Options

2014 Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

So my 02 Accord finally quit. I'm looking for a 2014 lease in SE Michigan. I'm fine with a LX CVT but I need to lease. Any tips for getting the best offer?

Click on my user name brian125 and read some of my prior comments posted. click on my 2755 posts . You will find great buying tips and advice on how to make a good deal.

You also need to post in the Accord leasing forum to get the correct leasing numbers for your lease. residual, money factor, miles, cap cost etc. Once you have the correct numbers use my buying approach with emailing dealerships and working your best deal online and via phone calls to dealerships. Once you make a decent deal go down to dealer to seal the deal.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    chrisyakchrisyak Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2014
    Thank Brian125 for all your help and your strategy for buying.

I got a 2014 Honda Accord EX-L for $24,169 and with the Taxes and all OTD $26,721.79 and got a couple of bonuses but won't mention at Autonation Honda Valencia.They also actually gave me a very fair price on my trade-in which I was not expecting. BTW very good guys to deal with unlinke some other dealers who have not caught up with internet in SoCal.

Am very happy with my deal and car! Thank you for your assistance.

Question about the extended warranty's .....you can purchase online, do you think they are worth it and what would be the best deal? I think they offered me a bumper to bumper for 80,000/70month for a extra $1,000 does that sound right? ...lol....
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    chrisya,

What happen to the last 2 months on that offer 72 / 6 yrs..

$875 to 1100 is the better pricing on above warranty. your right in that window price.

The question is after the Honda's 3 yr, 36k mile warranty is up was it worth spending another 1000 dollars to cover this car for 2 more yrs, 10 months. or 80k miles.

Here are my thought on warranties. Piece of mind for some. I don't buy them. Most car buying experts will tell you Save your money its not worth it. Your transmission is what will cost the most if it goes. Pricing On trans. can cost 2500 to 3500 dollars depending on new or rebuilt. Off coarse a dealer installed transmission will be more. Not many go at 4, 5 and 6 yrs.

I buy a Honda for quality, build, and resale value. I will roll the dice with no warranty on a Honda every time. Never got burned yet. I have owned 4 Honda vehicles. I can say the same for Toyota I had 3 with little to no problems.

• Options
    lazboyslazboys Member Posts: 6
    I had a few dealers in Houston quote for a 2014 Honda Accord LX.
    The best price I got back is

INTERNET PRICE/SALES PRICE 18,780.00
    DEST CHARGE $790.00
    ACCESSORIES $499.00
    PAINT & FABRIC PROTECTION $299.00
    SUB TOTAL $20,368.00
    STATE SALES TAX(+) $1,241.81
    DEALER DOCUMENTARY FEE(+) $150.00
    VEHICLE INSP. FEE (+) $39.50
    LICENSE$ TITLE $ (+) $99.55
    DEALER'S INVENTORY TAX $47.56
    CASH BALANCE ON VEHICLE(=) $21,946.42

The $299 for fabric protection can be take off which brings the price to $21647
    Can you experts advise if this sounds like a good deal.

Thanks
  • Options
    Invoice on your lx model = 20,829 your deal is 2049 below dealers invoice. when you start to add 299 for paint protection and 499 accessories {which ones} you did not list this deal starts to get worse. Doc fee's is another 150 dollars off your price.

Try to Get dealer to knock off Paint protection and negotiate down accessory package. Doing this should make deal a good one.

Wheel locks, and splash guards can be bought online for 90 dollars, Truck liner 90 . Nitro in tires is B.S. don't fall for that one, or Paint protection.

• Options
    Brian,
    The accesories include (Wheel Locks -Lifetime Tint -Nitrogen Upgrade,
    -Trunk Tray -Splash Guards -Door Edge Guards ) which I am least interested in. The internet manager agreed to remove the fabric and paint protection.(299).

If I can get the accessory package off, I think it should be a sweet deal, correct ?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I would tell selling dealer to split the cost of the 499 package and you will agree to buy vehicle today. Tell dealer you have same car at another dealership you are considering. So ask dealer do you want the sale before I go to Mikes Honda. Make sure you name the other dealership that is close to them. This is called negotiating with leverage. If you don't push dealers into thinking you will buy elsewhere they will keep stringing you along hoping to ware you down and get there price and not yours.

