Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• ilovetrailersilovetrailers Member Posts: 27
    Purchased 2010 Prius Level II for $750.00 off MSRP with no other fees. Color is Blizzard White. Car will be on dealers lot next monday.

Also purchased 2010 Camry XLE loaded for about $300.00 under invoice with 3.9 financing. Had a trade for which they gave me clean book according to Edmunds and KBB. Trade needs tires.

Went in to buy Camry but wife fell in love with Prius after driving it. We live in Kansas City area and more than one dealer matched the Prius price.
  • cheezhedcheezhed Member Posts: 44
    "Purchased 2010 Prius Level II for $750.00 off MSRP with no other fees. Color is Blizzard White. Car will be on dealers lot next monday.............................................
    We live in Kansas City area and more than one dealer matched the Prius price."

What dealer in K.C.? Do you think your discount was because you also purchased the Camry?
    In my opinion there are two dealers that will really deal in Kansas City area. I have purchased from both Olathe Toyota and Molle Toyota. Both dealers gave me similar prices. The only difference was the Adm fees. I refuse to pay a dime in any fees so they discount the vehicle by that amount or they can keep it.

Adams Toyota offered to discount the Prius by $ 761.00 but they couldn't match the Camry price. They wanted to do the Prius deal only. Adm fee $299.00

I purchased from Molle Toyota because they gave me the best price before finding out we were purchasing 2 vehicles. I had no problems in the finance office last year when we purchases our Sienna. Hope for the same this time. They also matched my best internet price on extended warranty last year.
  • feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    All you 2010 owners.

How does the calculated (miles driven/gallons) compare to the dash mpg display?
  • greenliongreenlion Member Posts: 3
    I live in Los Angeles, where the Prius is in high demand.
    I didn't go to a dealership, but my accountant hooked me up with a company that finds the best lease possible on the car you want.
    So this is the lease deal I was offered, seems high to me compared to some of the other deals people on this forum are getting, but maybe that's because of my location.
    2010 Prius package 2 (no add ons, totally base model)
    $1,375 due at signing. Includes first payment, tax and license fees.
    $398 a month, (includes tax, 9.25% here)
    36 months
    12k a year.

Does anyone have advice regarding this?
    Thank you!!
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I know some people have the ability to write a lease off, but if this is about $22K, I can own that car in 5 years for about $20 more a month and not worry if I exceed the 12k miles per year.
  • bwilson4webbwilson4web Member Posts: 80
    Hi,

I've only had one fill-up and the calculated mileage based upon trip meter distance and fuel fill-up was 52.3 MPG. But that was the 'dealer' tank and I've always found them to be suspect. This next tank will be trustable because I filled the tank. I've got the A tripmeter set to record this tank. I normally use the B tripmeter for specific tests:

So which do you think is most accurate, fuel receipt and tripmeter miles or the indicated MPG? ">Why?

Bob Wilson
    Hi, thanks for the response.

I suspect more time will be required for you to determine the accuracy of the indicated "mpg. "I have a Dodge truck, and the indicated efficiency is about 4 mpg optomistic. I was wondering how accurate the Prius indicated mpg is?

After a few more fill-ups, please come back and let us know how it is going. 52.3 is certainly wonderful , and few would complain over that.
    Hi,

It might be faster if you scan some of the Prius forums like PriusChat.com. I've seen periodic threads about multifunction display (MFD) versus calculated tank-odometer accuracy. I've never joined them because:

1) I record mileage using pump quantity and trip meter distance.
    2) I use MFD for short distance, performance tests and usually an A-B-A series

My impression from these discussions is the the relative differences have been in the 1-2% range so it never really interested me. I'm still on the second tank in the ZVW30 and this is my wife's car. My commuting car is a 2003 Prius, NHW11. I only get to borrow my wife's car when running weekend errands or bringing it in for show at work.

The reason this makes sense is the NHW11 has 120,000 miles and counting. The ZVW30 has about 900 miles. A year from now, the NHW11 will have 140,000 miles ... and then more. I'm getting 52.1 MPG (a little more now that summer has arrived) so there is no real savings using my wife's car. And when the 'wheels fall off' of the NHW11, who cares?

