Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

Comments

• txbricklayertxbricklayer Member Posts: 16
    Yesterday and today,on starting, the panel went thru its check steps but after that the entire panel was dark. Restarting caused the problem to go away. Any body else seen this? This is a 2008 Acadia about a year old, 5,000 miles.
  • stuckonmestuckonme Member Posts: 9
    It's 3 times for the same thing, and also 30 days out of service meaning you have not been able to drive it because it was in the shop , it does not have to be 30 days in a row, just total of 30 days. It sounds like you have had enough problems for the dealer to be highly concerned about, but no they will keep stringing you along as much as they think you will accept. Make sure everytime
    you take it in they document the exact problem word from word, make sure the the dates are correct from the date you take it in to the actual day you pick it up.
    You need to call GMC customer service and start a complaint file, that way it is documented by them. :sick:
  • eric_red08eric_red08 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Acadia also has this rough idle problem during initial start up after sitting over night. Is this really a bad gas issue?? Anthony008, is your 2007 Acadia still exhibiting this issue, or has it been resolved? Has anyone else seen this problem?
    Thanks for your help.
  • safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    I have a 2007 and a couple of months ago (27000 miles) I had a rough idle after it sat over night. The roughness lasted for only about 10 -15 seconds and went into regular idle. I dropped it off at the dealer for an overnight start and they said they did not see this happen when they started it. I took it hope and the next morning I had the same problem.
    The problem then disappeared and has not happened since. Car runs fine. :confuse:
  • txbricklayertxbricklayer Member Posts: 16
    On Sept 8 I posted about my panel lights going dark.

Turned out my grandson had 'dialed' the dash lights down to 'minimum'. LOL
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I had a computer monitor go "bad" like that one time. :shades:
  • 007rich007rich Member Posts: 1
    Have an Acadia AWD that I bought in March 07 (currently has 31K miles). There is so much to like about the vehicle that it's frustrating to always have some issues that spoil the vibe. I have learned to live with the transmission issues (that I think have been well documented) - poor shifting, lack of power etc. since we first owned the vehicle. Have had several software upgrades for Transmission but saw very little (positive) change in performance.
    Have also experienced the occasional loss of power steering that some have mentioned - which I see as potentially very dangerous condition - the fact it only lasts a second or two is small comfort when you have 3 kids in the car and can't control the vehicle.
    Other issues have included the loss of battery power when sitting in parking lot listening to radio (which others have noted) and tendency for car to roll forward after stopping the engine (in park). Vehicle also does not retain position in gear at stop light or traffic light, but rolls back unless you keep your foot on brake (this is pretty weak for a car of this cost I think) - I'd understand that with stick shift where you have to 'hold' the car via pedals, but this is unacceptable at this level.
    Finally, my Acadia is currently at dealer having major work done to repair drive shaft. It's covered under warranty, but was significant cause for concern when I was driving in city yesterday. Car started shuddering uncontrollably at 20mph and when going above that felt like car was going to shake itself apart. Got towed and safely to dealer but yet another frustration to add to the list.
    Gas mileage stinks and is nowhere near what they pitch in ads etc. Its a big SUV so unless you are driving 60mph plus all the time you'll never get anywhere close to their specs.
    I love the look, the style, the interior, the spaciousness, but hate that its lacking in areas that are so critical to the ride and would allow me to recommend it to others.
    Hopefully they've figured things some things out since my purchase.
    Note: Seems standard practice for dealers to indicate problems as 'normal condition' for all the things that I repeatedly see here as issues for every owner - are you listening GM?
  • wantreliefnowwantreliefnow Member Posts: 4
    I have had my 08 Acadia FWD for 1 month -very disappointed with the MPG!! I am getting 11.5 to 12 MPG, dealer today said the computer showed 14.9. All of the driving I have done for the last tank was city driving. I am calculating manually and will continue to do so. If the odometer is jumping it should err on the side of better mileage but who knows how to prove that issue. I have a long way to go to invoke the lemon law and doubt I will get anywhere as GM is protected by the "mileage estimate" disclaimer. Does anyone know if a 25% variance in MPG is enough to invoke Lemon Law? I want to keep the vehicle, but want GM to pay me for the additional gas I need to buy over the life of the vehicle. Any ideas?
  • anthony008anthony008 Member Posts: 4
    I was told it was a gas issue in SE La. At the time I was using Shell gas and then switched to another station that does not use ethanol and the problem went away. I have used Shell gas in other states and have had very slight issues. My problem started about April and I stopped using Shell gas. I have used BP, Exxon gas in Gulf Shores, Mobile and Birmingham with no issues. I believe GM was right that the gas contained to much alcohol and it took Shell to long to get the process straight. I will tell you Shell gas SUCKS....They are know for dumping bad -blended gas on the market.
  • manufan1manufan1 Member Posts: 26
    I want to keep the vehicle, but want GM to pay me for the additional gas I need to buy over the life of the vehicle. Any ideas?
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dear, your dream sounds too sweet to me.
    Yes it is a dream but when will the manufacturers ever learn? In doing some research I learned that the Lemon Law is difficult to enforce for MPG reasons unless the mileage is off by 50%. Also, the service manager at my dealership said that GM recommends Regular Quiktrip gas as the best gas for optimum MPG. He said their formulation is the best. He asked for my manual mileage calculations which I am glad to provide.
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    However GM doesn't come up with the MPG numbers. The EPA does and it clearly specifies results may vary.

