Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• algoma_jeffalgoma_jeff Member Posts: 1
    I drive an older Equinox and am normally very happy with the mpg. However, this summer in NY State got some fuel from at least two different stations that made my car struggle up hills and suck lots of fuel. After putting in better gas the problem went away.
  • jonoxjonox Member Posts: 100
    Additional information on the 2.4 L Equinox engine from website below.

http://tysongamblin.wordpress.com/2010/01/07/wards-top-10-engines-includes-gms-2- -4l-ecotec/

From personal experience I know that aluminum engines need to be carefully warmed up at every start before driving away. Also, engine oil is used to cool and lubricate variable valve timing mechanisms and must be meticulously clean. Some manufacturers insist on oil changes every 3 months or 3,750 miles, whichever occurs first.

These are sophisticated GM engines designed to compete with the "world engines" developed jointly by Mitsubishi, Daimler Chrysler and Hyundai which have been in production since 2005

Quote -

""The new Ecotec 2.4L engine includes technology that provides a number of benefits. “Direct injection was designed into the 2.4L to boost fuel efficiency and for refined power,” said Chris Meagher, chief engineer for Ecotec engines. “The variable valve timing system is tuned to work in tandem with direct injection to achieve optimum fuel economy and lower emissions. The engine achieves a respectable 182 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque, which makes for a pleasing customer driving experience.”

With direct injection, fuel is sprayed directly into the engine cylinder, where it is mixed with air. As the fuel vaporizes in the cylinder, the air and fuel mixture is cooled. This enables the use of a higher compression ratio, which improves engine efficiency and performance. Direct injection also reduces cold-start hydrocarbon emissions by up to 25 percent.

The Ecotec 2.4L engine is an all-aluminum, dual overhead cam, four-valve engine with forged steel connecting rods and oil spray cooling for reduced friction and noise. In all models, the engine is mated to a highly efficient six-speed automatic transmission. ""

End of Quote

Is it possible that valve timing issues could result in lube oil dilution (as has been reported on this site) due to mistimed fuel injection?
  • equity_ownerequity_owner Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2011
    :lemon: Well, I am posting AGAIN.

My 2011 Equinox broke down for a second time in 4 days! Third time since I purchased the car.

Took it to the dealer, and they say they replaced the "cam shaft regulators" for the second time in four days. C'mom, seriously. Who are they kidding. Translation: "We don't know what in the heck is wrong with this car, and will replace anything we can just to get you off our backs" The owner of the dealership told me to "wait for it to happen a 4th time, and they would support me pursuing a buyback". I was going to do it until I thought about it.

Why should I have to drive this NEW vehicle around, and wait for it to break down. Not happening. So, I took the necessary steps for buyback.

I am not going to bash all Equinox vehicles. I loved this car when I purchased it. Maybe I just have a lemon? Just IMO - this is the biggest pile of junk I have ever purchased. But, I bought this new to avoid mechanical problems and to have a reliable vehicle which this is NOT.

I do appreciate the advice about getting in and waiting for the lights before starting the vehicle. I hate to be negative here.... but, why should this vehicle require any special treatment as far as starting? Do any other Chevy's require this? Is this in the manual?

I am not sure what is going to happen with it.... but, even if I have to take somewhat of a loss, I am not sure I would own another Chevy. IMO I am the customer, and as such... Chevy needs to make this right. They did not hold up to their end of the contract.
  • auntiep22auntiep22 Member Posts: 29
    I just read your post. I'm on my second Nox as I too had a :lemon: ! I had less than 2500 miles on it before it went bye, bye. I live in CA and while driving on the freeway one day, the darn thing quit on me. Luckily, I was able to pull off the freeway and get the car restarted. It kept dying on me here and there and finally, I had had enough. I lived at the dealer more than at home! I know how you feel.
    I've had trouble with starting my second Nox but in waiting for the computer to reset before I start has made a tremendous difference. It doesn't knock or make a awful noise. I've been told that most dealers don't know about this and they should! Yes, I agree that Chevy should say something about it but as far as I'm concerned, they don't even know that you should wait for the computer to reset before starting. It makes since. You have to wait for your computer to reboot when you turn your computer on so it makes since.
    Good luck. If you do go through the repurchasing process, FYI don't let the dealer and GM charge you a fee!!! Yes, they both charge. Good luck!!
  • chevy48chevy48 Member Posts: 5
    #234 of 235 2012 Equinox 1-LT by chevy48
    Sep 14, 2011 (9:59 am)