Bob Wilson
    Hi,

I've been trying to figure out why you are curious about the relative accuracy of tanks/distance versus the MFD mileage display when it hit me. We hadn't discussed the effect of the fuel bladder in the 2001-2009 Prius that is no longer in the 2010 Prius. These earlier Prius have a flexible bladder in the tank that often does not expand to the full tank size when filling up. This can lead to as much as 1-2 gallons of unusable capacity. Yet the driver can do a short hop, say 5 miles and add this extra gas. Most don't but it leads to inaccurate "per tank" calculations:
    You can see my full record at myhybridcar.

Now these individual tank variations disappear as the number of tanks increase:
    The larger, cumulative quantity of fuel burned means a 1-2 gallon error becomes insignificant.

Now you might notice that my per fill-up variation evened out about two years after I got my NHW11. That year I started testing different brands of gasoline to determine which gave better mileage performance. Part of the protocol was to run the tank dry, which I did about three dozen times. This had a side effect of recalibrating the fuel gauge and apparently reseating the bladder. Since then, the per fill-up variation and accuracy of my fuel gauge appears to be better (or less bad.)

So when I report 52.1 MPG for my 2003 Prius, it is based upon fuel receipts divided by mileage from the trip meter. I do calibrate the tires and adjust for true distance since tire wear does change the accuracy. How about you? Do you also calibrate your tires and tripmeter?

Using GPS, I know my 2010 indicates 1 mph higher than true speed at 50+ mph. However, the trip meter average speed is dead on accurate.">link title

Bob Wilson
    Wow! I am impressed with your analysis. My question was much simpler .... As I mentioned, my truck indicated mpg is very optimistic .... giving a much rosier, but false, picture of consumption. I was just wondering how the indicated mpg compares to the actual. I can see that a bladder that was used in older cars would be difficult to calculate.

You mentioned running the tank dry to re-calibrate the electronics. On my truck there is a reset button. How does the 2010 reset?

Thanks for the info. I have a 2010 on "order." I am afraid , however, it may be quite a ways off before I take delivery. Small dealer and (I suspect) a low allocation.
    The 2010 is still too new to know how the various "reset" functions work. But I wanted to get the "fear of running out of gas" over as well as purge the dealer fuel.

I haven't done and don't plan on doing a hard study of the gallons/mile versus the indicated MPG. The reason is it takes too long! It is my wife's car and until we go on a trip, we won't be burning enough fuel to do an accurate study.

I'm confident the indicated MPG is fairly accurate in my 2003 Prius, NHW11. I've used it to plot mph vs MPG and get reproducible results in past, cross country travels. The bladder has been a 'pain in the [non-permissible content removed]' unless you know how to ignore the worst aspects. The one caution is when the fuel indicator begins to flash in my 03, I always assume there is only 25 miles remaining although I've usually gone 65-75 miles.

As for the 2010, one Japanese driver reported 1.8 gallons remaining but I found 2.1 in my first test. But I understand we also have different size tanks (theirs is reported to be larger.)

Bob Wilson
    For some reason your posting is not showing up on my computer in its entirety. I am curious though, One sentence appears to ask if the poster adjusts for tire wear? (the sentence was cut off)

If that is correct, (you adjust your calculations for tire wear) I'll assume you've thought this out well so it makes me think harder. My initial thought was that depending upon the air pressure and the tire flexing that the true radius or diameter of a tire under load on a car is different than the specs listed in the tire literature, or even what you would measure and that you would have an error.

However for the purposes of measuring the true travel distance, the circumference is what's important regardless of how low the tire pressure is. Thanks for making me think a little harder.

So do you actually measure the tire wear? Do you simply do a GPS recalbration on a regular schedule?

