Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• mommyottermommyotter Member Posts: 15
    Just curious if anyone else has noticed or has had an over abundance of BASE on their sterio? I have adjusted mine to -3. I like a little "boom-chug-a-luga" but fell there might be a problem.
  • greg115greg115 Member Posts: 1
    To 714 Cut:

I also noticed some rattling coming from the passenger side and determined it was coming from the passenger side seatbelt. If you pull it out a little and let the metal buckle rest against the side of the seat it eliminates the rattling. Also, anyone feel a sputtering or choking when releasing the brake from a complete stop prior to accelerating?
  • 714cut714cut Member Posts: 355
    I agree, that's what I do with seatbelt, but seems kind of absurd to do it on a new, expensive truck!

Haven't noticed the brake problem as you describe, but have noticed occasionally a slight pulsing or vibration when applying brakes lightly and/or from a slow speed. (no, it's not anti-lock!). You may want to have dealer check yours out.

Also as was pointed out to me, Sequoiasolutions has a great forum for all service, technical discussions. Check it out!
  • curious54curious54 Member Posts: 47
    IM HAVING TROUBLE DECIDING ON WHETHER GETTING A YUKON XL OR THE SEQ...PRICE RANGES ON BOTH ARE SIMILAR.....PLEASE HELP
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The Chrysler Town & Country AWD does not have a stability (skid) control system. Its AWD system doesn't really do anything to correct skids at all; I know because I drive one. If you haven't test driven the ML320/ML430, I suggest that you do so. It is very different than the Acura MDX and thinking that both are alike would be a mistake. If you would like a recommendation for a good MB dealership/sales person in your area, feel free to pop over to the MB M-class discussion topic and ask. Someone may be able to help you there.

Good luck!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • donlinodonlino Member Posts: 39
    Does anyone know if the Gold Package can be undone? I found one with it but I prefer the chrome standard emblems. The dealer said they think they can repalce the gold emblems with the standard chrome ones. I fear that they will scratch the paint when they remove the Limited emblem on the side of the vehicle. Any thoughts?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Popping off the gold ones is easy. This is how they install the gold ones in the first place.
  • thirdsuvthirdsuv Member Posts: 209
    If you gave your kids a choice of an "uncool" minivan with a video system + game station versus a "cool" SEQ without video, I'd bet the minivan would suddenly get much higher comments.

You'd probably save about 10K$ to boot.
  • beamupbeamup Member Posts: 2
    I just got my Sequoia a couple of weeks ago. We traded in a 1997 Town and Country LX van. I much prefer the Sequoia. To be honest, the driving isn't that different except we sit higher. But neither my husband nor I feel like we are driving anything bigger than the van.

We just got back from driving from Kansas City to Columbus, OH for a soccer tournament. We tumbled the two middle seats and put the little TV in front of them so the back row kids could see it. It was much better than in my van as the speaker was shielded by the seats. The kids watched movies during the 10 hour drive and Dad and I were able to talk or listen to the radio. IT WAS GREAT! One of the best driving trips we ever took. (It helped that we won the tournament, by the way!)

We had absolutely no problems! We did look at the Town and Country 2001, but I felt safer with the Sequoia. My old van was beginning to have some things go wrong with it, and I just didn't feel safe in a 4 year old American car.

Someone on another post mentioned the noise level (helicopter sound) made with the sunroof. We have a wind deflector on the Sequoia and the sunroof does NOT make the helicopter sound. We have also had a Previa and could not use the sunroof because of the helicopter sound. What a joy to be able to use the sunroof.

The only things I really miss that the Chrysler had are the memory seats (my husband and I are not the same size and must adjust the seat and mirrors each time we change drivers)and the fact that the passenger seat doesn't raise higher. (I really like sitting up higher.) I also miss the temperature control that let the driver have different heating than the passenger, but with the heated seats in the Sequoia, it is not a big deal (yet!).