Just wanted to let everyone know that I had to put my new equinox, 3-weeks old with 400 mile in the shop. I went to go to work and started it up and on came a light for the engine malfunction. I needed to get to work and decided I would drive it anyway. I backed out of my garage and put the car in drive and notice some hesitation and continued down the road and just felt that it was not responding well when I stepped on the gas pedal. I decided to turn around, when I slowed to turn the vehicle around it stalled. I restared and it was very sluggish but managed to get it back inot my drive way. My husband came out and when he went to move it back into the garage it stalled, he restarted and stepped on the gas pedal firmly to keep it from stalling. So as of right now, I do not know what it wrong with it and will keep everyone up to date when I find out from the dealership service dept. :(

:(
    This should start a 2012 Equinox string.
    Shame, you would think these issues would be sorted out after three years in production!!
    Is it the 2.4L or 3.0L engine?
    This is the 2.4.with 400 miles on it and have only had it for 3 weeks. It is a shame I really love this equinox. I researched it for about 6months. I wished I would have seen all of this information prior to purchasing. I hope no one else with the 2012 has this issue and it is just a fluke. Maybe wishful thinking though.
    Do you have one?
    Received a call from the service dept. Today, said my vehicle was done and ready for pickup. They said they replaced the Solenoid valve camshaft sensors (2). Went in signed the paperwork and got my keys. Checked the vehicle on the outside for any damage that may have occurred while my vehicle was in there possession( you never know what can happen), and everything looked good. Open the door put the key in the ignition and started her up. Everything seem to be ok, NO engine malfunction light on. Woo dee we are in business....wrong!!!put the car in reverse backed it up and then put it into drive---STALLED..in fact, it stalled 3x. Back into the service department and spoke with the guy in charge. He was shocked and came out to see...As if I wasn't telling the truth. Well they are trying again to fix it. Called me up and said it is the camshaft actuator. They replaced the camshaft sensor only. So that is my continuing un happy situation. They said the vehicle will be done tomorrow. I will keep everyone updated.
  • cmesmile32cmesmile32 Member Posts: 14
    Here is the latest on our Lemon drama, since we have an attorney, GM wanted our vehicle back in for a final repair attempt, we took it back in and left it overnight. The service manager stated they could not duplicate the stalling or hesitation between 20-30mph, they supposedly drove it on and off while they had it. We now have just over 4000 miles. They contacted an "engineer" that suggested they change the camshaft actuators, well, that had been done a month ago. So, we picked it up and by the time I got home, I had an email from the dealership thanking me for using their service department, but the email also stated in BOLD letters that my ENGINE NEEDED REPAIR! I can not wait to see how they explain this one to the attorney!
    Yep! Sounds like we are having the same sort of issues. Although, I was lucky enough to have mine run for four days (after they "fixed" it) before it broke down, and mine is a 2011. Two times in four days they replaced my "camshaft actuators"....

Well, I have had enough. This car has "broken down" 3 times in the year I have owned it.

Looks like they are having the same issues with the 2012 model too.
    Yes, I am the owner of a lemon as well. Kind of funnyhow many of the 2011 owners are having these "Camshaft actuator" problems (mine have been replaced twice in four days. The car has broken down 3 times since I purchased it. Now I see that someone who owns a 2012 posted with the same issues.

If they are aware of this particular issue... FIX IT! Stop selling junk!

I feel for you..... I am in the same boat. Very frustrating and disappointing!
    Yes! Agreed. It is a very "crappy engine". Runs like a beater!

GM boasts this as a top seller in crossovers.... Well, can't be too much longer before potential buyers start hearing all the problems this car is having. I plan on letting people know.
    More information about the 2.4L:

http://www.gizmag.com/noise-cancellation-improves-fuel-efficiency/19826/?utm_sou- rce=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Giz