Just curious since you seem to take this a step or two beyond anything I've ever attempted.
    one Japanese driver reported 1.8 gallons remaining but I found 2.1 in my first test

That seems to be the Toyota standard as my TCH and HH have about the same "reserve".
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,740
    Let's stick to pricing in this discussion.. A lot of other Prius discussions to talk about fuel mileage...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jo2jo2 Member Posts: 41
    I am trying to purchase the 2010 prius with package IV with Navigation and Satellite Radio. The price seems to be somewhere around 28,350. I am looking for 36 month lease with 15,000 miles and 2000/down.

Has anyone leased a 2010 with these specs? If so what is your monthly? I have been told by North Hollywood Toyota that they are selling their Prius' for 7,500 over invoice? Does anyone have any numbers they can share?
    I have been told by North Hollywood Toyota that they are selling their Prius' for 7,500 over invoice?

They may be asking that, but I can't imagine them selling them for that. On PriusChat, in CA and all across the country, there are several people getting their Prius at MSRP.

I don't know what kind of lease deal you will get but if you shop around the cars are finally hitting the dealers and they are available, with some short term shortages in high demand areas.
    This morning, E-Bay listed 11, 2010 Prius at prices from $24,000-$30,000. I haven't checked Craigslist. Better still, identify a Toyota dealer at the port of entry for the various regions and give them a call.

Buying from a Toyota dealer co-located with the region point of entry gives the option of negotiating for car with exactly what you want and minimizing shipping costs from the port of entry. Be sure to insist on "no port or dealer options without prior approval." They may ask for a deposit so send a check with a letter contract that specifies exactly what you want ... register the letter.

The time for letting local dealers dictate a one-sided contract has to end and the way to do it is buy from a dealer who will sell what you want. As for price negotiation, well some people like it ... I hate it.

Bob Wilson
  • bchan10bchan10 Member Posts: 1
    FYI
    Jim Coleman Toyota is sticking to MSRP for the 2010 Prius. Even after I meniton invoice, they act like "invoice" isn't in their vocabulary. MSRP is their mantra.
  • zencarzencar Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I live in LA as well and I've been doing weeks of research on this subject. I've decided it's far less expensive to buy the car in the long run because TFS charges such a high MF and I drive about 5k miles a year so my resale value will hold. Also you can get a loan from penfed.com for 3.99%.

Your lease does seem a little high for the Pkg 2 and should be more $352 incl. tax with $580 for cap reduction, which adds up to your quoted $1375. That's assuming a Gross Cap of $23,600 ($22750 msrp, $650 fee, $200 mats).

You should download the Excel lease form from www.carbuyingtips.com/lease.htm

Hope that helps.
  • fantesia28fantesia28 Member Posts: 15
    Hello,

I just thought I would share my buying experience as well. I just purchased a 2010 Prius in the mid-west and because I was upside down on my current loan paid sticker price. However, I think they would have negotiated a bit more had I not needed to get more for my trade in. And... for the record I LOVE my new car so far! It's averaging 54 mpg on highway/city mileage which is awesome! My Camry barely got 27 mpg and that was on a good day!
  • dogsonboarddogsonboard Member Posts: 23
    For anyone who's recently bought a '10 Prius, what interest rate did you pay? Was it a Toyota-financed loan, or your bank / credit union?

Trying to figure out what's a reasonable rate...
  • bakkerjbakkerj Member Posts: 9
    I got a Prius V with Nav on 6/29 from City Toyota in the Bay Area for $28,888. MSRP was $30,020.
    Hello,