• Options
    terpman1terpman1 Member Posts: 1
    Brian - thanks for sharing your insights. What would be a good target off invoice price for buying a 2015 EX-L (no navi) in September?
  • Options
    no110splayerno110splayer Member Posts: 3
    Hello All & @brian125‌

I contacted almost every dealer between Milwaukee, Madison, and North Chicago. I live in Milwaukee and I was only able to get 2 dealers even close to my out the door. Here are numbers can you tell me if ok, good, or great deal? I know there is accessories, as I did not want them however they would only give me half price but this dealer was still cheaper otd than anyone.

MSRP: $23,545
    Vehicle Price including destination: $18,601
    Accessories (mats $0, auto butler exterior 5 year $399, carwashes $0, theft detterent $199)= total $598.
    doc prep fee: $298.97
    Title/ License: $99
    Sales Tax 5.6%:: $1,091.89

Total OTD: $ 20,688.86
  • Options
    popularbhaskarpopularbhaskar Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2014
    Hello @no110splayer‌

I am in Milwaukee (Greenfield) as well and i am looking for an accord as well. What dealership are you looking at? I got the similar price from (napleton honda in Lansing IL) as well? I looked at wilde, boyland and looked at honda city chicago etc.

May be.. We can team up and bring some more savings. Let me know!

I will send you my number by message.
  • Options
    terpman1 said:

Brian - thanks for sharing your insights. What would be a good target off invoice price for buying a 2015 EX-L (no navi) in September?

2015 model pricing..................Invoice price to a few dollar's above or below.

• Options
    edited September 2014

Hello All & @brian125‌

I contacted almost every dealer between Milwaukee, Madison, and North Chicago. I live in Milwaukee and I was only able to get 2 dealers even close to my out the door. Here are numbers can you tell me if ok, good, or great deal? I know there is accessories, as I did not want them however they would only give me half price but this dealer was still cheaper otd than anyone.

MSRP: $23,545
    Vehicle Price including destination: $18,601
    Accessories (mats $0, auto butler exterior 5 year $399, carwashes $0, theft detterent $199)= total $598.
    doc prep fee: $298.97
    Title/ License: $99
    Sales Tax 5.6%:: $1,091.89

Total OTD: $ 20,688.86

This is still a good deal if your buying model is a Lx?........... you did not specify.

What is ...........auto butler exterior?????

• Options
    edited September 2014
    @brian125 Sorry LX model. Auto Butler is a paint protector, similar to a wax. I tried looking back at how you figured out how much under invoice, but didn't know if you added accessories, could you calculate for me?
  • Options
    @no110splayer‌
    Can you tell me the dealership where you were able to get that price. I am in milwaukee as well and that might help me.
  • Options
    @popularbhaskar at Honda of Kenosha. I worked directly with Sean Brady. This is for LX model. Tell them you want the exact price unless @brian125 thinks you can get better. Keeep me posted and good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks much @no110splayer . This forum has so much power. Did you have to haggle to get to this price and did you have to go in ? Also.. Did you opt for the Auto Butler or was it mandatory as i dont care about that? My ETA for purchase is end of this month too.

I was at Russ Darrow and they said they offer 110% price guarantee if there is a lower price. Their prices were ridiculous 20300 (price+destination) through Costco and Wilde Honda offers it for 19200 Destination included and they have great reviews and their doc fees is 166$ if that helps you.

• Options
    edited September 2014

Sorry LX model. Auto Butler is a paint protector, similar to a wax. I tried looking back at how you figured out how much under invoice, but didn't know if you added accessories, could you calculate for me?

Here is your breakdown and invoice price for your LX model.

LX invoice......................20,829

dest charge...........................790

Total..................................21,619........ minus your offer of 18,601. Then minus 299 for doc fee. Then minus 399 for paint protection.

This deal is at 2320 below dealers invoice at this point. Still a very good deal. Lx models sell lower than any other model.

• Options
    croftonhillscroftonhills Member Posts: 13
    Brian,
    I live in MD and there are still about 150 2014 Accord Sport Cedan CVTs available within 25 miles of me (at about 10 dealers). Best price I have so far is $20,877 including dest, $300 processing fee, wheel locks, mud guards, trunk tray, and pinstripe. I believe its a good deal but wonder if I'd get even more aggressive pricing at the end of October.
    Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    croftonhills;

As the sport models dwindle down dealers will start to add more accessories to them trying to make more money. Your at a very good price. Negotiate with as many dealers as possible asking all of them to beat your $ 2,348 below invoice price by a few more hundred for the sale that day.. Otherwise if you cant, your deal is excellent as it stands.

