Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• acrsxacrsx Posts: 3
    Its a tad above the $20k mark, but hey, the nav looks totally sweet!
  • subzero206subzero206 Posts: 111
    and for under 20k MSRP!
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    Smartypants.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    Shifty, where is the discussion on the 2003 (not 2002!) Acura RSX? Please provide a direct link since you closed my original discussion board saying that this board already exists. Thanks.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    You can post your questions about the 2003 RSX in this discussion. We purposely leave the model years off of certain discussions, so people can discuss more than one year model in the same area. This helps to reduce the amount of discussions needed for one particular make/model. Otherwise some of our busier boards tend to get very cluttered, making it difficult for people to find the main ongoing discussions.

Back to the subject of the RSX. Have you checked in Edmunds' Future Telling section for news on the 2003 RSX? Here's a direct link to the Acura section. Hope this is helpful. Perhaps someone else has more to add.... Thanks for your particiption. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • irontigerirontiger Posts: 20
    I am planning to get a Honda Civic as a daily driver. With all of the extra options installed, the price will come around $17,000. Do you think I would be better off going for the base RSX instead? How much are you guys paying for insurance? Will repairs be very expensive?
  • aroonaroon Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. I am new here. Does anyone know where reverse is situated in the RSX six speed tranny? To the left of first? Or beside sixth?
    And to any owners, is it possible to screw up the car buy accidentally shifting from second to first (yes, i know that first is directly up from second, but still), if reverse is beside that gear>?

Or is it possible to shift from fifth to sixth if R is situated there?

The reason I ask is that although i have driven the base RSX, i did not have shift into reverse, and generally Honda products do not have a "reverse mechanism." For example Fords (Focus and Cougar, to name 2) have a ring to pull up to shift into reverse.

-Aroon
  • does anyone know when the type r is officially coming out, because i am getting a new car in august and am ready to put a deposit down on the 350z. the z costs 27 grand. do you know if the rsx r will be cheaper than that or not. if its not, i cant imagine it selling well. but anyway, if anyone could tell me when the type r is comin i would greatly appreciate it.
    You'll find a little information about the 2003 RSX Type R in Edmunds' Future Telling. Others here may have more to add. Good luck. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • jfunkjfunk Posts: 25
    I wouldn't pay over 25G for the type R personally. Have you considered the RX8 also? It should be priced in line with the 350Z with RWD and perfect 50/50 weight distribution.
  • i have but i already own a rotary and know what the reliability is like, no matter what mazda may claim. i need a car to last me a very long time. the rsx-type s is 24 grand, so maybe the type r will be around the same, because the last type r was about the same as a loaded gs-r.
  • despite rotary reliability, if they actually brought back the rx7, id probably get one.
    Mike, what Mazda did you have? I knew there were problems with the RX7's with turbo in the past, but the new 8 is naturally aspirated. That said I'm sure they're more expensive to repair do to the exclusivity of the rotor.
    You should pick up the new issue of R&T you may rethink 'needing' the RX7 as the Mazda spokesman told the R&T editor, "We made the body of this thing stiffer than that of the RX7". I still have issues/reservations/dissapointment, over Ford owning like 30% of Mazda now, but that's a personal qualm. The good news is this one seems to be made entirely by Mazda, and not Ford (who almost nixed the project from the start).
    If you were seriously considering the RSX, you may want to hold out to see what the "sporty"
    '03 Accord coupe will look like, as it is supposed to fill the Prelude void. (Which I am lamenting being a '97 type SH owner)
  • im not really into coupes that are as big as the accord. if the type r comes out in september or earlier and is under 26 grand im definately getting that. and yeah i know how good the new rx8's handeling is and all that, but the reliability will still be crappy. a new engine in the first model year is bad enough, but a new rotary is even worse. as for what i had, my dad had a 3rd gen r1 and i have a first gen with a second gen tII motor. like you said, the reliability isnt all that bad but considering what the cars cost parts are super expensive.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    The position for reverse is to the right of 6th.

There is an internal lockout mechanism that prevents the gearshift lever from going directly into reverse from 5th.