I financed through Toyota financing and they matched my credit union rate of 5%. I live in Missouri. Hope that helps!
    Way to go! That's by far the best deal I've seen here or on priuschat.com. All I got was $200 off and they acted like I was given the holy grail.
    Penfed.com is still offering 3.99% Can't beat that and the process was extremely simple; $5 deposit to open account, check fedex'd the next day ($15 deposit for that).
    Isn't Penfed.com only for people that are in the military??
    If you apply online, you can check the Red Cross Volunteer category. They never asked me anything about it and if you've ever given blood or donated, then you're guilt free. Trust me, they're happy to make interest money these days.
  • donnicdonnic Member Posts: 1
    I sent emails to Arkansas and Memphis dealers looking for a Prius III with no add-ons for under MSRP. Trotter Toyota in Pine Bluff was the only one that responded under MSRP at 23,252. The vehiicle they found in Louisiana had about $675 of add-ons, but they did not charge me for those, nor did they charge any extra delivery fees. I got the car last night for around $1200 under MSRP. I got the loan from US Bank at 4.5% for 48 months.
  • dncbdncb Member Posts: 70
    I could not find a dealer in AZ, NM, Vegas or southern CA who would sell under MSRP. I called and emailed about 20. One dealer even said they "weren't allowed to sell under MSRP." So following advice in this forum I emailed Molle Toyota in Kansas city and got the car with absolutely no hassle or even much discussion for $22,389 out the door - a full $840 under the best AZ deal. I will, of course have to pay for tags and sales tax in my home state of AZ. Including a $120 plane ticket, one $65 motel and gas (22.159gal to Phoenix! Wow!) I saved $590 and had a nice break from my normal schedule driving a day and a half back. Scott, the internet sales mgr could not have made the experience easier, quicker or more pleasant - even picking me up at the airport. I was out the door less than an hour after arriving at the dealer. The indicated mileage and actual differed by less than one mpg on 1168 miles - 52.71. Since being home indicated mpg around town is 53.6. Some might say I saved less since I had to drive 1168 miles. But the diversion was worth it, especially since I can now tell the local sales mgr. what I bought it for and hopefully break the dealer collusion for the benefit of other buyers. If you don't mind the drive it would be hard to find a better dealer experience than Molle
  • tyler70tyler70 Member Posts: 82
    since the 2010 are too new, I am not surprise they are selling for MSRP; however, do you think the price will drop by the end of the year ? I ;like to buy one this year but wonder if prices will drop? before the 2010 models came out, do you guys know what the average paying prices for 2009 models?
    I really like the MPG on the prius, but going from the Lexus ES to a Prius is a big change for me so I am having a hard time making up my mind.
    I have a delima if anyone can help me.
    Everyone knows that ES 350 and Prius are like apple and orange. however, their prices are very similiar (I am comparing a package V with Navi and fully loaded).
    I have an ES 330 and I also test drove a Prius, and the handling & comfort are day and night. MPG on the Prius is a super plus, but are there other reasons to pick a Pruis instead of the Lexus because most people agree with me that Lexus is much better vehicle in every way except for MPG.
    Please help. :confuse:
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    I'm thinking we may be in a similar situation. I have a 2007 Infiniti M35 whose fuel economy is a combined city/hwy 19 mpg; I use regular unleaded. My annual mileage is 15k.

If I buy the Prius at this time, I'll probably lose $4,000 on the M35 to Prius exchange (based on private sale of my M35 with 49k miles).

Assuming $3.00/gal as the future average price of regular unleaded for the next 5 years, it will be on year 3 that I can recover the $4,000 loss on the M35 to Prius swap.

Because the M35, or your ES for that matter, has superior comfort and amenities vs the Prius, it makes sense to keep our current cars for 3 more years. In my case, that's the remaining ownership period I expect on the M35 anyway.

However, at $4.00/gal, the "payback" is shorter, at 2 years. This means that if I keep my current car beyond 2 years, my opportunity loss is about $2,000/year.

The question then becomes, at $4.00/gal, is the comfort and convenience of our current cars worth $2,000/year ?

A conservative guess is that we'll be at somewhere between $3.00 to $3.50. Under that assumption, I'll probably wait another 1.5 to 2 years, when Prius prices would have stabilized and resale value of the current car would still be favorable.

Maybe within that period, we'll also have more hybrid options.
    Glad I was able to help you find Molle Toyota in K.C. MO

I have nothing but praise for the way they do business. My 2010 Prius is the 3rd purchase from them.

Good luck with yours.

