Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    1) Auto. door locks don't work. When I hit unlock or lock, I hear the click and can see the knob on the driver's door move slightly, but it doesn't move up or down enough. I just haven't had the time to take the door apart yet.

I have the same problem with the front passenger door lock on my '99 CR-V EX. Sometimes it locks/unlocks, sometimes it doesn't; but the knob on the door always trys to move. I disassembled the door and the latch mechanism. It appears to be a worn pivot point that's activated by the eletric door lock actuator. The arm pivots, but it also moves up and down which is not what it's supposed to do. There was some dark residue around the pivot point that suggests it's worn. I've ordered a new latch mechanism and actuator (although the actuator is probably fine, it's all a pain to remove so I'm just replacing it).

The only reason I even attempted to disassemble the door was because I own a copy of the Honda CR-V Service Manual.

:)
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Thx for the info. Let us know when you've got the parts installed and what they cost. I too have the shop manual so I'll give it a shot. I'm sure the dealer would charge at least a couple hours labor.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Congrats. My 99 just turned 100K a few weeks ago.

I haven't had the lock problem you've described. All my repairs have been the result of self-inflicted damage or general maintenance.
  • luvmycrvluvmycrv Member Posts: 11
    Hi, everyone,

Has anyone got Toyo Ultra tires on their Honda C-RV? Today, I took my car into a Honda dealership for a service and was told that I needed new tires and that the tire they recommend is the Toyo Ultra tire. After reading what I could find on these, it looks like they are excellent on wet and dry surfaces but I haven't been able to find anything on how they handle in snow and ice. I live in Calgary, where there is often snow and ice on the roads for a few months of the year. Also, are these tires more expensive than perhaps I need to pay? Sounds as though they may not last as long as other makes, despite the excellent road grip. I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me on this. The snow will be here at any time now, so I know I need to see to this as soon as possible and I must admit I know nothing about tires. Not sure if I have the original tires on, but I think so - I bought my C-RV at four years' old, one and a half years ago. Mileage is now about 83,500 km. total. Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Your email bounced. The NY Times article you posted is linked in the Honda CR-V engine fires discussion (linked, because pasting the entire article gets us in trouble with the copyright lawyers).

steve_ "Honda CR-V engine fires" Oct 12, 2004 7:13pm

Steve, Host
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    Perhaps Motorcraft is trying to gain marketshare and is selling the semi-synthetiic at a lower cost. Also, I am pretty sure the Pennzoil contains some synthetic, check the bottle or go to website for specs.
     Here is some info you may find interesting since you also do your own changes. Before I went in for my bypass surgery I changed the filters on my Accord and CRV. I had the Fram Honda Blue filters on the cars {usually use WIX but had two left over}. Its been 5 weeks since my bypass and I am strong enough now so I just cut open the filters with a Dremel to check the media and found cardboard end plates in the filters. I was surprised to find cardboard instead of metal as all Honda filters before they switched to Fram had metal endplates. I am hoping that a few of the cheap Frams got mixed in and this is not the norm. Anyway Kizhe if you are using the Honda Fram's check, because I would not go beyond 5k to 6k with cardboard end plates.
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    Also, I would like to thank, Steve or Varmit for listing CRV fires in a separate discussion group.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Make sure you don't exceed the tongue weight when you use your hitch. I'm not sure but my guess is capacity is 150 or 200 lbs.

A 1.25" receiver leaves more of the capacity for whatever you want to carry. 2" will mean whatever you put on there will be heavier and use up some of that capacity.

So while is looks beefier, fact is you have less remaining capacity.

-juice
  • jderrjderr Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have a how to sheet for replacing the A/C filter if I want to do it myself? Or does it involve serious disassembly of the dash or something?

Thx
    Do you have a 1st or 2nd generation CR-V?

If you're looking for a quick and easy job, then it may not matter. Honda placed the filter under the passenger side of the dash. It does require a considerable amount of time and effort to dismantle the dash and replace the filter.
  • jderrjderr Member Posts: 5
    Sorry...forgot to specify. I have a 2000 EX
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    See my message #1077 in the Problems & Solutions thread. If you are a bit inclined mechanically, and don't mind slightly fiddly mechanical challenges, it is about a one hour job - you'll be quicker the second time ;-)
  • stevengordonstevengordon Member Posts: 130
    I'm up to 1500 miles on my '04 CR-V LX and I'm getting 23.8 MPG for mostly city driving (about 1/10th of my miles are on an interstate at 70 MPH for about 8 miles).