It would be interesting to know why the 2.4L Equinox engine is so excessively noisy between 1000 and 1500 RPM that GM had to install noise cancellation technology inside the vehicle.
  • shari2011shari2011 Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2011
    I bought my Equinox December 1, 2010 and I have loved it. I get great gas mileage about 420 miles to a tank of gas. Then in May I noticed that it was idling rough. So I took it in to the dealership and they replaced something in the gas system. Then about within less than 30 days later it started doing it again and I also noticed that it was hesitating when I would put it in drive or reverse. I would actually have to wait a few seconds for it to go into gear. So I again took it to the dealership and they checked it out and the hesitation per the service guy was what he called normal for a 4 cylinder, which I don't agree with. I have owned to many cars and was married to a Mr Goodwrench before so I have some knowledge of mechanics. As per a GM bulletin they cleaned the fuel system and advised me to purchase my gas from High volume gas stations. As if I don't already. But needless to say I have made sure to follow exactly what they advised and now(mileage 11,700) I have had to take my vehicle back because along with the hesitation, and rough idle the car is skipping terribly while I drive everywhere I go and I can feel it changing gears at some speeds almost like it wants to stahl. So I dropped it off on Wednesday and today is Tuesday. They have now replaced the camshaft sensors per the GM bulletin and evidently that did not fix the problem. I don't know if it is bettor or worse as I don't have my car back yet. But know I have been told that they had to order a computer for my car. What this is, is a device that connects to my car while it is being driven that sends information directly to GM so GM can tell them what is wrong with my vehicle. I can only assume that I now have a GM case number as the dealer knows that this is a third time problem on my car for the same problem and that we have a lemon law in SC and they won't release my car until fixed or they told me that they would have to contact GM. Anyone else had a hook up to GM with a device like this. I am just curious. I love my Equinox but at this point I am really concerned about the validity of the GM engine or GM. I really hoping that I get treated fairly and that if they can't fix it right or to my satisfaction per our law that they follow the law and not try to get around it. I have owned several Chevy's and GM vehicles including others now, but it just takes one bad deal to make me turn away, please GM if your reading these do the right thing.
  • tonydeciantistonydeciantis Member Posts: 9
    I purchased a 2011 Chevy Equinox a month ago the first 10 days it was fine but then it was all down hill from there I was driving one day and it decides to just shut down I was in a real shock with that. Of course I called the dealer and told them I was passing by but never told them what had happend. I get there the salesperson sees me and says how are you enjoying your new vehicle. So I said you tell me lets go for a ride. I told him you drive. We drove for about 20 minutes and I asked how do you think this vehicle is performing he says its great. I said are you sure because it just stalled on me 1 1/2 hours ago I think he thought I was just wasting his time but I was not. You know what he said to me, its my imagination I looked at him and said its not I should know since I drive the vehicle everyday. I ended up leaving going home and researching about this and that when Ive seen the same messages from others just like myself. Must be everyones imagination cause I think we are all crazy and just making this all up. I figure out a recall from this search called recall # 11195a and it was about the problems we were experiencing. I made an appointment with the dealer for a saturday, the friday before that day the dealer calls me not to bring in the vehicle telling me the parts were not in. I said ok but I was told it was a matter of just reprograming the computer (ecm) he said no parts would have to be changed I said fine. Tuesday the following week I get a call from the dealer telling me that a recall would have to be done on my vehicle I said I know. Can you bring it in as soon as possible I said oh..... the parts are in. Parts what parts Im like these people need to get there act together so I explained tells me I will call you back. 10 minutes later she calls me back said sorry your parts are not in. Ok fine whatever Friday I get a call again your parts are in, ok good finally I will bring it tomorrow. Saturday comes Im at the dealer, the advisor sees me and says are you here for the recall I say yes ok no problem we will take care of it right away. Wow this service I thought to myself. I go upstairs half hour later cause they had a cafeteria that opened at 8:30am
    so Im ordering my food I see my vehicle from the window still sitting outside. (yes take care of you right away) [non-permissible content removed] they are all liers. I get my vehicle back after 15 minutes the same problems are back. Now I get General Motors involved tell them my situation I said fix it or replace it. They say to me but you have to do a recall I said I did on saturday maybe its not updated yet. He says nothing was done. Today I opened the hood and looked under and not a single finger print was there just the building up of dust and dirt remember its only a month old.
    I cant believe this I call the dealer back and explained I believe nothing was done on saturday. Called General Motors today and told them I said if they cant fix my vehicle then replace the damn thing its nothing but a headache. So now Saturday I go back again to the dealer but something better be done or else legal action will have to be taken. I have driven GM all my life and this is my very first disappointment I have experienced this vehicle in my opinion its a lemon and a road hazzard.
    Suggest you do a search of the "2010 Equinox Problems" threads for the word "ECO". You will find that some owners seem to have avoided the engine hesitation by not using the "ECO" setting which is designed to lower engine RPM for better fuel economy.

The "Eco" setting may be ok if you use it as an "overdrive" setting for highway cruising.