We got a great deal on the new Sequoia at Town and Country in Sedalia, Missouri. They were able to find the exact Sequoia we wanted (black limited) in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and brought it to Sedalia for us to pick up. I've now driven it in snow and rain and absolutely LOVE it! None of the Kansas City dealers were able to find what we wanted without a several week wait. We are very happy.
  • donlinodonlino Member Posts: 39
    I've thrown in the towel. I made the decision that the Sequoia is just too big and can't get over that I feel like I am driving a small UHaul truck (I think it's the driver seating position relative to the long hood view). I am going to get a nice car for that kind of money and buy an old pickup when I need to haul things. Thank for the comments.
  • rreidyrreidy Member Posts: 1
    2500 miles on my SR5 Sequoia and zero complaints.
    Very QUIET compared to the '96 GMC suburban that it replaced. One question: does the dash board have a light indicating that the high beam lights are on?
    PS purchase price= invoice+$100 (Detroit)
  • traveling101traveling101 Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for your post. You are making this decision lean back TOWARDS a Sequoia again. I do think I will miss the dead quiet ride and the dead quiet heater/AC fan of the T&C. (I have a 1996 T&C and I am very suspicious of some major things that need to be repaired soon, so I NEED to trade it in for something SOON!)

But what I love about the Sequoia is the sunroof, the higher/safer positioning of the passengers, and the extra space in back for kids with the second row seats tumbled, I call it the Limousine ride! I just still feel like I will have trouble manuevering the beast around the 'burbs which is where I spend 99% of my driving year.

BTW, did you travel to the soccer tournament this last weekend?
  • jeffnjmejeffnjme Member Posts: 36
    I concur that if you find the Seq. toooo big don't spend your money. Presently I am going through the opposite--I picked up my Seq.(limited 4x4) last week-My wife was concerned that it was too big, and she indicated that she didn't want to drive it. After she drove it a couple of times she fell in love with it; it now appears that my Sequoia is destined to become hers. Oh well! Good luck with your decision!
  • procurareprocurare Member Posts: 7
    Welp, had the silly thing about four days, and I've found a defect. The rear driver door does not close properly. Time to call the dealer. I hope this is not too difficult to fix. Also, wow the bass sounds funny. I feel like we have a kicker box next to the engine.

Will keep you all updated.
  • goblazersgoblazers Member Posts: 4
    Signed PO. today for a special order, fully loaded SR5 from So Cal Can't wait to drive it back to PDX. I thought I did well at $3,200 of MSRP, but I see others on this board at $100 - $300 over invoice, oh well. Excited to get it in about a month.

I will definitely check out Tundra Solutions ..... heard it has great information.

Thanks to all.
  • rruck1rruck1 Member Posts: 91
    I had questions about the bass level as well. I was perusing the Land Cruiser forum a couple of months ago and saw that some people were so put out by the JBL bass problem that they were filing a lawsuit against Toyota. Just recently people started having their amplifiers replaced (under warranty) as Toyota finally recognized that there was a problem. I have never heard the stereo in the Land Cruiser, so I can't say if it is exactly the same problem. Folks in the TLC forum claim that their problem was much worse.
    Does anyone know if the stereos are the same in the Sequoia and the Land Cruiser?
  • seqladyseqlady Member Posts: 59
    just wanted to say that I also do alot of suburban driving, and the Seq is not difficult to maneuver at all...it fits in all the same spaces as my previous car (Grand Cherokee which was probably comparable in size to your mini-van and is also a disposable Chrysler product). The only big difference is backing up in tight parking lots...that can be a bit of a challenge, but it's just a matter of getting used to. I agree it is a beast, but it really handles beautifully and never feels as huge as it is!
  • morrymorry Member Posts: 24
    I noticed in message 1204 from 714cut that he is from Canada. How do the Seq's differ in our neighbor to the north? Also, out of curiosity, are they discounting up there and if so, how much?
  • comptech4comptech4 Member Posts: 10
    I surmise from the tone of your post that you have done your homework and searched various dealers in So Cal before settling on the one you ordered from. Where did you wind up ordering from, and was it a comfortable experience?
  • razzy2razzy2 Member Posts: 10
    I've got a 97 Explorer and I have to buy a new vehicle quick before something else breaks. I've driven a Sequoia and I like it a lot. But do I have a few concerns.