Anyway, I was getting 23.9 MPG in my 5-speed '99 Accord.

I'm hoping my mileage at least stays the same throughout the life of the vehicle. The only thing is, the CR-V is an automatic. Which tells me I was not as efficient a 5-speed driver as I could've been.
  • stevec10stevec10 Member Posts: 10
    I'm buying a set of Toyo Ultras for my CRV this week. Go to site www.1010tires.com they have consumer reviews for tires including the Ultra. The Ultra had an overall consumer rating of 3.8 out of 5 for snow traction and a 4.2 for wet traction. I hope this helps.
  • masteryodamasteryoda Member Posts: 41
    Hey everybody, I'm interested in the cargo area dimentions of the CR-V, to be exact what is the length of the cargo area with seats up and folded. Would I be able to transport a 6' folding table with seats folded? I'm able to do it in my 98 Legacy...
    I see you also have a Prius.

Just a teaser, but did you know the new '05 Legacy 2.5i wagon gets 23/30 mpg, and that's with AWD? 22/30 even with automatic.

The CR-V has less length but more height. Long flat items will probably fit better in your Legacy. It's also easier to fold the seats flat.

-juice
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    I'll have to take a look at that. I had Toyo's on my Accord - they performed well for me. thanks for the tip.
    Actually, I don't have a Prius, but I'm very interested in buying one. I'm not sure how it ended up in my profile, :). But any how, my friend's Rodeo is smaller in length that CR-V and I think it will fit that table. I tried to search the internet for complete dimentions, and I couldn't find them.
    Oh, sorry. I checked your profile to get some background on what you might be interested in. So I figured fuel economy was up there.

Take the table with you on a test drive. Why not?

When we go, we take both kids and their car seats for a test fit. Seems reasonable to buy a vehicle that "fits" you.

-juice
    Ah... you do know that the CR-V comes with a folding table as standard equipment, right?

I'm not 100% certain, but I doubt that a 6' table is going to fit with the seats folded forward. The CR-V's cargo area isn't that long.

However, you would be able to fit it with the seats folded backward. They recline back into the cargo area at about a 30-40 degree angle. So you'd be able to put the table on the back seat.
    That is one might big table. Are you a massage therapist or something, and need to travel around with a portable massage table?

If so I have this lower back pain and my address is...

;-)

-juice
    No, I'm not a massage therapist, but I sure could use one myself, :). This is a normal 6' folding table, that I transport a lot to some family or friends gatherings and it fits perfectly in my legacy. My Legacy length is 184 inches or 15.3', CR-V is 181 which is 15.03', so the difference shouldn't be that big or am I doing something wrong?
    The SUV style dicates a longer nose so you might end up giving up a little interior length.

Try varmint's suggestion, or you could even strap it to the roof rack. Maybe even get a smaller table, which combined with the built-in one would give you more table top space overall.

Good luck.

-juice
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Or..wait till this weekend, and I'll measure mine, and let you know...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Depending on your needs, there's also the Element. A 6' table will fit in there. And it also has a larger folding table than the CR-V (but you have to buy the legs as an accessory).

There are, of course, many trade-offs which could make the Element inappropriate, but it would fit that table.
    Get a Scion xB.

That virtually *is* a table. Just throw a table cloth over top and voila. ;-)

-juice
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    2005 CR-V forum(New Models) seems to have been changed to "read only"...I guess 'cause the 2005 CR-V's are here already? On a roundabout related note: Our local community (Markham, ON) newspaper has recently featured both the Honda Fit/Jazz and the FR-V. Now we know the Fit/Jazz is coming, but the FR-V? Do they know something we don't? And since the FR-V and CR-V are platform-related, does anyone think the next-gen CR-V will adopt the FR-V's 3+3 six seat layout? It certainly would make it unique among it's class. And a 6 seat CR-V may be more palatable for North American tastes than the oddly-styled FR-V.
    Maybe I don't understand something, but it seems to me that legacy's engine bay should be as long as CR-V, if not longer as the engine is a bit bigger in size on Subaru. Also, the does anybody have the data on how different is the reaction time on the new RT4wd compared to the old one?
    Subaru's packaging is compact because of its boxer layout. It's an H4, north-south. But unlike BMW's north-south in-line 6, we're only talking about 2 cylinder from each bank adding length, while BMW's has 6.

