Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Report Your Local Gas Prices Here

Comments

• jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    87 octane prices increased to $2.37 ~ $2.49 in my area. A couple towns over prices still holding at $2.20. Diesel holding at $2.39 with a few stations near the highways at $2.69. Haven't checked E85 in a long time.

These sudden "refinery issues" makes you wonder...
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    All our prices are up. ARCO has the cheapest diesel at $2.55. Same station selling RUG for $2.71

http://www.sandiegogasprices.com/ARCO_Gas_Stations/Oceanside/23612/index.aspx

Too far to drive. Most local diesel is $2.75. Cheapest Costco RUG $2.58.

I don't think the strike will end well for the Unions.

Managers bunk down at U.S. refineries as strike enters third week

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/15/us-refinery-operations-labor-strike-idUSKBN0LJ0HR20150215
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    Hopefully the control engineer from the article who quit thought over all everything before quitting.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Still $2.37 - $2.39 here as we got to venture out for car inspection this morning even though it was 5 below. A balmy 9 degrees now B)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2015
    Running on fumes this afternoon going to the dentist. Light was on as was the Low Fuel message on the instrument panel. Drove about 10 miles like that - my dentist was only a half mile from the cheap gas place in the middle of constrution so I drove down there and filled (~18+ gallons - plenty left B) ) for $2.01.

Went by the other cheapo station on the alternative route home and it was also $2.01, but forgot to see if it was still .5 or whether they went back to .9.

Lots of other places were $2.15 to $2.17 - seems like the creep up has eased off. Diesel and Premium are around $2.67 still most places.
    I filled the Touareg yesterday. It was at 651 miles. I stopped at a Shell on my way home rather than drive an extra 15 miles to get cheaper diesel. Paid $3.05 a gallon. Took 24.94 gallons in my 26.4 gallon tank. It was ARCO/BP ULSD and gave me the best around town mileage to date at 26.1 MPG. 2 MPG better than Shell, Costco or 76 and 3 MPG better than Mobil. Costco is still selling diesel at $2.77. Too far out of the way. Worst part is I could have filled at the ARCO near me on Saturday at $2.75. By Monday it was $2.99 cash of course. With the 3% with AMEX Shell was cheaper.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063
    gagrice said:

I filled the Touareg yesterday. It was at 651 miles. I stopped at a Shell on my way home rather than drive an extra 15 miles to get cheaper diesel. Paid $3.05 a gallon. Took 24.94 gallons in my 26.4 gallon tank. It was ARCO/BP ULSD and gave me the best around town mileage to date at 26.1 MPG. 2 MPG better than Shell, Costco or 76 and 3 MPG better than Mobil. Costco is still selling diesel at $2.77. Too far out of the way. Worst part is I could have filled at the ARCO near me on Saturday at $2.75. By Monday it was $2.99 cash of course. With the 3% with AMEX Shell was cheaper.

Ouch - $76 to fill the tank. I can fill my tank 3 times (almost 4) for the same amount of money here in Colorado. And go almost twice as far.

But, your Touareg is a much nicer rig than my Hyundai. So there's that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell Ouch - $76 to fill the tank. I can fill my tank 3 times (almost 4) for the same amount of money here in Colorado. And go almost twice as far.

Something interesting about Colorado and NM gas. On my trips through your state it was always the cheapest gas and the lowest octane. And it gave me the best MPG starting way back with my 1979 Honda Accord through my Toyota Sequoia. Looking at your gas buddy, you still have gas for $1.89, a buck a gallon cheaper than our cheapest. But your diesel is only about 30 cents cheaper than ours. The price we pay for 75 degrees all winter long. :'(

I am not complaining, a year ago I was paying over $4 per gallon for diesel. If it settles in at $3 for a while I can live with it. That was a months driving.
    gagrice said:

Michaell Ouch - $76 to fill the tank. I can fill my tank 3 times (almost 4) for the same amount of money here in Colorado. And go almost twice as far.

Something interesting about Colorado and NM gas. On my trips through your state it was always the cheapest gas and the lowest octane. And it gave me the best MPG starting way back with my 1979 Honda Accord through my Toyota Sequoia. Looking at your gas buddy, you still have gas for $1.89, a buck a gallon cheaper than our cheapest. But your diesel is only about 30 cents cheaper than ours. The price we pay for 75 degrees all winter long. :'(

I am not complaining, a year ago I was paying over $4 per gallon for diesel. If it settles in at $3 for a while I can live with it. That was a months driving.