Worth a try anyway.
  • princessjorjaprincessjorja Member Posts: 1
    I just traded in my 2002 Ford Escape for the 2011 Equinox 6cyl. I just loved my Escape but thought I would give Chevy a try. I took ownership of the vehicle on Sat Sep 3rd. Drove it all day Sunday and just could not get comfortable in the vehicle. I spoke to my salesman on Monday (which was labor day) and told him I was not liking the vehicle. He said nothing. Tuesday I emailed him and asked what my options were. He told me I would have to get it appraised and I could trade it in but it would cost me more money. I brought the car to the Ford Dealer. Explained my dilemma, they gave me a great price on a fully loaded 2012 Escape but it was going to cost me almost $4,000. They Finance person was looking over all my paper work from the sale of the Equinox and there is NO VIN# on any of the papers that have my signature. I am told technically I do not own this vehicle. I still do not have a new registration so I am driving around with my old registration from my Escape and I have a purchase agreement with NO VIN#. The Odometer Form has NO odometer reading on it nor does it have the VIN#. I spoke with the dealer yet again and he said that it was fine and they they could provide me with the VIN# and the reason it was not on the paper work was because they hadn't secured the vehicle with the other dealership at the time I had signed all the papers! It gets better. This morning I am on my way to work. I was at a stop light, it turned green and I proceed to accelerate through the intersection when it felt like the car stalled but it didn't it then picked up speed very slowly. I was nearly rear ended! I was so scared. I have contacted my salesman but have yet to hear back from him. I am going to be calling an attorney to see if there is a legal issue regarding the paper work. I don't want to be going through the numerous trips to the service center as many of you have had to do. UGHHHHH I should have never left FORD, my very first car was a Ford and I always had Fords after that. :cry:
  • cmesmile32cmesmile32 Member Posts: 14
    Please keep us all updated on your progress with the computer! My case is still pending with the attorney, we are the ones that have the 2011 with the all of the stalling and hesitation issues, too. GM had requested a final attempt to repair the vehicle and the service manager said they could not replicate the problem, but the email that beat me home said my vehicle needed engine repair......the GM drama continues. I have told the attorney to ask for a bumper to bumper 100K mile warranty and compensation for our zillion trips to the dealership, if GM thinks their vehicle is so great, they shouldn't be afraid to back it!
    edited September 2011
    9/22/11 I received a call today and all communications with Gm have show that when they replaced the camshaft sensors they failed to do the reprograming. As of today the reprogramming has been done and all testing is showing normal. The top mechanic has driven my vehicle and the service manager and all seems to be fine. We have had a lot of rain today so they are keeping it over night to do more testing and driving to make sure everything is ok. My dealer is great as far as service I could not ask for better. They like me are a middle man. They can only do what GM tells them since they could not find the problem themselves. When I get my vehicle back will be the true test to see if it is right to me and to make sure I have not lost my gas mileage either. I will keep everyone updated. I am hoping I have one of the vehicles like some of the post I have seen that everything turns out ok. Considering that I made it a lot further on mileage it seems I might have a better turn out. I have my fingers crossed.
  • sumr616sumr616 Member Posts: 90
    Dear ALL -

If your vehicle is experiencing a rough idle, or near stalling/complete stall-out at a low throttle opening (like accelerating from a stop, or right after you put the car into gear), then you need to look into the following repairs...This may or may not also set off your check engine light, with codes P0011 and/or P0014.

This is a KNOWN issue. Unfortunately, many dealers still haven't had to deal with it yet, or they are just all around crappy dealers...

If you own a 2011, with build dates approximately between 2/11 - 6/11 = CALL your dealer and ask them to look up your VIN number and see if your car qualifies for RECALL 11195. Under this recall, your problem WILL be fixed. They will replace the cam phase solenoid valves, most commonly called the solenoids (however, everyone seems to call them by a different name) AND they will update the ECM with new software. These two things MUST be done at the SAME TIME. The new solenoids can NOT be replaced and the ECM NOT be updated at the same time. The new software changes the way that the cam shaft operates, and without this new software, the new solenoids WILL definitely fail again. So, double check your work order before you leave to verify that they have performed both. The solenoids are on short supply, so they may have to order these parts and schedule the service appointment for a week or so later.

IF your vehicle does NOT qualify for the recall - request that they try the recall repairs anyways, because they may help.

IF you also have the start-up noise coming from your engine for the first 2-4 seconds right after you start the engine....they should replace the actuators and you should opt for an oil change. This replacement of the actuators for the start-up engine noise is dictated by service bulletin PI0562. The bulletin does NOT require an oil change, but an oil change (even if your engine only has 1,000 miles on it and doesn't *need* an oil change yet) done at the same time as replacement of the actuators is VITAL - long story short, the entire process of correcting the start-up noise began with the fact that as the engine gets broken in, the oil frequently collects debris from normal break-in, like metal shavings, these shavings can sometimes be visible inside the pleats of your oil filter and can get stuck in the actuators and cause problems.

The RECALL 11195 also does not require an oil change, HOWEVER, because of the same above stated reasons, an oil change is HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended by me and other people that have gone through this process. The solenoids (included in the RECALL 11195) have a very fine screen on them that the oil travels through, if your oil is very dirty, like from normal engine break-in, then these screens can get clogged and thus cause problems. The reason the solenoids need to be replaced as dictated by the RECALL, is because they can become damaged and stick, causing an insufficient amount of oil to travel through the cam shaft.

If your vehicle is experiencing these problems, and included in the recall, call your dealer ASAP to schedule your service. If your vehicle is NOT included in the recall, then use this information to discuss with your Service Manager the option of trying these same repairs. In my opinion, if your vehicle does not qualify for the recall, then you should be speaking directly to the Service MANAGER. NOT the Service Writers. You will get further in the process much quicker, and *should* get better results in the long run.

