Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    Michaell said:

Not sure we could have done that as easily in the V60.

The V60 cargo is pretty tight for its class, but the vehicle certainly handles nicely in sport guise and returns fantastic fuel economy without sacrificing power (T5 drive-e). Rear seat leg room is even tighter than the cargo.

I'm thinking we'll see a revamp of the entire Volvo line staring with the XC90. Perhaps Chinese ownership will play favorably for Volvo. Time will tell.
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

I'd like to epoxy my garage floor, but moving everything out at this point would be a week-long project, and I'd have to rent or buy some sort of little dollies to get the tire machine out. And then I'd need a couple of guys to get it back in (uphill). So I think I'd rather buy the snap together tiles and just tile the actual parking areas. It is way more expensive but would be so much easier for me.

Garage flooring is on my long-term project planning, but I'm thinking porcelain tiles instead of the plastic snap together variety. I work on my own vehicles and I don't want fluids draining through the tile seams and onto the concrete. Same goes for water draining off the car after a storm.

The tiles would look something like a dealership showroom, and the cost, if I do it on my own, would be about the same as the snap together tiles. It's a lot of work and I have other projects in front of it, including the solar system that will tap out our home improvement fund for awhile (installing today).
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
    tyguy said:

Michaell said:

Not sure we could have done that as easily in the V60.

The V60 cargo is pretty tight for its class, but the vehicle certainly handles nicely in sport guise and returns fantastic fuel economy without sacrificing power (T5 drive-e). Rear seat leg room is even tighter than the cargo.

I'm thinking we'll see a revamp of the entire Volvo line staring with the XC90. Perhaps Chinese ownership will play favorably for Volvo. Time will tell.
    ty - thanks for the feedback. Wife would want AWD, so the T5 drive-e is not a contender. I did look at one in the showroom and there was more space behind the rear seats than I would have thought.

Wife will want to take a close look at the V60, XC60 and XC70 (if that model is still available) before making a final decision. I'm trying to convince her to do European Delivery.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

You got a good deal, you're getting a new car and they'll be paying you something back....why don't those things ever happen to me.

That's easy. Pay off your 535ix and trade it in on a 320i. :)
    Yeh, but, it sounds like Mike is trading up to something he will like better. If I did that I would be trading down. Then again, maybe it is all just a mental thing, maybe I would have to tell myself I am trading up because it would be for the better.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    tyguy said:

Garage flooring is on my long-term project planning, but I'm thinking porcelain tiles instead of the plastic snap together variety. I work on my own vehicles and I don't want fluids draining through the tile seams and onto the concrete. Same goes for water draining off the car after a storm.

The tiles would look something like a dealership showroom, and the cost, if I do it on my own, would be about the same as the snap together tiles. It's a lot of work and I have other projects in front of it, including the solar system that will tap out our home improvement fund for awhile (installing today).

Funny enough, my solar is almost paid off. Only about $2500 left on the loan.

I wondered about fluids on the snap together tiles, but they claim it is not an issue. So I imagine they lock together tightly, not unlike a simulated wood floor in your house.

So is there not an issue with porcelain in the breakage department? What would happen if I dropped a pneumatic gun on it?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    driver100 said:

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

You got a good deal, you're getting a new car and they'll be paying you something back....why don't those things ever happen to me.

That's easy. Pay off your 535ix and trade it in on a 320i. :)
    Yeh, but, it sounds like Mike is trading up to something he will like better. If I did that I would be trading down. Then again, maybe it is all just a mental thing, maybe I would have to tell myself I am trading up because it would be for the better.

Going from a CLS to an E-class is not "trading up" to most of us. Smaller car, lower price point.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@Michaell‌ said:

"Going from a CLS to an E-class is not "trading up" to most of us. Smaller car, lower price point."

The CLS is the same size as the E400 in term of wheelbase, exterior dimensions, same weight, etc.  The E has more interior space, shoulder room, legroom and trunk space.  Both come with the same identical equipment, options and standard equipment.

The CLS has a 402 hp V8 while the E400 has a. 330 hp V6.  The CLS is $10,000 more expensive, car for car.  

I look at it from a comfort standpoint and improved fuel economy.  The E400 is much more comfortable for me in terms of height and visibility.  Most importantly, the E400 is easier for me to get in and out of.

Is it a step down?  Yes, in terms of initial cost or MSRP.  In terms of resale, the E400 holds a higher % of resale value year to year.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    robr2 said:

driver100 said:

Now, I think we are getting OCD about garage floors......like who is going to notice? In 90% of homes the garage floor gets covered with worthless junk (especially in the South where they don't have basements) and the $40K car sits in the driveway.