Yes, the tranny will allow a 2-1 downshift, which (if done unintentionally, say, during a 2-3 upshift at redline) will cause mechanical damage to the engine by over-revving it.
  • THe RSX is ugly i would rather buy an Integra and to the JDM front end conversion. Plus the Integra handles better
  • havent heard anyone say that the integra handles better than the rsx. where are you getting that from?
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    well the integra has a lower center of gravity and definitely feels like it handles better. I don't know if it can actually corner faster or more neutral or anything, it just feels like the Integra handles better. The models I have driven were a 2000 GSR and a 2002 RSX-S
  • irontigerirontiger Posts: 20
    Will the RSX be more expensive to repair than the Honda Civic EX? How much are you guys paying for your insurance? Thanks
    One thing to also take into consideration is the factory warranty. The Acura warranty is 4 year/50k and includes roadside service. The Honda warranty 3yr/36k, with no roadside service. Therefore, if you plan on keeping the vehicle for around 4 years, you're repair costs are pretty much covered with the Acura, up to 50k miles.

On the Civic, you're subject to repair costs after the 3rd year or 36k miles. Of course let's not forget that Honda/Acura has a pretty good reliability record. You can check with Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to find out the manufacturer recommended service schedules and costs.

As for insurance, keep in mind that a number of different factors are going to effect your rates: location, state requirements, age, sex, driving record, and etc. Also, when comparing, be sure you're plugging in the same exact line items such as liabilities, limits, deductible, and additional coverages....

Fyi, in Edmunds' Insurance Center, you'll find some good articles on shopping for insurance. Also on that same page, check out the link for a free insurance quote. That would be a good way to compare the rates between these two. Anyway, my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • lzguttlzgutt Posts: 1
    For those of us in states that require it, where on a 2002 RSX does a front license plate go? The front end looks great, but I've never seen an RSX pictured with two plates...
  • revitrevit Posts: 476
    I am debating between the RSX with an automatic transmission and the the Civic EX Coupe with an automatic transmission and side airbags. Obviously, the Civic is cheaper, but I welcome all comments on comparing the two regarding ownership cost, reliablity, etc.

Thanks!
    They will both be expensive to insure, the Acura more so, due to higher kit levels.

Both will exhibit excellent reliability, but the fit and finish and cabin materials will be a bit better on the Acura (built in Japan). The longer warranty and positive service experiences you'll receive at the Acura shop will, over time, go a long way towards offsetting the price difference between the two. You're not likely to find a Honda shop that offers loaners.

The RSX has a hatch, which gets the nod for utility. You also get a 5AT instead of the Civic's 4AT, providing better overall perfomance.

In addition, if you choose the RSX, you're not likely to meet yourself on the road 20 times a day like most Civic drivers do.

The RSX also has far better seats than the Civic, with available leather, if that's your thing.

Happy shopping!
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    to insure by intellichoice.
  • carguy62carguy62 Posts: 545
    My Honda dealer gladly provides a loaner (they even rented me one when all of theirs were out) and I didn't even buy the car there. It's not just Acura that provides loaners. And you can have your Honda serviced by Acura and vice versa, I see Acuras at my Honda dealer all the time. Acura=Honda. Honda=Acura.
    Cheapest what--coupe, sedan? When you're talking 2-doors, you're always going to have higher premiums.

The Civic may be one of the cheapest in its class to insure, but when compared to a mid-sized sedan, it's pricey.

carguy62: count your blessings!
  • ranaldranald Posts: 147
    I suspect the RSX will be cheaper to insure than the Integra, at least wrt theft. IMO the lack of engine interoperability with the current Civic will make the RSX much less desirable to steal.

Just think about it- there are *alot* of Civic hybrids (Integra engine swap) out there, and just where do you think the engines came from?
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    I called up my insurance company and the quote I got from them for a 2002 RSX-S is only a couple percent higher than what I currently pay for my 1999 Integra LS.
  • Hello RSX fans.

I really don't know much about cars, but the time has come to buy a new one, so...

I want to buy a 2 door hatchback, and it seems that the RSX is in many ways just right (in large part because I don't want a Ford and the Golf/GTI seems to have too many problems). The thing is, will the RSX (or any high performance car) suffer from not being driven enough? Although I live in Southern California, I only drive about 10,000 miles per year, and I'd say that 80% of that is on short runs on surface streets. The other 20% is freeway/highway driving. To be honest, a Hyundai Accent GS would probably be adequate or even preferable for the 80%, but I want something more substantial for the 20%. Since I can afford only one new car, I have to go for something like the RSX; I want the side airbags, not to mention the added power. But, would treating an RSX like this cause any problems? Does an RSX need to be driven more frequently at higher speeds?

Also, is there a best time of year for buying a car like an RSX?

Thank you for any help.
This discussion has been closed.