That's why the 3 series has limited leg room despite a much longer wheelbase. The Legacy is more space efficient.

That kind of leg room up front lets them move the front seat a bit forward, both seats actually, and leaves a relatively long cargo area.

-juice
    Wheelz - I doubt very much we'll see a vehicle with the 3+3 seating configuration from the FR-V/Edix. Middle seats go to kids, even if they are staggered. US buyers have been trained not to put kids in the front row.

IMHO, it would be a cute gimmick, but not something that would translate into more sales. I have no problem with gimmicks (like the picnic table and "bed"), but the extra seat and airbag would be an expensive one.
    Masteryoda - I'm not sure why Juice thinks that the Legacy would have a shorter front end. Especially, since it has a boxer 4 (2 cyls wide), while the CR-V has a transversely-mounted inline 4 (1 cyl wide). And the Legacy must also make room for an H6. But, by the same token, I'm not sure why the overall length of the vehicle is in question. That has little to do with the interior length. I mean, part of the CR-V's length comes from having a spare tire on the back.

In the case of the CR-V, the way the seats fold makes a bigger difference than the length of the vehicle. Notice in the picture below, you are looking at the bottom of the seats. The cargo floor is the floor under the seats, not the back of the seat.

Folded seats pic

That's because the seats fold back to cushion, then flip up. And I disagree with Juice about the Legacy being any easier. With the CR-V, it's one motion. You don't even need to remove the headrests and it's as flat a floor as you can get.

Honestly, your best bet is to take Juice's earlier advice. It's Friday. Take the rest of the afternoon and visit a dealer. Bring the table and see what's up.

As for the new RT4WD system, nobody knows. That's something I'm working on.
    Since I've mentioned things I'm working on, here's the latest article for the CR-V FAQ.

varmint "Honda CR-V Owners: FAQ" Oct 21, 2004 7:55pm

This is i-VTEC as used in the CR-V.
  • lil302000lil302000 Member Posts: 149
    SUVs or 4x4,AWD station wagons? I could be mistaken, but when I look at this class of cars it becomes a hard sell. To me there are several nice mid size cars that can be had loaded for the price of these vehicles. Don't get me wrong I think they do have buying advantages.
      Things such as higher egress for taller people, Most of them have more head room, and most of them have full size spare tire. As for the drive train, driving in Ohio for most of my life if my FWD car can't get me there than I should stay home no matter what I drive.
      Please don't take this as a shot at those that choose this platform because they are nice and if someone likes the way they look that is as good as any reason to buy. I just kind of feel the makers have snuck one in on us by taking the economical station wagon away and replaced it with higher priced mini utes and mini vans.
    Yep. That's pretty much the story. Though you could look at from other angles as well. These mini-utes are also taking sales away larger truck-frame SUVs and big minivans.

And the most recent growth in the market has been toward the more car-like crossover SUVs, rather than the big trucks. Vehicles like the new Ford Freestyle, Chrsyler Pacifica, and Cadillac SRX are more like the Subaru wagons than they are SUVs.

I'm sure if you go back in time far enough, you'll find somebody asking if the auto makers are sneaking one in on us with them new-fangled station wagons. =)
    Things such as higher egress for taller people, Most of them have more head room, and most of them have full size spare tire.

I'm 5'10" and bump my head getting into or out of most "midsized" sedans, or feel like I'm going to bump my head on the ceiling every time I drive over a speed bump. I know this because I travel regularly for work and drive a lot of rental cars. Even most minivans pose a problem for me, especially the Dodge/Chrysler minivans.

I like to drive sitting in an upright position, perhaps because the first vehicle I truly loved was a '67 VW Van, which I drove for nearly a decade. In any case, I can't imagine buying a sedan anytime in the future.