Now now - some people treat their garages like shrines. Others obsess over their neighbor who cut down trees.

:)
    I don't obsess about my neighbor any more......I just ignore him. I think he went to Sears and asked them to sell him the loudest possible power mower money could buy. Then he waits for us to come home from shopping or something, and waits until we are eating lunch, and then he starts up his big noisy machine.

It's been a cool summer, I would say he used his pool less than 12 times, at that rate, the pool will probably cost him about $500 a swim over 10 years.

But, me obsess.............no way B)

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    nyccarguy said:

To me, an integral part of the car sales process is following up. Some dealerships completely over do it and bombard your email with hollow, computer generated emails for eternity.

Some sales people gently follow up with either a post test drive phone call or genuine follow up email to genuinely see if there is really is ANYTHING else they can do such as: I know we were too far apart on the trade, but I spoke to my manager and we can knock $X more off the price of the new car plus offer you complimentary X. or "I can't come up to your trade price, but we have a demo or executive driven car that matches your specs exactly and the discount will make up the difference for what we can give you for the trade and what you want."

The dealerships that leave me scratching my head are the ones who don't follow-up at all. My parents are looking to trade in their 2013 X5 that's only a year old. They visited a Mercedes-Benz Dealership and a Jeep Dealership looking at an ML 350 4Matic and a Grand Cherokee Overland. Now the Jeep dealer completely low balled the trade and offered $31K for it (in his defense, he did tell them to try and sell it to the BMW dealer). The MB dealer offered i think $39K which is not that much off of what @qbrozen says the car is worth. Neither place has bothered to follow up. What gives? Are they too busy? Do they not care?

They don't want the X5 unless they can steal it from you. Since they can't, they aren't interested and don't care. To trade or sell a 1 year old vehicle is usually brutal. At first, I thought my Buick could be replaced with a new Highlander but after running the hard numbers, it would have been a disaster. I've come to really enjoy the LaCrosse so no messing around for at least 3-4 years. Grat cruiser and cheap to maintain.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

@driver100 said:

"I don't obsess about my neighbor any more......I just ignore him."

For someone who does not obsess or who ignores his neighbor, you have enough surveillance information on him to prove him of being guilty of "under usage" of his swimming pool this summer and additionally enough evidence to find him guilty of exceeding the allowable decibels permitted for a lawn mower in Canada - not to mention the fact he went to Sears to buy it which is another guilty charge.

Driver - it would appear you do not obsess about your neighbor any more than I obsess about buying a new car every year or the posters here who don't obsess about garage floors.

Now be honest driver - what brand of undershorts does he wear?

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    fezo said:

Fezo said: I'm a gas stove person. What a difference when we switched out the propane fof NG. Water boils twice as fast. Have gas wherever possible - furnace, hot water, stove and clothes dryer. The electric bill still makes the gas bill look tiny.

I had no idea that propane had less heat than natural gas (NG). When we built our house 5 years ago we splurged and put in a nice 5 burner propane gas stove. It was our 1st time with gas. We were shocked that pasta water took longer to boil than our old electric stove. Where I live NG is not an option, so I guess we'll live with it since we have a propane furnace and fireplace:(

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    So is there not an issue with porcelain in the breakage department? What would happen if I dropped a pneumatic gun on it?
    From what I've researched the keys to success are proper support under the tile (solid substrate with even mortar), and buying a tough tile. I think chips can still happen, but porcelain has color throughout the tile to minimize visibility. Gear heads seem to be the ones installing porcelain, so I'm kind of relying on their experiences which seem to be positive. Lot of work, though. Did I mention that yet? Lot of work.... :-)

• Options

ty - thanks for the feedback. Wife would want AWD, so the T5 drive-e is not a contender. I did look at one in the showroom and there was more space behind the rear seats than I would have thought.

Wife will want to take a close look at the V60, XC60 and XC70 (if that model is still available) before making a final decision. I'm trying to convince her to do European Delivery
    Euro delivery would be an awesome experience! I'm crossing my fingers Volvo will pair the turbo 4 with the AWD soon. Something about the size of the newer motor not working with the existing AWD designs kept it out of the current generation cars.

Those are all beautiful cars. Have fun shopping!
  • Options
    abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

"I don't obsess about my neighbor any more......I just ignore him."