From following the Honda Pilot message boards I've seen results vary widely and manytime comes down to location, driving style and conditions. CIty conditions can be very different and perhaps yours are worst case. 10 to 12mpg happens for the PIlot too.
  • rbellcparbellcpa Member Posts: 9
    Yes, the steering problem in wet weather is on the 2007 model.
  • ppalonskyppalonsky Member Posts: 34
    I had the groaning sound on my 2007 and took it to the dealer. They checked the power steering fluid and it was full. However they found a service bulletin which states that the power steering fluid needs to be topped off above full. Have your dealer check for this bulletin. However I never had any loss of steering control. This is unacceptable and in my opinion you should insist the dealer replace the power steering pump under warranty.
  • cway77cway77 Member Posts: 11
    Hello,

No problems yet but thats becuase I just picked up my 08 Acadia yesterday. When I got it home and started to get it situated found this long bundle of wires attached to a square electrical component on the end. Looks like this could deffinitly plug into something but wondering if anyone has a clue as to what?? It was just freely sitting in that compartment and not attached to anything. I couldn't find anything in the maual about this and am very curious. Any insight on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Chad
  • safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    Did you order the trailering package? If you did, like I did, that is alternate wiring for a different kind of electrical hook up.
    That compartment is also where you Satelite/Radio Attentena is stored when it comes from the Factory. I found that out on the drive home from the dealer when I had lousy reception on the radio. I called the dealer and they said "whoops" we must have forgot to put that little antenna on. They told me where to find it (the compartment) and that is when I found the wiring harness you are talking about. :) No problem.
  • texicbtexicb Member Posts: 3
    Not sure if you're still checking this thread but I have the same leak problem w/ my 2007 Acadia SLT - I'm wondering if it's even worth the hassel of going through the dealership at this point From what I have researched and read from this forum, GMC is either unaware (or at least unconcerned) about the potenial severity of mixing water and electricity. Have you found a resolution for the reason or origin of the leak(s) you experienced? In mine, the water seems to be making entry from somewhere in the front portion of the roof, possibly the parallel seam moldings on either side of the roof or the roof rack anchors in the front. The water runs straight down into the interior door frame angling downwards towards the driver's side fuse panel and the passenger's side glove box and literally pours onto the floor mats. Please let me know what you have found out....
    Apparently, GMC is either unaware (or at least unconcerned) about the potenial severity of mixing water and electricity. My 2007 Acadia SLT has leaks in a yet undetermined origin in the roof. The water seems to be making entry from somewhere in the front portion of the roof, possibly the parallel seam moldings on either side of the roof or the roof rack anchors in the front. I'm confident it is not the sunroof. The water runs straight down into the interior door frame, soaking the the outer headliner and angles downward towards the driver's side fuse panel and the passenger's side glove box and literally pours onto the floor mats. Given the location of this vehicle's primary electrical circuit loads and fuse panel, this is a very dangerous place to have water present. I have read some other threads about the same type of leak(s) causing severe electrical problems which could (and will) cause a catastrophic electrical failure while driving. If anyone has any information regarding the origin and reolution for this leak situation, please respond and let me know.
    I had water in the front passenger foot well on my new Acadia 08. The dealer said there was a factory recall fix which involved a drain tube of some kind. Since it has been installed, I have had no other leaks. I never had a wet headliner and that is terrible.
    I haven't heard anything about a factory recall - the recalls usually take a few years to pop up because the manufacturer (GMC) doesn't want to jump the gun. I have read many forums and blogs that mention the problem stemmed from the drain tubes/hoses which were not connected or connected improperly. CAN YOU PROVIDE THE INFORMATION YOU RECEIVED ON THE RECALL, MAYBE A RECALL # OR CODE. IF THERE IS A RECALL FOR THIS PROBLEM, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW. You can contact me a eric.g.richards1@navy.mil...Thanks!
  • acadia59acadia59 Member Posts: 4
    Let me just say - 1-800-lemonlaw. I will never make fun of that commercial again! They are WONDERFUL.
    I signed the final paperwork last week, dropped off my Acadia, and picked up my new car later that day.
  • coltsfancoltsfan Member Posts: 13
    I love our '07 Acadia -- but there are some issues that just can't seem to be resolved to our satisfaction. 1) gas mileage drop of about 5 mpg, both city & highway. 2) gas smell coming out of the vents. The dealer can't seem to find any problems -- they say all is good!!! Funny, though, that these 2 problems happened at the same time. Just a coincidence??? I just don't think so!! This can't be something "good". Now we're thinking about trading. I will truly miss this car, but can't see spending $$ on an extended warranty that may not cover things that have already been problems. I've seen several of the same problems also on the '08 models. I really wish GM could get this car put together!!!

