreign dudes making great profits off of us just secures the thought in my mind that we will never, ever, never again pay less than $2.00 for a gallon of 87 no-lead. Ever never. :cry:

• boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    I like diesel but being from California the problem is a word called Particulents. Euro diesel reduces particulants greatly but they are still higher than the type of Gas we are required to buy in my state. So unless we can get CARB to step back and kick the greenies off their back it will be a long time before we see real numbers in diesels.

But I have tried to stay ahead of the curve on this issue for the last few years. Kept driving my SUV by cutting my commute by about 75 percent about 15 years ago. Cut my cost again by selling the SUV and getting a Diesel Pickup and two compacts about five years ago. I have cut my commute again and sold the pickup and one of the compacts. Of course it is tempting me to reason my way into a Sporster, or even a rice burner V-twin. Right now gas would have to reach more than 9 bucks a gallon for me to spend what I did a year ago. In fact once I got rid of my Boat I don't think I have paid as much for gas a year as I used to for slip rent and insurance.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    iluv: ... and thinking about foreign dudes making great profits off of us ...

me: Here's a couple of points to consider - 1) Most of these oil producing countries don't have much else for an economy, and if you look at what they're grossing the number of people in the country and then compare it to the size of our economy, I still feel sorry for them. Oh, sure there are a few in each country who are getting very rich. 2) what are these countries going to do in 20 or 30 years or whatever for an economy when their oil starts declining? Sell sand? If you read up on Iran you find they have this problem of being very reliant on oil revenue, and oil production is declining, with internal demand increasing.

Also everyone should remember that if oil prices increase, oil usage will have to decrease globally based on your ability and willingness to pay for it. Who will be forced to reduce the consumption first? Answer - the poorer people of the world. Don't be among them!

Also if gasoline rises too fast, I'm not worried about $ paid at the pump. The economic consequences are much higher - most people would pay far more in total $, in losses in stocks and retirement, inflation would go up as shipping and raw materials go up (plastics are made from petroleum products) ... And maybe the economy shrinks and you lose your job?
    Sounds like diesel is the way to go... At this point only Volkswagen makes some. Why does GM, Toyota, etc. not offer diesel versions of midsize/ compact vehicles (cars/ SUVs/ crossovers) in the US? They make more money on a gas vehicle?
    Not all V8s are bad. I had a neighbour who drove a Grand Marquis. The Grand Marquis V8 easily delivered 25 Mpg on highway. I guess it also depends on the weight of the vehicle, any loads you are towing, highway vs. local roads, etc.
    The short answer is CARB.

The California Air Resources Board set emission standards for car and light trucks diesels so stringently that no manufacturer in the world could meet them. (Trucks and SUVs over 7500 pounds GVW were exempt, which is why GM, Ford, and Dodge sell heavy-duty diesel pickups.) Other states adopted CARB regulations, with the result that about 40% of the US population was effectively barred from registering new diesel vehicles. With only 60% of the potential market available, most manufacturers elected not to pay the expenses of certifying diesel vehicles for sale in the US. Mercedes-Benz and VW revived their US diesel offerings in the late '90s, apparently deciding that they could make enough per-unit profit to pay for the certification costs.

The advent of low-sulfur diesel (which allows the use of catalytic converters), the alignment of US and European diesel emission standards, and the development of new engines, catalysts, and particulate filters to meet those standards means that the tidal wave of European diesel engines (GM, Ford, Toyota, and everyone else you can think of already sell diesels in Europe) can finally make its way to this side of the Atlantic.
    that rattly, anemic sounding diesel engine sound at all points in the U.S. MPG increases sound only plausible, not a "for sure" thing. And don't forget that nice smelly black belch out the back from trucks and buses. Add a few mil automobiles to the mix and...air pollution...it will get...better? :confuse:

I may feel the same way?

I keep hearing how the newer diesels won't stink so I'll reserve judgement unil then.

I don't see sales taking off but I could be wrong.
This discussion has been closed.