Good luck.

• Options
    arielbarielb Member Posts: 3
    Hi, everyone

I am going to buy 2014 accord LX. I have got several quotes. But I don't know how to decide my target OTD price.

A dealer said: "For the 2014 The out the door price is $20,576. This includes only splash guards and administrative fee. Sales Tax and additional options are at extra charge."

So the price includes des fee and doc fee? Is it a good deal?

“The price for a 2014 Accord Sedan LX would be $19,642 OTD. Prices include destination charge, admin fees and all possible Honda incentives (if qualify, Military/Grad) when using Honda finance program. ”

“The 2014 has an MSRP of $23,545 and my e-price is $19,699. These e-prices include the destination fee, but do not include the $199 administration fee that most dealers have or any added aftermarket accessories. ”

I think the second one is the best deal I have. So does anybody has idea about my target price?Which deal is good? Thank you!
  • Options
    I am in St. Louis. MO.
  • Options
    @no110splayer I got some more details if you are interested. Quote from Rosen Honda at Gurnee is 18808 destination included and you don't have to get those other stuf and doc fees is 166$
  • Options
    carbuyer435carbuyer435 Member Posts: 11
    good to see some of you having success, but here in western Massachusetts no one seems to want to go much past 1800 below invoice with 13 dealerships within a 1 hour drive from my house. i was at one today that picked my trade-in apart like a desert carcass and then low balled the trade in a rude manner, so i had to walk out. hoffman honda near hartford, ct offered me my target price but could not find my color. not sure if they were playing me, just trying to get me into the dealership or not but after this the general sales manager called to offer me a 2015 in my color for 25,293 plus 429 doc plus 135 rmv plus 1580 sales tax. still wish i could find a 2014 in my color for brian's elusive 2000 to 2500 below invoice!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    carbuyer435

Negotiate till months end. If 1800 below is your area's lowest price then this represents your area's selling price. Make the deal with confidence that you negotiated the best possible deal in your area.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I am looking to close in on this but need an expert advise, I was able to get the dealer down to

2014 ACCORD LX
    INTERNET PRICE/SALES PRICE 18,780.00
    DEST CHARGE $790.00
    ACCESSORIES $250.00
    PAINT & FABRIC PROTECTION $0.00
    SUB TOTAL $19,820.00
    STATE SALES TAX(+) $1,238.75
    DEALER DOCUMENTARY FEE(+) $150.00
    VEHICLE INSP. FEE (+) $39.50
    LICENSE$ TITLE $ (+) $99.55
    DEALER'S INVENTORY TAX $47.56
    CASH BALANCE ON VEHICLE(=) $21,395.36

I have another dealer quote me at $ 20746 ($19319 (with dest)+ Tax +TL + Doc fees). but adds accessory package of 1295. which makes the deal worse than the one above.

Whats the best way I can negotiate with one of the above and get my target price lower

Thanks
  • Options
    ilearnilearn Member Posts: 18
    I am in GA and looking at 2014 Accord EX-L w/Navi. I have received one quote of $26270 which includes dest. charge of $790. Still trying to get details about accessories and any additional charges. Will keep the forum posted
  • Options
    iecaviiecavi Member Posts: 2
    @brian125‌

Thanks Brian! I really appreciate your advice and sure will do my homework! I will keep you posted.

your model sports Invoice price with destination charge of 790 = 23,225

Your target price should be in the range of 1500 to 2300 below dealers invoice price after taking all dealerships doc fee charges into consideration.

If a dealers doc fee is $399 and your target price is 2k below then your telling dealers you will buy today for 2399 below dealer invoice. That's how you compensate and make this fee a wash on the bill of sale.

Tell both those dealers you are not ready to buy yet. Plain and simple. until you know what a good from a bad price is.

Click on my user name brian125, then on my page click on my comments 2752 and read thru as many of my comments and take notes on what I post in these forums, on how and when to buy. Buying advice and tips. Then you will have a better understanding on buying a new vehicle with confidence and the knowledge of pricing.

Emailing 10 to 20 dealerships internet manger or there dept with your target price to buy that day is the way to go. Read my prior posts and I guarantee you will make the best possible deal you could this month.

• Options
    @Brian

Any comments on my deal.

Appreciate your feedback. 

• Options
    edited September 2014
    lazboys,

1st deal is a good one at over 2k below dealers invoice. If you want to try for lower pricing bring more dealerships into the price wars buying closer to months end.