Thinking of looking at a Ford Edge. I know it's smaller & doesn't have all the fun toys/buttons of the Acadia.
  • hanswalterhanswalter Member Posts: 1
    This is my wife's 2008 Acadia with less than 9000 miles.
    This is the second time I've had it towed to the dealer, about 40 miles away. I did post a notice with the BBB , just as a backup. The first time the dealersaid there was a module problem and had to reset the computer. The first symptom, engine light , it wouldn't shut off. Ran rough and could not get any power, even flooring it. Then buzzing under the hood.
    This time did not notice any engine light. Ran rough, would not shut off, and the same buzzing under the hood. Next morning went to move it and the battery was dead. I love the looks and comfort of the car. But I've told GMC fix it, give me a new one , or give me my money back so I can buy a Lexus. Which my wife wanted in the first place but I really liked the looks of the Acadia. And buying our first American GMC.
    The people at GMC Response, were very nice, but want me to wait. They think they have fixed it.
    I wonder where my wife will be when it dies again.
  • jacsdad19jacsdad19 Member Posts: 2
    I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me if they've had the same problems I'm having. Just brought my '08 into the shop after the 4th leaking problem (i know I should have gone after first time, but it's a 25 minute drive and the problem occurs only in rain). Anyway, heavy rains routinely find their way in -- apparently thru the sun roof seals I hear--- and the driver, front passenger and rear cargo all get wet. You also hear the trapped interior water rolling over your head. I've heard this is a common complaint. What I have not heard, is if anyone also gets electrical problems from the water. My emergency brake light --and the annoying chimes--- activate during rainstorms. So there I am, driving along with the right foot on the gas while I pump the emergency pedal to stop the lights and chimes. Also, about a month before I noticed the water problems, the DVP screen no longer showed video. Looks like the "broken window" effect you get on screens, which the dealer says must have come from the kids whacking the screen. Now I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.....and does anyone know if the broken window effect would result if wet wiring were really the cause of this malfunction? I'll be damned if I'm paying to replace a screen in a car with an overhead waterfall.
    Thanks
  • acadia59acadia59 Member Posts: 4
    Make an appointment with the dealer NOW! Yes, the leak can cause electrical problems. I had my fuse block replaced three times. The water destroys the wiring. I had the same problem as you. Also, my overhead lights would not come on. The third time I had it replaced, they said they could not find a fuse block and sent an email to all the GM dealers in the country trying to locate one! 26 days later they were able to fix it. I continued to have transmission problems (felt like it stopped, would hesitate, the pick up as I was switching lanes). Called 1-800-lemonlaw and GM bought it back. When I tried to deal with them on my own, I got no where. Anyway, the lemon laws are different in each state. In mine, you had to have had the car in to get a problem fixed within the first 12,000 miles, then have it in three times or for a total of over 30 days. The attorney goes back to the mileage from the first time you took it in to determine how much they will buy it back for, if they agree to do that. I would start taking the car in now and take it in every time something is wrong. Keep your receipts of work done, even if they say they can't find anything. Good luck.
    I had the problem but the factory recall reapir did fix it the first time.
    Good luck.
  • jacsdad19jacsdad19 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. That's very helpful, especially since you experienced the problems with overhead lighting. I picked mine up last night so we'll see if the leaks stop. The dealer will not change his mind about my video screen yet, as he still claims it broke from being hit and that water would not have done that. So i"ll keep pushing on that and it will go back every single time there's a problem. It's a shame, because the car does handle nicely, but with only 10,000 miles, it's too early to be having troubles and I'll likely be moving away from what is a sharp car otherwise.
    Thanks again.
  • djb1969djb1969 Member Posts: 5
    Noticed some wetness underneath on the passenger side at the 2nd oil change [08 SLT, ~6900 miles]. Had the dealer take a look when the Acadia was in for the wiper arm recall a couple weeks ago. They added some kind of dye to the oil and asked us to return in 2 weeks. Just got off the phone - the oil is coming for the timing cover. The fix will require pulling the engine! Ugh... What are the odds that the car will ever be the same again? I'm terrified that we'll come out of the dealer with more problems than just an oil leak. Any thoughts?
  • acadiaowneracadiaowner Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I struggled with the same problem before it was repaired. It is caused (believe it or not) by improperly routed drains from the sunroof. The water runs down the passesger side window post and shorts out the electrical system. It took 4 tries and 2 replaced fuse blocks to get it right (I think). We haven't had a severe rain since we repaired it the last time.
  • lemonowner08lemonowner08 Member Posts: 36
    Okay, have a new issue. The other evening after shopping, I came home, pulled into the garage, put the car in "park", turned off the engine, removed the keys and exited the car. I was the only one in the vehicle. Then, I went around the front of the vehicle to the front passenger side and opened the door so I could remove some packages. When I opened the door, the alarm (bell), that tells you that you have left the keys in the car, dinged 3 times. I removed the packages and shut the door, then proceeded in front of the car, and it honked once, then, all of the doors locked. This is the second time this has happened in a week. I am glad I never leave the keys in the car! Anyone else had this issue or doesn anyone else have a fix? Please post. :lemon:
  • PuderPuder Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 Acadia and it rained last week. Water started coming out of the roof vent behind the passenger seat. Did you ever find out if there was a recall on this? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    This a very widespread problem with the Acadia. Call your dealer and get an appointment to get it fixed.
  • chaos42chaos42 Member Posts: 23
    my husband was going to work at 3:00 a.m he made a right turn and the left wheel broke away from the rivets. we thought the axel broke. i had it towed to the dealer and they said i must have hit something in the road. i was baffled at there attitude.i live in nyc and there are potholes everywhere. if this vehicle cant take a pothole it is a piece of [non-permissible content removed].the rim is bent a little and there fore we hit something now they wont fix it i have to call my insurance for them to fix it. i thought that was a safety issue but they dont there exact words were we havent heard of this happening before so its your problem to deal with.i really wanted to buy american and i love the look of the acadia but i think next time i'll go foreign american cars are garbage the workmanship is inferior.well i tried .if you hit a pothole and your wheel falls off thats a weak car.there was no other damage to the car.please tell me if this happened to anyone else.oh by the way my vehicle was leaking also it took 3 tries to finally fix
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    the rim is bent a little and there fore we hit something