If your dealership isn't taking your concerns seriously, then request to start a case with GM Customer Service. You can speak with a district rep that will help the communication between you and your dealer.

I spent three months this summer dealing with these same issues, so that is why I know all of this information, I literally went through this process AS GM was making their decisions on issuing the recall, they unofficially learned from my and others vehicles. I, like you, have been through this. You can also go over to www.equinoxforum.net (same as www.terrainforum.net) and see the same information there, and you can also read through other people's experiences as well. Good luck, and keep everyone here updated with your progress so that you can help others in this situation as well. I NEVER would have gotten my vehicle back in proper working order if it had not been for the experiences that other people went through and shared.
    Thank you! I appreciate the information. Sounds exactly like what my Nox is doing. I had the "Cam Shaft Actuators" replace twice.

Just my opinion - I purchased a "new car", and I expected nothing less. I have had my car serviced for the engine light four times since I purchased it. This is the type of issue you might expect with a used car, but not a new car. I am really tired of wondering whether my car is going to "break down" everytime I drive it. Waiting for the engine light to come on.
    This car is unreliable. Not something a "new car" owner should be going through. If GM is aware of these issues, then FIX THEM before you sell anymore of these.

The GM rep keeps encouraging me to take the car to the dealer as it it still running rough. Sorry, I don't have the time to keep running this thing to the dealer every week so they can tell me there is nothing wrong with it. They asked me what I wanted the outcome to be - my reply - "A new car". I am sure they are going to fight me tooth and nail.

So, anyway...... I am very disappointed in this car. Guess I am leaning toward chalking this up as a loss, and remembering what automaker NOT to buy a car from next time.
  • clarkg1clarkg1 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks so much for your post. My 2011 Equinox has 3000 miles and I've had the noisy start from the begining (occasionally). The stalling just started. It's now at the dealer for the third time in a week. They claim to not have had any more cases like it. However, they did change the cam shaft solenoid valves on the first visit but, it still stalls. I now feel a little better informed to talk to them about it. Thanks again.
    9/23/2011 Picked up my car this afternoon. So far seems to be ok. Will be driving it a lot this weekend and this coming week. My ticket is still open until I report back to them as to my satisfaction. I will post again on Monday.
    First I have to correct you, it has nothing to do with cars built between 2/11 thru 6/11 I bought my 2011 Equinox on Sept 2010. It also is happening in the GMC Terrain and some 2010 model Equinox's so this has been going on for a while. This is a problem that GM has known about and should have taken care of well before now. I bought my care from a very well know dealership so the dealer is not where the problem lies. My dealer is excellent and has done everything you listed above and took extra steps to find out what was wrong with my car. It is with GM's failure to get the information to the dealers to fix the problem or put out a recall before these cars are sold. Instead they have procrastinated and hoped that we would not had problems or noticed and just ignored the situations. I suggest no one back down in dealing with GM the government is cracking down on these companies and how they do business. Please follow through if you do not get a full solution there are agency's out there that will help you.
    What were the part numbers on what they replaced? And did they update the ECM? Your vehicle absolutely will NOT perform better if they do NOT update the ECM at the SAME TIME as the solenoids are replaced.

If you've had check engine lights and the rough idle and poor driveability issues, they should have replaced the solenoids, part numbers 12628347 and 12628348. At the SAME time that they replace these parts, they should be updating the ECM, as dictated by bulletin PI0496.

Your issue absolutely CAN be corrected! Unfortunately, you have to be your OWN advocate on this. I had to demand that my service manager print out that bulletin and read it, as soon as he did, he said, "huh, you know, that does sound like it applies to your car. I should've looked at this sooner." (imagine my frustration)

PI0496- I can provide you with a copy if you'd like, but you can go into your dealership, ask to speak with the Service MANAGER, and have him print out this bulletin and read it, and perform the work. If the codes that are showing on your car are P0011 and/or P0014, then this bulletin should apply to you. Again, it's vital that they replace the solenoids and update the ECM at the same time. If they do not update the computer at the same time, then the solenoids will be damaged as you drive - the computer update they have to do changes the way that the solenoids operate, for durability concerns.

Stay in touch with me, I want to know that you speak with your dealer again, and I really hope you can get it worked out.
    The direct injection noise is supposed to be noisier. It's normal. The same noise cancellation technology that is used in the Equinox is also used in the Ford Explorer. It's just to cut down on road noise and engine noise.
    Request for them to replace the solenoids and update the ECM. You can refer them to PI0469 for the proper ECM update and solenoid parts. Replacing the solenoids and updating the ECM should address the rough driving and possible stalling at a low throttle opening. I really think that the solenoid replacement AND ECM update can help you.
    I'm glad I can help spread some info on this stuff - trust me, I completely sympathize with how frustrating this all is. I dealt with it for three months this summer, and now my car is PROBLEM FREE!! :)

I dealt with the start-up engine noise, and the rough idle/poor driveability/stalling and hesitation at low throttle openings (which also got bad enough to trigger my check engine light)....