@stever dug this old post up that I wrote for someone in the CRV pricing forum. Apply what I talk about and see if better pricing can had .

Since you know what model, color you want follow my how to buy online strategy for best results. You already have a 2k below invoice price . Any price you could persuade dealers to go lower than that price is Icing on the cake. You are in the driver seat with 4 aces in your hand.

good luck.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    utesfan

Read your post.

What I would do is call all dealers I'm willing to drive to. Ask each dealers Internet manager or the internet team?

Do you have my model ?

What colors do you have?

Are there any added accessories in these vehicles?

What are your dealers doc fee charge?

Always get the managers name, email, and phone number before you hang up. Tell each place you will call, or email back later. You have not decided . Do not tip your hand with a price ............... You are collecting vehicle info SO your not ready to negotiate a deal yet until you conclude your vehicle search.

Once you make all your calls to target dealerships and collect this info you could now Re- start your negotiations............. Via email, or direct phone calls to each dealership.

In your calls, or emails here would be a example of what you say :

Hi Jim, Julia , Mike, Sal , Pete,

Just spoke to you about this model, color etc. I will buy this vehicle from your dealership right now for xxx below invoice price. this price includes the destination fee of 790. and excludes taxes and tags. I am willing to leave a credit card deposit till I could get down to your store to pick up vehicle.

Go down your list of dealers and negotiate online , via phone from the comfort of your own home. Once you strike a reasonable price deal with a dealership get dealer to send you a bill of sale by fax or at worst case some kind of email conformation with model, color and price on it.

Never trust any dealers word on pricing and drive extended miles without a written price/ model conformation.. You may get burned. If that dealer really wants your business they will put it on paper for you. By you giving them a credit card deposit shows you are a serious buyer and wont shop that price around town.

You extend your hand and so should the dealer. OR YOU WALK Away

• Options
    that is exactly what i am running into. dealerships farther away are telling me a 2014 white/ivory EX-L sedan is going to be hard to find and expect a deposit with signed commitment to buy before attempting to locate the car..

they are willing to email me a quote but not fax or scan any type of signed commitment back to me.

this requires driving extended miles to a dealership on an email quote with no real guarantee of price or that i will receive fair treatment on my trade.

i have had to walk out of 3 local dealerships in the last two weeks and am starting to get tired these games.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    wait til the very end of the month. You may get one of the further dealers to bite. Unless you are specifing i will buy from you today dealers know you will shop that price around town. If your not commiting to the sale...................... neither will dealer.

I say this like a broken record in these forums. the game starts the last week of every month going to the last days. Buying a car is like a good game of poker... Never tip your hand first or the dealer wins.

• Options
    seemore2seemore2 Member Posts: 1
    First, I would like to say this forum has helped me a lot. That is why I am going to share my experience buying a 2014 Honda Accord LX with cvt. Using the advice of brian125 I have negotiated a good deal.
    LX Invoice price with cvt transmission=21,620
    my price is $18,200 including destination charge.
    That is $3,420 below invoice. I still have to pay tag, taxes, dealer doc. fee etc.
    but the bottom line price is out-the-door $20700...they even threw in mudflaps. The car does have about 50 miles on it but who cares at that price! Everything is shipshape!

I will tell you some florida dealers are resistant to having to negotiate a good deal on the internet. They want to get you into the dealership to play those oh so tiresome games of yesteryear. I had no trade-in so that made my negotiation a bit easier. Significantly, the end of the month is when you should start the negotiation process.
  • Options
    congratulations seemore2 !! (insert sound of angels singing)

i think this process may be making me a bit cynical, but one thing i noticed that i will pass long is that if you specify a color choice to any dealer it seems to become "the thing held for ransom" in their minds and as long as they have access to that specific color that you want they feel they have some special power over you.

i think Brian may have mentioned this earlier in passing, but it bears repeating that we should only ask what colors they have access to, NOT specify a desired color of choice we like the most and are looking for. at some point we would need to select a color, but perhaps not go into it looking for a specific color from the start.

i had a dealer this past Wednesday call and day "i've got your car!" meaning a white/ivory EX-L that no other dealer in the area has been able to locate. so we went down and he proceeded to low ball our trade and would not budge on price. upon leaving he said, " anytime you want to come back, remember we can get your color for you!" sure you can, jerk.

needless to say, if he had an entire lot of ivory/white EX-L's we would not be returning there to do business.

• Options
    Excellent point. supply and demand can be painful.

• Options
    space159space159 Member Posts: 3
    I want to buy a 2014 Accord Sport.
    The dealer quote in email is OTD $24,144.
    I gave my price OTD$22400 and he rejected. He said he might have middle numbers but we need to talk in face and I agreed.
    My target price is OTD $23,000. It seems higher than @brian125 suggested.
    Which number should I insist when meeting with the dealer?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    space159

1st off welcome...................... we will help you

We try to talk about and negotiate below invoice price numbers in this forum. Only because we know the exact invoice price. This is what everyone has to pay .. OTD numbers are meaningless to everyone in this forum who are not buying in your state. Your States taxes, DMV fees, and doc fee's are different then here in NY, or Chicago, Florida. etc.

Re-post this info for me before you go down to the dealership and waste your time. . Call dealer if you have to find out numbers. .

Find out what the selling price of your vehicle is in this........$ 24,114 ?

Does this price include the 790 destination charge? .............we already know that was put in.

What is this dealers doc fee charge ?

These 3 questions are the key factors which helps determine a good / bad deal with any new car purchase .

• Options
    Thank you @brian125
    I have a rough number of TTL $1650~1850. So, the invoice price including destination charge may be around, $22400. ?
  • Options
    samk7samk7 Member Posts: 13
    Hello @brian125 first of all I can't find suitable words to thank u... I really appreciate all the comments & advice u gave....Thanks to u buying a new car is not a complete mystery anymore
    I live in SoCal... I want to get a 2015 sport "bcoz i don't find my color in 14 anywhere" I started following your methods but am not sure wt would be the best deal for 2015 and wt would be my target price
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Your 2015 model could range as low as 500 below dealers invoice price but that could be along shot this month. Invoice price to a few hundred above is a good deal on a 2015 and should be your target price to buy.

When dealers lots start to fill up with 2015 models you will see the prices loosen up. When dealers are taking orders for your model Accord dealers have the price leverage.

If I'm buying a 2015 the day I call dealers is the day I'm buying.

• Options
    samk7samk7 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks a lot @brian125 for your quick response....I got an e-mail quote of $1500 (including dist & doc fees) below invoive price, looks suspicious they try to get me to the dealership....plz help me out wt exactly should I ask for before i go and where could the trick be.. also they ask if i have any written quotes from others...thanx in advance
  • Options
    2015 ACCORD SPORT
    $23555+TTL($1637)+DOC$95 = $25287.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    samk7 said:

Thanks a lot @brian125 for your quick response....I got an e-mail quote of $1500 (including dist & doc fees) below invoive price, looks suspicious they try to get me to the dealership....plz help me out wt exactly should I ask for before i go and where could the trick be.. also they ask if i have any written quotes from others...thanx in advance.

Sounds like a great deal if dealer is not lying. Get other prices 1st to see where your area's pricing falls on the 2015 model. There is nothing lost but your time if you go to this dealer.

Good luck......................... keep us posted on the 2015 numbers.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I have one confirmed price for a 2015 model sold for invoice price in Chicago.

I remember last year at this time a few dealers lured buyers into dealerships with low ball pricing.. Then said oh no that price is for a 2013 model not a 14.. .

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Invoice on the 2015 sport model is 23,361 includes dest / charge... Price from @Nada pricing web site .

Edmunds has the same model at 23,232 including the 790 dest/ charge.

• Options
    Brian! Do these prices rapidly shoot up on 1st or 2nd of Oct ? I know that i may be able to make it on 30th and put in a deposit if needed and i donno if i will have the time to complete the whole credit process after work and if i get a high APR then i have an approval from credit union but i need to fax docs in and get approved later within 48hours and they will send a check.

What do you recommend for folks like me.. I called 3 stores and saw no drop in prices anyways but it remained the same. I am fine with the current prices unless it goes up by 1000$ or so!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Good deals on the table may not be available after the end of the month. Secure deal before the end of the month. Ask all dealerships involved.

• Options
    mark337mark337 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the help here. Please advise. 2014accord sport for $21.495 including dest. $75 doc fee from Brewster Honda. Can they be trusted and is this a decent deal?
  • Options
    mark

Good deal in NY

• Options
    I got my 2014 accord yesterday. Price is $18801 +$199=19000 out the door. But I have to pay tax at the local DMV. brian125's comments are really helpful for me. Thank you!