Not necessarily. The rim could just as well have been bent as a result of the wheel breaking off.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    thats how i fell i tried to state that at the dealership but they said the engineers would say it was my fault if they saw the 3 inch bend in the rim i called a lawyer and they said basically im stuck with the lease.right now i dont want the vehicle any more i have 1and a half years left on the lease.geico is supposed 2 come and look at the damage if they fix it i still dont feel safe in this acadia.this is the first time i leased a vehicle i'm wondering can i trade it in at another car company .you can stick a fork in me i'm done with GMC
    You may want to get a third party to make a determination on the cause of the bent rim. In the meantime, I suggest posting your lease question in GMC Acadia Lease Questions.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • zoesdadzoesdad Member Posts: 5
    The compass embedded in the rearview mirror of my 08 SLT (9,000 miles) went dark a few weeks ago and hasn't come back on. All other systems are working properly. Does anyone know if this is an easy fix? Do I have to take it to the dealership if I want it fixed? Thanks
  • skupieskupie Member Posts: 4
    Did u ever find out what was wrong?
    My 2007 acadia didn't start the other day-I guess there is a fuel sensor behind the left rear tire that was bad-my gauge read that i had 1/2 tank gas but i was really empty!
    i got in touch with geico and the adjuster went to the dealer and it is 7,794.99 in damage can you believe this to not have had an actual collision this is crazy and to be a new vehicle.i'm very upset about this :cry::( :mad:
  • manny20manny20 Member Posts: 3
    I can tell you that this is no electrical problem. See, when you hit the doorlock button, probably b y accident (my wife does that all the time while stepping out), the chime will rign 3 times to let you know. This is a delayed lock feature. It will also honk the horn when your doors lock. Simmilar to you pressing the lock button on the remote twice in a row.