In total - my car has had the Actuators replaced (part #12621505), solenoids replaced (part # 12628347 and 12628348), ECM update, and oil changes.

Problems first began at 1500 miles, they performed the first repair at about 4500 miles when it became a very regular and consistent problem, and my last repair work was done at 8300 miles. I'm now sitting at about 11,600 miles and am completely problem free at this point!

These problems ARE KNOWN ISSUES. However, some dealers haven't dealt with it yet, effectively at least, and many dealers just don't know the information that is available in the service bulletins. (and they should be ashamed of that, they should at least read through them as they are issued)

The most important thing to remember, especially for your car, is that the ECM update MUST be performed at the SAME time that they replace the solenoids. The reason for this is that part of the ECM update changes the way that the solenoids operate "for durability concerns." (quotes emphasize the terms taken directly from the service bulletins) So, essentially, if they give you new solenoids without an ECM update, the new solenoids will just get damaged again over time. Know what I mean? They have the full capability of fixing this problem, sometimes you just have to pester them about it to make sure they do it properly.

And, for good measure, get an oil change. It's not required by any of the service bulletins out right now, but it is a very wise thing to do right now, with the problems that have been rising with these engines. It's a "better safe than sorry" kind of thing.
    You are correct, these problems have reared their heads in many model years of the Equinox. The specific build date range I referred to is a qualifying factor for the RECALL only. There are other service bulletins that cover other build date ranges.

PIP4716 covers the start-up noise for 2010 model years. It used to include the 2011, but they removed it from that bulletin and created PI0496 with specific build dates of 2/18/11-6/6/11, and the RECALL 11195 is for a very specific build date as well, if you call your dealer and ask them to look up your VIN they will be able to tell if there is an open recall that applies to your vehicle.

Just wanted to post this for a little more clarification.

If you are having issues with the start up noise, you can refer them to PIP4716 and PI0562. If you are having problems with stalling/hesitation and poor driveability, you can request that they do an ECM update and have them look into the integrity of your solenoids, as indicated in PI0469 and the RECALL 11195 repair work. Hopefully they've already done this.
    I will let you now, but I am pretty sure they did, because they told me that they had to reprogram it.
    Congratulations on your excellent synopsis of 2.4L engine problems and solutions which will help a lot of people get to grips with GM's communication shortcomings on the issue.

Reference your comment on noise attenuation I'd refer you to the link associated with my previous post.

http://www.gizmag.com/noise-cancellation-improves-fuel-efficiency/19826/?utm_sou- rce=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Giz

Draw your own conclusions but regardless of the perceived benefit, I'd be asking if normal engineering practice wouldn't avoid running an engine at speeds where there is notable vibration (and consequent noise).
    I completely understand your point of view, I'm not discounting it, by any means.

I mean, historically, people used to always by quality items because they knew they'd be durable, and they lasted forever. Now, it's "well, it should last me about 10 yrs before it'll break and I'll have to buy another one.."

Sometimes greed gets in the way of quality/efficiency/durability/whatever you call it.
    edited September 2011
    I spoke with my service manager today as I still feel some slight driveability issue the same as before, it is much much better. But I do know that the parts were changed on Thursday and my car was driven on Friday and Monday and then they were advised of the reprogramming on Monday afternoon. So I have asked that they replace the parts and reprogram at the same time. So there will be no damage to the parts (selenoids). The manager has read the many statements on this forum from those who have stated no further problems and has heard my voiced concerns and my concern with the issue still at hand and is going to contact GM to get permission to redo the job under warranty. He feels there should not be any problem. So I hope to hear from them tomorrow. My car is at the lemon stage so I don't think I will have a problem I think it would be cheaper than buying my car back. So I will keep you informed. I hope that will take care of it. It is almost back to normal.
    Wonderful! They should be able to gain approval for the "recall-redo." I don't see why not, especially since you're in lemon stage. It is normal to have a little bit of a sluggish feel to it though, so keep that in mind, I know it's not ideal, but also remember that it's still a heavy car with a small engine in the grand scheme of things. But, with regards to the hesitation/possible stalling, this should absolutely be taken care of by the recall work.

I can't remember if you had the problems with the start-up engine noise (if you did, you would know it, trust me). Anyways, if the start-up engine noise comes back, you can have them replace the Actuators (part #12621505) under bulletin PI0562...just something to kind of file in the back of your mind in case you need the info, but most people have seen the start-up noise disappear completely with the recall work (even though that's not the stated intention of the recall work).