We have sloppy winters here in Canada and the rear window on my Explorer is often coated with a layer of crud. That's not a problem with a hatch/liftgate rear window. But the Sequoia rear window retracts. Even with the air deflector on the Limited I can see road salt and sand getting dragged down into the body of the vehicle. Anybody with experience on this?

Also, why is the color choice so limited on the Limited. I'd buy the Silver, but not with a gray interior. From what I see on Toyota's U.S. site the Desert Sand Mica with the oak interior looks nice, but it's only available on the SR5 and not available at all in Canada. Does anybody know if Toyota is planning a wider range of colors for the Limited?
  • jwamallsjwamalls Member Posts: 5
    I test drove a Sequoia, and thought it was quite nice. It's also 10K more than a comparable Expedition Eddie, and the turning radius is horrid. Is this worth $10K more? $2K? I am sure its a "better" vehicle, its Toyota, but the pricing in the face of Ford seems high.
  • carguy5000carguy5000 Member Posts: 146
    I am not sure where you are getting your pricing from on Expeditions but msrps are almost identical for a comp. equiped EB. Granted, when supply and demand are considered and the $1500 rebate or low financing are factored in, the EB will cost you less.
    As an owner of a loaded up 2000 EB, I must say my experience has been very good. The only thing that is disappointing is the rapid depreciation that the vehicle has.
    The Toyota product is very nice, it seems to be well built and looks to be a pretty good value. However, the way it looks is a different story!
    This week, chat with Edmunds.com's managing editor, Karl Brauer. The chat is tonight at 5-6pm Pacific:
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/brauerchat022701.html

Drew
    Host
  • vairman66vairman66 Member Posts: 3
    Well, after reading posts here for a few days and driving the Sequoia - I bought it. Had to do something quick - my '94 Eddie Bauer Bronco with 170k miles is leaking gas all over my driveway and needs alot of repair to keep going any further. Why Sequoia? Expedition seemed TOO big and ugly, never liked the GM interiors, Navigator just over-priced Expedition, Denali & Escalade just over-priced...everything else is too small. I got a 2WD SR5 Chestnut Pearl loaded (almost) $34k (not including $3500 for my Bronco).
  • chip1951chip1951 Member Posts: 8
    I am also from Canada. Being in a much smaller market, we don't have as many choices as our neighbors to the south interms of options. The MSRP of a SR5 is $50900 and limited is $59200. All numbers are Canadian $$ and include PDI. Both the SR5 and limited come with side air bags standard. One dealer in my city quoted me $47738 for the SR5 with so called Package 'B'. That includes alloy wheels, F&R AC, towing hitch, roof rack, JBL 10-speaker, div antenna, power front seats (non-leather/heat) and running boards. I was considering a limited Highlander. But for that price ($46600 firm and can't have side air bags) I think the SR5 is a much better deal. The salesman also says he could order fog lamps and put on SR5. I am really thinking.
  • procurareprocurare Member Posts: 7
    Well, I called Evanston Toyota. The head of service says, "nope, never heard anyone complain about the bass in either the Sequoia or the LC, HMMMMM. Told him he should listen to mine. Keep in mind that this is the same moron that told me that it is impossible to change the settings on the Remote that open and close the rear window - that was until I showed him a string of posts from Tundrasolutions. I will keep you all posted.
    "He brought you "Confessions Of a Car Salesman" to give you the inside story of his undercover work as a car salesman. For this chat, Chandler Phillips goes one-on-one with "The Cardinal", Dependable Dodge's own Marc Antonucci . Don't miss this battle of truths as these two give it to you straight."