I have had my accadia for months now, I keep learning stuff all the time. One thing I can add, the transmission does like to change from 6 gear to five especially when you have it on cruse control. I have learn to bring it down to the 5ft gear if I drive in a hilled area.

But what a quiet and roomy ride this has. I used to love my Surburban for the ride and room,,, this acadia blows the ride away. Especialy in the wind.
  • manny20manny20 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Surburban 4wd, and a 2008 Acadia 2WD, I used to prefer driving my Surburban over the Uplander I used to have. I can tell you this, the Acadia blows the Surburban away as far as Ride, Quietness, and GAs Millage.

Drive in a 40miles per hour cross wind in your surburban , then drive the Acadia (No comparisson) it's an awsome unit.

The power is great also. After driving my Acadia, the gong back to the Surburban, it seems the Surburban is sluggish... I mean, this Acadia has lots of power.

If it could pull my 30foot travel trailor I would trade my Surburban for an AWD Acadia no questions asked.

Chow
    don't waste your time go foriegn
  • bobfishbobfish Member Posts: 48
    Sounds like a typical answer you would get from a yuppie!
    sweetie i'm far from a yuppie i'm just a blue collar worker,a black woman whos angry my hard earned $$$ bought a vehicle thats a piece of [non-permissible content removed] and i'm trying to spread the word so no one else makes the same mistake.but good luck don't sy you weren't warned!!!!!!
    We're getting a little off topic here. Whether to buy is not the issue. Problems and repairs are the issues both of which presume the car has already been purchased. Let's move on. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • goodmaj1goodmaj1 Member Posts: 14
    Unfortunately, chaos42 is right. My 08 Acadia, while serving my family well, is.....irritating. Dealer still can't fix my thermometer, when it's cold outside and you remote start the vehicle, the thermometer reads a much higher temp than outside, which causes the AC to kick on, which means you get into a nice cold car. Dealer still can't fix the creaking noise coming from my dashboard at all times. And, whenever I take my family vehicle, which is responsible for transporting my wife and two kids, into the dealer for warranty work I have to scream in order to get a loaner so my family isn't stranded. I give up. This was my first GM car and very likely my last. Couldn't be happier I leased since GM now has four (!) cars that are essentially identical...can you say "no resale value?"

I sympathize with chaos42. These cars aren't cheap - mine stickered at $42K. Too bad for GM, the G8 is a great car for a great price but the thought of putting up with GM service totally turned me off. You'd expect for $42K to not only receive exceptional quality but also exceptional service, but at least for me that's not the case.
  • bobfishbobfish Member Posts: 48
    I`ve owned my 2007 Acadia for almost two years now only having the upgrade for the transmission shift points. In the time I have owned this crossover I have had O problems. Love the way it handles,rides and looks.I wish the gas mileage was better but for its size I don`t think it is that bad.My sister has a 2006 Honda Pilot it looks like a box on wheels rides like a lumber wagon and gets only 2 to 3 mpg over my Acadia.
  • manufan1manufan1 Member Posts: 26
    I bought my Acadia on June 2007 and has been driving for 1.5 years now. Like bobfish, I only updated transmission once and haven't encountered any other problems yet.... I might be lucky, or maybe one day my Acadia will irretate me with a big issue, who knows, but just want to say, not every acadia owner has problem w/ it. It is my first American made and I think when I bought it, I thought I took a big chance, but the truth (to me) is, I wasted my time on worrying.
    i'm so happy for you.i got my acadia back from the dealer 2 days ago and now the seat belt noise keeps going off even though the seat belt is on now we have to take it back so they could fix it.it wasnt like that when we took it there.they have had my vehicle since 1/3/2009 i refuse to drive it but my husband says its fine i just have to snap out of the fear but i'm just not ready yet.i'm sure this is a minor problem but i'm annoyed :(
  • Tobster1Tobster1 Member Posts: 12
    I have an 07 Outlook. I too have been having power steering issues and water leak issues. GM has attempted to repair the water leak issues (which they stated they have found mold as well). Now we are at a point where they are saying they "can not duplicate customer concern". Of course not, it is not pouring out in their testing station. They only have a hose on it and they aren't driving through puddles and losing power steering. I would love to hear from anyone who has had or are having these problems. We have started to pursue the lemon law and are about to send GM a letter demanding take back of the vehicle. Has anyone succeeded at this?