Again, keep us posted here! You're experience will help others as well! Good luck!
  • joet24joet24 Member Posts: 1
    So I have been dealing with the issues that you have stated above. My vehicle is making the start up noise and doesnt seem to be going away. The dealership replacedthe solenoid and did the computer update. Then we also have had the actuator replaced with out an oil change. Can I have the mechanic do an oil change now even though the actuator was replaced weeks ago and still expect that to fix the problem? Or will they have to re-replace the actuator and do an oil change at the same time to have the problem fixed. Any help with these questions will be appreciated.
    I think it helps to have the oil change done at the same time. However, if this will be the first oil change done on the car, then yes, do it now. The sooner the better, for these cars apparently. To help more specifically with your car, it'll be helpful if you give a little more detail on what they have done.

I'm assuming you have a 2011....how long ago did they replace the solenoids? Was it done as part of the recall?
    Do you know the build date for your car? (month/year)
    Ok, what date did they replace the solenoids and update the computer, and what was the date that they replaced the actuators?
    Did they update the computer on the SAME DAY, at the SAME TIME, as when they replaced the solenoids?

These answers will help me figure out what they may have done wrong, or what else you might want to try (like an oil change).

Regardless of these answers, if you have not had an oil change at all yet, or have not had the oil changed since the time you noticed the problems begin, then it would be wise to go ahead and get one down now. The oil change will probably have to be paid out of pocket. Let me know the above info and I can help you out some more. Thanks!
  • aklaw10aklaw10 Member Posts: 1
    I've been periodically checking into this thread since we first noticed the god awful engine noise on start-up. Ironically, there was a recall letter mailed to us a few days later, after trying to explain to the dealership what we were experiencing. The engine noise made our brand new (couple months old) equinox sound like a POS old clunker.

The recall was taken care of and we were still having problems with the engine noise. We never did experience the car stalling on us, but I can say the 2.4L is not getting the fuel efficiency it speaks of online and in commercials. If anything and at best, we've been getting around 24 mpg, never topping 30 mpg. I've seen some of you post you've had it drop down into the teens.

Called the dealership back and they explained there was a new PI indicating some problems with these 2.4L engines that may help fix what we were hearing. This is what they did, and we have not heard the horrible sounds at start up anymore (keeping fingers crossed there will be no more problems):
    *Heavy Line Engine Dept checked it out
    Noise due to PI0562 Faulty Camshaft Actuators. Upon replacing Actuators found water pump chain tensioner not holding tension and chain to be excessively loose. As per PI0202A Also replaced water pump drive chain and tensioner due to already into timing chain repair and lower chain loose due to faulty tensioner. Replaced Water pump/balance shaft timing chain and tensioner and replaced both camshaft actuators for startup noise.
    Part #'s:
    90537300 - Tensioner 1.060
    12645237 - Chain 1.109
    24435052 - Gasket 0.207
    12609291 - Seal 0.423
    12345610 - Oil 8.800 x 5
    12605565 - Filter 1.836
    12621505 - Actuator 0.736 x 2

Hope this helps.
  • avg823avg823 Member Posts: 9
    I've also been monitoring this issue since my Equinox started making the noise in April. GM has the engine apart as we speak and is repairing the timing chain. The mechanic told me about the recall notification, but said that my specific car was NOT recalled based on the VIN number. Therefore, he isn't addressing it. What really bothers me is that GM is aware of the issue and is continues to sell the model.
  • missdaisy1944missdaisy1944 Member Posts: 14
    My equinox had the engine noise, plus hesitation. 5,100 miles on it. Friday when picking up our grandson at school, the car died while waiting in line. I came home and googled Equinox complaints and found this forum. Thank goodness. I started at the beginning and read half way through and was frightened. I got up Saturday morning the 24th and decided to go to the last posting, hence I saw the posting of sumr616.
    I called my dealer and talked to my salesman who told me that he too had problems with his and that he would call over to the service department for me. They told me to bring it in immediately, I did with suggestions from this forum, and they ask me to leave it for about 3 hours. My husband told them he wanted the oil change which sumr616 suggested, they agreed to do that. Now I was to drive to N.C Sunday morning and some were depending on me for transportation.