For someone who does not obsess or who ignores his neighbor, you have enough surveillance information on him to prove him of being guilty of "under usage" of his swimming pool this summer and additionally enough evidence to find him guilty of exceeding the allowable decibels permitted for a lawn mower in Canada - not to mention the fact he went to Sears to buy it which is another guilty charge.

Driver - it would appear you do not obsess about your neighbor any more than I obsess about buying a new car every year or the posters here who don't obsess about garage floors.

Now be honest driver - what brand of undershorts does he wear?

I have to watch him swim....the trees haven't quite grown in yet and our kitchen has windows that face his pool. He was out there yesterday contemplating the world as he sat back in a chair with a can of beer (Molsons Canadian) and a cigar (couldn't make out the brand).

If I were to guess I would bet "Fruit of the Loom".

But, I don't let him get to me.....besides my SIL is a much bigger problem. His wife is now the breadwinner, she is driving my 10 year old bmw X3 with 150k miles on it, but, they are in Italy celebrating their anniversary. I may be different, but if it were me, I would use that money towards a newer car for her, so she could get to work....that would be a bigger priority to me than a trip to Italy. But, that's just the way I would do it. And, when the X3 breaks down I am sure I will be told about it...and probably blamed for it. So, my neighbor is only a 2nd obsession, quite a ways down on the list.

• Options

@driver100 said:

"He was out there yesterday contemplating the world as he sat back in a chair with a can of beer (Molsons Canadian) and a cigar (couldn't make out the brand)."

Driver, I have this feeling you sit in your kitchen or dining room and point a telescope or a huge set of binoculars at your neighbors house to catch him at every move.  No obsessing - right?

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Pretty sure Volvo is pushing to switch the entire line over to the new E series engines this year. The new XC90 is only coming with the 4s ( a couple of versions). They should be switching over the stragglers too.

so Michael, if you are looking a year or so down the road, I think you will be safe.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited September 2014
    driver100 said:

@driver100 said:

"and a cigar (couldn't make out the brand).
    If I were to guess I would bet "Fruit of the Loom".

LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    stickguy said:

Pretty sure Volvo is pushing to switch the entire line over to the new E series engines this year. The new XC90 is only coming with the 4s ( a couple of versions). They should be switching over the stragglers too.

so Michael, if you are looking a year or so down the road, I think you will be safe.

Good to hear!

Yes, it will be several years before we get serious ... unless the wife changes her mind (women's perogative). She still likes the CX-7, and with only 55K miles on it, should have a lot of life left in it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Venture...nice write up on your Fusion. Ford seems like they're selling a lot of them. I see several every day. I think they're one of the best looking cars I've seen on the road currently.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    venture said:

5,000 MILES WITH THE 2014 FUSION TITANIUM AWD

My ramblings got a little long so feel free to skip this.
    I’ve been down the luxury car road and I’m not going back. In my opinion there’s a spot where the lines cross between getting what you pay for and paying too much. I like to stay near that spot.

I read every word and enjoyed your review. The last Fusion rental car I had was about 4 years ago, and I was very impressed. Like I said then, I could easily live with the Fusion. It was a 4 cyl but had plenty of power, I had to actually look at the engine to make sure it wasn't a 6.

I like the styling of the new Fusions but, I actually like the styling of the previous models even more. But, there's lots of nice features the newer edition has.

I agree with your analysis too....certain cars are available for a reasonable price.....and they are probably all anyone really needs. It's like buying one of those barbecue chickens at Costco or anywhere. For $6 we get 4 full meals from one (2 each) and I can make 1 or 2 chicken sandwiches, works out to less than $2 a meal...is this a great country or what!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Driver, I have this feeling you sit in your kitchen or dining room and point a telescope or a huge set of binoculars at your neighbors house to catch him at every move. No obsessing - right?
    I am too obsessed with wondering about my SIL to obsess over my neighbor.....I just observe that guy.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    venture said:

Exterior styling is,

Nice write up. I enjoyed the information. Thanks.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    venture said:

Yes, the interior is black – my favorite interior color.

You're part of the problem, then. ;)

Seriously, good review.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    edited September 2014
    @venture

Nice write up on your fusion! I completely agree with you that it is "one of the most attractive cars out there in this price range as well as many cars costing much more." It is also nice to get compliments on your car from strangers and car people alike. I often get compliments on my Prelude, never once on my BMW. The BMW is a special car to me, but is fairly ubiquitous among the sea of German metal on the road.