I think the octane is lower due to the altitude - 85, 87 and 91 here in Colorado, and 86, 88, and 91 in NM.

RUG is $1.979 at my local Kroger; diesel is $2.639 at the same station.

I'm not against diesels; my folks owned a '72 MB 220D back in the 80's (CA vanity plate "REAL SLO") and I'd love to see VW bring over the GTD at a reasonable price point.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

lol, I bet there were some VW Bus owners back in that era who were bummed to miss out on the REAL SLO vanity plate.
    To show how fast the prices are going up here in San Diego. The sign out in front of Costco said $2.63 for RUG. By the time I got to the pump it was $2.67. Price went up 40 cents in the last 22 days. Still 95 cents cheaper than a year ago today.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251
    in central CT, RUG is up 20 cents in about 2 weeks.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited February 2015
    I scored filling up yesterday (although I didn't cruise by my usual station to check its price). The other cheap Murphy station was up a couple of cents to $2.03. And the .9 is back instead of the .5. So I saved about .36 cents. :)

Out toward the university, regular is running $2.15.
    edited February 2015
    Still frozen at $2.39 here
    We had a bump here yesterday .. Kroger RUG now at $2.039, up 6 cents. I still had enough points left over from January to get a 30 cent discount when I filled the Elantra yesterday - 11.5 gallons for an even $20.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    edited February 2015
    Dropped a penny to $2.14 RUG. Wonder what the LA refinery explosion will do...
    edited February 2015
    Missed that news @texases.

Here's one headline from CNBC - Explosion at Exxon LA-area refinery, gas prices spike.
    edited February 2015
    Because of the glut in oil, the oil companies are refusing to negotiate in good faith, resulting in strikes and a walk-out at the biggest refinery in Texas.

Or so one theory of the cause of the strike goes. :D

Whatever the reason, oil prices will likely zoom in the next few days so best go fill up or buy that hybrid.

Workers at Largest U.S. Refinery Walk Off Job (marketwatch.com)
    stever said:

Because of the glut in oil, the oil companies are refusing to negotiate in good faith, resulting in strikes and a walk-out at the biggest refinery in Texas.

Or so one theory of the cause of the strike goes. :D

Whatever the reason, oil prices will likely zoom in the next few days so best go fill up or buy that hybrid.

Workers at Largest U.S. Refinery Walk Off Job (marketwatch.com)

I would expect more and more non union workers to filter in and take over the jobs. This could be the end for the USW union. With a big unknown in feed stocks. Saudi may soon only sell refined products. Refineries are under pressure to quit taking tar sands oil. That is over 2 million barrels a day going to 57 of the refineries around the USA. RRs hauling crude are under pressure. No crude no refinery work. The unions picked a real bad time to strike.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Paid about $2.75 for Chevron PUG today, after cash discount - up about 10% from what I remember last.

Looks like some strikes can scare speculators - what I mean by that is that this is based on input price and demand, and logic.
    fintail said:

Paid about $2.75 for Chevron PUG today, after cash discount - up about 10% from what I remember last.

Looks like some strikes can scare speculators - what I mean by that is that this is based on input price and demand, and logic.

I paid $2.619 last night for Shell V-Power 91 for the wife's CX-7.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited February 2015
    Got a Shell $aver Card? Drive a lot so you can get more on Winsday.
    10 cent bump this morning to $2.49 :o
    stever said:

Got a Shell $aver Card? Drive a lot so you can get more on Winsday.

So what are the odds you will need gas on Wednesday following a Logano Win? I dumped my Shell Card when they quit giving 5% off on Shell Gas. I get 9 cents off on $3 per gallon gas/diesel every day with my Costco AMEX. At least until 2016 when Costco dumps AMEX.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251
    In central CT... paid 2.459 for RUG, up 32 cents in a month
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Cheapest fuel spotted last night:

$2.05 regular
    $2.69 diesel

Most regular is $2.19 with some stations off the Interstate exit selling it for $2.29.
    I paid over $3 for Chevron PUG this morning, even after the cash discount. Darn that supply and demand, no speculation or conveniently timed "strikes", nope.
    The blast injured four contractors and spurred the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health to shut down the affected unit.