Here is what they did at the service department.

recall v2444 reprogram ECM and replace camshaft position actuator solenoid. 12646783/4 valve. they also rotated the tires and did the oil change. I drove the 525 miles to and from N.C with no problems what so ever. It drove like the new car I bought. So far so good. I am a senior citizen and have a horrible fear of breaking down while out of state or town.
    edited September 2011
    I have the same problem as well but just to let you know that problem is only on low speeds when Im driving on the hiway everything is fine Ive been to the dealership 2 times already and the vehicle is 5 weeks old did the recall oil change and its still the same. Im giving them a chance but my patience is slowly running out. Soon if this keeps up I will tell them to buy back the vehicle.
    You know what boils my blood with this I keep bringing the vehicle back and keep complaining these people see me all the time at the dealership. The last time I was there I stayed and had no plans of leaving and just kept watching what was going on. We went for a test drive he said he felt the stalling lack of power etc.... Bring it back to the shop hooks up the vehicle and of course no codes show up. He says well with no codes I cant do anything so I say but you experienced the problem. I think they do this on purpose with these codes, but its funny when your vehicle has no warranty it seems all these codes come out why is that is it because they dont want to dish out any cash to fix the problem. My vehicle is a road hazzard and a lemon and should be put into the garbage just like the others that are out there.
    I was informed by GM head office that you need to wait for about 12,000 miles or 20,000 kms to break in the engine to get the proper gas mileage.
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    My knee surgeon told me the same thing. Wait at least a year before you complain about pain. My lawyer says that's the statute of limitations. Math, gotta love it.
    Refer them to PI0562 - this addresses the start-up engine noise. They will replace the Actuators, part # 12621505. For good measure, get an oil change also, even if it's not time to get it yet, it will only help, trust me.

When they do that work, also request that they update the ECM/TCM (computer) with the newest update. This may help any rough shifting you have.

Something to note, there will always be a slight downshift feel to the car whenever you remove your foot from the gas pedal, this is intended by the programming, to improve mileage. So you'll always be able to feel that slight downshift, but it should only be slight. It's possible, just depending on when you bought your car, that a computer update can help this. Good luck! I hope it works out!
    Does your vehicle qualify for the recall 11195? Ask your dealer, only they can tell you based on your VIN, they can look it up in the Warranty system. If it doesn't, ask them to perform that work anyway. There's no gaurantee that they WILL, but it CAN have the possibility of helping your near stalling. Those are the same "symptoms" that are listed in the recall notice.

If you have the start-up engine noise also, then refer them to PI0562 - they will replace the Actuators, and it's very wise to also get an oil change at this same time.

If you haven't had an oil change yet, then it's a good idea to go ahead and get one, even if it's not required at this point. It will only help. The solenoids have screens that the oil flows through, if you have metal shavings from normal engine break-in (some have reported being able to see these shavings in the pleats of their oil filter), the shavings can get caught in the solenoids and cause these same problems. At the very least, you can request them to check the solenoids for debris and to clean the solenoids. This takes like 15 minutes tops, so they should at least be willing to do that.
    Yes! Wonderful! Sounds like you had a very pleasant experience at the dealer. It looks like they performed the repair correctly. One thing for you to keep in mind - the recall work that they performed on your vehicle is not specifically intended to correct the start-up engine noise that you had, BUT most people have seem that noise disappear as an added bonus of the recall repair work. IF the noise happens to return, do not be worried. You can refer them to PI0562, this is meant to specifically address the start-up noise. With this repair work, they will replace the Actuators (part #12621505). At that point, you should be good to go for sure.

You should be fine now, but just keep in mind that IF the start-up noise does return, you still have an option for a fix. Otherwise, you should be problem free! So glad it worked out for you! Good luck!
  • avg823avg823 Member Posts: 9
    I picked the car up yesterday. The tech changed the actuators and I haven't had any problems yet. Hopefully, it stays that way. It's been so long since my car has run smoothly, I forgot how good the gas mileage could be. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • tony2011tony2011 Member Posts: 5
    I have read through several emails on here and the hesitation problem along with the scratching plastic metal sound when starting the vehicle "seems" to have been taking care of by replacing the camshaft position actuator. This is according to the "11195 ECM Campaign V2444.7. The problem is that since that time the mileage has dropped dramatically. The vehicle was getting about 27 to 28mph combined city/highway. Now I am getting between 2.8 to 24.5 mpg. The vehicle has over 5,600 plus miles so it is well broken in. Most of the miles are highway miles. The latest is that my dash board lights will go from bright to dim and dim to bright - and there is no reason for it. I was told that all I have to do is turn off the auto - light mode and it will stop it. My question is - why did it not happen during the last 3 and half months I owned the car? The clouds outside and the weather are no different? I believe that Chevy has created a vehicle that is NOT as advertised. Their 600 mile distance and 32 mile per gallon highway is an outright lie. My fuel distance that is shown on my dashboard currently (with a full tank of gas) is 395 miles. This vehicle is bad news.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    For the dimming/bright thing, I see this question every year starting about this time. The lower sun angle as we head towards winter fools the sensor into thinking its getting dark and it switchs to nigh time (dim) mode. As the dealer suggested taking it out of auto-mode will make it not happen. What I do if it is bothering me is to turn the dimmer switch all the way up on bright so the change isn't as noticable.