If you haven't read Edmunds.com's confessions of a car salesman, I highly recommend you do so. Dianne and Steve, both of you may find this chat interesting, so I hope that you can make it. :-)

Drew
    Host
  • jwamallsjwamalls Member Posts: 5
    Exp. Eddie comparably equipped as LTD. is $34847. Sequoia Ltd is +$10K.
  • mmcgregormmcgregor Member Posts: 33
    I have found that at low volume the bass is overpowering. As I turn up the volume, the mid range and high end increase while the bass seems to stay at the same level. In other words, at higher volume the mix sounds better. I also noticed that the bass seems worse while not moving.

I contacted my dealer and he said he wasn't aware of Sequoia bass problems, only LCs. He contacted JBL and they informed him that the amplifier for Sequoia's and LC's are different.

I plan to stop in to my dealer and do a side-by-side comparison just to see how bad the LC is. I have a feeling that we need to get many more people to point out the booming bass problem in the Sequoia before anything will be done about it.
    Based on what I read in the Land Cruiser forum it's going to be difficult to get anyone to admit that there is a problem with the radio. I would agree that the problem abates as the volume increases, but I don't usually turn it up to that point, so it's always a problem for me.
    I sent a message to JBL yesterday, but got no response. They claim that they answer every email sent to them, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for a couple of days. Their web site is www.jbl.com and their customer service number is 800-336-4525 if anyone is interested.
    At the risk that you are misinformed, exactly which vehicles are you comparing? Are they both 4x4? Are they both 2001 models? Are you comparing msrp or what you see in the newspaper?
    Just as I do not think you are comparing apples to apples, the Ford price seems unreasonably low, ($43K(msrp)*.90%(discount)-$1500(rebate)=$37.2k(average transaction price)) just as paying msrp for the Toyota seems unnecessary as inventories are beginning to build.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    Prior to my purchase, I also found that I could buy a comparably equipped EB Expedition for about $9000 less than the Sequoia Limited, both loaded 2001 4x4s. This is based on what I could actually BUY the vehicle for, not MSRP or newspaper ads. The EB Expedition could be bought at $650 LESS than invoice at Phil Long Ford in Denver, with minimal hassling. Toyota dealers (like John Elway) were offering maybe $100-200 less than MSRP. LOL!

I test drove both vehicles extensively, and while the Sequoia is nice, it can't match the power/accelleration of the 5.4L V8 in the Expedition. I had numerous Expeditions to choose from, some with free sunroof packages (which I chose).

We decided to save the whopping 25% and bought the loaded EB Expedition from Phil Long. After two months, it has performed flawlessly, with absolutely NO problems, squeaks or rattles.

After reading a number of posts on this topic over the last couple of weeks concerning all the problems Sequoia owners are discovering, I am convinced we made the BEST choice, and saved a boat load of money. I invite any potential Sequoia buyers to at least visit a Ford dealer and test drive the Expedition. They may be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

I don't think jwamalls is/was misinformed. Perhaps the EB Expedition he's considering didn't have as many options as ours, or he might be getting a better deal than we did. Regardless, he's not far off.
    That was my point...what a difference a few months makes. Many on this discussion are implying that a Toyota unit is now available for a few hundred over invoice. If this is the case, the delta between the two units is much less than the $10k that he is suggesting.

I would like to know exactly what he is getting for the $34k that he is suggesting, my guess is that it is missing something (a roof, load level, heated seats etc.).