As for the drive train, driving in Ohio for most of my life if my FWD car can't get me there than I should stay home no matter what I drive.

I currently live near Indianapolis, but was born, raised, and then escaped from So California. Even after living in the midwest for more than 13 years, I still feel challenged by ice. The RT4WD of my CR-V allows me to relax while I'm driving, confidant that I won't end up in a ditch.

JM2C :)
    Once it's at the dealer, it's no longer a future model. Welcome to the, er, normal(?) CR-V forum :-)

Steve, Host
  • lil302000lil302000 Member Posts: 149
    agree it does seem the station wagon is making a come back. From small ones to large ones I am seeing more of them in the market. Dodge even has one on steroids. As for the big utes not my cup of tea as well. I have driven them and don't care for the ride, I prefer the ride and comfort of a nice larger sedan.

I must admit that the mini van we used to have served us well, but not much fun factor in those. So I offset it with the bike. Speaking of fun factor that could be another reason to consider a mini ute such as the CRV.

I just like the smooth quiet ride of the sedan as opposed to the stiffer louder ride of utes. Keep in mind I am not saying anyone is wrong in choosing the mini ute, as vehicle choice is a personal thing and valid to whoever makes their choice. We are lucky to have the wide selection that we do have.
    Forgot to mention this earlier.

I stopped by the dealer the other night on the way home from work and checked out the '05s. One of the things that was questioned in the (now retired) 2005 CR-V thread was whether or not the VSA system also included traction control.

It does. When I have time, I'll do an article on this for the FAQ. Until then, here's the deal.

VSA will engage the brakes based on whether or not the vehicle is taking the path intended by inputs from the driver. This help to prevent a spin or slide when driving on slippery surfaces.

Traction control engages the brakes when the ABS sensors detect that one wheel is slipping. Braking a slipping wheel allows it to regain traction, rather than spin uselessly.

The description of the VSA system in the CR-V sales manual states that it engages the brakes when it detects wheel slippage under 20mph. That's essentially the same description used for traction control in my 2001 Acura TL. This feature will provide supplemental aid to the RT4WD system.

I wasn't able to find out any more about the upgraded RT4WD system. I'll keep working on that.
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    My opinion, traction control is a lethal weapon. My experience with a Toyota Camry is that had is, it was a deadly weapon for suicide afficinados. Lets say you are making a left turn on a very busy throuofare on a rainy day. You gun the throttle to merge quickly into traffic and your left wheel starts to spin and bam, the traction control kicks in and applies the brake. You panic and give it more gas because you have an 18 wheeler bearing down on you who you have just cut in front of. The engine thinks your wheel is really spinning to fast and shuts down cylinders. The only way to stop this unfortunate chain of events is to let off the gas for a second or two. Now this truck is ready to make you into an accordion. Traction control sucks and now Im bummed I have to buy a vehicle with it.

My 2 cents
    Lets say you are making a left turn on a very busy throuofare on a rainy day. You gun the throttle to merge quickly into traffic and your left wheel starts to spin and bam, the traction control kicks in and applies the brake. You panic and give it more gas because you have an 18 wheeler bearing down on you who you have just cut in front of. [emphasis added]

So you make an aggressive move in a traffic situation that screams for conservative driving and it's the fault of your vehicle? Hardly. You chose to "cut in front of" that 18 wheeler. If you tried that same move in rear wheel drive vehicle made before the advent of things like ABS, airbags, and traction control you'd probably have spun out and ended up in an even worse situation.

As with detractors of ABS when it was first released, I'm sure there are people who will think vehicles with traction control systems are more dangerous than the "old, reliable" vehicles without traction control. And they'll be wrong, too.

JM2C
    Racoon,

Since I ditched my Camry, life is fine. I have an Envoy that pulls into traffic just fine. Maybe you are lucky enough to live in North Dakota where there is no congestion and can crawl into traffic when making a left turn. I live in a crowded area and if you don't move sprightly into traffic, then you are destined to go nowhere. Im surprised you didn't offer the suggestion to make 3 right turns instead of making anymore lefts when the street is wet.

How about offering some constructive advice instead of calling me a detractor, or possessor of buggy whip mentality. Or worse yet, if I dare to say that traction control sucks, then I must be Ted Kozinski, Mr. anti technology.