Jim
  • luvthesunincaluvthesuninca Member Posts: 17
    I can see how the Lexus would be attractive. I too am trying to decide if I should pay the premium for a Hybrid. In 3 years, you will probably make up the difference. If you are planning to keep the car for 3+ it makes sense. I am betting I could also sell it after 3 years and maintain some value because they retain value well (the Hybrid).

I think I am going to go ahead with the Prius because I live in LA, drive a lot and the cost of gas is high.

But, you want to be comfortable too............I am wondering how comfortable the Prius is.
    Hi Atlantabenny:
    I am so glad that I am not the only one out there with this question. One more reason for you to consider and that is: I heard if you are buying new car this year, your sales tax on your new car is tax deductible.

I spoke with this lady today and she bought a new 2010 RX for little below the Edmunds invoice price. she bought her FWD with Nav and Wood trim and 19" wheel for 38700. with that said, i think we can expect more price movement for the RX than the Prius.

My case is a little different than yours is that I need to buy an additional car for my wife (i am not selling my ES). my question is if I should choose a comfort (and get the Lexus RX) or safe money (and get the Prius)?? the difference in price is apprx 10k plus apprx 1k difference in gas per year.

I wish I have a crystal ball!
    Hi lovthesunica:
    I test drove the Prius (the old and new models) , if you get the fully loaded Prius, it has a lot nice features (self park, pre collision control, park assist...) however, the comfort is DAY AND NIGHT compared to the Lexus (as expected) and the material inside the Prius looks cheap. that is why I said in the last note, it is like apple and orange.. the question is do you want confort or saving. the price is apprx 10k difference (fully loaded Prius & partially loaded RX) and the gas saving is apprx 1k per year, assuming 15k per year and gas is apprx $3.50/gallon.
    Pls let me know what you decided :-)
    I'm thinking those of you that are not sure about giving up your luxury brand for a Prius may not be ready. In 2007 I traded my Infinity FX45 for a Camry Hybrid. It was a tough decision. However my motivation was to save gasoline. It was not a "green" issue for me, it simply had to do with me personally not using any more foreign oil than I need to. I needed to walk my talk. This country needs to change and it really has to do it one person at a time. Will I make a dent? Probably not, but I may convince a few others, who will in turn convince a few others, who .....

I've loved cars as long as I can remember and the Camry was a far cry from what I was used to driving. Once I made the decision though I have not looked back. I've traded the Camry for a Highlander Hybrid (needed more space for the Grandkids and have a Prius V ordered (should get this week) for daily driving. I did find in the Camry with the Energy Screens on the NAV that each drive was a challenge in driving for maximum FE. I actually enjoyed playing with that as much as I liked rolling down the windows and listening to the FX wind out.

Your friends will think you've totally lost it. You have to know its the right thing to do or you may never be satisfied. Even then you will question yourself from time to time. The comfort and sportiness will not be there. I'm going to the Prius V in order to capture what sportiness there can be in driving a Prius. It will satisfy me, I am sure.

You may falter. As I decided on getting the Prius, I was tempted by the great deals on the CTS. Fortunately I could not work well with the local dealer so I went back to the Prius. It's was the right thing to do (for me).
  • dncbdncb Member Posts: 70
    I thought this was a forum dedicated to prices paid and buying experience. Why are there discussions about comparing Lexus to Prius, amenities in cars etc? Shouldn't they be elsewhere instead of forcing readers to sift through off topic posts to find out where to buy or not buy a Prius?
    I have "ordered" a white, Prius IV w/ navagation. I have been lead to believe a IV matching that description is on my dealers allocation list. Today I checked the toyota.com official site, and it appears that navagation is now linked with the solar roof ...at a big increase in price. Is that a change in policy, or just the way my computer is displaying the web site?
    Sorry you had to post another needless post. Now everyone will be ticked because I posted again to take time to respond to you. That's how these things happen.
  • paulsha911paulsha911 Member Posts: 4
    Just negotiated a 48 months lease with a dealer in San Francisco. Blizzard Pearl with Dark Grey, Pkg II, no option other than the Blu-Logic thing. $308/mo with $1284 out-of-pocket which includes first month payment, deposit.

Is that a decent deal?

Paul
    Just negotiated a 48 months lease with a dealer in San Francisco. Blizzard Pearl with Dark Grey, Pkg II, no option other than the Blu-Logic thing. $308/mo with $1284 out-of-pocket which includes first month payment, deposit.

Curious, what was the MSRP, residual and money factor?
    I don't know what the residual is. The purchase price is $23,269. With no capital paydown.

It's through Toyota Financing. The lease payment is significantly cheaper than the best quotes from leasecompare.com

The same deal on leasecompare.com has monthly payment of $360 and money factor of 0.00301.
    Well if you truly want to know if this is a good lease and you have any desire at all to possibly purchase the car at the end then you need to know the residual. How much of the MSRP are you really paying off in the lease. The interest rate on the leasecompare lease is around 8%. That's not good unless you don't have a good credit score. Four years is a long time to lease a car.
    If you were to purchase at 5% for 72 months and finance $23,000 your payment (not including taxes) is $370/mo and after 48 payments you'd owe less than $8500. You need to compare that to the residual from the Toyota lease
  • donaldleepepedonaldleepepe Member Posts: 1
    :mad: I sold my 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL that was fully loaded on Friday 6-26-09 to a Doctor in VA Beach, on Saturday 6-27-09 I placed a $5K deposit for a 2010 Prius IV in Silver with a solar moonroof package, it probably would be safe to say as of 7-6-09 the dealership hasn't placed my order.They informed me on Monday that they will have (3)Prius III in Gray arriving sometime this month. I will not settle for a Prius III since that is not what I ordered, I will inform the salesman to change my order to a Prius V with the ADV TECH package instead. :shades: I would like to say for the record after my purchase is 100% complete to my order specification's I will be rating RK Toyota on Edmunds, may be the first person yet to rate their experience with this particular dealership; However so far the salesperson did get me into a loaner car until my order comes in which I thought was very professional of him...
    Keep them both. Your 'fun car' is used for weekends and special events. The Prius is what you use for work. Literally, that is what we do with:

1) 2003 Prius - my commuting, work car
    2) 2010 Prius - my wife's goin' for groceries car
    3) 1993 Coachman RV - my wife's get outta town, mobile efficiency, which tows my 2003 Prius

Bob Wilson
  • dmaysdmays Member Posts: 7
    I'm a bit reluctant to plunk down MSRP for a Prius at this point and am wondering if others think the same way. I only paid 250 above invoice for my 2007 in 2007 after the model had been on the market for a couple of years. My 2007 is running great, averaging 48.6 MPG combined and so far no trouble.

Just wondering if anyone has had success with any dealer not driving the MSRP message. CARMAX is a few 100 below MSRP...but...
    Hi dmays. Please do not consider this as council .... we all have our owns needs and wants. I did agree to paying MSRP, but my circumstances were completely different. My car is a 2001, and while doing well, it consumes a lot of gasoline. My GIII IV is due in port on 7/10.

Knowing nothing about your circumstances ..... I think I would be inclined to wait. 1) you drive a 07 Prius that seems to be problem free, and very economical. 2) New models, (and the 2010 is mostly new from the wheels up), are more prone to have issues that, more than likely, will be resolved the following year. 3) Dealers will be very reluctant to sell below MSRP on a brand new model that is selling well. I understand the factory is working overtime trying to meet the demand. I even read where Toyota may limit Prius shipped to the USA to help meet the demand in Japan.

Quite frankly, I would have wagered that gas prices would be on the rise by now. The economy seems to be so bad that it is retarding price increases. But watch "cap and tax" in congress. If that passes, many, including myself, predict prices and taxes, will shoot sky-high. In addition, I read that credit is very hard to get. That will have a cooling impact on dealers holding out for MSRP.

All said, there are many factors to consider, and we must all make out own decision. As for me, we are proceeding with MSRP.
    Where are you located? It seems pretty easy to get at least $500-$1000 off MSRP in the SF Bay Area.