I do agree with you that many have the "attitude" that if it is made by Toyota, it must be better. My Expedition is a good product. It has features that are not available in the Toyota and it's ability to tow is second to none in this market.
  • randurandu Member Posts: 4
    I've been lurking for months and I must say I have found most of the information helpful and I have pretty much decided that my next truck will be the Sequoia (have to convince the wife to part with the explorer!!) however I am hoping that someone can help me. I think I am interested in the limited in Jade but I have not a clue on exactly what the color looks like (aside from the Toyota brochure) and how it potentially looks on the truck. Does anyone have a digital image or any feedback if they have seen it would be Greatly Appreciated!!
    I don't have the article in front of me, but the Motor trend tests seem to indicate that all the talk about the Sequoias lack of power are unfounded. This is strictly acceleration, I know that the larger engine in the Tahoe translates to more towing capacity, but I believe the acceleration times were best in the Tahoe, the Sequoia was second and the expedition was last. This was using the most powerful engines in the Expy and Tahoe, the base engine options in those trucks put them behind the Sequoia. That having been said, all the times were fairly close.
    This is all from memory, does anyone have the actual times from the article?
    beware digital images and brochures. I have yet to see an acurate representation of the colors. I won't suggest going to see one in person as it is unlikely that you could find one. I have not seen the jade anywhere.
    You can see the jade color on the 4Runners, Tacomas and Tundras. It is the exact same color. Stop by your dealers and take a look at one to see how you like the shade.
  • curious54curious54 Member Posts: 47
    This message is going out to anyone who purchased a Seq. What did you pay for your Seq?
    $2000 under MSRP plus a decent buck for my trade. This was for a 4X4 SR5 w/ Alloy wheel package, Convenience package, sun roof , power seats, rear climate controls, roof racks etc...
    MSRP was 39K and change.
  • dforrdforr Member Posts: 54
    I saw two Jade's last week at Palo Alto Toyota (Palo Alto, CA) on the lot, one an SR5, the other a Ltd. I preferred the SR5 as a result of the alternate colors on the flared fenders. The Ltd. fender flares were the same Jade color, making it greener overall.

Anyway, when you see it, you can form your own opinion. Looking at the Tundra's helps some, but not totally.

My best quote on an SR5 is $2500 off MSRP. Had to call around, but it can work if you are willing to shop a little.
    For perspective, I don't like the Thunder Gray, Silver Sky, Marlin Blue or Red. Have whittled the choices down to Desert Sand, Chestnut or Jade. After seeing the Jade in the SR5 style, it made my short list.
  • thebartthebart Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone one know if the Sequoia will have a rebate on them in late 2001? I was
    told by my Toyota dealer to 'keep dreaming.' But it makes sense they might....
  • trucklover2trucklover2 Member Posts: 18
    " I was told by my Toyota dealer to 'keep dreaming.' But it makes sense they might.... "

Yah think?

Rebates come out when they need help moving a vehicle not when they are jumping off the lots at MSRP.

Truck
    What are the odds of a rebate after the demand has cooled off say August or September?
    I know what rebates are used for.......
    Not very likely at all. Take a look at the Sienna. Those were hotter than blue blazes back when they came out in '98. They have cooled off considerable since then but we still have no rebates on them. Toyota uses rebates when they have too many units sitting on the ground. The Camry, Corolla and Tundra are larger volume vehicles that frequently have rebates. Unless demand just dies completely, I don't foresee rebates for at least 3 or 4 years.
  • dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    ...I am not a "jade" fan. Too much green! But, it helps those looking for one because it's the one I discount the heaviest when I can't change their colors prior to them being built!

To get a good look at color, the www.toyota.com site is great with the java script rollovers for color. I am, over time, trying to post cars and photos individually on the Sequoia (SUV) area of our website, but it's hard to catch a Sequoia that's available!

Dianne
  • dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    are you Cliff's wife?
    I wanted to alert the media if that was the case.

ROFL!
  • rckrausrckraus Member Posts: 5
    About 2 weeks ago, Spartan Toyota in Michigan included the Sequoias in stock as part of its invoice price sale. They had a silver sky SR5 4x4 with the alloy wheel package, convenience package, fabric captains chair seats, roof rack, dual AC, and a few misc. options for $34k.
  • grandma1grandma1 Member Posts: 1
    Dear Readers,
    Grandma wants to know if a Sequioa can carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat on the floor. If not, which SUV can. Grandma loves the sound a fine-tuned table saw and the smell of sawdust in the morning.
  • 1dog1dog Member Posts: 17
    What exactly does the alloy wheel package give you? Are the tires better? Better in snow? Do they look nicer? We will not be towing anything, but it does snow here! Please let me know if its a necessity- seems like everyone get the package. Thanks