I think a system that shuts your engine down, involuntarily, while trying to make a turn is dangerous. The service writer at the Toyota dealer agreed with me and said it was a frequent complaint. I guess they are all Ted Kozinski's as well.

If this harrowing event happened to you with your family in the car almost being killed, perhaps your smugness wouldn't be so luminous

Two year
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Took a fairly quick test drive of an '05 SE yesterday--new pewter color which is a bit darker than I'd anticipated but nice. The good news IMO is that it is a very nice package and pretty affordable by today's standards. I have not previously driven one and was very impressed with the amount interior/cargo room in a relatively small package. It would be great for our needs except......I thought the seats were (not to mince words) awful. I assume that Honda has determined their market for the vehicle doesn't require a power driver's seat in a 25K+ vehicle (something I'd disagree with), but also found the leather seating to be just rock hard. And I'm coming from a Subaru, which are not exactly known for having -soft- seats.
    I don't think anyone was being smug and I think attempting left turns in heavy traffic is dicey, with or without traction control (I learned the hard way after smashing into a Caddy back in 1980 trying that - now I just take a right and find a light to make a protected turn at).

Steve, Host
    I wonder if the traction control in the CRV could be disabled? Sometimes they have a switch that will do just that. I wonder if Varmint noticed such a means when he was at dealer checking them out?

My first guess would probably be no. Honda probably doesn't want to upset the "fung shway" of the anti-lock, VSA, and traction control features since they are all tied together.

Steve, I hope you weren't messed up too bad from the accident. Usually people like you who have been through something so traumatic afterwards choose to drive trucks like the hummer H1, not the smaller H2.

Two year
    We all survived, but the ribs were a mess (I had just picked up some take-away from the local BBQ joint and was in too big a hurry to get home). The beans, alas, were a total loss.

Steve, Host
  • cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    lumbar said: It would be great for our needs except......I thought the seats were (not to mince words) awful. I assume that Honda has determined their market for the vehicle doesn't require a power driver's seat in a 25K+ vehicle (something I'd disagree with), but also found the leather seating to be just rock hard. And I'm coming from a Subaru, which are not exactly known for having -soft- seats.

When you say "awful", is it that you find the seats uncomfortable? Or are you like me, and find the seats actually painful?

Until I learned of the CR-V fires, my number one (and only) complaint concerning our CR-V was the seats.

I'm not rich - I've never owned a BMW or a Lexus or anything like that. My cars have been more on the inexpensive side, including a '94 Civic my son has now, and a '99 Escort. And even in these less expensive cars, the seats were WAY more comfortable than the seats in our CR-V; certainly, they did not cause pain.

Most people don't have a problem with the seats, but if you do have a problem, it's a serious problem and a legitimate reason to look elsewhere for your vehicle. And if it was obvious to you during a fairly short test drive (I didn't feel it at all during a long test drive), it's a problem that's not going to go away.
  • totallycewltotallycewl Member Posts: 5
    Tks for that update...if this is helpful here's what the temple of Honda says, "New Cam-driven Real Time™ 4WD mechanism on all models (replaces hydraulic pump-type system)" What exactly this means is beyond me. Still wondering.
    If this harrowing event happened to you with your family in the car almost being killed, perhaps your smugness wouldn't be so luminous

I wouldn't put my family in the situation as you originally described. Their safety comes first, even if it means taking longer to reach our destination.

JM2C
    Maybe you are lucky enough to live in North Dakota where there is no congestion and can crawl into traffic when making a left turn. I live in a crowded area and if you don't move sprightly into traffic, then you are destined to go nowhere.

Your profile lists your location as Rochester, NY. I lived in the Rochester, NY area for four years (Greece for a year, then moved to Webster, worked in Irondiquoit). I currently live near Indianapolis, which is more than double the size of Rochester, NY (triple if you count the suburbs). I learned to drive in one of the most over populated areas in the country, Los Angeles County. I know about traffic. And I know not to turn in front of oncoming traffic if there's a possibility I won't be able to get out of their way.

JM2C
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    You have to admit... you haven't read that phrase on Edmunds before.. :-)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator