Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Electrical Issues

Comments

• nickdecarlnickdecarl Member Posts: 16
    OK, now you can ignore all my previous posts -- here's the final scoop. I was measuring just under 1/2 amp draw at the 15A radio fuse next to the battery (fuse pulled, ignition off). I left the fuse out for two weeks and the car started every time. Convinced that the radio was causing the problem, I contacted the shop that repaired my CD changer (and supposedly the circuit board) back in August. They told me 1/2 amp draw was normal. At this time I became aware of another shop, Factory Car Stereo Repair, Inc. in Longwood, Florida (www.carstereohelp.com). I talked to two different guys there, and both told me the draw should be nearly zero at that fuse, ignition off. So I made arrangements to drive to them (two hours). First they metered the draw and got the same measurement as I did. Then they took the dash apart and pulled the radio (no easy task). They repaired the circuit board, and bench tested it, to confirm "no draw." While the dash was apart, they offered to replace the two small light bulbs in my dash clock, as they often die -- one of mine was bad. Then they re-installed the radio and dash. Everything worked with one crucial difference. Back at the 15A fuse (fuse pulled, ignition off), the draw was ZERO instead of 1/2 amp. Further, the car has started fine for the last week, even on the cold mornings we've had here in North Florida the last few days. Can you guess that I'm thrilled? I cannot overstate how pleased I was with the service, problem-solving methodology and expertise demonstrated by the three guys who helped me out at Factory Car Stereo Repair, Inc. All told, it took them about 2 1/2 hours to do the work. You can imagine how gratifying this was after taking a day off from work and driving two hours. But this problem had truly been drving me crazy. Their repair fee was incredibly reasonable too. They told me that they have fixed MANY of these 2003 G35 radios, and are seeing more and more of them. Good luck everybody and thanks for the many clues and information that helped me reach my solution.
  • carabbycarabby Member Posts: 3
    Hi

Has anyone with this problem had their car fixed anywhere in MA or RI?

Thanks
  • babijolbabijol Member Posts: 5
    Kdooley, I figured out that when I don't play my radio the problem don't occur. I haven't played my radio since August and the problem stopped. I know the problem still needs to get fixed and to make matters worst my cd changer is jammed and I cannot load or unload cd's. They told me at the dealer that I can trade my radio in for a new one and it will cost me $500 including labor. They said my radio is causing the vircuit board problem. I'm going to change the radio and then change my car.
  • kimbracrowekimbracrowe Member Posts: 9
    I have read all of these messages and I would love to hear from someone who has had a resolution to the climate control/audio problem. I live in Atlanta and the dealer I have used for service is Infinity of Gwinnett. I bought this car 3 years ago from them.I have really enjoyed owning this car so far - not one speck of trouble.

I called Infinity of Gwinnett and explained my problem and was told that in 95 percent of these cases replacing the stereo fixes the problem. If that does not do it the the dash module needs replacing also. But they said start with the stereo.
    Their quotes were $800 to replace the Bose and 1300.00 for the module!

I can't see how fixing the sound system will restore the other dash functions??
    I am not sure where to start? I have been laid off - so I have not been having to drive very much- but what if I need to defrost/defog my windshield? The ac is set at 67 degrees on auto and not on full blast like some I read about.

Please reply with some success stories!
  • kdooleykdooley Member Posts: 10
    We ended up having the ignition switch replaced about two week ago at a cost of $170 at KAM's in Acworth. We haven't had a problem since, but the problem was intermittent, so time will tell. Our problem was that the dash lights, ac control panel and stereo would go black and not work. We could giggle the ignition and it would come back. The repair shop said they have replaced several ignition switches in the Infinity G35 and thought that would take care of the problem. Now we have a different problem. The brake and slip lights stay on. We haven't investigated that problem yet -- just started yesterday.
  • gta3504gta3504 Member Posts: 1
    The best way to solve this problem is putting an after market radio, kit cost about $160 plus the radio, cabling and installation. I bought a Infinity G35 2003 the dealer put about two factory radios on it and they will work for a day and break AGAIN the dealer where i bought the car did the same thing to all their Infinities G35s problem solved!!!!!!! it cost the dealer $305 the bough a cheap radio which ill change later. ;)
  • lovetocooklovetocook Member Posts: 5
    Do you know where to purchase the kit? I too have the same problem - some days the lights are on and i can control the air,radio, and heat and some days there is nothing lit up.
    To: lovetocook
    I had the same problem with my 2003 G35 and it was the ignition switch at a cost of about $170. Have you tried giggling the key in the switch to see if the lights, etc. come back on?
  • giuffriagiuffria Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me why my lights are out on my stearing wheel. All the other dashboard light work fine. I looked in the fuse box and could not find any blown fuses. I hate to bring in in to the dealership to get ripped off. HELP ANYONE!
  • bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    The disc problem on the G35s is quite common. Many or all will eventually fail. I purchased my 04 G35 Coupe new and after reading all the problems with the CD changer, power window motors and window actuators, decided to take out an extended factory 4yr warranty. I have not replaced my CD changer yet, but I'm ready when it decides to die.
  • fastfred78fastfred78 Member Posts: 1
    2003 G35 Sedan: My radio, Air and all controls on my audio panel do no turn on. The air is working, but stuck at 65. I just came from the Fresno Dealer. They said it would be $129 to check out, but she service manager said she already knew what it was. She said it is a circuit board behind the audio unit. She said it would cost $1200 to replace. I asked if it was so common, why isn't it recalled? She shrugged and said she didn't know. How do we create a recall? $1200 is allot of dough for an obvious defect!
    There is a recall, but only for certain serial numbers. Mine was not included in the recall.
    My problem is the same as yours....I was working off and on for a month and the off for the last few weeks. I replaced the battery (it was due- still had original battery) but it suddenly started working again. I was told the same thing by my dealer, 1200 to replace the audio unit, common problem in the 03 model. I have had mine since 05 so I don't know if it was part of recall or not. I have also read just because it was fixed from the recall, the same thing can happen again. I am going to explore having the audio replaced at an aftermarket audio shop. A few have had it fixed for must better prices. I have heard so many fixes for this. Ignition switches to steering controls... so frustrating. just waiting for mine to stop working again before I really have to fix it.
  • whats77inanamewhats77inaname Member Posts: 3
    They look the exact same, so I'm just curious as to who has tried this remedy already? Seems like it is a lot cheaper than using the '03 model again. Can anyone verify if the units are interchangeable?
  • jaredgjaredg Member Posts: 2
    I have a cobra radar detector that I have the hardwire cord for and I want to hook it up to the fusebox under the drivers dashboard.

I just don't know exactly how to hide the wires from where I place the radar detector and run them down to the fuse box underneath the drivers side. So I want to pull up the dashboard but I don't know how.
    Can anyone direct me where I can read on what and where the screws are to pullup the dashboard, hook the wires in properly then replace the dashboard and hide the wires???

Thanks,--I'm sure this is stupid question as most people have done this hundreds of times.
    Does anyone know if the 07-08 G35 are having the same problems with the circuit board etc?
  • n2baban2baba Member Posts: 1
    Do you know the recall number. I contacted Infiniti dealer about recall and the lady I spoke to seem to say there was a recall for my car along with airbags but when I show up for the appointment they tell me there is no recall for the radio/ac or even airbags. It seems very weird to me that 1 person said yes and then another said no. So I want to have all my information b4 I go and raise hell.
    :mad:
  • starfyrestarfyre Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,

I think I have same issue for about 1.5 months now. The central panel lights go out. radio can only be controlled from the wheel. And auto air con goes on and i can't use the buttons to change it. Then it randomly goes back to normal, etc.

Car is a 2003 G35 (purchased summer 2002) so warranty is out so i paid for radio replacement as they said it was radio. Then paid for circuit board as they said both must be damaged.

But it's still happening (and now the cd player won't work although it did before). They said the CD issue they maybe put in a bad cd deck so they will change that, but I am going to call tomorrow and mention this recall. I have to bring it in for a full day look over. Take wires out and try and find problem since it's still happening with a new circuit board.

based on what I see here, I will try and fight that they knew there may be a problem with circuit board and they never did anything but i had to pay for it. Wife will write a letter to Nissan/Infiniti Canada and Japan if needed (maybe they will do something???) if they don't refund us, etc.

They seem pretty retarded that they can't figure out what is wrong...

Does anyone have an idea what it may be if the circuit board replacement didn't work for my car?

Regards,

Sanjay
    I replaced my ignition switch about 6-7 weeks ago and so far, everything seems to work. My dash lights, radio, ac, etc. would go out intermittently. I would turn the ignition off and then back on, and it would work -- sometimes. I was told by two mechanics it was the ignition switch. It was less expensive ($170) than the radio, so we gave it a try. I will let you know if the problem starts up again.
  • lovetocooklovetocook Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for responding. Good luck - we will give this a try.
  • carabbycarabby Member Posts: 3
    Hi

Are you having any problems with your Radio/CD player? If you are it might be the cause. Also you need to check with an Infiniti dealer give him the info on the inside of the front driver door and he can let you know if the electrical board has been replaced in that car, sort of a recall for 2003's. If the Radio/CD player is not working correctly, I will have to look it up but there is someone in CA that refurbishes the Bose CD/Radio player/changer, and he charges 350.00 and if you send him yours he gives you 150.00 back.

will post the address

Hope this helps

Carabby
    The saga continues...the brand new battery was nearly drained after sitting for 5 days without being started. Had to jump start. This seems be part of the whole development of this issue. Alternator tested okay...
    My VIN# wasn't part of the recall as well. I called the consumer affairs office in Tennesse to complain and it went nowhere. Infiniti's customer service sucks incredibly. They told me replacing the radio will fix the problem but I'm a little hesitant in paying $550 to change the radio and the problem starts again. They said that they would take my radio and give me a brand new one. Without the exchange its going to cost $1200.
  • bgt15917bgt15917 Member Posts: 3
    i have the same problem.....did u ever resolve the issue and if so how did u?
    There is a place out of CA that will repair them for $200. I posted the information here, but it was removed b/c it violated forum rules. If you look around on eBay, you can find the information. If this violates forum rules, sorry, please delete this, too.
  • hari001hari001 Member Posts: 1
    For a veteran driver, the feel of a manual transmission can be compared to a well-worn leather jacket. The movement of the stick ages and grows over time, matching the tendencies of its driver.

Joseph
    IM thinking about installing a aftermarket in dash dvd and gps in my G35......has any done this before and if so how did it work out?
  • amethyst73amethyst73 Member Posts: 6
    Ok.. I have the same problem everyone else is having with the radio/ac controls...I own 03' G35. Infiniti replaced my radio 2 yrs ago bc it was not playing CDs or ejecting them (no chrg due to being under factory warranty) Two months ago, the radio shuts off and the heat comes on full speed with no way of shutting it off.. The next day it goes off and this continues for about a week. Now the stupid thing is stuck on 83 degrees due to our cold mornings and hot evenings (Dallas) so imagine me sweating all the way home after work bc of this stupid problem!! Called Infiniti that serviced my vehicle only to be told that it was a problem with the radio and the fee to replace it is $650.00.I got online, did my homework and came across this website to find that there are a ton of other people out there that are dealing with this same issue. Called Infiniti back today -spoke with service mgr and like heck he didnt give a rats tail about my problem..so I agree with all comments about their lack of caring about our safety.. I dont have a ton of money to spend on trying to see if one repair is going to solve the problem only to have it return months later... so my question is ... did anyone try installing an after-market radio? Thats what I'm considering since Infiniti is blaming the problem on Bose. If I can get out of spending 300.00 or less, I'll be happy with that but not the 1200.00 plus that everyone seem to be spending on a circuit board only to exp the same problem later. I enjoy this car--no problems what-so-ever til now....
  • hunter351hunter351 Member Posts: 8
    Amethyst,

I live in Fort Worth and am having the same exact problem with my '03 G35. Which dealership did you contact? Sewell, Grubbs? We are in the same exact boat...love my car but don't want to spend the $1,200.
    Let me know what direction you go and maybe we can contact/work with the same people.
    I called Grubbs and spoke with Brad yesterday and today I spoke with the service mgr Hoot.. --not sure of the spelling but its pronounced as spelled. I also called consumer affairs and spoke with a rep there and she explained that they may be able to provide "some assistance" but its handled on a case by case basis and its not a guarantee that they will help me out. She gave me a file number but I must first take it in to Infiniti ( pay the service fee--uugh-- which varies by dealership) and let them diagnose the problem, then I have to call back with the file number to see if they will do anything about it. And here today, we have rain which means that my windows are prob gonna fog up so I'll be wiping the windshield with my hands all the way home! So frustrating!!! After the way I was treated over the phone today, I will not be taking it to Grubbs..
    I contacted Grubbs and they acted like they didn't know what was going on with my car and told me to take it in. I'm like you...I don't want to take it in only for them to tell me that I need to spend $1,200 for them to repair it. From the research I've seen, it's seems to be a problem with the stereo. I'm thinking of just going to Best Buy and having them put in a stereo for a $150 and seeing if that solves the problem. Am I missing something here?
    I was considering the same but per post # 34-
    I checked into an aftermarket dash console/finisher and spoke with the service manager at Infinity and he said that an aftermarket finisher/radio ABSOLUTELY would NOT work in Infinity autos. He said I would be wasting my money. We're still having the same intermittent problems. I'm hoping Intinity still step up to the plate and make a recall for these vehicles.

I'm wondering if that individual gave it try.... I'm going to give Best Buy a call just to get their opinion.
    I came across this...

controls are dead, stereo does not power up, no functions work? This is not an "Audio Finisher" problem like the dealer$hip may lead you to believe. This is a stereo problem! Repair rate will range $185-295. When the dealership replaces the Audio Finisher, they also replace the stereo.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/infiniti.htm
    that helps...I've called 3 Best Buys near my home (GP) and couldn't reach anyone....but I'll keep trying. I've seen almost any and every make & model vehicle with an aftermarket radio installed..so I would think that it IS possible. Please keep me informed on whatever steps you take to get this resolved. I know some way we'll figure this out and come out paying as little out of pocket as possible.... at least I'm hoping :)
    The problem I see with Best Buy is that there is no sure way to know whether or not this will work. I'm sure that their "techies" are not aware of this problem with our make & model, so they will not know if it will solve our problem or not. I'm leaning towards doing this anyway and hoping it works. I like $200 a lot better than $1200.
    I tried calling the company from the link I posted but they are doing inventory today and nobody is there to answer the phone. I would think that they would be able to give us an honest answer.
    I totally agree... I'm going to give Cartoys a call to see what they say.
    Shoot me an email when you find out.
    will do.
  • mnishanbmnishanb Member Posts: 1
    Hey how you doing i have a 2008 infiniti g35 sedan.....my 6 disc cd magazine is missing by any chance do you know the model number of the clarion magazine so i can locate a replacement?.....thanx in advance for any information you can provide me with
    I have posted my ongoing issues with this. I had the same stereo and console panel issues. I had to replace my battery about a month ago. It had began to need a jump to start after sitting a day or two. After the battery replacement the audio/console began to work perfectly and has so far. Well- that new battery is now completely dead. I am replacing it today. I have had to jump start the car daily fro the last couple of weeks.

I am assuming from reading about this, that the audio is draining the battery. I will disconnect it while I am home till i can figure out what is going on. Would removing the fuse for the audio help?

Both my spouse and I are unemployed and I really have to find the most economical fix for this.

My dealer here in Atlanta says that 95% of the time the replacement of the bose audio fixes this problem.
  • nickdecarlnickdecarl Member Posts: 16
    OK -- here's the straight poop. I spend months dealing with this last year, and obsessed over the solution, so I'm telling you what works (and not what I think). The problem is the circuit board on the back of the radio, which is integral with the climate controls (bad design). Components fail, or the solder fails. This CAN be repaired. If the entire unit is removed (not easy), it can be shipped to a place in Orlando which fixes these all the time, and did mine in one morning, several months ago. They do several every week! It will cost a couple hundred, far less than a "new bose" which is stupid suggestion -- they are no longer available. But you say you can't afford to do anything right now. The problem is that the radio has a slow drain on your battery, even with the radio off. That's why the car is dead after a day or two of no driving (mine would die on Monday morning, especially if I didn't drive on Sunday). There are TWO audio fuses in the G35. The one in the kick plate fuse box (to the left of the brake pedal) is NOT the one that will matter. Don't waste your time. There is a SECOND fuse block next to the 12V battery under the hood. You have to remove the trim panel and cover from around the battery to even know it was there. In that fuse block there's a 15A audio fuse. Remove that one and the radio will no longer drain your battery. The downside: the radio/CD no longer plays. Also, the AC will run however you had it set before pulling the fuse. You can not change the fan speed, temp, AC to on or off, etc. But those are your only two choices -- fix it, or disable. A lot of other posts seem to include what people think, want to try, or get into unrelated problems which muddies the issue. I spent a LOT of time getting to the bottom of this, got it fixed absolutely-positively. I was damn close to selling the car over it. If you want the name of the place in Orlando that can actually fix the problem, let me know. They do quite a few that are shipped to them from elsewhere.
    Nick Gainesville, FL
    As I stated, there is a company off eBay that fixes these out of California. I listed the contact information but the thread was removed by the admin b/c it violated the forum rules. Simply look for the ebay auction using the search phrase "infiniti bose g35 pn-2545" and you'll see a seller selling for $170. It has been almost a month, no problems whatsoever.
  • starfyrestarfyre Member Posts: 2
    so it turns out for my car, issue was the radio...it was faulty..and fried part of the circuit board..so after replacing both it is now fine. the first radio they gave me though was refurbushed and damaged already hence it didn't work but 2 weeks ago they replaced the radio once a new one came in so all is well :)

Sanjay
    I actually had the problem for about a year. I replaced the circuit board and the problem started after a month of getting the new circuit board. The dealer said the radio is draining the circuit board and will continue to do so unless I replace the radio. I took my car in and my radio was completely burnt out. I replaced my radio with a brand new one. The dealer took my old radio and exchange it for a new one which worked out to be cheaper. I paid $500, if I didn't do the exchange I would have to pay $2100. The problem has now stopped and everything is has been good. What this means is even though they say the circuit board is the problem, the radio is the main issue causing the circuit board to act up hence messing up the radio/ac controls. Replacing the radio will fix this problem.
  • norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    My speedometer stopped working (the needle is below zero) this morning. The tachometer (RPM) is out as well. My odometer (and the trip meter) are also stuck (ie, not accruing miles). In addition, the "AT Check" and the oil pressure (red oil can) lights stayed on during the 10-mile trip to work. Turn signals stopped giving visual and audio signals. AC, radio, CD seem to function normally. I bought the car in March 03 and thus the warranty on the drivetrain just expired (not sure that would apply anyway). Other than that, the car behaves normally, the belt under the hood is there and everything is humming ok -- no abnormal sounds anywhere. Does anyone know what's up?? What other stuff do I need to check to find out what's wrong?

I called the dealer and was told to come in for a $200 diagnostics because there is no speedometer cable and all those controls in G35 are electronic.

Please help. Thanks. :)
    I traded in my brand new dead battery yesterday, it had been drained one time too many. I decided to disconnect the amp so I can still have ac control -- I can live without tunes. My dealer's service guy said this was a viable work around till I can afford to fix it. I need brakes first. (Both my hubby and I are currently part of the unemployed masses.)

The first quote I got from this dealer was 1200. Yesterday it was 550? I called and asked about the recall and there were no outstanding on my car and it was not part of the original recall for this. But knowing I had researched the issue the quote was 650 less than before all my research.
  • norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    Further to this message: After the car has rested for a few hours, I started it up again and everything is back to normal. It appears that the computer in it has "rebooted." Will let you know if that changes. I would also like to know if others had similar problems. :D
    exactly what part am i supposed to send em