Officials said the blast was partially to blame for rising gas prices in Southern California.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-exxon-mobil-refinery-blast-20150223-story.html
    Jeez, what a coincidence
    Who'da thunk it?? Up a dime to $2.59 here
    Price increases are daily in So California. Now Costco is selling RUG for $3.25 and Diesel for $2.95. It is times like these I really love owning a diesel.

http://www.sandiegogasprices.com/Costco_Gas_Stations/Chula_Vista/75686/index.aspx
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    AFter a reasonable holding pattern we've shot up 38 cents in a day over here. $2.55 at Costco.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Another dime up to $2.69 here
    Average San Diego Price for RUG $3.50. Costco RUG $3.25, Costco diesel $2.95
    edited March 2015
    “Every single state — all 50 of them — saw a price increase in the last week, with a common theme behind the increases: refinery this, refinery that,” DeHaan said.

In the last two weeks, refineries have faced a variety of problems including an explosion at a California plant, unexpected cold-related shutdowns along the East Coast and Great Lakes, and maintenance that’s beginning at other facilities across the country. (tulsaworld.com)

Oil glut forces producers to seek out more storage tanks (triblive.com)

But that's a crude glut, not a gasoline glut.
    Hell of a coincidence, eh? At least this time, the corporate media are admitting speculation is at play too.

Oh well, should make for a few new orchards of face brick and plywood tract mcmansions in suburban Houston, anyway.
    edited March 2015
    It could be a power play as well to get Keystone XL past Obama. Why should the refineries settle with strikers as long as they don't have a guaranteed supply of crude. 57 of our refineries are now capable of refining tar sands. Without Keystone XL they are stuck with a much higher cost of transport by RR.

Not to mention pipelines are far safer than RRs.
    edited March 2015
    There's already a "Keystone" to the Gulf - it's just full. So they want to put a shortcut to OK to add capacity and save a few hundred miles. I think the rest of it is already built. It is kind of fun to watch.I don't think POTUS cares - he's got Labor and the Greens pulling at him from both directions but the real pleasure must come from denying the loyal opposition something they want. Turnabout is fair play and it's business as usual.

The real irony will happen once the permitting is approved and TransCanada decides it's not economically feasible to build it. That's not too far fetched considering the glut and the continuing decrease in oil use. That's probably what the Greens are banking on too; a two year delay could accomplish that.
    A lot of truth to your thinking. No one is happy with $50 oil, so fabricate a shortage of refinery capacity. Pay me now or pay me later would be the oil companies mantra. The Greens think they can stop the Tar Sands from flowing. I just don't see that happening. It is a VERY BIG part of Canada's future.
    edited March 2015
    Filled up today; could have paid $2.12 just down the block. Also went by one of the cheapo places and it was $2.07 and people were backed up waiting for a pump. Up near I-25, RUG is $2.39 and diesel is $2.99.

It's a funny thing, neither side can win. The greenie weenies don't want Canadaland to extract its oil (and they need to, that economy is much more dependent on resource extraction than to the south), but the only way to prevent that is low oil prices. The greenie weenies don't want low oil prices, though, either, as they don't like seeing energy used (unless its in their own hypocritical oversized houses and dopey CUVs). The fracker strip miner set wants somewhat cheap oil - at least to a certain level to keep the people fat and happy and to create enough demand to keep their pipelines going, but it cuts into their profits.

The current "shortage" is definitely not accidental. Strikes and production issues come up all at once. Profit padding.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Oh, no. I'm pretty greenie and I love the low oil prices.

Let Canada build refineries.

My giant jump wasn't real. Had forgotten that as part of a get that pesky check engine light off I had the premium prices on my Gas buddy. Actually things look to be stabilizing again.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Paid $3.16 for Chevron PUG today, cash discount price (which is more than the Amex 3%)
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    Went down to SF bay area last week, stopped in Ashland to top up the tank at 3.15 for RUG.

Came home yesterday and stopped at the same station, was 2.93 for RUG.

What's up with that?

Still hanging at $2.69 here, but we never got as low as a lot of places. Nowhere near to $2
    $2.199 for RUG at the local Kroger. There were a few days a week or two ago where the price dropped to $2.159 but it went back up pretty quickly.

The best news is that now that we've traded in the Mazda both our cars now take RUG.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Costco peaked out last week at $3.25 for RUG. Today it is down to $3.17. Costco Diesel has stayed at $2.95 for last several weeks. Shell is down to $2.89 for diesel at a couple stations. RUG county average is $3.46.
  • skyisthelimitskyisthelimit Member Posts: 46
    Just stopped by CFN Fuel in Gibson Road in Henderson Nevada. Current Price is $2.45 for regular gas.
    edited March 2015
    Filled up in Tucson this morning for $2.31 for RUG (missed some at $2.17 last night - that Vallero jumped a dime overnigh)t. Was $2.07 passing through Deming NM. The van pulled ~22 mpg mostly going 5 over the speed limt of 75.