Ford definitely makes some cars I'd put on my list if I were in the market. The Fusion Titanium, Mustang GT, Focus ST, Fiesta ST, Explorer Sport...

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Nice writeup on the Fusion. They are the best looking thing in their piece of the market,

I get a call from my brother up in Maine who I haven't seen in a while and at one point ask if the car census is the same as last he was up. He had a PT Cruiser that he really miled up and his wife had a Saab 9-3. He tells me both of those had died. His wife has a Jetta and my brother has a Volt! I was stunned. They own the Jetta and he's leasing the Volt. His theory is that the technology is moving so fast that by the end of the lease there will be a better version. If not, he'll buy what he's got. Lease was $5K down, $300 a month and 15K miles per year.

I did tell him he's got two cars I'd lease. The VW just because I don't think I'd ever want to own an out of warranty VW.

Q - do tell about the solar. I'm investigating. The fly in the ointment might be that I'd have to put a new roof on the house.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,882
    nyccarguy said:

I often get compliments on my Prelude, never once on my BMW. The BMW is a special car to me, but is fairly ubiquitous among the sea of German metal on the road.

That's funny you said that. When I had my BMW a lot of people would say, "How do you like that"? Not "Nice car" or anything else.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    fezo said:

Q - do tell about the solar. I'm investigating. The fly in the ointment might be that I'd have to put a new roof on the house.

Our solar contractor just connected our solar system to the grid about 2 hours ago and the power meter immediately started running backwards. That was a beautiful sight. In the next couple of days we'll have software that will track the system's performance through our mobile devices.

The biggest decisions we encountered were:
    1. Panels - we avoided anything China-based and looked for something around 16% efficiency. There are even more efficient systems, but cost was a bit prohibitive for us.
    2. Inverter(s) - you can go with micro inverters, one per panel, or a single inverter. We went with a single inverter mounted in our garage and optimizers installed on each panel to deal with shadows and maximize production. There's advantages and disadvantages either way.
    3. Size/location - often based on cost, power generation desires, and roof setup. Ours should cover our rather modest electrical usage.
    4. Lease vs buy - personal preference, but I'd only purchase them myself. Leasing adds some complexity when it comes time to sell the house.
    5. Contractor - big outfit or a small one? In the end we went through a Costco partner.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    edited September 2014
    tyguy said:

fezo said:

Our solar contractor just connected our solar system to the grid about 2 hours ago and the power meter immediately started running backwards. That was a beautiful sight.

Excellent & good luck!

Here in the hottest place on the continent occupied by more than 5000 people (gets rid of Death Valley), one of the biggest utilities is pulling all kinds of tricks to discourage people from becoming self-sufficient or, worse yet, from generating excess electricity that they have to pay you for.

Follow the money.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    The Costco contractor is something I hadn't thought of. So far I've tried with two lease outfits and have a bit of an issue with the. One has the monthly cost of the lease on a scale that escalates over the 20 years. I'd much rather own them so if I sell the house in the next 20 years it's not an issue. I've tried being a whole lot more careful about conservation and that has helped a lot.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options

Great write up on the FUSION.  Whenever I see one on the road, I admire it's styling and stance.  One of the better American cars - without doubt!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    nyccarguy said:

I often get compliments on my Prelude, never once on my BMW. The BMW is a special car to me, but is fairly ubiquitous among the sea of German metal on the road.

In order of most comments received:
    1. Triumph Speed Triple, 2002 (Tie)
    2. Wrangler Sahara(I guess it looks clean for its age)
    3. 318ti Club Sport

Nothing else ever gets a nod or comment...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

nyccarguy said:

3. 318ti Club Sport

Anyone who knows cars should notice the MazdaSpeed too. Amazing cars.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    In my neck of the woods only other Mazda owners know what a Mazdaspeed is; to everyone else it's just another subcompact...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited September 2014
    venture said:

nyccarguy said:

3. 318ti Club Sport

When we go away on vacation a lot of people offer to take the 535 out for a spin for me.....some say they will do it every day.

People can be very generous!

• Options
    driver100 said:

venture said:

nyccarguy said:

3. 318ti Club Sport

When we go away on vacation a lot of people offer to take the 535 out for a spin for me.....some say they will do it every day.

People can be very generous!

LOL That's very nice of them.

• Options
    You want an anonymous car that no one comments on? Try a grey 04 Mazda 6 wagon.
  • Options
    You should try a silver accord. Forget comments. That is totally invisible.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    minivan for the win! haha.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    well, the good side of minivans, other than their utility, is how many people you meet trying to find your car in a large parking lot. "oh, it's a silver Odyssey." Good luck.

You'd think the 6 wagon might gain some note just because they're reasonably rare. Maybe if it was red....
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    @venture, what kind of mileage are you getting? 5k is far enough along to get a ball park average.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    fezo said:

well, the good side of minivans, other than their utility, is how many people you meet trying to find your car in a large parking lot. "oh, it's a silver Odyssey." Good luck.

If you want to be able to find your car in a large parking lot, install a quarter wave CB whip antenna on the rear bumper. 102 inches (8.5 feet) long. On the top of that, hang a flag, or a red ribbon, or anything that will be visible from a distance.

The only way to be more visible is to drive a monster truck that is itself 8.5 feet tall!
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    fezo said:

You want an anonymous car that no one comments on? Try a grey 04 Mazda 6 wagon.

My bet would be on a silver gray Toyota Corolla for best car to drive if you want to be incognito.

• Options

@fezo said:

"You want an anonymous car that no one comments on? Try a grey 04 Mazda 6 wagon."

That would work.  But what about 2006 beige Toyota Camry with cloth interior, no sunroof, hub-capped wheels, and 7 or 8 door dings and a punched in rear bumper?  About as anonymous a car as you could find here in south Florida.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434

I've said this before, but our Pilot (Polished Metal Metallic) is waaaay to common around here.  My wife sees 2 or 3 of them parked in whatever row she parks in.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    that is one nice thing (among many) about the RDX. Still uncommon enough that you can find it in a crowd. Though we do seem to have a pretty popular color on them.

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    henryn said:

If you want to be able to find your car in a large parking lot, install a quarter wave CB whip antenna on the rear bumper. 102 inches (8.5 feet) long. On the top of that, hang a flag, or a red ribbon, or anything that will be visible from a distance.

The only way to be more visible is to drive a monster truck that is itself 8.5 feet tall!

I just use the panic alarm....

• Options
    that is how the car salesmen find the one they are looking for. walk around the lot pushing the alarm button until something lights up.

• Options

@stickguy said:

"that is how the car salesmen find the one they are looking for. walk around the lot pushing the alarm button until something lights up."

Exactly right!  Push the panic button on the key fob and the car you are looking for "calls to you!"

Reminds me of what happened at my dealership one day.  A salesman pulled 3 keys and took a customer out to the lot to show the 3 cars.  About 20 minutes later the salesman comes back inside the showroom to inform me (manager on duty) that he could not find any of the three cars.  Since all three cars were the same color and model, I told the salesman to pull two other keys (I gave him the stock numbers of two identical cars) and show those cars to the customers and I asked him for the three keys he originally pulled.

I called three lot boys up to the showroom and told them to locate the three cars (we had 400+ new cars out on the lots).  About an hour later, they returned and told me they could not find any of the three cars.

I informed the dealer principal and he directed me to immediately do a total new car inventory.  It took me 9 hours using 6 employees trying to match keys to cars.  We found 14 cars that were supposed to be in inventory that were unaccounted for. I checked all dealer trades and accounted for 2 of the cars leaving 12 missing.

I contacted the police department and filed reports on 12 stolen cars.  The detectives decided to set up a set of 2 details to watch the lot for 1 week.  I got a call at 4:00 AM one morning that they had caught two of my employees (a lot boy and a salesman) taking cars off the lot without permission.  They had uncovered a theft ring that had hit other dealerships in the area.  Luckily, insurance covered the stolen cars but only after some hefty deductibles.

They never recovered any of our stolen cars.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

I just remembered another incident with a salesman.  I got a call from one of the local police departments at 1:00 AM that they had stopped a speeding car on a major street artery that had a set of dealer plates on it and no registration.  The police claimed it was one of my salesmen with two girls in the car who claimed that I had given him permission to take a car off the lot for the night to show the car to some clients.

Of course, that was a lie and I told the police that it was not true.  I had to go down to the station, identify the employee and sign a statement that it was against corporate policy to have an employee take an unregistered vehicle off property unless the dealer principal had approved the request and tons of paperwork signed, copies of drivers licenses, etc, none of which took place.

The employee was charged with grand theft and I had to appear in court as a witness for the prosecution.  He took a plea and ended up on prison for 3 years.  The police had impounded the car and it took us three weeks to get that car back in inventory.

The car business is not a glamorous profession as evidenced by these two stories "from the dark side of the business"!

2021 Genesis G90